Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2013 11:09 AM

Sep 2012
Looks like a good show. I don't like the bookworm girl who is always freaking out.
Jul 7, 2013 1:49 PM

Jul 2013
It's very interesting and mystic anime! I haven't played the game)) But I've seen other work of Kishi Seiji (Persona 4) and I love it very much!!))) I will see Danganronpa! Monokuma is diabolic and cawaii at the same time))) heheheh)))))))))))
Jul 7, 2013 2:48 PM

May 2013
Pretty average first episode but I liked the premise. Makes me wonder who will kill who. I need to find a way to play this visual novel. Many of the characters seems pretty generic especially the mc but it's only the first episode, a lot can change especially in a murder mystery setting.
"Listen Simon... Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself." ~ Kamina (TTGL)

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that’s where you’ll find the things more important than what you want.” ~ Ging (HxH)
Jul 7, 2013 3:24 PM

Aug 2011
This is the most fucked up anime i have seen for a while..

However, one thing is clear.. I want to kill that fucking bear so badly.
Jul 7, 2013 3:58 PM

Jul 2013
Yuyunarutoballz said:
Anyone else alittle ticked off that it's basically a copy and paste of the game? I mean, I'm all for faithfulness but this is just ridiculous. They have the exact same postures and everything. It feels more like a "Let's Play!" than a "Animation"

I'm disappoint they didn't take the animation in a different direction. It does feel a bit like a rushed Let's Play like you say. But hell, I'll take seeing Togami baby in motion.
Jul 7, 2013 4:35 PM

Jul 2012
The first episode wasn't quite as strong of a start as I hoped it to be, but oh well. The plot sounds interesting and I really like how unique the characters are ( My favorite so far is Celestia ). I'm curious to see who the first killer will be.
Jul 7, 2013 6:09 PM
Jun 2010
so far, amazing! happy to see this season of anime once again will have an anime that as this different feeling of survival and mystery to it with a bit of darkness, aint that many of those nowadays all we get is highschool romance and ecchi
Jul 7, 2013 6:10 PM

Jun 2012
Hope this isn't as disappointing as Kishi's last video game anime/adaptation

Monobear couldn't have said it better where he said he ripped this premise right out from a mystery novel
HybridMBLJul 7, 2013 6:38 PM
Jul 7, 2013 6:16 PM

Nov 2012
im so excited!! although i already know what happens i hope the rest of you have fun watching and guessing!

idk why but its weird seeing them moving and talking but i like it anyway

13 episodes seems really short to me considering the last few chapters are kinda long but maybe they can pull it off?? (theres probably gonna be no free time events,, which is kinda lame but ok)
Jul 7, 2013 7:26 PM

May 2013
monokuma is amazing,

he (?) had two face, and look like cute and annoying chara in same time :haha:
Jul 7, 2013 7:29 PM

Jan 2010
Yuyunarutoballz said:
Anyone else alittle ticked off that it's basically a copy and paste of the game? I mean, I'm all for faithfulness but this is just ridiculous.

No what's ridiculous is complaining about an adaption being too faithful.

Faithful, not faithful. Either way someone complains. You can't please anyone!!! Seriously, I feel bad for the creators that actually try and make it faithful for the fans. Because said fans are too damn picky.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2013 7:32 PM

Oct 2012
VioLink said:

HA HA time for despair!

I like the way they handled the character introduction, also dat game OST along with some new BGMs nice.

HAHAH i took a screenshot of that exact scene too ! it reminded me too much of Another.. this is gonna be good I Can see it now.
Jul 7, 2013 9:27 PM

Jun 2012
Isshimaru and Mondo lookin fine!

The Animations a bit stiff :|.
OchimushaJul 7, 2013 9:32 PM
Jul 8, 2013 1:07 AM

Oct 2012
wonder if they'll make the blood red instead of pink
Jul 8, 2013 1:25 AM

May 2012
bobyn said:
wonder if they'll make the blood red instead of pink
The preview video had pink blood, so no, they won't. That's a good thing though, wouldn't really be Danganronpa without it.
Jul 8, 2013 2:05 AM
May 2013
I think danganronpa will be best anime on this season...
Jul 8, 2013 3:00 AM

Jan 2013
that bears laugh creeps me out
Jul 8, 2013 3:31 AM

Sep 2009
What's with this series? It's like Angel Beats :/
hmmp! I'm starting to hate some of the characters here already...
But there's one character that interest me -- Kyouko "Miss Conan" Kirigiri.
I might continue finish this series.
Jul 8, 2013 5:11 AM

Oct 2011
This is really good so far. I wonder how they'll all kill each other.. maybe the Monobear wants everyone to kill each other so that nobody comes out alive.
Jul 8, 2013 5:51 AM

Jul 2012
diyedas said:
Yuyunarutoballz said:
Anyone else alittle ticked off that it's basically a copy and paste of the game? I mean, I'm all for faithfulness but this is just ridiculous.

