Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 22, 2021 1:06 AM

Apr 2012
Have there been times in your life when you heard a lot about the show, but when you watched it yourself, the reality in your understanding turned out to be completely different? For example, a bunch of people and reviewers have told you that the anime is very bad, but after watching it you find it is actually good.

This has been the case with Shouwa Rokugo in my life, when many reviewers and viewers told me that it was a "shameless fujo bait show", but in the end it turned out to be a rather passionate anime about a straight love triangle.
Aug 22, 2021 1:08 AM
Jul 2021
That never happened but the opposite i.e. the series that is praised by everyone end up disappointing me happens a lot.

Big_Floppa_Aug 22, 2021 4:34 AM
Aug 22, 2021 1:22 AM

Jun 2017
I was told Horimiya was gonna be an amazing anime, but it turned out to be bad... I was told Attack on Titan's ending is trash but turned out to be good... I was told Madoka Magica was a cute Mahou Shoujo anime, and that turned out to be a fuckin lie

I learned not to take other peoples opinions seriously about an anime before watching the show myself
Aug 22, 2021 1:25 AM

Aug 2020
I was told that Cowboy Bebop is a masterpiece but it turned out to be some random episodic show.
Aug 22, 2021 1:27 AM

Aug 2019
Oreimo, expected something horrible from some of the things people said about the ending but I ended up enjoying it
Aug 22, 2021 1:28 AM

Apr 2012
Katou81 said:
I was told Horimiya was gonna be an amazing anime, but it turned out to be bad... I was told Attack on Titan's ending is trash but turned out to be good... I was told Madoka Magica was a cute Mahou Shoujo anime, and that turned out to be a fuckin lie

I learned not to take other peoples opinions seriously about an anime before watching the show myself

This is true. In the past, I've dropped so many shows because of studying someone else's opinion before watching it, that now I just ignore any reviews and comments if the show is not a big topic for me.
Aug 22, 2021 1:32 AM

Mar 2020
People always say that Attack on Titan is a “masterpiece”

But it’s one of the worst and most unoriginal stories I’ve ever seen
Aug 22, 2021 1:49 AM
Oct 2019
I was extremely disappointed with NGE and also Cowboy Bebop, it's not like they suck but when you have so high expectations because of their rating/whatever there's high chances of you being disappointed.
Aug 22, 2021 2:17 AM

Jul 2020
For me, it was black clover.
So many people were hating it for no reason at all when I liked it from the beginning.
Katou81 said:

About Madoka.... they were obviously trolling you saying it's a cute moe show lmao. You fell for their trap.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 22, 2021 3:38 AM

Jun 2017
Scordolo said:
For me, it was black clover.
So many people were hating it for no reason at all when I liked it from the beginning.
Katou81 said:

About Madoka.... they were obviously trolling you saying it's a cute moe show lmao. You fell for their trap.

Yea but it ended up being in my top 8 favorite anime ever, so.... joke's on them 😎
Aug 22, 2021 3:52 AM

Apr 2021
I was told MAL was a great site for anime discussions with an intuitive user interface. Biggest lie of them all.
Aug 22, 2021 4:17 AM
Jul 2020
RobertBobert said:
Have there been times in your life when you heard a lot about the show, but when you watched it yourself, the reality in your understanding turned out to be completely different? For example, a bunch of people and reviewers have told you that the anime is very bad, but after watching it you find it is actually good.

This has been the case with Shouwa Rokugo in my life, when many reviewers and viewers told me that it was a "shameless fujo bait show", but in the end it turned out to be a rather passionate anime about a straight love triangle.

I was told that Gintama was not for everyone. Because of this impression, my first 3 attempts to watch it ended in failure. It was my 4th attempt that was juxtaposed with a clear sense of boredom that opened my eyes. And now, it is one of my top 10 favorites.
Aug 22, 2021 4:23 AM

Nov 2019
I feel like Welcome to the NHK! gets portrayed or presented as much more serious than it actually is at least for the first 15 or so episodes which in a sense did leave me pretty disappointed. Its the series that taught me to go into every future series with my expectations in check to avoid needless disappointment. I do plan on rewatching it to be fair to it rather than moping about how it wasn't what I thought it was going to be before seeing it.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Aug 22, 2021 4:36 AM

Mar 2021
RobertBobert said:

This happens all the time. I have lost track of the titles I have watched where I have read a bad review of it then found myself enjoying it anyways. Sometimes I will purposely watch something just because of how badly some others review it. A majority of the time no matter how cliche a title is as long as it's entertaining I am not really that picky.
Aug 22, 2021 8:42 AM

