Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 29, 2016 1:45 AM
Apr 2013
For me, i like the original ones.

I'm trying to like Sunshine, but every episode of it reminds me of u's. I actually hope the writers to be more creative and exepriment more with the chara's personalities. Aquor's girls design are cute and likeable, but the personalities are mix of the u's personalities. I have to agree to some people that the show doesn't have identity. I know this is franchise, so there would be some similarity with the original. But that doesn't have to be "almost" copying plot and the girls personalities.

Sunshine is better in terms of CG and performance. For music, i still prefers u's. Aquor's songs are bland except for the OP and ED.
Aug 30, 2016 6:49 PM

Aug 2010
Is this even a question?

It's obvious that Sunshine gets a much better production from a better budget coming off the success of Muse. That didn't save Sunshine from being totally unoriginal with bad writing.

The Original had its faults (forced drama, bad cgi), but it was about starting from literally nothing and going to the top and Muse did just that both in the anime and in reality.

Sunshine's characters aren't unlikable, they just don't have the same chemistry as Muse, but this is more of a personal taste and a no season 2 yet thing. The Original however did have more touching moments in its story and better member inductions. Sunshine has objectively worse writing with mediocre new member moments and story progression, which I will get to below. Just compare with how for the majority of Sunshine "who is Kanan?" was the joke while the Original had all nine of them appearing and playing roles consistently. The forced drama was kept as we just saw with the third year's home-brewed drama.

Sunshine began at a bad time. The producers ended Muse in a bold move, but then they were forced, either by themselves, higher ups or investors, to start the next group while the Love Live franchise was still at its peak of success and also at a time when all the fans were still hung onto Muse and the disbandment. So instead of detaching Aquors from Muse, every major development of Sunshine referred to Muse. This appeasement of the fans really prevents anyone from taking Aquors as an original, stand-alone group. The Muse catering is also ironic when Muse themselves never appear due to reasons but their merch and everything are still everywhere.

What is Sunshine/Aquors? To be like Muse. Even the rumor of the school closing refers to Muse. Superficially Aquors may seem better but it has no depth that Muse had which gave Muse its success. When you have to refer to the Original for everything you can't be better or stand beside the Original.
“A grown man does not apologize. It lowers the value of his soul.”
-Araragi Koyomi
Sep 5, 2016 3:50 PM

Nov 2007
I like how at the beginning of the thread people tried to compare 2 seasons + movie + multiple drama CDs + other stuff in 6 years vs 2 PVs + 1-3 episodes.
Wait until at least season one finishes, geez...
Sep 5, 2016 5:37 PM

May 2012
The original is obviously the better crafted story from start to finish, but its not a easy series to live up to. Could they really have satisfied fans of the original with a totally brand new story like Idolmaster Cinderella Girls tried to do? Odds are no, but they certainly did not try either. They took the safe route.

I think they made the right choice in making it very similar to the original, but with a new cast and theme, while making general improvements to the core of the series aka the music and character design.

Sunshine and the original are heavily intertwined because of this, unlike what Cinderella Girls did to Idolmaster.(Created two mostly unconnected series that are the exact same subject matter but under a different name for essentially no reason other then the lack of quality and fan connection with Cinderella Girls)

This is Love Live, they know that and embraced it and really the core Love Live fanbase has too.

I think people overblow the original, and try and water down Sunshine. I dont find the characters to be clones, similarities and throwbacks to group dynamic from the original are certainly there but to be honest its just not a big deal. The characters are lovable, its fun, the drama has been fine for the scenario at hand I think its a great addition to the Love Live universe because its so similar to the original, yet not at all, which is clear by a lot of peoples disdain. I see it as the desert to the hearty meal that was the original Love Live, and deserts are optional.
Sep 12, 2016 10:33 AM
Sep 2011
I prefer Sunshine and Aqours by a lot. Again my Muse experience is more on the game and not so much the anime or seiyuus. But for Aqours? I am literally ready to love all of them. I'm probably don't count as a Muse fan as I barely remember either season of Love Live but maybe it's just I watched it too long ago.

Again, LLSS has been my favorite anime of the season so I am super biased. I have no problems with the whole "where is Kanan?" or the focus on the third years happening after half of the anime began since the first and second years had to figure out how to start being school idols on their own.

Another thing I really liked about Sunshine is how it's not always 3 or 9 and they work with however many people they have which gives more room for variety in choreography.

I honestly think that the way Chika, Ruby, and Dia adore and look up to Muse is adorable. As a fangirl of idols I can relate.

I really appreciate whoever handles line distribution/scripting because 9 girls is a lot. My problem with idol anime with so many girls is that it's hard balancing time for everyone, even if they're not the focus of the episode. But with Sunshine, even when they're 9, the episode usually focuses on 2 to 3 girls but all the other girls have their own moment either in a single line or popping up or doing something in the background. Yohane and Mari both have great voices but they're also so likeable for the most random scenes.

As for the whole Chika vs Honoka, Chika wins for me. I felt like Honoka was too desperate and a bit controlling? I didn't really feel bad during Honoka's breakdown but again fuzzy memory of LL. I like how Chika knew that swimming was You's thing and didn't force You to join and You decided to join for her own reasons (and they might be one of the most adorable childhood duos). Chika's breakdown was resolved better but I guess I just didn't feel like there had to be a long drama for that. I prefer the way Sunshine handles conflicts. Especially the piano conflict of episode 10 and 11. Though I suppose it would be sort of equivalent to the Kotori drama?

