Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 13, 2021 9:42 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Takeru needs to calm the hell down. He's more sensitive than I had expected.

Got to see more of Meiya and the other soldiers making their official introductions. Life doesn't look easy for any of them but it looks like they all expected that. Not as much as violence this episode as the first one.
Oct 13, 2021 9:47 AM
Apr 2016
Well, this was ridiculous.

So the whole UNLIMITED and EXTRA (60-70 hours of gameplay) have been reduced to a series of "flashbacks"... Which are really just still pictures

Who is this thing targeted at, anyway? It's certainly not anime-only friendly, with the story being already 50% done, nor longtime-fans friendly, with the adaptation featuring a whole new cast for characters we already have pre-established voices for and the fact it omitted everything before Alternative

JanPriOct 13, 2021 10:07 AM
Oct 13, 2021 10:22 AM

Jul 2017
When you see the earlier Muv-Luv series being compressed into mere minutes of backstory and still shots, that's saying something.

For a start, Takeru Shirogane might be the same as before, but for some reason this kinda divulges Alternative into an entirely new direction that felt even more lifeless than Total Eclipse.

Decent introduction with the other soldiers alongside Takeru into the squadron, and convincing scientist-cum-former teacher Yuuko Koizuki into believing to make Alternative IV a success so that V doesn't happen, and that's all we get from Takeru because he came from another world that has already a foreseeable future.

Now I'm not sure what this is trying to be.
Oct 13, 2021 10:27 AM

Jul 2015
Dies Irae with mecha. Not sure who they are targeting with this dumpster fire, but it's not anime-onlies nor those who played the VN
Oct 13, 2021 10:30 AM

Jul 2017
This episode from a VN reader perspective was depressing to watch, since I'm trying to look at this show from an anime-only side and I can clearly tell how much is being cut or left out through the smallest of flashbacks at best, like with the stuff from his past experiences or how he knows certain characters from before, and much more. Felt completely different from the first episode too like they belonged to different shows except the fact that BETA are involved.

But in general, this episode proved how badly this adaptation is turning out to be from the get-go without Extra and Unlimited shown in some detail to flesh out Takeru's character and journey as a whole, to get to the point where he is at in Alternative. He feels like such a lacking character so far with a very, very annoying voice here too.

KANLen09 said:

Now I'm not sure what this is trying to be.

Yeah, the fact that you can't even tell what this show is trying to be automatically shows how rough this adaptation is since these events cut out so much of what Takeru went through to get to this very position from previous games (including all the training and knowledge that made him outclass everyone in brawns and brains, and comradery that he made with his peers in the past while here, we got no connection with these girls from the past, only through these events).

In conclusion, this episode sucked so badly and was bad in both anime-only and VN-reader perspectives that I have in my head. I don't get the targeted audience at all for this.
Oct 13, 2021 10:32 AM

Oct 2010
Seeing my man Takeru holding Minaru Kamui (Meiya's sword) at the end of unlimited o7.
Best girl Meiya.

----

So i guess they are going the route of trying to cram flashbacks of Extra and Unlimited into this one cour while starting off Alternative full steam ahead. Definitely takes away the feels why Takeru is actually trying so hard and being emotional right from the start.

Oct 13, 2021 10:34 AM

Jan 2015
Wow the opening song was good, like really really good.

So from what I got, the MC is from another world, somehow now in another world, died in the BETA one and came back from the future trying to stop this plan called Alternative V? Sounds like a more complicated version of S;G lol.

Episode was in itself pretty good, but as someone with 0 knowledge on the franchise, it definitely felt like we are starting like in the middle of the series almost at the climax.

Good episode nonetheless and looking forward to the next one. Ponytail girl at the end is cute, I thought she was gonna be your typical classy but rude traditional japanese girl.
XenocrisiOct 13, 2021 10:37 AM
Oct 13, 2021 10:49 AM

Sep 2014
This looks perfectly fine for anime-only viewers. Sure, it's not the god-tier level adaptation like S;G that everyone wanted, so many vn readers wil stilll complain... but is it watchable for those unwilling to read the vn? Absolutely.

Is the emotional impact the same? Hell no.
Would I be happier with an alternate version of Extra and Unlimited as a 2-ep ova or something instead of just flashbacks? Definitely.

However...

