Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 14, 2021 2:14 AM

Apr 2012
How much time do you spend in modern fandom? Are you trying to share your experience with young fans or to refute any misconceptions?
Aug 14, 2021 2:21 AM

Jan 2021
Not really. Aside from Youtube, I have a couple co-workers that watch but there's no deconstruction or anything like that, just floating names and recommendations and that's all I want it to be most of the time. It's essentially a sales pitch for attention and time.
Be intentional in all decisions and grab control of destiny in your life - make your choices count.
Life is a fluid undetermined journey - the good, the bad and the idle everyday situations in-between, all held together with purpose, families, dreams, and memories.

Aug 14, 2021 2:28 AM

Jun 2016
I always try to clear misconceptions whenever I see them even though sometimes they drive me nuts.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 14, 2021 2:55 AM

Apr 2020
would i be considered experienced if im still young but have completed more animes than most people?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2021 2:58 AM

Jun 2020
I am posting just so that I can call myself a experienced viewer, lol!!
How much time do you spend in modern fandom?
No, I don't. I occasionally use mal forums other than that I don't interact with other fan.
Are you trying to share your experience with young fans or to refute any misconceptions?
I try my best not to correct those so called misconceptions because I might be wrong who knows.
If they ask for suggestion I will surely help but I don't go out of my way to correct their theories, because it's sorta feel like an elitist.
At least I try my best to suppress that urge.
Aug 14, 2021 2:59 AM

Apr 2012
Kenzolo-folk said:
would i be considered experienced if im still young but have completed more animes than most people?

I don't think age is critical here. I knew people who were not much older than you, but their understanding and knowledge of anime was greater than mine.
Aug 14, 2021 3:00 AM

Sep 2008
not much. at all. I occasionally reply on the forums.
Are you trying to share your experience with young fans or to refute any misconceptions?
yes and no. I mostly just recc anime. they WILL NOT watch anything older than 2015. no matter what you tell them, it just doesn't work because it's not a hot topic anymore. they watch anime to socialize, it's not for the experience itself. truly a shame.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Aug 14, 2021 3:05 AM

Apr 2012
nyugvo6 said:
yes and no. I mostly just recc anime. they WILL NOT watch anything older than 2015. no matter what you tell them, it just doesn't work because it's not a hot topic anymore. they watch anime to socialize, it's not for the experience itself. truly a shame.

Are anime older than 2015 considered too old?
Aug 14, 2021 3:05 AM

Jun 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:

Experience is not measured with age, rather it's the involvement in that field.
If you have experienced more anime ranging in all genres than most of the people then that means you are experienced.
Age has nothing to do with it.
Aug 14, 2021 3:06 AM

Apr 2020
Lincanfer said:
Kenzolo-folk said:

If you have experienced more anime ranging in all genres than most of the people then that means you are experienced.

@RobertBobert

oh okay,

i asked because you said " Are you trying to share your experience with young fans "
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2021 3:08 AM

Apr 2012
Kenzolo-folk said:
Lincanfer said:

@RobertBobert

oh okay,

i asked because you said " Are you trying to share your experience with young fans "

Well, it's stereotypically believed that less experienced people are younger, but I don't think that is absolute. To be honest, I've met older people who have watched more anime than I do, but they still wrote pretty stupid things.
Aug 14, 2021 3:11 AM

Oct 2013
I dont get the time to explore online sites like MAL regarding this but whenever im talking to a friend that has a misconception of anything i do try to clear it up because he is ruining the fun otherwise... Also, when you get to know about diff opinions on a show or a scene it really helps to understand something better cuz the change in perspective...
Aug 14, 2021 3:47 AM

Sep 2008
RobertBobert said:
nyugvo6 said:

by today's standards yes, unfortunately. 2010 was the line just a few years back.
when I started out an irl friend told me he's not willing to watch anything made before 2000.
it's sad for a few reasons.
1. old anime has way better production value most of the time. it simply looks better.
2. a lot of current stories are either heavily "inspired" rehashes or sequels. chances are something you liked has been done better before.
3. new shows do reference old ones, more often than not. they could get extra kicks out of new shows as well.
4. every era has dominant themes, which means watching just the currently airing ones will not only rob you from tons of different experiences, but you'll end up bored with what you currently have and just leave thinking that's all anime has to offer.
5. complete genres died out, which you can never experience unless you're willing to look back.
6. classics deserve their title (mostly). they achieved something new shows just can't. they shaped the industry to what it is today. it works as a history lesson too, if you're interested in how your favorite show came to be.
I blame shortsighted people who parrot "anime is trash, haha am I right? do I fit in yet? we're all cringewatchers here"
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Aug 14, 2021 3:56 AM

