Forum Settings
Forums

Opinion on the baltic states. (Latvia, Estonia, Lithuania)

New
Aug 16, 2015 3:57 AM

Dec 2013
I am not expecting a ton of replies but if Yugoslavia gets a thread the baltics get one too. Okay to those that don't know the baltic states are the three countries in northern Europe on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. The Baltic states cooperate on a regional level in several intergovernmental organizations.

While the indigenous populations of Latvia and Lithuania are known as Baltic peoples, those of Estonia are Finnic peoples. Another Baltic identity, Baltic German, began to develop during the Middle Ages after the Livonian Crusade.

Here's a map

Yes I used the wiki, deal with it.

So guys how do you feel about the baltic states, are they cool? Know any people from the baltics?

The reason I ask this is because I myself am from Latvia, and am quite interested what other countries think and or know about us.
MrHawkyAug 16, 2015 4:07 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 16, 2015 4:00 AM

Nov 2013
Serbia>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Aug 16, 2015 4:02 AM

Mar 2012
Hail communism, they're Russians.

Yes, I am CD 2.0's overlord.
Aug 16, 2015 4:03 AM

Jan 2015
VIVA LIVONIA!!!!!!!!!!

VIVA MANCOMUNIDAD DE POLONIA-LITHUANIA
DiginarcissaAug 16, 2015 4:18 AM
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Aug 16, 2015 4:12 AM

Nov 2012
Well, lots of them speak Russian so they are cool I guess.
Aug 16, 2015 4:13 AM

Jun 2015
Lithuanian over here ^^ nice to see someone made a topic about Baltic States! And no, I don't speak Russian.
Hail_HydraAug 16, 2015 4:20 AM
Cut off one head two more shall take its place, Hail Hydra!
Aug 16, 2015 4:16 AM

Jun 2013
People know about the Baltics?
What is this?

On a side note: Latvia is a country where many people speak russian because of the amount of russians there, while in Lithuania there aren't many russians there so not all of them speak that language. I think lots of Estonians speak russian tho.
Idk, I only know precise stuff about my own country.
KittyNomAug 16, 2015 4:25 AM
Aug 16, 2015 4:29 AM

Dec 2013
I used to think that we suck because my country ( Lithuania ) is so small, insignificant, nothing of interest to see, but that changed after I grew up. Of course we, the Baltics are not France or Greece or smth in terms of nature and historical sights but there are different kinds of attractions that are just as great.

Besides Baltics are deemed as the safest countries because we are far from tectonic plate edges, no seismic activity, our Baltic Sea is too small for hurricanes to form, plus the climate is near perfect.

And no, not a lot of people speak Russian, only some adults and older people for obvious reasons. The newer generations can bearly speak a word in Russian, aside from curse words. Those are so so common it's almost scary.

All in all, we are cool.

goodshitgoOdshitAug 16, 2015 4:34 AM
Aug 16, 2015 4:34 AM

Jan 2015
robis798 said:
I used to think that we suck because my country ( Lithuania ) is so small, insignificant, nothing of interest to see, but that changed after I grew up. Of course we, the Baltics are not France or Greece or smth in terms of nature and historical sights but there are different kinds of attractions that are
being a part of the Livonian order already beats the mentioned countries
Aug 16, 2015 4:40 AM

Jun 2011
I'll give you a quick tour to Lithuania:

The sad thing is that it's full of retarded people like these, even though this video is just a joke. More than half young people in it are hardcore potheads, lmao, even though pot is illegal. There are also a lot of people who are still racist as fuck. Don't expect not to be called a weaboo if you watch anime in a company of these though guys. And random people can be shot on streets there too. And, no, most lithuanians do not speak Russian, some of them even hate Russia with passion. But it's not really that bad country, it could be way more worse.
CharlesMarlowAug 16, 2015 4:48 AM

Aug 16, 2015 5:31 AM

Aug 2009
I know a few people from Lithuania, they're pretty cool guys I guess.

I know one girl from Latvia and she's a complete nutjob, which is also cool?