I never really forgave Eli for being against a school idol club but I feel like Dia's reasoning, reaction and redemption worked better. I also never really fell in love with the third years of Muse beside Nico for aesthetic, but episode 9 of LLSS made me fall in love with the third years. I also feel like the third years of Aqours are better senpais/older sisters? Though Dia and Nozomi are more of moms hehe. I was actually surprised by Mari's older sister moment in episode 11 because while she does have Nozomi-like moments in the anime, she's also just Mari and when it's not joke she's good at giving honest advice.

One other difference I can think of between LL and LLSS is that Sunshine has a lot of flashbacks and the connection/transition between these flashbacks to the current setting was something that I enjoyed. But I suppose this could be a hit or miss?

I feel like there's a really big discourse on the "need to save school by becoming famous school idols but the student council president refuses to say yes" but again I prefer Sunshine's way of following the trope but also not quite? Dia's reason for saying no is a lot more relevant in my opinion rather than Eli's "I used to dance and honestly you guys aren't super great at dancing" but maybe I missed out on Eli's reasoning? And realistically (but again when is anime actually realistic oops) a small town by the sea would have the "we don't have enough students we either need to merge or shut down" problem. Chika's beginning of the "I want to be a school idol and shine" is mostly a mix of being a fangirl, wanting to be really really dedicated and passionate about one thing, and finding out if someone who is normal can be able to shine rather than purely "I love the school and I must save it." If anything I find the whole scene in LLSS on "our school is going to die" completely hilarious. In the timeline of the LLSS world the "idol to save the school" problem and how different characters contribute to the almost solution is more interesting to me.

I did like A-Rise and Muse's friendship rivalry though! I'm not sure if Saint Snow and Aqours will ever have a friendship like that but I can settle for Aqours enjoying Saint Snow's performance.

My way of thinking about plot similarities for LL and LLSS (Honoka-Chika, 2nd years begin, school council president says no, school shuts down, win Love Live be famous) is that it's like the same type of pasta but how they work with that and how each character contributes would be a different "sauce" and I just prefer Aqours personally. (Also Aqours wins for anime specific songs and dance animation but I feel like that was already established since 2 years is plenty of time to improve animation)
Sep 15, 2016 11:11 PM

May 2012
Diasparkle said:
As for the whole Chika vs Honoka, Chika wins for me. I felt like Honoka was too desperate and a bit controlling? I didn't really feel bad during Honoka's breakdown but again fuzzy memory of LL. I like how Chika knew that swimming was You's thing and didn't force You to join and You decided to join for her own reasons (and they might be one of the most adorable childhood duos). Chika's breakdown was resolved better but I guess I just didn't feel like there had to be a long drama for that. I prefer the way Sunshine handles conflicts. Especially the piano conflict of episode 10 and 11. Though I suppose it would be sort of equivalent to the Kotori drama?

I agreed with pretty much every aspect of the post. Especially this. I honestly feel bad for people who think Chika is a Honoka clone, there is so much more to her. The focus on comparing these two all the time often turns into talking about how many flaws Honoka has which I feel is just a bonus credit to the original series because its what made it so great. Honoka was not perfect at all but she realistic did inspire and rally the group, while just being human. Chika looks a lot like her, and they both share that super determination but they are really quite very different but I find Chika to be the funner and more interesting of the two.
Sep 16, 2016 2:32 AM
Sep 2011
Alienshroom said:

I agreed with pretty much every aspect of the post. Especially this. I honestly feel bad for people who think Chika is a Honoka clone, there is so much more to her. The focus on comparing these two all the time often turns into talking about how many flaws Honoka has which I feel is just a bonus credit to the original series because its what made it so great. Honoka was not perfect at all but she realistic did inspire and rally the group, while just being human. Chika looks a lot like her, and they both share that super determination but they are really quite very different but I find Chika to be the funner and more interesting of the two.

I may have been a bit too harsh saying that Honoka was more desperate/controlling. Both girls aren't meant to be similar besides being a suitable leader for their respective groups. While a leader switch for a bonus fan episode or fan comic would be adorable, both Honoka and Chika are wonderful leaders for their own group. I will say that Honoka/Muse do deserve the title of being The School Idol Group of All Time since beginning a specific type of genre (both in the LL world and irl) is definitely an accomplishment. I suppose in the end, the whole Honoka vs Chika debate is just a matter of preference, but to me the whole question of which girl is a better leader is kind of pointless as they both lead their own group in their own way :)
Sep 23, 2016 9:03 AM

Jan 2016
Everything is better in Sunshine: the songs(Dreamer becoming one of my favorite song of all time), the characters(they have a more interesting characterization) and the 3d is nice to look at.
Sep 23, 2016 1:06 PM

Mar 2010
Sunshine.

My biggest problem with LL was that for an anime so focused on characters, I found none likeable. Umi was pathetic, Honoka annoying, Niko ridiculous and the rest had almost no presence or personality. Forming the group felt forced and the characters were very artificial. I enjoyed LL but I felt like it was more about going after dreams than characters even though the plot didn't really emphasise it (saving school was the primary goal, reaching LL secondary). It just felt like it could have been much more in every aspect.

