Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Carole & Tuesday
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 2, 2019 5:36 AM

Oct 2017
This episode was decent.Also the political part is seriously a bit annoying thou im sure this has significance because of the way thngs r going.
Aug 2, 2019 8:02 AM

May 2012
1/5

This not an anime anymore, but political propaganda

They make it sound like if you don't want immigrant or freeloaders/refugee in your country then you must be an evil person.
Aug 2, 2019 8:15 AM

Feb 2011
Desmond's song where so beautiful.
Miserere mei, deus & All I See. For sure some of my favorite songs besides of all songs Carole and Tuesday made together.
Aug 2, 2019 8:46 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Desmond voiced by Yamadera Kouichi felt like Utsuro saying his final words to Gintoki and Takasugi, but tbh I liked it, it's very soothing to hear.
Aug 2, 2019 9:36 AM

Sep 2010
Desmond was sure an interesting one

poor Spencer has it rough; he's a nice guy and a good brother, but is getting sucked up in his mother's politics - really don't like Valerie
Aug 2, 2019 9:53 AM

Apr 2011
If there were a spinoff series about Roddy I'd watch them
There's almost no information about him, how does he spend so much time hanging out with them, didn't he like work or something?
Aug 2, 2019 10:01 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
Great episode, Desmond's voice, his words and his death have me intrigued. R.i.p eccentric fellow.

I'm just annoyed slightly annoyed by the blatant political parallels.

By politics? Just don’t say that Watanabe got to this in an attempt to please a western audience.
Aug 2, 2019 10:10 AM
Jul 2019
Well this episode was okay. The looking at the earth scene kinda shook me.The poltic thing i hope its gonna make sense because its kinda bothering me like what does have to do with anything really.Desmond i don't know but i think he liked Tuesday's father because this anime is kinda predictable. But i might be wrong. Though hope next episode they not gonna just move on and forget about meeting desmong. Like they kinda ALWAYS do. Like when crystal sang that song then the next episode. They legit forgot about the experience they had.
Aug 2, 2019 12:56 PM

Sep 2010
-michira- said:
There's almost no information about him, how does he spend so much time hanging out with them, didn't he like work or something?

I'm in for that! Roddy is the most precious thing in the whole anime!
Aug 2, 2019 1:25 PM

Oct 2008
A true sad tragic episode for Desmond...
i hope this experience will make the 2 girls more mature and and understand a true nature of the love of singing...
5/5.

Aug 2, 2019 2:32 PM

Apr 2009
I like the show, really, but it seems that they have lost the direction. This episode feels pointless, what that Desmond says is not really groundbreaking and feels a bit forced to make the show appear deeper. And the whole political side story also doesn't fit quite well, especially, since we still know little to nothing about Mars and that timeline. I wish they would expand more on the characters and explain the world building more than introducing some random characters and storylines...
The only part I like was the part about the dad and his backstory.

KuroYume-96 said:
-michira- said:

I'm in for that! Roddy is the most precious thing in the whole anime!

Count me in as well!
shiroi-ookamiAug 2, 2019 2:55 PM
Aug 2, 2019 3:48 PM
Apr 2019
papsoshea said:
What other legendary people they are going to show next - that just pop up for one episode?

Mind you, Skip has returned with his band to help compose Army of Two with Toby. I hope the previously appeared singers will also return, like Krystal as Carole & Tuesday mentioned in this episode.
Aug 2, 2019 3:57 PM
Apr 2019
@papsoshea How would you depict the plots and characters developments of the show as a whole, and thus make it relatable, in your opinion?
Aug 2, 2019 5:31 PM

Apr 2014
Mich666 said:
ShiningLion said:
I don't understand what connection can be made to Tuesday's dad. Desmond was talking about a young guy he was once in love with who died young. Tuesday's dad is supposedly living on Earth somewhere. I think her mom or brother would have told her if he was dead, and it seems a little messed up to imagine Desmond is eternally in love with someone who went on to marry and have kids with someone else, so I have no idea how you made this connection.

