Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 14, 2021 12:10 AM
Feb 2015
kataneer said:
That was nice. Yeah, some of the scenes were adapted too fast, but without anything critical.
Let's see the next episodes.

I really don't understand all of the hate (maybe because nobody cares about this anime except edgy VN fans who will hate any anime adaptation no matter what). Of course, in perfect world something like Muv-Luv would get 100+ episodes and ufotable production, but even this looks fine as an addition to a visual novel (and not like Chaos;Child or another dumpster fires). Even anime-onlies (is there any anime-onlies?) will understand the plot because of the flashbacks.

Also, VN character designs were fucking garbage. This ones are generic, but passable

I didn't mind your post till you mention "VN character designs were fucking garbage". How dare you. The characters outrageous designs is what made Muv-Luv characters fun. Screw generic. No one needs generic. Bring the Yu-Gi-Oh! hair. Bring the outrageous.
Oct 14, 2021 12:21 AM

Feb 2018
ixarising said:

I didn't mind your post till you mention "VN character designs were fucking garbage". How dare you. The characters outrageous designs is what made Muv-Luv characters fun. Screw generic. No one needs generic. Bring the Yu-Gi-Oh! hair.

I just feels cringe when I look at something like this lul

Imo, they were fine in Extra and in 2003, but now they looks just nah and obviously need a rework for an another format
Oct 14, 2021 12:54 AM
Apr 2021
Yep dropped, just read the vn instead
Oct 14, 2021 1:22 AM
Oct 2020
kataneer said:
ixarising said:

I didn't mind your post till you mention "VN character designs were fucking garbage". How dare you. The characters outrageous designs is what made Muv-Luv characters fun. Screw generic. No one needs generic. Bring the Yu-Gi-Oh! hair.

Imo, they were fine in Extra and in 2003, but now they looks just nah and obviously need a rework for an another format

"give us more generic anime character from the generic anime character factory."
Oct 14, 2021 1:42 AM

Feb 2018
dailybread said:

"give us more generic anime character from the generic anime character factory."

generic > eye-bleeding
Oct 14, 2021 1:52 AM

Feb 2019
Yea idc what visual novel fans are saying I like this anime. A lot.
Oct 14, 2021 2:02 AM

Jul 2019
kataneer said:
ixarising said:

I don't think you've ever watched Clannad, because they did the exact same thing there and it worked (even if some people were complaining) because a generic character design makes the anime look forgettable and cheap but at least a unique one can be recognized easily. But to each their own, i can't force you to change your opinion.
Oct 14, 2021 2:07 AM
Oct 2020
kataneer said:
dailybread said:

generic > eye-bleeding

not even close to unsightly let alone eye bleeding but ok
Oct 14, 2021 2:24 AM

Feb 2018
Fax001s said:
kataneer said:

I don't think you've ever watched Clannad, because they did the exact same thing there and it worked (even if some people were complaining) because a generic character design makes the anime look forgettable and cheap but at least a unique one can be recognized easily. But to each their own, i can't force you to change your opinion.

Well, I had a similar problem with Clannad (except the fact that I haven't played the VN, anime-only).
However, I still gave After Story 9/10 because of its plot and heavy drama, and character designs didn't ruin the experience for me (at least because I had whole s1 to get used to them).
kataneerOct 14, 2021 2:29 AM
Oct 14, 2021 3:07 AM

Feb 2016
Ass introduction(seriously Extra/Unlimited got shafted royally smh), ass animation quality, the scene with Yuuko holding a gun at Takeru...there was no form of tension there like in the VN.

Marimo, Meiya and Takeru sound off as fuck fuck their new voices.

And Takeru getting winded going up the hill fuck off anime he had military training from Unlimited for fuck sake.

That Mount Tengen flashback with Meiya is going to go over people's heads unfortunately hell this whole episode will and has.

So in short trash episode 1/10.
It'll get worse from here

P.S Fuck this episode for giving best girl Meiya shit quality animation
Oct 14, 2021 4:51 AM
Jun 2012
Lots of complaining over stuff we already knew. It was only ever going to adapt alternative. Of course they were going to cut extra and unlimited.

The only real disappointment is the lack of the original voices. Kei and Miki sound similar at least.
Oct 14, 2021 5:05 AM
Apr 2021
Graciaus said:
Lots of complaining over stuff we already knew. It was only ever going to adapt alternative. Of course they were going to cut extra and unlimited.

