Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 19, 2013 3:40 PM

Jul 2012
Finally, I was starting to really lose hope in this show but it's back. This was a great episode,though I found the hear attack twist kinda lame.

OfficialGuts said:
bastek66 said:
Serioulsy, his tan was noticed last week
lol @ ep 12

If Ledo doesn't look like that in 12, I am gonna flip some lids.
Num1dad_AsuraMay 19, 2013 3:44 PM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
May 19, 2013 3:45 PM

Dec 2007
I am on Ledo's side of things even if he ends up the one who's wrong. :p
May 19, 2013 3:48 PM

Apr 2011
I'm not sure why the heart attack was so "controversial". The captain made references to the next generation having the "privilege" to accept the challenges and his own health issues. It was necessary for his character to explain the relative stability of Gargantia, but he'd only be an impediment to the plot further on.
IneptiaMay 19, 2013 3:59 PM
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
May 19, 2013 3:50 PM

Jan 2012
I so wanted everyone to get trolled this week and it just be a regular squid, my hopes were fulfilled for the first part but it looks like stuff is really kicking off. It was pretty interesting too, looking forward to where this goes.

4/5
May 19, 2013 4:13 PM

Jul 2008
Takana_no_Hana said:
Hmm even if Gargantia fights with the whalesquid, they have nothing to fight, not even a weapon. With the current technology and life style, it's hard enough to even survive (electricity depends on light bugs, water is harvested from rains, etc). If a war started, the whalesquid would exterminate them.

The only reason for them to not attack on the fleet is that the civilization is underdeveloped so they technically ignore Gargantia fleet(and people on Earth). It's a matter of time before they strike, but even then what can Earth people do? It's logical for them to co-exist with the whalesquid, at least at the current time.

Thus, it might be a good idea to use Red and Chamber to explore the lost technologies and than go and fight the Hideauze. Earthlings likely won't get such a strong weapon against Hideauze again. Humanity can either live now and get annihilated in the future or risk and destroy the future threat.
May 19, 2013 4:14 PM

Feb 2008
this begs the question....how long was he in stasis? it also probably leads me to believe that his apearance is what started the war. and ultimately drove humans to leave earth and into space.
May 19, 2013 4:24 PM

Nov 2012
Nayrael said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
Hmm even if Gargantia fights with the whalesquid, they have nothing to fight, not even a weapon. With the current technology and life style, it's hard enough to even survive (electricity depends on light bugs, water is harvested from rains, etc). If a war started, the whalesquid would exterminate them.

The only reason for them to not attack on the fleet is that the civilization is underdeveloped so they technically ignore Gargantia fleet(and people on Earth). It's a matter of time before they strike, but even then what can Earth people do? It's logical for them to co-exist with the whalesquid, at least at the current time.

Thus, it might be a good idea to use Red and Chamber to explore the lost technologies and than go and fight the Hideauze. Earthlings likely won't get such a strong weapon against Hideauze again. Humanity can either live now and get annihilated in the future or risk and destroy the future threat.

It might be a good idea, but I doubted they will go to explore first. Ledo just want to destroy them, and the others are out for blood. Pinion is clearly going for revenge.
May 19, 2013 4:37 PM

Jan 2009
Shit just got real and damn people of Gargantia really likes to play it safe with their belief of co-existence and co-prosperity

so the Whalesquids are really the Hideazu, that implies that Hideazu came from earth they maybe are scientific experiments at one time
May 19, 2013 4:41 PM

Jan 2011
This is what they will find underwater http://i.imgur.com/acI6QGB.jpg
[center]
May 19, 2013 5:05 PM
Feb 2009
so ugh whts going on now
May 19, 2013 5:05 PM

Dec 2009
Marow said:

I guess they'll find Ledo's techs deep underwater and it turns out this may be the future or something.

What I believe is the contrary: Ledo is in the past. He and the other salvagers will be the ones who start the war with the Whalesquids or later Hideauze.

And somehow, I believe Chamber will be the prototype for the mechas of the Alliance.
May 19, 2013 5:10 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
People still think this does not involve time travel should probably examine the series more closely.

Like I said before this is Planet of the Apes + Waterworld.

Ledo is the one who will screw everything.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 19, 2013 5:12 PM

Mar 2012
Marow said:
I guess they'll find Ledo's techs deep underwater and it turns out this may be the future or something.

I actually like this idea better than Ledo being in the past. It feels so much more optimistic; and weren't they going for something like this? Encouraging young people into society or something?
May 19, 2013 5:13 PM
Oct 2010
Linkark07 said:
Marow said:

What I believe is the contrary: Ledo is in the past. He and the other salvagers will be the ones who start the war with the Whalesquids or later Hideauze.

And somehow, I believe Chamber will be the prototype for the mechas of the Alliance.

