Forum Settings
Forums

What kind of Manga would you write if you wanted to write one

New
Apr 11, 2021 4:48 AM

Dec 2019
Give an example of a manga who's genre or theme you would want to write about wether its setting or the premise of the characters that could sprout from such a theme or genre whatever

I suppose one of the stories in my head would be something a sci-fi mystery

a girl in a maze-like junkyard chased by flesh creatures is looking for an android to protect her she tries to awaken some of the androids clearly broken or decayed with outstretched arms and heads sliding off their mechanical skeletons she comes across one that lays dismembered in a cracked and disgusting bathtub with oil dripping out of a tube leaking into the tub the android is separated into many pieces head from the neck the left leg is separated into the ankle and foot while the androids right arm is nowhere to be found

TheGuiltManApr 12, 2021 5:45 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 11, 2021 9:31 AM

Jul 2013
A short school life drama or slice of life or comedy because I'm not very motivated for longer complicated series and I'm too lazy to do a bunch of research for historical or fantasy setting world building
Apr 11, 2021 10:20 AM

Dec 2019
SkyFullOfStars said:
A short school life drama or slice of life or comedy because I'm not very motivated for longer complicated series and I'm too lazy to do a bunch of research for historical or fantasy setting world building

Fair enough I think grand plots can be to grandiose and time consuming

I guess something more like Barakamon would be something I'm interested in
Apr 11, 2021 10:26 AM

Aug 2013
I don't have the skills, but if I had, I would have written a grand epic space opera.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima
Apr 11, 2021 10:29 AM

Dec 2019
Coaghim said:
I don't have the skills, but if I had, I would have written a grand epic space opera.

thats cool like a legend of the galactic heroes or a star wars esque setting cool

or Terra e
Apr 11, 2021 10:35 AM

Aug 2013
A mix of LotGH and Star Wars. Less politics and more focus on a band of brothers going on an epic space adventure, kinda like Cowboy Bebop. A mix between smugglers and explorers, but written in a grand setting filled with many planets, alien races and cultures.
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

Apr 11, 2021 10:46 AM

Dec 2019
Coaghim said:
A mix of LotGH and Star Wars. Less politics and more focus on a band of brothers going on an epic space adventure, kinda like Cowboy Bebop. A mix between smugglers and explorers, but written in a grand setting filled with many planets, alien races and cultures.

that'd be cool I kinda get an image of Space Adventure Cobra although the tone might be different

Apr 11, 2021 11:04 AM

Aug 2013
@TheGuiltMan Never seen it, but damn it sure sounds nostalgic! :D Definitely going to watch it, thx!

I'm surprised there are no big space shows nowadays. Isekai is dominating the market for quiet some years now. 1 Can hope that it's time for mecha & space genre to have anime after isekai :D Mecha genre needs some love aswell (Gundam ain't it for me).

Apr 11, 2021 1:20 PM

Jan 2021
a couple won a lottery and their baby was sent to space to escape the now uninhabitable earth due to (climate change/war/alien invaders idc) eventually crash landing in a open cave system on a foreign planet (think a mix of Danmachi's Dungeon and Made in Abyss Mineshaft)

the baby matures in the cryo chamber and breaks out way too late, causing all of the materials and documentation left on the ship to be unrecognizable meaning there is a sole human adult with no concept of humanity or himself stuck on an unknown planet with an unknown enviroment, queue fantasy races, underground kingdoms + tribes, unusual weather patterns deadly sunlight

i could go on forever but you get the picture
smile B)
Apr 11, 2021 3:34 PM

Aug 2013
l0qi said:
a couple won a lottery and their baby was sent to space to escape the now uninhabitable earth due to (climate change/war/alien invaders idc) eventually crash landing in a open cave system on a foreign planet (think a mix of Danmachi's Dungeon and Made in Abyss Mineshaft)

the baby matures in the cryo chamber and breaks out way too late, causing all of the materials and documentation left on the ship to be unrecognizable meaning there is a sole human adult with no concept of humanity or himself stuck on an unknown planet with an unknown enviroment, queue fantasy races, underground kingdoms + tribes, unusual weather patterns deadly sunlight

You need to start writing right about NAOW!!