The only real disappointment is the lack of the original voices. Kei and Miki sound similar at least.

Indeed, 100% agree. Regarding the voices, I wonder why they didn't hire the same artists, Steins;Gate as far as I know had the same people so why not here as well?
Oct 14, 2021 5:34 AM
Jan 2019
otakuops7 said:
Graciaus said:

Indeed, 100% agree. Regarding the voices, I wonder why they didn't hire the same artists, Steins;Gate as far as I know had the same people so why not here as well?

Lots of reasons. Cost, availability, some of the originals don’t really work anymore, future proofing for future installments in the franchise.
Oct 14, 2021 5:40 AM
Apr 2021
Incognimous said:
otakuops7 said:

Lots of reasons. Cost, availability, some of the originals don’t really work anymore, future proofing for future installments in the franchise.

Yes that's fair enough.
Oct 14, 2021 6:24 AM

Jul 2014
Incognimous said:
otakuops7 said:

Of all things, Takeru’s VA is a noob to the industry, yet they pick him for this adaptation that has a huge VN base. After watching this ep, I have no hope. Age, what the hell are y’all smoking over there?
Oct 14, 2021 6:54 AM

Apr 2015
Woah, this episode would have been certainly a let down if I actually expected something good. It just confirmed that the MLA I loved won't be seen in this anime.

Honestly, it looks really average and generic. If I didn't read the VN I would skip this because of how badly it looks. If it was Extra I would be fine with it because that one is supposed to be generic and nothing special, but there's no extra to make this one stand out.

I won't call the anime outright bad yet (I will when it ends because most likely it will suck even more) but it's just really a average.

The only good thing from this episode was that I remembered some scenes I liked (like when we could see how much has Takeru grown and how capable he is compared to Unlimited). Honestly it made me want to go reread that scene. (yes, that's the level of this adaptation. It just made me want to go and read the source.)

Otherwise, I couldn't see the story that made me cry for hours anywhere in this. The tension, the emotions and all is lost. In Alternative we are supposed to be on the same page as Takeru, but there isn't any of that5.

Truly, if the story and setting caught your attention you are better of reading the VN. I know not everyone has time, but it is definitely more worth it than this anime. I won't go and call it a masterpiece, but truly, there isn't anything the VN doesn't do better. Even the "animation" in VN which was equivalent to slideshow animation was more immersive. (and I'm not even talking about the real animation).

Either way, we are here to see the downfall of this anime.
Oct 14, 2021 7:44 AM

Mar 2010
Boring idk why animes give you a shit load of action and then give you a snorefest.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Oct 14, 2021 7:48 AM

Nov 2017
Felt a tad rushed and definitely skipped over some stuff, but it could've been worse (like, way worse). I'm pleasantly surprised they were able to capture the other characters pretty well even though I definitely would've liked more screen time for all of 'em, of course. The voice acting for them was solid too (they are not the original from the VN in case you were wondering).

I guess since Ayamine Kei is my favourite character, I am able to detect the subtle differences in the voice acting in the anime and visual novel.

Speaking of the visual novel, I'm glad I read the trilogy (and I actually remember a good chunk of it despite it being almost a decade since I did lmao). It makes me curious how the writers will handle certain scenes that hit me like a few in this episode
Oct 14, 2021 8:42 AM
Oct 2020
Oct 14, 2021 8:56 AM

Sep 2007
BlichoBoy said:
When you barely remember the previous Muv-luv animes and never played the VN and begin to read this discussion posts and then the only thought is "da fuck they doin ova der".

This episode made me wonder, Muv-Luv have a positive ending?

well somewhat... Takeru returns to Extra(like) world and some characters moved to extra. But alternative world is still fucked and most of cast is dead...
Oct 14, 2021 9:13 AM

Feb 2016
kataneer said:
I really don't understand all of the hate (maybe because nobody cares about this anime except VN fans who will hate any anime adaptation no matter what)

I knew this was the case when I saw all the hate this was getting before the 1st episode even aired. Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken had no preexisting fanbases because their source materials have no English translations.

kataneer said:
ixarising said:

And this is why I have no interest in playing Alternative. Clannad looks better.
その目だれの目?
Oct 14, 2021 10:25 AM

Oct 2009
Liquidacid said:
I'm pretty sure all they are shooting for with this is an advertisement boost for the franchise since they are working on Muv-Luv Integrate. Oh and Project Mikhail and Project Immortal. lol

