Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 4, 2021 5:32 PM
Sep 2019
+1 this... i have nvr seen any adults in AFA, anime festival in singapore before. Went there a few times, literally everyone is a teenager.
Aug 4, 2021 6:27 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
WutIsDis said:
I think this statement isn't wrong. A good chunk of the anime fandom are teenagers. And a lot of anime are shounen or influenced by shounen elements. If anime isn't for kids, then that would mean that majority of anime that are produced are seinen and mature which is clearly not true.

A more appropriate term would be "Anime is for teens" but teens are technically kids so....

Sure there are very mature anime (a good example is Monster), but I don't get why fans try their hardest to prove that anime is not for kids.

Because there are adults who still enjoy the medium. Disney, Dreamworks and Pixar films treat themes that kids can't understand. Western animation does this too, don't tell me you're going to say next that BoJack Horseman, South Park and Venture Bros were made for children??? I mean, SURE, stuff like Doraemon and Pokemon exists, but that doesn't make the medium for kids. Same goes for books, films, and any medium. I don't think Odyssey to the West or Perseopolis were made for LITERAL children. I don't think The Shape of Water or The Truman Show were made for children. Don't like Shonen/Shoujo? Go watch LITERALLY anything. Nobody is forcing you to watch anime, dude.

Kii_Ibarra said:
Yes, shounen and shoujo are intended for kids, but it's important to remember that just because something is made for kids, it doesn't mean that adults can't or shouldn't be able to enjoy it

As an adult myself yes, I'm an adult. That fact seems to surprise a few people, so I thought I'd make sure we're all on the same page, lol I have no problem watching and enjoying shounen/shoujo

>shounen and shojo are intended for kids

Isn't that Kodomo tho? And if I'm wrong, Death Note, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Aria the Animation, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter and Kageki Shoujo!!! were made for children? Watch all the 5 episodes of Kageki Shoujo that have aired and quote this message saying "That anime is for children." I dare you.
Ganji_No_TensaiAug 4, 2021 6:36 PM
i fucking hate manga (keeps reading manga

discord ~ ganjithedude

Aug 4, 2021 6:34 PM

Mar 2021
12D453 said:
+1 this... i have nvr seen any adults in AFA, anime festival in singapore before. Went there a few times, literally everyone is a teenager.

You have obviously never been to an Anime convention in America where if you are between the ages of 14-17 you have to have a parent or guardian with you. A lot of people who do serious cosplay at these events are usually 18 or older. I took my daughter to a few of them and was shocked to find a majority of people there were a lot older looking then simply looking like teenagers. A Majority of the venders are avid fans of some type of anime franchise who are mostly over the age of 30.

Edit: adding to this statement simply becoming an adult, people don't just suddenly drop watching anime. My daughter is 19 now and just a few weeks ago she asked if she could borrow some new anime I got recently so she could watch it before returning to school.
ColourWheelAug 4, 2021 6:55 PM
Aug 4, 2021 7:37 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Pretty sure that most of the popular anime are targeted towards kids (< 15 yrs) so if somebody generalizes and says that anime is for kids, they wouldn't be that far off from reality.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 4, 2021 7:39 PM

Jun 2020
But what if the anime has... IDK, blood? Nudity? Any of that?
Aug 4, 2021 7:44 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
GanjiMEX said:
Isn't that Kodomo tho? And if I'm wrong, Death Note, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Aria the Animation, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter and Kageki Shoujo!!! were made for children? Watch all the 5 episodes of Kageki Shoujo that have aired and quote this message saying "That anime is for children." I dare you.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that even DEATH NOTE and JoJo are intended primarily for children (specifically those aged ~15), surprising as it may seem, lol. I believe that's down to cultural differences regarding what sort of media is considered suitable for children in Japan versus what's considered suitable for children in other countries. I'm not a parent/guardian, media critic or child psychologist, so I'm not saying whether they are in fact suitable for kids or not, but merely that most countries (outside of Japan) wouldn't consider them to be, as far as I can tell. It's solely up to any child's legal guardian(s) to decide what is suitable for their child, IMO

Most countries' foreign licensors clearly know that shows like DN and JJBA wouldn't generally be considered "suitable" for most children and market them accordingly as cartoons for adults/older teens (although older teens are technically still "children", lol)