Apr 2012
nyugvo6 said:
RobertBobert said:

by today's standards yes, unfortunately. 2010 was the line just a few years back.
when I started out an irl friend told me he's not willing to watch anything made before 2000.
it's sad for a few reasons.
1. old anime has way better production value most of the time. it simply looks better.
2. a lot of current stories are either heavily "inspired" rehashes or sequels. chances are something you liked has been done better before.
3. new shows do reference old ones, more often than not. they could get extra kicks out of new shows as well.
4. every era has dominant themes, which means watching just the currently airing ones will not only rob you from tons of different experiences, but you'll end up bored with what you currently have and just leave thinking that's all anime has to offer.
5. complete genres died out, which you can never experience unless you're willing to look back.
6. classics deserve their title (mostly). they achieved something new shows just can't. they shaped the industry to what it is today. it works as a history lesson too, if you're interested in how your favorite show came to be.
I blame shortsighted people who parrot "anime is trash, haha am I right? do I fit in yet? we're all cringewatchers here"

Sad to hear it, 90s and 00s anime is a usable classic for me.
Aug 14, 2021 4:04 AM

Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
How much time do you spend in modern fandom? Are you trying to share your experience with young fans or to refute any misconceptions?

Before answering your question: how much anime is needed to be considered "experienced"?

Aug 14, 2021 4:09 AM

Apr 2012
KitsuKatyusha said:
RobertBobert said:

Before answering your question: how much anime is needed to be considered "experienced"?

If you've read the other comments here, then you may have noticed that the amount of anime watched is not synonymous with great experience.
Aug 14, 2021 4:20 AM

Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
KitsuKatyusha said:

If you've read the other comments here, then you may have noticed that the amount of anime watched is not synonymous with great experience.

Yes that's true, amount doesn't mean much. So I'm answering.

I don't really care about modern fandom, unless they ask for any recommendation. Regarding discussions, I don't worry that much about refuting since they are new. But again, if they ask recommendations I try my best to give any classic anime, or """cult""" one (Lain, Monster etc)

Aug 14, 2021 4:25 AM

Apr 2012
KitsuKatyusha said:
RobertBobert said:

Yes that's true, amount doesn't mean much. So I'm answering.

I don't really care about modern fandom, unless they ask for any recommendation. Regarding discussions, I don't worry that much about refuting since they are new. But again, if they ask recommendations I try my best to give any classic anime, or """cult""" one (Lain, Monster etc)

Weebslayerr69 said:
I have a question for you too, what exactly makes you an "experienced" anime fan, watch time, how much time you've spent in the anime community?

In my understanding, an experienced anime fan is someone who has watched at least some of the "must-have" cult shows and has enough knowledge of the content and industry to have an interesting discussion about it. Sometimes you don't even need to have 100500 titles in MAL, just be aware of and understand important shows.
Aug 14, 2021 5:42 AM

Apr 2012
Weebslayerr69 said:
RobertBobert said:

In my understanding, an experienced anime fan is someone who has watched at least some of the "must-have" cult shows and has enough knowledge of the content and industry to have an interesting discussion about it. Sometimes you don't even need to have 100500 titles in MAL, just be aware of and understand important shows.

I see, then I guess I consider myself an experienced anime fan lol

Okey. I don’t know you, so I can’t say anything.
Aug 14, 2021 5:59 AM

Nov 2020
Idk if I am considered experienced or not but I love to recommend shows I liked to other fans bc I get really happy when they like my recommendations and about misconception, I will likely correct some of them like 'Pre 2005-2010 anime are bad' but won't force my opinion or interpretation of a certain on them bc that's just behaving like those I hate the most- 'Elitist'.

═════════════════════════════
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

═════════════════════════════
Aug 14, 2021 6:13 AM
Jul 2018
Well, I've been pretty active in the forums since I don't really have much going on as far as school. If anything, I like to interact with other people and learn about their experiences with watching anime.
Aug 14, 2021 6:31 AM

Mar 2020
Kenzolo-folk said:

I think yes? its similer to a 28 year old playing 50 football matches and 22 year dude playing 100+ even tho latter in younger he has more experience in that field.
the more anime you watch the more you will find about your personal taste and overall what you consider good or bad show not mention other small details
Aug 14, 2021 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:

I usually get bored after watching too much Anime so I love to find people with similar tastes
Aug 14, 2021 6:36 AM

Oct 2019
Zero. I don't like 2D stuff turning 3D
"Diving deep in the ocean of ACGL"
Aug 14, 2021 6:38 AM
Jul 2018
I usually keep quiet. Whenever I feel to refute someone's misconception then that's it.
Aug 14, 2021 9:16 AM

Oct 2010
basically it's my time on mal, I just talk about anime and shit
Aug 14, 2021 9:22 AM
Dec 2017
Alot of time really mainly with mal but these days i'm slowing down my time on mal.