Not sure what else to say, I don't know that much about the countries themselves.
Aug 16, 2015 5:35 AM

Jul 2015
ArdenFolgore said:

The sad thing is that it's full of retarded people like these, even though this video is just a joke. More than half young people in it are hardcore potheads, lmao, even though pot is illegal. There are also a lot of people who are still racist as fuck. Don't expect not to be called a weaboo if you watch anime in a company of these though guys. And random people can be shot on streets there too. And, no, most lithuanians do not speak Russian, some of them even hate Russia with passion. But it's not really that bad country, it could be way more worse.

Most of such persons already emigrated to UK and Spain. So Lithuania much better place now.
Aug 16, 2015 6:08 AM

Jul 2015
you will all be invaded by Russia soon enough
Aug 16, 2015 6:11 AM
Jul 2018
Go said:
Hail communism, they're Russians.
Aug 16, 2015 6:22 AM
Jul 2018
Sukebe14 said:
Aug 16, 2015 8:16 AM
Oct 2014
Estonia is like Little Finland, and they do pretty well economically. Normally, I would refuse to use the latin word for Estland. They had a swedish minority until the mid-1900s.

I've been to Latvia, more specifically Riga. First thing I saw, was huge piles of coal. The old town looks alright, but the rest was like Soviet Russia. An old lady had a radio and did the robot dance to the songs. She was doing it at some square, from where you could see a high statue.

Aug 16, 2015 8:17 AM
Feb 2011
At least here in Lithuania the internet is cheap and good. There's nothing great about this country otherwise.
Aug 16, 2015 8:24 AM

Mar 2015
People from the Baltic states and Eastern Europe come here and do construction work, so I guess they're pretty helpful.

I guess things could be better there, they do say some funny things about Norway, like how the child protective services will steal Lithuanian babies, because we are inbred and need people from outside of Norway to help purify our bloodline or whatever. Maybe it's evidence that there are a lot of shitty parents in the Baltic states, I don't know.

Most people I know from the Baltic states are pretty chill though.
Aug 16, 2015 8:33 AM

Jan 2009
Didn't they all adopted the Euro recently and were among the most vocal against Greek Debt Reliefs? At least, economical-wise, they seem to be stable (unlike some Southern European Countries).

Besides, I heard about the Poland-Lithuania Union, that the Teutonic Order, Prussia and later Germany had or still has close economical and cultural Ties and that at least two Baltic Countries seem to have an unusual Name with an unclear Origin for Germany.

Then the Digitalization and Internet Technology is further advanced than over here. But that didn't stop Hackers from infiltrating some Networks after some Statue from some Soviet Monument was taken down.

On that Note, I can a bit relate to the Anti-Russian Sentiments due to the History (even excluding anything from the Soviet Union if you take a Look at how many Clashes there have been between neighboring Countries with a significant Russian Minority fighting for their Freedom (and potential Annexation towards Mother Russia), so it's more than understandable if they're way more wary towards their big Eastern Neighbor.

Personally, I haven't met anyone from the Baltic States, but I'm taking it that the stereotypical Mentality (at least in economical and work-related Questions) is not too far off from Nordic and German-speaking Countries.
Aug 16, 2015 8:41 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know anything about them :L
Aug 16, 2015 8:51 AM

Sep 2014
Their capital cities look real nice. Made up of older style buildings instead of cheap skyscrapers.

+ Big boob women.
Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past."
Aug 16, 2015 1:47 PM

Dec 2013
ArdenFolgore said:

Ehhh, that video went viral for quite a while here but it was soon forgotten, just like all of such videos. This video definitely doesn't represent Lithuania, although it might serve as a representitive video of similar-ish Russian ( or not ) groups that still dress so horribly and talk in disgusting slang. But those are tiny minorities. And I don't agree on all the negative things you say. I'd say that Lithuania and probably other Baltics are just like all other countries - too diverse to sum it up just like that. Like in any existing country we have some scum, but everything else is pretty much to the standart: everyone keeps up with latest trends, in all aspects, so I doubt you'd feel much difference in terms of advancement or people if you came from any other European country.