Many other fail to see this...
Even Kouki Yoshimune said its completely impossible to animate the whole Muv-Luv story
Oct 14, 2021 11:21 AM

Sep 2007
ranoa said:
Liquidacid said:
I'm pretty sure all they are shooting for with this is an advertisement boost for the franchise since they are working on Muv-Luv Integrate. Oh and Project Mikhail and Project Immortal. lol

Many other fail to see this...
Even Kouki Yoshimune said its completely impossible to animate the whole Muv-Luv story
eh, he said it would take about 600 episodes.... I would still watch it!
Oct 14, 2021 12:15 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
It felt rather rushed to be honest. I felt we were jumping from one thing to another very quickly.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 14, 2021 1:17 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
So this is where the real stuff starts, we got a Groundhog Day situation happening with Takeru and I wasn’t expecting it, but I like it. And as someone that’s brand new to this series, I didn’t feel lost after they explained where we are in the story, didn’t really understand some of the people in the crunchyroll comments that were confused lol. OP and ED were both good too, I especially like that ED.

I can see why VN fans are very upset but I can say I’m enjoying this at least, only thing I can say I didn’t like was some of the animation and the faces weren’t all there sometimes.
Oct 14, 2021 2:22 PM

Sep 2011
JanPri said:
Well, this was ridiculous.

So the whole UNLIMITED and EXTRA (60-70 hours of gameplay) have been reduced to a series of "flashbacks"... Which are really just still pictures

Who is this thing targeted at, anyway? It's certainly not anime-only friendly, with the story being already 50% done, nor longtime-fans friendly, with the adaptation featuring a whole new cast for characters we already have pre-established voices for and the fact it omitted everything before Alternative

Your statement reminds me of bullshit Rewrite anime.

I haven't played Muv-Luv series and I can tell this anime is, unfortunately, hard to follow if you have not played the visual novel. It seems they are jumping the gun.
TennoujiOct 14, 2021 2:27 PM

Oct 14, 2021 3:32 PM

Feb 2015
Well that episode was a dogs dinner. I love the way the MC just rock up at a military base with his time travel and other dimension story which was totally believable. Couple of minutes later he's in training.
Oct 14, 2021 3:46 PM

Jan 2020
Ok dropping it is, the original plot looks interesting and very good for me to just skip it. And takeru's character also have some unique angles which tells about the developments he have received.

Will probably come back after finishing all 3 games
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Oct 14, 2021 4:23 PM
Feb 2015
Lucifrost said:
kataneer said:
I really don't understand all of the hate (maybe because nobody cares about this anime except VN fans who will hate any anime adaptation no matter what)

I knew this was the case when I saw all the hate this was getting before the 1st episode even aired. Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken had no preexisting fanbases because their source materials have no English translations.

kataneer said:

And this is why I have no interest in playing Alternative. Clannad looks better.

Clannad VN design isn't really that better either. And it didn't bother me much cause i enjoyed the story.
One of my main grit with some is that they complain the VN base on their preference or because its not anime looking enough in design etc instead of trying to give the story a chance.
ixarisingOct 14, 2021 4:27 PM
Oct 14, 2021 4:50 PM
Voltekka!
Sep 2017
ixarising said:
Lucifrost said:

Clannad VN design isn't really that better either. And it didn't bother me much cause i enjoyed the story.
One of my main grit with some is that they complain the VN base on their preference or because its not anime looking enough in design etc instead of trying to give the story a chance.

The designs are anime as fuck, but I'm still not gonna give muv luv a chance because I'll have to go through 50 hours of sol harem shenanigans before alternative and the designs are H-O-R-R-I-D. Also, character designs can look good and have soul at the same time.
Oct 14, 2021 5:56 PM
Feb 2015
LeonhartAugust said:
ixarising said:

The designs are anime as fuck, but I'm still not gonna give muv luv a chance because I'll have to go through 50 hours of sol harem shenanigans before alternative and the designs are H-O-R-R-I-D. Also, character designs can look good and have soul at the same time.

I actually like Clannad more than Muv-Luv but even i won't say that the VN design are good okay. The VN design are harsh as hell. The characters their design itself are nice, but color tone the game producer studio chose is painful to eyes. And that is for a VN that is 80 hours long.
Oct 14, 2021 6:05 PM

Sep 2014
ixarising said:
The characters outrageous designs is what made Muv-Luv characters fun.

