Forum Settings
Forums

Is rewatching an anime easier than starting a new one?

New
Sep 24, 2017 5:58 PM

Apr 2015
For me it's yes. I've got a lot of animes on my PTW list, but I always find it easier to rewatch an anime I really enjoyed in the past than starting a new one.
Sep 24, 2017 6:05 PM

Jun 2013
With a show you've watched, you already know you enjoy it. With a new show, there's always that risk of disappointment that makes it a little more difficult to commit to.

But then the gamble can be part of the fun. Personally, I find it easy to commit to seasonal shows because NO ONE has seen them before. There aren't any preconceived notions from public opinion, reviews, ratings, etc. to scare you away.
Sep 24, 2017 6:08 PM

Mar 2017
It's natural to gravitate to already proven things. You already know you enjoyed it. Watching a new series takes risks. But you have to, because the more good series you see the more you will seek and eventually you find yourself re-watching less and less, your eyes already on the horizon for the next great thing.

Or at least that's my story.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Sep 24, 2017 6:10 PM

Aug 2015
I agree with that... But not because I know I liked it.. But because that way I don't have to spend any internet data or stay around a free WiFi area because I have already downloaded it before... So it's easier... Lol XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Sep 24, 2017 6:15 PM
we back

Aug 2015
I would rather just watch something I haven't seen, as opposed to watching something I have seen.
Sep 24, 2017 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
I literally spent my time rewatching more, especially cgdcts.
Sep 24, 2017 6:31 PM

Jul 2014
I find myself rewatching some series pretty often, especially the certain ones, but for me it comes from nostalgic feelings when I need to release them by coming back to memories of the past which greatly connected to the particular anime I've been watching during those times that I want to live through again. And as I can't come back in time I just rewatch the anime. But I always want to watch a new series and due to lack of free time I find it a bit frustrating if I can't start a new anime while I'm rewatching the already seen one. So, it's neither easier nor harder.
Sep 25, 2017 1:15 AM

Sep 2017
If there is new finished seasonal anime to watch then sometimes I rewatch.
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Sep 25, 2017 1:50 AM

Sep 2015
Rewatching can be daunting, especially if it's a show you loved. I was thinking about rewatching FMA:B, but I don't want to be disappointed by it.
Sep 25, 2017 2:32 AM

Jul 2015
rewatching is boring ... you already know the whole plot
starting something new is more exciting
Sep 25, 2017 2:44 AM

Apr 2014
Same, rewatching you know you're gonna like it. I love finding new details and stuff while rewatching.
Sep 25, 2017 3:11 AM

Jan 2010
Depends.

But lately, it become harder and harder to find new anime that I'm sure won't be a disappointment for me.

The last new series I watch is BNHA. Well it's actually Assasination Classroom but it doesn't count since I love the mangaka previous work and I saw many great review about it so I'm pretty confident about it (also Nobuhiko Okamoto).

While BNHA is purely by chance. I know nothing about it prior but got interested just after watching episode 7 (my first contact with BNHA on Animax) and got hooked when I started watching it from episode 1. Finished S1 in one sitting.

Most of the time is just me trying to catch up with sequels.
Sep 25, 2017 3:15 AM
Oct 2015
If I want to rewatch an anime I would rather watch the highlight moments of that particular anime so I would type "*Enter anime title here* scenes" on Youtube
Heckle was here...
Sep 25, 2017 3:18 AM

May 2015
in my case, yes

rewatching handpicked series to calm my heart

Sep 25, 2017 3:20 AM

Mar 2014
Not really. Personally I'm a bit hesitant to rewatch shows (though I've done it in certain cases) because I always think that I might not enjoy the show as much as I did the first time and it will lose the charm I thought it had
Sep 25, 2017 3:31 AM

May 2016
depends on how long it's been since i watched it and if the series in question is good enough to be rewatched

Sep 25, 2017 3:52 AM

Jun 2016
For me it's harder, because I'll compare my current viewing experience with the previous one without even trying. It's distracting when I find myself thinking ahead and having to rewind a bit because I was too busy with my thoughts and missed something. Some anime are played out in such a way that you catch a lot of subtle hints on the re-watch, but not all of them. Also this:

Rowdel said:
But I always want to watch a new series and due to lack of free time I find it a bit frustrating if I can't start a new anime while I'm rewatching the already seen one.

@Danae That's actually the only reason I re-watch things. I've found that if the charm I experienced "goes away" then it was superficial at best and tied to something entirely different at worst. Nostalgia alone will typically bring back the charm for me when it's actually there. I'd rather be honest with myself than carry memories I'd potentially deem false or misconstrued upon proper examination.
Sep 25, 2017 3:58 AM

Mar 2016
Rewatching is always nice. You know the story and characters will not be borijng asf.
I rewatch a serie with about every 10 new anime I watched.
Sep 25, 2017 3:58 AM

Jan 2014
For me no. Being surprised and not knowing what is going to happen is a major part of the fun of watching.

Once that surprise factor is gone it's just not the same. That's why I like originals, cuz I can't cheat when I want to read the source XD.
Sep 25, 2017 5:25 AM

Nov 2014
No, I never rewatch anime. Never will I experience the suspense or excitement for it. I personally also think that shows only have a certain limit before their novelty begins to wear off, if anything most anime already wore that down halfway and I grind myself through the 2nd half. Just imagining having to watch those shows for double the length of time..... ugh...

