Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 3, 2019 9:55 AM

Oct 2017
For the people who have watched their fair share of anime and use only the Top-half of your rankings in almost every anime (80% 6+). I've got a few questions that I'll also answer.

1) What's the reason you only use the top half of your ratings?
2) What's the basis you use to only rank animes with a grade over 6?
3) Do you have any outliers with a note below 6? Which ones?
4) How easy do you give the 10s?
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.
Jan 3, 2019 10:10 AM

Aug 2015
1) Because I like most of anime I've seen, or at least found it satisfactory
2) Enjoyment
3) Of course, about 10% of my list, mostly shows I dropped and movies I didn't liked
4) Not easy - 17/617
Jan 3, 2019 10:15 AM

Apr 2017
I don't use only the top half but I agree that that is the dominant part... Is just that I find most anime I watch to be at least fine (6).
I have Pupa with a 1.
I give a 10 when the story, animation, characters and motifs of the story are gorgeous and strongly impress me.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jan 3, 2019 10:19 AM

May 2012
I tend to research anime before I start a new series, which means it's probably a premise that interests me and is well rated by others. For that reason, it's rare for me to run into an anime that I genuinely dislike, and would warrant a rating lower than 6. I do give out 9's scarcely, though, and only one anime has gotten a 10 from me.
Jan 3, 2019 10:23 AM

Sep 2016
1. Because I usually drop series under 6. If I'm not liking it, is useless to watch it to the end, just a waste of time.

2. First, I have to like the script, specially dialogue and use of the narrative as a progression tool (in the case it's not a slice of life, where there is not story progression) and characterization of the characters. Then direction, and then enjoyment.

3. 82 of 470, plus 170 dropped wich means they would have been scored that way.

4. Only to shows or movies that are (on my opinion) master pieces. 15 of 470
Jan 3, 2019 10:24 AM
Jan 2012
tlato_but said:
For the people who have watched their fair share of anime and use only the Top-half of your rankings in almost every anime (80% 6+). I've got a few questions that I'll also answer.

I try not to. If I don't enjoy a show I tend to drop it so it wont go on MAL (The ones mentioned on my profile are either really old, or shows I would consider rewatching at some point)

My ratings are based on enjoyment of the show at the time of watching. I might rate Konohana Kittan a 10/10 (Rated this as its a really relaxing show to watch after a long days work)
but that doesn't mean I think its a better show than Welcome to the NHK that I rated a 9/10. (A show I rated more for the story)

If I dont enjoy watching a show, then I simply wont watch it. I'll either wait till I feel like watching it (like Rascal dreams of bunny girl, what I watch in bursts of 3 episodes, a series I rate highly but can't get in the "mood" to watch at the moment) or just drop it

39 shows, all were watched as I liked the idea but didn't really get any enjoyment out of watching them

Almost got as many 10/10 than >6/10 shows at 34

There are some shows I wouldn't rate 10/10 after a rewatch to be honest. But again, when you see shows like Konohana Kittan, Comic Girls and Ms Vampire, its obvious I rate for enjoyment and would rather people not take my scores too seriously
Nyan!
Jan 3, 2019 10:26 AM
Apr 2018
1)Kinda dumb answer but, it's because I don't stick with series I'm not enjoying. Most of my completed ones are above 6; most of my dropped are below (or with no score at all).
2)Enjoyment
3)Yes (from my completed list): NGNL (Zero too), DitF, SukaSuka, Mahoutsukai no Yome, Sailor Moon Crystal, a few Pokemon movies,
4)I only have two 10's. I don't give 10 easily.
SaiDrewJan 3, 2019 10:30 AM
Jan 3, 2019 10:31 AM

Apr 2017
I pick shows that I have a good chance that I will like because I don't want to waste my time on bad shows.I have much better things to do with it. Therefore I also drop shows fast if I don't like them, and if I drop them fast, I don't feel that I'm entitled to rate them, so I usually don't rate drops. Therefore I end up having high ratings most of the time. This doesn't mean that I do not experiment, but as I created MAL rather late, my experimental phase was over by then. I also don't add/rate drops that I drop too fast in my list, and usually if I like show in the beginning, I continue to like it.

As I said above, if show can get through pre-screening process and I don't drop it in few episodes, its likely something that I like. Thus it receives at least 5, usually 6+ because it's that good. There are exceptions when show goes wrong by the end and I don't want to drop them anymore since I got so far. Then it receives less, but it's rare.

