Forum Settings
Forums

Does your favorite anime necessarily have to be a 10/10?

New
Jun 28, 2016 12:35 PM

Nov 2015
My #1 favorite is a 9.
As in I do acknowledge it's flaws and I did feel like it stopped me from enjoying it as much as I could have, but then when I come to think about it, it's the anime that I adore the most and that's what I talk about all the time.
Despite having seen better anime, which fare better when sheer technical prowess is taken into account, this anime is the one that speaks to me.

So is your number one spot only reserved for your 10s or is it reserved for anything that manages to resonate with you?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 28, 2016 12:40 PM

Jan 2016
Definitely anything that resonates with me. (°ロ°)☝
After reading your post, I went back to look at the shows I gave a 10 such as Hxh. It has flaws like every anime but I enjoyed it so much that I boosted it from a 9 to a 10 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 28, 2016 12:40 PM

Apr 2016
No, it absolutely does not. A lot of my favorite anime are (according to me) only 6/10s. That you acknowledge the fact your favorite anime has flaws is actually a good thing. Then again, how you score your anime is up to you. If you want to score your anime by how much it resonates with you, that's 100% your choice.
Jun 28, 2016 12:43 PM

Dec 2015
No.

You score an anime how you want to. If you wanted to score your favourite a 1, there isn't anything stopping you. I rated my favourite a 9. It is up to you how you score the anime you watch.

Jun 28, 2016 12:45 PM

May 2015
Didn't I see this topic earlier?

Favorites are special kinds of anime that have something that you like about them that other anime may not have or done as well. Anime A can have a 10 while Anime B can have an 8, but Anime B is your favorite because it has something that Anime A does not.

Some of my favorites may not be 10s, but I chose them as my favorites because they have something special that I like that I didn't find in other anime that I have seen...
Jun 28, 2016 12:46 PM

Jan 2016
Well, since I rate purely via enjoyment.... my favorites are all a 10/10.
Jun 28, 2016 12:47 PM

Apr 2015
Yes, I do enjoy all of my 10/10s.....
Jun 28, 2016 12:49 PM

Nov 2015
CapitalistGod said:

Well so do I.
But let's say I enjoyed watching Steins Gate a bit more than klk (which is true) but klk is the one that resonates with me.
So if you were me what do you think would take the top spot?
Jun 28, 2016 12:50 PM

Nov 2015
Not really though I gave mine a 10. It all depends on how much you like the anime not with rating.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 28, 2016 12:52 PM
Sep 2015
No necessarily, my favourite anime is Maria-sama ga Mireru and I would rate it 8 or 9 (depending on the season). It's my favourite anime because it's one of the few I watched that had managed to use facial animation as a mean of characterisation and I found that quite impressive and I quess it's also the fact that I could relate to it on a personal level as well, overall it was a very enjoyable and humbling experience watching it. Still I admit its flaws and the fact that it doesn't stand a chance to shows such as FMAB and F/Z.
Still for me to rate 10 a show requires more than just being the best at everything (story, character, animation, music) I also have to enjoy the experience. I might watch what I believe to be a masterpiece, but if it doesn't resonate with me, I will still rate it less than 10.
Jun 28, 2016 12:53 PM

Dec 2015
My top 3 are all rated 10. And yes I accept that they all have flaws but I still give them 10's because...personal enjoyment and all that.

I think it's weird to call something your favourite and not give it a 10. (if you have seen at least 50 anime)
Jun 28, 2016 12:54 PM

May 2016
10/10 is a impossibility in my list...go read my profile for details...
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 28, 2016 12:56 PM

Jan 2016
Gesu- said:
CapitalistGod said:

Well so do I.
But let's say I enjoyed watching Steins Gate a bit more than klk (which is true) but klk is the one that resonates with me.
So if you were me what do you think would take the top spot?

The one that resonates with you, of course.... Though, in my case, I give 9 and 10s quite freely... so, yeah... I just arrange the anime I scored a 10 based on other factors(like how it resonates with me)
Jun 28, 2016 1:01 PM

Oct 2014
My top favourite is going to be the anime that I connect with the most and have enjoyed the most. This doesn't technically have to be a 10, but when my enjoyment is high enough it becomes the most important factor. My four top favourites are all 10s while the other 6 on my profile are a mix of a 7, an 8, and four 9s.
Jun 28, 2016 1:07 PM

Oct 2015
Yes, you're a special person who gave a 9.

