Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (16) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Mar 6, 2016 10:20 AM

Mar 2015
YayaChibi said:
Kuma said:

do u need to explain every little thing?
ab, sakurasou, sailo moon, k-on, ookami kodomo, NGNL, himouto, most of your high rank in your list is mainstream as well.

Ookami Kondomo Ame to Yuki I enjoyed.
Sailor Moon I haven't seen since I was 4. I hardly remember the anime. I based my score off of what I remember from it.
K-on I don't remember either because I was 6 when I saw it.
Is Himouto! Umaru-chan even mainstream?
And if you want to get your point across then yes, you do have to explain things.
yes, himouto manga is sold more than 100K per volume IIRC. it's already semi mainstream.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 6, 2016 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
if something is mainstream, its because a lot of people like it.
if a lot of people like it, it should be good right?
even though sometimes a lot of people like animes full of shit.
we have exceptions for everything. we shouldnt generalize stuff.
Mar 6, 2016 10:24 AM

Mar 2015
YayaChibi said:
Kuma said:
yes, himouto manga is sold more than 100K per volume IIRC. it's already semi mainstream.

I knew the manga was mainstream in Japane but I was wondering about the anime.
anime sold more than 6K which is already twice of manabi line. it's pretty mainstream. but manga is much more easy to be indicator of popularity since they are the original source and manga is much more popular than anime in general. also manga industries is more friendly to common people.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 6, 2016 1:19 PM

Jul 2015
Dort said:
Well i think this is not fair, you are valuating the movie for what is not intended to be, what you expect from a movie like F&F? Deep philosophy or politcs?

the genre has little to do with the quality of the writing and underlying themes. Terminator is an extremely popular license and has much more to say about human nature than F&F. Just like some ecchis are good while other are just mindless boobfests.
Mar 6, 2016 3:16 PM

Feb 2015
Kind of like in the other thread about "older vs newer" it just depends really sometimes an unpopular anime is like wow and the popular one meh, or reversed.
Mar 7, 2016 12:17 AM

May 2015
Kuma said:
YayaChibi said:

Again like I said. Isn't mainstream anime mainstream because it is good?
There is a portion that is mainstream because it is bad.
wut?
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1404272&show=500#msg45049731
YayaChibi said:
In my opinion most mainstream anime IS MAINSTREAM because it is bad.

"Most anime is mainstream because it is bad" is reverse Bandwagon Fallacy. It goes both ways - popularity isn't proof of quality or lack of quality.

Sure, you need some tings for mass appeal, especially accessability. Popular anime are often more accessible and perhaps not as weird, but it doesn't automatically make them bad. Even if they're not worthy of the hype - Death Note is no masterpiece - they can still be good.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 7, 2016 12:25 AM

Sep 2009
Yes. Because most people have shit taste, mainstream, which most people like, is shit. And so is your waifu.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 9, 2016 3:26 PM
Jan 2016
Thoimanh said:
The reason i hate mainstream anime is filler, big example is naruto, holy shit it like 70% of it is filler

Lol if we talk about the last 100 ep, it's more like 98%... -.- so sad to see such a complete lack of respect to their <dear> customer...
I
Edit: I don't hate mainstream, but what is happening with Naruto is just awful
GinpachiMar 9, 2016 3:37 PM
Stress makes you bald, but it’s stressful to avoid stress, so you end up stressed out anyway,
so in the end there’s nothing you can do.
(Gintama)
Mar 9, 2016 3:37 PM

Oct 2013
Clebardman said:
Dort said:
Well i think this is not fair, you are valuating the movie for what is not intended to be, what you expect from a movie like F&F? Deep philosophy or politcs?

the genre has little to do with the quality of the writing and underlying themes. Terminator is an extremely popular license and has much more to say about human nature than F&F. Just like some ecchis are good while other are just mindless boobfests.

What does that have to do with fast and the furious, which is about fast cars?? Lol
Mar 10, 2016 3:53 AM

Jul 2015
keragamming said:
Clebardman said:

What does that have to do with fast and the furious, which is about fast cars?? Lol

And Terminator is (not) about robots. FLCL is (not) about robots. I could go on. Just because your goal is to entertain doesn't mean you have to make something stupid.

