Forum Settings
Forums

do you stop watching anime at some point of your life?

New
May 29, 2017 5:03 AM

Nov 2016
I started watching anime in 2013 and i still keep watching now, i watched too many anime and browse anime recommendation that now i think i can name any anime even if i havent watched it(except the very old one), is watching anime like this gonna stop at some point?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 29, 2017 5:12 AM
Jul 2015
Maybe when I get married.
I'm from India and there are not so many girls who watches anime.
After marriage I have to give my time to her.
Worst part would be After I become Father.
It's not like that my wife would allowed our children to watch anime.

And maybe after I became an old guy.
My taste would change so I can't say.

I think that's the reason is Japanese are not marrying coz of the same tension as mine and that the responsibility would end their otaku life.
May 29, 2017 5:16 AM

Nov 2009
People often ask this question. In general, no, you are unlikely to stop watching anime for internal reasons.

One day you will be a grandfather, you'll be rocking in your chair, watching anime and complaining how it's really easy for kids these days to watch anime, and in your youth, we had to torrent anime from suspicious sites, bypassing firewalls and getting into shootouts with the FBI.

The amount of free time you have and the degree of interest will vary at different points of your life, but it's impossible to just transform into one of those stupid people who are all like "these cartoons are corrupting our children with their tentacle-rape scenes" without lying to yourself.

chuniyana said:

I suggest you should marry a sane woman, not somebody out of a monastery or insane asylum.
May 29, 2017 6:04 AM

Nov 2016
chuniyana said:
Maybe when I get married.
I'm from India and there are not so many girls who watches anime.
After marriage I have to give my time to her.
Worst part would be After I become Father.

And maybe after I became an old guy.
My taste would change so I can't say.

I think that's the reason is Japanese are not marrying coz of the same tension as mine and that the responsibility would end their otaku life.

I'm from indonesia myself theres many people here as a kid who watch anime on tv mostly guys i would say.
Quite a few of my friends both guys and girls still watch anime(not as much as me i think)

And yes i agree after i become an adult maybe it would be hard to keep watching because of work, wife and family theres no time to watch i guess.
But i doubt my taste would change.

Maybe I will try to find time to watch anime and play games but who knows.

well thats quite a harsh wife XD
May 29, 2017 6:30 AM

Feb 2015
Yah... I had stopped watching anime at some point...

Got busy playing VG... :/

There's also some small-hiatus like I've had, especially during the time I'm playing Lodoss... :/

Ehhh...

Any event in real life that actually forced me to stop watching anime would be pretty devastating on itself...

It just means that I've graduated of being a Half-NEET to a normie... :/
May 29, 2017 6:55 AM

Nov 2016
_Ako_ said:

There's also some small-hiatus like I've had, especially during the time I'm playing Lodoss... :/

Ehhh...

Any event in real life that actually forced me to stop watching anime would be pretty devastating on itself...

after seeing your profile, how many anime you have completed and others.. if you are a Half-NEET or a normie i guess I'm a Super Normie...:/

anyway can i ask you something? the statistic in my profile just won't update i dont understand why
May 29, 2017 6:56 AM

Oct 2015
well for me if i still find alot of animes interesting i don't see any reason why i should stop right? and i never really thought about this properly but i did see this video by(one of my favorite anime youtubers of all time) Gigguk that answered my question for me

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2017 7:01 AM

Jan 2017
i don't know like if many anime are targeted to adult like many says so why will people stop watching anime when they get old unless all anime can be only watched by teens
i will maybe stop watching harem when i get marry but i can always watch with her some anime movies
koe no katachi anohana ghibi movie...
May 29, 2017 7:08 AM

Jan 2016
I'll definitely stop at some point. It's like growing out of a game; you can't imagine not liking it forever at first, but you eventually feel that it isn't entertaining anymore.
May 29, 2017 7:10 AM
May 2017
@Razan_

You might stop if you get too busy, you might not. It all depends.

I watch anime for more than 20 years now, I don't remember some/a lot of those I watched when I was really younger.

I don't see a reason to stop, they still surprise me to this day, I'm 31.

Most anime is made by very old mature people, and they do have a lot of artistry to share, new insights and perspectives.
Sometimes you'll re-watch animes that seemed very silly at a young age, only to find they have many new meaningful things to tell to the now more mature you.

Have faith in anime ^_^
More so in those that don't seem very entertaining, those animes you seen like you have to put up with at first, boring ones. Those are the ones made not to entertain ( industry ) but to maybe show something new, and change one's heart and mind ( art ).