I don't know, what I want to say is I guess that if anyone thinks that these countries are some outcasts with no electricity or still in "good ol" Soviet Russia, then you couldn't be further from truth. As I said, we're basicly same as all others, at least I feel like that living here. If you've been to any European country you can basicly imagine what Baltics look like, just with tad different architecture and small small cultural differences.
Aug 16, 2015 5:47 PM
Jul 2018
They are 3 irrelevant shitholes that Russia wants to invade and rape

Aug 16, 2015 9:03 PM
Jul 2018
They should form into one country and call it Lateunia
Aug 17, 2015 2:08 AM
Feb 2014
Pretty sure they're part of Europe (Shit) iirc

Only Europeans that I can respect are Finnish, Norwegians, and Dutch. The rest of the continent can get invaded by Muslims and Africans and watching them complain is like one of my actual IRL hobbies :)
Aug 17, 2015 7:08 AM

May 2015
I like the song "Metal is Big in the Baltic States" and I'm glad your countries exist because of that song.

Estonia's flag is pretty.

That's all I know.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 17, 2015 8:00 AM

Jan 2009
Nico- said:

Only Europeans that I can respect are Finnish, Norwegians, and Dutch. The rest of the continent can get invaded by Muslims and Africans and watching them complain is like one of my actual IRL hobbies :)

Undank ist der Welten Lohn Nothing is so hard as Man's Ingratitude. Also, I'd rather live in a Baltic Country where I could at least get fast and unrestricted Internet cheap than in some Boondocks where Cowboys could roam around freely.
Aug 17, 2015 8:04 AM
Jul 2015
If weren't for Hetalia I wouldn't know those countries exists
Aug 17, 2015 8:11 AM

Sep 2009
They're pretty nice for a suburb of Russia.

Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Aug 17, 2015 1:44 PM
Feb 2014
Noboru said:
Nico- said:

Undank ist der Welten Lohn Nothing is so hard as Man's Ingratitude. Also, I'd rather live in a Baltic Country where I could at least get fast and unrestricted Internet cheap than in some Boondocks where Cowboys could roam around freely.

Sarcasm, learn it.
Aug 17, 2015 2:07 PM

Jan 2009
Nico- said:
Noboru said:

Sarcasm, learn it.
Teach me. Maybe I could find Traces of it in my earlier Reply as well, then.

Nevertheless: why do you answer in a Thread when you're seemingly uninterested?
Not like I would pretend to be very interested, but at the very least, there are some Things I can pick up and mention.
NoboruAug 17, 2015 2:13 PM
Aug 17, 2015 2:15 PM

Dec 2013
NimboBlanco said:
If weren't for Hetalia I wouldn't know those countries exists
But that is so weird, I mean, I think there's geography subject in every country so it's weird that many people are so oblivious to smaller countries, not just Baltics. For example, there is no country that I don't know and it feels so natural, I can't imagine myself not knowing all there is around the globe.
Aug 17, 2015 2:28 PM
Mar 2013
I have always thought that they have really beautiful architecture

I also remember someone on MAL telling me that Latvian is one of the oldest languages in Europe. But that's the extent of my knowledge of the baltic states
Aug 23, 2015 3:41 AM

Jan 2015
Lithuania.... hmmm.... still better than Latvia/Russia/Estonia/Ukraine.......
Aug 23, 2015 3:43 AM

Oct 2014
Have a feeling that they're all secretly Russian.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 23, 2015 3:43 AM

Nov 2011
what are the Estonian s doing up there with that nuclear power........shady guys
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Aug 23, 2015 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
Sardines are good,thank you very much.
Aug 23, 2015 4:42 AM

Jun 2014
They have no culture and and will be absorbed back into Russia.

I like their indigenous cultures though, cool neo pagan stuff going on there.
Aug 23, 2015 5:00 AM

Jan 2015
Jerkhov said:
They have no culture and and will be absorbed back into Russia.

I like their indigenous cultures though, cool neo pagan stuff going on there.
the pagans shall suffer once the Baltic States will reunite once again
(but first, lets evangelize Estonians first)
VIVA LIVONIA!!!!
Aug 23, 2015 5:03 AM

Mar 2014
Haven't been to Estonia and Latvia much

Lithuania is great though. Very underrated
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Aug 23, 2015 5:11 AM

Dec 2013
Milky_way1886 said:
Have a feeling that they're all secretly Russian.