But you're right, Fast & Furious, on the other hand, is totally about meh actors driving ugly cars at insane speeds. Damn, I just saw the last Avengers movie, it was shit but at least it had some clear underlying themes (It took the Terminator/Frankenstein basic premise and turned it into a critic of the american's foreign policy, and drones.) If that movie can do it, F&F can. But that would mean actually taking a stance on something, with the risk of narrowing the target audience. Not going to happen lol.
DeathkoMar 10, 2016 4:01 AM
Mar 10, 2016 3:59 AM
Feb 2014
>people actually think umaru-chan is mainstream
>trusting MAL users as to what is mainstream
>hipsters
>opinions
Mar 10, 2016 4:01 AM

Apr 2015
Nothing wrong with mainstream anime, some of them are actually good while there's also an obscure anime that is bad.
Mar 10, 2016 4:47 AM

Feb 2015
Although MOST mainstream anime are not really that good i don't judge my shows based on their popularity,i judge them on how good they are
Mar 10, 2016 9:00 AM

May 2015
aureate-chan said:
if something is mainstream, its because a lot of people like it.
if a lot of people like it, it should be good right?
even though sometimes a lot of people like animes full of shit.
we have exceptions for everything. we shouldnt generalize stuff.

Bandwagon fallacy. A lot of people thinking something doesn't prove anything. Most people aren't experts in the things they have an opinion about.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 10, 2016 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
What a stupid question...obviously not! There are many great mainstream anime such as FMAB, Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Fate/Zero etc.
Mar 10, 2016 9:19 AM

Jun 2012
SonosheeChan said:
What a stupid question...obviously not! There are many great mainstream anime such as FMAB, Baccano, Cowboy Bebop, Fate/Zero etc.

Those two aren't mainstream. Especially Baccano.
OldBayFanMar 10, 2016 10:36 AM
Mar 10, 2016 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Kaimon said:
SonosheeChan said:

Those two aren't mainstream at all. Especially Baccano.

Both have over 300,000 members on MAL...do you even know what mainstream is? What proper anime fan hasn't heard of Baccano or Fate/Zero?
Kaimon said:
SonosheeChan said:

Those two aren't mainstream at all. Especially Baccano.

Both of those have 300,000+ users on MAL...do you even know what mainstream? What proper anime fan hasn't heard of those two? Not mainstream is like Space Brothers which only has 60,000 MAL users...
Mar 10, 2016 10:29 AM

Feb 2015
It's no better or worse than non-mainstream anime... just more popular.
Mar 10, 2016 11:12 AM

Jun 2012
SonosheeChan said:

Both of those have 300,000+ users on MAL...do you even know what mainstream? What proper anime fan hasn't heard of those two?

Fate got a good amount of buzz when UBW was airing but it never got as huge as KLK or FMA, the average anime fan wouldn't even know what it is if you brought it up in conversation. Baccano has a cult following in the west but it was a known flop and never got half as popular as Durarara or other big Aniplex titles.
Mar 10, 2016 11:31 AM

Mar 2015
Kaimon said:
SonosheeChan said:

Both of those have 300,000+ users on MAL...do you even know what mainstream? What proper anime fan hasn't heard of those two?

Fate got a good amount of buzz when UBW was airing but it never got as huge as KLK or FMA, the average anime fan wouldn't even know what it is if you brought it up in conversation. Baccano has a cult following in the west but it was a known flop and never got half as popular as Durarara or other big Aniplex titles.
dude, i don't know waht you are smoking, but fate/zero is based one of most succesful vn up to date. not to mention their average disc sale more than 50k disc sales. how the fuck they are not popular? for compariosn, klk "only" sell around 11 k. i don't know how much baccano light novel has which is more important than anime, but baccano disc sales is not bad around 3k. maybe @Zefyris know something since he ln reader. but they are popular enough to get game adapatation, that's for sure.
Mar 10, 2016 11:40 AM

Jun 2012
Kuma said:
not to mention their average disc sale more than 50k disc sales. how the fuck they are not popular? for comparison, klk "only" sell around 11 k..

I'm primarily talking about the US.
Mar 10, 2016 11:44 AM

Mar 2015
Kaimon said:
Kuma said:
not to mention their average disc sale more than 50k disc sales. how the fuck they are not popular? for comparison, klk "only" sell around 11 k..

I'm primarily talking about the US.
us populaity doesn't mean shit. even european more care about anime than america.
Mar 10, 2016 12:07 PM

Apr 2013
Kuma said:
Kaimon said:

dude, i don't know waht you are smoking, but fate/zero is based one of most succesful vn up to date. not to mention their average disc sale more than 50k disc sales. how the fuck they are not popular? for compariosn, klk "only" sell around 11 k. i don't know how much baccano light novel has which is more important than anime, but baccano disc sales is not bad around 3k. maybe @Zefyris know something since he ln reader. but they are popular enough to get game adapatation, that's for sure.