This scene on pic below was clear flag to me. The fact that Tuesday remembers the album which belonged to her father (which was Desmond coincidently) can either mean the Desmond is her father and then this would be his mother's memento hidden from Tuesday's eyes or that her father and him actually knew other in the past, and that Desmond was possibly the reason why he left them. Her mother hatred of the Earth needs to have some origin too and it's most likely tied to her husband too. Also he was talking about things that happened roughly 20 years ago and Carole and Tuesday are 17 years old, that's no coincindence here and they certainly wouldn't introduce such weird story if it was for nothing.

Dude I think he was just a fan of Desmond's music. I don't think it's that deep.

I also disagree that Desmond was just "another guy". It seemed to me that he planted a seed in C&T to think about what they want to express in their music. That's not nothing, that's food for thought for them.

Not sure about the political drama in the background but I'm interested to see what it does with it.
Aug 2, 2019 6:13 PM

Sep 2017
This show loves making it's musicians eccentric. Definitely a more philosophical episode. but it was nice. The political stuff is really heating up as well, but I wonder how it will all tie together. I mean sure we have "oh no MC's evil mom is president" but will the connect it to the music somehow. Clearly the refugee thing is going to relate very directly to Carole. Maybe some kinda plot point about her dad not being able to come back.
Aug 2, 2019 6:28 PM

Dec 2018
I really like Desmond as a character. He's cool, and his songs were wonderful. The election side story is starting to be pretty annoying, I get that we need to learn more about Tuesday's family to fully develop her character, but I feel like the show is switching back to that subplot a tad bit too much. Also, did anyone else notice that the title of the episode is ''God Only Knows'', and the record on the transitioning screen had ''The Beach Boys'' printed onto it? It was a reference to a Beach Boys song :D. I thought that was really cool...
Aug 2, 2019 8:22 PM
Jul 2015
DO CAROLE & TUESDAY HAVE A TIK TOK ACCOUNT
Aug 2, 2019 9:41 PM
May 2014
chipi1016 said:
Old_School_Akira said:

Cowboy bebop does it all the time.

I guess I didn't mind it there because it felt right for a bunch of space cowboys to have adventures. Cowboy Bebop story line was more retrospective so it was fine to wait to have backstory and the associated change when it felt relevant. Carol & Tuesday, however, is a forward leaning plot about these 2 girls having their moment in the spotlight (as the intro constantly reminds us) so it feels wrong to stall that forward momentum with what feels like filler.

there have been a lot of episodes in this show that aren't linear either. We had like 5 episodes that are just about C&T doing random things to try to gain popularity. The only time this show has been linear really was the talent show.
Aug 2, 2019 10:55 PM

Mar 2012
Mich666 said:
Man, they are really pushing their politics way too hard. Never thought I would see any anime mirror our modern world problems so blatantly.

Anyway, didn't really liked this episode much, whole plot about Desmond felt like mindfuck for the sole purpose to make this episode look deep and even though I kinda liked his intro song (well, he was probably modelled after David Bowie), the rest of the episode felt really slow and boring thanks to its ephermal sleep-inducing atmosphere.

In the end, he just felt another random guy with little no impact to overall story and even if they guy he was talking about was Tuesday's dad, the plot of both girls still moved exactly nowhere (apart from the politics which seems like the main topic of the show right now in the second cour rather than Carole and Tuesday's journey.

Also, the fact about embryo he was talking about is not true and the radiation mentioned is just an excuse for way to many effeminate characters around. And it's not consistent - how come some people are affected and some not? This is just another example how everyting bends just for the sake of the story in this series.

inb4 - they really leave the Mars and head towards the Earth in the end, which will tie into real life concerts of both singers.

I know I might be poking the bear by saying this and I wouldn’t be shocked if I’m on the end of some SJW screeching, but I agree with you.