Does it still have a good premise and enough context to follow the events? Yes.
Would I have decided to read the vn if I hadn't read it already or at least kept on watching the show after this episode? Yes.

All in all, this episode still managed to deliver some intriguing things for those watching it blindly imo. I hope anime onlies enjoyed this episode. Or perhaps even better, feel curious enough to give the vn a try.
FlamepriesTOct 13, 2021 10:53 AM
Oct 13, 2021 10:56 AM
Nov 2014
As somebody who more or less knows the plot of MLA but hasn't read the VN, this felt... well, cohesive enough. Personally I despise flashbacks, especially flashback arcs when there's a story to be moved on with, but these were fast enough to not really inhibit - in fact, I don't think there's any other way of dealing with Extra and Unlimited without devoting entire episodes to it, and more so than that, the execution of these edge-toned still shots kinda does the job.
What did feel off is the pacing of Takeru convincing Yuuko to side with him.

Calling it a "dumpster fire" is being as emotional over it as Takeru in the first half of the episode though.

OP song ok, OP visuals cool (
), I'm not going to be a fan of the ED in either department however - not only not up my alley, but it also feels odd against MLA.
TranslatorPSOct 13, 2021 11:00 AM
Oct 13, 2021 11:01 AM
Oct 2020

let's talk. what the fuck with the downgrade?
Oct 13, 2021 11:14 AM

Jul 2019
Honestly, pacing and ost were good but that's about it.

Character designs make me want to put bleach in my eyes, characters have almost completely lost their charm and soul (especially Meiya) and for anime onlys it's even worse because they are missing context and don't know anything about said characters.

Sure, the plot can still be followed but anime onlys won't be following Takeru's perspective at all destroying every possible attachment to the character/s.

For example when Takeru remembers past events we are supposed to follow them to understand his character development and perspective but of course here this doesn't happen. These things may not sound that bad on paper but it still destroys the whole experience.

As a VN reader the episode was overall quite enjoyable but i can't help but think about all of these problems.
Fax001sOct 13, 2021 11:29 AM
Oct 13, 2021 11:18 AM

Jan 2008
dailybread said:

LOL, they look more younger.
Oct 13, 2021 11:26 AM

Oct 2015
wow that was... fast

They played almost all of the scenes way too fast. There's like no emotion whatsoever in every scenes, which made this whole episode feels flat. Where's the confusion when Takeru wakes up knowing he's in another world/going back in time. Where's the tension when Yuuko points her gun to him. It's like the staff wanted to cram so many info and plot points into 1 episode, they forgot that the scene needs to convey emotion too.

It's an adaptation, for Moorcock-Lechte's sake. No need to do 1 to 1, scene by scene adaptation. Give it a clever presentation. Use your medium well. Even if it's different from the source, as long as the main plot progression still the same, and conveys the same info then that's good enough.

I maybe hoping too much from this episode, because I use the first episode as standard. It's still decent but,...eh
Udin554Oct 13, 2021 11:34 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2021 11:35 AM
May 2013
I wonder how Total Eclipse watchers would react when they will realize XD

This feels so average and low budget DX
Imo Total Eclipse was better adapted, better animation, great pacing. (so far)

I don't know how you feel but to me this is rushed as hell, they try so hard to cram much in one episode, I would feel confused and feel like they try to give it as a bonus for VN players only and I've seen shows like this. Hopefully by the end of the season I won't replay the VN and then watch the anime and the possible sequels.
Oct 13, 2021 11:41 AM

Jan 2008
LOL, they're going for Schwarzesarken's fast paceness...
Oct 13, 2021 11:51 AM

Jan 2016
Meiya darling what have they done to you!

The pacing is surprisingly good and I'm getting used to the voice changes (except for Meiya). Although they did cram unlimited into an explanation as expected, which obviously isn't a good thing but did people seriously still expect them to give us unlimited and extra as more than a flashback?