Some shows that started out fine, but gotten very bad midway, and I didn't feel like dropping them anymore. Big Order, Mayoiga and To Love Ru are the most grave of these.

I would say that I have a fair share of them, although many of them are comprised of multi season shows where I rated multiple seasons with a 10. Otherwise I don't think I give them too easily. But since I pick shows carefully, and I'm not an completionist, I think it makes sense to watch relatively high share of masterpiece-grade shows. I don't think that masterpiece needs to be perfect as some other users do, so I give it if I think that show really deserves it enjoyment-wise, and has little faults.
MrZawaJan 3, 2019 10:39 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jan 3, 2019 10:33 AM

Aug 2018
Well, in my case my account is pretty new and I don't remember most of the shows I dropped. I also know very well what genres I like and what I don't, I usually enjoy shows that I think I'm going to enjoy.

I tend to drop mostly seasonal shows because it's when I usually try different things that I probably won't enjoy because it's pretty easy to do. I just go out of my way to check shows that I think I'm going to love.

Also, even tho I enjoy "deep shows" I don't expect all of them to be like that, so I also can enjoy trash sometimes if I want to watch some brainless show.

I almost don't give any 10, 1 of the 4 shows I have listed as a 10 is a troll score. 3 of 1264 shows is pretty low imo hahaha

How much a fair share would be? hahah
DaCraziGuyJan 3, 2019 10:38 AM
Jan 3, 2019 10:39 AM

Oct 2017
tlato_but said:

I guess there's two reasons, one is that I carefully select the animes I put to the PTW List, and the other is that I also evaluate the technical aspects of the shows, that's why Maho no Yome is a 7 rather than a 6, similarly, Aishiteruze Baby should be a 10 rather than the actual 9.
tlato_but said:

I use a basis of 6,85 to rank the animes. I always say, if I choose to watch an anime, it's because it attracted my attention.
tlato_but said:

Only 5: Charlotte (4), Trinity Seven, Märchen Mädchen, Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san and an extra from Panty & Stocking. (5)

tlato_but said:

Every fourth anime gets a 10 from me, exactly a 26,64% (65/244).
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.
Jan 3, 2019 10:47 AM

Jul 2013
I mean to use the whole 1-10 scale but I still fit in that "(80% 6+)" condition according to malgraph, anyway

1) I don't usually finish the show I hate. I don't rate dropped show, and the show must interest me in some shape or form for me to pick it up. So my score gravitates towards 6+

2) I don't only rate 6+, but my basis of rating is a mixture of production value, enjoyment, and whether or not the show succeeds on what it tries to do (though the proportion differs from show to show)

3) I don't consider them outliers.

4) 20 shows out of 601. Not really easy I guess.
Jan 3, 2019 10:50 AM

Jan 2013
1. usually pick shows to watch depending on if it look like or at least hope that i will like it
2. 7 and above is base on how much i like it, while 6 usually a “eh dont care for it”
3. unfortunately i dont drop, a good number of shows that the overall presentation (animation is a big factor) has to be so bad that i either skim through the episode every week or so infuriating that i end up doig something else
4. not very easy. only like 3%. has to be very consistent (usually making me laugh or being very wholesome) the entire way to where its memorable for me or it has to live up to ALL the hype. not even my favorite shows ever (thats not Gintama) was given 10s
Jan 3, 2019 10:53 AM

Dec 2015
I feel like I was one of the guys that gave a raiting of 6 + to every show I watched before.

But in my second year in MAL I started to watch anime more then before.
I went into genre I had never watched before, so my score began to go down.

In 1 year my mean score went down from 6,79 to 6,18.

I think if ppl started to watch more the mean score woud go down too.
Since I started to watched a hige amount of each season my score have gone down extremly much.

And if ppl are researching and picking genre they like, the chance of them watching something bad might be lower from ppl like me and some of my mal friends that are watching a hige amount of shit each season.

Jan 3, 2019 10:59 AM

May 2015

There are a lot of better things to do in life than watching anime series that I would rate below 5 so its no brainer for me to stay clear away from every anime series (or films, or books for that matter) of which, after having researched them, I think that I would not like them; or if the anime I am watching turns out to be a lot worse then I thought it would be I drop it without hesitation and often without rating it - there is no "three episodes rule" followed by me.

