Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2018 11:17 AM

Aug 2017
it's not SAO without a rape scene i guess

the black shadows to censor the violence were so disgusting and forced, either show the violence or remove it entirely. at least if you're going to censor it make it seem natural like covering it up with the environment

nobody cared that Eugeos eye just kinda popped for no reason

i hate to be the guy to complain about SAO, but this episode was just unnecessary
Dec 9, 2018 11:52 AM
Oct 2018
worst episode.

sao is totally character driven by story.

unnecesary rape.

it could been better.

important episode to show how the law works in under world.

and eugeo eye popped out after he break the taboo index.

it means that the law is somehow is made by someone, idk.
Dec 9, 2018 11:59 AM
Feb 2018
What I wish to know is how the hell that is not a violation of the taboo index but entering the dark realm by a finger tip is like seriously who made up these rules.
Dec 9, 2018 12:13 PM
Cherry Thighs

Apr 2013
This new season of SAO is really good, but I will always stick with my notion that rape or attempted rape scenes will forever make me uncomfortable and will forever ruin a series, or at least an episode, for me.
Am I being a little oversensitive? Maybe. But I had this same situation with Perfect Blue a while ago and it is still the case here. Hopefully this rest of the season can make up for it, especially now that Alice has finally come back in.
Dec 9, 2018 12:17 PM

May 2017
I think this episode will decrease the score of this anime, well never mind XD.
I will wait for the BD, because Stark700 says some scane has been cut and I want to see more blood :) or mybe (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 9, 2018 12:19 PM

May 2018
They call that a rape scene, man all those bastards did was lick them.
Dec 9, 2018 1:29 PM

Mar 2017
Such a sick episode. Everything seemed too forced.
So Alice finally makes her appearance. Not sure if I'll continue with SAO after all these sick stuffs happening this episode. SAO really isn't my type.
Dec 9, 2018 1:55 PM

Oct 2013
I happened to read this in the LN and liked the way it was written. However, this episode just made the whole scene seem way too over the top edgy and just ridiculous despite the seriousness of the scene. The show has been a bit downhill for me with this school arc rushed and its poor execution. Hopefully, the next arc recovers.

Finally, WTF is up with Sword Art Online and Kiss styled tongues? Like are the humans in these VR worlds a quarter serpent???
Dec 9, 2018 1:58 PM

Sep 2015
Pedram said:
Nayout said:
If they adapt the new volumes, we will have something similar but lighter in the future.

Image from Volume 17

That's not new volume tho lol
and it's not anything similiar

I just want to see the world burn :(
Dec 9, 2018 2:39 PM
Jan 2018
Playcool said:
Excaliburnes said:

What happened in the Fairy Dance Arc was completely useless, this time it's a huge turning point plotwise.

Wait, all the hate that arc got was just cuz people got mad at attempted rape on Asuna?! WTF
Really dumb people then.

And the not "incest" plot
Dec 9, 2018 2:46 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Mattinator95 said:
Playcool said:

Wait, all the hate that arc got was just cuz people got mad at attempted rape on Asuna?! WTF
Really dumb people then.

And the not "incest" plot

Was perfectly fine with all of that (besides she is a cousin, and in japanese culture cousin x cousin is not a problem).

Anyways, I still have not watched this episode, but decided to see how they did that part, and I m shocked that they were bold to do this, and pleasently surprised, since the scene deserved it.
Roller coaster of epic fighting starts next episode!!
Dec 9, 2018 3:57 PM

Jun 2014
Holy shit, this for me personally was the best episode I've seen SAO produce. The emotion, action, storytelling and whats yet to come (as seen when Alice popped up at the end) is so good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2018 4:39 PM
Mar 2017
A high impact episode
I feel terrible for Tiese and Ronie, they went through something horrible, luckily the rape did not happen.
It seemed horrible to me the horror that Eugeo lived, literally exploded in anger losing his eye, but he manage to slice Scumbag Humbert's arm, personally I would have liked Eugeo to cut off his disgusting tongue.
Kirito came in time to face scumbag Raios and being honest, Raios was disgusting, his disfigured face made me think that I was seeing a goblin from Goblin Slayer, the screams of pain of Raios were a pleasure, watching him die was satisfying, I am glad that this was his final because he was scum character.
Now Kirito will be known as Noble Slayer
Azurika gave them some final words, since it seems that Kirito and Eugeo will be judged by the attack and murder of the scumbags nobles.
And finally Alice appears in all her glory, but it seems she isn´t the same girl that was the friend of Eugeo and Kirito, since she does not recognize them.
I look forward to the next episode, what will happen to Kirito and Eugeo?
Dec 9, 2018 4:43 PM

Aug 2013
It was handled pretty well comparing to "infamous" Goblin Slayer super edgy scenes.
ultravigo said:
After i saw that ridiculous jumping scene i knew i had to check forums.Kek this writer and studio are king of hacks.I really can't stop laughing thinking about that scene.