As for Sunshine, I love the characters, they feel more real and the group seems less forced and more natural. Conflicts are solved in a realistic mature way instead of drama and the whole thing is about following dreams and figuring out what they really want.

Though, I do find songs in Sunshine lacing compared to original but I truly started enjoying those in second season so judging it here might be a bit unfair.
Sep 23, 2016 4:00 PM
Jan 2016
For me, I still like LL! more (for now) and it was thanks to everything they brought to the table. Sunshine!! took a lot of references to the first series since they worked, but I feel that ended up handicapping the potential of Aquors.

Regarding the music, I feel is the strongest point of Aquors. The voices of all nine girls match perfectly, the melodies are good and funky, and I think the girls in Aquors have a better vocal performance than the girls of µ's. With some of µ's songs, I usually like to listen to them for their melodies and the example that first comes to mind to me are Kitto Seishun ga Kikoeru, Happy Maker! and START:DASH!!, but with Aquors it is different, I like hearing their voices and it is a huge plus. I'd love to hear Aquors singing some of µ's iconic songs like Snow Halation for example, I'm sure their voices would be gorgeous with a song like that.

Regarding the character designs, I think that's subjective. Personally there are some designs I love and some designs I don't like too much. In LL! I was in love with Kotori, Maki and Hanayo's design, but I felt Umi's design a little pale. In Sunshine!! I love Ruby, You, Yoshiko and Riko's design, but Mari's design doesn't convince me at all yet.

The CGI and overall animation are better in Sunshine!! as expected, but I don't think I can compare that. After all one had a better budget and the other one was done years ago.

Taking so many references to µ's was playing it safe from part of Sunrise and it worked, but as I said, I think it handicapped Aquors potential. The girls were introduced with their backstory so we can learn more about them and see a little bit of character development, but it hardly matters since they all seem to react the same to every scenario, which I'm not gonna say that is definitely a bad thing, but it harms the characters uniqueness, something that was also one of the flaws of µ's in LL!.

I was somehow disappointed throughout the season because of that. I want Aquors to be unique in their own way as µ's was but having them behind µ's shadow was not the way to do that.

HOWEVER, when Chika finally noticed that they should form their own path to their dreams instead of following the path of µ's, I felt my hopes coming back. I still trust Sunshine!! and Aquors since it has the potential to grow now that they have stepped out of µ's shadow, and that is what I want to see. I don't want a group reminding me of µ's, I want a group that can stand on its own and bring new emotions as we see them grow.

So until now, Sunshine!! has yet to begin for me. I think this was more like a warm-up, trying to stablish the group as they did with µ's. Aquors has potential to be even better and I'll trust in them, but for now, as of the 12th episode of the anime series, I still liked LL! anime's better.
BluetearsXSep 23, 2016 4:11 PM
Sep 23, 2016 4:25 PM

Aug 2012
I think it's unfair to compare them this early on. We have 2 seasons + movie for SIP when Sunshine is yet to finish its S1; we don't even know if we'll have more than 2 seasons. No matter how much you'll deny it, you'll have biases which will render you unable to give an objective opinion on the matter.

But what can we expect from Sunshine? Better overall production quality. The animation has been solid; excluding the CGs, better authors to handle the storyboard and a bigger budget on music production.

In terms of characters and music, it all comes down to subjectivity; it'll really be hard to provide objective points that'll do well with everyone. For example, some people here are claiming that Aqours is a carbon copy; I fully disagree. While there are similarities, it's apparent for me that the writers made sure to make them unique on their own. And with Sunshine's ep 12, that idea got more reinforced. They aren't simply chasing after muse which most of us claim initially.

But think about it, would it better for the franchise to put these 2 together against each other? Or would it be better for fans to like them both on equal terms?
julyanSep 23, 2016 4:28 PM
Sep 23, 2016 4:35 PM
May 2016
HikaruIzumi said:
Sunshine.

My biggest problem with LL was that for an anime so focused on characters, I found none likeable. Umi was pathetic, Honoka annoying, Niko ridiculous and the rest had almost no presence or personality. Forming the group felt forced and the characters were very artificial. I enjoyed LL but I felt like it was more about going after dreams than characters even though the plot didn't really emphasise it (saving school was the primary goal, reaching LL secondary). It just felt like it could have been much more in every aspect.

As for Sunshine, I love the characters, they feel more real and the group seems less forced and more natural. Conflicts are solved in a realistic mature way instead of drama and the whole thing is about following dreams and figuring out what they really want.

Though, I do find songs in Sunshine lacing compared to original but I truly started enjoying those in second season so judging it here might be a bit unfair.

I think the exactly opposite XD, except for Mari,Dia and Yoshiko, in my opinion all the other girls are less memorable than their muse counterparts. The drama is also way more forced than in the original(they tried to make chuunibyou look like a serious thing LOL). But for me the worst thing in sunshine was aquors objective of being like muse instead of being themselves, and since they tried to do that during the whole season, for now the original is better.
Sep 23, 2016 8:44 PM

Aug 2014
Still the Original.
The Original has Kotori (・8・)
Sep 24, 2016 3:36 AM

Aug 2011
Without original there is no sunshine
Sep 24, 2016 10:28 PM

Aug 2012
C'mon, what's with all this hate to Honoka?
I still prefer having 9 honks as Aquors members rather than a single Chika in it.
At least they won't make me cringe as much.

