Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Jan 1, 2022 10:52 PM

Jul 2014
A 10/10 easy. Yuri’s death scene was especially powerful because they managed to connect the central theme of the movie about the changing times. And I felt that everyone got a satisfying conclusion to their arc.
PurpleRequiemJan 2, 2022 9:05 AM
"I only studied a little bit of history and I have learned there are two current thoughts in human history. The opinion that there are things worth more than human life and the opinion that there is nothing preferable to life. When the war begins, it is on the pretext of the former type of people and it justify the latter when the war ends"
Jan 2, 2022 4:02 PM
Mar 2021
This movie choked me up. I cried a lot during watching the movie
Jan 2, 2022 4:03 PM
Mar 2021
rissleitz8 said:
This movie choked me up. I cried a lot during watching the movie
15/10 for this movie
Jan 4, 2022 4:06 AM

May 2019
Amazing beautiful animation, 50/10, even if the plot was 7/10, so the result for me is still 10/10.

- The best cash-grab-milking continuation ever made in anime.

- Ann's story (ep. 10 of the series) was the strong epic point of VE, probably was part of the novel, and knowing it, that is why the screenwriter choose to milk it a bit more with a "70 years later".

- Not only that, the screenwriter took half of the movie with another version of Ann's story, now a kid dying first version. But i have to admit that it was so well executed that took the audience's heart the same way.

- Of course we have the Deus Ex Machina of Gilbert being alive for convenience. Man, bombs dont do the job anymore? But this fixed the most annoying part of Violet Evergarden character.

- The fact that she was emotionless to the point of almost inhumanity, even among kuudere cliches. Now with Gilb close, she turned into a teenager in love. The motto was "i learned about emotions, about what is love, and yes i love you too bwwwwaaaaaa". Oh it's cute and i preffer this way.

- Then they lived happy togheter, turning a small island-country with 800 habitants into the last letter fans of world in the era of telephone, even thought that place is so small that anyone can talk to each other a few steps away.

As I said, it has the soul and reasons of a cash-grab, but it was so well done that you might think the entire series was designed from the beginning to end that way.

It could be a entire disaster, but Kyoani was too competent. 10/10 indeed.
Jan 5, 2022 7:21 PM

Mar 2018
The wrap up to this story was as good as you could get as far as fulfilling and satisfying endings but the plot just didn't feel it lived up to the season. I still enjoyed this movie a lot and cried a lot but comparing the impact I felt, the season impacted me more.

10/10 for the season

9/10 for the movie
Jan 10, 2022 9:50 AM

Jun 2017
I would have preferred it if Gilbert was dead. The movie was a bit too slow. Some of the events were also predictable. I enjoyed watching it but it could have been better I think. 7/10.
Jan 13, 2022 8:06 PM

Jul 2019
It was refreshing to see familiar faces after a long break from the original series and supportive movies up to this night when I finally could watch this movie.

I agree with those opinions that the line between Violet and Gilbert is not as deep as they want us to believe and that without Violet's obsession, there would only not be a happy ending, but even their reunion won't ever happen. It was easier for the Major to stay in his shell until the end of time, and only numerous blows to his invisible armor helped Violet at least see his face. In this regard, I liked the meeting of two brothers more, based on the fact that without Gilbert, Dietfried would not have had leverage on his father, and therefore the opportunity to live life as he wants himself.

Now for the parallel mini stories. I think the best moment in the line of Yuris is the scene in which the younger brother thanks his cold corpse for the letter and the parents say out loud that they are happy, although you and I understand how wrong it is for children to die before their parents. This was the most obvious and quite skillfully executed tearjerker. Moreover, Iris fit very well into this scene with her phone and the perseverance of the future great Auto Memory Doll.

The story of Daisy, her grandmother Clara and the entire Magnolia family is perfectly woven into the irreversible evidence of the victory of technological progress over the slowness and charm of times when mechanisms were not standing on every corner, being ready for momentary service for the benefit of mankind. Change of generations is a painful process for those who are not alien to the sweetness of memories and love for the present. That is why the fact that Daisy sends her sincere apologies to her parents via handwritten letter, as she believes that more can be achieved through this ritual than in a simple conversation, means that the heritage of Auto Memory Dolls, although it has become archaic, but at the same time can subsequently inspire people through eternity of times. I dunno who was that granny museum curator but she also plays an important role as a symbol of former greatness of the profession.