When I saw thier tongues and imagined "pero pero" sound I laughed hard too.
But it was probably intentional move for not going too dark.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 9, 2018 5:10 PM
Oct 2016
Alright I didn't read the LN although I plan to after finishing this season, and I plan to watch the whole thing after every episode is up but alas I can't avoid the Internet and my friends talking about it. I just want to know if the girls in question in this ep were really "punished"
Dec 9, 2018 5:11 PM

Dec 2014
I knew i was gonna be in for a doozy when I saw the Viewer Destruction Screen... I was not wrong.
Dec 9, 2018 5:44 PM

Oct 2015
Heard Reki Kawahara had to apologise to the voice actresses for making them do this scene. Lmao the embarrassment I'm sure will prevent him from writing this tripe ever again.

This season took criticisms of cartoonish rapists in the last two seasons and dialed it to 11. SAO fans won't ever catch a break. This franchise will forever be known as Rape Art Online no matter how good it gets from here on. Well, at least its guaranteed to sell well in Japan so more seasons to come.
Dec 9, 2018 6:09 PM

Sep 2009
I had an epiphany. Guys with long tongues have disgusting personalities...oh wait, it was done before.

stardreaming97 said:
Alright I didn't read the LN although I plan to after finishing this season, and I plan to watch the whole thing after every episode is up but alas I can't avoid the Internet and my friends talking about it. I just want to know if the girls in question in this ep were really "punished"

It's safe to assume that they were saved in a nick of time. Naturally.
XaphionDec 9, 2018 6:12 PM
Dec 9, 2018 6:12 PM

Jun 2013
That warning at the start of episode was a spoiler imo lame
Dec 9, 2018 6:30 PM

Sep 2015
MoonStar9 said:
Heard Reki Kawahara had to apologise to the voice actresses for making them do this scene. Lmao the embarrassment I'm sure will prevent him from writing this tripe ever again.

This season took criticisms of cartoonish rapists in the last two seasons and dialed it to 11. SAO fans won't ever catch a break. This franchise will forever be known as Rape Art Online no matter how good it gets from here on. Well, at least its guaranteed to sell well in Japan so more seasons to come.

It will happen the same as the controversy of Goblin Slayer, a week people will forget.
Dec 9, 2018 6:49 PM
Oct 2016
Xaphion said:
I had an epiphany. Guys with long tongues have disgusting personalities...oh wait, it was done before.

stardreaming97 said:

It's safe to assume that they were saved in a nick of time. Naturally.
at the nick of time huh? that made me a little less frustrated lol cause from what i heard it was infront of Eugeo, and if it was, i just plan skipping parts of this ep (may sound like a huge wussy but i hate rape scenes , thats why when i read the 1st chapter of goblin slayer i dropped it but i do plan on reading it again. Sorry i just can't handle rape)
Dec 9, 2018 7:09 PM

Oct 2015
Nayout said:
MoonStar9 said:

It will happen the same as the controversy of Goblin Slayer, a week people will forget.

Nobody has forgotten Goblin Slayer. That anime grew massive due to the controversy. People haven't even forgotten Asuna being molested in SAO 1 and that was back in 2012.
Dec 9, 2018 7:20 PM

Dec 2014
so like the warning before the episode ... I was like okkkk... but it was not that much gruesome...seems like if the taboo is broken they will be punished and obviously Alice will come...anime plot logic
Dec 9, 2018 7:34 PM

Dec 2011
Just saw the episode. People trying to defend this episode literally have brain damage. SAO has a history of gratuitously using rape as a cheap plot device. They did it in Fairy Dance. They did it in GGO. Now they're doing it again and even worse than they did before. This author is apparently completely incapable of writing a villain that isnt a slimy snake-tongue rapist aside of Kabaya. The scene WAS sexualized AND it was put in there for shock value, there is really no arguing about this, there was absolutely no reason why they had to graphically show one and a half minute of two girls being raped just so it could be the trigger for Eugeo breaking the taboo.

