Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 29, 2009 12:40 AM

Jan 2008
Amazing episode. Like everyone said, time passes so fast when I'm watching this. I was expecting for more, but then wtf it's over.
Jul 29, 2009 3:52 AM

Dec 2008
drocell said:
I don't understand the hate on Mirai. To me she's just like any other child.
Me neither. Despite the fact that she's annoying, I still love this character. She's just so real. Some people mention "character development" in terms of her being "less of a brat" in this episode, but I think it's more like Mirai had always had those good sides. It's just that matter of us seeing those sides of her or not.
Jul 29, 2009 8:20 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
robbydesu said:
drocell said:
Me neither. Despite the fact that she's annoying, I still love this character. She's just so real. Some people mention "character development" in terms of her being "less of a brat" in this episode, but I think it's more like Mirai had always had those good sides. It's just that matter of us seeing those sides of her or not.

I find her perfectly normal, just a bit cynical and pessimist.....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jul 29, 2009 10:17 AM

Feb 2008
Mirai seems pretty normal to me. Heck i easily can relate to her cause I acted just like her when i was around her age (except no earthquake life changing episode).
Jul 29, 2009 12:57 PM

Dec 2008
Nayah said:
Mirai seems pretty normal to me. Heck i easily can relate to her cause I acted just like her when i was around her age (except no earthquake life changing episode).
Hahahaa you've got that right. I was such a brat when I was a kid...I can still be a brat now XD
Jul 29, 2009 5:42 PM

Jun 2009
This series has been failing my expectations so far. Not that it sucks, because it certainly doesn't, but when each episode advertises how realistic it is, it better be freaking realistic. That means, I don't wanna see no one helping the woman with the stroller, I don't wanna see no one taking any leadership, I don't wanna see people walking near/under structures vulnerable to collapse (if possible). I also don't like seeing people so calm, like they're sunbathing; no one panicking or crying or demanding to see their families; no one from the government announcing the disaster and telling people what to do; no one taking records - who's there, who died, who's missing; no one seemingly knowing what the disaster protocol should be (considering earthquakes are a major threat in tokyo); etc.

What destroys the realism though, is Mirai. This series is supposedly a character study in an interesting setting (that dictates the plot). But disasters/emergencies are usually the most inappropriate time for whining. I don't think it is unrealistic for Mirai to act like a brat, only for her to act like a brat right now.
Jul 29, 2009 8:18 PM

May 2009
Man does it suck to be small in those situations, could be trampled any moment.
-=Dear gravity don't let me go, hold me like the winter holds the cold=-
Jul 30, 2009 1:55 AM

Feb 2009
This is starting to become a pretty intense anime, which is a good thing. To be actually in a situation like this is just crazy! There were some pretty intense scenes in this ep too. Curious to see how it unfolds in the next ep.

Jul 30, 2009 2:20 AM

Jul 2009
fisher_88 said:
This series has been failing my expectations so far. Not that it sucks, because it certainly doesn't, but when each episode advertises how realistic it is, it better be freaking realistic. That means, I don't wanna see no one helping the woman with the stroller, I don't wanna see no one taking any leadership, I don't wanna see people walking near/under structures vulnerable to collapse (if possible). I also don't like seeing people so calm, like they're sunbathing; no one panicking or crying or demanding to see their families; no one from the government announcing the disaster and telling people what to do; no one taking records - who's there, who died, who's missing; no one seemingly knowing what the disaster protocol should be (considering earthquakes are a major threat in tokyo); etc.

What destroys the realism though, is Mirai. This series is supposedly a character study in an interesting setting (that dictates the plot). But disasters/emergencies are usually the most inappropriate time for whining. I don't think it is unrealistic for Mirai to act like a brat, only for her to act like a brat right now.

I completely agree. The realism is okay but it's just not great yet, there are many parts where it doesn't seem realistic enough. Why is everybody so calm anyways? It's a time of crisis with some still potential aftershocks. If I were them I would be f*cking running so fast to get my ass off that island, I would probably be first in line to get on the boat, maybe even hundreds of meters ahead of the crowd. It's funny how theres only one person out of the thousands that passed by that was willing to actually help the lady with the stroller. As for Mirai I hate her, I don't know if she had a rough time with her parents or anything but that wasn't the time to be all stubborn thinking she doesn't need any help.
rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant rant.
Jul 30, 2009 6:06 AM

Dec 2008
Eugh, you guys should stop thinking that Mirai should be acting maturely because it's a time of crisis.