After watching the Final Live concert, it will always be Muse all the way.
Sep 24, 2016 11:29 PM
Jul 2015
I know the Love Live comunity will consider me an heretic for saying this, but i think sunshine is better, and the main reason for it is how the original show handled the drama, it just had too much of it...Sunshine in the other hand had some very serious conflicts while still managing to keep it lighthearted, dunno how many feels awaits us in the next season, but i hope it keeps the same formula.
About the originality of the show, i didn´t really see the issue in reusing some assets from the original show for nostalgia sake, mainly because it wasn´t as overused as people make it to be. I did think Sunshine was extremely diferent from the original series.
The girls have pretty original character designs and i personally liked most of the sunshines more than the muses...except for Umi, for me she will always be the one and only supreme waifu and best of all girls.
Sep 24, 2016 11:44 PM

Mar 2014
Greatest anime recap of all time. Check it out

TL;DR Sunshine!! is the result of the creators' self-worthiness wanking and original > Sunshine
cowoknakal said:
C'mon, what's with all this hate to Honoka?
I still prefer having 9 honks as Aquors members rather than a single Chika in it.

After watching the Final Live concert, it will always be Muse all the way.
Yeah, what's up with all the hate for Honoka? I mean, she was pretty bland, but Chika is just a copy + paste of Honoka and Nico with an ADHD twist
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 25, 2016 3:53 AM

Jan 2010
Well I have to say the original. Sunshine never worked on me simply because what worked on me with the original was the characters. And well here I barely can stand any of them, especially Chika who is just cringe worthy to me. I know she is kinda like Honoka but I dunno Honoka way was less annoying to me. The only character I liked was You otherwise the rest of the cast was a bunch of boring expy of the original, even the plot was basically the same so yea no its not because the animation is a tad better that I will be more kind with the show its still a mere copy past to me. Rated it 5/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2016 7:00 AM

Aug 2013
cowoknakal said:

100% agree with this.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 25, 2016 7:09 AM

Aug 2012
Comic_Sans said:
Yeah, what's up with all the hate for Honoka? I mean, she was pretty bland, but Chika is just a copy + paste of Honoka and Nico with an ADHD twist

rsc-pl said:

100% agree with this.

Ikr, faito-dayo ftw.
Sep 25, 2016 7:50 AM

Jul 2009
So having finished the series (what a ride) and having re watched the first season of the original at the same time, I feel like elements of sunshine could have been better, for example the whole third year trio thing I feel like could be adapted into an OVA as a side story. Also with sunshine, being teased with Step! Zero to One was a bit annoying but I still love their music.

In regards to the original, I feel like the story telling was better in the first season as compared to support shine, but again the music was not a great. There was a since of urgency to keep the school open while in sunshine they just kinda did what ever. I feel like the original was more focused around the school while sunshine was supposed to be focused around the members and their sturggles

Over all, I can appreciate both and praying for a second season of sunshine. Also in regards to all the honoka/chika hate, I am indifferent towards both..
Denmark-ChanSep 25, 2016 8:01 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2016 8:08 AM

Jun 2013
Anime wise, I like SS better. The character development is much better here than the original. Though it's been quite a while since i saw the original, so take everything I'll say with a grain of salt.

I watched the first season of the original for no good reason, and I didn't really enjoyed it. The pacing was weird and the characters felt kinda flat and one dimensional. Some of the main cast didn't even get a proper character development in the first season, iirc. Though i did play SIF so i got a lot more attached to the characters through that.

Aqours felt a much more fleshed out, and all the members got enough development so that i actually cared about them by the end of the season. Of course I'm not gonna love all the characters, but everyone probably has that one member they don't really care about. I just don't like Chuunis and Rice Maniacs, but that's just personal preference really.

The original's first season ended on a sour note for me with μ's getting disqualified just so that there'll be a second season. Well at least that's that's how I felt. Aqours ended their's in a much better way in my opinion, in which they're amidst the competition and continuing the rest of the competition next season is the next logical step. By not focusing on the competition too much, they got plenty of time to develop their characters as well.

The characters feels different enough that they never felt like a μ's clone at all. Of course some of the Aqours girls fills the same role as some of the μ's girls, but It's not enough to annoy me.

My major gripe with SS is the "Saving the school" motive. That's way too lazy in my book. 9 girls trying to stop their school from shutting down by becoming school idols. That's μ's (μ's's?) thing. Thankfully their other motives are to not live an ordinary life (at least Chika) and to show that their beloved town is much better than what people might think. Luckily those other motives are shown much more than the "Saving the school" one, but just a mention of it ticks me off.

As for the mention of μ's and the franchise stroking it's own ego bit, I don't really mind it. They never glorify μ's so much that it felt too much for me and Aqours being inspired to be school idols because of μ's actually works decently. I could understand if other people felt that Aqours is piggybacking off μ's, but I never felt that way.

SS has overall better music (personal preference), better art, and better CGI animations. But those are to be expected with the much bigger budget and all.

