Forum Settings
Forums

Who is your favorite anime villain and why?

New
Dec 3, 2016 3:20 PM

Nov 2016
After watching episode 36 of Jojo: Diamond is Unbreakable I realized how amazing Yoshikage Kira is as a villain. So I made this post asking what are your favorite villains and why? (Please explain WHY!! you like them as a villain so this doesn't become a listing post)

If you want you can read this long explanation then beware of slight spoilers if aren't caught up with Jojo.

For one, he is incredibly creepy in his scenes where he is posing as someone else. Second, he is evil to the core as a deranged serial killer. Third and most importantly he has to struggle for his power. Throughout the majority of the series, Yoshikage Kira is at risk of being revealed, on the run or both. He gets screwed nearly as much as the protagonist, and is always in some form of trouble. Up to the very end he is moments away from being killed horribly. But all of this struggle makes him one of the most powerful villains ever, not just in Jojo’s. He gets to have 3 stands in one, because his base stand develops other powers. These include remote bombs, and a limited ability to alter time. He is without a doubt more powerful than Dio. This should be obvious, as Kira has to fight way more enemies than Dio ever did at once and still pulls through. At many points his own men turn against him because Josuke doesn’t kill them. On top of all that, Jotaro himself comes to foil his plans with everyone else! A villain can’t catch a break. He still almost defeats all of them, including Jotaro.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 3, 2016 3:23 PM

May 2015
kira is overrated. pillar men and phantom blood Dio were only good jojo villains.

My favorite villainish character is Inari from Kyousougiga. I like him because I do. You were wondering what his deal was the whole time and then he was there and you went "what the fuck dude why are you doing these things for what purpose and why are you short now" just like you went with the show itself in like episode 8 but then episode 10 finished and everything made sense and Inari made sense and I loved him.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 3, 2016 3:32 PM

Apr 2013
Major from Hellsing, crazy son of a bitch
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Dec 3, 2016 3:33 PM

Nov 2016
RainyRai said:
kira is overrated. pillar men and phantom blood Dio were only good jojo villains.

Don't get me wrong I loved Dio in both part 1 and 3 and the pillar men, but come on man Kira is legit. Bites the dust too op.
Dec 3, 2016 3:38 PM

Mar 2015
Johan from Monster.....this dude doesn't need geass to manipulate others. He is walking geass.
kadiroDec 3, 2016 3:42 PM
Dec 3, 2016 3:39 PM

May 2016
Blind Idiocy from Mushishi, the most reliable villain of all time.

Also, Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku's Swim Swim.
It is genuinely creepy, how she seems completely absent-minded, staging murder plots only because it seems appropriate. Love it.
Dec 3, 2016 3:41 PM

Oct 2013
Snake of the Festival has been my favourite for a long time now
Strong, kind hearted to his people and ruthless to those that stand against him yet respectful
I like how despite being a God of creation, desire and forgiveness he is still seen as a evil person since he does whatever he can for the goodness of his own people instead of what is best for the world as a whole
Dec 3, 2016 3:48 PM
Jul 2018
Medusa, from Soul Eater. I love her sadistic personality and the fact that she's willing to manipulate anyone for her own goals. Both of which are traits that i enjoy to see in a villain.
Dec 3, 2016 3:50 PM

Aug 2014
Phantom Lady from angel blade, of course.
Dec 3, 2016 3:52 PM

Jan 2016
Squealer from Shinsekai Yori

Dec 3, 2016 3:53 PM

Feb 2016
Ryuuk from Death Note is probably my favourite.
Dec 3, 2016 3:59 PM

Oct 2013
ahoyanen said:
can we really consider him a villain?
Dec 3, 2016 4:25 PM

May 2015
RagingDominican said:
RainyRai said:

Don't get me wrong I loved Dio in both part 1 and 3 and the pillar men, but come on man Kira is legit. Bites the dust too op.