Jul 2017
I can think of a couple

Arte I was under the impression that it was gonna be a renaissance story with some light feminism themes. Turned out to be a renaissance story with overbearing feminism themes lmao. I think some of the early episodes can literally be reduced down to "she was a woman"

and Bloom Into You I was under the impression (at least for the anime) that romance wise it was supposedly the greatest of all time or something like that. Well the story itself turned out to be pretty good but the romance was decent at best
Aug 22, 2021 10:11 AM

May 2018
"when many reviewers and viewers told me that"

Here's your problem. The solution is stop reading reviews.
Like if something interests you watch one episode:
- It goes without saying you continue it if you liked the episode.
- If you hate it drop it.
- If you are on the fence or you think the show has potential - follow the three episode rule.
Aug 22, 2021 10:21 AM

Dec 2018
Katou81 said:
I was told Madoka Magica was a cute Mahou Shoujo anime, and that turned out to be a fuckin lie

People told you that as it’d give you the best experience. Watching Madoka blind, especially in the years surrounding its release, was an incredibly unique experience. I still remember being on the edge of my seat watching what I thought was a regular magical girl anime slowly delve further and further into hopelessness and melancholy.
Aug 22, 2021 10:27 AM

Feb 2021
People kept saying Horimiya was good and then I watched it and it was soooo boring.
Aug 22, 2021 10:30 AM
Sep 2018
I spent years thinking that Fate was set in medieval times. I have a few friends who are fans of the franchise, and I heard them talking about the show a lot before actually watching it, and yet that was still the impression that I got. I talked with one of them about that one day, and they had had the same misconception

I spend some time thinking that Monogatari was a niché show, but finding out that it was the top-selling anime blu-ray in Japan, one of the most popular anime on Anikore, and then seeing the amount of Monogatari fans that show up in anime communities disproved that
Aug 22, 2021 10:33 AM

Nov 2019
I was confused several times, mostly by myself.

- With Bungou Stary Dogs I was sure for some reason that relationship between Dazai and Atsushi will be more friendly than superior/inferior
- I did not expect Scumbag System to be isekai
- Darling in the FranXX used to be good in people stories
- Same with Given
- Same with Kimi no Na wa
- I was sure about that Domestic no Kanojo will be trash by opinions I've heard yet I really liked it
- I thought that Fruits Basket is simply reverse harem
- I definitely did not expect mental illness thread while watching Jie Yao
- I thought Overlord is really good (it wasn't)
- Thinking Papa datte, Shitai is just Shonen-ai bought me little surprise
- I had to think Shinsekai Yori is more like Re:Zero (idk why)
- I had bigger expectations from Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, all were fail
- Also thinking that WataMote will be funny was dumb
- I throught that Zankyou no Terror will be more cyberpunk
Aug 22, 2021 10:43 AM

Feb 2020
Well, i am currently watching Agatha Christie no Meitantei Poirot to Marple, i has pretty bad review with people calling it childish adaptation, annoying character and inferior adaptation. But i am very much enjoying it and is quite satisfied by the adaptation. (it way better than sherlock hound which has somewhat better reception)
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 22, 2021 11:05 AM

Nov 2016
I don't buy an opinion from someone just like that, unless I trust that person. If I happen to read a review then I always read at least one or two more. I take a look at the profiles of the writers as well. That gives me a better idea of what to expect and I don’t have to blame others because of my poor judgement.

Also jfl. You read reviews and talked to many people, and your takeaway was that it's a shameless fujo bait show? What? This is too much, even for you Robert.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 22, 2021 11:11 AM

Jun 2016
RobertBobert said:

Wait shouwa rakugo is lit ass show, i never came across anyone calling fujo bait show, probably these are same people who call men gay just because they dress feminine or hold hands, like it's so fucking stupid that your sexuality is so fragile that you can't even see these things.

On the other hand relating to anime, never go for reviews watch the show for yourself and decide as everyone perceives things differently like people loved "86" but for me it's fucking jack shit so yeah if i went with review i would have loved it but never happened and same thing happens vice versa like everyone said ohh
Godzilla SP is dumb but i fuckinn loved it.
Tats_Spill_TeaAug 22, 2021 11:17 AM
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Aug 22, 2021 11:18 AM

Apr 2012
MazinIndian said:
RobertBobert said:

Wait shouwa rakugo is lit ass show, i never came across anyone calling fujo bait show, probably these are same people who call men gay just because they dress feminine or hold hands, like it's so fucking stupid that your sexuality is so fragile that you can't even see these things.

On the other hand relating to anime, never go for reviews watch the show for yourself and decide as everyone perceives things differently like people loved "86" but for me it's fucking jack shit so yeah if i went with review i would have loved it but never happened and same thing happens vice versa.

Several people told me that one of the characters is bisexual and has a crush on the other, and that this is a very ship bait show.
Aug 22, 2021 11:22 AM

Jun 2016
RobertBobert said:
MazinIndian said:

On the other hand relating to anime, never go for reviews watch the show for yourself and decide as everyone perceives things differently like people loved "86" but for me it's fucking jack shit so yeah if i went with review i would have loved it but never happened and same thing happens vice versa.