Can I name "Violet Evergarden Movie" an ultimate masterpiece? No. Was I glad I took the time in the middle of the night to watch more than two hours of timekeeping? Definitely. Do I want to argue the hell out of how canonical this ending is? No. 8/10 for remembering how much this series brought colors to my life in due time and for Violet's soft cheeks.
Jan 15, 2022 5:10 PM

May 2014
After a long time waiting for BD-release and postponing the movie for myself, I finally took the time to watch it. And I was really impressed. More than I thought. It had a perfect ending. Very satisfying. Animation is better than both the first movie and the series. The OSTs were spot-on. Same with the plot. Some scenes were a big dragged though and the part with Yunis may not have been necessary but was a nice addition to the story. A fair 8/9.
Jan 15, 2022 5:12 PM

May 2014
invader6 said:
Railez01 said:

There is no season 2 of this. Source material run out. The latest is March 26, 2020 "Violet Evergarden Ever After" that title is already adapt and this the Violet Evergarden the Movie (2020).
I thought they only adapted Gaiden tho not the ever after story if so it wasn't present it seemmed and its hard to fit 2 lns in a movie without cutting and skipping a lot

I wouldn't complain if there were a sequel, but I am really satisfied with the ending of this movie. I don't want the reputation to be ruined just to milk cash out of the series. I hope they end the series with this so it has a high reputation.
Jan 15, 2022 8:47 PM
Jun 2020
I just watched the movie on Netflix and you have no idea how I regret not having gone to see the movie when it was in theaters in my country, it would have been worth every penny, as for the movie, well what can I write, I LOVED it and I cried so much that I even had to look for a handkerchief to wipe my tears, 10/10.

Thank you Kyoto Animation.
Jan 16, 2022 6:00 PM

Jun 2014
So, I finally got around to watching this one.

Like the series, this movie contained many emotional scenes. Yuris's death being the scene where I cried the hardest.

I was wondering if Gilbert had survived. I wasn't sure how they'd make it work, but the way that it was done made a lot of sense. The CH crew are gonna miss Violet, especially Claudia Hodgins.

This was a great movie. Everything about it is fascinating, and the amount of detail that went into it was extremely impressive.

Jan 16, 2022 11:25 PM
Nov 2019
Violet Evergarden: A non-chronological presentation of a story about a girl's emotional self-discovery through observing people around her via the method of letter writing.

Common misconcepted praise it gets is that it has "great animation" and thus it also gets many necessary counter conception clearance but that also invites unnecessary additional comparative criticism. Most common unnecessary criticism it gets is the use of extracontrast. Fans must understand Violet Evergarden doesn't have much to do with "animation" which is the smoothness of the movements of still frames. Rather it uses extracontrast to focus what's important and in front while blurring the background which is a simple choice of cinematography that isn't anything criticism worthy either. I would definitely want to see important things getting more focus. Another common unnecessary criticism comes from comparing it to a gem like Mushisi yet it's fairly different from that supernatural+sol show in various ways. The key difference is the "self-discovery" part. Ginko, the protagonist of Mushisi doesn't necessarily offer much of self-discovery rather it's story about the people he helps. That brings the mention of another polar opposite gem which is Kino's Journey. This one on the contrary is more about Kino staying neutral in most cases, observing the people and thus enrich herself with such observation, experience and philosophy. What sets apart Violet Evergarden is that it takes up the idea from both of them partiality and blends with the concept of self-discovery while helping others with an engaging plot that demands emotional exploration. Yet again the movie reminded me of how amazing the series is. Though first 30minutes or so kind of bored me with recapish parts; the series came to it's conclusion by the culmination of all the experience Violet got from writing letters via this movie. I do highly praise the dub version of Violet Evergarden but the whole cast is changed in the movie which heavily kills the mood so sub is recommended for the movie. This show will remain memorable.
Jan 21, 2022 2:38 PM

Dec 2009
If this is not a masterpiece, then what is. 10/10 Though the ending when Gilbert and Violet started running (rolling and swimming) towards each other was a bit lame, but whatever, Gilbert finally realized that he shouldn't stay baka but run for the girl. And they lived happily ever after.

I would like to have one of those Violet stamps that they showed on the letter at the end. That's cool.

Also, I was wondering what the age gap actually is between Violet and Gilbert.

And, by the way, I checked the time when I first started to shed tears, which was at 8 minutes, since then my face became puffy and my eyes are red and my skin hurts.

Otherwise, the movie was emotionally fulfilling, I love things that make you cry so much, and visual and music-wise there is not anything to mention, everything was perfect. Violet is so pretty.