The fact of the matter is, Desmond’s sexual identity played ZERO bearing on the plot to this anime, so it makes me wonder why the creators implemented it unless they were trying to make some sort of cultural statement (considering the political angle they are going with regarding Valerie, I wouldn’t be surprised).

I’m not necessarily against them putting a transgender person in the anime...my big beef with it is why make it a focal point, especially considering that it really didn’t have much of a bearing on anything? For me, it felt like a detractor because the time they wasted trying to explain it, they could have done literally anything else to advance the plot.

I probably didn’t dislike this episode as much as you did, but I would say that this was probably one of my least favorite episodes so far...just because it felt the plot didn’t progress. There were some things about this episode I did like. Desmond’s insert songs were beautiful and I did find his story sad, but I could have lived without the political statements this episode was trying to make.
Aug 3, 2019 2:07 AM

Sep 2010
TheUnknownKnown said:
papsoshea said:
What other legendary people they are going to show next - that just pop up for one episode?

Mind you, Skip has returned with his band to help compose Army of Two with Toby. I hope the previously appeared singers will also return, like Krystal as Carole & Tuesday mentioned in this episode.

Think she will, since she's a huge inspiration source for both Carole and Tuesday
Aug 3, 2019 3:48 AM

Feb 2007
Mars sure has moved closer to Earth if it can be seen this well...

Tuesday's brother is trying to convince Trumpmom that Bannon is a bad influence for both her and the planet, but to no avail.

Even robots are trolling poor Gus... :D

Desmond turned out to be androgynous indeed. Guessed so after seeing his similar looks to Angela's mom, and looks like I was right.
Aug 3, 2019 5:57 AM

Apr 2011
Don't really get that "Mars affects some people and changes their gender" thing. Does it affect males only? Can people born on mars turn androgynous or it's earth people only? Needs a lot of explanation.

I just hope it won't affect the main duo, that would be just overkill imho.
Aug 3, 2019 6:36 AM

Feb 2007
-michira- said:
Does it affect males only?

Probably both, Angela's mom seems to have been originally female, based on her name.
Aug 3, 2019 7:02 AM

Apr 2011
luinthoron said:
-michira- said:
Does it affect males only?

Probably both, Angela's mom seems to have been originally female, based on her name.

wait so she turned male and then again female? I guess I missed something. wasn't there a picture where Angela's mom was her dad or something?
-michira-Aug 3, 2019 7:29 AM
Aug 3, 2019 7:13 AM

Feb 2017
Bobby2Hands said:
IAintAllBad said:
Also, u can't see the earth from mars like that, it should be an infinitesimal dot

Not exactly an "infinitesimal dot", I have seen Mars from Earth and it just looks like a large star.
Looking at Earth from Mars it would appear to be a very large star but you still wouldn't be able to make out the water and land like we see in C&T

The difference being you see mars at night and it's also bright red, don't think how mars looks to us from here but think it as venus but darker(dark oceans instead of golden clouds) and farther away.
Aug 3, 2019 8:51 AM

Jun 2013
Desmond reminds me of Prince for some reason. A white Prince.

I wasn't expecting him to just die on them. His AI is his personal doctor, photographer, assistant and everything. I want an AI like that.

Damn, I can't imagine having Trump as your mother. Poor Tuesday.
臭い-
Aug 3, 2019 10:43 AM
Sep 2017
VKDOOM said:

there have been a lot of episodes in this show that aren't linear either. We had like 5 episodes that are just about C&T doing random things to try to gain popularity. The only time this show has been linear really was the talent show.

