Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (20) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
Sep 21, 2014 8:56 AM

Sep 2014
ccdewa said:
Don't be so childish, its just a matter of what kind of anime and everyone must have a different taste
Don't force your ideal to someone else if you don't want to be forced too

I think the problem is the idea of insinuating old anime is a distinct type/kind of anime when in fact the shows of yesteryear are no different to the anime of today when you get down to the root of it. There are shows like Madoka that too harken back to the shows of yesterday. There are tropes and ideologies buried in shows of today that have direct connections to the shows of the past. Directors of today who've been directly inspired by past shows. Sure the animation can differ from each decade, and it's true that a lot of the older stuff can look off putting for many due to technical limitations. But that's all it is, technical limitations. It's also true that shows from the past tend to focus on certain tropes, a big one being the giant robot genre but is that really that different from shows today? To bundle them all up into one big pile due to the date seems foolhardy. I think the same of people who brush off modern shows with a broad stroke too.

Nobody has to watch anime from the past because ya know...we watch shows in order to entertain ourselves. Nobody should tell you what to enjoy. So if you haven't really dipped your toes in the older stuff that's fine, but personally like with anything that I enjoy I feel that it makes sense from a fundamental point of view to reach out to every decade in order to get a grasp of how far we've come, and to get a better understanding of how things have progressed or even regressed since and just understand the roots and heritage of anime in general. You'll find diamonds in the rough and maybe you'll walk out hating everything! But that's okay; it's fun to try out different things. Hey nobody said history had to be fun right?
Sep 21, 2014 9:00 AM

Apr 2014
vigorousjammer said:
Milk_is_Special said:
This looks perfectly fine by me. It is just harder to put a lot of detail non stop in an anime because IT HAS TO BE ANIMATED. When it contains so much detail like the first picture , it would be impossible to animate without a budget that is bigger then all the money that the US has. And to be honest it doesn't even look bad, when you compare it to different shows it has quite a lot of detail in it, so stop bitching about the current animation/art style because if you don't like it, stop watching it.

Well, I guess I'm fine with most of the character designs that they've shown... but, as far as the main character goes... Maybe this will paint a little bit of a better picture as to why I'm disappointed:

It's not even about a lack of detail, it's about how they changed his character entirely. Also, you can get rid of details and still keep an art style that is consistent with the source material, as evidenced with many of the anime adaptations of manga in the 90's.
The way they changed things just reeks of marketers saying "hey, this is what's hot now, let's change it so it's like that, so more people will buy it"

Also, telling me to "Stop bitching" or "Stop watching it", is pretty insulting.
Am I not allowed to voice my opinion, in the hopes that it may become a small part of a louder overall collective voice... to show that people are still interested in that kind of classic style of anime... the style of anime which is the reason why I initially fell in love with the format in the first place! ...to hopefully get creators to realize that there's still a market for that style of anime!
I will not "stop bitching", as you so eloquently put it, because that will not change anything, and if things continue the way they are, I may not end up liking any more anime that gets released, and THAT SUCKS.
It is just the way I express emotions in a comment, don't take it personally.
Oct 11, 2014 2:43 AM
Jun 2014
Toucanbird said:
Whoever argued that "character design" in older anime is worse is fucking stupid.

Character design for the most part is different based on the type of story it is. If it's comedy, it's going to have a simpler, cartoonish design and if it's a gritty action series, than the designs are going to be sharper and more polished. That's true with both new AND old anime...so I don't get why someone would say "the character design is worse."

In my opinion, the biggest difference between older and new anime is the amount of frames used and how polished the animation is. All things considered, hand-drawn cell animation is much more difficult to put out in a timely fashion than newer, digital productions. Most "action based" anime back in the day had clunkier, slower action scenes when compared to action anime nowadays. Not saying there weren't any good action anime back in the day, just saying they weren't as fluid as anime nowadays.

I like some older anime. I honestly haven't seen a ton of anime before 2002, so I wouldn't be a very good judge of anime pre-2000, but what I have seen is pretty good. I can't complain about the quality of story pre-2000, that's for sure.