Apr 12, 2021 3:03 AM
Jun 2020
psychological thrillers, mostly
Nissan 350Z
Apr 12, 2021 5:38 PM

Dec 2019
Tall_Tapper said:
psychological thrillers, mostly

thats cool would you say something like Perfect Blue or maybe Monster
Apr 12, 2021 5:39 PM

Dec 2019
Coaghim said:
l0qi said:

You need to start writing right about NAOW!!

that'd be a pretty great premise anime I imagine something like a mix between Astra lost in Space and Space Dandy

could be a really great comedy anime considering the latter of the anime I mentioned
Apr 14, 2021 11:20 AM
Nov 2009
I would have a bunch of ideas there I think.

Like it's been a while since there was a good fantasy adventure story in a manga with some decent worldbuilding memorable characters and character growth.

"Lets go and save our country"
So likely a heroes journey in a fantasy world where some youngsters join the army to help protect their country being drawn into a war between two larger nations/empires. And you get to follow them on a drawn-out adventure as they grow and become stronger while also building relationships and dealing with losses and meeting new people. Until you reach a final climax where you either safely keep the nation from being torn apart or they find a status quo for a future spinoff with some of the main characters kids or grandchildren. Hmm or maybe ending with a cataclysm and chaos so that one can do a big-time skip where they are older and have kids and struggle as adults to secure their children's future. Like, come on I want to see some real characters with things to lose and family and stuff going out with so much to lose behind them.

"The goddess that was too kind"
Another would be a story following some goddess in a small shrine alongside some road in a fantasy world. I would take a lot of inspiration from the Taoist and Shinto beliefs/systems. And likely have a bit of a growing story that starts small with a slice of life and slowly evolves into an adventure with a focus on relationship building and romance. Where the goddess mainly is the guiding mentor to two characters slowly becoming a couple while she sidelines a middle-aged man that falls in love with her after she saves his life. But she with her own perspective and age knows it's just confused feelings bundled together with gratitude for her saving him. And to save them both heart pain keeps it back until he realizes they are better of as friends. . . ending in some kind of happy ever after where the couple marries and the man just can't move on because in fact he truly loves her but he ages and she doesn't (I love bitter sweet stuff)

Those are the two ideas I just got of the top of my mind atm.

Apr 14, 2021 12:43 PM

Feb 2020
I would love to say slice of life because it's my favourite genre (slice of life with NO ROMANCE that is) but I know I would be ASS at writing slice of life. I would probably be much better at writing action.
Apr 14, 2021 1:07 PM
Jan 2021
I'm working on an idea granted I cant draw so it's all writeing but still its something ive been working on for a while now and that is a Mecha Isekai where the hero along with 10000 others gets abducted to another world by demons and soon gets recruted by Dragoons who pilot transforming mech dragons that fight said demons after finding a hydra mech dragon.
Apr 14, 2021 7:29 PM

May 2020
The one that i have always wanted to find is a completely emotionless main character i dont care if hes weak or not i just want a complete emotionless mc through out the end so i think that will be the one
Apr 15, 2021 2:40 AM

Apr 2021
I do write stories. So, I have a lot to tell. But to become a writer means dying without food in your lifetime, in my country. So, I just pass my time by writing. Though I know I have some good plot to recon.

If I draw a manga, though I don't have the skill to draw, so, I might wanna collaborate with an artist.

The genres I wanna try are mystery, comedy as I can write this type of story most.

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

Apr 15, 2021 2:43 AM

Mar 2013
I could never write manga, as I have zero art skills, but I have given thought to light novels. I would love to write a western one (I mean cowboy kind of western). And Maybe a tokusatsu, as you don't see a lot of that lately. or maybe I'm just not finding them
Apr 15, 2021 2:44 AM

Dec 2019
Ciezul said:
I do write stories. So, I have a lot to tell. But to become a writer means dying without food in your lifetime, in my country. So, I just pass my time by writing. Though I know I have some good plot to recon.

If I draw a manga, though I don't have the skill to draw, so, I might wanna collaborate with an artist.