I never said linear. Doing random things to gain popularity is still something that pushes the narrative of them becoming legends in the end: They tried several means to get noticed by the general public that didn't work therefore they went on Mar's Brightest. If you can tell me how visiting some random dude that dies is moving that story forward (even incrementally) I might change my mind... actually no, it was still a boring episode lol.
Aug 3, 2019 4:20 PM
Jul 2019
Graett😍😍😍
Aug 3, 2019 10:23 PM

Dec 2014
welll to think he will die like that...... the episodes are so unique one after the other
Aug 3, 2019 10:23 PM

Dec 2014
welll to think he will die like that...... the episodes are so unique one after the other
Aug 4, 2019 2:48 AM

Aug 2012
WAIT.... Did anyone else notice the name of the currency they used?! "Woolongs"
Aug 4, 2019 5:45 AM

Apr 2011
StormofBladeZ said:
WAIT.... Did anyone else notice the name of the currency they used?! "Woolongs"

Same as in Cowboy Bebop you mean
Aug 4, 2019 4:44 PM

Mar 2019
ShiningLion said:

The music of this episode was just stunning. Can't wait to hear the full versions. This episode was really thoughtful and inspiring, but like others I am pretty nervous where this political plotline is going. It's way too on-the-nose with what is going on in a lot of developed nations currently (though the US seems to be the one being caricatured with the Clinton/Trump hybrid). I really hope this show continues to mostly stay about music and what the girls' journey means, not get too deeply invested in politics that will not age well.

We'll see, I guess.

Also, apparently Desmond didn't die, but went into a coma. I wonder why? That's so strange. Is his sickness linked to the radiation that causes androgyny I wonder?

Why do you think will not age well?

That political issue in particular has the potential to be ageless, we'll always have immigrantion disputes. This will always been something as long as territorial wars aren't valid anymore.

And Mars seems totally settled in the show, so territorial disputes are now out of question there, and this pushes the struggle to immigration and market arenas.
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Aug 4, 2019 7:24 PM

Aug 2013
Luxeraph said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Not exactly an "infinitesimal dot", I have seen Mars from Earth and it just looks like a large star.
Looking at Earth from Mars it would appear to be a very large star but you still wouldn't be able to make out the water and land like we see in C&T

The difference being you see mars at night and it's also bright red, don't think how mars looks to us from here but think it as venus but darker(dark oceans instead of golden clouds) and farther away.

Earth from Mars would be a bit dimmer that Venus from Earth. However, the main difference is that the Earth's Moon is so large (compared to other moons) that it would also be visible to the naked eye from Mars, so you could spend you Martian nights watching the little white dot slowly make its way around the bright blue one.
Aug 5, 2019 7:22 AM
May 2014
chipi1016 said:
VKDOOM said:

I never said linear. Doing random things to gain popularity is still something that pushes the narrative of them becoming legends in the end: They tried several means to get noticed by the general public that didn't work therefore they went on Mar's Brightest. If you can tell me how visiting some random dude that dies is moving that story forward (even incrementally) I might change my mind... actually no, it was still a boring episode lol.

Well visiting the musician is what makes them think about the brand of music they are delivering as well as get perspective on just how important the honesty behind their music is. So far they’ve just been two girls making music in the hopes it blows up, but they never have really thought about the significance behind their music. This episode moves it forward in that regard.
Aug 5, 2019 12:56 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I'm starting to find this whole political plot kinda annoying I mean, I couldn't care less for politics in an anime about music but whatever.

Anyways, nice episode overall. Desmond's character sure left quite an impact in both C&T so I hope from now on, they can keep his words in mind every time they do their art. I myself found him rather interesting but some part of me still thinks a character like him should have been presented way earlier in the series so that, his POV about music and posterior "death" would have been more impactful for the viewer. That's just my mere opinion tho.
Aug 12, 2019 9:47 AM

Oct 2013
Fuck, this episode was bizarrely enigmatic and really damn good -- maybe my favorite episode yet. I don't have any interest in "representation" but the way Desmond was written into show and this episode is fantastic.