I gave 10/10 only to 3% of all the anime I have watched so far, so I don't give it easily.
IshitatesoJan 3, 2019 11:15 AM
Jan 3, 2019 11:36 AM

Dec 2012
tlato_but said:

I use the bottom half, but only around 19% of my list occupies the bottom half of the scale, mostly due to the fact that:

A.) If it doesn't interest me I'm just not going to even start watching it in the first place let alone rate it
B.) If I do start the show and I'm rating it below a 6 I'll just drop it because there's no point watching something I'm not enjoying.

In this way I think it's absolutely natural for the average person to use much more of the top half of the scale than the bottom half. The inevitable results would be that the only things ending up in your bottom half would be the mistakes you made, the junk you finished because it was really short, or the good series that had an unpredictable paradigm shift into bad territory.

As to your questions:

1. I use the bottom too, but the number of things that I complete in those categories is very low because I drop things and screen out the potential shows I'm not going to like beforehand by reading plot descriptions and watching trailers. So not liking something I'm about to watch is much less likely than me liking it.

2. A combination of enjoyment and the observable parts of what I think represent a quality show being present like a story, likable characters, and whether or not the animation, music, etc. was well-made.

3. Maybe Inferno Cop, because it was hilarious, but it was made to look horribly (probably intentionally) bad and cheesy.

4. Only 4% (rounding up) of my list is 10s, so not at all easily.
KruszerJan 3, 2019 11:42 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 2015
well i dont do that tho
i like when people give easy 10/10
i gave only five 10/10s from 1931 animes i ve watched

Well...

Mar 2017
@LandMaker @JustMonaka from my point of view both you guys seem like you don't like anime that much if you're willing to drop stuff that is 6 or below (which I'm assuming is just average for you guys).

Would you say that you have a very specific taste in anime, so that is the reason why you drop so many shows? Am I correct in that assumption?

I like anything as long as it is executed well, and I enjoy most anime I watch, at least enough to finish most anime. I'm not the target demographic here: my mean score is below 5, and I use 5 and 6 as a collective average, but following my assumption, I (generally) like anime more than both of you though. You can look at my rating distribution on my profile.

Wondering about both your thoughts on this. Feel free to discredit me entirely (there's no way to truly compare enjoyment after all).
Jan 3, 2019 11:52 AM

Sep 2016
N30-R3TR0 said:
@LandMaker @JustMonaka from my point of view both you guys seem like you don't like anime that much if you're willing to drop stuff that is 6 or below (which I'm assuming is just average for you guys).

Would you say that you have a very specific taste in anime, so that is the reason why you drop so many shows? Am I correct in that assumption?

I like anything as long as it is executed well, and I enjoy most anime I watch, at least enough to finish most anime. I'm not the target demographic here: my mean score is below 5, and I use 5 and 6 as a collective average, but following my assumption, I (generally) like anime more than both of you though. You can look at my rating distribution on my profile.

Wondering about both your thoughts on this. Feel free to discredit me entirely (there's no way to truly compare enjoyment after all).

Ther wasa time when I would watch everything till the end. A time when I would think a shoe I rated with 5 was good enough to finish it. Now I'm older, ya know.

Instead, now I drop everything I think I can't enjoy. I've seen myself dropping shows from its first 30 seconds to 8 chapters in. And because it's an assumption, I don't usually rate a show I didn't finish.

On the other hand, I do this with everything, from games, movies, live action series. And I think its because I became more critical against everything; not in the elitist way, but in a "why I did like this show" way.

Not that I don't enjoy anime, more like I enjoy it in a different way.

(Don't even know if I am answering your question, feel free to keep asking)
Jan 3, 2019 11:57 AM

Mar 2017
@LandMaker nah you answered it sufficiently. I have dropped a few things and given it a decent score because I respected the work but wasn't interested enough to keep up with it, so I can related to what you're saying. Maybe if I watched more than just 150 anime or whatever I have right now I would feel the same way as you
Jan 3, 2019 12:04 PM
Jan 2017
When I last checked, I had a very high mean score. Here’s what I had not a long time ago:
1. I only use the top half because MAL’s average scoring is dumb, and allows for weird scores. Because MAL takes an average, putting a show that I enjoy or thought was good at 6 or 7 means that I will likely be lowering the average score. Also, because generally shows <7 are bad and unwatchable, I automatically adjusted 7 to be the standard for a watchable show to account for MAL.

