Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 21, 2017 5:07 PM

Jun 2017
Next episode will be my favorite mini arc, if you liked this episode prepare to be blown away even more.

I am very pleased with the adaptation so far, it follows the manga like 90% frame by frame.
Oct 21, 2017 5:29 PM

May 2015
Niello said:
LauraBirdie said:

Please keep your expectations in check. Yes the flying scenes had some lingering stills, but the art style is very detailed and it's a 2 cour show,keeping up this kind of quality in a 2 cour show is to be applauded. The show looks really good so far, don't be unfair because your expectations were too high. I'd rather have something that looks consistent throughout the whole thing that spending all of their time, budget and talent on the first three episodes.

The only detailed thing about it is the background. The scene was pretty much static. 2 cour show or not, it's the decision they made to just fill what is supposed to be the climax of the episode with still frames, and I find that it sucks my enjoyment out of it. If they had kept it more tight, it would have worked better. Otherwise, at least use some more interesting framing than uninsipred ones. My expectation is simple. Since this is a medium with moving visuals, colours and sounds, I expect an enhanced experience of what I have read in the manga. If it fails to do that then I think it is perfectly normal to get disappointed, which I am. The way you said it also made it sounds like it's good for One Piece to have the shitty animation it is getting.

It didn't fail though. That's the point here.

Oct 21, 2017 5:48 PM

Dec 2015
Anathor said:
It would have been weird for Elias to be caught completely off guard by the dragon, especially after all the set up about how amazing he is, and in fact he followed Chise.
What was strange was to hear the dragon say that they live their lives to the fullest; considering that in most stories characters that live hundreds of years are usually upset about their long lifespan. In fact I wonder how does one live to the fullest for 300+ years, that sounds very tiring.
Wonder what Lindel meant about Chise not lasting more than 3 years; I suppose she is overworking her body by using too much magic at once? Like in the shop last episode.
This was the best episode so far, the scenery and music helped greatly too. It was a sad but beautiful story.

If you want to know that 3 year here's a spoiler

and i was expecting a grandma voice out of nevin , turn out a man voice lol , must have missed a bit while reading XD
Oct 21, 2017 6:47 PM
Oct 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Niello said:

The only detailed thing about it is the background. The scene was pretty much static. 2 cour show or not, it's the decision they made to just fill what is supposed to be the climax of the episode with still frames, and I find that it sucks my enjoyment out of it. If they had kept it more tight, it would have worked better. Otherwise, at least use some more interesting framing than uninsipred ones. My expectation is simple. Since this is a medium with moving visuals, colours and sounds, I expect an enhanced experience of what I have read in the manga. If it fails to do that then I think it is perfectly normal to get disappointed, which I am. The way you said it also made it sounds like it's good for One Piece to have the shitty animation it is getting.

Well, in my opinion it is not doing great as an adaptation, somewhat decent maybe, but not great, especially when you compare it to adaptation of lesser known manga like Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko and Houseki no Kuni.

Despite that I enjoyed the chapter, this episode feels flat and didn't resonate with me. For me it's a lacking adaptation, though that in no way means that I think the content of the episode is lacking. It's just the execution is uninspired imho and for me that is a big deal. If an anime is only good because it is riding on the strenght of its source material and not offering much of its own, then I'm not going to think too highly of it. They nailed the music, that was awesome. The art is also pretty good. However, the still frames and rather mediocre animation and the uninspired nature so far is not winning me over.
Oct 21, 2017 6:49 PM

Jun 2017
I'm in love. Amazing show, it has been a while since I found something this good.
Oct 21, 2017 6:52 PM

May 2015
Niello said:
Kittens-kun said:

Well, in my opinion it failed, especially when you compare it to adaptation of lesser known manga like Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko and Houseki no Kuni. I feel like I'm watching an adaptation that is lacking.

Despite that I enjoyed the chapter, this episode feels flat and didn't resonate with me. For me it's a lacking adaptation, though that in no way means that I think the content of the episode is lacking. It's just the execution is uninspired ihmo and for me that is a big deal. If an anime is only good because it is riding on the strenght of its source material and not offering much of its own, then I'm not going to think too highly of it. They nailed the music, that was awesome. The art is also pretty good. However, the still frames and rather mediocre animation so far is not winning me over.

It doesn't need to offer anything of it's own if it's already a good, faithful adaptation. Plus, the animation is mediocre? I know we watched the same episode here, so I really don't see how you think that. They might have paused a little too long on certain shots during that dream scene I admit, but the rest of the episode was undoubtedly beautiful. This is easily one ofthe best looking shows of the season.