Wrong, very few people like mullets
Dem anime hipsters tho πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Oct 11, 2014 3:01 AM
Jun 2014
Qaiz said:
ccdewa said:
Don't be so childish, its just a matter of what kind of anime and everyone must have a different taste
Don't force your ideal to someone else if you don't want to be forced too

I think the problem is the idea of insinuating old anime is a distinct type/kind of anime when in fact the shows of yesteryear are no different to the anime of today when you get down to the root of it. There are shows like Madoka that too harken back to the shows of yesterday. There are tropes and ideologies buried in shows of today that have direct connections to the shows of the past. Directors of today who've been directly inspired by past shows. Sure the animation can differ from each decade, and it's true that a lot of the older stuff can look off putting for many due to technical limitations. But that's all it is, technical limitations. It's also true that shows from the past tend to focus on certain tropes, a big one being the giant robot genre but is that really that different from shows today? To bundle them all up into one big pile due to the date seems foolhardy. I think the same of people who brush off modern shows with a broad stroke too.

Nobody has to watch anime from the past because ya know...we watch shows in order to entertain ourselves. Nobody should tell you what to enjoy. So if you haven't really dipped your toes in the older stuff that's fine, but personally like with anything that I enjoy I feel that it makes sense from a fundamental point of view to reach out to every decade in order to get a grasp of how far we've come, and to get a better understanding of how things have progressed or even regressed since and just understand the roots and heritage of anime in general. You'll find diamonds in the rough and maybe you'll walk out hating everything! But that's okay; it's fun to try out different things. Hey nobody said history had to be fun right?

Yeah to some people its a different type of anime that they dont enjoy such as myself with a few exceptions. Also many people say that theyre the roots and they made current anime possibl eand while thats true it doesnt mean we need to see the roots and cat just stare at the pretty leaves at the top.
Dem anime hipsters tho πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Oct 11, 2014 3:10 AM

Sep 2014
YOU KNOW I am just sick and tired of people like you who who make these pointless threads

here's the best idea of the century why not ignore them?
Oct 11, 2014 3:13 AM

Jan 2013
I agree, anything before 2014 is old and visually unappealing, to me at least.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 11, 2014 4:44 AM

Aug 2014
The animation in alot of older things looks alot better to me sometimes. For example, cowboy bebop and evangelion looks better than that crappy sao kirito vs death gun fight. The worst period for animation was the early digital stuff that wasn't HD.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 11, 2014 4:57 AM

May 2012
I can find something visually appealing as far as the early 2000's, but the visuals of most before that don't attract me. I did like Angel Densetsu, Ranma 1/2, Sailor Moon, etc. though.

The visuals are really the only thing holding me back from watching some of the earlier anime.

Oct 11, 2014 5:10 AM

Apr 2014
Cabron said:
But why do you only have shows made before 2014 in your favorites. Troll exposed people, troll exposed.
Oct 11, 2014 5:36 AM

Dec 2009
There are enough people who watch old anime to make conversation with. You shouldn't worry too much about people who never watch retro series.

I will say though that those people who don't watch anything before K-On are missing on a lot of good shows.
Oct 11, 2014 5:51 AM

Aug 2014
I find the visual in a lot of new stuff underwhelming. Gits Sac still looks better than many of the current shows.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Oct 11, 2014 7:36 AM

Nov 2010
Culex said:
There are enough people who watch old anime to make conversation with. You shouldn't worry too much about people who never watch retro series.

I will say though that those people who don't watch anything before K-On are missing on a lot of good shows.
None as good as K-ON though.
Oct 11, 2014 7:54 AM

Apr 2008
I feel the same about them as I do people that refuse to watch black and white movies. I can't take them seriously as fans of the medium. Quality is one thing - I don't like watching things in low quality either. But I don't give a shit about the age of something, and neither should you.
Oct 11, 2014 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
I like to associate with those who don't care and just watch anything they think is good.
Not that I get along with many people in the first place.

Having probably watched an anime from most eras of animation dating as far back as 1960, I can safely say all that matters to me is the story or subject matter.