His ethereal music stands out in the mire of stock pop that makes up most the rest of the soundtrack, and his lyrics provokingly off-kilter and emotionally resonant for what may be a first in this series. And most importantly, his character arc is hauntingly bittersweet and I'm a bloody sucker for this sort of thing. I hope you're reunited with the one you cherish. :'(

Desmond's music was really, really good and I'd love a full album of his stuff. If anyone knows anything similar IRL, hit me up.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 12, 2019 5:52 PM

Nov 2018
Desmond being gay was nice. Wonder how the hormones changing on Mars have an impact on other people, or is it to different extents depending on the person.
Aug 15, 2019 7:04 PM
Jan 2012
transphinx said:

That political issue in particular has the potential to be ageless, we'll always have immigrantion disputes. This will always been something as long as territorial wars aren't valid anymore.

I think it won't age well because so far all they've done is shown the issue rather bluntly and without nuance, and clearly very much mimicking Trump rhetoric (with a dash of H.R. Clinton). As far as this show's political plotline, it's just another in a big long list of Trump hysteria pieces that the entire Western media (and some Eastern) have been churning out for the past 3 years. There will always be issues of immigration, but the circumstances surrounding them will always be different, and this show has not even had the bravery to try to exemplify what those factors might be and why the issue has become politicized. We know next to nothing about the relationship between Earth and Mars, how they got here, and what factors might cause continual immigration to become unwanted by Mars residents.

If all we have to look back on in this show (and so much other media like it) is more "orange man bad" or "resisting immigration bad" then how is that going to age well? It doesn't convince anyone who actually isn't for unchecked immigration that they should be for it. It's preaching to the choir. Show us WHY people support anti-immigration positions. Show us WHY they shouldn't. If you're going to make a message, have something to say about it. Just showing the issue does nothing to change minds or put a work of art/literature up in the annals of history as truly memorable, universal, and one that "ages well".

The other option is to not so literally mimic a real current event and make one that can be compared by means of allegory or metaphor. This is why films like the original Star Wars trilogy and its prequels are so beloved, because while they carry political undertones and George Lucas has personally compared them to certain actual historical events and figures, they aren't caricatures that make it glaringly obvious which people and events they're modeled after. They're universal enough to be applied to many situations, time and time again. If the Emperor or Darth Vader had a tiny mustache and zieg heiled constantly I don't think Star Wars would've aged well. It would feel about a specific event and not universal. Lucas has said that the prequels are a reflection of the W. Bush administration (and how they used public fear of WMDs to start the war with Iraq/Afghanistan), but you can't tell that just by watching them, as it's done in a more universal way that can apply to many situations including that one.

I can't stand the current media obsession with Trump. In every exploration of every social issue for the past few years the media has to mention Trump and try to tie it to him and act as if without him the problem wouldn't exist. It's an absurdly stupid and oversimplified view and so far Carole & Tuesday has done nothing to deviate from that formula. They have 6 episodes (as of my writing this) to actually make a point about this issue and I hope for everyone's sake they do not waste them on some generic bleeding heart narrative that completely ignores the structural and societal characteristics that lead to immigration conflict. I hope they don't treat it as if it's just an instantly resolvable problem that can be solved with people changing their attitudes or their votes about it. It's not that easy. Communities affected (including the immigrants, and communities they immigrate to) have ongoing hardship that doesn't disappear just because we pretend we're all cool with it, vote for candidates who are cool with it, and expect the government to "take care of it".

On the other hand I would really like them to not go so deep into this political issue that they drop the focus on the music and artistry that the main story is meant to be about. As it stands, the political plot-line feels injected for woke brownie points and it feels grafted onto the plot rather than relevant to the plot. Wouldn't it be great if it actually did something to make people think, in ways we haven't before, about the issue? If it does, I'll be happy. If it doesn't, and it's just more Trump fear propaganda, then I'll be truly disappointed. They've focused the issue and attention on the politicians instead of on the immigrants (again, we know nothing about them, other than that Carole was one as a child), which is a bad approach to get people to care more about the issue. We already know politicians are rats and will support any issue if it gets them elected. Even many of Trump's supporters question whether he actually believes in the values he peddles or whether they are just political tools to keep him in office. I don't think the plotline about Valerie using this issue as a political tool is telling us anything we don't already know.