Oct 21, 2017 7:02 PM
Oct 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Niello said:

Well, in my opinion it failed, especially when you compare it to adaptation of lesser known manga like Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryouko and Houseki no Kuni. I feel like I'm watching an adaptation that is lacking.

Despite that I enjoyed the chapter, this episode feels flat and didn't resonate with me. For me it's a lacking adaptation, though that in no way means that I think the content of the episode is lacking. It's just the execution is uninspired ihmo and for me that is a big deal. If an anime is only good because it is riding on the strenght of its source material and not offering much of its own, then I'm not going to think too highly of it. They nailed the music, that was awesome. The art is also pretty good. However, the still frames and rather mediocre animation so far is not winning me over.

It doesn't need to offer anything of it's own if it's already a good, faithful adaptation. Plus, the animation is mediocre? I know we watched the same episode here, so I really don't see how you think that. They might have paused a little too long on certain shots during that dream scene I admit, but the rest of the episode was undoubtedly beautiful. This is easily one ofthe best looking shows of the season.

Care to tell me how the episode was well animated? Are you sure you aren't mistaking art and aesthetic for animation? Also, no, I don't think it is already good. I find the episode quite boring in fact. If the episode itself is truly good, I wouldn't be here with my complaint. Also, this is a strong season, much more than the rest of the year, so I can't help it if my standard is higher here.
Oct 21, 2017 7:16 PM

May 2015
Niello said:
Kittens-kun said:

Care to tell me how the episode was well animated? Are you sure you aren't mistaking art and aesthetic for animation? Also, no, I don't think it is already good. I find the episode quite boring in fact. If the episode itself is truly good, I wouldn't be here with my complaint. Also, this is a strong season, much more than the rest of the year, so I can't help it if my standard is higher here.

Care to tell me how it's not? I mean, literally everyone else is saying it's good. You're in the extreme minority. You're saying it's badly animated as a whole because of one scene.

Oct 21, 2017 7:33 PM
Jan 2016
Wow, it's a really beautiful episode, one of the most beautiful episode I've ever watched. I think this episode wants to tell us that we can learn to live our life from everything, not only from humans but from animals too. We can learn anything from everything...Chise's power that humans really hate, becomes really popular for mages, that's an irony isn't it?
Oct 21, 2017 7:36 PM

Mar 2013
Am I the only one here who cried over this episode?
"Isn't Victini the cutest Pokemon of all time?"
Oct 21, 2017 7:39 PM
Jul 2018
Well I couldn't help but be bothered by knowing that the old dragon couldn't actually fly as its wings were too disproportionately small by comparison to its body. So it looked silly. But the author really wanted to give that 'ground dragon' the 'grace of flying', besides the 'one with nature'.

Kittens-kun said:
Niello said:

Care to tell me how it's not? I mean, literally everyone else is saying it's good. You're in the extreme minority. You're saying it's badly animated as a whole because of one scene.

Yeah the part with the dragon flying was very noticeable, how they couldn't animate it. Even the scene just before, when he 'unshelled' himself, it was already noticeable. But it was noticeable to me at first in the part where the fire fairies dried the girl's clothes.

So it felt lacking, to be honest.
removed-userOct 21, 2017 7:49 PM
Oct 21, 2017 8:01 PM
Feb 2016
AdrianRubinsky said:
Wit Studio's staff did a great job so far. The blend of comedy and drama is perfect. High quality animation and music like the previous episodes.

They also took more time to introduce the land of the dragons.

The worst part of this series is to wait another week.

You mean the cat village arc?
Oct 21, 2017 8:27 PM

Aug 2014
I cried. 5/5.

AOTS.
Oct 21, 2017 8:36 PM
Oct 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Niello said:

When is the animation in this episode actually good? I haven't seen any. The animation is very limited and uninspired. Only the art is pretty. In the entire episode there is very little movement that is worthy of note. And even in the part with more animation, they don't stand out. It's not just a single scene. You can clearly see that animation isn't all that presence throughout the whole episode.

So what if I'm in the extreme minority? I care about quality, what's wrong with that? Why are you so keen at harping on me anyway?
Oct 21, 2017 8:48 PM
May 2010
I cried ugly tears when the scene transitioned from the "real world" to Chise and Niven's dream. The sudden swell of music and scenery got to me and I guess I was so overwhelmed that I started bawling haha.