Funny you're mentionning my name with baccano and sales, since a few minutes before I was just talking about the baccano's novels' sales.

baccano's LN is a failure sales wise. It's bellow 5k it seems nowadays whereas look at Durarara sales. Durarara is very successful.
The difference is so big that we're stuck at volume 21 of baccano since more than 2 years and half with no word of the author. We're only a few volumes away from the end of baccano but I'm starting to think we'll never see it. Author is publishing durarara and fate/strange fake volumes and don't seem to care about baccano any more. We just got the new volumes list for dengeki bunko for May, and another fate/strange fake from him and still nothing for baccano. volume 21 was published in october 2013. May 2016, and still no news of volume 22.
We're stuck in a cliffhanger in the middle of the climax arc of the main time period of baccano. So we're not even stuck in between two arc, mind you. And it's not just any arc, it's the climax arc (1935 arc). If the author/Editor wanted to say a bigger "fuck you there's not enough of you lots" to the fans who continued to support that series, that would be difficult imo.

So yeah, baccano doesn't sell. At all. And it's goign to sell even less now that the author is not writing them lol. either 0 if he doesn't write a new one, or less than it was selling before since long pause like that are usually very bad for sales.
Mar 10, 2016 12:13 PM

Dec 2012
The thread is about popularity within the western anime community. I don't think something is mainstream if it doesn't get recognize by non-anime fans. Baccano and F/Z definitely don't.

Baccano is not popular in Japan either. Durarara overshadows it.
Mar 10, 2016 12:16 PM

Mar 2015
Zefyris said:
Kuma said:

Funny you're mentionning my name with baccano and sales, since a few minutes before I was just talking about the baccano's novels' sales.

baccano's LN is a failure sales wise. It's bellow 5k it seems nowadays whereas look at Durarara sales. Durarara is very successful.
The difference is so big that we're stuck at volume 21 of baccano since more than 2 years and half with no word of the author. We're only a few volumes away from the end of baccano but I'm starting to think we'll never see it. Author is publishing durarara and fate/strange fake volumes and don't seem to care about baccano any more. We just got the new volumes list for dengeki bunko for May, and another fate/strange fake from him and still nothing for baccano. volume 21 was published in october 2013. May 2016, and still no news of volume 22.
We're stuck in a cliffhanger in the middle of the climax arc of the main time period of baccano. So we're not even stuck in between two arc, mind you. And it's not just any arc, it's the climax arc (1935 arc). If the author/Editor wanted to say a bigger "fuck you there's not enough of you lots" to the fans who continued to support that series, that would be difficult imo.

So yeah, baccano doesn't sell. At all. And it's goign to sell even less now that the author is not writing them lol. either 0 if he doesn't write a new one, or less than it was selling before since long pause like that are usually very bad for sales.
that's very sad to heard for fans. lol. and some pople still asking for baccano sequel.....
tsudecimo said:
The thread is about popularity within the western anime community. I don't think something is mainstream if it doesn't get recognize by non-anime fans. Baccano and F/Z definitely don't.

Baccano is not popular in Japan either. Durarara overshadows it.
wait, fate/zero not booming in western? that's new for me to hear since ubw has big fuss... so i though zero are same.

op not mention which popularity thou. just popularity in general.
Oct 17, 2016 9:59 AM

Aug 2015
Not really ,I enjoy watching mainstream anime...

Oct 17, 2016 10:11 AM

Feb 2016
to making fun. what else? act like they dislikes something popular in order to look smart, cool, and different

my thought about mainstream anime: it's not that bad, but there's few titles that i dislike
Oct 17, 2016 10:22 AM
Dec 2011
Junk food is bad for you, but you're still going to eat. Why? because you enjoy it. The same can be said about anime. Anime and food are quite similar. We all have our taste in such. So what if this anime's crap? So what if this food is unhealthy? I'm going to sit here, I'm going to watch it, and I'm going to enjoy it. Also I'm going to sit here, I'm going to eat it, and I'm going to enjoy it. You're free to do the same.
Oct 17, 2016 10:48 AM
Jul 2018
Who came up with this stupidity? Of course it's not bad. There are bad mainstream anime, but mainstream anime is not bad. And we're talking about subjective things here.