2. Generally I rate on enjoyment, but it would be more accurate to say that I rate on enthralment. How much did I get caught up in the themes motifs and symbols, praise the ending, or generally fall in love with the series?

3. I don’t know about outliers, but my list is constantly changing. A 6 could easily move to a 7 after a rewatch or just epiphany on how good it is, or fall to a 3 after realizing how bad an author is, or after a cooling off period in which I realize that I only accepted the show because nothing that I was watching around it was very good either. I will say, however, there are more outliers on the positive side. White Album 2 used to be one of my favorites, and while I still enjoy it, the visuals of that series were ass. I also am fair to stuff I don’t enjoy (or so I’d like to think) so while SAO is (still) ass and I hate it for all it’s worth, stein’s fate I put on hold as an 8, because it was good even if I didn’t understand it.

4. It used to be hard to give out 10s.

Now it’s more like this:
1. I’m starting to use more of the MAL range because shows suck. I still have an average of 7, but more shows, specifically isekai, are leaving a bad taste in my mouth and I need to put them somewhere. There is no spot in the positive half of scores for garbage like SAO, accel world, smartphone, slime, GS, etc. I gotta put them somewhere, so they are starting to fill in the bottom of the list.

2. I’m starting to rank them as it’s own rating system. There’s enough garbage at the bottom of the list that it can be used to rate anime against each other. 10>9>8>7>6>5>4>3>2>1. If a show is scored higher than another, it is a better show. With a list saturated at the top, it was hard to rate them against each other, but there’s so much bad now that it fills in the list.

3. Only outliers are that I’m still changing to adapt to the new grading system, so my scores may not be adjusted yet. Otherwise same as before.

4. I’m giving more 10s because I am taking AP Lit in school now. I’ve been told to “give the writer credits for what they did well” so I’m learning to pick up in themes motifs and symbols more. After paying attention, it is easy to tell the difference between a 8 and a 9 and a 9 and a 10, so that gives me more 10s but pushes out more 9s.
Art is dead, and we killed it.
Jan 3, 2019 12:09 PM
Feb 2014

Because even in anime i overall hated, i couldn't bring myself to rate lower than a 5 most of the time, because i don't think it's really fair to use a lower score and because maybe it had something redeeming, like good visuals/art, awesome opening/ending song, a character i didn't hate etc.

How much i liked the characters plays a huge part, the more i like a cast of characters and their interactions with each other, the more the score will be, also story is very important to me too, sometimes if the story is really amazing i give a higher score even if i'm not too fond of the characters, also artwork as well, i couldn't enjoy watching an anime with a artstyle i didn't like, also if the humour doesn't gross me out or offend me and actually makes me laugh it get's bonus points too(only applies to comedy heavy anime)

Yes, i have 15 anime rated at 5, they are: Air, Byousoku 5 Centimeter, C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control, Chocotan!, Donyatsu, Durarara!!, Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa ,Gugure! Kokkuri-san, Hakushaku to Yousei, Kaichou wa Maid-sama!, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica ,Owari no Seraph: Owaranai Seraph, Shibainuko-san, Tasogare Otome x Amnesia and Vampire Knight

Plus 4 anime rated a 4, 3 anime rated a 3 and 2 anime rated a 2 lol.

Easy i guess? out of 166 watched anime i rated 23 a 10, they are:

Ai no Wakakusa Monogatari, Alps Monogatari: Watashi no Annette, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS, Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season, Death Note, Digimon Adventure, Digimon Tamers, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hanasakeru Seishounen, Inu x Boku SS, Karneval, Kobato, Kuragehime, Mawaru Penguindrum, Servamp, Shin Shirayuki-hime Densetsu Prétear, Shoukoku no Altair, Steins;Gate, Sugar Sugar Rune, Tegamibachi, Tegamibachi Reverse, Versailles no Bara
DauphineJan 3, 2019 12:22 PM
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jan 3, 2019 12:13 PM

Jan 2009
because i only watch the anime that i know i will enjoy, i look at the PVs and synopsis of the shows i watch and also read spoilers if its an adaptation or with source material

my lowest score is 4 and its labeled "bad" by MAL and i gave that kind of score to shows i dropped only
Jan 3, 2019 12:23 PM

May 2009
I don't restrict myself to only 6+ scores, in fact my score scheme is 1 to 9, specifically. 10 is currently not used.