I'm already having to deal with these shallow political plotlines in nearly everything out of Hollywood in the past 5 years. Anime was the last bastion of good storytelling. I don't want to see it spiral into political propaganda too. They have the potential to do something meaningful with this plot but I am seriously worried they won't.
LucentRiversAug 15, 2019 7:12 PM
Aug 16, 2019 2:16 AM

Jun 2016
Maybe it's because I took a pretty big break from this or maybe it's just the episode but I couldn't help but find it hilarious. The incredibly on the nose space trump juxtaposition of disgust versus Desmond's beauty, which came down to them singing and making everyone teary eyed instantly which got a chuckle out of me, and Desmonds seeming pretentiousness all around. The kingdom they made, the fact they were set up to be wheelchair bound, understanding the true beauty of singing, and avoiding their medication to make them the fallen sensei figure that one day the girls will understand and live up to. The talk about life not being eternal but linking up circles to live probably forever through each other and now they live through the girls. It was like, a lot to take in and the only emotion it got out of me was laughter. Desmond just came into the story to play this role like that? REALLY? I know this anime can be contrived and sometimes it plays to its strengths, but the predictability of this and the way it didn't make me feel any of the beauty it presupposed, and the amount of wisdom shoved into this character we just met to make this bombastic and probably long-lasting episode just didn't work for me.

If Valerie says "make mars great again" at any time in this series I will lose it...

It wasn't all bad by any means, in fact, as I said, I laughed a lot and enjoyed this episode, just not for the intended reasons. Desmond is a character archetype I love, I find being a mix of man and woman like they are or the Okama in One Piece like Bon Clay or Ivan powerful, and appealing. Demond just happened to come off way too strong and the emotions shown to me were nothing like what I felt, somehow the scene where Carole's father told her who he was got to me so hard I cried, but this one just laughter. I think the dad scene was built up to make me care about it with some more subtlely even if not that much, it felt much more genuine and not so heavy handed. I felt I got to know Dann and see his struggle and his love for his daughter as well as his guilt and it culminated in a heartfelt scene at the end while having more screen time than this. For this episode's strengths, there was also Gus and Roddy making that bet at the beginning which was wonderful, and overall having them fangirl over Desmond was great, and seeing Gus about to cry numerous times was much appreciated too. Plus, the AI companion of Desmond was another cool look into this world's AI and there was talk about mars radiation, an interesting concept.

Edit: To be more clear and less rambly, I think this episode would have come off far better to me if it was in manga form or in writing of some kind. I could actually digest what was happening and take my time with it. Overall everything Desmond felt heavy handed and too fast paced for someone I don't care about saying things that I don't have time to absorb and think about. Because of that the emotional effect on me was the opposite of what I think was intended.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsAug 16, 2019 2:22 AM
Aug 16, 2019 2:12 PM

Nov 2013
what a boring episode lmao

i admit Desmond looked quite "ethereal" for a bit while talking, but other than that, this episode was just... please no... lol not to mention his song... i couldn't even hear it :v
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Aug 17, 2019 6:17 PM

Jun 2015
damn desmond just invited them over to talk and then pass away (i think). seems like he's based off of prince and david bowie to me, i like the nice touch of how he loved a man too. nice representation.
i wonder how the whole hormone thing is. cause it seems to me like angela's mom was originally male, and then we have desmond who was originally male. no females we've seen to have it the other way around.
Aug 17, 2019 9:33 PM
May 2014
ShiningLion said:
transphinx said:

I think it won't age well because so far all they've done is shown the issue rather bluntly and without nuance, and clearly very much mimicking Trump rhetoric (with a dash of H.R. Clinton). As far as this show's political plotline, it's just another in a big long list of Trump hysteria pieces that the entire Western media (and some Eastern) have been churning out for the past 3 years. There will always be issues of immigration, but the circumstances surrounding them will always be different, and this show has not even had the bravery to try to exemplify what those factors might be and why the issue has become politicized. We know next to nothing about the relationship between Earth and Mars, how they got here, and what factors might cause continual immigration to become unwanted by Mars residents.