For what it's worth, I personally wouldn't even show My Hero Academia (which is considered by many to be one of the more "child-friendly" shounen series) to someone under the age of around 13. While I acknowledge that show's Japanese target demographic (and unalike DEATH NOTE and JoJo, it seems even the official licensors are trying to push MHA as a "kids' show"), I still personally wouldn't show it to a young child and I myself (as an adult) enjoy it more than I imagine I would've if I watched it as a child (not that MHA even existed when I was a child, but still... Lol)

As someone who waits for dub announcements before I commit to watching new anime only for them to get dubs and cause me to have to put them on hold and go back to rewatch the previous episodes dubbed like this year's SHADOWS HOUSE, for example I'm gonna have to deny watching Opera Girl! for now. Sounds kinda interesting though, so I might check it out when a dub is released/when a few months have passed and I give up hope of it getting dubbed, lol. Nothing about the show's MAL entry particularly implies to me that it isn't kid friendly, but then I could say the same about School-Live!, and I think most people would agree that it's not child-friendly, lol

Literally meaning “few years,” “shonen” (少年) typically refers to young boys under the age of fifteen. Thus, shonen anime and manga are aimed at that demographic.

“Shojo” (少女), which is often translated as “young girl,” is the female counterpart to shonen, and anime and manga of this type are aimed at girls between the ages of ten and eighteen.

Again, I want to emphasize that even if a show is made for kids, adults can still enjoy it as well. My favorite anime of all time is a shounen and my favorite cartoon in general is Steven Universe. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with being an adult and liking children's shows. Also, as I said in my original post, shounen and shoujo specifically are intended for children. Not "anime" as a whole. There are plenty of seinen (adult male) and josei (adult female) anime that exist and also hentai, lol. There are also many "all-ages" anime with no particular age range in-mind, demographic-wise (such as Pokémon, as far as I can tell)
"A children's story that can be enjoyed only by children is not a good children's story in the slightest." -C.S. Lewis.

And honestly, I'm personally more bothered by the fact that most TV shows are aimed at either a male or female audience, than I am by the fact that most of them are aimed at certain age groups, TBH
Kogasa-TataraAug 4, 2021 7:55 PM
My greatest contribution to this website:
Aug 4, 2021 8:23 PM
Jan 2019
Anime can be for adults or small children. You can't simply say "anime is for kids" you gotta be more specific than that. Like u can't play some crazy shit like re: zero, tokyo ghoul or whatever for a kid (depending on his age). That will mentally scar a child. When you say kids you have to be more specific about what age, A kid can be 5 or even 17 year olds are technically kids in some eyes. If you intend to say all anime are for kids then you are incorrect. That is factually not true and it is not a debatable argument.
Aug 4, 2021 8:31 PM

Jul 2019
I don't think that's the case anymore. There are varieties of shows in place and coming out seasonally. All of them have different age targets for.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Aug 4, 2021 11:15 PM

Mar 2021
Yes, especially the hentai category
Aug 4, 2021 11:24 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
That may be true but everyone can enjoy it and that's what matters

Aug 4, 2021 11:27 PM

Feb 2020
Hmm.. It depends on the anime. Some are for kids and some aren't.
Aug 5, 2021 12:05 AM

May 2009
Anime is a medium* with many different works.

Some of them really are for kids.

* technically a sub-medium category within animation, but whatever
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 5, 2021 12:40 AM

Oct 2008
Because once upon a time animation was for adults as much as for children. I'm pretty sure it started around the time popular characters from animations had toys of them made. The toys are what discouraged the adults the end.

I know animation is for everyone. Every person can find something for themselves in it. If they give it a shot, but with its stigma from the past, it's unlikely adults will get over themselves.
Aug 5, 2021 1:33 AM
Jan 2012
"All movies are for teens, because the MCU exists".
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 AM

Aug 2010
Just like any other type of media, kids are indeed one of the demographics, but I'd say anime is generally speaking for everyone, no matter age, gender etc. It really depends on either demographic or genre.
Aug 5, 2021 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
ColourWheel said:
12D453 said:

You have obviously never been to an Anime convention in America where if you are between the ages of 14-17 you have to have a parent or guardian with you. A lot of people who do serious cosplay at these events are usually 18 or older. I took my daughter to a few of them and was shocked to find a majority of people there were a lot older looking then simply looking like teenagers. A Majority of the venders are avid fans of some type of anime franchise who are mostly over the age of 30.

Edit: adding to this statement simply becoming an adult, people don't just suddenly drop watching anime. My daughter is 19 now and just a few weeks ago she asked if she could borrow some new anime I got recently so she could watch it before returning to school.