I definitely like Bites The Dust so far and but I really don't like Kira that much. He isn't a bad character, there are some good qualities to him, but he was overhyped as fuck. Dio Brando and Pillarmen > DIO and Kira.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 3, 2016 4:29 PM

Oct 2014
RainyRai said:

My favorite villainish character is Inari from Kyousougiga. I like him because I do. You were wondering what his deal was the whole time and then he was there and you went "what the fuck dude why are you doing these things for what purpose and why are you short now" just like you went with the show itself in like episode 8 but then episode 10 finished and everything made sense and Inari made sense and I loved him.

inari fucking amazing as a villain indeed his existencial crisis at the last episode was one the best portrayal of this kind of conflict o have seen in anime
and the pillar men are terrible villains kars and acdc are way worst than kira
Dec 3, 2016 4:35 PM

May 2014
RainyRai said:

Dio was a horrendous villain, his reasons for being evil was because?? he was born in a rough part of the world?????????
edit. I realize now that you said phantom blood Dio but it doesn't really change anything.
Dec 3, 2016 4:38 PM

May 2014
ahoyanen said:

You can't consider Ryuuk a villain because he's not.
Dec 3, 2016 4:39 PM

Jul 2015
Griffith,Zodd, Chrollo, Meruem, Daiya Oomine, Kira, Dio, Toguro, Shinobu Sensui, Friend, Johan Liebert are all my favorites, but it would have to go to Griffith as my absolute favorite and it's because how he has a relatable dream, he has fun times like a regular human, Badass, steals all the scenes he's in
Sup...
Dec 3, 2016 4:39 PM

Jan 2016
It used to be Funny Valentine but since I saw Bites za Dusto,Kira takes the crown.
Dec 3, 2016 4:41 PM

Jul 2015
Gexis said:
RainyRai said:

Dio was a horrendous villain, his reasons for being evil was because?? he was born in a rough part of the world?????????
edit. I realize now that you said phantom blood Dio but it doesn't really change anything.
His Charisma is all he needs and his actions and how it's executed
Sup...
Dec 3, 2016 4:42 PM
Nov 2016
I like Munokuma from DanganRonpa
He (or she) is so ironic, and funny, allway innovating
Dec 3, 2016 4:44 PM

Jul 2015
Takasugi and Kamui from Gintama are climbing in my favorites also, but I need to watch more
Sup...
Dec 3, 2016 4:46 PM

May 2015
Gexis said:
RainyRai said:

I loved Dio Brando because of how he treated Jonathan and how he just did things. He truly values Jonathan as a person, as an equal; he doesn't think Joseph and Jotaro are anywhere near as strong as Jonathan was. He only respects Jonathan, so much so that he was perfectly okay with merging.

A villain doesn't need to have good motivations for being evil just like a person doesn't need to have good motivations for being a good person. They just have to be written interestingly and be characters you want to watch.
Dec 4, 2016 2:57 AM

Feb 2016
Deknijff said:
ahoyanen said:
can we really consider him a villain?
Gexis said:
ahoyanen said:
You can't consider Ryuuk a villain because he's not.

He is definitely a villain. Just the fact that he dropped his death note into the world makes him the primary villain. He ruined many people's lives (including Light's) for the sake of his enjoyment. At least Light had initially somewhat a "noble" goal.
Dec 4, 2016 3:00 AM

Jun 2015
I really love Gilgamesh from the Fate Series, also Tomura Shigaraki from Boku no Hero Academia...I think he is really scary yet I really want to know more about him

also the main villain from Danganronpa
Dec 4, 2016 3:10 AM

Jun 2015
Sato from Ajin. Too bad the CG sucks.
Dec 4, 2016 4:50 AM

Aug 2014
Griffith is not a villain, Femto is.

Favorite Villain is two (tie)
Johan Liebert (Monster)
Shogo Makishima (P-P)

Followed by: King Bradley (FMAB)

Used to like Hisoka but now not so much.