Faithful, not faithful. Either way someone complains. You can't please anyone!!! Seriously, I feel bad for the creators that actually try and make it faithful for the fans. Because said fans are too damn picky.

Thank you. THANK YOU.
Jul 8, 2013 6:11 AM
Jul 2013
I've been anticipating Danganronpa ever since I first heard about it because I was really interested in the premise and I happen to be a sucker for survival games like this. XD

I haven't played the game and probably never will but ill be following the anime as well as the recent english LP of the game for comparisons and additional information.

Ill start off with my thoughts on the first episode. I could say it was pretty good start and I really enjoyed it though it did feel a bit rushed even if I haven't watched the LP at the time but its understandable since it will only last for 13 eps. The art designs are just like the game though it looks kinda cartoonish but its tolerable. The characters themselves are your typical anime stereotypes which I don't really mind at all though I think there weren't introduced properly due to the time constraints but after watching the LP, I found some of them really interesting especially Maizono (Which btw ill be rooting for.) Celes, Togami, Junko, Chihiro, Aoi, Kirigiri and Naegi. The OP and ED wasn't as thrilling and addicting as Mirai Nikki but I appreciate that they used the same OP and soundtrack from the game. The premise is what really got me into this show and I bet everyone else also started watching this because of the premise alone. XD

I've also watched the LP and I could say I still enjoyed it just as much as I did as the anime. Though I only watched as far as the anime is right now but I got to learn a bit more about some of the characters and clarified things which were not addressed in the anime and although it does seem fateful but I've noticed some differences in terms of how certain events are played out in the anime compared with the game. Although these differences don't really have a significant impact to the story but just to be safe, I would like to state them under spoiler tags.

That's just some of the differences I've observed between the anime and the game within the context of the first episode and again it doesn't make much of a difference to the main story as far as I know but its still interesting.

Anyways. Ill be looking forward to how this will all unfold especially when all the murders and trials begin. "evil grin"
Jul 8, 2013 6:31 AM

Dec 2007
prob going to be the best anime of the season(excluding rozen maiden) remake for me. Enjoyed the episode a lot hope it continues to improve and doesnt throw out any stupid twists and ruin itself.
Jul 8, 2013 7:01 AM

Aug 2012
i haven't played the game but decided to watch this series only because Chiwa Saito is in it, i found this episode was quite good. Kyouko is really interesting and likable, based on the appearance, attitude and personality (and that ??? as her speciality), i'm guessing that she will have quite an important role and won't die soon..

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Jul 8, 2013 8:29 AM

Jun 2011
Another survival thriller-esque anime. Seems okay so far.
The visuals, particularly the backgrounds in a few scenes look pretty cool. For a moment there, I thought SHAFT is behind this show. The character designs will take a bit getting used to.
Jul 8, 2013 10:09 AM

Jul 2013
diyedas said:
Yuyunarutoballz said:

'Ticked off' might be a little strong, but I get what he's saying.

An adaption of a story from one medium to another should at least take advantage of the medium's unique characteristics to provide another layer of interpretation. The anime adaption of Dangan doesn't go far enough in giving a unique interpretation is all he's saying. Now you may not agree, and that's fine. But there's more to the criticism than just being nitpicky.
Jul 8, 2013 10:18 AM

Sep 2012
This is so good *__*
Jul 8, 2013 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
shit
Jul 8, 2013 1:38 PM

Oct 2012
The end really got me going the face of the characters when they watch their video OMG ... a couple of them did not react thought but i think this series is promising.
Jul 8, 2013 2:13 PM

Dec 2012
I was really excited when the news about this adaptation was announced to fill my craving for some survivor horrors similar to the likes of Higurashi, Mirai Nikki, Another, and Btooom! But the first episode was a little underwhelming to be honest.

I understand the attempt to feature more prominently wacky elements to distinguish the show from traditional horrors. However, doing it to much can play down the sense of danger and that's a big no no for a horror flick. I reckon they purposely played down danger for now in order to shock us with the up-coming deaths. Depending on how well wackiness and horror blend together, only by then, the Pedobear + Doraemon main antagonist, the snazzy environment, and the over-the-top characters can create a unique horror.

As for the episode itself, I do find the Monobear character interesting. He has both "light" and "dark" sides which bring about comical interactions. But his design is too asymmetrical to be appealing. Because of that, he looks better from the sides than from the front or back.