May 29, 2017 7:14 AM

Nov 2016
Evade15 said:
well for me if i still find alot of animes interesting i don't see any reason why i should stop right? and i never really thought about this properly but i did see this video by(one of my favorite anime youtubers of all time) Gigguk that answered my question for me

Thanks a lot! that video really help me. it is really something gonna check out that youtuber sometime soon.
May 29, 2017 7:17 AM

Aug 2013
Yes if it has to be ecchi I definitely stop it for few years..but not normally stop it just taking a bit rest on watching anime!
"There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever
enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker,
or smarter. Everything is within.
Everything is exists.
Seek nothing outside of yourself
" - Musashi
miyamoto
May 29, 2017 7:20 AM

Apr 2017
Many days passed, I haven't finished some one set of entry series and keep on forgetting about it

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Yeah, when I have to work I do. Other than that, it's just binge-watching anime all day everyday

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†

Nov 2016
Who knows? But it's not like I'm planning to do so.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 29, 2017 7:24 AM

Mar 2015
i stop watching anime not because i hate it or anything, i just like manga more...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 29, 2017 7:26 AM
Jun 2015
I'll probably see less anime once I have a full-time job or if I become father someday, but despite that as long as there's something interesting to watch I'll definitely keep watching anime. And anime seems to be endless enough to keep me busy for a long time!
May 29, 2017 7:29 AM

Apr 2013
Well you just stop when you lose interest and/or have no time for it anymore. Tbh right now I feel like I will stop watching sooner than I thought. I'm still in highschool but I barely manage to watch 2-3 eps a week. I probably just wont have any time for anime after I graduate. but I dont want to think about it haha
May 29, 2017 7:34 AM

Jan 2014
ive been watching anime since 2010, and im still just trying to find my limit
Sonic X is basically an isekai
May 29, 2017 7:39 AM

Aug 2016
Haven't had the time or the interest in watching stuff recently, but I think I'll slowly get back into it now.
ffs
May 29, 2017 7:42 AM

Jul 2014
I stop watching anime whenever I get tired of it. Which is practically all the time.
May 29, 2017 7:45 AM

Jan 2017
Well I don't know man, I just started.

May 29, 2017 7:54 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
I can see my interest gradually decreasing but I don't think I'll drop it entirely. Unless my life takes a huuge turn
May 29, 2017 7:56 AM

May 2017
I think there's probably going to be a point in my life when I don't watch anime any more.

I haven't watched that much compared to others because I tend to go through periods where I watch anime exclusively and periods when I never watch it at all, but that's also why I think one day I'll probably just fail to get back into the "watching anime" swing.

Perhaps, maybe, what makes anime feel youthful is the fact that even when heavy, moralistic themes are explored, they are presented in a manner and articulated in a fashion that appeals to a more green mind. There aren't many shows that I can think of that are targeted towards people who are older than young adults. Not that people who are older than their 20s can't enjoy, absolutely not, but generally the prime target audience is younger and that affects the story/art/plotting/etc. of the show.

All the same, I'm sure one day I'll find that anime no longer moves me the way it does now. I figure I'll enjoy it while it lasts, then. And maybe one day, if I have children who want to watch it, I might get back into it too.
peachdollMay 29, 2017 8:03 AM
May 29, 2017 7:56 AM

Jan 2016
I am watching for over 10 years

As I got married and my husbands likes anime too I am watching more than I did before hihi
I cannot imagine I will stop but I guess this comes automatically sometime...
But I am not the one who can and want to watch as many episode as possible in one day

I am watching it in the evening for relaxing after work but not every day and I also watch other things
May 29, 2017 8:19 AM
Jan 2010
Sometimes when I'm bored and nothing new interests me anymore. On the other hand, I find manhwas more interesting these days...
May 29, 2017 8:23 AM

Apr 2016
Rxargyros said:
Yes if it has to be ecchi I definitely stop it for few years..but not normally stop it just taking a bit rest on watching anime!

lololol but u finished it all the end.

As for me! I dont stop watching anime at some point even so if the story are a bit boring i'll complete whether i like it or not!
u'll never understood how the feel to be me. When the boundaries limit me to express or share my feeling. When u want to explain the truth but
you are not allowed to. When u need someone to
talk but u can't say anything
May 29, 2017 8:25 AM

Oct 2015
Razan_ said:
Evade15 said:

Thanks a lot! that video really help me. it is really something gonna check out that youtuber sometime soon.