However, I enjoy a lot of what I watch, one way or another, and 6 to 9 means that I enjoyed it overall, at least a little bit, so most of my stuff is scored from 6 to 9.

https://graph.anime.plus/GlennMagusHarvey/ratings,anime

5 would be "meh" while below that is "I didn't like it".
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 3, 2019 12:29 PM

Jul 2012
1) When I started rating I used MALs wording of the ratings as a reference, how I read them was basically how I applied them to series.
2) The simplest way to go about it a majority of the score (like 6 points) is based on the general execution and how I felt it was handled. The remaining points (4 or so) are divided into two sections being personal enjoyment and emotional impact.
3) I have 14 that are below 6 with the lowest being casshern sins, blade of the immortal and violence jack's second episode.
4) Since I use emotional impact as a basis giving out 10s is very rare in that I only have 21 entries rated 10 (in some cases just being multiple parts of a franchise). Many series I highly enjoyed and felt they were executed really well so I'm more likely to give out 9s. But they're just missing something to really hook me on a personal level and put them over the top.
GamerDLMJan 3, 2019 12:32 PM
Jan 3, 2019 12:30 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I don't restrict myself to only 6+ scores, in fact my score scheme is 1 to 9, specifically. 10 is currently not used.

However, I enjoy a lot of what I watch, one way or another, and 6 to 9 means that I enjoyed it overall, at least a little bit, so most of my stuff is scored from 6 to 9.

Hahaha, I can't give 10's too, I forced myself to give it only to my favorites shows. There is no perfect anime imo so I used the logic of the closest one.

You could try it, or don't. Just saying, it's sad to see the poor 10 unused, lol.
Jan 3, 2019 12:31 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Hahaha, I can't give 10's too, I forced myself to give it only to my favorites shows. There is no perfect anime imo so I used the logic of the closest one.

You could try it, or don't. Just saying, it's sad to see the poor 10 unused, lol.
The problem is that my current rating system requires an odd number of rating options. So I have to leave out one of the ten numbers.

It was either 1 or 10 that had to go.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 3, 2019 12:45 PM

Oct 2012
Never gave an anime a 10.
I dont rate staff that i watched a long time ago and know i cant be a
good judge off. Also, i dont rate staff that i believe cant be objectively
rated or that i cannot objectively rate.
I drop anything thats not enjoyable enough after a couple episodes,
I dropped more than I completed. I dont rate staff which I have dropped,
also, I usually drop them because of my personal tastes and not because
I truly think they suck.
Eventually, the animes that are given a score on my list, are anime I
Actually appericiate.
Jan 3, 2019 12:46 PM
Apr 2016
I give 8 if it have good story, 9 if some of the episode must be rewatch again, 10 because I will rewatch that anime again and again
Jan 3, 2019 12:52 PM

Oct 2012
I only use the top half for manga cause I haven't read many and dont feel the need to classify them as extensively. Also I'm very selective with manga.
Jan 3, 2019 12:56 PM

Jul 2013
N30-R3TR0 said:

Why would dropping stuffs I hate means that I hate anime in general? 82% of my completed list, which translates to roughly 500 anime, still consists of what I think is good. As a comparison, I only have 30 dropped shows. Now granted, my drop list could have been double the size if I add everything I put off within 10 minutes of the first episode. But even then, I still have a lot more positive than negative.

I don't really like to use the term "average" because it's kind of a vague scale. To me, 5 is barely watchable, 6 is an "ok, I don't regret watching it", and 7 is the base line of something I can recommend to someone.

