Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 25, 2019 4:34 PM
Jan 2018
I saw somebody in a comment section ,who only watched Konosuba and Overlord, assume that Re;Zero is a comedy like Konosuba, while in reality (for anyone who hasn't seen it) it's the darkest show of them all. They are kind of missing the opportunity to demonstrate the main selling point of the series but I guess that is to be expected considering this is a comedy.
May 25, 2019 8:51 PM

Aug 2016
what "selling point"???
What kind of "out of place" idea would be actually trying to force the dark tone of an anime in a crossover wich main focus is actually comedy? Do you want to make dark stuff from chibi character designs? hahhahahha i don´t get how would that would make sense for you.

I think you picked up the wrong crossover, try Kingdom hearts or Avengers next time.
MichaelJacksonMay 25, 2019 8:55 PM
:v
May 25, 2019 8:58 PM

Feb 2019
is Re:Zero really dark? I didn't really get that impression while watching the Show

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 26, 2019 1:35 PM

Apr 2012
Luna_Hazel said:
is Re:Zero really dark? I didn't really get that impression while watching the Show
Dark? Lol... no it's not.
How can something be considered 'dark' when there's nothing really at stake.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
May 27, 2019 12:15 PM

Dec 2009
Overlord is way darker lol
May 29, 2019 5:14 AM

Aug 2017
Lex4709 said:
I saw somebody in a comment section ,who only watched Konosuba and Overlord, assume that Re;Zero is a comedy like Konosuba, while in reality (for anyone who hasn't seen it) it's the darkest show of them all. They are kind of missing the opportunity to demonstrate the main selling point of the series but I guess that is to be expected considering this is a comedy.
I agree tho in this case it's not necessary bad that they aren't underlining the dark tone
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2019 5:22 AM

Mar 2010
The show itself is a screwball comedic SOL that distills down the cast to their basic personalities and traits for gags. It doesn't really matter what tone any of the original series featured had.

It's not as any of this canon anyway.
Iron_MawMay 29, 2019 5:28 AM
May 29, 2019 11:15 AM
Jan 2018
It's not downplaying anything. It's a comedy chibi series . Aka not to be taken seriously
Jun 1, 2019 1:51 PM
Sep 2018
Lex4709 said:

I agree its dark, but not as dark as Overlord.
Overlord has genocide by the tens of thousands, up to hunderds of thousands off screen, rape, abuse, torture, forced drug usage, infants and elderly being eaten alive (light novel), families being forced to cannibalize on each other to survive. Its far, far darker than Re:Zero thats a no brainer. Its up to berserk levels of dark with the latest volumes. It certainly lives up to its name.

Whats amazing is that it still manages to be funny, mostly due to the hilarity of Ainz being so oblivious while also being pretty smart. Its strange.
Jugger47Jun 1, 2019 1:57 PM
Jun 1, 2019 2:00 PM

Dec 2013
I recommend the OP to watch Carnival Phantasm. It's easily the best piece of media in Nasuverse if you exclude Fate/Zero (which was not written by Nasu and thus it is actually good!).

My point is that this series, like Carnival Phantasm, takes series with some heavy themes and turns them into a comedy show. So yeah, of course the dark elements are going to be downplayed because it's not a part of the genre. It's nothing against Re:Zero in particular, pretty much all the series get this treatment in shows like these.
Jun 2, 2019 8:35 PM

Aug 2012
Overlord is way darker with all the background stuff Demi is doing.

I'm just waiting for a spinoff of Subaru's POV where he's constantly being killed by Ainz and co, Tanya and Megumi's explosions.
Jun 4, 2019 11:37 AM

Jun 2016
This ironic questiom Ainz and Overlord characters got tone down far worse. Besides Ainz ,Cocytus,Mare and Aura All nazaricks members hatred for humanity and distain for humans are far tone down and their overprotective of Ainz is far tone down as well.

All Nazaricks members would have attempt to kill Aqua by this point if weren t for series lightheartness as she attack Ainz which suprise me that albedo and other nazarick aren t enrage at Aqua.

Albedo and shaltear the most tone down compare to everyonelse. Their disdain for humans, overprotective of ainz and how their hostility towards everyone not named nazarick members and Ainz.