I'm literally not a person who is against rape being used altogether in media, but there are many ways to deal with such a sensitive subject, many ways to set a tone for it, many ways to make it relevant for the victim. But this garbage? It's not just distasteful - It's poor writing. If the author literally couldn't think of a better way to push Eugeo's limit, he is a shitty writer. Rape is a poor and tired plot device. We've seen it used for shock value time and time and time again. We've seen it used to fuel the main hero's anger time and time and time again (even in things that are actually well-written like Berserk - although I'd argue at least Berserk was always violent and sexual at the very least, as opposed to SAO trying to be edgy by suddenly featuring it). Beyond the debate of "is it gross or not", it is literally just an overused boring turd.

Are you guys seriously satisfied with this little? Do you seriously think that this is anything above mediocre writing relying on the shock value and anger responses evoked from sexual assault? I honest to god can't see it. This is just flamable trash.
Dec 9, 2018 7:53 PM
Jan 2018
jiroutachi said:
Just saw the episode. People trying to defend this episode literally have brain damage. SAO has a history of gratuitously using rape as a cheap plot device. They did it in Fairy Dance. They did it in GGO. Now they're doing it again and even worse than they did before. This author is apparently completely incapable of writing a villain that isnt a slimy snake-tongue rapist aside of Kabaya. The scene WAS sexualized AND it was put in there for shock value, there is really no arguing about this, there was absolutely no reason why they had to graphically show one and a half minute of two girls being raped just so it could be the trigger for Eugeo breaking the taboo.

I'm literally not a person who is against rape being used altogether in media, but there are many ways to deal with such a sensitive subject, many ways to set a tone for it, many ways to make it relevant for the victim. But this garbage? It's not just distasteful - It's poor writing. If the author literally couldn't think of a better way to push Eugeo's limit, he is a shitty writer. Rape is a poor and tired plot device. We've seen it used for shock value time and time and time again. We've seen it used to fuel the main hero's anger time and time and time again (even in things that are actually well-written like Berserk - although I'd argue at least Berserk was always violent and sexual at the very least, as opposed to SAO trying to be edgy by suddenly featuring it). Beyond the debate of "is it gross or not", it is literally just an overused boring turd.

Are you guys seriously satisfied with this little? Do you seriously think that this is anything above mediocre writing relying on the shock value and anger responses evoked from sexual assault? I honest to god can't see it. This is just flamable trash.

Exactly.
But I wouldn't use "literally".

This is the exact same thing as why the Fairy Dance Arc got so much shit, but now overexaggerated and inconsistent in tone. And SAO fans are still saying that the show turned good with this episode?

Every single villain in SAO has to be either a rapist and/or a poorly thought out psychopath.

This show has so many problems and only two very superficial good qualities, yet SAO fans still wonder why people shit on it so much.
Dec 9, 2018 7:56 PM
Oct 2017
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh boy, that escalated quickly. Some characters in this episode are seriously so creepy with their "punishments". I felt bad for Tiese and Ronye there.

No wonder Eugeo is beyond pissed this episode. That Raios guy is one creepy bastard. I noticed they censored some of the scenes, wonder if BD/DVDS will remove them. About time Kirito came there and kicked their ass.

Those bastards deserved it....especially Raios.

Totally agree. Plus if it's just me but I had a flashback to back in near the end of S1 in ALO where Sugou tried doing it to Asuna. I guess you can say both Sugou and Ratios were both jerks.
Dec 9, 2018 8:15 PM

Nov 2017
tsubasalover said:
Kouhais not back for 3 hours...

That girl in question came to ask for rescue. She was asked again, and her roommates went to talk to him for her. So that guy caught those kouhais captive.

His room is creepy. It's as if they are in illegal place. They used the law of being higher loyalty than them to begin to get a move on them. That again... Eugeo guy cannot move. Because Eugeo guy tries to break the rule, he hurt his eye, but able to attack one of them. Another guy was about to "punish" him, but main guy came to the rescue.

Main guy won against him. Both their arms are cut and wanting their own blood to be stop bleeding. Because that long hair guy wanting to protect himself and broke the law, he died.

It appeared again (the head when breaking the law).

The teacher cured his eye, and gave them warning before going to that side.

They finally met Alice, who doesn't seem to remember them. Eugeo guy seems to sense the familiarity.

New OP and ED announced on screen after the ep.
OP2: "RESISTER" by ASCA
ED2: "forget-me-not" by ReoNa
https://twitter.com/sao_anime/status/1071426721503600640

- I see... you make a summary for this episode
- I hope the new Ost as good as the first OP

thebrentinator24 said:

Finally, Alice has arrived (she looks a lot like Saber from Fate).