It's BECAUSE it's a time of crisis and she's panicking that she's still acting like she is, a brat, as she's still growing up and believes she can make it out alone (holding the adult's hand? Are you kidding? <- her thoughts).

What the hell isn't real about her reaction? Are you that blind to not notice how teenagers are, which was the case of pretty much everyone around that age?

The calmness is, very unusual, by human standards; but maybe they do know how to react during earthquakes, and this IS many hours after the principal quakes. People were probably chaotic the first hour at most (although people were just walking out of that building in episode 2, that wasn't very smart at all), but you DO realize then that continuing like that doesn't help.
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jul 30, 2009 3:19 PM

Jan 2009
Mari should just kill Mirai with a shotgun aiming at her head, I can't stand her anymore; I just wanna slap her till she starts bleeds. Anyway fairly good episode, I can't avoid thinking on the tripodes while watching Tokyo, the music in the background while the Bridge was breaking was awesome, thats Koh Ohtani for you; the mastermind behind Roar of the Earth. Theres one thing I saw on the pace of this episode; And that was the development on Mirai; I can't stand her but I can see the obviously character development a la BONES.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 30, 2009 8:21 PM

Jun 2009
Hakoria said:
Eugh, you guys should stop thinking that Mirai should be acting maturely because it's a time of crisis.

It's BECAUSE it's a time of crisis and she's panicking that she's still acting like she is, a brat, as she's still growing up and believes she can make it out alone (holding the adult's hand? Are you kidding? <- her thoughts).

What the hell isn't real about her reaction? Are you that blind to not notice how teenagers are, which was the case of pretty much everyone around that age?

The calmness is, very unusual, by human standards; but maybe they do know how to react during earthquakes, and this IS many hours after the principal quakes. People were probably chaotic the first hour at most (although people were just walking out of that building in episode 2, that wasn't very smart at all), but you DO realize then that continuing like that doesn't help.

Nope, whining is a behavior that is associated with trauma, as far as I know. You say she's acting like herself, and that is what I disagree with. It's not as if she turned off the world around her, she's just completely clueless of what's going on. Regardless, her whining is a detriment to the series (as if I would like to see a disaster through the eyes of a whiny kid). Though , yeah, she'll probably get the cliche'd development later.

It doesn't seem people know what is going on (one of my critiques). Even if you do know, seeing destruction all around you shouldn't invoke calm. Especially if they experienced it before (in fact, they'll be even more panicked). They could be weary, tired, but not calm, because they should know it's not over yet. Even if it is over, they should still show some concern/grief over their loved ones and the general situation. Lastly, they displayed the same calmness before, like you mentioned. It's not realistic at all.
Jul 31, 2009 6:09 AM
Dec 2007
kashim said:
Mirai...just die. Anime seems to favor useless, pathetic and socially defunct characters these days.

She's the main character of the show and we'll see thanks to her whether or not the series will improve. She's supposed to grow and develop to become a fine and strong person by the end, just like Chihiro in the Miyazaki movie (they have almost the same character).

Coming back to the episode, well, the anime was incredible at the beginning ans is slowly sinking in the middle of this season's roster because of the excess of expected drama and above all a very average direction. Not as realistic as it was in the first two episodes too.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 31, 2009 6:23 AM

Dec 2008
fisher_88 said:

Nope, whining is a behavior that is associated with trauma, as far as I know. You say she's acting like herself, and that is what I disagree with. It's not as if she turned off the world around her, she's just completely clueless of what's going on. Regardless, her whining is a detriment to the series (as if I would like to see a disaster through the eyes of a whiny kid). Though , yeah, she'll probably get the cliche'd development later.