As for picking up new anime, don't create a PTW list. All it does is make you feel that the task ahead in a daunting challenge, which makes you feel like procrastinating on it. My PTW list are mostly anime that are going to air soon or anime that has already been on that list since a long time ago (during a time when I actually planned what to watch) and I haven't got to it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Sep 25, 2017 5:43 AM

Sep 2014
The more good anime you watch, the less good shows you have for the future. Also if you have watched a lot of anime then you have a lot more rewatch material.
Sep 25, 2017 6:56 AM

Apr 2014
It's just as simple as you just need to click play and the episode starts... <.<
Sep 25, 2017 7:10 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Considering that I never rewatch anime, evidentially no
Sep 25, 2017 1:43 PM

May 2015
For me, not at all. I know I'll rewatch some of my favorites but I don't know when. There is so much out there to watch I sometimes worry I may not be able to rewatch the greats.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 25, 2017 1:49 PM
Sep 2017
Depends by the anime.
I can re-whatch anime like One Puh Man, Death Note, Attack on Titan basically anime with a good cliffhanger or a easy story
Sep 25, 2017 2:19 PM

Feb 2017
I love starting new ones, but it helps that I don't really pay much heed to general public opinion. If the plot sounds fun and the characters look cute, I will watch it.

Having said that, if I'm feeling down in the dumps or whatever I do enjoy rewatching my faves 'cause they make me feel all warm and happy inside.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Sep 25, 2017 2:21 PM

Apr 2017
Don't see anything hard about rewatching an anime or starting a new one

Sep 25, 2017 2:25 PM
Anime crunchtime

Jun 2017
No, it is not, EXCEPT if its a really good one or one you don't mind rewatching.
As for me, personally, I don't mind rewatching old Gintama and any romantic comedy or slice of life comedy or pure comedy anime.
Sep 25, 2017 4:51 PM
Sep 2017
Yeah, I'd say so.
I constantly rewatch animes/tv shows, i rewatch naruto like every year, same with the star wars movies haha.

Read an psychology article a while ago about this very topic, said something like "people like to rewatch things because it's calming to now what's going to happen"
Sep 25, 2017 7:34 PM

Nov 2014
Nah i rewatch but i have spent more time starting up new things
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Sep 25, 2017 7:38 PM

Jul 2009
Depends on what it is. I never want to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena again, because I hated it. Barring poor luck of the draw, a new title may illicit a new emotion from me. So it's about 50/50.
Sep 25, 2017 8:37 PM

Oct 2014
I always find it harder to rewatch because I'm not gaining any new information from it. You already know everything that has happened which I find boring. I always find it more valuable and interesting as well as easy to watch something new rather than someone I've already seen.
Sep 25, 2017 8:57 PM
Nov 2013
I would say no, because I'm more curious and excited when starting a new anime. Rewatching I already know what's going to happen. That doesn't mean rewatches aren't enjoyable, on a rare occasion it could be easier like if I'm rewatching one of my favorite anime after years, however something like that I haven't experienced in a long time.
BlareySep 25, 2017 9:02 PM
Sep 25, 2017 9:00 PM

Sep 2009
I agree, watching new anime kinda sucks because so many of them are bad.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 25, 2017 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
I usually rewatch anime that I completed over a few years ago.
Sep 26, 2017 9:07 AM

Mar 2017
In my opinion there is 4 reasons to rewatch something (anime or not):

1 - Nostalgia. For some reason some animes left a huge impact in our lives to a point where you keep rewatching them over and over again and you still enjoy it like in the first time;

2 - Nothing better to watch. Or because you are an elitist or you are simple tired of anime in general or for something else, from time all of us gets tired of the medium. The last step before quit (permanently or not) is rewatch something that we love it in hopes that we fall in love again;

3 - New season or entrie in a franchise. The last time you see it was several years ago and you don´t remenber anything about it. You will rewatch it to keep up with the plot;

4 - Theres is some works that have so much detail and are so deep that only after a rewatch you will fully understand it and realize how good (or not) it is. Many of them are more rewarding when rewatching.

I already rewatch anime for the reason 1 and 2. Never did with 3 and 4 but is likely that i will do that soon (Steins;Gate 0 among others).
Sep 26, 2017 12:05 PM

Apr 2015
KondeKeimado said:
In my opinion there is 4 reasons to rewatch something (anime or not):

1 - Nostalgia. For some reason some animes left a huge impact in our lives to a point where you keep rewatching them over and over again and you still enjoy it like in the first time;

2 - Nothing better to watch. Or because you are an elitist or you are simple tired of anime in general or for something else, from time all of us gets tired of the medium. The last step before quit (permanently or not) is rewatch something that we love it in hopes that we fall in love again;

3 - New season or entrie in a franchise. The last time you see it was several years ago and you don´t remenber anything about it. You will rewatch it to keep up with the plot;

4 - Theres is some works that have so much detail and are so deep that only after a rewatch you will fully understand it and realize how good (or not) it is. Many of them are more rewarding when rewatching.

I already rewatch anime for the reason 1 and 2. Never did with 3 and 4 but is likely that i will do that soon (Steins;Gate 0 among others).

This makes a lot of sense to me, especially because I've rewatched animes and usually do because of ALL four reasons :D
Sep 26, 2017 1:25 PM

Jan 2014
If you're new, yeah. As you watch more and more anime, I think you would want to rewatch less and less.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

More topics from this board

» Did you know people who have only 200 completed anime but more than 100 days are--

LenRea - 2 hours ago

25 by Rhae »»
2 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9143 by Paladin23 »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - 5 hours ago

18 by Jonas-K »»
22 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - Yesterday

47 by SwordBreaker36 »»
34 minutes ago

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

16 by APolygons2 »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.