The genres I wanna try are mystery, comedy as I can write this type of story most.

why don't you try doing concept sketches not detailed outlines just rough draft of a scene or something from your story or try and make a storyboard their are plenty of tutorials online im sure

I also would like to do mystery I like the aspect of setting up pins and variables in a story and having a reader connect the pins as the story goes along

plus its interesting coming up with a mystery story
Apr 15, 2021 2:47 AM

Dec 2019
Trekotaku81 said:
I could never write manga, as I have zero art skills, but I have given thought to light novels. I would love to write a western one (I mean cowboy kind of western). And Maybe a tokusatsu, as you don't see a lot of that lately. or maybe I'm just not finding them

would it be something like Trigun? that'd be pretty interesting or perhaps something like

Kiba no Tabishounin: The Arms Peddler
Apr 15, 2021 2:48 AM

Dec 2020
Psychological thriller probably
Apr 15, 2021 2:50 AM

Mar 2013
TheGuiltMan said:
Trekotaku81 said:

would it be something like Trigun? that'd be pretty interesting or perhaps something like

Trigun was excellent, and something like that yes, though also something like The Magnificent 7, or just other westerns in general, or a steampunk western, I just love a good western and I don't think there are to many western anime out there.
Apr 15, 2021 2:54 AM

Dec 2019
Trekotaku81 said:
TheGuiltMan said:

Trigun was excellent, and something like that yes, though also something like The Magnificent 7, or just other westerns in general, or a steampunk western, I just love a good western and I don't think there are to many western anime out there.

preach it dude I've been dying for good western anime like Trigun although the author seems to really like the western aesthetic try out

Kekkai sensen and Gungrave

Kekkai Sensen takes place in New York City and Gungrave has a mafia setting to it both are pretty western but have some sci-fi or supernatural aspects to them like Trigun

TheGuiltManApr 15, 2021 2:59 AM
Apr 15, 2021 2:55 AM

Apr 2021
TheGuiltMan said:
Ciezul said:

why don't you try doing concept sketches not detailed outlines just rough draft of a scene or something from your story or try and make a storyboard their are plenty of tutorials online im sure

I also would like to do mystery I like the aspect of setting up pins and variables in a story and having a reader connect the pins as the story goes along

Thanks for the advice, but I am too much aware of my reality.

Comics aren’t that popular in my country and manga is quite unknown for general masses.

To become a write, which I will say I do have the talente, even if it sound arrogant. But to establish yourself as a writer is too tough.

Being only son, I don’t have the freedom to write. I have to focus more on family then my life.

Another thing is that my mother tongue isn’t english. As a result we dont have enough opportunity to do like wattpads or other online writing. Even if I do that, it will just worthless try.

To publish a book? You have to pay around 30-40k in our currency, which will be something like 350-500 usd, which I a lot for us as our gdp is like 1200 usd. So, you can see reality to become a writer is too thin with massive competition, for which I don’t have the ground field too.

As for your suggestion, I can learn drawing from scratch. But will I do it? Answer is no. I rather write than draw as I know it will be pointless. I am 25 years old, so total Career change isn’t possible.

I do have a dream to publish some day. I am doing ground work for my work for last 3/4 years... But becoming mangaka or associating with an artist isn’t quite possible from where I stand.

Thanks.

Apr 15, 2021 3:00 AM

Dec 2019
Ciezul said:
TheGuiltMan said:

Comics aren’t that popular in my country and manga is quite unknown for general masses.

To become a write, which I will say I do have the talente, even if it sound arrogant. But to establish yourself as a writer is too tough.

Being only son, I don’t have the freedom to write. I have to focus more on family then my life.

Another thing is that my mother tongue isn’t english. As a result we dont have enough opportunity to do like wattpads or other online writing. Even if I do that, it will just worthless try.

To publish a book? You have to pay around 30-40k in our currency, which will be something like 350-500 usd, which I a lot for us as our gdp is like 1200 usd. So, you can see reality to become a writer is too thin with massive competition, for which I don’t have the ground field too.

As for your suggestion, I can learn drawing from scratch. But will I do it? Answer is no. I rather write than draw as I know it will be pointless. I am 25 years old, so total Career change isn’t possible.

I do have a dream to publish some day. I am doing ground work for my work for last 3/4 years... But becoming mangaka or associating with an artist isn’t quite possible from where I stand.