Aug 14, 2021 9:33 PM

Jan 2020
I don't know if I count as experienced bbut I usually keep up with almost all the seasonals so I suppose that qualifies as sharing some time with the modern fans

Aug 14, 2021 9:41 PM

Jul 2017
I like to share my experience when it comes to recs especially for romance because the vast majority of romance recs are usually the same few series' (especially when it comes to manga cries) so it's a shame to see so many different series' that just go completely unnoticed
Aug 14, 2021 10:00 PM

Aug 2016
Max maybe 30 minutes to surf this particular discussion board and make posts and that's only when I'm bored or need a break from binging. If I have the opportunity to watch at home, I will continue to keep watching.

My opinion isn't all that unique enough to warrant to continually be more active than this and I don't have the patience.

I don't bother posting in seasonal threads.
Aug 14, 2021 10:13 PM

Sep 2013
"I've got no wisdom that I want to pass on" - Jarvis Cocker

Except this...

IRL if you really, really like anime... so much so you want to have an in-depth discussion about it because you heard I also like anime, we probably aren't going to be friends. You can like anime, but you also need to be a normal, socially aware person. It's just awkward if you're a lolicon, talk about your waifu and/or say shit like "kawaii" openly in a normal setting.
There's no need for all this tension.
Aug 14, 2021 10:15 PM

Nov 2016
Depends, with irl friends I just tend to recommend something that I consider good, or something from MAL with great score, that of course they want to watch, like a lot of them want Romance so I recommend them that (even tho most of them are trash). Discussing with them about remembering scenes or why some are good or bad is also there, we like to discuss, so there's that (not with online people).

And for the fandoms, as long as Instagram recommends me posts from them, I'll be interacting with them, but not much.
Aug 14, 2021 10:47 PM

Aug 2012
I gladly give advice, share experiences and recommend series to young fans if they´re interested. Sometimes I told stories about how different internet and fandoms used to be in the 2000s. They had a blast, it was fun to see their reactions.

However, I sorta gave up on them recently. Most fans under 25 are absorbing the toxicity that is ingrained into social media, specially Twitter and Instagram (Tik Tok too, but I never used this app) It´s really hard to keep up with them and they can be really rude sometimes. Needless to say, there´s the ship insanity, the gender/sexuality war about some characters, the gross "simping" and "stan" culture... I was so stressed I deleted my fandom account on Twitter.

I also receive some inappropriate comments on my fanfictions from teenagers... 18+ fanfiction, mind you, but I can´t stop them from visiting my pages, no matter if it´s listed as adult material. The best I can do is not interacting at all.
"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Aug 14, 2021 11:01 PM

May 2020
Not at all. In this day and age changing a person's opinion (whether they're right or wrong) is very difficult. If I see a misunderstanding or dumb opinions I just ignore because if they are the type of person who refuses to listen to logic or straight up reject another opinion, I'd be pissed off the whole day. So, I don't care enough to do that. That being said there is no single way to interpret an idea, many people will have differing opinions but that doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong or right.
Also if I want to listen to another person's opinion I don't just listen to a single person's opinion but rather multiple people's opinion and accept the one which makes the most sense to me.
I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Aug 14, 2021 11:18 PM

May 2019
I use my time watching anime/reading manga/playing video games, I do share my experience sometimes, but I don't engage in fandom that much. As an adult, I'm very experienced when it comes to anime in all kinds of media.
Loli hentai is hot.
Aug 14, 2021 11:28 PM

Mar 2018
Not too much time, if at all. No, I do not.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Aug 14, 2021 11:29 PM

Apr 2020
Well, I participate in episode discussions, although not on MAL because of (ahem) reasons. People irl still engage with me about anime very often, including young ones. I do clear misconceptions but sometimes people really don't want to hear another POV.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Will we ever get a anime cross over as big as the MCU?

Old_School_Akira - 51 minutes ago

8 by Spunkert »»
58 seconds ago

» Anime facts you didn't know before

LenRea - May 24

22 by Swyzen »»
3 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - 1 hour ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

» Opposite sex AND same sex characters you most relate to

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
27 minutes ago

» Secondary characters

JoeChip - 4 hours ago

15 by JTRAnimeNewb »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.