That was beautiful. Chise's quiet introspection always makes me sad over her childhood and her frame of mind. Makes me wish more happiness for her.
Oct 21, 2017 8:49 PM

Dec 2015
It must be hard for Chise's VA, she always has to talk in a low voice, or whisper in a slow slow way.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 21, 2017 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
I don't get this anime, nor why people love it so much.

It's one of those anime that focuses on, "dramatic enchanting" moments...but none of it really feels "enchanting", or "dramatic".
The Old Dragon barely had any screentime, nor was there really any significance to the half-baked dream sequence, or any consequence to this episode, nor is anything about the dragons going to be brought up again.
Oct 21, 2017 9:19 PM
Jul 2018
Niello said:
Kittens-kun said:

When is the animation in this episode actually good? I haven't seen any. The animation is very limited and uninspired. Only the art is pretty. In the entire episode there is very little movement that is worthy of note. And even in the part with more animation, they don't stand out. It's not just a single scene. You can clearly see that animation isn't all that presence throughout the whole episode.

So what if I'm in the extreme minority? I care about quality, what's wrong with that? Why are you so keen at harping on me anyway?

How many years will it take for the anime community to realize that Japanese animation is limited, even by limited animation standards?
In any anime, the only movements (when there isn't a comedy/action scene) are either mouths flapping, or small boring movements like characters walking.

I should've played a drinking game when watching this episode to count how many shots there were where literally nothing moved.
Oct 21, 2017 9:19 PM
Apr 2014
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

It's one of those anime that focuses on, "dramatic enchanting" moments...but none of it really feels "enchanting", or "dramatic".
The Old Dragon barely had any screentime, nor was there really any significance to the half-baked dream sequence, or any consequence to this episode, nor is anything about the dragons going to be brought up again.

Maybe because people have different opinions bro.
Oct 21, 2017 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
AquaWateria said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Yeah. Duh. Because people have different opinions. What's next? 2 + 2 = 4? The sky is blue?
I'm asking WHY people are so head-over-heels for this anime? Because the only thing I find good about it are the fantasy elements, and the fact that the other male main character has a fucking skeleton animal for a head.
Oct 21, 2017 9:28 PM

May 2015
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
AquaWateria said:

Yeah. Duh. Because people have different opinions. What's next? 2 + 2 = 4? The sky is blue?
I'm asking WHY people are so head-over-heels for this anime? Because the only thing I find good about it are the fantasy elements, and the fact that the other male main character has a fucking skeleton animal for a head.

You could just drop it instead of complaining every week.

Oct 21, 2017 9:35 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

I never said anything that implied that I dislike this anime or find it boring.
Oct 21, 2017 9:46 PM

May 2015
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
Kittens-kun said:

Well, you barely said anything positive about it.

Oct 21, 2017 9:57 PM
Jul 2018
Kittens-kun said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Well, you barely said anything positive about it.

I literally said in my original post that the fantasy elements themselves and Elias's design, are fucking cool.
I understand that this is the internet, where people of all kinds absorb multiple pieces of information at once, but come on...
Oct 21, 2017 10:00 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
I'm not crying; you're crying!
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Oct 21, 2017 10:02 PM
Oct 2007
This is just some top notch stuffs!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 21, 2017 10:10 PM

Jul 2016
Made me question why we as humans fear death. Also great development with Chise and questioning whether or not she should envy the dead, also showed how she needs to learn to live her life and enjoy it. Anyways great episode and this cements the series into its place on my watch list his season.

Also, the scene where she is flying with the dragon and she starts falling apart is beautifully done, and perfect symbolism for her shedding her skin, and becoming free in that moment, just as the dragon shedding his skin at the beginning of the dream and becoming free as he "returned" to the earth-no-the sky and becoming free himself.

JimbodaciousOct 21, 2017 10:55 PM
Oct 21, 2017 10:19 PM

Oct 2014
it's ten on a saturday night and im crying over animated dragons that look dinos
Oct 21, 2017 10:55 PM

May 2015
JUNNA!

What a fascinating episode...