Anytime friend :) spreading the word of our Lord God and savior Gigguk
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 29, 2017 8:29 AM

Feb 2016
Well I've been watching anime for over 20 years - I'm married - have a job - but still I don't think I will stop watching it.
It might depends on what anime means to you or maybe how common it is in where you live. But - as for me - anime is a big part of me and my relationship with my husband & my family. So I just can't imagine stopping it.

If it starts to bore me - then I might stop - but as long as I find new shows that entertain me - I will stick with it.
May 29, 2017 8:30 AM

Mar 2016
Razan_ said:
_Ako_ said:

Ehhh...

after seeing your profile, how many anime you have completed and others.. if you are a Half-NEET or a normie i guess I'm a Super Normie...:/

anyway can i ask you something? the statistic in my profile just won't update i dont understand why

Just depends what you consider yourself.
I sometimes get called a weeb but I don't really care what other people say and don't think of myself as a weeb/otaku/neet

And to the original topic I have times where I don't care much about anime/manga or don't spend any time on it because I'm busy but it's still one of my favorite pastimes with video games. For me I usually focus on video games or anime/manga at one point and I switch back and forth
May 29, 2017 8:32 AM
Jun 2016
I might stop when anime gets bad. I mean look at this year's anime.

But if there are still interesting anime, then NEVER!!>
May 29, 2017 8:32 AM

Apr 2011
It's not something I plan on, but maybe when I get a job or something like that, I would be too busy to keep working, keeping up my non-existent social life, personal needs (aka sleep) and my personal desires (where gaming and anime fall into). But who knows what the future holds? All I know is that this definitely isn't something I want to stop doing. It's just that life is too much of an asshole to give you what you want.
May 29, 2017 8:48 AM

Nov 2016
I may stop watching Anime eventually when an opportunity in the career path I'm taking opens up. Most likely I'd not watch it for years to come once I get my career since most likely I'd be spending many hours a day working. I think I'd return to it eventually when I decide to show my children about anime and get them to watch a few series I think they'd enjoy.

Even if I do stop, I'd be ok with it, since It's not my main form of entertainment (The main ones are watching soccer games and playing video games).
"Estamos en la mierda joder" -DJMaRiiO
May 29, 2017 8:52 AM
Apr 2016
Yes, now. I'm really busy with the University :c in less that two months I have vacations (two weeks) so I'm going to watch everything that I can (and read every manga that I can)
May 29, 2017 8:52 AM
Apr 2016
Yes, now. I'm really busy with the University :c in less that two months I have vacations (two weeks) so I'm going to watch everything that I can (and read every manga that I can)
May 29, 2017 8:55 AM
Feb 2016
To be honest I've come close to dropping anime as a whole thanks to some pretty cancerous shows. I haven't sold myself to the idea yet, though I'm spending way less time than I used to when it comes to anime nowadays. School,TV Shows and Anime don't mix well together.
May 29, 2017 8:55 AM

Nov 2016
jinheanime34 said:
I might stop when anime gets bad. I mean look at this year's anime.

But if there are still interesting anime, then NEVER!!>

This season anime is not so bad many good non sequel anime and next year anime look so promising with many good sequel
May 29, 2017 9:04 AM

Jun 2015
I started watching anime in 2013 the same as you, but at some point in 2016, I stop watching anime, and started watching Korean Drama Series and its was awesome too, and started to switch back to anime 3 months ago.
May 29, 2017 9:12 AM

Feb 2010
I can still name a million titles I'M interested in off the top of my head plus they never stop pumping out new ones each season so personally I'm good, never happened to me. There's way more good and interesting anime outside the top 200 than you'd think. Given OPs total completed count of 150 I doubt they explored very much outside the top levels of popularity and score on MAL.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 29, 2017 9:18 AM

Dec 2010
That has already happened to me. I simply stopped watching anime, mostly because nothing that came out interested me anymore; I got tired of high school drama settings I grew out of ages ago, all those repetitive isekai shows and tits and asses really don't interest me at all, ditto for BL.

The only thing I still watched was Gintama and that's only because I follow the manga. I also consider manga storytelling superior to anime so that was another reason why I stopped wasting my time on something that only screws the original material up (I'm looking at you, Tokyo Ghoul).