Just for a perspective, if I were to rate every show I dropped, none of them would get higher than a 4. When a show is that bad, I don't usually have enough time and motivation to finish it.
Jan 3, 2019 1:12 PM

Apr 2018
Because I want to reserve the lower half of my ratings for shows that I genuinely don't like or were disappointed by. It's pretty rare that I give out scores like this. It's not that I'm a casual, I just that most of the anime I watch tend to have what I like while also keeping me intrigued. I have yet to give anything below a four because I don't believe I've seen anime that horrible yet.
I read the synopsis of an anime, then watch it. If it has everything I'm looking for, then I rate it well. I tend to rate shows using a ratio of enjoyment as well as an analysis of the show's details. I greatly enjoyed watching the second season of Seven Deadly Sins, but being real, it had a ton of errors that made it worse than the first season.
My shows below six are:

1. Future Diary: Thought the story was interesting, but the execution was pretty horrible. I hated a good majority of the characters and thought the show had way too many plot-holes to be taken seriously.
  2. Hamatora: The Animation and Re: Hamatora: Both had a promising synopsis, as well as a cool animation and a banging OST. However, both series had unnecessary filler episodes (both series were each twelve episodes long), close to no character development, horrible comedic timing, and a severe lack of tonal consistency. Plus with Re: Hamatora, you have the extremely static and distracting scene changes that appear every other minute.
  3. Juuni Taisen: The Zodiac War: I enjoyed watching this, and the OP was fantastic, but the show had absolutely zero meaningful character development and an egregious amount of animation consistency as well as an atrocious use of CGI.
  4. Btooom!: Gorgeous animation, but logic and the laws of physics were some of the most barren resources in the anime. Not to mention the characters were horrible and the use of fanservice was inappropriate given the subject matter.
  5. Tokyo Ghoul: Root A: Terrible sequel, decisions made by the characters made almost no sense, character development was nonexistent and the animation took a nose-dive in quality consistency.

I mean I have quite a few tens, but it isn't often that I give them out. Only when I think a series has exceeded my expectations do I give it a ten. So far, the only series that I've given a ten are: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Erased, Assassination Classroom, Shiki, Steins;Gate, Made in Abyss, Noragami Aragoto, and Baccano!
DoubleJEspejwan6Jan 3, 2019 1:16 PM
Jan 3, 2019 1:16 PM

Mar 2017
@JustMonaka okay I see our misunderstanding. I use 5 as a baseline of a recommendation and for me a 7 is really good. Everything I rated 7-10 has AT LEAST a mean score of 8.07 on MAL, and most of those mean scores are over 8.4
Jan 3, 2019 1:44 PM

Jul 2017
1) Cuz I usually watch anime that I know I know I'm going to like. After developing genre preferences and reading an anime's synopsis, you can pretty much figure out if you're going to like the anime or not.

2) General Enjoyment and overall quality of the show.

3) Honey and Clover (5), Vampire Knight S1&S2 (5), Brother's Conflict (5), Diabolik Lovers (5), Golden Time (5), Free (5), Gurren Lagann (4), Acchi Kocchi (4), Love Live (4).

4) Not easily. Out of 146 completed anime, I have 8 10s.

“The essence of good deeds and evil deeds are the same.
They’re both no more than a person’s actions to make up for a defect in themselves.”

-Yashiro Gaku (Erased)
Jan 3, 2019 7:04 PM

Mar 2015
1) Because I like the most of the shows I choose
2) Enjoyment. Sometimes female cast, I admit it.
3) Like 8 (without movies) I don't score the dropped ones
4) A little easy
My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Jan 3, 2019 7:09 PM
Jul 2018
I'll prob be stating the same as everyone else but..
1. I don't continue watching something I don't enjoy and I don't think it's fair to score if I didn't finish it.
2. Rating something bad because I personally didn't like it seems kinda mean.

I don't really like the rating system at all anyway.
Jan 3, 2019 7:22 PM

Sep 2016
1. I don't.
2. None, I don't do it.
3. Yes. They're 49 in total so I won't be listing them.
4. I must consider them to be masterpieces.
One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.

Jan 3, 2019 9:55 PM

Nov 2007
It somehow happened. I realised, I was not using the lower marks anyway and so I made it my official rating policy. I do use 5 though.

As many people said, I also don't go into anime blindly, I know what I will enjoy and it usually warrants at least 6.

lol yeah, I rated Pupa 4 (wow, I was so generous) because it really was the worst. I watched it just because of anime watching challenge. And I have bunch of fives but as I said, I do officially use them.

From 421 completed animes, I gave 10 to seven of them...so I think I'm pretty damn stingy with tens. 10 is reserved not only for masterpieces but for the shows that are special to me in a different way than the ones that are 9 to me. My rating in general depends mostly on my mood and enjoyment.
Jan 4, 2019 1:44 PM

Apr 2010
If I don't think it's good... I don't continue. Why should I watch an average show I hardly enjoy? (didn't get the difference, so I'm answering both)

If I have anime with less than 6? Yeah, but it's damn rare.