There have always been and hopefully always will be writers/mangaka out there with something interesting to share with the world, and animators to spread their messages.
Oct 11, 2014 9:25 AM

Mar 2014
Did people really revive this thread?
Oct 11, 2014 9:30 AM

Jan 2009
Plate said:
I feel the same about them as I do people that refuse to watch black and white movies. I can't take them seriously as fans of the medium. Quality is one thing - I don't like watching things in low quality either. But I don't give a shit about the age of something, and neither should you.

Appropriate analogy.
Oct 11, 2014 10:37 AM

Sep 2012
I don't give a FUCK about older anime, I'm just here for luls! :D
β˜• Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. β˜•
Oct 11, 2014 10:42 AM

Apr 2014
People who don't watch old anime are literally Hitler; the only worse people are those who think that lolis are little girls.
your waifu is shit
Oct 11, 2014 10:47 AM
Jul 2013
old is called old for a reason.
Oct 11, 2014 10:48 AM

Oct 2012

SzJ said:
People who don't watch old anime are literally Hitler; the only worse people are those who think that lolis are little girls.

Lolis are.. big girls?
Oct 11, 2014 10:56 AM

Mar 2013
Sung-Hwan said:

Because it's old?
Oct 11, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
Milk_is_Special said:
Cabron said:
But why do you only have shows made before 2014 in your favorites. Troll exposed people, troll exposed.
I don't know what you're talking about...
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 11, 2014 11:18 AM
Jul 2013
fst said:
Sung-Hwan said:

Because it's old?

because it fucking
Oct 11, 2014 11:39 AM

Apr 2014
Cabron said:
Milk_is_Special said:
I don't know what you're talking about...
Nvm, read it wrong.
Oct 11, 2014 11:40 AM

Apr 2014
jayss said:

SzJ said:

Lolis are.. big girls?
Defuq?
Oct 11, 2014 12:09 PM

Aug 2014
I consider anything below 2000 old.

I don't mind old anime since I quite enjoyed DBZ, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun
Oct 11, 2014 12:15 PM

Oct 2012
I'm not saying old animes are bad but I cannot watch them. I've watched too many quality shows WITH good animation to watch a good show with mediocre (compared to todays standards) animation. And people who have a problem with that need to understand that just because something they watched 10 years ago was AMAZING to them doesnt mean the next generation or someone who started watching anime recently because of something like Attack On Titan will enjoy it.
Oct 11, 2014 12:16 PM

Sep 2014
I think such people are fools to basically write off a anime for no other reason, then the fact it was colored by hand, opposed to using a computer to color them.

They are missing out on a lot of awesome anime, for no real reason.

I mean come on, do you write off art on say DA, just because It's hand colored? Why the hell would you do that with anime then sigh(good art, is good art) ?
Oct 11, 2014 12:25 PM
Mar 2013
they are morons who are missing out on some great shows

the same goes for people who refuse to watch new anime
Oct 11, 2014 12:51 PM

Jul 2014
I feel bad for em.

They miss out on some good stuff. But it's none of my business.
Nov 22, 2014 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
Hand drawn > Digital.

It's appealing as fk.
Nov 22, 2014 4:32 AM

Oct 2014
People who refuse to watch old anime because they're old & not drawn with a computer are complete idiots. I have no time for them.
Nov 22, 2014 4:35 AM

Jun 2014
I like some old anime such as Trigun and Rurouni Kenshin, but I won't watch anything that is too old which are anime like Fist of the North Star
Nov 22, 2014 4:42 AM

Jan 2013
JD2411 said:
they are morons who are missing out on some great shows

the same goes for people who refuse to watch new anime
Nov 22, 2014 4:58 AM

Jul 2014
I find people like that to be incredibly closed minded and it highlights a major problem with the anime fandom. It shows us that a lot don't even watch it for good storytelling and all they want is pretty visuals.
Take care of yourself

Nov 22, 2014 5:32 AM

Oct 2013
anything below 2000 is quite hard to watch unless its really good
i prefer to have things visually appealing otherwise i would be reading more books instead of watching shows.
SadforyouNov 22, 2014 6:36 AM
Nov 22, 2014 5:44 AM