Regarding the students, the most memorable characters for me are the highschool Scion guy, the mysterious highschool ??? white hair girl, and the highschool fighter. If I have to guess who are certain to die, I would choose the Otaku guy and the Otaku girl. The guy is looking to be built up as sympathetically adorable chubby friend while the girl occupies the role of stereotypical annoying fujoshi. I doubt both will contribute significantly to the story, thus they can be killed for plot advancement.

All in all, the anime has great potentials but the first episode lack a strong sense of danger to create any "wow" factor for people anticipating a great horror. I hope this changes in the next episode because I feel right now the show is closer to Highschool of the Death minus the fan-service than Battle Royale.
Jul 8, 2013 2:56 PM
Feb 2013
sakuraoogami said:
Leeeet's not turn this thread into a discussion about the fandom (although I do agree that a majority of the western fanbase is /really/ bad, but I don't really get involved with these people, and I don't even see how someone can stop themselves from enjoying something just because a group of people who like said thing are annoying but well).

Let's focus on how cute Naegi is.

I love him! ^_^
Jul 8, 2013 2:58 PM
Feb 2013
So far this anime is really good! I like all the weird characters :P And the theme of it is so gruesome, it's amazing! But this is a 13 episode anime which seems pretty short to have the whole story, so i hope it has a 2nd season ^^ (And if it doesn't, let's hope it at least raps up the whole story in season 1, i don't want another BTOOOM!! moment T^T )
Jul 8, 2013 3:13 PM

Mar 2010
Judging from this ep i am 98.8% sure im dropping this.

Why?

Took 7 minutes to watch the entire episode. Awfully clishe to those people who have seen all kinds of survival anime and stories :/ (battle royale, hunger games, gantz, btooom..)

Also ''typical'' character as main character - let me bet 100 bucks on it that he will use the ability to be ''typical'' to win the game. (iris zero, Mx0..)

What i want to say is- if you are not familiar with the setting, you might like it, otherwise, so cliche it is boring D:

ps. if it comes out with something ''unique'' i'd gladly accept messages telling me so.

ps.ps. why are all ''the animation'' series such disappointments.. (persona 4 made me want to rip my brains out.., Devil survivor wasn't nothing special either..)
LylaazJul 9, 2013 3:50 PM
Jul 8, 2013 3:36 PM

Dec 2012
OriginANIME said:
Damn, looking forward to this.

I tend to watch one anime on-going every season and I think I chose the right one. :)

Maybe you should pick up Blood Lad as well :D
Jul 8, 2013 4:22 PM
May 2010
Just a quick heads-up to everyone on the fence about the show; I'm putting this in a spoiler tag since someone, somewhere, might find this to be a spoiler. It's a general overview of the tone of the series.

Jul 8, 2013 4:45 PM

Oct 2010
Lylaaz said:
ps. if it comes out with something ''unique'' i'd gladly accept messages telling me so.

So basically, you would expect for people to explain you how awesome the show is and to persuade you to watch it? If you judge the series by one episode then you aren't even fit to watch this. Its not like fans are so desperate to get another viewer on this. Not gonna gain anything from it.
Jul 8, 2013 4:52 PM

Sep 2011
WaffleGod said:
Just a quick heads-up to everyone on the fence about the show; I'm putting this in a spoiler tag since someone, somewhere, might find this to be a spoiler. It's a general overview of the tone of the series.

This guy nailed it, also you didnt say any spoilers or evne give hints in that so dont worry.

I think the only thing id like to add is that while it takes itself seriously it never loses this sense of humor it has ranging from some surprisingly light hearted comedy to just downright dark as hell comedy, 2 of the executions come to mind that were so dark it was really hard to tell there was some comedy in there, though some of them are outright comedic

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 8, 2013 6:50 PM

Jul 2008
I'll stick with this because of everyone saying that it's basically Jesus, but I'm still with everyone else saying that the first episode just wasn't very good.

The setting seems intriguing enough, but I can't get past the feeling that these characters wont' be characters so much as archetypes. Not to mention the character designs are just disgusting. Seriously, this is an ugly anime. Not ugly in the dark sense, ugly in the "this is not attractive or stylish in any way" sense. But, whatever, I can probably get over it. We'll see.
Jul 8, 2013 7:51 PM

Sep 2008
WaffleGod said:

I was basically putting off from commenting because i would be repeating what many people have already said but i really want to point out how perfect this comment is. I'm really glad you said this because I feel that a lot of people are misunderstanding what dangan ronpa is really about but to each their own.