On a last note, I had to search for Gilbert's VA, and it turns out that he voices Italy from Hetalia (amongst many others), that was interesting to find out.

And one more: how come when Violet's letter gets delivered to Gilbert it is not blown away by the wind. Never mention how Gilbert opens the letter... But the finale ends with all kinds of letters getting blown by the wind, I guess that's metaphoric for the postal service, but I'd have laughed so much if Gilbert has to start jumping and chasing after the letter in the basket. :D
snowman_builderJan 21, 2022 2:42 PM
Jan 22, 2022 7:06 PM
Jan 2016
Definitely one of the best movie i ever watched until today!

The purest masterpiece, i am trully speechless, loved every minute of this movie and the entire show!

So heartwarming the is impossible not to cry!

Jan 23, 2022 1:06 AM

Jun 2007
I really wish Gilbert hadn’t survived. Violet’s clinging to him was—or should have been—what still kept her tethered to the past, preventing her from more properly developing into an individual, mature human being. A better writer would have had her come to terms with what cannot be changed, so both the pain and positive formative memories could swirl into something better. Someone better.

Hell, I would have accepted the Major pushing her away and her leaving as healthy and realistic enough. But them discovering each other and falling in love like this? Too contrived, too feel-good and soapy. Even for an obvious dude-soap like VEG. And honestly, dynamics like this still creep me out a bit.

I’m honestly going to pretend this one doesn’t exist; it’s only indisputable achievement is as yet another impressive piece of animation and atmosphere from KyoAni. Really disappointed in whoever came up with this totally incongruous indulgence. 5/10
Never_Know_BestJan 24, 2022 12:30 AM
Jan 27, 2022 6:50 AM

Jan 2018
The performance of Violet and Gilbert's voice acting at the very last scene was phenomenal.
But in the end the sub-plot of Yurith touched me more than the plot that I predicted will happen from the very beginning of the TV series.
Never_Know_Best said:
I really wish Gilbert hadn’t survived. Violet’s clinging to him was—or should have been—what still kept her tethered to the past, preventing her from more properly developing into an individual, mature human being. A better writer would have had her come to terms with what cannot be changed, so both the pain and positive formative memories could swirl into something better. Someone better.

Hell, I would have accepted the Major pushing her away and her leaving as healthy and realistic enough. But them discovering each other and falling in love like this? Too contrived, too feel-good and soapy. Even for an obvious dude-soap like VEG. And honestly, dynamics like this still creep me out a bit.

I’m honestly going to pretend this one doesn’t exist; it’s only indisputable achievement is as yet another impressive piece of animation and atmosphere from KyoAni. Really disappointed in whoever came up with this totally incongruous indulgence. 5/10
Honestly, I agree with you. It was very hard for me to keep watching this movie (I started it in October lol). Though I wouldn't rate it this low. All things considered this movie exceeded my very low expectations.
Jan 29, 2022 8:21 AM

Dec 2008
There is a lot to complain about this movies concept, it was a conclusion of the story, but a very much unromantic partially cruel one, I would have loved to see a little daily life of Violet and Gilbert in the end at least.

I was put through a rollercoaster with this one, until the last 10 minutes I expected to see a bad end, the overall atmosphere of this movie was sad, showing that Violet's workplace turned into a museum and everything came to an end.

Yuris death also was crushingly sad, of course the scene with reading the prepared letters was beautiful, but it felt just too real with the sad parents. Not really necessary for this in this movie, but it wasn't really that bad.

The loyal dog personality of Violet is really painful to watch when the dog owner is a fool, her dear Major refused to see her, the despair was real for me. It was good to know that he is still alive, but cutting connections just like that was foolish.

I thought that there was a little comedy when Violet's letter was blown away by the evil wind or when she jumped into the ocean lol

I very much disliked the view from the future perspective, it came too sudden for me. Haha I hate when things come to an end.

Overall I liked the anime more, but hey at least I feel happy that Violet found her place, she could never let go of her worries about the majors whereabouts.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2022 2:33 PM

May 2016
I'm Thinking twice about writing this after I saw her write with such style, I don't have much to
say except that was a decent conclusion to her story. and at least she found happiness with Gil.
Feb 8, 2022 2:40 PM

Aug 2021
Masterpiece, the Best Movie Ever.