That doesn't make sense though, how would ledo and chamber exist in the first place if this was the case?
May 19, 2013 5:13 PM

Jan 2012
wakka9ca said:
People still think this does not involve time travel should probably examine the series more closely.

This completely, I didn't want to post it here as it's a massive spoiler. From the very first episode though when he goes through what is essentially a black hole I thought time travel. Especially when he was so disconnected on arrival and Chamber has no map of the area they landed in. I fear you are spot on to be honest but I've felt it for a while.
May 19, 2013 5:15 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Chxistine said:
Marow said:

I actually like this idea better than Ledo being in the past. It feels so much more optimistic; and weren't they going for something like this? Encouraging young people into society or something?

If he is in the past then the prospect is very bleak and hopeless. It will be like Terminator.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
May 19, 2013 5:17 PM
Oct 2010
ReasonDesu said:
wakka9ca said:

This completely, I didn't want to post it here as it's a massive spoiler. From the very first episode though when he goes through what is essentially a black hole I thought time travel. Especially when he was so disconnected on arrival and Chamber has no map of the area they landed in. I fear you are spot on to be honest but I've felt it for a while.

Chamber has no map of earth because they do not have any records of it (or the government chose not to give the records to the general public). Ledo himself thinks earth was just a myth.
May 19, 2013 5:17 PM

Feb 2013
skudoops said:
Linkark07 said:
Marow said:

That doesn't make sense though, how would ledo and chamber exist in the first place if this was the case?

Unfortunately that's the ever present problem with time-travel. Remember John Connor of the Terminator series and how his father is many years younger than he is and John sent him back in time himself so that he could be born? Try to explain that famous time travel mess....
May 19, 2013 5:19 PM
Oct 2010
Irenesharda said:

Unfortunately that's the ever present problem with time-travel. Remember John Connor of the Terminator series? Try to explain that famous time travel mess....

The terminators were used to take out resistance leaders though, those leaders really had no influence (for the most part) in the existence of the terminators themselves.
May 19, 2013 5:20 PM

Jan 2012
skudoops said:

Chamber has no map of earth because they do not have any records of it (or the government chose not to give the records to the general public). Ledo himself thinks earth was just a myth.

Let's see, I'm by no means stating this as fact yet. But to be honest I almost believe this will happen now, no-one knows as it's an original work. In the next few episodes expect it to unfold a little more though.
May 19, 2013 5:21 PM

Feb 2013
skudoops said:
Irenesharda said:

Unfortunately that's the ever present problem with time-travel. Remember John Connor of the Terminator series? Try to explain that famous time travel mess....

The terminators were used to take out resistance leaders though, those leaders really had no influence (for the most part) in the existence of the terminators themselves.

Sorry, I edited my statement, I mean the whole John Connor sending Kyle Reese time mess...
May 19, 2013 5:21 PM
Oct 2012
Ineptia said:
I don't think whalesquid hold as much reverence as you think. Although their existence may depend on the squid, they have already seen the alternative through Ledo and his advanced technology. The reason for the taboo may simply be that they have no means of fighting the whalesquid, until now.

Except Bellows said "leave them alone, they leave you alone." In your experience, do humans proactively seek out to destroy more powerful benign threats, or do they usually say "let sleeping tigers lie?" People don't change that fast, the "promise" of technology hasn't convinced those who are closest to it: Bellows, sub-Commander, why would the rest of the people embrace it so quickly, particularly when what Ledo has shown wouldn't exactly improve their lives?

Ineptia said:
There are still people who think of it as taboo because they recognize the potential danger of such an action but opportunity converts the more capitalistic in society. Their desire (even if for profit) to reclaim humanity's ancient glory would triumph over something like tradition, much like the enlightenment thinkers desire for progress prior to the revolutions.

Do you understand how rare revolutions are, and how often they make things worse? People today don't care about "humanity's glory" why should they in the future? Outside of Amy's brother no one has expressed the least interest in the human's out there. Indeed, if anything, it has been the exact opposite otherwise they wouldn't have been so surprised by Ledo's actions.

Ineptia said:
With Ledo’s arrival, it has confirmed the very real possibility of existing without being bound by the whalesquid. In the third world we see many people throwing away their cultural identity and destroying their sacred lands in the name of economics. The people of Gargantia want to play catch up with Avalon, and who could blame them?

Again NOTHING to indicate that (if so, a little foreshadowing would have been nice, this show has been amazing lacking there). Their reaction to the whalesquid pod passing below them showed the opposite.

Speaking of "lack of foreshadowing", some above blamed Bellows for this mishap, and while they were wrong about the octopus, they were right about that fact. Last episode when Ledo pulled the gun out it was Bellow who joked "if you do that now, what will you do when you see a whalesquid".