Well looks like I was partially right about Sleigh Beggies being natural magic users. And a Sleigh Beggy being more powerful than an ordinary Magus is one of the reasons why Elias chose her. Also..."a magus of the last generation." Something's going to happen at the end... Well the Manga isn't finished, but I can already guess on how this story will end...
TarotistNov 14, 2017 6:34 AM
Oct 21, 2017 11:31 PM

Jan 2015
OK episode but sadly I don't feel anything for The Old Dragon
Rance X is A GOAT.
Oct 22, 2017 12:03 AM

Oct 2015
That was beautiful to watch :O that death was so peaceful, happy and sad at the same time, the line " you shouldn't envy the death' was so good. Looked like we are getting some Neko last episodes not the comfy one though :( Can't wait to see more of the later arc get adapted.
rizuxizuOct 22, 2017 12:13 AM
Oct 22, 2017 12:27 AM

Jul 2017

😭 Not like this
Oct 22, 2017 12:28 AM

Jul 2017
barthos said:
OK episode but sadly I don't feel anything for The Old Dragon
Probably cause we didn't get much time with it
Oct 22, 2017 12:46 AM

Nov 2012
I do have to agree that as much as I'm enjoying the adaptation, the lack of animation at some parts is frustrating.
Oct 22, 2017 12:50 AM
Aug 2017
This show is great. Loved this episode.
Oct 22, 2017 1:16 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Oh my word, that scene with the soothing and beautiful music and the mesmerizing animation was freakin' smokin' lit!
Overall, the episode was one top-notch episode too even though not much happened in this episode.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 22, 2017 2:45 AM

Aug 2012
Beautiful episode
Oct 22, 2017 3:16 AM

Apr 2017
It's just ep. 3

and this is like to be least powerful so far. The coexistence between fantasy and unraveling magic concepts is just too pleasing

His last dream goes beyond Chise's thoughts, Indeed she can't grief more pain and envy about her self, It because she seeks more genuine shattered emotion from a fellow friend who she met before he passed away in the aftermath, Meeting death can't bring back the living.

-HippySnob-Oct 22, 2017 3:30 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Oct 22, 2017 3:19 AM
Aug 2013
does any1 have the name of the song that was playing in the flash back of them flying
Oct 22, 2017 3:29 AM

Sep 2014
amazing anime, curious to see where this goes.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 22, 2017 3:33 AM

Apr 2012
Lunoire said:
it's ten on a saturday night and im crying over animated dragons that look dinos
one of us one of us one of us one of us
Oct 22, 2017 3:54 AM

Jun 2016
What an interesting episode which focuses on dragons. As always, dragons are majestic af. The way that dragon died was so sad yet so beautiful because he became a tree, his kind becomes a tree once they die.

Ugh. This anime is so fucking gorgeous. So many feels.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 22, 2017 4:31 AM

Feb 2012
Dang, that some great episode. Can't help it but shed a tear at the innocence of the little dragons.
Oct 22, 2017 4:41 AM
Aug 2009
FerdinandSurya said:
Am I the only one here who cried over this episode?

Don't worry, me too. Sobbing over an old dragon. T_T It was a beautiful episode.
Oct 22, 2017 4:57 AM

Oct 2015
I remember, I was crying while ago when I know Nevin is died in manga. And Wit studio just made everything get better. A glorious art, animation, music, everything is glorious.
Oct 22, 2017 6:20 AM

Jul 2012
It's getting better and better, obv was very beatiful and i think the dragon's mini-arc was adapted really good.
Oct 22, 2017 7:18 AM

Jun 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

The dragons will be brought up again and play an important role, that is the most craziest ongoing arc in the manga currently.
Oct 22, 2017 7:22 AM
Jul 2018
MomoSinX said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

The dragons will be brought up again and play an important role, that is the most craziest ongoing arc in the manga currently.

Is it just the dragons? Or will the other fantasy elements from the previous episodes (like the fairies) also return? Because they're all freaking awesome and I want to see them again.
Oct 22, 2017 7:34 AM

Jun 2017
ThatCynicalOtaku said:
MomoSinX said:

Is it just the dragons? Or will the other fantasy elements from the previous episodes (like the fairies) also return? Because they're all freaking awesome and I want to see them again.

Everyone will be relevant again at some point. The first few episodes are just world building really. Next arc will actually introduce our main villain, if you ever wondered who was the creepy humming guy from the trailers, yeah, that's him.
Oct 22, 2017 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
MomoSinX said:
ThatCynicalOtaku said:

Everyone will be relevant again at some point. The first few episodes are just world building really. Next arc will actually introduce our main villain, if you ever wondered who was the creepy humming guy from the trailers, yeah, that's him.

Will Chise learn how to actually fight? Or at least, do something?
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

376 by SingingDove »»
Jul 12, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

267 by animeciyusuf020 »»
Jun 23, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

108 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2018

111 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2018

93 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 5:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.