I feel a better solution would have been to modernize their overall look while keeping some of the quirkiness. But they absolutely had to bring the designs to modern standards as the old ones didn't particularly age well.

Personally, I never cared for Chizuru's old design much, but she looks pretty hot now imo. On the other hand, there some shots where Yuuko doesn't look too good and whatnot, but I feel that has more to do with overall art quality than her new design per se.

I think the Tsukihime vn remake is a great example of old characters with successfully modern looks. But even in that case, I've seen some old fans bitching about it.
Oct 14, 2021 9:04 PM
Feb 2015
FlamepriesT said:
ixarising said:
The characters outrageous designs is what made Muv-Luv characters fun.

I feel a better solution would have been to modernize their overall look while keeping some of the quirkiness. But they absolutely had to bring the designs to modern standards as the old ones didn't particularly age well.

Personally, I never cared for Chizuru's old design much, but she looks pretty hot now imo. On the other hand, there some shots where Yuuko doesn't look too good and whatnot, but I feel that has more to do with overall art quality than her new design per se.

I think the Tsukihime vn remake is a great example of old characters with successfully modern looks. But even in that case, I've seen some old fans bitching about it.

There's always this risk when it comes to changing design especially the ones people got accustomed to. For me i'm quite okay with it. I think Muv-Luv probably is one of the VN that has the most design/artwork changes. Confession had its own style, chronicles has its own style. That's mostly due to the new software they're using though i believe.
Oct 14, 2021 10:00 PM

Sep 2014
ixarising said:
I think Muv-Luv probably is one of the VN that has the most design/artwork changes.

Great point. I haven't read the spin-offs, but I've seen images and they clearly have different designs too.
Oct 14, 2021 10:38 PM

Oct 2017
This is the only muv luv I've watched and I can tell you it's not hard to follow but everything in here is just bullshit.... Oh hey I have information from the future better go for training and have some basic lecture on something that is completely irrelevant in fighting BETA...

Episode one: Brutal mecha anime.
Episode two: Time traveler isekai harem training compilation. Am I watching the same show?

insert[confused guy meme here]

Episode one > two, fight me.
Oct 14, 2021 11:02 PM
Jan 2018
Sark_Morgan said:
This is the only muv luv I've watched and I can tell you it's not hard to follow but everything in here is just bullshit.... Oh hey I have information from the future better go for training and have some basic lecture on something that is completely irrelevant in fighting BETA...

Episode two: Time traveler isekai harem training compilation. Am I watching the same show?

Then it is hard to follow because you have no idea why any of this is actually happening and why it's important.
Oct 15, 2021 12:53 AM
Feb 2015
FlamepriesT said:
ixarising said:
I think Muv-Luv probably is one of the VN that has the most design/artwork changes.

Great point. I haven't read the spin-offs, but I've seen images and they clearly have different designs too.

It is quite different and a different sense of pleasent-ness.

Sark_Morgan said:

Just out of curiosity, who did you think the MC was when you're watching episode 1?
That aside, i just want to nitpick on this section "have some basic lecture on something that is completely irrelevant in fighting BETA...", this comment is equivalent to there's no war going on right now, why do we need armies, bombs, tanks etc. They're in an army, there's no guarantee that the enemy will always be BETA.
Oct 15, 2021 2:01 AM

Oct 2017
Animaniaig said:
Sark_Morgan said:

Then it is hard to follow because you have no idea why any of this is actually happening and why it's important.

Aliens invading earth isn't hard to follow, everything else was pretty laid out what's happening we have a Isekai time travel dude....

ixarising said:

Just out of curiosity, who did you think the MC was when you're watching episode 1?
That aside, i just want to nitpick on this section "have some basic lecture on something that is completely irrelevant in fighting BETA...", this comment is equivalent to there's no war going on right now, why do we need armies, bombs, tanks etc. They're in an army, there's no guarantee that the enemy will always be BETA.

"Si vis pacem, para bellum", I get it, but my point stands they are 3 months away of enacting a plan to leave all humans behind on earth and you get a dude from the future that can layout almost everything that will happen and all missions or whatever he has been on, dude should be debriefed as long as possible and strapped into a robot afterwards, they are training to get into robots asap not to be officers.