Feb 9, 2022 3:45 PM

Jun 2012
I think I would've preferred if Gil stayed dead and she got with the brother instead; it seemed like he was finally starting to change for the better. It also feels kind of gross that she got with Gil. It feels borderline incest/grooming and it might actually ruin his character for me.
Sol_OuFeb 9, 2022 3:48 PM
Feb 24, 2022 3:00 AM

Sep 2018
I'll give it a 8/10, due to the fact that I enjoyed the main series and the side story better than this ending movie, even though it also had some classic Violet Evergarden emotional moments.

A couple points docked off for the stubborn and idiotic actions of some, which created some forced melodrama in an otherwise excellent build up. The beach scene lasted too long as well lol...

Overall though, a good ending to a great series.
Feb 27, 2022 4:29 AM

Dec 2014
I kinda got baited by the top review that said this was the perfect ending. The movie felt hard to watch, by the time the climax came i felt overstuffed with suffering. Major reaction while partially understandable, felt unnecessary, we as a viewers and Violet had suffered enough, we needed that sweet release, and when it finally came, it was too little, too late. He shuns Violet and later when they reunite it was underwhelming. Violet bawls her eyes out as well as she should be, but the major doesn't deliver he just stands there to detriment of my enjoyement. I'm an unredeemable romantic but this ONE time I felt like, "maybe it was better if he stayed dead", i feel like the romance was all smoke and no fire, we only see a glimpse of the ever after, just a pinky swear. No daily life, no friends (while thematically works wonders her staying there to keep up her letter writing, the feeling of cutting of her friends was alive and it hurt), the very first "i love you" needed to grow and we needed to see it, otherwise their reuniting would have felt weird and forced, since i think the very same "i love you" was not a romantic one.

Yuris' story was handled greatly i must say, but i won't gloss over it since the core of the movie lied somewhere else, and they failed to deliver it in the great fashion that i was anticipating. The feels only hit me at the very end, with the girl finding out Violet's life. It hit me how great she was, in the end that's what i wanted to convey with all this babble: that Violet Evergarden is greater than Violet Evergarden the movie, seeing her walk, seeing her stamp was the best feeling i got from the movie. I loved it, felt my heart throbbing. I will look around for the novels, I'm sure they will patch this movie shortcomings.
flo7Feb 27, 2022 4:33 AM
Mar 13, 2022 9:57 AM

Feb 2019
I've just finished watching. My emotions are still all swirling inside me. I'm so touched and moved and feeling so many other things that I can't express. All I can say for now is that it was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Kyoto Animation doesn't disappoint.

10/10.

Maybe I'll come back later once I can put my feelings into words. Or maybe I need a Doll for that.
Mar 22, 2022 9:37 PM
Nov 2018
Finally got around to watch this. Been a couple of years since I saw the TV show and the other stuff, but man this reminded me why I love this series so much. I had tears during Yurius’ deathbed, that resonated with me so much. Although I loved the moment with Gilbert and Violet, it is also creepy at the same time, especially when they cut to Gilbert hugging kid Violet. Also loved the tie in to Ann and her grandchild, that had me shook.
Mar 28, 2022 8:18 PM

Mar 2012
It's rare that you feel a series just mesh with the producing studio. Violet Evergarden and KyoAni are, I think, truly a match made in heaven, because I think there is no studio that can capture the tenderness of the emotions that overflow from Violet Evergarden as well as KyoAni.

Therein, I think lies the one bone I have to pick with the series. Don't get me wrong, when it's at its best it's an unparalleled masterpiece; it tearjerks in a deep, sophisticated, and moving way that 99% of other series can only dream of. But it also undeniably wallows and drowns in its own emotions sometimes. This has been an insignificant problem with everything up to this point, but it was just a little too guilty of that with the Gilbert arc, where I thought Gilbert was just too full of himself and too mired in melodramatic sentimentality. Thankfully that changed and didn't get in the way of a heartwarming and well-deserved happy ending for Violet.

In the end, I just want to say, what a series. There are series you enjoy and there are series you enjoy and appreciate, and this was one of the latter. I'm glad that I picked it up and saw it through.
Apr 21, 2022 9:21 PM

Jan 2021
This was so good I enjoyed everything and I liked how they were transitioning the past from the present
May 1, 2022 9:01 AM
Jul 2019
removed-user said:
I love Violet Evergarden the series, but man, I really, REALLY didn’t like this movie.

Bringing back Gilbert out of the blue, and having him straight up not want to see Violet? Just awful. What on earth were they thinking? Violet being reduced to a mess who is constantly pining after Gilbert cheapens the series end SO much.