- Atleast ALICE doesnt said "Umu"

- That motherfuckers got what they did... to shame that only Raios Dead.. i wish both of them to Die... with more painful dead than Raios
Now Loading.....
Dec 9, 2018 9:14 PM

Apr 2015
Eugeo is a cuck, simp, whiteknight beta. plain and simple

you think that by saving the two girls would give him a pussy? I dunno about you man, but I don't work for free. if I'm gonna save some bitches, they better swallow my dick and they better do a good job about it.

but of course, ((((we live in a society))))

though really, this society is bullshit and extremely gynocentric that we don't question why we view girls as angles that never do anything wrong and all their hysteria is because we men either don't man up enough or because we can't take responsibility or that we're being commitment-phobic.
kidlat020Dec 9, 2018 9:45 PM
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Dec 9, 2018 10:01 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Alicization is 10 times better the self-insert than Season 1. THAT ATTEMPTED RAPE WAS HOT !!!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 9, 2018 10:28 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Honestly SAO could deal with less rape, but isn't that the main way to prove that the Taboo Index is faulty? Some things (even irl) are not so easily black and white. Aka, killing = bad. Listening to authority = good. Morals are more then just that. It's basically what they were trying to prove here. Y'all who read the series knew it was coming. Sure, this is definitely more graphic than the Asuna rape scene, but tbh I could hardly see it another way that sends such an emotional impact. It's truly unfortunate that they have to rape bait the audience, but I think it's the example that seems so obvious, and also kind of makes you question your morals. Like for the millisecond that you take away not questioning how ill-taste this was, it makes you think are you strong enough to sentence yourself to an insta-death in order to do something morally right? idk man.. sao was never a pg show to begin with and always had (albeit cringey) deep shit to think about, so idk why everyone acts like this is the first....slightly out there piece. Especially as many people say, like Goblin Slayer...that was screwed up too.

I also didn't notice the huge symbolism between Raios dying too, that his fluctlight exploded before his body gave way but it's the same concept. It's so unoriginal yet, all the yet...idk... I just don't see why there's such a surprise factor. Distasteful, but expected.

Finally, all the controversy aside, ironic that Kirito told Eugeo to protect the disciples from hearing the Taboo Index guy yet their ears are uncovered.
Dec 9, 2018 10:31 PM

Nov 2016
Honestly can't tell if half of the people in this thread are joking or not, lel.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 9, 2018 10:34 PM

Jun 2015
Good to see the SAO haters out in full force like the determined autists that they are.
I knew this episode would be popcorn worthy, and this TodAboT fellow certainly isn't letting me down with the ol' artistic "objectivity" argument. Tried and tr..... well, not true, but certainly tried.

SAO is basically the Twilight of anime. If you don't go into watching it expecting comically evil villains that the show takes super seriously, you're in the wrong place. Just enjoy the memes and move on with your life.

Dec 9, 2018 10:44 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
iamYuyaSakaki said:
Alicization is 10 times better the self-insert than Season 1. THAT ATTEMPTED RAPE WAS HOT !!!
This is so meaningful to me since I self-insert so much into my own game character.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Dec 10, 2018 12:44 AM

Nov 2011
This episode was highly disturbing.... I still like SAO, but it disgusts me how the author seems to see the need to incude at least one rape scene in almost every story arc. I know it's fiction, but that doesn't make it any better.

The way a lot of anime/manga/novel series use rape and/or sexual assault to make the story seem more mature, dark or "edgy" is unsettling and honestly very disgusting.
And what's even worse, readers/watchers accept it and sometimes even say that they like it and/or wan't more of it...
It's possible to give motivation for the characters to fight the bad guys and/or make the villains seem even more evil without the need of sexual abuse, abuse of children etc. (to name just a few) ...
WellminaAstorDec 10, 2018 2:50 AM
Dec 10, 2018 1:28 AM
Mar 2018
What happened to those 10 out of 10 reviews? xD
Dec 10, 2018 1:37 AM

Oct 2017
Alright, I think I'm fine with more Asuna than this bullshit.
Dec 10, 2018 1:39 AM
Jan 2018
What's with Japan and animating serpant tongue's
Dec 10, 2018 2:25 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
ibraheem234 said:
so like the warning before the episode ... I was like okkkk... but it was not that much gruesome...seems like if the taboo is broken they will be punished and obviously Alice will come...anime plot logic

Not exactly, since people breaking the taboo is all but natural, an Integrity Knight is summoned to deal with the situation (just happened to be her here), and do what you should see happening next episode, if it was not for a huge conflict that happens...
(Alicie previously broke it, but she isnt dead, for a good reason, think about it, and what was said in ep6)
Dec 10, 2018 2:44 AM

Sep 2015
TodAboT said:
Every single villain in SAO has to be either a rapist and/or a poorly thought out psychopath.