As to why they all are smart and use their psychological dominance to scare the characters, plus they are well written imo and have their cool moments and complex personality.
Dec 4, 2016 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
from Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica. Evil, but not really. Might as well be the hero of the story, but does some pretty evil things.
Dec 4, 2016 5:29 AM

Jul 2013
SeidouTZ said:
Medusa, from Soul Eater. I love her sadistic personality and the fact that she's willing to manipulate anyone for her own goals. Both of which are traits that i enjoy to see in a villain.

Same. I love her determination to achieve her goals even going so far as to manipulate her own daughter to get what she wants. She's unfazed by anything. Even after getting defeated once, she still has the determination to continue what she started. A true villain indeed. Not easily swayed by petty words from the main characters.
Dec 4, 2016 5:33 AM

Apr 2013
Omg I have so MANY! (Since I'm the type that likes Villains over the "good guys" that is.)
But my ultimate fav has to be Makoto Hanamiya from Kuroko No Basket
To answer your why he's just so full of it claiming that he enjoys the misfortunes and suffering of others I don't believe at all
Him being a genius is another why I like him
Besides when he said the that Imayoshi has the worst personality I was like: ha! Your not the one to talk for sure.
Basically he the type of dud that never admits defeat nor the flaws in him or he just ignores them and point out others'
He's my type.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2016 5:48 AM

Dec 2015
Ladd Russo from Baccano!

He doesn't have complex motivations, he doesn't want money, he doesn't want power. He simply wants to kill people because he enjoys killing people.
Dec 4, 2016 6:02 AM

Mar 2016
My favorite is Oskar von Reuenthal from LotGH.

Reason why I like him:
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Dec 4, 2016 6:18 AM

Jan 2016
Meruem, Johan Liebert, Ulquiorra, Doflamingo, Griffith, The Count of Monte Cristo (even though there were more evil characters than him in the show)...

It's impossible for me to pick just one.
Dec 4, 2016 8:00 AM

May 2016
Perfect cell, not only did he challenge everyone, he's pretty smart and also sarcastic at times. He also revealed my dislike for gohan.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Dec 4, 2016 8:07 AM

Jun 2016
I suppose it's Shogo Makishima, although he's more of an anti-villain than a traditional one.

"Out of the night that conquers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul."

Dec 4, 2016 8:12 AM

Apr 2016
Volt-sama from Kuroinu: Kedakaki Seijo wa Hakudaku ni Somaru.
Dec 4, 2016 8:15 AM

Jul 2010
Makoto Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin... he lived for his own fun and his revenge is justified... still the strongest if he weren't so badly handicapped. I did like Enishi too, but he was just a winey moppy kid

I would add Light from Death Note... but just the 1st part. 2nd part.. be let it get to himself and he wasn't the real Kira
ifeelgoodDec 4, 2016 8:20 AM
Dec 4, 2016 8:18 AM
Oct 2016
Light
Crocodile
Takasugi
King Badley
Dec 4, 2016 8:26 AM

Jan 2015
RagingDominican said:
After watching episode 36 of Jojo: Diamond is Unbreakable I realized how amazing Yoshikage Kira is as a villain. So I made this post asking what are your favorite villains and why? (Please explain WHY!! you like them as a villain so this doesn't become a listing post)

If you want you can read this long explanation then beware of slight spoilers if aren't caught up with Jojo.

For one, he is incredibly creepy in his scenes where he is posing as someone else. Second, he is evil to the core as a deranged serial killer. Third and most importantly he has to struggle for his power. Throughout the majority of the series, Yoshikage Kira is at risk of being revealed, on the run or both. He gets screwed nearly as much as the protagonist, and is always in some form of trouble. Up to the very end he is moments away from being killed horribly. But all of this struggle makes him one of the most powerful villains ever, not just in Jojo’s. He gets to have 3 stands in one, because his base stand develops other powers. These include remote bombs, and a limited ability to alter time. He is without a doubt more powerful than Dio. This should be obvious, as Kira has to fight way more enemies than Dio ever did at once and still pulls through. At many points his own men turn against him because Josuke doesn’t kill them. On top of all that, Jotaro himself comes to foil his plans with everyone else! A villain can’t catch a break. He still almost defeats all of them, including Jotaro.