It doesn't seem people know what is going on (one of my critiques). Even if you do know, seeing destruction all around you shouldn't invoke calm. Especially if they experienced it before (in fact, they'll be even more panicked). They could be weary, tired, but not calm, because they should know it's not over yet. Even if it is over, they should still show some concern/grief over their loved ones and the general situation. Lastly, they displayed the same calmness before, like you mentioned. It's not realistic at all.
I think we should still consider the fact that there are cultural differences. Specifically the fact that (as previously mentioned several times by other people) Japan is one of the places that have experienced through many earthquakes and are more prepared for them. Just because a disaster has happened, it doesn't mean we'll have to rule out compassion or any sort of calmness. I would like to believe that there are still people who are compassionate enough to help other people when they see others are in trouble even if it costs them their life.

As for the realism factor - I think it really depends on what sort of realism we're referring to. There are way too many different aspects of it that can't really be grouped together and spoken in general.

I just don't understand though, how much do you need to be convinced that people are distraught, etc, etc? I think I saw enough tidbits of panic/anger/frustration/etc.

Specifically, I think the best sort of realism shown in the series are the characters themselves. Yea, Mirai is extremely annoying. But really, everyone can be annoying in one way or another - and at Mirai's age it's pretty much doubled or tripled. But the most important thing is that she's not just that, we've already seen from episode 2 that she's not just a bratty kid. She's capable of feeling guilt/worry/compassion/determination. There are various sides of her that she always had. It makes more sense to believe in that rather than thinking - oh in this disastrous event, all these better personality traitts spontaneously emerged from her. No man, that's not really how human nature works. We all have our good and bad sides, it's just that Mirai happens to show her bad side majority of the time. Even in episode 1 we were shown tiny hints of something more under all of Mirai's brattyness.

In addition to the character personalities, there are also very detailed mannerisms, facial expressions, the tone of voice, the flow of speech. Everything was done pretty well in terms of being realistic imho. I was impressed in episode 1 mainly because of the time the studio have put into the movement and flow of everything together.
robbydesuJul 31, 2009 6:26 AM
Jul 31, 2009 5:08 PM

Aug 2007
Bad things still happen... waa... was very dangerous when they were at the boat...
Aug 2, 2009 5:57 PM

Jun 2008
Lots of "Mirais" here. *sigh* otakus...

I like the kid, is pessimistic and flustered, as almost every conflictive teenager. Probably the most tense moment of the episode to me, was when Mirai looks at the crowd and you can see a woman falling on the bunch of people and a scream. This and when they get separated from the crowd are very powerful and well-directed scenes, specially on the sound direction.

I'm enjoying this show, it's a step ahead from all the silly drama and shallow action that elevens are showing us this season.
CanopusAug 2, 2009 6:08 PM
Aug 7, 2009 1:13 PM

Jan 2008
i dont really care for the kids that much, they are annoying. i like seeing what EVERYONE ELSE is doing besides them. and this show is making me want to take my trip to japan this winter less and less.
Aug 7, 2009 2:04 PM

Dec 2008
kawaiimisato said:
i dont really care for the kids that much, they are annoying. i like seeing what EVERYONE ELSE is doing besides them. and this show is making me want to take my trip to japan this winter less and less.
Because of the kids or because of the earthquake O_o?
Aug 8, 2009 8:04 AM

Jun 2009
Good episode more casualties =(
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Aug 19, 2009 9:37 PM

Jul 2008
Boring...
Aug 26, 2009 7:37 PM

Sep 2008
dPsychc said:
Boring...

I really hate it when people make these stupid comments, advise: Don't watch =)
Sep 1, 2009 2:05 AM

Jan 2009
They're on a boat!
They're on a boat!
Everybody take a good hard look at the mother f***n' boat!

Sorry that was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it.
Sep 18, 2009 9:55 AM

Dec 2008
Woah! That was a close call in the boat.
Sep 19, 2009 10:51 PM

Dec 2007
This episode carries emotions moments as usually. I don't have any problem with Mirai, but she is little annoying to me.
Oct 12, 2009 5:27 AM

Apr 2009
y11t said:
A quite sad episode again. EQ is still owning some people. I would not want to be there. No one would.

I lol'd the man who was jumped the boat and then,

i totally agree with you xD

Edit: Although i do feel bad for him =S
Jan 10, 2010 8:18 PM

Dec 2008
robbydesu said:
drocell said:

Mirai haters itt are just mad because she's not all moeblob—they can't handle a young girl in that "difficult" age being realistically characterized so they can only see her as "bratty". I don't know why it still blows my mind that otaku can be so dense, but whatever...

