Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 28, 2015 4:44 PM

Sep 2012
The fight was nice and it was pretty badass that Ainz one-shotted their best weapon with a black hole. Though, I'm really annoyed with how OP Ainz is. There's no tension at all if we know our MC is going to win every single fight. And from the looks of it, some of you guys mention that stronger opponents don't show up? That's worries me because it seems like the future future conflicts will fold out like the following: Enemy shows up, Ainz tells them they're underestimating him and his gang, they don't buy it and attack him, they finally realize they underestimate him, Ainz wrecks them. I really hope it doesn't play out this way every episode.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jul 28, 2015 4:51 PM

Nov 2014
jakkubus said:
Darklight0303 said:
Sadly he won't. He loves trolling the popular series.

So me not being fanboy means, that I am a troll? Well, it sounds strange for someone, who comes to threads like that to comment on other users instead of show.

Rektded said:
I've seen you talking about how bad Overlord is in at least two other threads. Why don't you do us and yourself a favor and just drop it?

Well, I heard, that Overlord has pretty decent worldbuilding, so I am willing to wait a moment. Especially since it's only 1-cour anime.

I am enjoying this show a lot but I agree dont let this be like reddit where only good opinions counts and no criticism .

You have the right to say the flaws and opinions after all the third episode already and the 3 episode rule exist for a lot of people.
Jul 28, 2015 4:56 PM

Apr 2008
IronLobster said:
The fight was nice and it was pretty badass that Ainz one-shotted their best weapon with a black hole. Though, I'm really annoyed with how OP Ainz is. There's no tension at all if we know our MC is going to win every single fight. And from the looks of it, some of you guys mention that stronger opponents don't show up? That's worries me because it seems like the future future conflicts will fold out like the following: Enemy shows up, Ainz tells them they're underestimating him and his gang, they don't buy it and attack him, they finally realize they underestimate him, Ainz wrecks them. I really hope it doesn't play out this way every episode.

It's called OVERLORD for a bloody reason.
Jul 28, 2015 4:56 PM

Nov 2014
Well somebody is overpowered
Hi there
Jul 28, 2015 4:57 PM

Apr 2008
Flawfinder said:
XMahesvaraX said:

His OPness is not a level of nonsense. Actually it's just logical. He is a last level player in a low level(avarage 30 i guess) area. What did you expect? Would struggling againts that weaklings will be more realistic?

It'd be a lot more exciting to watch. I mean if we know the guy isn't going to die or even lose, then where's the tension? And if he's so OP, why is the writer making him waste time with these low-level snorefests?

No it wouldn't be. It would be something that has been done ad nauseum with all of the other game related animes.

What you call wasting time is Ainz playing it safe. You say he's overpowered and everything but he doesn't let that get to his head and wants to play it safe and cautiously for the most part.
Darklight0303Jul 28, 2015 5:03 PM
Jul 28, 2015 5:02 PM

Jul 2014
Stop crying you little fucks, if you don't like op main characters don't start a series called "Overlord". Now fluff off, you're adorableness is getting annoying.
Jul 28, 2015 5:04 PM

Apr 2008
Arcanix said:
Stop crying you little fucks, if you don't like op main characters don't start a series called "Overlord". Now fluff off, you're adorableness is getting annoying.

Someone should call Demiurge. Some of the Bipedal sheep have strayed into this thread it seems
Jul 28, 2015 5:07 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Momonga casually going through all of these guy's so called powerful summons like they were nothing made me laugh xD

World Domination begins now :DDD
Jul 28, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2012
Darklight0303 said:
IronLobster said:

It's called OVERLORD, not OVER-POWERED LORD.

Jul 28, 2015 5:12 PM

Apr 2008
IronLobster said:
Darklight0303 said:

An overlord is overpowered by definition. >_> Get with the program
Jul 28, 2015 5:14 PM

Mar 2009
Badass episode. And Albedo continues to be one of the best girls of the season.
Jul 28, 2015 5:19 PM

Apr 2015
Darklight0303 said:
IronLobster said:

o·ver·lord (ō′vər-lôrd′)
n.
1. A lord having power or supremacy over other lords.
2. One in a position of supremacy or domination over others.