People who hate mainstream anime because it's mainstream are one of two things:
12 year old kids
Stupid

Sorry.
Oct 17, 2016 10:51 AM
Jun 2014
If I enjoy it - it's good, doesn't matter if it's mainstream or not, I don't care.
Nov 12, 2016 11:51 AM

Jun 2015
When I talk about anime irl people usually say that ''I should watch better anime'' or that ''I have shit taste''.

I just wanted to ask you guys:
I just like those shows, I can't do anything about it XD. It's my taste so what's wrong with liking certain anime.

So what's wrong about liking mainstream anime? and is it wrong?
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Nov 12, 2016 11:52 AM

Sep 2015
Is it wrong to like what you like? That should be obivious af.

Also, mainstream anime is mainstream for a reason. It appeals to a big audience.
Nov 12, 2016 11:53 AM

Aug 2014
Yes, it is wrong to like mainstream anime; if you like anything that is not niche and unknown, you are, by default, a pleb.
Nov 12, 2016 11:54 AM

Feb 2015
As long as you don't drop the gun and bashin' people around you...
Nov 12, 2016 11:56 AM

Feb 2013
I want to be a cool guy like Date Yutaka so i only watch (actually) mainstream anime like Sazae San
Nov 12, 2016 11:57 AM

Mar 2016
Well I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with it per say...

Just that it makes you an irredeemable casual.
Nov 12, 2016 12:00 PM

May 2015
No, nothing's wrong with it. It's your taste, taste is subjective blah blah blah.
@TheDeadApostle How does it?
Nov 12, 2016 12:01 PM

Sep 2015
There's nothing wrong with it, it's just that you can usually find something you'll like better if you explore.

Why watch hundreds of episodes week by week when there are thousands of options that could appeal to you more?

Rarity is Best Pony!
Nov 12, 2016 12:03 PM

Jul 2015
they are more entertaining than some shitty unpopular ones
Nov 12, 2016 12:04 PM

Mar 2016
Fang said:
No, nothing's wrong with it. It's your taste, taste is subjective blah blah blah.
@TheDeadApostle How does it?

Don't pay attention to me. I'm just shitposting.
Nov 12, 2016 12:04 PM

Feb 2016
It is not just wrong. It is an atrocity.
Nov 12, 2016 12:05 PM

Sep 2015
yes watching mainstream is bad, and you should feeel bad
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Nov 12, 2016 12:08 PM

Sep 2012
Well technically it is not wrong but it is indeed a sin.
Nov 12, 2016 12:12 PM
Jul 2018

Not at all. I love some KyoAni shows, though it's not what I usually look for.
Nov 12, 2016 12:27 PM
Sep 2015
Well, you're in a sense restricting your taste in anime....
Nov 12, 2016 12:37 PM

Mar 2016
Nope, there's nothing wrong with having an opinion.

Doesn't mean that what you like is good though, I've mostly watched mainstream stuff so far and I only found a handful of it good.

Nov 12, 2016 12:56 PM
Dec 2013
Of course it isn't. Fullmetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop fall under mainstream anime, and those shows are always highly rated. Don't know why there's such a stigma with the phrase "mainstream anime".
Nov 12, 2016 12:59 PM

Dec 2012
Mainstream anime are usually popular because they're fairly good, I don't see anything wrong with liking good shows. I don't think one should limit themselves to just popular mainstream stuff though, you can also find good stuff by wandering off the beaten path too.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Nov 12, 2016 1:00 PM

Jul 2014
Don't worry about it. You're already a filthy pleb if you watch anime
Nov 12, 2016 1:01 PM

Mar 2014
Mainstream are popular for a reason. Of course, there are some series that may or maybe not better, but mainstream series are actually good or are charismatic enough to keep you watching/reading them.
Pages (16) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 🐱‍👤✨Naruto Hand Seals Are Based On Buddhism?!

Metabee177 - 9 hours ago

6 by alshu »»
3 minutes ago

» Shoujo anime

Daniellaaa - 9 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - May 29

36 by rohan121 »»
4 minutes ago

» Most unexpected cameo

JoeChip - 22 minutes ago

2 by Daviljoe193 »»
10 minutes ago

» Most Overrated Shonen Anime/Manga ( 1 2 )

Kuchiki_Johnny - Oct 8, 2023

72 by JoeChip »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.