The mc for the first episode was the girl with purple hair and glasses... I'm pretty sure we followed her the whole time.
Oct 15, 2021 2:47 AM
Nov 2013
This adaptation is proof that anime was a mistake
Oct 15, 2021 4:25 AM
Mar 2012
Parallel/Isekai + time travel, seriously!? Even necessary to cameo other story branches? Just make separate season per branch like Fate or go in order.
Feels 2000s oldish animation, nice OP music.
MC started extreme cringe, still a hero wannabe, but grew better by end.
Ah Meiya, Emiya's long lost sister. Classrep biggly glasses ever.
Where's Komaki?
Oct 15, 2021 4:31 AM
Jan 2019
gophercg said:

Where's Komaki?

Without spoiling too much, if they do a straight adaptation (of the manga that is) it will take some time until we see her again but she will return this season. Depending on how much time the adaptation takes, either around the midway point are somewhere close to the end
Oct 15, 2021 5:23 AM

Jan 2008
TRACE ON!

When Takeru is Emiya Shirogane.

Oct 15, 2021 5:33 AM
Mar 2012
Incognimous said:
gophercg said:

Where's Komaki?

Without spoiling too much, if they do a straight adaptation (of the manga that is) it will take some time until we see her again but she will return this season. Depending on how much time the adaptation takes, either around the midway point are somewhere close to the end

thx nice to know. ep1 felt like a completely different show.
Oct 15, 2021 5:44 AM
Oct 2020
gophercg said:
Parallel/Isekai + time travel, seriously!? Even necessary to cameo other story branches? Just make separate season per branch like Fate or go in order.
Feels 2000s oldish animation, nice OP music.
MC started extreme cringe, still a hero wannabe, but grew better by end.
Ah Meiya, Emiya's long lost sister. Classrep biggly glasses ever.
Where's Komaki?

"started extremely cringe"
they toned it down. Takeru in the VN is a manchild. But that's what makes the VN good. You get to see his character growth after being abused so much.

"Just make separate season per branch like Fate or go in order."
all the source reader is begging for at least an unlimited arc before alternative.
dailybreadOct 15, 2021 5:48 AM
Oct 15, 2021 7:28 AM

Jan 2008
planetwarrior said:
TRACE ON!

When Takeru is Emiya Shirogane.

Ppl die when they're killed (which is true in this universe)
Even tho you're right doesn't mean you're correct.

I am the mechanic of the Tactical Surface Fighter
Steel is the form factor and electricity is my blood
I have created over a thousand parallel worlds
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life.
Have overcome the suffering to create many possibility
Yet, those hands will never hold anything
So as I pray, Unlimited Alternative Works.
Oct 15, 2021 9:00 AM
Feb 2015
Sark_Morgan said:
Animaniaig said:

Aliens invading earth isn't hard to follow, everything else was pretty laid out what's happening we have a Isekai time travel dude....

ixarising said:

"Si vis pacem, para bellum", I get it, but my point stands they are 3 months away of enacting a plan to leave all humans behind on earth and you get a dude from the future that can layout almost everything that will happen and all missions or whatever he has been on, dude should be debriefed as long as possible and strapped into a robot afterwards, they are training to get into robots asap not to be officers.

The mc for the first episode was the girl with purple hair and glasses... I'm pretty sure we followed her the whole time.

It's not like everyone knew the alternative V plan is going to occur 2/3 months later. For starters, it's a secret project, are you expecting the whole world to know what is happening behind the scenes? Besides what is Takeru supposed to say? I come from the future, i know what's going to happen so just listen to me? He tested his luck with Yuuko and it worked (there's a reason but i won't explain here to avoid spoiling), but if he goes around testing that luck with everyone, it won't be a future he'll save. It'd be a mental hospital he gets put into.
Oct 15, 2021 1:24 PM

Jan 2009
time loops and parallel universes combination

Meiya is sexy hot in that drinking fountain scene but the rest of the 2D animation in this episode are bad
Oct 15, 2021 6:37 PM
Feb 2015
deg said:

Meiya is sexy hot in that drinking fountain scene but the rest of the 2D animation in this episode are bad

The fountain scene just made it even more painfully obvious to me. Does the anime producer want her breasts to be big or to be medium.
Oct 15, 2021 6:59 PM

Jan 2009
ixarising said:
deg said:

The fountain scene just made it even more painfully obvious to me. Does the anime producer want her breasts to be big or to be medium.

at least they are prioritizing the fanservice scenes lol
Oct 15, 2021 11:06 PM

Nov 2016
The opening is a banger
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.