Overall, Love Live, to me, is a franchise that keeps getting better with each newly introduced series up till now. LLSS>LLMOVIE>LL2>LL1. With all that said, I love both series equally.
HarotarosSep 28, 2016 9:55 PM
Sep 25, 2016 8:42 AM
Nov 2013
Sunshine!! was definitely better than the original first season in my opinion. I think they took the strengths of original season 2 (better characterisation, less forced drama, more emotional focus, etc) & used them in a group origin story and it worked really well. The season wasn't lerfect (the early reliance on Muse being my main gripe) but the end of the season where they realised they need to follow their own path has me excited for season 2. I think Sunshine!! was a sort of transition season & Sunshine!! season 2 will be where Aqours can truly shine.
Sep 25, 2016 10:17 AM

Apr 2009
I can't really decide because for me muse has way better songs but sunshine has better characters. Sunshine's song are good but it's not muse's level imo. I think I'll wait for LL Sunshine S2 and then I'll choose which team is better.
Sep 25, 2016 12:06 PM

Mar 2012
To be honest I didn't really wanted to start on Sunshine at first because all of the characters looked like lovechildren from some of the original love live characters.
But boy did that change!!

To be frank I found the original Love Live anime to be extremely boring and while I came to actually like Rin (I started off by playing the School Idol Festival App and didn't really like her) I came to hate Honoka like there was no tomorrow!
To be honest she's extremely Mary Sue and bugged me a lot u-u...
While some of the characters had some complexes and flaws she never really had any except that she simply just 'wanted to do a good job too much' and that annoyed me till the very end.
Also! It was ALWAYS Honoka pulling the rest of the group up!

So when I saw Chika and saw that she admired Honoka I felt like giving up on this anime the moment I started... but for some reason I stayed... And I honestly think it was just to see Yohane.
But as the anime got more episodes, things started to change.
As things didn't really went all that well for them Chika came to show some of her frustrations and hidden thoughts! We came to learn that Chika do in fact worry a lot about the fact that it didn't really go all that well for them and that she do get frustrated like the rest of them! And we got to know that she feels a responsibility to be happy and positive no matter how bad things goes because she's the one who started the group.
She got to show so many sides of herself which actually made me come to even LIKE her! (Which is HUGE knews cause I honestly started off hating her!)

Also! It bugged me so much that everything always went so easily for the original Love Live group and I found it to be very refreshing that things didnt really go all that well for the Aqours group!
I also really liked that it had a pretty even mix of chika pulling the group up and the group pulling chika up! The characters felt a lot more even with each other that way and that was truely really refreshing!

Also! Song wise I like Aqours better. I think their voices compliment each other a lot better and there's not really anyone who I think sings all that badly < 3

So long story short.
I really think that the original Love Live anime is nowhere near as good as the Love Live Sunshine anime is! I really think that they learned a lot from the original Love Live anime! Be it both Story, characters and songwise! (With that said. I still really do like Kotori, Hanayo, Nico and Rin < 3)

Sorry if my english sounds a bit strange uvu'
And sorry if I sounded rude!
Kitty-RenemiSep 25, 2016 12:16 PM
Sep 25, 2016 9:29 PM

Mar 2013
Why not both. Loyal fan should support both.
Sep 26, 2016 4:59 AM
Oct 2014
I like Sunshine S1 better than the original S1, all of character are likable, and the drama is handled just fine, not too much. And the OP and ED for me is superior though, but somehow no song in Sunshine moves me like the first time I listened to Start:Dash

The only criticism I have iss too much on Chika and Riko, every time Chika have troubles, it's always Riko on her side comforting her, and every time Riko have troubles, it's always Chika on her side comforting her... There are 9 members you know, why don't they give other a chance to support or comfort Chika/Riko, I feel like the others don't connect well with Riko especially, that's whyfor me even though each member of Aqours is more interesting than u's, but the dynamic between members is not as good as u's

Still season 1 I know, I think just like the original, the season 2 will become much better
mbahamoodSep 26, 2016 9:12 AM
Sep 28, 2016 6:53 AM
Jun 2016
mbahamood said:
I like Sunshine S1 better than the original S1, all of character are likable, and the drama is handled just fine, not too much. And the OP and ED for me is superior though, but somehow no song in Sunshine moves me like the first time I listened to Start:Dash

The only criticism I have iss too much on Chika and Riko, every time Chika have troubles, it's always Riko on her side comforting her, and every time Riko have troubles, it's always Chika on her side comforting her... There are 9 members you know, why don't they give other a chance to support or comfort Chika/Riko, I feel like the others don't connect well with Riko especially, that's whyfor me even though each member of Aqours is more interesting than u's, but the dynamic between members is not as good as u's

Still season 1 I know, I think just like the original, the season 2 will become much better

You've basically written a slice of my own mind regarding Sunshine. Regarding Chika and Riko, I think with a cast this large there's always bound to be some focus on certain characters and their relationships with each other. Aside from Chika/Riko, I feel the third-years are always depicted as one, as well as Hanamaru and Ruby. The ending even depicts this on the cards. (You and Yohane together as the rejects? It's joke!)