Also my goodness they mined the nostalgia for episode 10 SO much.

Just massively, massively disappointed in how this turned out. It felt like they had like 5-6 ideas in the movie (Hodgins having to give up his pseudo-Father role with Violet, the idea of Auto Memory dolls becoming superseded, Anna's descendant, the sick kid which in itself was just a remix of Anna's story, even the Gilbert resolution) and none of them really got fleshed out enough.

... also am I the only one who was weirdly into the idea of Dietfried and Violet ending up together and helping each other through their guilt and trauma? I mean it’s raised like twice and then never mentioned again, but a movie about them helping each other out and Gilbert staying dead would have actually made for a really cool twist?

Usopp8000 said:
But there is no kiss, because their love is just that strong, they don't need any kiss to prove it.

More like there's no kiss because this is KyoAni and they don't do that kind of thing.

VsauceDealer said:
Someone who saw the movie spoil me please.

Does violet and the major only meet like last 2-3min of the movie and thats it, or they actually spend some time together on screen?

Last 2-3 mins in person, otherwise Violet yells at him through a door in the rain once and that's it.
Braindead gilbert is litterally a ml of the novel with fl voilet.so offcourse they will gonna focus on him.
May 4, 2022 4:33 AM

Aug 2018
Finaly took some free time and decided to watch this true finalle of the series.

Its a really beautiful and touching film, I think animation quality is top noch and Kyoto Animation really did a splendid job

Very happy to see it end like this and even show it from futures perspective at the end, I guess Violet really did retire to live happily and continued to do her work from there.

My only complain is that first part of film felt kinda slow and not very interesting, yes it had some moments of greatness but overall iits the 2nd part that carried this whole beautiful film.

I really loved this film and felt emotionally touched by it in the end
8.9/10
May 24, 2022 4:00 PM

Jul 2021
I survived a lot of sad anime by holding my crying to an absolute minimum, but holy geez, this got me hard.
Violet Evergarden in general is a masterpiece.
May 31, 2022 9:04 AM

Dec 2020
I rated all previous installments 10/10 except because of the ending I'm gonna give this a 9/10. Art style, animation, music. All beautiful still regardless.

It was hinted at the end scene of season 1 and then super probably basically confirmed when I read the plot summary of the movie that Gilbert was alive. It just feels like a cop out. Almost like all the progress made and the struggles reverted her back or maybe she was always dependent on him in the end.

It didn't help that I never saw their relationship as romantic; more father daughter. Like sure the age gap is huge but that was more common in that time period. That's whatever fine. It was like he raised her and it's almost like unintentional grooming? Now never confirmed confirmed but leaving behind everything and then living on a island with him with the last scene holding hand. They basically got married.

I just wish they never got together romantically. Like ok he's still alive but when he pushed her away that's when I thought they could live their seperate lives, be their own person and then after self reflection and healing Gilbert can come back and just be a important family/father figure again in liden and be with everyone.

Beautiful movie overall. Just hoped for a different ending. 9/10
Jun 18, 2022 5:00 AM

Dec 2020
While I ABSOLUTELY am a sucker for sappy love endings, this ending really did Violet Evergarden a disservice. Like many others said, the whole series focuses on her growth, particularly as a person who no longer needs to follow someone else’s commands to live… only to end by jumping off a ship and swimming to shore after the Major yells at her to “come back!” (I watched the dubbed version and he literally screamed, “Violet! Come back!” To which she obeyed!!!).

Maybe would have been way better if it wasn’t portrayed as though she were following his command to come back to him and to stay with him on the island… something more to allow the Violet-development-fans to know that the life she was choosing was more HER choice and not just her succumbing to what the Major wants, ya know? And Violet’s last scene is her not having any control over her words or body? Sigh….

The animation was beautiful and I enjoyed seeing the other characters again.
Jun 20, 2022 4:27 AM

Dec 2007
cookie_kudasai said:
While I ABSOLUTELY am a sucker for sappy love endings, this ending really did Violet Evergarden a disservice. Like many others said, the whole series focuses on her growth, particularly as a person who no longer needs to follow someone else’s commands to live… only to end by jumping off a ship and swimming to shore after the Major yells at her to “come back!” (I watched the dubbed version and he literally screamed, “Violet! Come back!” To which she obeyed!!!).