Of course not, everyone has different rating criteria.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jun 28, 2016 1:14 PM

May 2015
Yes.

Your favorite anime is your favorite anime because all the things combined made you like it the most. 10/10's should be stuff that left an impact on you, the point where you think about it often and you heavily cherish it. Your favorite anime is the one that left the biggest impact on you because of how much you like it and how much you remember it.

I don't care what you do, but if you don't do that you're wrong.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 28, 2016 1:15 PM

Mar 2014
Like others have said, it depends on how you rate. I rate based on how much I liked a show, so my favorite are my 9s and 10s. The idea of objective quality in art is silly. Technical prowess and writing are not objective, as they must be argued. If something is objective it requires no argument, it's just a fact, but I understand differentiating perceived technical prowess and enjoyment. However, the things that cause me to like a show can be argued in the same way, so in my opinion, there is little difference between the two.
Jun 28, 2016 1:23 PM
Jul 2018
RainyRai said:
Yes.

Your favorite anime is your favorite anime because all the things combined made you like it the most. 10/10's should be stuff that left an impact on you, the point where you think about it often and you heavily cherish it. Your favorite anime is the one that left the biggest impact on you because of how much you like it and how much you remember it.

I don't care what you do, but if you don't do that you're wrong.

Couldn't have said it better. Something great enough to make me re-evaluate myself after watching and to be present enough in my mind to be given at least one thought daily, that's a 10.
Jun 28, 2016 1:37 PM

May 2016
kamisama751 said:
All the 10s I got are my favorites but not all my favorites are neccessarely 10s. There is a difference between the best and what someone likes. Although I got good taste and that's also why all my tens are also my favorites.

HyperL said:
10/10 is a impossibility in my list...go read my profile for details...

It is also impossible to receive 1 or 2 with your scoring system?

Yes, because as it is written in my profile, I rate things based on my enjoyment and satisfaction, and anything that is worth a Very Bad (3) already provides zero enjoyment and satisfaction to me...in theory. Same with 9 and 10...anything rated Great (9) provides me maximum enjoyment and satisfaction...again, in theory.

Also, I'm always thinking about reforming my formula to include 2 and 1 in it, but so far I've never watched any anime worth of such scores (and I'll not seek for it), so is not necessary yet (and I hope it may never be)...
HyperLJun 28, 2016 3:01 PM
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 28, 2016 2:14 PM

Oct 2015
nope.
So far I have only 4 favourites listed, only Kara no Kyoukai 1 got a 10 from me.

I know Mouretsu Pirates (8) is not the most fabulous anime ever, but I love it for being exactly the way it is.
Cowboy Bebop (9) is like burnt into each of my cells, and I am happy with that - yet there are some flaws, and one episode I find embarrassingly bad. But maybe some other day I may decide to re-rate it to 10 anyways.
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (9) is even dearer to me than Cowboy Bebop, but I find it is a bit too long, and also like straying off before the end.

I probably will rate Non Non Biyori a 9, but whatever rating it ends up with, it will get into my favourites. Or maybe I just pick a character.

edit : burnt for burned
BannoBunka_snorkJun 28, 2016 2:36 PM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Jun 28, 2016 2:17 PM

Jun 2015
That would basically be not using the full rating scale, wouldn't it?
Jun 28, 2016 2:18 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well... I mean if you've never seen anything you wanted to give a 10/10 then yes? If you do have 10s then it doesn't make sense to put a 9 as your favorite though

Not sure what there is to discuss here
Jun 28, 2016 2:18 PM

Sep 2015
No way, I love Absolute Duo and that show is far from "good".
Jun 28, 2016 2:24 PM

Apr 2014
Nope. Sometimes I really like something even though it's trash.
Jun 28, 2016 2:25 PM

Apr 2011
Of course not, one of my favorite anime of all time is Requiem For The Phantom, but I know it's not that great of a show as I wouldn't rate it higher than 7/10.
Jun 28, 2016 2:27 PM

May 2015
lalabella said:
Nope. Sometimes I really like something even though it's trash.