Wtf? Why do teenagers need a parent or guardian with them? 16, 17 yo are basically adults. You can vote here with 16.
America is so weird, pampering and treating teenagers almost like toddlers.
(Sorry, I had to vent that.)

Anyway, it's the same here. Kids and younger teenagers are rarely at anime cons and btw, half of the people there are female anime fans. But online some guys pretend that they are rare like a unicorn lol

Aug 5, 2021 3:50 AM
Aug 2021
We have moved far beyond this debate. Don't you have something new.
Aug 5, 2021 4:06 AM
Dec 2020
Anime is for the younger teen demographic, mostly. Forget shonen stuff even, most anime characters in general are in the 12-15 age range. You just have to roll with it and be ok with all this cool shit happening to kids who are underneath the drinking AND the driving age.
Aug 5, 2021 4:07 AM
Mar 2021
Although anime can be enjoyed by everyone I believe the age group that is most likely to enjoy it would be 14-23 (i've seen this demographic in some polls too). So i think, anime is for kids is true only to a certain degree. The most accurate statement would be 'anime is for adolescents and young adults.'
Aug 5, 2021 4:15 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Nah, Anime is not for kids. It's for everyone. It's a medium, not a genre. If anime was for kids, then it would not have been much different from cartoons. It would not be profitable to make something like e.g. "Violet evergarden" if the target audience were kids.

Also, Manga in Japan is not for kids. Pretty much everyone reads manga, to them, it is just a type of book. And mostly, anime are manga adaptations. It's just that Kids have more time on their hands which is why they usually consume more anime than grown-ups, but I don't think anime is specifically "for" kids.

Aug 5, 2021 4:18 AM

Feb 2021
i guess the tatami galaxy is for kids then.
Aug 5, 2021 4:18 AM

Dec 2018
Juralumin said:
Anime is for kids, I have not yet found a proper adult saying I like K-ON.

Big error. A lot of K-On! fans are 30 yo dudes with unshaved body hair all over the place. I'm not saying this as a joke so best believe this is the actual primary demographic.
. . .
Aug 5, 2021 4:22 AM
Jul 2018
Monster
Berserk
Vinland Saga
Fire Punch
Hellsing
Gantz
Sangatsu no Lion
Parasyte
Mushishi
Black Lagoon
Vagabond.
Aug 5, 2021 5:07 AM
Sep 2019
As I do have an anime themed YouTube channel, I can see that the majority is not underage.

The majority watching is 18-24 years old
Aug 5, 2021 5:13 AM

Aug 2020
You cannot generalize all the media, if so and only by guiding us by how much there is within it, the movies (in general) is an entertainment media for children, because it has mostly movies that can be seen by people under 18.

by the way, I want to clarify something, the demographics don't mean anything, they never did and never will, anime moe is mostly for kids, saying seinen doesn't mean anything because it seems to be a kodomo (although I didn't see much moe, but everyone points to what I said)

-Dreamer- said:
I'm an adult that grew up with anime so not sure what you're getting at.
Let people enjoy anime regardless of age.
Also, I didn't know "Redo of Healer" and other extreme ecchi anime are for kids Lol
\\The future looks (horny)-bright-//
Most of those who have seen kaifuku must be teenagers, who are basically children.
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Aug 5, 2021 6:04 AM

Oct 2020
You aren't technically wrong but usually when people say "anime is for kids" they mean little kids show, which is technically wrong since most "teenage anime" have a lot of pretty out there topics lol.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2021 6:19 AM

Jun 2016
Yuu_Kanzaki said:
Juralumin said:
Anime is for kids, I have not yet found a proper adult saying I like K-ON.
I'm an adult and I love K-On. Guess this is how it feels like being in the minority huh.
Don't worry, just means only the minority has good taste.

Aug 5, 2021 6:31 AM

May 2020
That's when I say, 'I DON'T GIVE A FUCK', I don't care what they say, I am the one watching anime, not them, I don't know how it it affects them if I watch it, I think they are the one being childish and judgemental over other people's hobbies.
Aug 5, 2021 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
Avicebrons said:
It's MUCH more easily accessible worldwide. So you can't exactly draw that conclusion. Besides, the rating methods are differently employed between comics and TV series. Meaning it's a null point to even make in order to support that argument.

I was talking about the different ratings between comics and animation from the start. But back then distributors with no clue promoted violent anime aimed at early teens for kids. There was not a distinction between shonen, kodomo etc outside Japan. Though anime got the short end of the stick when compared to domestic productions that also had violence or talked about adult themes in day hours.