I feel that the anime is definitely off to a good start. I knew that it was going to go much faster pace but it certainly did escalate more quickly than i expected. I'm looking forward to see how the investigations and trials play out as we go along. As long as the trials aren't completely rushed, then I'm fine with the anime taking out other small details and interactions. I am also curious to see how the free time events will play into this. I am not sure if there will be enough time to really get to know more of the characters and that is a bit worrying as it adds more weight to the story towards the end. The tone of the anime certainly seems a bit less dark and dangerous, for now, so I'm looking forward to see this development.

Either way, I'm excited to have something extra to enjoy, as I really love this story. Let's not forget that the voice acting in the game was just brilliant, so being able to hear all of that along with animated characters for 30 minutes is something that really makes me happy.
Jul 8, 2013 7:56 PM

Jun 2012
Lylaaz said:
ps.ps. why are all ''the animation'' series such disappointments.. (persona 4 made me want to rip my brains out.., Devil survivor wasn't nothing special either..)

Because they're based off video games...

It's the same for hentai.
Jul 8, 2013 10:58 PM
Feb 2012
I don't know why people keep saying that Naegi seems like a pussy or a generic weak protagonist just because he isn't a douche or a badass or both.

The thing is that Naegi is supposed to be the average guy. He's not super smart, super strong, or anything like that. But at the same time, hes mentally stable, he's capable of sticking up for himself, he cares about others, but he doesn't cry anytime something bad happens.

He's just a very well-rounded, good protagonist. And he's really good for the player to kind of put themselves in his shoes because while he isn't a straight up player avatar, he's not as exaggerated and strange as the other 14 students. But he still maintains his own personality and story.
Jul 9, 2013 5:42 AM

Sep 2012
I kept thinking DORAEMON when I watched this show...
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jul 9, 2013 6:12 AM

Mar 2012
This anime has some awesome seiyuus and has that Deadman Wonderland vibe. Looking like it has potential to be a pretty awesome anime.
Jul 9, 2013 6:36 AM

Feb 2013
I think they animated the prelude to the series perfectly, I'm just wondering whether they are going to mix up the events of the game to make the series more different such as using the event in the demo as opposed to the final version but I doubt it

P.S.
To anybody who doesn't yet know the 1st game is finally being officially ported to the west by NIS America (which means its probably got a dub track) on PSV, most likely they will also do the 2nd as well
Jul 9, 2013 7:21 AM

Jan 2012
Lylaaz said:

Usually because it's pandering to an already large fanbase and doesn't/can't try to do anything unique due to backlash. Most game adaptations work really well as games but turning it into an anime is often a different story. The difference between the mediums is so vast.
Jul 9, 2013 7:37 AM

Jun 2008
That is one crazy bear. Liker the basic idea although it defies all reality, not very fan of the character style of artwork. It looks too childish and i don't like childish but i've seen a lot worse.
It looks like it's better avoiding forums while watching this cause it will be full of smart asses talking about what is coming and how they supposedly make speculations.
Jul 9, 2013 9:32 AM

Sep 2011
This shit is weird as hell, the one who voices monokuma is fucking DORAEMON!!!!!?????
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Jul 9, 2013 9:33 AM

Sep 2011
symbv said:

Not the only one! Its so strange seeing Doraemon saying all those things...
Jul 9, 2013 10:04 AM

Dec 2012
GodlyKyon said:
symbv said:

You don't know? Doraemon is a sadistic Monobear who preys on the despair of Nobita from years of bullying by Takeshi. The cat's goal was not to ease Nobita's pain but to prolong it so that he can absorb teenage's boy youthful energy (which is apparently the strongest form of energy in the universe btw) to balance the energy lost from decreasing Entropy.
Jul 9, 2013 11:21 AM

Sep 2011
ThangLong said:
GodlyKyon said:
symbv said:

You don't know? Doraemon is a sadistic Monobear who preys on the despair of Nobita from years of bullying by Takeshi. The cat's goal was not to ease Nobita's pain but to prolong it so that he can absorb teenage's boy youthful energy (which is apparently the strongest form of energy in the universe btw) to balance the energy lost from decreasing Entropy.

Nobita does seem to be in trouble all e time, all that stress...
Jul 9, 2013 12:51 PM
Nov 2009
Kinda reminded me of the manga Doubt and Judge except this one seems more ridiculous and weird. Gonna stick up with it though to see if it gets any better.
Pages (12) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2013

782 by MysteriousFriend »»
Aug 12, 10:18 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2013

417 by BakaDorayaki »»
May 16, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

436 by amychar »»
May 7, 3:17 PM

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.