But deep down I believe they all care for each other equally and share the same goal.
Oct 3, 2016 10:30 AM
Oct 2015
I just watched episode 9 of Sunshine and I can't believe so many people give this show a hard time. If you like the OG more thats one thing (though I would disagree) but to outright give this show a 4 or 5 like I've seen is hard to imagine. I think this show handles drama so much better and I'm much more emotionally invested with these nine then the prior. Chika is SO much more interesting and compelling the Honkers. What was the hardest thing Honoka went through? Getting a cold. After working their buts off and getting a chance to perform in Tokyo Aquors gets crushed by coming in dead last and not getting a single vote. Chika though frustrated and utterly defeated tries being strong as the leader to give her team hope. Of course this is an unhealthy way to deal with this and by the end of the episode she breaks down into a sobbing mess. When does the original EVER have character writing like that? And I like the OG its fun, entertaining and overall a good time but the dramatic moments of that show always felt unearned and melodramatic at best. Also the production as whole shits on the original.
Oct 3, 2016 4:40 PM
Sep 2009
I think you completely missed the beginning where no one came to Honoka's first life and she had to pull through it while Chika got support of whole town after she broke down and gave up.

It's not that hard to be motivated when you have whole town backing you up and experienced 3rd years ready to give a push from the shadows. Honoka was on her own with just two friends to get them going. She required far more initial effort than Chika, it was only right for Chika to experience some bumps to make up for quiet smooth start.

For a while Sunshine was bluntly copying original material and extremely exaggerating it. Like who on earth makes a student a school headmistress? Who almost falls out of the window to do a handshake of friendship? Nico was exaggerated? I'm sorry but there is barely a second when Yohane does not do something crazy.

No over forced drama? Than what exactly happened between Mari and Kanan? Cause that was extremely forced. All of that drama could've been avoided.

Don't get me wrong, sunshine did manage to deliver some great moments and the further show went the more stand alone it became but it took quiet a while for it to finally stand on it's own two legs. And it borrowed TONS from original! Of course some of the faults will be fixed. Otherwise it means creators did not learn a thing. If Sunshine came first, there would be tons of problems with it.

It might be, just might be better than original season 1 and only if you ignore the first 4 or 5 episodes that were copy paste. But not remotely close to original season 2.

For me best part of Sunshine are 3rd years and their chemistry. They are what made me go through suffering of watching first couple of episodes before series kicked off.

Sunshine also kinda has locked relationships. It's always Chika/Riko and Ruby/Dia. You was pretty much pushed to the side, no wonder she got upset. Since KanaMari conflict was fixed, Dia is almost glued with Ruby who is her sister.

In original characters were more spread out and interacting with each other far more. Sunshine has them far more locked. That's not exactly a good writing.
kitten320Oct 3, 2016 4:49 PM
Oct 3, 2016 7:05 PM

Dec 2012
Unquestionably the original, though it's far closer than I thought it would be after the first three episodes of Sunshine!!

Yes, Sunshine!! reuses a lot of plot elements from the original. Surprise, it's also about a girl who seeks to emulate µ’s and ultimately realizes that she can't seek to emulate them if she actually wants to do so. There's no way the people who made this didn't do all the rehashing intentionally - episode 12 all but admitted that it was deliberate. What seemed initially to be about following in the footsteps of success turned out to be a gradual process of breaking out of that mold.

Ultimately I think the show was successful at that transition - it ends up addressing some of the same topics in slightly different ways that complimented the original. For instance, the end of season 1 from the original has µ’s dealing with a group member leaving - Aquors deals with that as well. Twice. There's a different result all three times. That sort of specificity makes both Sunshine! and the original seem more real to me - it's about people living their lives. The answer isn't always the same.

On top of that, very few shows have made me feel trolled. After episodes 11 and 12 of Love Live! Sunshine!! I definitely felt that way, and I liked it. Troll me again, Sunrise.

I definitely like the original more though. Though it could probably stand on its' own, this is a sequel in that my favorite aspects of it rely on the existence of the first Love Live anime. I liked what they turned the plot recycling into, but it might have been excessive at times anyways. The characters were all likeable, but I felt the original did a better job of handling them evenly. I don't feel like I know Kanan at all after watching Sunshine!!, for instance, but I'm definitely attached to even the blandest member of µ’s, Kotori, because of the anime. Also, Chika isn't as good as Honoka and there is nobody in Sunshine! that really serves as her Umi.

Alienshroom said:

I'm glad there's someone who looks at this similarly; the "dessert" comparison is pretty good. However, I really don't think they took the safe route, because of how close they trod the line between "ripoff" and "good sequel."

Part of what I like about the original is the way the story is "crafted," especially in the first season. It basically is just another character-focused show about a club of girls doing silly stuff, but it has a certain structure to it that, while perhaps not necessary, was enjoyable.

MikeFromThe516 said:

The hardest thing Honoka ever deals with is believing that everything she had done was simply a nuisance to the people she cared about most. I guess if you didn't pick up on that and thought the drama at the ending of the first season was just over her getting sick, it would probably seem overblown.

Incidentally, the character writing at that part of the original is pretty similar to Chika's scenario. It's the one time Honoka really gives up and she only realizes she was wrong because everyone else is there for her. It doesn't quite take the first time through, either; she is still trying to play it safe at the start of the 2nd season despite literally everyone telling her, to her face, that what they really want is to go for it. It gave the impression that she's someone who thinks about and struggles with her issues, rather than just magically learning the lesson the first time and instinctively being able to understand how to live according to that lesson. She is still trying to promote the good and overcome the bad aspects of her fearless optimism. You know, like a real person.
Oct 4, 2016 4:27 AM

Sep 2008
The original anime is much better IMO. It felt like the charcters worked really hard and the anime actually showed them always preparing and practicing for their performances while in sunshine the characters do nothing and are able to perform somehow. It's like the whole core of the show happens off camera in sunshine.