Overlord got tone down far far worse than Re zero only Ainz,Aura,Mare,Cocytus and maybe demiurge(this questionable as well) stay with their characters so far
SubaruHoshinaJun 4, 2019 11:41 AM

Jun 4, 2019 1:42 PM

Jan 2017
Janethan23 said:

Subaru's mental trauma is too terrifying to watch. As for the characters, some of them do die later in the novel. Subaru couldn't reach a perfect ending even if he gave it his all (and his multiple deaths just break his spirit) so the story becomes even more sad. Therefore, this anime is way darker.

Join Emilia's self-proclaimed knights club if you are a fellow Emilia fan

Jun 4, 2019 6:41 PM
Jul 2018
The dark part of Re:Zero feels forced, and is nowhere near as dark as Overlord. Both are edgy, but Overlord at least feels genuine rather than Re:Zero egging at us with "hey look this is dark and traumatic huh, huh?"
Jun 5, 2019 12:10 AM

Oct 2011
Re:Zero might be darker than any of them but it's mainly because the world itself goes against Subaru. While here everyone is moved to a new world so there's nothing really to harm him nor do any of the characters have any reason to kill him anymore. So yeah in this comedy world he's just a funny side character like Kazuma. I doubt he'd survive getting killed here.

P.S. To those saying Overlord is darker: It the might have killing and raping but everything is downplayed and as you said yourself it's also covered up in humor. While in Re:Zero everything is gruesomely depicted and focused on so you can actually feel a chill running down your spine while reading it. And obviously in both anime things weren't so dark so don't use the anime to judge the 2 shows

Jun 5, 2019 6:06 AM

Oct 2014
Lex4709 said:
but I guess that is to be expected considering this is a comedy.

there, you answered your concern in your own
Jun 7, 2019 6:18 AM

Nov 2013
A parody anime is not serious and instead is parodying the original franchise? What?

Also, Re:Zero isn't even that dark. Out of these four, Overlord is way darker, it's just that it's told from the point of view of those causing the dark stuff.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jun 21, 2019 4:40 PM
TMNT Lover

Oct 2017
uzee said:
Re:Zero might be darker than any of them but it's mainly because the world itself goes against Subaru. While here everyone is moved to a new world so there's nothing really to harm him nor do any of the characters have any reason to kill him anymore. So yeah in this comedy world he's just a funny side character like Kazuma. I doubt he'd survive getting killed here.

P.S. To those saying Overlord is darker: It the might have killing and raping but everything is downplayed and as you said yourself it's also covered up in humor. While in Re:Zero everything is gruesomely depicted and focused on so you can actually feel a chill running down your spine while reading it. And obviously in both anime things weren't so dark so don't use the anime to judge the 2 shows

My feelings exactly. Just because there's bad things occurring in a show doesn't necessarily justify it as dark. After all, technically Naruto has all the same things that Overlord does, but it also hides the edginess factor by it's constant jokes and light-heartedness.

And while it's true that Subaru can rectify his situation by dying and coming back, each time he does the problems he faces begin to increase, and soon enough the solutions he thinks he's finding are swept aside by new factors. It's a tale of constant desperation and struggle, with the protagonist uncertain of how many times he will go through pain in order to save those he loves, and whether a happy ending is even attainable in the first place. So I think a story that delves more deeply into the human psyche of fear and panic is slightly more traumatic than one where the protagonist is an overpowered skeleton with no fear of death.
Jun 22, 2019 9:37 AM
May 2017
to those that thinks that Subaru's Return by Death will always allow him to fix any mistakes he makes, i have this to say:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

More topics from this board

Poll: » Isekai Quartet Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2019

162 by Kiruko-san »»
Dec 5, 2023 7:29 PM

Poll: » Isekai Quartet Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2019

80 by Kiruko-san »»
Dec 5, 2023 7:28 PM

Poll: » Isekai Quartet Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2019

127 by Kiruko-san »»
Dec 5, 2023 7:25 PM

Poll: » Isekai Quartet Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2019

109 by Kiruko-san »»
Dec 5, 2023 7:24 PM

Poll: » Isekai Quartet Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2019

76 by Kiruko-san »»
Dec 5, 2023 7:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.