Maybe would have been way better if it wasn’t portrayed as though she were following his command to come back to him and to stay with him on the island… something more to allow the Violet-development-fans to know that the life she was choosing was more HER choice and not just her succumbing to what the Major wants, ya know? And Violet’s last scene is her not having any control over her words or body? Sigh….

The animation was beautiful and I enjoyed seeing the other characters again.

Huh, that's actually kinda interesting, because that's not what happens in the sub. In the sub Gilbert literally just says "Violet" and that's it. But I guess since in Japanese Violet is said with more syllables and Gilbert really lays into the last few in that scene they needed to add more in English to match the mouth movements because he would of finished saying her name and his mouth would still be going. But yeah if it makes it any better that's not what Gilbert actually says and he's just yelling her name. Interesting though because it does kinda change the feeling of that scene a bit.
Jun 20, 2022 10:18 PM

Apr 2018
Sticky_Rice said:
Lunar_Skies said:

I really don't get this considering both the movie and the anime thrust the reasoning directly in front of your face for at least an hour of flashbacks. And the reasoning is multilayered as well, there isn't just a single reason why gilbert left violet.

I felt the film didn’t do enough to show why he wanted to leave Violet. The flashbacks, to me, felt jarring because, although it tells us why he feels wrong for being Violet’s caretaker, it lacked a how. How did he end up with those feelings? The show sets the flashbacks to Violet’s perspective and, with her view, it’s understandable she holds him in a greater light and is why she looks up to him and puts herself down. It would’ve been cool to see the movie do more in showing how torn Gilbert was in being the caretaker with the same scenes in the anime but taken into his point of view. It would’ve sufficed in justifying his breakaway and made the emotional scenes better, but the fact the flashbacks shown not only didn’t do enough of it but straight up use scenes where Gilbert’s actions clearly impacted her for the good, I find it hard to believe that he feels that way to Violet. That’s why I scratch my head a little for Gilbert’s justification because it does not do enough to show the audience his view of the situation, instead telling us why he feels that way and leaving it at that.

It’s very frustrating to me because it didn’t need much to remedy these issues. All the film needed was inserting 2-3 scenes in the existing film showing us how psychologically torn he was training Violet to become a killer and his regret of not seeing her through a normal life. That’s it. Could let the film remain as it is and it would’ve worked brilliantly. I really want to call this film a masterpiece, but this nagging feeling that the film writers just needed a few tweaks to literally fix the entire movie is too bothersome to me.

TL:DR, I felt it blatantly told too much and didn’t show enough. The film told me his reason but I didn’t see it. That’s why I feel Gilbert’s attitude was confusing and a little unwarranted.

Omg... This! You took the words out of my mouth. I did not enjoy the constant flashbacks. They should have focused more of Gilbert's POV to see why he actually has feelings for her. I was really hoping they delivered the reasons behind his love for her, but it just did not do it for me for some odd reason. I was also a bit disappointed that she couldn't say "I love you" back vocally when he confessed he loves her twice (during the beach scene). Not to mention, she kept calling him "Major." It's just frustrating that we barely see enough screentime between those two. Gilbert's character felt underdeveloped to me.
Overall, it's a very good movie. It would have been a 10/10 for me if they focus more on those two, especially Gilbert. The movie was too draggy at times.
8/10.
Jun 23, 2022 9:43 PM

Jun 2020
fuckkkkk this could have been so good. really needed more heartfelt conversation between gil and violet.
Jun 29, 2022 11:09 PM

Nov 2010
The visuals in this movie are as beautiful as Violet!

The story was nice, but damn, Gilbert was such a overcomplicated doofus at the end. It was so annoying because he made the movie longer than necessary! I wanted to punch him myself. I know it's for the drama effect, but it had the opposite effect on me. 8+1/10

This movie made me reflect on how fast the times are changing and on my mortality. It really sucks to have such short lives!
Jul 24, 2022 11:06 PM
Nov 2020
if you have seen all series and the movie and you dont think it is a masterpiece then i dont know what you are,its beautiful,it makes people truely feel emotions what more can someone need but to experience true emotions.
Jul 30, 2022 10:41 AM

Apr 2014
The ending is a bit bittersweet to me.

When she was a doll, Violet was quite famous, being requested from all over and even by the royal family. And yet in just 2 generations, she is almost entirely forgotten. Only a handful of people remember her now, and he main legacy is a postage stamp made in her image which is only used from the small island with few people on it. Although she had great impact on peoples lives at the time, the world has forgotten and it's approaching the point where it's as if she never existed.