Now things are far better when it comes to description and age ratings.

But now there is another problem.

previously kids would just have to switch the tv on to watch anime or watch a dvd or vhs tape and let parents and authorities foam because of the violence.
Now anime are behind various walls

Now unless their parents set things up on PC, have a tv subscription or guide them about torrents and media players they'll have zero clue. Also with so many series 30 kids in the same class might watch 30 different series with no connection to each other.

And this only if they know English well to read subs. For other languages, forget it without a dub.

No wonder Disney movies are far more accessible and with a far greater prestige and promotion even after decades have passed. Anime companies stopped caring for kids, leaving this to Disney.
Aug 5, 2021 8:43 AM

Feb 2020
Corrout said:
Anime is for everyone. It doesn't matter what age, gender or anything else, there is anime that likely will suit you.

Sure, alot of the anime community are teenagers (like me lol), but there are so many adults that also watch anime.

what they said.
because even if the majority of fans are teens, the target community for anime as a whole is basically everyone.

tysm iva-🐢💜

Aug 5, 2021 1:45 PM

May 2019
Leoradiuju2004 said:
You cannot generalize all the media, if so and only by guiding us by how much there is within it, the movies (in general) is an entertainment media for children, because it has mostly movies that can be seen by people under 18.

by the way, I want to clarify something, the demographics don't mean anything, they never did and never will, anime moe is mostly for kids, saying seinen doesn't mean anything because it seems to be a kodomo (although I didn't see much moe, but everyone points to what I said)

-Dreamer- said:
Also, I didn't know "Redo of Healer" and other extreme ecchi anime are for kids Lol
Most of those who have seen kaifuku must be teenagers, who are basically children.

Leoradiuju2004 said:

-Dreamer- said:

I never had generalized it. That's why I said, "Let people enjoy anime regardless of age." Anyone can watch anime. Yes, I know most anime have a "targeted demographic", but you don't have to follow it. I'm not sure why you think I don't know this stuff? Even I watch cute moe stuff even though I'm an adult. You're free to watch anything, don't let others stop you.
Loli hentai is hot.
Aug 5, 2021 10:15 PM

Dec 2020
I think sometimes there are things in your life that you love doing it no matter what your

age is

If people will stop doing things like that then they will probably be less happy and cheerful

And if anime is something like that for them then I don't think they should stop watching it
Aug 6, 2021 12:05 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
that's kind of like saying "movies are for kids"

NYANPASU
5700XT

Aug 6, 2021 12:08 AM

Aug 2018
anime is obviously for grown ass men and grandmas
Aug 6, 2021 12:11 AM

Oct 2020
Lots of people hold these views , so it's hard to recommend anime to people who aren't into it
Aug 6, 2021 12:15 AM

Jul 2020
Yeah I guess it’s true that the audience are mostly minors, but equally as much anime are pretty damn mature.
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

Is it normal

to have that many crushes?.

┕━━━━»•» 🍌 «•«━━━━┙
Aug 6, 2021 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Quite a large proportion of anime seems to be targeted towards teens like typical shounen stuff (AoT, my hero etc), so people will assume that its for kids, but they don't look any deeper than that. They don't realize that anime is more than just action, superpowers, magical girls, mechs and gore. Stuff like Ghost in the Shell, Kino's Journey, Yoshitoshi Abe's stuff, or Steins;Gate even barely comes to mind when they say that. I don't blame them either. So "anime is for kids" is kinda true haha.
removed-userAug 6, 2021 10:48 AM
Aug 6, 2021 12:20 PM

May 2020
Whenever someone says that anime is for kids or weirdos I immediately think "Ah yes, because I love Serial Experiments Lain that makes me a man child who is a naruto runner"
I said with a posed look
Aug 6, 2021 3:10 PM
Jul 2021
Oh, my God, I hate that phrase so much. Because all my friends and people around me are saying “What, really? Are you watching anime?! Anime is for kids.” Unfortunately, I feel sad for them because they didn't get the chance to discover the awesomeness of the anime. Personally, the anime changed my life radically. It taught me many lessons and touched on topics and situations that happened to me in reality. So I felt all the feelings and messages conveyed by the anime. It changed my view on many points. Anime made me correct my mistakes and reconsider many things around me
If anime is really for kids, then I want to be a kid forever to watch anime
Aug 6, 2021 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
Most of it is for kids yeah. And the arbitrary target demographics used for mangas doesn't change that.
Aug 6, 2021 3:28 PM

Mar 2016
It's not controversial. Anime is made primarily for young people. Even the 'violent anime where people die and shit look mom!' is for kids.
Aug 6, 2021 5:12 PM
Aug 2013
Baleful-Midnight said:
It definitely was made for kids' entertainment in the first place, it's just that once anime got exposed to the western side and gained new popularity is when they started creating different types of anime for different age groups to cater to, for more coverage. And usually those kids who enjoyed anime in the first place grew up to be adults, still enjoy anime.