Jul 2007
At times it's pretty hard to get into old(er) anime, mainly because of the old animation-style. But if the show is good enough (aka Slam Dunk, Hajime no Ippo etc.) it doesn't really matter much. Epicness wins from old-animation.
Nov 22, 2014 6:23 AM
Sep 2014
I can't stand them too, they're missing a lot of good shows.
Nov 22, 2014 7:05 AM

Nov 2014
Well, sometimes it's difficult or painful to watch old animation. I struggled to finish and ended up hating the Hokuto no Ken anime, even though I love the manga. Other series like Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road are really good in spite of the old animation style.
Metal is my passion, Iron Maiden is my religion!
Nov 22, 2014 7:15 AM

Jul 2010
Let them be, they are missing on some good old anime. They will learn that animation does not matter as long as the contents are good with an experience or once they are older. And if they don't, well its their own loss, not mine ^^.

Oh and lol at those that say 5-10 years is old. I consider old anime 80's and older. And 70's and 80's were great years for anime. So many good anime were released in those decades.

If you want to watch really old anime, watch stuff from 20's and 30's, thats some good old shit. And there are dozens of those available, some are pretty neat.
Nov 22, 2014 8:06 AM

Apr 2013
JUON said:
nucblus said:

Depends on the person. Some say 2004 and up, some 2006, and some can't watch anything more than five years old.

Wow, am I the only one here who considers old anything before, say, 1998? o.o

no, I'm about the same. Before 1995; I think.
Nov 22, 2014 8:09 AM
Jun 2013
I'm like the exact opposite for anime and eroge. While i love old anime, I don't play any eroge released before 2011.
Nov 22, 2014 8:11 AM

Oct 2012
I honestly enjoy 90's early 2000's anime a lot more than some of the newer stuff in this day and age. I like the vintage look of the animation and the voices as well.
Nov 22, 2014 8:18 AM

Apr 2014
I just watched the Macross movie. It was okay but I think if it was made today, it could have been a lot better.
your waifu is shit
Nov 22, 2014 8:26 AM

Jun 2014
I watch both, but I prefer older Anime more. Being a classic Anime fan, I don't really pay attention to people who refuse to watch older stuff, as I can't relate to them as well.

Here's something interesting I've noticed. Look at a user's list, and if they have watched "Angel Beats," and ranked it 9 or 10, or have it in their favorites list, there's a 90% chance that they won't watch older Anime.

Nov 22, 2014 8:29 AM

Feb 2010
I recently saw the first guy request only post 2012 anime in a recommendation thread.
I laughed in his face.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 22, 2014 8:29 AM

Dec 2013
I'll watch almost anything, though I tend to prefer older shows because I appreciate hand drawn animation much more. Writing quality is generally a little better, there's also a lot less otaku pandering and moe.
Nov 22, 2014 8:30 AM
Jun 2013
Working_Designs said:
Here's something interesting I've noticed. Look at a user's list, and if they have watched "Angel Beats," and ranked it 9 or 10, or have it in their favorites list, there's a 90% chance that they won't watch older Anime.

anyone that rate sword art online above 7 fits also
Nov 22, 2014 8:30 AM

Oct 2008
SzJ said:
I just watched the Macross movie. It was okay but I think if it was made today, it could have been a lot better.

Clearly,all the mechas would be rendered in 3D CGI and all the backgrounds would be completely bland and generic.
Nov 22, 2014 8:34 AM
Mar 2013
I think people who refuse to watch newer anime are more obnoxious and narrow-minded tbh
Pages (20) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» "The anime is better than the manga" you ever heard that one before?

Yuusey - 4 hours ago

32 by alexw1020 »»
4 minutes ago

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre?

Semester1 - 5 hours ago

18 by Patatita »»
9 minutes ago

» Underrated movies

JoeChip - 5 hours ago

33 by kizumi91 »»
25 minutes ago

» What's an anime people consider messed up that has no effect on you

isseixkoneko - May 26

32 by isseixkoneko »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you love your favorite character?

Shizuna - Yesterday

14 by Maou_heika »»
58 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.