On top of that we don't get to see what became of any of the other CH employees. Just everybody is gone and all that remains is a museum.
fretoldAug 5, 2022 2:16 PM
Aug 5, 2022 8:34 AM

Apr 2016
fretold said:
The ending is a bit bittersweet to me.

When she was a doll, Violet was quite famous, being requested from all over and even by the royal family. And yet in just 2 generations, she is almost entirely forgotten. Only a handful of people remember her now, and he main legacy is a postage stamp made in her image which is only used from the small island with few people on it. Although she had great impact on peoples lives at the time, the world has forgotten and it's approaching the point where it's as if she never existed.

On top of that we don't get to see what became of any of the other CH employees or what became of them. Just everybody is gone and all that remains is a museum.

Such is life...just a fading memory.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2022 3:17 AM

Apr 2020
The wonderful story of Violet Evergarden comes to an end. What a ride of emotions this story has been. This anime will forever have a special place in my heart. Thank You KyoAni for the wonderful animation ,the author and everyone involved. You all made a masterpiece which will never be forgotten till the end of time.
"No letter that could be sent deserves to go undelivered"... Violet Evergarden ❤
Must love Moe!
Darkness prevails!!
Slice of Life is all we need!
Aug 19, 2022 12:45 PM
Jun 2021
It was beautiful.
Aug 26, 2022 12:01 PM
Mar 2021
Wonderful and amazing pice
Sep 1, 2022 3:37 PM

May 2015
Holy damn that was amazing.

I swear I can't watch anything Violet Evergarden related without ugly crying. Its always so emotional and powerful.

Loved Violet's reaction at the end by the shore. Very realistic.

Its nice to know that they got together and lived their lives and her memory was still around after she was gone. (Bit sad to think by that point she was gone but it was nice to know she was with Gilbert)
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 13, 2022 12:22 AM
Nov 2020
Violet Evergarden I hope you have all the happiness in the world. This anime will have a special place in my heart.
Sep 14, 2022 12:56 PM

Feb 2022
Wow, I like the way they told us this beautiful story... It was very emotional, even I cried when the 'boy' died.

The thing I liked most was its animation, animators did very great job.

10/10 from me

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
||Profile||----------------||Anime||----------------||Manga||
Sep 18, 2022 4:47 PM
Jul 2013
Absolutely beautifully made.
The story hits a bit different, when there is a war going on, we are not safe from.
It would be a 10, but I just can't look away from child grooming and Stockholm syndrome.
Sep 20, 2022 12:51 AM

Jan 2010
My biggest problems with Violet Evergarden stem from Violet's past constantly chaining her thoughts and actions. In part, it's due to the PTSD brought forth by all the violence and bloodshed she's committed, but it's also the loss of Gilbert, the person who saved her, gave her a home, and a reason to live. I understand that much, but I dislike the method by which she's chained. I never fully understood why she had to fight, or why Gilbert had to specifically care for her. She was apparently a gifted child soldier who could tear down entire platoons single handedly, but she was also treated like disposable garbage would could die in a ditch for all her superiors cared. Gilbert was extremely protective of her, yet his superiors forced him to continuously utilize her in combat despite his objections. At the same time, people like Dietfried and Claudia gave Gilbert crap for his hypocritical actions, yet Gilbert continued sortieing Violet with an "it couldn't be helped" attitude.

This portion of the story never quite made sense to me, which is why I was never fully on board with Violet's attachment to the past. Since I didn't get it, I'd rather have the anime focus on Violet's much more interesting present instead of constantly reminding me of the past's inconsistencies. That being said, I did enjoy the episodic stories in the TV series, just as I enjoyed the previous side story film. I loved seeing Violet grow as a character as she learned more about the world around her. I loved seeing different people and places, how Violet helped people along in their lives, and how their lives in turn affected Violet. I still remember some of these potent stories, of which were akin to short films in and of themselves.

With this film, I can't say all my problems with the series were fixed, but I am satisfied with its conclusion. It presents an interesting dilemma of technology marching forward, rendering handwritten and typed letters obsolete. Soon, there would be a world without the need for Dolls, and as the scars of war slowly healed, it would also be a world that Violet didn't seem to fit into. After all, she's still chained to her past, and until she could reconcile that, she wouldn't be able to move forward.