As of now, I don't care about how much Anime onlys understand unfortunately because I just want an OK adaptation of Alternative as selfish as that might sound. Extra and unlimited didn't get adaptations unfortunately but that doesn't mean they should shove it in Alternative more than necessary

People are seriously overreacting over this, it has its faults, yes but it hasn't done anything very wrong so far and we should never expect 1:1 adaptations of VNs.
FireFistYKOct 13, 2021 12:00 PM
Oct 13, 2021 11:51 AM
Apr 2016
planetwarrior said:
dailybread said:

They also look like copy pasted robots. Moving exactly the same way at the exact same time with no clothes movement
Oct 13, 2021 11:54 AM
May 2021
We're finally at the main story and can see what they've done here.
Animation wise, It was passable. Designs in some angles looked lazy.
As for VAs, Meiya's looked alien. But props to chizuru, kei's va coz they nailed it fr and made me smile for several times.
Story wise, I guess they're going in a fine direction. It can absorb some new anime onlys into the fandom. Overall this adaptation is in F/SN '06 level of decency. But âge must've try harder to make muv-luv widely known.
Oct 13, 2021 11:55 AM
Jan 2018
Complete garbage. I expected bad but in no way did I expect this level of bad. Everything from the pace to the lack of emotion to the visuals were complete garbage. No idea who this is for because it's nowhere close to newbie friendly and source readers will despise it for being butchered. For example, they did exactly what the fans did and copy/pasted the designs from the design sheet over a background instead of redrawing.

Genuinely one of the worst adaptations to ever exist even now at episode 2 and it's just going to get worse from here on out. This is Dies Irae all over again except the source is actually good.
AnimaniaigOct 13, 2021 12:06 PM
Oct 13, 2021 11:55 AM

Jul 2011
When you barely remember the previous Muv-luv animes and never played the VN and begin to read this discussion posts and then the only thought is "da fuck they doin ova der".

This episode made me wonder, Muv-Luv have a positive ending?
Oct 13, 2021 12:10 PM

Jun 2014
This was pretty decent.

Of course anime-only are only being told of past development instead of seeing it but I believe it's a good enough compromise. The pacing is good and the animation is a little bit below average.

OP and ED are decent but I don't feel they fit. It's shaping up to be a okay adaptation if they keep the pacing.
Oct 13, 2021 12:15 PM
Hello World!:))

Oct 2015
I feel disappointed... I loved the first episode but now I've lost my hype. I didn't think they would try to cover the whole visual novel, I was hoping for just a little bit of the story- for example the Sadogashima mission ;_;

Don't know what to say:( I'm just sad, the music was good, animation was bad, too many strange flashbacks for people who didn't play the EXTRA and Unlimited.

I like the OP.
"I'll be done soon. If you wait nicely, I'll buy you some sweetbread." said Lawrence.

- I'll thank you not to treat me like a child.

"Oh, you don't want any?"

- I do.

Oct 13, 2021 12:21 PM
Apr 2021
I liked this episode, I think the pacing was on point without feeling like they were rushing too much. There is going to be some difficulty for people who are anime-only with understanding the plot, but so far I am happy with it.

My main hope is that they keep they pacing at a reasonable level and go for at least another season so there's a better chance at doing the key arcs right.

I am still also just so happy to see the cast animated, the new voices will take a bit of time to get used to but none are bad. I like the OP and the ED as well - they fit pretty well for the tone of the beginning of Alternative.
Oct 13, 2021 12:39 PM

Sep 2014
Now that I think about it, things could have been a lot smoother with nothing but 2 episodes as prologue.

Ep 1: Alternative 5 (= end of Unlimited)
Ep 2: Takeru's memories of his school life (= alternate version of Extra)

At the end of ep 2, Takeru leaves the house and realizes Alternative 5 was not a dream and that he's living through the same events again.

Now, I don't dislike ep 1 and still think the current adaptation is watchable... but this would have been a pretty simple and elegant solution imo, even if not perfect.
Oct 13, 2021 12:52 PM

Apr 2008
I get that the original character designs were a little odd especially the hair but thats what made them interesting to look at, these new designs just looks generic & cheap.