If all we have to look back on in this show (and so much other media like it) is more "orange man bad" or "resisting immigration bad" then how is that going to age well? It doesn't convince anyone who actually isn't for unchecked immigration that they should be for it. It's preaching to the choir. Show us WHY people support anti-immigration positions. Show us WHY they shouldn't. If you're going to make a message, have something to say about it. Just showing the issue does nothing to change minds or put a work of art/literature up in the annals of history as truly memorable, universal, and one that "ages well".

The other option is to not so literally mimic a real current event and make one that can be compared by means of allegory or metaphor. This is why films like the original Star Wars trilogy and its prequels are so beloved, because while they carry political undertones and George Lucas has personally compared them to certain actual historical events and figures, they aren't caricatures that make it glaringly obvious which people and events they're modeled after. They're universal enough to be applied to many situations, time and time again. If the Emperor or Darth Vader had a tiny mustache and zieg heiled constantly I don't think Star Wars would've aged well. It would feel about a specific event and not universal. Lucas has said that the prequels are a reflection of the W. Bush administration (and how they used public fear of WMDs to start the war with Iraq/Afghanistan), but you can't tell that just by watching them, as it's done in a more universal way that can apply to many situations including that one.

I can't stand the current media obsession with Trump. In every exploration of every social issue for the past few years the media has to mention Trump and try to tie it to him and act as if without him the problem wouldn't exist. It's an absurdly stupid and oversimplified view and so far Carole & Tuesday has done nothing to deviate from that formula. They have 6 episodes (as of my writing this) to actually make a point about this issue and I hope for everyone's sake they do not waste them on some generic bleeding heart narrative that completely ignores the structural and societal characteristics that lead to immigration conflict. I hope they don't treat it as if it's just an instantly resolvable problem that can be solved with people changing their attitudes or their votes about it. It's not that easy. Communities affected (including the immigrants, and communities they immigrate to) have ongoing hardship that doesn't disappear just because we pretend we're all cool with it, vote for candidates who are cool with it, and expect the government to "take care of it".

On the other hand I would really like them to not go so deep into this political issue that they drop the focus on the music and artistry that the main story is meant to be about. As it stands, the political plot-line feels injected for woke brownie points and it feels grafted onto the plot rather than relevant to the plot. Wouldn't it be great if it actually did something to make people think, in ways we haven't before, about the issue? If it does, I'll be happy. If it doesn't, and it's just more Trump fear propaganda, then I'll be truly disappointed. They've focused the issue and attention on the politicians instead of on the immigrants (again, we know nothing about them, other than that Carole was one as a child), which is a bad approach to get people to care more about the issue. We already know politicians are rats and will support any issue if it gets them elected. Even many of Trump's supporters question whether he actually believes in the values he peddles or whether they are just political tools to keep him in office. I don't think the plotline about Valerie using this issue as a political tool is telling us anything we don't already know.

I'm already having to deal with these shallow political plotlines in nearly everything out of Hollywood in the past 5 years. Anime was the last bastion of good storytelling. I don't want to see it spiral into political propaganda too. They have the potential to do something meaningful with this plot but I am seriously worried they won't.

If you wanted art to be able to explain why people should be or for immigration, then what the fuck is the point of politics? lmfao

Politics itself is preaching to the choir. You're asking for way too much. Artistically, the politics beats are well done because its a conflict set up that directly parallels the main cast of characters themselves. Carole being herself a refugee and becoming the most important person to Tuesday, who is sheltered and the daughter of her anti-immigration mother.