Several people told me that one of the characters is bisexual and has a crush on the other, and that this is a very ship bait show.

Well i don't know maybe that's the assumptions, for me i came to conclusion that rakugo is the thing which draw both men together and they also had the same women just because of rakugo only so it's a great story telling and i don't know how people making ships as there is clear indications of bromance and even if one is bisexual what anime story gotta do about it, you just watch and check it out yourself.
Aug 22, 2021 11:23 AM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
I was told Madoka Magica was a dark and innovative take on the mahou shoujo genre. Lol, nope. It's just another run-of-the-mill mahou shoujo with a few darker-than-average themes

I was told that Free! was a boys' love series. While I have absolutely nothing wrong with boys' love (or any other kind of romance, of course), that just isn't something that happens in Free!... It's still a really good sports drama though (and I definitely ship Rei and Nagisa, lol)

I heard MHA was bad. Just because it's rather generic, that doesn't make it "bad", IMO. I'd rather have a standard shounen that doesn't take any risks than some experimental train-wreck like Kaiba or End of Evangelion

I was told JoJo is a comedy. Just because something has jokes sometimes doesn't make it a comedy. JoJo is an action/horror/drama, lol

And the biggest false hope of all... "Pop Team Epic will be the next Nichijou!" Comparing the funniest show ever made to Pop Team Epic is an insult IMO, lol. I'd struggle to even label PTE a "comedy" since it's so unfathomably unfunny. I've seen tragedies that are funnier than Pop Team Epic, lol
My greatest contribution to this website:
Aug 22, 2021 11:23 AM

Jun 2016
ididnothingwrong said:
I was told MAL was a great site for anime discussions with an intuitive user interface. Biggest lie of them all.

Fucking Z tier fact, everyone here is just holding a shot gun, like i thought twitter and reddit was toxic
but MAL is just another level toxic.
Aug 22, 2021 11:26 AM

Apr 2012
MazinIndian said:
RobertBobert said:

Well i don't know maybe that's the assumptions, for me i came to conclusion that rakugo is the thing which draw both men together and they also had the same women just because of rakugo only so it's a great story telling and i don't know how people making ships as there is clear indications of bromance and even if one is bisexual what anime story gotta do about it, you just watch and check it out yourself.

Well, I watched this show and still think it was a pretty masterpiece anime. It's just that I was ready with the wrong expectations to watch it.
Aug 22, 2021 11:28 AM

Jun 2016
RobertBobert said:
MazinIndian said:

Well, I watched this show and still think it was a pretty masterpiece anime. It's just that I was ready with the wrong expectations to watch it.

Well i learned one thing from watching anime that you should never go into anime with expectations or on others opinion or reviews.
Aug 22, 2021 11:38 AM

Apr 2012
MazinIndian said:
RobertBobert said:

Well i learned one thing from watching anime that you should never go into anime with expectations or on others opinion or reviews.

It often saddens me if other people don't share the same opinion about the show, but in general, my thoughts are always more important to me in this regard.
Aug 22, 2021 11:52 AM

Apr 2020
From what I've read, I thought Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san would be a show about a girl and her friends bullying a boy to death. But it's about teasing, not bullying. And I enjoyed the anime very much.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Aug 22, 2021 11:56 AM

Jul 2019
Yes.

School Days. Was actually really good and I liked the concept, everything played out well as well. It was really good honestly.

Cowboy Bebop. Unoriginal episodic anime, borderline same breed as Yuru Camp, though it is more Girls' Last Tour if anything.

Elfen Lied. Oddly really plain...

Tenshi no Drop. Great anime, I honestly am not sure of why people dislike it.
To add actually, most things in the bottom 100 is actually good. Aki no Puzzle is the most misunderstood of the bunch.

Bleach. Fillers after filler...
Aug 22, 2021 3:23 PM
Dec 2017
Saw A Silent Voice and yeah it sucks.

Aug 22, 2021 4:57 PM

Feb 2021
Almost everyone including my brother tell me that Gintama is the really funny. I tried watching some episodes and I still find Sket Dance to be funnier. I watched Another and find it to be good, as opposed to what other people say (edgy, stupid etc).
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

More topics from this board

» Which anime character do you think would make the best therapist, and why? Would you want to be their patient?

Wendoka - May 28

25 by Shizuna »»
50 seconds ago

» Shoujo anime

Daniellaaa - 6 hours ago

21 by Ohayotaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

79 by Anjuro »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Best part of Fate Franchise?

Diamtheroad - 5 hours ago

19 by Guilmon1 »»
42 minutes ago

» Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Apr 26, 2016

4207 by Kurt_Irving »»
56 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.