Oct 13, 2021 12:54 PM

Mar 2014
I'm pretty sure all they are shooting for with this is an advertisement boost for the franchise since they are working on Muv-Luv Integrate. Oh and Project Mikhail and Project Immortal. lol
LiquidacidOct 13, 2021 1:03 PM
Oct 13, 2021 1:25 PM

Jul 2017
Liquidacid said:
I'm pretty sure all they are shooting for with this is an advertisement boost for the franchise since they are working on Muv-Luv Integrate. Oh and Project Mikhail and Project Immortal. lol

Not sure if even as an advertisement, this is good enough lol. Some people force themselves to play to actually get this series, but some are just detracted any chances after this mediocre show lol.
Oct 13, 2021 1:29 PM

Oct 2012
Kinda weird, but not enough to make me feel it's bad so far.
Oct 13, 2021 1:39 PM
Nov 2012
The rushed to hell pacing of this episode just makes episode 1 feel like a waste when it could've been used to give a catch-up on how Unlimited ends (and maybe a quick rundown of Extra if needed) for a smoother transition into Alternative

Hard to stay optimistic with this one tbh
Oct 13, 2021 1:50 PM
Jun 2016
I don't know, I am a big fan of Muv-Luv visual novels, completed the Alternative, like, five times and this still doesn't look THAT bad for me. The graphics are kinda messy (let's hope BluRay fixes it), the pacing isn't even that fast. Voice acting and designs are maybe a bit weird, but it's possible to get used to them. While this adaptation could be handled better, I still think I'm going to enjoy this show. At least at this moment, it's okay.
Oct 13, 2021 1:54 PM

May 2018
Ok, now from here it was more like an isekai thing, guy, comes from another world where no BETA exist and now he travels to an alternate world with BETA going berserk..

So, what has become of the protagonist girl from ep 1.
Oct 13, 2021 1:59 PM

Jan 2015
Holy hell this is bad, this adaptation should not exist in the first place.
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 13, 2021 2:18 PM

Sep 2014
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Ok, now from here it was more like an isekai thing, guy, comes from another world where no BETA exist and now he travels to an alternate world with BETA going berserk..

So, what has become of the protagonist girl from ep 1.

Ep 1 was just a special introduction to the setting with some action to hook the viewers. It was never covered in detail in the original story, although the event itself did take place.

Takeru is the real protagonist.
Oct 13, 2021 2:40 PM

Feb 2016
To those of you questioning the purpose of this adaptation, it's obviously for those who don't have 100 hours to spare for the source material.

FlamepriesT said:
Now, I don't dislike ep 1

I hate that episode even more than I hate Extra and Unlimited. Your suggestion would have been better.
その目だれの目?
Oct 13, 2021 2:40 PM

Dec 2012
I feel bad for myself having to look at this animation compared to the VN
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 13, 2021 3:05 PM

Oct 2014
I'm having a hard time comprehending what is happening. It doesn't help that the characters were introduced with name tags rather than proper introductions. One more ep but then I'll probably drop it in favor of the visual novel.
Oct 13, 2021 3:19 PM
Oct 2020
Honestly this episode is pretty decent. The op especially, is great. Yeah I wished Extra and Unlimited would get an adaptation, but I’ll take what I can get.
PackJagOct 13, 2021 3:25 PM
Oct 13, 2021 3:55 PM

Apr 2021
I believe the target audience is people like me, who have never seen/read/played anything about muv-luv. I liked it.
Oct 13, 2021 4:25 PM
Aug 2010
From my perspective this is perfectly fine, as long as the pacing is concerned. No way in hell they would adapt extra and unlimited, those part were boring as hell and I actually only got to really like them after I reread the whole thing. Now, as far as animation goes, this is trash, they should have tried harder on that regard.

(I guess I'l just end up reading the visual novels a third time after the season ends)
Oct 13, 2021 4:46 PM
Feb 2015
limabitr said:
I believe the target audience is people like me, who have never seen/read/played anything about muv-luv. I liked it.

Nice nice, so as a new watcher what's your thought on the first two episodes. This is whats important here.
Oct 13, 2021 5:08 PM

Sep 2014
Lucifrost said:
FlamepriesT said:
Now, I don't dislike ep 1

I hate that episode even more than I hate Extra and Unlimited. Your suggestion would have been better.

Not sure why anyone would hate ep 1 for what it did, though I can easily see why people would dislike that for what it did *not* do.

RebelPanda said:
I'm having a hard time comprehending what is happening. It doesn't help that the characters were introduced with name tags rather than proper introductions. One more ep but then I'll probably drop it in favor of the visual novel.

What they did was contextualize things by giving viewers a gist of what is necessary to know in order to follow the story.

That said, if you're willing to read vns, by all means go read it. There's an entry barrier with Extra, but once you get to Unlimited it's a lot more interesting imo, and once you get to Alternative it's a masterpiece.
Oct 13, 2021 5:18 PM

Feb 2016
FlamepriesT said:
Lucifrost said:

Not sure why anyone would hate ep 1 for what it did, though I can easily see why people would dislike that for what it did *not* do.