Wrong! Being an Overlord does not imply being unchallenged.

I guess this will be one very mediocre anime If all I can look forward to Is curbstomps.
Jul 28, 2015 5:21 PM

Apr 2008
Tylaen said:
Darklight0303 said:

o·ver·lord (ō′vər-lôrd′)
n.

I guess this will be one very mediocre anime If all I can look forward to Is curbstomps.

If you only came here for the fights then that's your problem
Jul 28, 2015 5:22 PM

Apr 2015
Darklight0303 said:
Tylaen said:

o·ver·lord (ō′vər-lôrd′)
n.

The show Isn't even worth it for the dialogue, m8.
Jul 28, 2015 5:30 PM

Jan 2013
lol people criticizing overlord for being OP is like criticizing Prison School for being ecchi
Jul 28, 2015 5:32 PM

Nov 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Tylaen said:

o·ver·lord (ō′vər-lôrd′)
n.

You lost, accept it.

Jul 28, 2015 5:42 PM

Sep 2012
Darklight0303 said:
IronLobster said:

It's something I can stand. If the conquest is good then I'll probably enjoy it regardless.

Jul 28, 2015 5:43 PM

Oct 2013
Excuse me, Ainz being an Overlord comes from him being an Overlord of Death, not because he's stronger than anyone else or is unchallenged. So I don't understand the use of the title Overlord to prove there's not tension or Ainz is unmatched in all things. I believe if you're not interested enough to get with the premise of the series, it would be really good for you to drop it.

We've had all of 4 episodes and apparently that's enough to make conclusions of a 9 volume and counting series. Really good to know. Really disquieting to realize we'll have to deal with this shit for another 8 episodes.
OpalMidgeJul 28, 2015 5:47 PM
Jul 28, 2015 5:47 PM

Apr 2008
OpalMidge said:
Excuse me, Ainz being an Overlord comes from him being an Overlord of Death, not because he's stronger than anyone else or is unchallenged. I believe if you're not interested enough to get with the premise of the series, it would be really good for you to drop it.

We've had all of 4 episodes and apparently that's enough to make conclusions of a 9 volume and counting series. Really good to know. Really disquieting to realize we'll have to deal with this shit for another 8 episodes.

Alas that's how it's been on MAL for ages. Bipedal sheep at their finest.
Jul 28, 2015 5:50 PM

Jan 2013
OpalMidge said:
Aaannnd let the misunderstanding begin!

Pity it wasn't shown what was done to the Slane Theocracy mages. I'm hoping they'll show it later on but I suppose that level of gore and violence is not suitable for TV.

what was done to them ? where are the gore parts in the novel ?
Jul 28, 2015 5:51 PM
Apr 2013
I usually don't really like animes about MMOs but damn Overlord is awesome
Instead of all the usual and overused MC average style anime guy (basically the SAO style, looking at you Kirito lol) this bastard is a Skeleton with awesome powers.
Actually extremely awesome powers he's beyond overpowered and we barely saw what he can do, if we think about a Magical Alucard, our Lord Ainz Ooal Gown is exactly that.
Looking forward to more episodes, even considering reading the manga and novels since I can't wait.
Jul 28, 2015 5:54 PM

Apr 2015
OpalMidge said:
Excuse me, Ainz being an Overlord comes from him being an Overlord of Death, not because he's stronger than anyone else or is unchallenged. So I don't understand the use of the title Overlord to prove there's not tension or Ainz is unmatched in all things. I believe if you're not interested enough to get with the premise of the series, it would be really good for you to drop it.

I'm sorry for voicing my opinion and saying the episodes thus far shown are boring. Pardon my audacity for even thinking of saying anything negative before the show Is over.
Jul 28, 2015 5:58 PM

Apr 2008
Darkthief said:
I usually don't really like animes about MMOs but damn Overlord is awesome
Instead of all the usual and overused MC average style anime guy (basically the SAO style, looking at you Kirito lol) this bastard is a Skeleton with awesome powers.
Actually extremely awesome powers he's beyond overpowered and we barely saw what he can do, if we think about a Magical Alucard, our Lord Ainz Ooal Gown is exactly that.
Looking forward to more episodes, even considering reading the manga and novels since I can't wait.