That's not how it works though. You don't go "this is my favorite but it is objectively bad". If you really liked it, it was good to you. If you liked making fun of it for being bad, it shouldn't be your favorite.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jun 28, 2016 2:27 PM
Aug 2015
Not just anime, but generally speaking:

Yes. A 9 is simply "great" and has no significant importance to you. A 10 isn't a masterpiece, it's just something that means very much to you as an individual.
Jun 28, 2016 2:31 PM

Jul 2013
Not really. My favorites are my favorites for a lot of reasons, and they don't have necessarily to be rated a 10 to be my favs. However, they have to be rated 9 at least to be my favs.
Jun 28, 2016 2:33 PM

Jun 2015
Absolutely! My favorite anime is Hunter x Hunter 2011 and it is definitely a true Masterpiece! 10/10
Read Toriko!
Jun 28, 2016 2:34 PM

Jun 2016
nope i have few fave animes and some of them are 9 points
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 2015
Some of my favorites I gave an 8.
Some of my 10s aren't my favorites

Aug 2015
I always start with 10 and lower it according to my Enjoyment level. I'll quote myself

How I rate Anime:
10 - Watched it religiously. Theatre Level Enjoyment. Felt very satisfied after watching it and during.
9 - Slightly better than a good TV show I would watch. My version of a good Netflix series.
8 - Very watchable, but not as entertaining/engaging as some other anime for me
7 - Pretty Vanilla. Good for time burning, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.
6 - Very meh. Kind of bored, but I wouldn't call the experience useless. My enjoyment fluctuated more than it should.
< 5 - A waste of time or has been dropped by then.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Feb 2010
Well yes. If I love a show so much I consider it one of my all-time top 10 shows I'd have to give it a 10/10 cause that's what the 10s are for as far as I'm concerned. They don't necessarily have to be better than a 9 or an 8, but they're the shows I love more than all the others.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jun 28, 2016 2:39 PM

Jul 2015
nope. 2 of my favourites are 9/10 and i have a few 10/10 that arent my favourites. the one thing has nothing to do with the other imo
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive
Jun 28, 2016 2:55 PM
Feb 2016
Yeah, if your rating system isn't giving your favourite anime a 10/10, then it's not really what I consider to be a good rating system. Everything I've given a 10 is flawed as hell, but they're still clever and enjoyable stuff. 9's for me are shows that have great overall enjoyment, but don't necessarily appeal to me on a personal level.

The thing is... Kill la Kill it has some very obvious flaws, but it also does a whole lot of things exceptionally well. Not only that, but emotional connection isn't something that should be looked down upon when assessing anime. If it managed to get a real emotional connection, for whatever reason, then I myself would give it a 10.
Jun 28, 2016 3:00 PM
Mar 2016
I give all anime credit where credit is due, though there are a handful of anime that are 10/10 on my list, that doesn't mean they're all quality.

Kuroko no Basket is a 10/10 on my list, all three seasons. I could give you all my systemic anime reviewer reasons, but the main reason it is a 10/10 is because I liked it so much. It's very unlikely I'll give just any anime I really enjoyed a 10/10. That's just not how I am. The majority of the time my highest rankings are given to high quality shows, though some aren't exactly my favorites
Jun 28, 2016 3:26 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Yeah, I'm going to rate an anime that I like enough to call it my favorite ever a 10/10, because I'm one of those plebs who rate stuff to reflect on how much they liked it instead of caring more about the technical aspects of its writing.

Jun 28, 2016 3:56 PM

Sep 2011
It sounds impossible, but I rate anime objectively. I am able to recognize when something is done right even if it is in a genre I hate, and my scores will reflect that. I judge based on 4 different sections, each getting 25 points - characters, plot, sound, and visuals. Notice how enjoyment is not a factor here.

I've given shows that I don't particularly enjoy a 10 while I've given shows I absolutely love 6s and 7s. Examples from my list are Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Sunabouzu respectively.
Jun 28, 2016 4:14 PM

Jun 2016
The new way i'm going to rate shows from now on is a rating based on how much i simply enjoy the series, because everything has flaws and completely flawless 10/10 doesnt exist for me. So yes, i gave the show I enjoyed the most a 10
Jun 28, 2016 4:21 PM

Jan 2016
Gesu- said:
My #1 favorite is a 9.
As in I do acknowledge it's flaws and I did feel like it stopped me from enjoying it as much as I could have, but then when I come to think about it, it's the anime that I adore the most and that's what I talk about all the time.
Despite having seen better anime, which fare better when sheer technical prowess is taken into account, this anime is the one that speaks to me.