That is not to say the show is handling the politics beats perfectly. I wish this show spent more time fleshing out Carole and Tuesday's relationship and perhaps how Tuesday has felt about her mother's politics and how her viewpoints have shifted. But I think art is supposed to pay attention to those details when it goes political. Make the situation feel real and its characters feel like genuine people, not agendas. If you are already anti immigration, most likely a politician will not change your mind on it, so why expect a show to?
Aug 22, 2019 5:19 AM

Dec 2016
Desmond is/was a pretty interesting character, pretty fucked up how he just pretty much killed himself in front of people he'd met a couple hours ago lmao
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 23, 2019 6:44 AM

Nov 2018
Bobby2Hands said:
IAintAllBad said:
Also, u can't see the earth from mars like that, it should be an infinitesimal dot

Unless in C&T they've found a way to move Mars's orbit closer to the sun, which is probably possible to do with their level of technology in the show
MAL EMOJIS - Get your specially formatted emojis for MAL forums.

Sep 1, 2019 1:12 PM

Aug 2017
I was not ready for the short break but this episode was worth the wait. Although nothing really exciting happened, I loved the girls meeting with Desmond. It was wholesome to see that nature is such a big part of his artistic life. What a wonderful musician he is! And his music is absolutely lovely and relevant too. I wonder which artist he represents, But I am thinking about Bowie -- that would be great.
Sep 5, 2019 1:07 PM

Mar 2014
Man, what a powerful episode.
Honestly, Desmond's talk about his views on life and music were deeper than I was expecting for this show.
and his calm passing where he choose the ability to sing over his own life was a shocking yet very meaningful moment.
Might be my favorite episode of the series thus far.

eryn-chan said:
I wonder which artist he represents, But I am thinking about Bowie -- that would be great.

Bowie came to mind for me, too, as well as Prince. I think the character could have been inspired by both of them.
vigorousjammerSep 5, 2019 1:10 PM
::End of Transmission::

Sep 9, 2019 11:49 AM

Dec 2015
Desmond was an amazing character, even though he only had an episode of screen time. I feel like this meeting will elevate them to further heights, as they'll really start realizing the joy of music and what it really means. Really liked all the music in this episode: from Desmond's song to the bgm, very solid. One of my favorite episodes so far!
Sep 17, 2019 9:51 AM

Jul 2015
thepath said:
1/5

They make it sound like if you don't want immigrant or freeloaders/refugee in your country then you must be an evil person.

Not political at all. Like the other candidate said, it is just basic human decency.
I don't like bringing politics to anime discussions, but aren't you just assuming that immigrants will freeload.
Sep 17, 2019 10:57 AM

May 2012
Prezzix said:
thepath said:
1/5

Not political at all. Like the other candidate said, it is just basic human decency.
I don't like bringing politics to anime discussions, but aren't you just assuming that immigrants will freeload.

I said "....immigrant OR freeloaders/refugee....... ".

I did not say all immigrants = freeloader.

My point is that there is noting wrong with someone not wanting immigrants (not just illegals but even legals). Many countries around the world don't have immigration laws and green cards or whatever. even if you work in their countries for 50 years, you won't become a citizen. Yet if a Westerner say I don't want immigration, he would called a racist, fascists or whatever. Western countries don't have obligation to accept any immigrants or have any immigration laws. They have every right to change the law and ban immigration. Outsiders don't own them anything.

2nd point, there is noting wrong for someone supporting only legal immigrants. But not illegals, refugee or random people with unknown education level and criminal records or people who hate western way of life (like some muslims). And there is noting wrong with deporting people who break the law and come illegally.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

159 by Gorgos »»
Sep 6, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

115 by Kamirura »»
Aug 23, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2019

117 by MimiHamburger »»
Jun 30, 3:26 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2019

212 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 28, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2019

73 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 27, 8:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.