Just a heads up. The novel volumes are fairly large so you'll be reading a lot but in exchange you'll get a lot more detail and a few different perspectives too
Jul 28, 2015 6:01 PM

Jul 2015
Overlord could mean lots of thinks.

Overlord of death. present.

Overlord to this new world. perhaps. a story on how he conquer this world.

Maybe..

OP characters can still be interesting. A harder challenge though, and to me, the anime is accomplishing it..

Sep 2014
This guy is overpowered as fuck. His behavior is so evil on the outside, it's hilarious.

Jul 2014
But in the OP Shalltear seems to be fighting Ainz and they seem to be on equal footing. Ains isn't as OP as we think he is, or Shalltear is just as OP as him.
"Hi!"
Jul 28, 2015 6:05 PM

Oct 2013
Tylaen said:
OpalMidge said:

I'm sorry for voicing my opinion and saying the episodes thus far shown are boring. Pardon my audacity for even thinking of saying anything negative before the show Is over.

Since I didn't name any names and was saying things in general, I fail to see where I've criticized valid criticisms of the show.

How is using the definition of an Overlord to predict the mediocrity of the anime a valid criticism? Don't get me wrong. So far the anime is doing an admirable job of compacting a detail-oriented series into 13 episodes so it really can't be helped that certain things are not the same as in the source material.

However, that being said, it's been only 4 episodes and 1 volume completed. If you don't like what you see, obviously I highly doubt it will get better. The show is a blatant power fantasy, no nondelusional fan will tell you it's not. The reason some of us like it in spite of it is that the author managed to create an appealing reason for the story being a power fantasy. Obviously it's not everyone's cup of tea but stuff like complaining about a level 100 character curb-stomping not-even-level-20 characters and how he is unchallenged and the series will be mediocre because he's OP confuses me.

Edit: MAL not loading messed up my response :-(
OpalMidgeJul 28, 2015 6:28 PM
Jul 28, 2015 6:08 PM

Sep 2008
To be honest i LOVE absolutely OP characters. Or just OP characters in general, i'm really sick of the shounen "powerful cause WILL AND FRIENDS AND YEAH!!!" Can't get enough of them. Even characters who are stronger than most and not absolutely OP i enjoy but this takes the cake. This episode was absolutely 10/10 for me.

I will read the LN later but the manga doesn't even come close to the level of detail in this anime.
Jul 28, 2015 6:08 PM

Apr 2015
OpalMidge said:
Tylaen said:

However, that being said, it's been only 4 episodes and 1 volume completed. If you don't like what you see, obviously I highly doubt it will get better.

I'm hoping it'll go like Log Horizon.
Jul 28, 2015 6:24 PM

Oct 2013
Tylaen said:
OpalMidge said:

However, that being said, it's been only 4 episodes and 1 volume completed. If you don't like what you see, obviously I highly doubt it will get better.

In what way? Maybe I can find a nonspoilery way of telling you if it does or does not.
Jul 28, 2015 6:32 PM

Apr 2015
OpalMidge said:
Tylaen said:

In what way? Maybe I can find a nonspoilery way of telling you if it does or does not.

Log Horizon was a very drawn out and it took awhile for it to get exciting, until they started the arc In which Shiroe

I'm hoping the boring parts will be made up for with something as significant as that. Doesn't help that
Jul 28, 2015 6:36 PM

Sep 2008
Tylaen said:
OpalMidge said:

Log Horizon was a very drawn out and it took awhile for it to get exciting, until they started the arc In which Shiroe

I'm hoping the boring parts will be made up for with something as significant as that. Doesn't help that

Not like that's surprising to be honest. Shirous issue

But Ainz issue is

Want an accurate comparison? Log Horizon except only Shirou was stuck in the world and no other player. It's pretty much that.
Jul 28, 2015 6:40 PM

Apr 2015
TheUnknownMerc said:

Want an accurate comparison? Log Horizon except only Shirou was stuck in the world and no other player. It's pretty much that.