That said, admittedly I would rather be dealing with a cast of adults for something like this, but I'm pretty sure I can see where this is going. Mirai will end up maturing a bit through the ordeal, and she'll both have more confidence in herself and value those around her more—Mari will most likely end up rubbing off on her a bit.

I'm pretty sure that all of this is lost on otaku fanboy morons because Mirai isn't a brainless moeblob squealing TASUKETE YO~ ;-;

Go watch something else if it bothers you so much.
May 4, 2010 9:50 AM

Nov 2008
There is always a reasons why a character is made,for normal people who doesn't think deeper they will just hate the character.In one way or another,her characteristic is seen on lots of children nowadays who take things for granted.I think kids with mirai attitude who have seen her attitude will hate her while not knowing that they themselves have the same attitude as her.As for those greedy fuckers who only care about their own lifes in this episode deserve to die as seen when the highway collapsed and the turned over boat.
Jun 29, 2010 5:57 AM

Oct 2008
Grr.. I hate people who are so pushy and unfriendly >.>

Shoving kids around like that..
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Sep 12, 2010 3:11 PM

Feb 2009
I have a feeling that Mari's daughter died a long time ago because there is nostalgia in her voice when talking about her.

And here I thought people would work together during a catastrophe but now that I think about it this way of thinking might just be Hollywood bullshits, now that I think about it people are assholes in whatever situations.
Oct 22, 2010 3:21 AM

Mar 2009
MaxCrazy7 said:
And here I thought people would work together during a catastrophe but now that I think about it this way of thinking might just be Hollywood bullshits, now that I think about it people are assholes in whatever situations.

In such situations, people will care more about saving their own asses than anyone else's.
Dec 28, 2010 5:36 AM

Jan 2010
Mirai reminds me of a girl i know...

this is seriously one of the best anime series ive seen in the past months :)

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 7, 2011 5:06 AM

Jul 2009
fisher_88 said:

This isn't america we are talking about. This is Japan. Japan has drills for this stuff. They are prepared, and they know what to do when said event happens. Plus people WERE telling the consensus what to do, albeit just a few people. Walking near structures that are near collapsing? What path do you suggest they walk to the boats from the exhibition center? There is no open field with a yellow brick road that is 100% safe to walk on. Again. This is Japan, and in Tokyo mind you. Also, they are prepared again. So they are less likely to worry about things falling down.

On a related note on the topic that the govt didn't mention anything. Do they really need to show it? Just because they didn't show it doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

What would be realistic in Japan =/= what would be realistic everywhere. What people would do in America =/= what people would do in Japan. Plus, this was aired in Japan (go figure?), so I don't think they would make it so that the Japanese people would act realistically in according to American History. They would act more like the Japanese would act right?

Some of the things I question, like the buildings falling down halfway, but I am not a structural engineer, so it might have been realistic.

TokyoNeonLight said:
Are you kidding me? The animation was good, it had some sad moments but representation of people is completely ridiculous. Furthermore, only 900 died? WTF?

You did watch the episode all the way right? when the bridge fell on the people? When the wave overtook the boat?
900 was confirmed. More will be added as they are counting them.

remoticon said:

Mirai haters itt are just mad because she's not all moeblob—they can't handle a young girl in that "difficult" age being realistically characterized so they can only see her as "bratty". I don't know why it still blows my mind that otaku can be so dense, but whatever...

I'm pretty sure that all of this is lost on otaku fanboy morons because Mirai isn't a brainless moeblob squealing TASUKETE YO~ ;-;

Go watch something else if it bothers you so much.

This.
nanaki254Apr 7, 2011 5:10 AM
Nov 20, 2011 1:10 AM

Sep 2011
lol at the dude trying to jump onto the boat.
Jun 9, 2012 9:34 PM

Jul 2009
Mari for MVP.
Like damn, I honestly would never do some of the things she's done. I have so much respect for people like her. Heck, I would probably be robbing grocery stores and shit. I'm pretty despicable. Hah.
Jun 23, 2012 12:11 PM

Jul 2011
I feel like helping those that got caught in the wave!! So sad. ;A;

Why do I tear up for the earthquakes, but feel so annoyed about the main character??