I don't have a favorite villain but if a villain can manage to earn my hate then that character does what their are intended :3

Frieza (DBZ)
Sasuke (Naruto Shippuden) (I did in the past anyway lol :3) (though I hated Sakura even more no matter if he was a villain or not lol :3)
Akainu and Blackbeard, and I feel like I'm going to hate Kaido and Big Mam more the coming arcs (One Piece) :3
Makise Kurisus' father (although he isn't a villain just a heartless bastard) :3
Oberon (Sword Art Online)
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Dec 4, 2016 8:30 AM
Jun 2015
These guys for self explanatory reasons:

In terms of characters that manage to make me hate them, Swim Swim from Mahou shoujo ikusei keikaku and worst girl from dangan ronpa really accomplish that.
Dec 4, 2016 8:37 AM

Dec 2009
Watch Shinsekai Yori, you will see a villain so well done your mind will die. As far as why, it's self explanatory.
Because it's impeccably realistic, and you can trace his inception and where his ideas came from since way back. Absolutely brilliant.

I've never seen a more well written villain in any story, be it live acted, written or animated. (I'm sure better exist elsewhere, but he's definitely the best for anime)
GenesisAriaDec 4, 2016 8:40 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 4, 2016 8:37 AM

Jun 2015
my favorite is Orihara Izaya, who else can troll the entire of ikebukuro.

Dec 4, 2016 8:40 AM

Feb 2015
Definitely Johan from Monster. If you watched the series, you won't need an explanation.
Dec 4, 2016 8:45 AM

Jan 2016
BRB-kun said:
Sato from Ajin. Too bad the CG sucks.
CG ain't that bad tho compared to Berserk 2016...but yea Sato is a dope villain(hero).
Dec 4, 2016 8:49 AM

Jul 2015
sky977 said:
Definitely Johan from Monster. If you watched the series, you won't need an explanation.

I watched it and Johan is meh. He's certainly not relatable and interesting like Griffith.
Johan is just some guy you're supposed to be scared off because people keep telling you he is scary.
Dec 4, 2016 9:01 AM

Oct 2016
Johan Liebert from Monster is definitely a favorite.

Love-love the stars
Love-love the moon
Nothing comes even close
To half of you

Dec 4, 2016 9:15 AM

Jul 2013
JewellTH said:
These guys for self explanatory reasons:
Oh, Hazama and Relius are lit as fuck.
Dec 4, 2016 10:24 AM

Jan 2016
Shougo Makishima. Aside from charisma, he also is your reference point in what really is wrong with the status quo of Psycho Pass(or aka the Sibyl System).
Dec 4, 2016 10:26 AM

May 2015
Clebardman said:
sky977 said:

I watched it and Johan is meh. He's certainly not relatable and interesting like Griffith.

Johan is just some guy you're supposed to be scared off because people keep telling you he is scary.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 4, 2016 10:32 AM

Jun 2015
I, the mighty Akabane Kuroudo.

but mayhap I am not really a villian.

nor is akkado. or alexander andersen. or meruem.

the best villians are not really villians.
Dec 4, 2016 10:38 AM

Nov 2016
Doflamingo from One Piece. Evil,cruel, cunning, charismatic and entertaining. Doffy has every feature a great villain should have. He was able to trick Riku and the citizens, overthrow a whole country in just one night and to enslave half of the population for 10 years without the other half beeing aware of it. He even killed his father and brother. Nevertheless I still like him.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - 8 hours ago

14 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - May 29

17 by Lhundrup »»
33 minutes ago

» Which anime do you think deserves a reboot or continuation, and why?

Gashadokur0 - May 29

30 by Adnash »»
2 hours ago

» What does your waifu expect of you?

SgtBateMan - Today

21 by SgtBateMan »»
2 hours ago

» Misconceptions about anime in general or specific titles that continue to spread despite everything

RobertBobert - May 26

29 by FanofAction »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.