The original also has the best characters. Though I think sunshine has a larger number of likable characters.

At least the setting in sunshine is better than the original. These seaside towns are pretty nice.
Oct 5, 2016 6:01 AM

Mar 2012
HaXXspetten said:
Sunshine is copying way too much from the original to be as impactful. While I guess you might argue that that way you know exactly what you're getting and that the diehard LL fans are pretty much guaranteed to like Sunshine too, it still severely suffers from lack of originality in the process. As a result I have a much harder time enjoying this compared to the main series

That, and also the characters in Sunshine feel very shallow somehow
There's a bit of a problem with that logic.

Since you don't see the appeal you're basically assuming people like Sunshine as much as they do because they're fans of Love Live in general. Would I be correct in assuming that? Honestly I think that's really selling the show short given how much it has going for it that the original series didn't.

I have to admit that it wasn't until Season 2 that I really got into Love Live so I basically just viewed Season 1 as a fun little seasonal distraction. A great series for sure, nothing I'd go out and waste a buttload of money on though. But even now that I've gone back and re-watched it with my current mindset I can't say Season 1 was all that great aside from a few really good scenes. Also BOY OH BOY was the drama towards the end forced.

On the other hand, I thought Sunshine was absolutely phenomenal. Not because it has what made me love the original, but because it has a ton of unique strengths that the original series doesn't have. And I can't say I expected that from Sunshine.
Oct 6, 2016 4:49 AM
Jun 2016
I would probably need to write an essay in order to convey my viewpoints on both shows, but I'll keep it short and just say that I like them both.
Oct 15, 2016 1:07 PM

Apr 2015
Does sunshine has Umi?

Nope? ok moving on.

-Mastergold
Oct 18, 2016 1:58 AM
Nov 2013
After watching the anime i was completely let down by the anime. The whole anime was a basically riding on the hype train of of muse legacy.
I personally feel the songs were nice. However, the character designs and personality were copy and pasted from muse members. Even though my favorite girl is Ruby, she is basically someone with Maki's hair colour, and hanayo's personalty.
However the opening song for the anime ozora jumping heart was good, i feel that it is inspired by bokura no ima no naka de.
In conclusion i fell current season is not that good of a show and should improve in the second season to give what us the viewers really deserve.
Oct 18, 2016 2:56 AM

Sep 2015
I think both have thier pros and cons. I enjoy both very much.
I was sad when with the 4.0 update of the app, Muse dissapeared for real
*sadface*
"This signature is under construction." ~Fabuubz
Oct 18, 2016 8:22 AM
Mar 2016
I love Sunshine more than Love Live 1 ...

1. Chika is a great leader. She looks mature and not being selfish. I like her more than Honoka
2. I love Aqours, they're make me getting interest again with idol
3. The storyline was so good. From getting influence by Muse, recruitment, problem with their first Love Live, and being able to move on from Muse's influence. Drama not forced and not too long. You can have same story but the way the story telling can be different.
4. I love their personality. I disagree with some people say "they are copy paste from LL 1". I can say the same thing about their personality same too as other anime.

For interaction, i like Love Live Original than Sunshine. Too much Riko and Chika, and Riko seems not having relationship with other member (I'm surprise Riko calling You at episode 11, maybe she get her number from Chika).
Oct 23, 2016 4:48 AM

Jun 2009
I love both, but I like Sunshine more. Though I could be biased cause Arisa voices Dia(Yoko Usamiiiii *~* ) but I just adore Sunshine, the music, and the characters.

Yes, the repetitive mentioning of u's does get slightly annoying, but if you look past that, Sunshine is pretty good. Chika realizes she wants to become an idol because she got inspired by, lo and behold, u's.

And yes, the whole "saving the school by being idols" thing isn't exactly original anymore, but ehh, it kinda makes sense I guess?? Their town isn't exactly big, and neither is their school, so you gotta cut them a bit of slack there.

You have been blessed by sparkly bishie Cherry Blossom <3 You're welcome ^^

Oct 23, 2016 5:06 AM

Jun 2009
Kitty-Renemi said:
To be honest I didn't really wanted to start on Sunshine at first because all of the characters looked like lovechildren from some of the original love live characters.
But boy did that change!!

To be frank I found the original Love Live anime to be extremely boring and while I came to actually like Rin (I started off by playing the School Idol Festival App and didn't really like her) I came to hate Honoka like there was no tomorrow!
To be honest she's extremely Mary Sue and bugged me a lot u-u...
While some of the characters had some complexes and flaws she never really had any except that she simply just 'wanted to do a good job too much' and that annoyed me till the very end.
Also! It was ALWAYS Honoka pulling the rest of the group up!

So when I saw Chika and saw that she admired Honoka I felt like giving up on this anime the moment I started... but for some reason I stayed... And I honestly think it was just to see Yohane.
But as the anime got more episodes, things started to change.
As things didn't really went all that well for them Chika came to show some of her frustrations and hidden thoughts! We came to learn that Chika do in fact worry a lot about the fact that it didn't really go all that well for them and that she do get frustrated like the rest of them! And we got to know that she feels a responsibility to be happy and positive no matter how bad things goes because she's the one who started the group.
She got to show so many sides of herself which actually made me come to even LIKE her! (Which is HUGE knews cause I honestly started off hating her!)