So is your number one spot only reserved for your 10s or is it reserved for anything that manages to resonate with you?

Well, I'm trying to be as objective as I can in my ratings. For me, not all 10s are flawless, but they ARE (rationally) the best anime I've ever watched.

Also, I've noticed you still didn't watch a single show I've rated 10/10, although we've spent about the same time here on MAL (and are about the same age). Just keep watching - maybe you just didn't see an anime that's 10/10 in your opinion yet. ^_^
Jun 28, 2016 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
At this point I don't think I have anything rated a 10 anymore because I've duped a lot of my scores (my rating system has gotten stricter overtime) since I first joined the site, but that still doesn't mean that most of my favs aren't in that higher 8-9 range, which for me is good.
Jun 28, 2016 4:31 PM

Aug 2015
EmperorQ said:
The new way i'm going to rate shows from now on is a rating based on how much i simply enjoy the series, because everything has flaws and completely flawless 10/10 doesn't exist for me. So yes, i gave the show I enjoyed the most a 10

Exactly. Aren't we allowed to be plebs for our own personal reasons, but when it comes down to actual criticism or review, we are more realistic. I see nothing wrong with that at all.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Jun 28, 2016 4:33 PM
Jun 2013
I don't give 10's anyway so it's not a problem for me.
Jun 28, 2016 4:38 PM

Apr 2014
In my book they do, but to each their own I suppose.
Jun 28, 2016 5:06 PM

Jun 2014
Personally I think giving shows a 10/10 due to personal enjoyment is extremely incorrect, because personal enjoyment is more subjective and that blurs the line on an objective score is, which is what the average score for an anime should describe.
However, my favorite just happens to be my only 10/10.
Jun 28, 2016 5:09 PM

Nov 2015
If you rate based on your enjoyment yeah it should be a 10, if you don't rate based solely on your enjoyment then no.

I rated my favorite anime of all time with an 8, but I consider some of my favorites a 10.
Jun 28, 2016 5:10 PM

Sep 2015
No. My favourite anime has a lot of imperfections, and I like it that way.

You just lost the game
Jun 28, 2016 5:15 PM

Mar 2014
Nope. From my perspective, favorites =/= best, i.e. what you favorite is not necessarily what you rate a masterpiece (10/10).

Hence my fave is an 8/10.
Jun 28, 2016 5:19 PM

Apr 2016
Gesu- said:
My #1 favorite is a 9.

I whole heartedly agree. For me, that anime is Code Geass. Sure, Fate/Zero has better aesthetics and a better storyline and slightly better characters, but the former speaks to me just a little bit more. I still give both a 9.

I never gave a 10.
Jun 28, 2016 5:25 PM

Jan 2015
LogicalInjustice said:
I always start with 10 and lower it according to my Enjoyment level. I'll quote myself

How I rate Anime:
10 - Watched it religiously. Theatre Level Enjoyment. Felt very satisfied after watching it and during.
9 - Slightly better than a good TV show I would watch. My version of a good Netflix series.
8 - Very watchable, but not as entertaining/engaging as some other anime for me
7 - Pretty Vanilla. Good for time burning, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.
6 - Very meh. Kind of bored, but I wouldn't call the experience useless. My enjoyment fluctuated more than it should.
< 5 - A waste of time or has been dropped by then.

Basically this. If there was a 100 point system, only my one top favourite would have been given a perfect score by me, but since I can only assign 10 points, I gave multiple shows a 10.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What anime you think was carried by a single character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 11

59 by Memore »»
9 minutes ago

» What views on anime make you feel like some 2nd century Christian who rejects most of the gospels on obscure gnostic grounds.

vasipi4946 - 8 hours ago

6 by alshu »»
1 hour ago

» Who are your favorite silent characters and why?

JaaShooUhh - Jun 12

12 by MeguSae38 »»
1 hour ago

» What are the most iconic anime scenes

Gashadokur0 - May 29

23 by MeguSae38 »»
1 hour ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

36 by jh666 »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.