Avoid making comments without having things clear. The unstable people is something very recurrent in the works of 2005, In Hack was equal all the villains were totally unstable people, Haseo in G.U was it until the end of the Vol3, the same with all the villains represented as PK / Hackers.

For the rest here I leave a nice list of villains that do not have what you say,

-Kayaba Akihiko
-Tia
-Alberich
-Genesis
-Quinella
-Itsuki
NayoutDec 10, 2018 3:20 AM
Dec 10, 2018 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
TodAboT said:
vandereich2 said:
Where did you watch?

I'm guessing he torrented it and he knows japanese.
Or maybe he lives in Japan.

He watched live stream, Dubbed only. He may know the Japanese, who knows.
Dec 10, 2018 3:24 AM

Oct 2017
Also, did they skip something between episode 9 and 10? Because it felt like they did.
Dec 10, 2018 3:54 AM
Jul 2012
KittensScythe said:
KatsutoSaki said:
Also, did they skip something between episode 9 and 10? Because it felt like they did.
don't think so? But I'm curious if this will be a whole series or just in arcs like past SAO's

Its a whole arc, with a slight unimportant timeskip before the 2nd half(~25ep). All the events take place inside Underwolrd and the Ocean Turtle in a span of 2 real-life days or something.
Dec 10, 2018 4:00 AM
Jun 2017
Wish both those creeps had died, hopefully, the other one will. Damn, I'm pissed. This season seems to be all about raising the viewers' BP. At least get some dark and angsty OP and ED to match the theme.

Kudos to Eugeo for finally breaking the Taboo Index, might not end well for him but it was still awesome to watch. Now that I think about it, Alice was basically an accident, it's Eugeo the military guys really want.
Radu_Bey0Dec 10, 2018 4:30 AM
Dec 10, 2018 4:00 AM
Jan 2018
KatsutoSaki said:

"Shrugs" what was the time stamp for episode 9 . I think it said April or May in epiosde 10
Dec 10, 2018 4:11 AM

Oct 2017
Mattinator95 said:
KatsutoSaki said:

"Shrugs" what was the time stamp for episode 9 . I think it said April or May in epiosde 10

Oh, I never noticed those dates! In the 9th episode it's May 17, and in the 10th episode it's March. So they did skip... Or was the novel also like this?

Anyways, they shouldn't skip too much since it's taking my enjoyment away.
Dec 10, 2018 4:21 AM

Dec 2010
Best episode of Alicization till now, the tension was well done, sad for the unnecessary western release censorship, but i learn that aniplex and funi are owned by sony, and sony is well known for the recent massive change in policy and censorship in japanese media to please a bunch of swj.
Sony is a mistake and bad for the anime and manga fandom, i'm happy i never pay a cent to see their censored anime (and games).
Dec 10, 2018 4:59 AM

Jun 2017
KatsutoSaki said:
Mattinator95 said:

Oh, I never noticed those dates! In the 9th episode it's May 17, and in the 10th episode it's March. So they did skip... Or was the novel also like this?

I read somewhere that it was wrong subtitles that translated 5th month (may) as march. There is no timeskip. The events of 10th episode happen on the very next day of the events of 9th episode.
Dec 10, 2018 5:11 AM
May 2015
I have respect for reki kawahara and all the people who made sao possible but can't they make the antagonist not be a rapists? There are lots of ways to make a villian hated for the right reasons but I just don't understand why in every new season there's always a need for this type of villain. As creepy/uncomfortable the one's in season 1&2 I just let it slide but a 3rd time? Why? What's the point? It's like they can't write a good villain anymore.
Dec 10, 2018 5:11 AM

Oct 2017
Chrome_Falcon said:
KatsutoSaki said:

I read somewhere that it was wrong subtitles that translated 5th month (may) as march. There is no timeskip. The events of 10th episode happen on the very next day of the events of 9th episode.

Alright, so May 23 that is. Still a six days gap. Nah, you're wrong this event didn't take place on the very next day. Since they didn't show what happened after Tiese confessed to Eugeo. They showed nothing, other than this event taking place out of a sudden.
Dec 10, 2018 5:58 AM

Jun 2017
KatsutoSaki said:
Chrome_Falcon said:

Alright, so May 23 that is. Still a six days gap. Nah, you're wrong this event didn't take place on the very next day. Since they didn't show what happened after Tiese confessed to Eugeo. They showed nothing, other than this event taking place out of a sudden.

Yes. There is 1 week gap. I checked. On the positive side, there won't be any more time skips from here on out till 25th episode.
Pages (10) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

189 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.