I don't know if I agree with that since one of the oldest genres in anime which you don't see much anymore is ultraviolence which was popular in 70's, 80's and even 90's....look at devilman from the 70's it wasn't for kids
~AnimeDownUnder~

Aug 6, 2021 5:35 PM

Sep 2009
That statement is synonymous with cartoon is for kids where people would associate afternoon cartoons with children who had just gotten home from school. Most of the program block would consist of educational and targeted shows aimed at very young children.

That sentiment hopped over to Anime because that's also an industry that targets a young audience and it's all animated shows. There is truth to the stereotype in that most shows do target a certain demographic of children but the stark difference is Anime can freely extent itself past that demographic because of how Japan and Anime came about post WWII era. Animation is just viewed differently in the West and only has begun openly experimenting with more adult centered shows as of late. Anime has been full blown doing absolutely everything since like forever.

Besides, the only people who say that are people who don't watch animation of any kind so who gives a fuck what they think?
Aug 6, 2021 5:36 PM

Sep 2020
I'm not a kid and I love anime. I'm pretty sure the original creators of anime were more interested in creating something than concerning themselves with who it was for. Anime is art and defiinitely for anyone who wants to see it.
nerdgirl42Aug 6, 2021 5:40 PM
Aug 6, 2021 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
Kylinity said:
your forum avatar is creepy as fuck.
wahah i'm so glad I'm not the only who felt like that./lh

lh = lighthearted
Aug 6, 2021 8:43 PM

Oct 2014
In terms of hours watched I'd even reason that anime is primarily intended for children, as in the total audience hours of anime is heavily skewed towards people 12 or younger.

In terms of title count, though, most anime are made for teenagers and young adults, but even though there are fare more of these anime, they're a lot shorter and don't get watched by as many people (although they are more popular in the West than kids anime, Westerners aren't the target audience of anime in the first place so in terms of who it's made for we should be ignored).
Aug 6, 2021 10:12 PM
Mar 2020
AnimeDownUnder said:
Baleful-Midnight said:
It definitely was made for kids' entertainment in the first place, it's just that once anime got exposed to the western side and gained new popularity is when they started creating different types of anime for different age groups to cater to, for more coverage. And usually those kids who enjoyed anime in the first place grew up to be adults, still enjoy anime.

I don't know if I agree with that since one of the oldest genres in anime which you don't see much anymore is ultraviolence which was popular in 70's, 80's and even 90's....look at devilman from the 70's it wasn't for kids

Animations such as Astroboy, Kimba, and japanese folk tales which were dated back in the 1960's definitely looks catered to young audiences, and also helped served as a vehicle for exposure of japan animation to the western side.
Aug 6, 2021 11:13 PM
Nov 2020
who ever says that deserves the death sentence . if anime is for kids then it's fair enough to say that horror movies are for people with weak heart
recklessmk_7000Aug 6, 2021 11:19 PM
Aug 6, 2021 11:51 PM
Aug 2018
Anime is for everyone.
Thats true, some anime are for kids like comedy anime, kodomo and more, but it doesnt care if you are an adult, you can still enjoy those shows. But dont forget adult animation too.
Just watch every anime you want and enjoy it.
Aug 7, 2021 12:00 AM

Mar 2021
I legit started watching anime properly when i turned 18 lmao
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» What anime studio has the best track record for consistent bangers?

Reshiram_IX - 6 hours ago

21 by SignsOfSuicide »»
2 minutes ago

» Changes Over Time In The Way You Use MAL Ratings

Quadruple_Oi - 7 hours ago

13 by Quadruple_Oi »»
14 minutes ago

» Why is netorare so hated? ( 1 2 )

Je-suis-lui - Apr 9

64 by Jackson1333 »»
18 minutes ago

» 🌸Anime Spring 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Sep 5

156 by TitanOfPlasma »»
18 minutes ago

» Which upcoming anime are you most excited about and why?

KyanBun - Yesterday

31 by TipraTechnophile »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.