Do I need a reason to dislike it? The only thing that kept me from dropping this anime was the knowledge that today's episode would be entirely different.
その目だれの目?
Oct 13, 2021 5:31 PM

Jun 2021
Sigh, so many questionable calls made by the people making this adaptation.

1. So you spent the time and effort to make an anime original episode 1, so that all the new viewers can understand the Muv-Luv world and setting. I think that's great, especially when you are adapting an older source material. But then you just skip many vital story arcs and just jump into the middle of the story? Why? Now viewers unfamiliar with the story are all lost and the older fans are mad that they are not getting a proper adaptation. Who is the target audience for this show? Because I don't think there is a single group of people who are happy with this.

2. I'm sorry, but the animation simply is not good. The VN came out 15 years ago and the character designs from back then are far more appealing then what this adaptation is offering. You can talk about how great the story is and all, but the characters designs are just as important IMO.

3. The MC's VA is just not good. I know he's a newbie and this is his first major role, but in a VN adaptation, it's vital to have a solid VA for your male MC, as he's going to have a lot of inner-dialogues. I just wish they would have casted somebody with a little more experience.
Oct 13, 2021 6:09 PM

Jul 2014
Oh. My. God, this ep. Pepeannoyed.jpg

- weird OP, not feeling it. ED is ehh.
- Sumika's ribbon nerfed. holy wtf these character designs are nerfed. LAZY ASS animation.
- WHAT THE HELL OMEGA TIMESKIP SPOILERS, gg explaining plot.

I'll give one thing that all the other VA's aside from Takeru's are okay, his VA is not really suited for this at all.

Overall, this ep is just an amateur animated turd.

Death to Anime.
OppaiSugoiOct 13, 2021 6:16 PM
Oct 13, 2021 6:09 PM
Jul 2016
JanPri said:
planetwarrior said:

They also look like copy pasted robots. Moving exactly the same way at the exact same time with no clothes movement

Damn this part was a definite boner kill for me!
Oct 13, 2021 6:26 PM

Oct 2009
Pacing of the episode was fine, I'm not even that mad that they skipped through Extra+Unlimited, but I guess that's more of me progressing through the five stages of grief, lol. (The stuff with Sumika is going to 5000% fall flat on its face later, though......)

The animation is so bad I had to pause the episode multiple times out of sheer cringe. As soon as we got the o7 salutes I had a terrible feeling in my gut. I actually kind of like the new character designs, but they're just are not drawn well most of the time. Fuck, Takeru spent 80% of the episode off-model, sometimes to a laughable extent. During some of the closeups, what the fuck did they do to his chin and neck? Motherfucker LITERALLY looking like a giraffe.

I hope the fights are better animated because if not... yikes...
Oct 13, 2021 8:58 PM

Jul 2017
BlichoBoy said:
When you barely remember the previous Muv-luv animes and never played the VN and begin to read this discussion posts and then the only thought is "da fuck they doin ova der"

lol same. here's me thinking it was average and not too difficult to get the gist but nop, apparently it's gone straight through rushed city. Though I can understand sourcefag source readers frustration if that's the case

but hey that ed is pretty dope though
Oct 13, 2021 10:22 PM

Oct 2017
Everything except the 3DCG production is unfortunately subpar. It makes me wonder how an IP with so much clout like Muv-Luv got shafted with such an underwhelming adaptation.
Oct 13, 2021 11:51 PM

Feb 2018
That was nice. Yeah, some of the scenes were adapted too fast, but without anything critical.
Let's see the next episodes.

I really don't understand all of the hate (maybe because nobody cares about this anime except VN fans who will hate any anime adaptation no matter what). Of course, in perfect world something like Muv-Luv would get 100+ episodes and ufotable production, but even this looks fine as an addition to a visual novel (and not like Chaos;Child or another dumpster fires). Even anime-onlies (is there any anime-onlies?) will understand the plot because of the flashbacks.

Also, VN character designs were fucking garbage. This ones are generic, but passable
kataneerOct 14, 2021 12:22 AM
Oct 14, 2021 12:07 AM

Jan 2017
I'm so fucking sad
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.