That's not really my issue, though.
Jul 28, 2015 6:44 PM

Sep 2008
Tylaen said:
TheUnknownMerc said:

That's not really my issue, though.

I'm just saying it's a more accurate comparison. I'm hoping this series will have multiple seasons to draw out the story more. I don't think this can be done in 1 season of 12 episodes.
Jul 28, 2015 6:46 PM

Mar 2013
So far, not very interesting. I'll keep trying. Somehow the plot is not getting to me. What MC is trying to achieve? Most MMO anime usually have a goal but this one is confusing.
Jul 28, 2015 6:48 PM

Apr 2015
Starting to love this serie even more and more love op characters and when he blackholed the shit out of those angels DAMN SON
Jul 28, 2015 6:50 PM

Sep 2008
zetsubousei_hero said:
So far, not very interesting. I'll keep trying. Somehow the plot is not getting to me. What MC is trying to achieve? Most MMO anime usually have a goal but this one is confusing.

...This isn't really an MMO Anime, SAO Had a guy state "To get out, complete the level," .Hack// was searching for the "Key of the Twilight," Log Horizon was "Finding out wtf is going on and dealing with life."

The difference between Overlord and those is that 1) There are no other players to talk to, 2) There is no objective to leave or anything to search for, 3) You actually don't know if they are in an MMO...

Think more of it like...the game itself became the real world...what do you do when that happens? See if anyone else from your world is also there....other than that...just deal with life. In this case he is just learning about the world...And i guess world domination.

So i guess you can say the whole goal is 1) Finding other players who may be inside the world now and 2) Finding out about the world...and 3) World domination.
Jul 28, 2015 6:51 PM

Mar 2013
Crashmatt said:
poepzooi said:
Albedo best girl of this season

this !

Can't beat a good Yandere

She is another Hestia Kamisama. Overly hype.
Jul 28, 2015 6:56 PM

Mar 2013
TheUnknownMerc said:
zetsubousei_hero said:

...This isn't really an MMO Anime, SAO Had a guy state "To get out, complete the level," .Hack// was searching for the "Key of the Twilight," Log Horizon was "Finding out wtf is going on and dealing with life."

The difference between Overlord and those is that 1) There are no other players to talk to, 2) There is no objective to leave or anything to search for, 3) You actually don't know if they are in an MMO...

Think more of it like...the game itself became the real world...what do you do when that happens? See if anyone else from your world is also there....other than that...just deal with life. In this case he is just learning about the world...And i guess world domination.

So i guess you can say the whole goal is 1) Finding other players who may be inside the world now and 2) Finding out about the world...and 3) World domination.

Thanks for the explanation and I'll keep trying.
Jul 28, 2015 7:02 PM

Sep 2008
I'm not really trying to convince anyone that this is a good anime. I'm just saying the way some people are thinking is a bit off for the series. As you can't really think of it like..."he's in an MMO how does he get out." It's more like...his character became a real person...the MMO world is the real world now...and now you are going to learn about what this world is. That's why i like him being OP...and characters who are usually OP...you have less about them LEVELING UP and TRAINING, and more about learning the world they live in and the characters...and the obstacles that fall onto THOSE characters and the world are usually solved by the MC OP character to progress this world learning.
Jul 28, 2015 7:06 PM

Oct 2012
zetsubousei_hero said:
Crashmatt said:

this !

Can't beat a good Yandere

She is another Hestia Kamisama. Overly hype.

Albedo has good character development, or is a deeper character, later on. I doubt that the anime will cover up to that point, or hint at her "plans".

But for this anime, she will pretty much be a Hestia.