Once it was easy... lately... not too much.

Jan 4, 2019 7:30 PM

Apr 2014
i watch shows that i think i will probably like and im usually right about myself
i guess i answered this already, but to expand: i like a variety of shows of pretty much any genre. that said i do have preferences, but they will not be the end-all-be-all for me. i can still enjoy a show with tags that i dont find interesting. so going into anime open minded helps me appreciate it better.
i have plenty of anime under 6, its just that i have so many more above 6 that my avg score is 7. short answer is too much to name
ehh, typically more than the average person. if i genuinely feel really good after watching a show then i can give it a 10. watching with people can boost this as watching as a group can pretty much make me feel better overall i guess (if that makes sense?) but if i enjoyed from start to finish without any qualms, then why shouldn't it be a 10?
Jan 4, 2019 8:46 PM

Apr 2016
Anything below a 6 is something that I would have dropped before finishing. There's no point in finishing something that isn't even enjoyable. Refusing to drop anime is a waste of time imo. That being said if something is so bad that it's enjoyable, I'll probably finish it and rate it using the lower half of ratings.

I use MAL's "rating system" and it's worked well for me so far.

Tokyo Ghoul √A. I enjoyed it when I started watching anime, so I gave it a pretty good rating. I saw my rating recently, and decided to update it to around a 5 (which is probably a bit too positive a score for what it is.)

I don't give 10s very often, as not everything I watch is amazing or a masterpiece. I imagine that list will get bigger over time, as I finish more and more anime.

Jan 5, 2019 4:06 AM

Jan 2010

☆ Because I pick anime I watch very carefully to make sure it's worth my time.
☆ I usually do research first and predict whether it will be an enjoyment for me or not.
☆ I don't hesitate to drop anything that no longer worth my time even though I'm close to finishing the show.
☆ I don't rate anime I failed to complete. I only rate anime I completed.

☆ Personal enjoyment and preferences

☆ Yes. Like two or three. The latest one was Tokyo Ghoul: re S2. I rated it 1/10. Petty reason being that I was so angry they butchered scenes I love.

☆ Not easy I guess. But I tend to rate a series same all of it's sequels (I rated all Gintama 10/10). But if series alone I only have like 5 or 6 series that I rated 10/10.
Jan 5, 2019 4:15 AM

Mar 2012
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:
Because I want to reserve the lower half of my ratings for shows that I genuinely don't like or were disappointed by. It's pretty rare that I give out scores like this. It's not that I'm a casual, I just that most of the anime I watch tend to have what I like while also keeping me intrigued. I have yet to give anything below a four because I don't believe I've seen anime that horrible yet.

But 6 is "fine" it's not garbage ! :o :o
Jan 5, 2019 9:44 AM

Apr 2018
HaarWyvern said:
DoubleJEspejwan6 said:

But 6 is "fine" it's not garbage ! :o :o

I don't mean to be snarky, but I don't believe I said anything about things under six being garbage. I still think six is a pretty decent score. As I said, most things that are below four are the ones I genuinely don't really like.
Jan 5, 2019 1:06 PM

Mar 2014
I'm picky with the shows I watch, I read reviews, watch trailers etc... before deciding to spend my time on a series so I tend to at least somewhat enjoy everything I pick up.

I guess mostly enjoyment but also quality, likeability of characters definitely plays a part too.

Looking only at anime i've completed I gave Yuri on ice a 5. I gave into the hype but it's just not something I enjoyed. It was okay, i think i kept watching thinking it would grow on me but nope!

Rarely, and they generally go to the longer, reputable shows eg: hxh2011, FMAB etc... I mean if ive decided to watch 50+ eps of an anime it needs to be pretty darn good. I rate movies separately from series, so spirited away also received a 10 from me.

In my mind its generally

10: Brilliant
9: Great
8: Very Good
7: Good (although this also gets given to very enjoyable series that I perhaps felt were missing something)
6: Decent, or even good but where a single element was a let down eg: the ending.