Thanks.

of course sorry if I bothered you glad you still write in your pastime I wish you the best of luck friend
Apr 15, 2021 3:06 AM

Apr 2021
TheGuiltMan said:
Ciezul said:

Thanks.

of course sorry if I bothered you glad you still write in your pastime I wish you the best of luck friend

No no. It was pleasure to talk with you.

I am quite aware of rough scratch for building a story. But I can only draw inside house to divide rooms 😅

But let us do our best...

Apr 15, 2021 3:08 AM

Dec 2019
Ciezul said:
TheGuiltMan said:

No no. It was pleasure to talk with you.

I am quite aware of rough scratch for building a story. But I can only draw inside house to divide rooms 😅

But let us do our best...
yeah lets do our best man :D
Apr 15, 2021 6:29 AM

Apr 2020
A detective manga with the mc solving cases and other mysteries, I would also like to add a touch of supernatural in it
Apr 15, 2021 6:32 AM

Mar 2021
One with a lot of fanservice cause Sex sales.
Apr 15, 2021 2:42 PM

Dec 2019
Lolihunter1001 said:
One with a lot of fanservice cause Sex sales.

your not writer your a business man with a business plan what are you Hiro Mashima (I'm joking he's a good writer)
Apr 15, 2021 10:34 PM

Feb 2018
a tomboy and a femboy fall in love at a martial arts competition, what more could you need
Apr 28, 2021 8:56 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I used to think about being a cartoonist/manga-ka when I was younger, so naturally this question came up in my head a lot. I think it would be fun to make a manga that I personally would want to see more of out there or read myself. Here are some ideas of what I'd probably make:
  • I might mainly work with the magical girl genre, since it's the anime/manga genre I probably enjoy the most as it takes up a good amount of my favorites. I enjoy seeing the magical costumes and powers, and the more light-hearted series in the genre can be incredibly wholesome. Wouldn't mind dabbling in either light-hearted or "edgy" tones as I enjoy either type.
    (e.g. Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Full Moon wo Sagashite, etc.)
  • I think making a fairy-tale-esque story or some really weird spin on a famous fairy tale would be nice. Goes extremely well with the aforementioned magical girl genre, too. I'm sadly not very good at making up horror stories though, so anything I make probably won't be like the fairy tales of yore, no matter how hard I try.
    (e.g. Princess Tutu, Prétear: The New Legend of Snow White, Kobato., The Girl From the Other Side, etc.)
  • I'd like to make a cooking-themed series sometime too. I'm not the best at cooking, but I have cooked before so I think I might have some experience for this.
    (e.g. Kitchen Princess, Yumeiro Patissiere, What My Neighbor is Eating, etc.)
  • I miss the types of tearjerkers Key produced and I kinda wish people made more of their type of anime again. Maybe I could try making something like that...
    (e.g. Angel Beats!, Air, Kanon (2006), etc.)

I would also like to try my hand at joining the crazy isekai trend, but with more of an emphasis on any amount of these aforementioned elements in it (most likely the fairy tale theming though) instead of video game stats and stuff.
It's strange that I enjoy many RPGs and even liked an older-styled isekai like Magic Knight Rayearth, yet I'm not really interested in most of the video-game themed isekai that's plaguing all over the industry at the moment. Even the shoujo demographic is filled with these types of isekai, though they're usually more about otome games (which I don't play at all). I guess I'm just the oddball around here.

I would probably publish work in a shoujo magazine like Nakayoshi or Ribon, since most of what I read is shoujo and I genuinely like most shoujo art styles.

I will most likely make very short series... the longest I could see myself writing up to is like 7 volumes or something.
Apr 29, 2021 1:06 AM

May 2020
A series that's set in the very, very distant future, a future where humanity has uploaded itself onto a highly advanced computer built near a black hole. Inside said computer, humans live in a variety of different universes (I say universes but genres would be more accurate. Some live in a high fantasy world, some live in a sci-fi world, some live in regular boring world).