Vodka, putin, vodka, vodka, putin, blad?
Aug 23, 2015 6:41 AM

Jan 2009
JD2411 said:
I also remember someone on MAL telling me that Latvian is one of the oldest languages in Europe. But that's the extent of my knowledge of the baltic states
If I recall correctly, they are (together with the Old Prussian Language) about the least changing Languages of the Indo-Germanic (or Indo-European) Language Family in Europe, unlike German or even English.

Tourist said:
I think those countries are very vulnerable to being invaded by Russia.
But those Countries are both in EU and NATO, so I doubt that Russia would try to do anything to them.

Moving is the first thing that I think when to remember those countries because Europe (especially eastern) is not a safe place right now.
North Eastern Central Europe might become a safer Place in the Future thanks to the sheer Mass of Immigrants/Refugees.
Aug 23, 2015 6:42 AM

Jan 2015
Noboru said:
JD2411 said:
If I recall correctly, they are (together with the Old Prussian Language) about the least changing Languages of the Indo-Germanic (or Indo-European) Language Family in Europe, unlike German or even English.
what about Latin and Romanian?
Aug 23, 2015 6:48 AM

Jan 2009
Karadzic said:
Noboru said:
what about Latin and Romanian?
Latin has died of as a spoken Language and Romanian has Slavic Loanwords in it, while keeping the Vulgar Latin "Dialect". But you could say similar Things about the Baltic Languages.
Aug 23, 2015 9:13 AM

Jun 2014
MrHawkeye said:
I am not expecting a ton of replies but if Yugoslavia gets a thread the baltics get one too. Okay to those that don't know the baltic states are the three countries in northern Europe on the eastern coast of the Baltic Sea: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. The Baltic states cooperate on a regional level in several intergovernmental organizations.

While the indigenous populations of Latvia and Lithuania are known as Baltic peoples, those of Estonia are Finnic peoples. Another Baltic identity, Baltic German, began to develop during the Middle Ages after the Livonian Crusade.

Here's a map

Yes I used the wiki, deal with it.

So guys how do you feel about the baltic states, are they cool? Know any people from the baltics?

The reason I ask this is because I myself am from Latvia, and am quite interested what other countries think and or know about us.

They're adorable. ^_^
Aug 23, 2015 9:30 AM

Apr 2013
they miss big brother russia
Aug 23, 2015 10:17 AM

Jul 2014
Noboru said:
Tourist said:
I think those countries are very vulnerable to being invaded by Russia.
But those Countries are both in EU and NATO, so I doubt that Russia would try to do anything to them.

Of course, nonetheless the hysteria never stops. The press from Baltics was the second most popular hate press around here before the Ukraine crysis, I think. (Many countries indulge in writing something about "wild, drunk, inhuman Russians" and there're even special sites dedicated to the translation of such articles.)

I've been to Estonia twice. The old parts of the cities are really beautiful. Tartu University was rather welcoming too. Can't say anything bad about the interpersonal communication.
It's true that younger people don't talk Russian, btw.

But the politics... No matter what you say, I think it was a dick move to make some people who live in the country or were even born there non-citizens, as Lithuania did. You all joke about Russia and invasions, but in the end such sentiments make people's lives worse. Russian populace is seen as a threat or people of lower class and is oppressed, even though many of these people were born in the country where they reside now and know nothing of Russia. And the others moved there during the soviet era, sometimes not by their own volition.
Aug 23, 2015 10:55 AM
Dec 2014
Pička vam materna volim vas sve.

A couple of years ago I was participating in a student exchange program where students from Sweden, France and Lithuania would come here for a week and we would go there for a week. A boy from Lithuania lived in my house for the time being and he was really nice.
j
Aug 23, 2015 12:07 PM

Sep 2012
This is all I know about the matter

Aug 23, 2015 12:18 PM
Mar 2011
dot let them fall to the fascists
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How active are you?

SimplyBrazen - 10 hours ago

10 by Kwanthemaster »»
2 minutes ago

» Favorite Fruit?

Jackof-allspades - 2 hours ago

10 by bevarnow »»
4 minutes ago

» How Good Are Your Senses?

Jackof-allspades - 11 hours ago

8 by Kwanthemaster »»
5 minutes ago

» How many people do you live with?

ZakuF_ - Today

15 by Meusnier »»
6 minutes ago

» It's been awhile so here's a quiz

Cneq - Jul 20

24 by Meusnier »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.