I loved seeing Violet and Dietfried finally have a heart to heart conversation, with them coming to understand each other's feelings. I loved seeing Claudia slowly realize he was losing Violet, the girl he saw as his own daughter. Every time Gilbert was brought up, Claudia knew he'd lose Violet more and more, yet he knew Gilbert meant the world to her, so Claudia had no choice but to help her along. With Yuris, I liked how his story tied into the overall plot of the film. His situation was horrifically tragic, but I'm glad its conclusion was at least cathartic for both myself and the characters. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about Gilbert somehow surviving getting shot in the eye, not to mention all his other wounds, but if Violet could shrug off losing both her arms, then I guess I can accept this anime running on shounen anime logic. I understand Gilbert's guilt regarding Violet's injuries, and I'm okay with all the unfolding drama for the most part.

My biggest confusion was Gilbert's feelings towards Violet, of which I never realized was a concern. At first, I always assumed their relationship was akin to a father and daughter, and upon finishing the film, I thought the story suddenly turned into a romance. After some time to stew on the film however, neither interpretation seem to be correct. Gilbert doesn't necessarily see Violet as a daughter, but instead has feelings of adoration, pity, and overwhelming guilt. The love he feels for her isn't necessarily romantic, but seemingly that of a desire to cherish and protect. In turn, while Violet reciprocates Gilbert's feelings, she doesn't seem to actually love him romantically either. She regards him with great admiration, idolization, reverence, and gratitude for saving her life in so many ways. As such, their relationship seems to be built on emotional dependency, rather than romance. It took a day, but I think I understand the show's narrative now.

In terms of audiovisuals, Violet Evergarden has always been stellar, and this film looks and sounds even better. Not sure how else to praise the film on this regard. I think my favorite animation moment was early in the film where Violet was fixing her left hand. In the same scene, the acute sounds of wooden floorboards, while subtle, really gives a weight to her character, making the anime seem all the more real. I appreciated small touches like that throughout not just the film, but the series in general.

Violet Evergarden is a feat of animation and storytelling, and no amount of personal gripes will overshadow that. It hit me around the time Daisy looked through her grandmother's letters, where you could see decrepit tear stains from generations ago. Not only have we seen Ann, but we've seen Ann's mother create those letters with Violet, we've seen Ann read through those letters as she matured, and now we've seen those letters passed down to her granddaughter. It gives the sense that words and emotions transcend time, where sentiments of the past can be carried and applied to the present day, whenever that may be. I loved seeing the lingering effects of Violet's work decades down the line, where her stories became part of the local folklore.

To end my thoughts, I'll end my three years of watching and procrastinating Violet Evergarden with the moral I think the series has been pushing the entire time: the way we communicate may change, but none of it matters until you actually take the effort to communicate.
ShockedMar 20, 2023 1:15 PM
Sep 23, 2022 7:13 PM
May 2021
omg omg violet evergarden is so awesome, did you know that the gilbert guy has blue hair? well he does. did you know that the violet girl has blue dress? well you know now, blue hair omg omg omg omg omg ogm ogm ogm ogm ogm ogom gomgog om, so good
Sep 25, 2022 7:19 AM

Jun 2020
I have not read the novel. I was disappointed we didn't see Taylor at all. I thought she was adopted and taken in by the post office at the end of the first movie? It would've been nice to see her story wrapped up with Amy. I was also disappointed we didn't really get to see Violet and Gilbert together. The last scene of them is crying on the beach together and/or the end credit scene when they are making a pinky promise. Would've been nice to at least see that everything went well, and if they had children and grand children. I really liked how they tied in Ann's story into this movie, it was really well done. With all that being said, the movie was still 9/10 for me. I enjoyed the series overall.
Sep 29, 2022 9:26 PM
Sep 2022
.. really really good
Oct 16, 2022 6:57 PM
Sep 2022
:')

Enjoyed it a lot. I wrapped up the series, OVA, and 2019 movie in a couple weeks, and it was really nice to end it like this.
edit: It really was an amazing series to witness and watch. I haven't been into anime for quite that long, maybe less than two years, and it was really refreshing and heartwarming to see stuff like this. I've heard about the series here and there, but never thought the storytelling could have been this captivating. It's no wonder it's high up the list on MAL. Thank you KyoAni for this experience.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

GRG3 - Sep 3, 2023

115 by opioids »»
Yesterday, 3:19 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

30 by Zorotoo »»
Sep 6, 10:51 AM

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

75 by Arminken »»
May 3, 2:42 AM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Why I do not like Violet ( 1 2 )

theeblueberry - Jun 13, 2023

54 by Pityfool »»
Aug 24, 2023 8:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.