The main conflict of the series comes because the world no longer functions as it used to. At some point after the simulated reality was started up, certain humans figured out how to gain more control over the system, leading them to basically control all of humanity like a god. Some of them get defeated by other gods, others maintain their power and a precarious balance is maintained until a new generation of gods try to take over.
Apr 29, 2021 1:47 AM

Sep 2019
I would write about the life of the truck driver that isekais people
Apr 29, 2021 3:53 AM

Jul 2020
about a man who's different in other people struggling to live
Apr 29, 2021 4:52 AM

Feb 2021
an adventure mistery focused on the chracters, i would focus on the characters while doing worldbuilding and unraveling the mistery, iì'd also put time travel and gneocide inside of ti because why not
Apr 29, 2021 4:54 AM

Feb 2021
I've been waiting for a thread like this!

a manga that starts off happy and gets dark. I live for series that do this, especially when they do it in very clever ways.
Apr 29, 2021 4:56 AM
Apr 2021
i just started watching anime, i just knew that manga is comics, but black and white
Apr 29, 2021 10:30 AM
Apr 2020
I think I would write a historical manga about the Japanese Edo period or a fantasy done to an extreme type of story.
Apr 29, 2021 10:38 AM

Jan 2020
A nice slice of life of a highschool with kids with superpowers. Think of it as a slice of life version of my hero academia with few fight scenes and more expanded worldbuilding
Apr 29, 2021 11:25 AM

Aug 2020
One with a war kind of setting. Maybe a shounen one as well but the first option is more appealing to me.

(Does one with fanservice count?)

Apr 30, 2021 9:49 AM

Jun 2019
I've been working on a long fantasy story for a while which would still be my #1, but I've been reading short stories by Thomas Ligotti for the past while and it really makes me wanna write some sort of a series that would be in-between cosmic horror and psychological thriller. Would probably have to break the golden rule of weird fiction to make it work - I'd have to explain SOMETHING - but I think that'd be a fun place for a story to be. Only question is what that would look like - I had one idea that I was fairly enamoured with that would deal with an alternate universe inside of a dream that can rewrite history, but messing around with time is suuuuper hard to write consistently, so I think I might have to rework it.

God I wish I could draw lol. That'd make things a whole lot easier.
Apr 30, 2021 11:49 AM

Apr 2021
I would definitely make a manga about competitive gaming. It would be fun to draw all the different scenes in video games.
Apr 30, 2021 1:43 PM
Kii_Ibarra

Dec 2020
I'd definitely write something about youkai since those tend to be my favorite kinds of manga. Plus I've written Touhou fanfiction all unpublished so I'm experienced with writing/researching youkai to use in my theoretical manga.
My greatest contribution to this website:
Apr 30, 2021 10:03 PM
Dec 2017
neo noir and crime since theres certainly a demand but too overshadowed by the jrpg neetaku isekai market these days.

Apr 30, 2021 10:14 PM
Jul 2018
I'd probably write a simple slice of life series.
May 1, 2021 12:56 AM

Jan 2021
I'd love to turn any dnd campaign I've run into a manga honestly.
May 1, 2021 1:55 AM
Apr 2020
Yes, I know it but maybe something a little bit different let's say the story of a kid that lived in that era and looked up to all the big people back then like Musashi, Kyojiro, etc. I like this idea because I can draw a character not based on history like in Vagabond when you already know how the events will turn. I would like to draw a manga about failure, sorrow and see the character eventually giving up on his dreams and letting them pass because I think there are too many 0 to hero type of manga whereas in reality sometimes you just can't succeed no matter how hard you try.

Tony_Tortellini said:
I think I would write a historical manga about the Japanese Edo period or a fantasy done to an extreme type of story.

I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with manga set in Japanese Edo, but they're kind of overabundant. [/quote]
May 2, 2021 8:19 PM

Dec 2020
I will write manga with dark drama genre, psychology and put it in Seinen magazine, and I will only make it into a small series maybe it will be 5 volumes ?.

I've always wanted to make manga with the psychological genre and about the hardships of life,for example,like Oyasumipunpun and Shounen no Abyss,that kind of thing.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1096 by inori_chi »»
7 hours ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga? ( 1 2 )

Nyron - Feb 7

62 by annajimnenez »»
Yesterday, 12:13 AM

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

5945 by AverageRiceFan »»
Jun 9, 2:59 PM

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

178 by barbiesata »»
Jun 9, 10:31 AM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

35 by Kruszer »»
Jun 9, 12:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.