I mostly give out 7's and 8's. Anything below a 6 i'd generally drop but like I said I'm careful with what I watch so this is rare.
Jan 6, 2019 5:36 AM
Nov 2018
For the most part, anything below a 6 I just drop anyway and don't add it onto my list. I don't really research shows much and just go based on recommendations or if I see something interesting about it (eg I hear an OST or see the art). If it's good usually since I don't have expectations it's extra good. But honestly I also don't care enough to critically judge a show so that the top half is enough

Its just how much I enjoy it. I'm sure there a lot of plotholes and annoying parts but if everything else was good I tend to ignore it and enjoy the show. If by the end I feel like dropping it that's when it usually goes to 5 or 6 but since I'm close might as well finish. 7 is just average. 8/9 depends on how much I enjoyed it. 10 if it was memorable/left an impression on me

I don't believe so

Too easily. If it was memorable, rewatchable and left some sort of impression on me then I'll most likely give it a 10. But most of the time if I rewatch it it ends up being just a 9
Jan 6, 2019 7:41 PM

May 2014
I like what I watch, and I watch what I like. Must be the cause.
+I tend to wait till a show as stop airing to watch it, not to get hype by a great ep1 but disappointing ending.

I have a "1.33 higher than global mean" on anime.plus, I'm probably too generous.
But I consider that no anime can be perfect, so no point holding back on givin' 10/10s on anime that I really enjoyed, I don't really compare to the rest of what I've seen, I rate as I feel. Also, I'm really open minded so

have some yeah, when they are painful to finish (from past year watching challenge or just hold this I regret completing.)

way too much... xD (almost 20% of my list ^^')
but can't change the way I am.
Jan 6, 2019 8:11 PM

May 2017
UrbanSpaceman said:
1) Because I like most of anime I've seen, or at least found it satisfactory
2) Enjoyment
3) Of course, about 10% of my list, mostly shows I dropped and movies I didn't liked
4) Not easy - 17/617

I agree with this. Like, I'm only going to watch shows that interest me in first place, and it it turns out that its garbage, I'll drop it much before. So yeah, most of the anime I finish I genuinely enjoyed for one reason or another (besides the rare anime I hate qatch or want to see how it ends).

I like most of what I watch. I also rate on enjoyment, and the majority of what I choose to watch is based on reviews and interesting premises/studios I know I like

Enjoyment, which comes from plot and character development

Definitely. Sometimes I find a bad show and I give it the benefit of the doubt and see if it gets better, and it doesnt. Or I've watched too much of it that I feel I might as well finish or I enjoy how garbage it is

Pretty easy lol
demisionJan 6, 2019 8:25 PM
Jan 7, 2019 3:28 AM

Jan 2017
tlato_but said:

1) The show is competent to present a plot with a beginning, climax, and an end.

2) Story, characters, setting, etc. Whatever thoughts come into my head.

3) Afro Samurai. I watched the dub featuring Samuel Jackson who voiced the protag. Thought having Jackson would be a great experience, but I overestimated. Encouragement of Climb season 1 was a group of middle school girls that talked more about hiking and preparations than actually hiking. On a fair note, season 2 showed more hiking locations.

4) I don't give 10/10s.
LineraxJan 7, 2019 3:32 AM
Jan 7, 2019 3:52 AM

Jan 2018
I can't be bothered seriously rating any of the shows i watch so I only rate shows I think are 10s. Except for Tokyo Ghoul Re: Season 2. I felt obligated to give it a 1.
whats a signature
Jan 7, 2019 4:06 AM
Sep 2015
I’m a generally positive person who knows what type of shows I like. If it’s a show I would rate lower, I either don’t watch it or quit early.
6 is basically just bad. I didn’t enjoy it; though, there is probably one or two things I liked. 7 is very meh. 8 is pretty decent. 9 is great. 10 is amazing. But, my scale is essentially enjoyment.
The only things I’ve rated a 5 are three music videos and the Pokémon Genesect movie, which was trash and ruined childhoods.
If I really enjoy an anime and had a blast watching it, it gets a 10.

More topics from this board

» What are you gonna watch next season?

Pinoffin - 10 hours ago

25 by tsukareru »»
3 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 3 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

123 by SnipeStrike »»
4 minutes ago

» How easy is it for you to pick new anime to watch? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

14 by tsukareru »»
4 minutes ago

» Has a canon ship ever ruined a show for you?

Dragevard - Yesterday

26 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - Yesterday

14 by deg »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.