Edit: And by plans I don't mean

not really a spoiler
zxrdmJul 28, 2015 7:12 PM
Jul 28, 2015 7:16 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode, great battles took place, but less bloody than the previous episode, but I'm enjoying the anime spare no violence, still has the Albedo's reactions that bring a little comedy to the plot and the protagonist changes his name of Momonga for Ainz Ooal Gown, I'm anxious to see the next episodes ..
Jul 28, 2015 7:19 PM

Sep 2013
Ainz obviously will be challenged, are you people serious? :O
Whether the anime adapts more of the novel is the real issue.
Just this ep. we learned that these humans know Yggdrasil magic which means a player(s) like Ainz should be here.
The priest who gave the guy a 7 tier summon like nothing is suspicious as fck.
Jul 28, 2015 7:31 PM

Nov 2008
Fucking seriesly people are bitching about Momonga being OP as hell this is only the beginning of the series, PROLOGUE. I just hope this won't be like Tatsuya from Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei where people bitched about him. This why I do research, I found out that there are people in this world that are on par with Momonga or even stronger then him, so yeah people bitch about the stupidest things.
HollowIchigo58Jul 28, 2015 7:41 PM
Jul 28, 2015 7:53 PM

Jan 2011
It was pretty damn clear from the start Ainz would be op as fuck normally not an fan of op characters but for this setting it seems fine i mean the guy is the overlord that's like expecting the demon lord of a dragon quest game not to be strong.

having said that you know there's gonna be people to match his strength in the future i'm betting on the friends he keeps talking about.
Jul 28, 2015 8:16 PM

Jul 2015
It seems people are annoyed because the plot is not very clear and/or the MC is OP.

Well, I thought it was common sense that if you are in a place that you were never been, you would start asking questions to yourself and try to get as more information as possible with little risk as possible. Thats exactly what the MC is trying to do. Didn't expect people would need more information for the plot. You are learning about the world with Ainz by each ep. This ep showed that Ainz is not sure if he is that powerful. He used Gazef as a guinea pig first before acting.

Log Horizon did have some of the same concept with Shiroe trying to figure out what the hell happened, but he had other players with him from the very beginning. Until now, Ainz is alone figuring a way to find others like him.
Jul 28, 2015 8:45 PM

Aug 2008
Tylaen said:
OpalMidge said:

Your entitled to an opinion but if you can't defend it then your opinion is pretty much worth shit, so either defend it or shut up.

Anyhow what do you people expect him not to be op? If this early on he meets people he can't already handle then he would obviously be fucked already. In the very beginning we already know he's maxed level. Geared out in some of the best of the best gear. Part of one of the top guilds that ranked within the top 10 during it's peak.

A lot of this we already learned so him being very strong is something we shouldn't be surprised in. Besides even though he is op he sets lots of limitations for how he can handle situations mostly out of paranoia and in a way this proves just being OP(stat and power wise) won't accomplish what you want easily. To me this is what the series ends up being more about.
Jul 28, 2015 8:59 PM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, that was some ownage. Maybe he'll run into Kirito, that would be interesting. I'm sure there are other human players that were trapped in the mmorpg
Jul 28, 2015 9:07 PM

Apr 2015
Iazrien said:
Tylaen said:

Your entitled to an opinion but if you can't defend it then your opinion is pretty much worth shit, so either defend it or shut up.

Wow, shit. I didn't expect the opinion reviewing police to step onto my door. Excuse me, sir but regardless of we already knowing he Is the hottest shit that'll ever walk the earth, it's still fucking boring.

You're not exactly convincing me otherwise by saying "Yeah, He Is. HERE IS STUFF THAT'S ALREADY BEEN TOLD TO YOU."
TylaenJul 28, 2015 9:13 PM
Jul 28, 2015 9:16 PM

Aug 2008
Tylaen said:
Wow, shit. I didn't expect the opinion reviewing police to step onto my door. Excuse me, sir but regardless of we already knowing he Is the hottest shit that'll ever walk the earth, it's still fucking boring.

Many of us will disagree but if you so blatantly don't like it just drop there series I'm sure not many of us will miss you and you might just be doing yourself a service. But to me it seems like you want it to be something that it already established it isn't and you disagree with it but it never lead you to believe it was anything else in the first place.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2015

246 by MrList »»
Jun 23, 11:01 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.