And no, not all children are like that. >:I

I love Yuuki though. Mari too!!
Jul 4, 2012 9:21 PM
Jul 2018
These episodes are just flying by.
Look at the hands of the people in the background at the start of this episode. Quality, hahaha.

And are we still hating on Mirai? I don't like her that much, but I can at least see she's somewhat of a step up from an archetypical character from your average anime.
Oct 15, 2012 2:37 AM

Jun 2012
Dear Idiot in the red shit,
Kangeroos live in Australia, not japan.
Sincerely, Anime viewer
Oct 24, 2012 4:58 PM

Jul 2012
Mari is such a good person. Seriously.

Heck, I would probably be robbing grocery stores and shit.

LOL Same. I would be frantically trying to stock up on foods and other supplies so I can camp outside for a couple of days enjoying the free life. XD

Grr.. I hate people who are so pushy and unfriendly >.>

+1 So true. D:
MayukaOct 24, 2012 5:02 PM
Oct 28, 2012 3:49 AM

May 2012
Another awesome episode! The Plot is really thickening!
Feb 8, 2013 4:28 PM

Sep 2011
I don't get the hate for Mirai. She is pretty much like almost every other teenagers in her age.
I also don't get why some people think their calmness and whatnot are unrealistic. This is fucking Japan, they are actually prepared for this kind of shit. They know what to do or not do in these kind of situations. Except for some desperate people of course.
My only 'problem' so far is the luck they have. Like how they always survive every situation because of either falling behind or getting on the earlier ship. I don't want them to die, but this is a bit weird like this.
Feb 9, 2013 2:30 PM

May 2012
Gosh.. disaster one after another... so much tension :(
Jun 11, 2013 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
I'm liking this anime a bit more than I had thought I would! Mari is definitely a good impression on Mirai.

Has anyone wondered if Mirai's parents are alive? If they had indeed died, Yuki and Mirai will no doubt live with Mari.

Has anyone wondered if Mari's daughter is alive?!

Anyways, no matter what happens, I see Mirai ending this series to be just like Mari; highly optimistic and helpful. We will see though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2013 9:13 PM

Apr 2012
Man i found me a good one:3 the story taking place during the effects of a disaster is really cool, and the characters are nice, i can't wait to see what happens next
Oct 4, 2013 6:44 PM

Jan 2009
Great character development!
May 16, 2014 11:24 PM

Jul 2013
Wow @ the comments. Tough crowd. Take it easy on Mirai, she's only an 11 year old kid. When we were 11 we were all pretty messed up in the head one way or another. Saying she should jump off a bridge is even worse than those people in the crowd shoving her around. Sure they may have their own stories but I don't think it excuses pushing a scared child around. Take a page from Mari's book and be a little more compassionate.
ChanaynayMay 16, 2014 11:35 PM
Jul 12, 2014 7:25 AM

Oct 2011
The episodes keep going past so quickly! I also don't understand why people hate Mirai. The people who keep pushing past her and ignoring people like the woman who was stuck are the people who aren't nice, not Mirai.
Aug 12, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2012
Mirai was such a brat there... Holding hands not to get lost in crowds is common sense... and she is a child anyway so who cares ><
Oct 27, 2014 8:24 AM

Jun 2013
Lyrisia said:
Mirai was such a brat there... Holding hands not to get lost in crowds is common sense... and she is a child anyway so who cares ><

It's common for children to hate being called a child so having her act like a brat there is actually pretty realistic.

Anyway, another great episode, not too sure what other disasters they can throw in her now xD
Dec 29, 2014 11:32 PM

Jan 2010
you guys needa chill mirai is like 12
Jan 19, 2015 4:23 PM

Sep 2014
Gosh, Mirai is getting on my nerves. I understand her hormones are kicking in, being like 13 and all, but damn, loosen the fuck up. She's incredibly lucky to have someone like Mari by her side. Mari has no obligation whatsoever to help them out.

10bux that Mari's daughter has been dead all long
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

wakka9ca - Jul 16, 2009

193 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 3:16 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Wasabi - Jul 9, 2009

253 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 3, 1:35 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.