Also! It bugged me so much that everything always went so easily for the original Love Live group and I found it to be very refreshing that things didnt really go all that well for the Aqours group!
I also really liked that it had a pretty even mix of chika pulling the group up and the group pulling chika up! The characters felt a lot more even with each other that way and that was truely really refreshing!

Also! Song wise I like Aqours better. I think their voices compliment each other a lot better and there's not really anyone who I think sings all that badly < 3

So long story short.
I really think that the original Love Live anime is nowhere near as good as the Love Live Sunshine anime is! I really think that they learned a lot from the original Love Live anime! Be it both Story, characters and songwise! (With that said. I still really do like Kotori, Hanayo, Nico and Rin < 3)

Sorry if my english sounds a bit strange uvu'
And sorry if I sounded rude!

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thinking back, Honoka did seem like she was trying too hard in having u's be perfect, and her only flaws did seem like "Am I not good enough?? Are we not good enough?? We gotta try harder!" I mean, I like her, but overall she is kinda bland.

I love the fact that in Sunshine the girls hit reality hard with the fact that it'll take SO MUCH to go from zero to one. My memory might be fuzzy but I don't recall u's ever being hit with reality that hard??

I also noticed how everyone in Aquors help each other, not just leader helping everyone kinda deal. I love the bond between everyone in Sunshine. I'm also glad that the characters are indeed different from the originals(there are some similarities, but there's no doubt that the Aquors girls are not the u's girls).

Music wise, I really, really love the music in Sunshine. I adore the music in the original as well, but not as much. Both the OP themes are amazing, but Jumping Heart just seems more upbeat to me. And the visuals for their performances are definitely a step up.

I still have yet to finish the second season to the original, but I'll probably do that soon. I'm also hoping for a second season of Sunshine.

You have been blessed by sparkly bishie Cherry Blossom <3 You're welcome ^^

Nov 29, 2016 10:01 AM

Mar 2008
Sunshine has cuter girls so Sunshine for me

I still adore Kotori and Nozomi though
Nov 29, 2016 10:13 AM

Feb 2015
Sunshine is just basically the recycled part of Love Live... I'd still choose the original because, Honoka is cute, Nico is cute and Maki is just so fap material...

To be honest, I want to see a different "alternative setting" of Love Live, whereas, Eri's imouto will be the MC...
Nov 29, 2016 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
Original, Sunshine has many aspects of just being a copy-cat of it
Nov 29, 2016 5:36 PM

Feb 2015
Sakurai-sama said:

I think we already know that, is the reason why it is just an "alternative setting".
Nov 29, 2016 5:37 PM

Oct 2015
Sakurai-sama said:
I think it's better to look at it from a different perspective and not just the copied story. Like does the show have more likeable characters? or is the drama no as forced as the first season of love live? or is it more fun to watch than the first? Lots of people tend to not enjoy Sunshine because of their mentality like yours. I'm not saying love live is better but you should look at it from a different perspective.
Nov 29, 2016 6:51 PM

Feb 2015
Sakurai-sama said:

_Ako_ said:

I think we already know that, is the reason why it is just an "alternative setting".

Just saying why I prefer the original.

Don't worry dude, I get you... xD

I just think that it is somewhat pointless in the beginning why consider such things... I mean I fapped to both series... xD

So... what matter at the end?
Nov 29, 2016 9:23 PM

Jul 2009
The original and it's not even a contest
Mar 12, 2017 12:53 PM

Jun 2016
Yoshiko Tsushima is the reason why I enjoyed Sunshine more.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Mar 19, 2017 11:34 AM

Mar 2016
zurichtime said:
For me, i like the original ones.

I'm trying to like Sunshine, but every episode of it reminds me of u's. I actually hope the writers to be more creative and exepriment more with the chara's personalities. Aquor's girls design are cute and likeable, but the personalities are mix of the u's personalities. I have to agree to some people that the show doesn't have identity. I know this is franchise, so there would be some similarity with the original. But that doesn't have to be "almost" copying plot and the girls personalities.

Sunshine is better in terms of CG and performance. For music, i still prefers u's. Aquor's songs are bland except for the OP and ED.

I'm 9 episodes in, and I have to agree with this and quoting it cause summarizes my point of view. On top of that, the show doesn't empahsize or show in short segments the training sessions and hardworking part (aside from the first episodes) that go along with the drama and character development which if shown can make you appreciate their performance more.
Jan 3, 2018 10:45 PM
Jul 2018
I love Sunshine and Aqours, but μ's was the the group that started the Love Live! franchise. Even after watching the two season for Sunshine, the original will always be my fave because without the original, Aqours wouldn't even be born!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Top 5 Favorite Love Live Sunshine Girls

TomCena1114 - Mar 29, 2023

25 by Erikor »»
May 1, 6:32 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 27, 2016

142 by nanuha »»
Apr 13, 7:26 AM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 24, 2016

164 by JoJoLaRow »»
Mar 10, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Love Live! Sunshine!! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2016

214 by Kayroad »»
Dec 18, 2023 6:58 PM

Poll: » Favorite Aquors member ( 1 2 )

ya_hallo - Sep 10, 2016

70 by LemonXChio »»
Nov 7, 2023 5:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.