My tastes and priorities in life also changed so anime simply doesn't really cut it for me anymore. I still read a few manga series I follow, though. Maybe at some point, I'm gonna rewatch some older anime I really liked for nostalgia sake. Otherwise, anime as a medium stopped interesting me completely.

Not saying it will happen to everyone and that people should just stop watching anime because they have other obligations if they like to watch it. But likewise, people shouldn't force themselves to do it anymore out of habit, it only becomes a chore then and watching something you're supposed to enjoy isn't supposed to be like that.
alenasMay 29, 2017 9:35 AM
May 29, 2017 9:20 AM

Sep 2015
Nothing lasts forever. Eventually I will burn out and lost interest temporarily or forever. Or simply find something else to get addicted to.
May 29, 2017 10:10 AM

May 2017
Have abstained, yes. But probably I would stop If I finally decided to settle down. A big IF, haha.

I'm turning 30 this year but still have time to watch animes and read manga despite having a regular work because I don't have to chase after kids and tend to my husband's needs! XD

Whew! That scenario's kinda scary...

"We're all human. We all make mistakes sometimes.
Just don't make mistakes when lives are at stake."
~ Great-Grandmother Mikage, Gin no Saji

May 29, 2017 10:27 AM
Apr 2017
My mother is 87 and still likes anime. (Born and raised in the USA. She's never been to Japan.)
May 29, 2017 10:36 AM
Mar 2016
I never WANT to but if life just gets really busy I'd probably have to take a break ,but thats just temporary.That is just how I view it but I'll try to never permanantly stop watching anime (^ ^;)V.

May 29, 2017 10:38 AM

Aug 2016
I haven't stopped watching anime and I'm nearly 40 and have a job that eats up a lot of my time.

Anime is a medium, just like live-action TV or film. Saying I'll grow out of it is kind of like saying I'll grow out of watching movies.

My tastes have changed as I've gotten older. So have the demographic tastes and preferences in Japan. I have no interest in a lot of the newer stuff because it isn't as mature as what I prefer at the moment and also because I am sick and tired of high schools. That doesn't mean I've grown out of anime. It just means that I'm not interested in most of what comes out each season. There is often something, though, that I find to enjoy. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is a recent show and it is one of my favorites. I am also enjoying Boku no Hero Academia (in spite of the school setting, in fact).

C.S. Lewis had some very wise words that I'll leave you with:
“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”
May 29, 2017 10:40 AM

Jun 2016
I stopped twice. The first time was in 2007 when Death Note finished airing and I binge-watched it and oh boy that ending hit me so hard I was depressed for weeks, and I couldn't watch another anime after that since I thought all animes are depressing or something. Then, I discovered Natsume Yuujinchou and obviously that heartwarming anime brought me back to anime world.

Then, the second time was when I finished binge-watching SNK season 1, because after watching it, I find every anime I've watched boring and meh because yeah SNK is that great for me.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)οΌβ˜†β™ͺβ™ͺβ˜†οΌΌ(^0^οΌΌ)
May 29, 2017 10:42 AM

Sep 2011
I doubt I'll stop. Anime is one that keeps me entertain in my life.

May 29, 2017 10:47 AM

Feb 2015
Razan_ said:
_Ako_ said:

Ehhh...

If you ask me my watching stats is pretty normie tier... :/

The stats in your profile won't update? Seems like there's a MALware... Asks DB Mods about it... :/
May 29, 2017 10:49 AM

Mar 2013
Doubt that I will stop watching Anime one day, lessen' my watchlist might happen though.
In fact, I do reduce my "Anime watching" activity several time back then. When I'm too busy with things (like Uni, Games I try to beat, etc.) that I don't really have time to spare more time to watch anime at all.

If my irl life in the future become busier that I can't really watch anything at all, then I might be stop eventually. But I guess that's not very likely, considering watching Anime is one of my hobbies.
May 29, 2017 10:51 AM

May 2015
Of course yes, I already stopped like 5 times.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Would you watch AI anime?

solacez - Yesterday

44 by Kenzolo-folk »»
3 minutes ago

» Does the chairudo with your waifu take after you?

SgtBateMan - 10 hours ago

7 by Shizuna »»
4 minutes ago

» What were the best years for you when it came to watching anime?

Gashadokur0 - Yesterday

27 by Shizuna »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - 8 minutes ago

0 by Shizuna »»
8 minutes ago

» Does your opinion of a voice actor change when you hear them voice characters in hentai?

Dragevard - Yesterday

15 by CaptainKenshiro »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.