Think about that. Of all the people on the ship Bellows is the one WHO KNEW what he would do. She saw him vaporize people standing next to her. He explained to her that killing enemies is his reason for existence. Then for the first time he reacted to another animal with the intent to blow apart the restaurant. Given her experience she should have easily recognized the visual connection between Octopus and Whalesquid (gaping, toothed maw enough of a clue? Not too many creatures have that sort of mouth), but all she could do was make a joke? Seriously? Pinon could have gotten away with that, but not Bellows.

On top of that, after Ledo blundered into disrupting the balance of power with the pirates, no one, not Bellows, not the Sub-commander, Amy, anyone, thought "hey, maybe we should warn him about the only other thing on this planet he shouldn't piss off". Especially since we are sending him underwater where they live.

That's exactly what I mean about why this show drives me crazy. It's like there is no connection between what happens before, what happens now, and what happens later. It's almost like every scene has a new writer who only has the plot, but no details from previous scene to work with.
May 19, 2013 5:22 PM
Oct 2010
Irenesharda said:

Sorry, I edited my statement, I mean the whole John Connor sending Kyle Reese time mess...

Ah ok yeah, I agree there.
May 19, 2013 5:23 PM
Oct 2010
ReasonDesu said:
skudoops said:

Let's see, I'm by no means stating this as fact yet. But to be honest I almost believe this will happen now, no-one knows as it's an original work. In the next few episodes expect it to unfold a little more though.

Indeed, it's all wait and see. That's the fun of original works!
May 19, 2013 5:26 PM

Dec 2009
skudoops said:
Linkark07 said:
Marow said:

Kyle Reese from Terminator, Marty Mcfly and Suzuha Amane from Steins;Gate want to say hi. Even if they weren't born in the past if indeed time travel happened they can still exist as long as the reason they were born (or created, in the case of Chambers) isn't affected. Time travel is a mess to explain though.
May 19, 2013 5:29 PM

Feb 2013
The thing is Red is not being idiotic or warmongering or anything. He has a legitimate fear and worthy reason to fear the Hideauze and how they are destroying his people. And he cares enough about Earth to want to protect it, but the civilians only think like civilians and therefore don't understand. And in a way he's right when he say that the Gargantians care more about the whalesquid and keeping their heads in the sand, then about the thousands of their fellow humans who are dying everyday to the things they don't understand and yet hold as sacred for some reason.

He's a soldier fighting on the front lines, just cause he's not there now doesn't mean he's not going to do his duty. It's not about him "being his own person", it's about him trying to protect the humans of Earth, just as he protects the humans of Avalon. Just because they don't recognize the threat doesn't mean he can dismiss it.
May 19, 2013 5:34 PM

Apr 2013
wakka9ca said:

you're probably right.
May 19, 2013 5:41 PM

Dec 2009
Chxistine said:
Marow said:

Yes, I also prefer this one. Plus it doesn't become too complex when it comes to the time travel aspect. He simly ended up in the future. Nothing more. Not millions of theories proving how bad the time travel was used.

And it also fits more with the theme the creators said they were aiming for (although it's rather loose anyway). Realising that you may need to change your perspective and look at your surroundings. Sounds good, yup.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Apr 2008
The main reason I don't subscribe to the time travel is the base at the bottom of the ocean. That thing looks to me like something pre exodus so Ledo couldn't be in the past to start the whole mess with the Hideaz.

Feb 2013
I thought of when he said that the Hideauze haven't bothered them yet because they aren't developed enough, and suddenly it wasn't just an argument of "be nice to them and they'll be nice to you" it's more of, "if you keep on just 'surviving' from day to day and don't become too uppity, you won't incur the wrath of the mutant squids".

I don't know if I agree with that. Are earth people going to stay in the dark ages forever? Are they forever going to be afraid of these things? Gargantia is a simple world, that has good things, but it also just survives and hopes to live to another day. It would rather hide it's head than become stronger, so as not to incur the wrath of the enemy (be they pirates or whalesquids).

And the rules of Gargantia can't apply to the Alliance who need their technology to survive. And the Hideauze of space seem much more dangerous than that of Earth.

I have a feeling the Hideauze and the whalesquid feed on the same thing: Energy.

That is the only way it makes sense. The Hideauze live in space which of course wouldn't have food for real squid, but they tangle with human colonies, ships, and stars. That would suggest they are predatory for their energy (solar and electrical). The whalesquid follow the galaxy sea currents which we know is not only full of energy that the human ships use to power themselves, but this power is supplied by the nanomachines which happen to be the most sophisticated tech leftover since the Earth flooded. This would support my hypothesis that the Hideauze of Space and Earth both consume energy and technology, which will, like Red said, be the destruction of both groups of humans in the long run.

May 2011
Umm for all those referencing "Planet of the Apes" you've got the plot backwards. The crew hibernate for hundreds of years and arrive on a planet they think is somewhere else but at the end realize it's a post-apocalyptic Earth.

May 19, 2013 5:45 PM

Jan 2010
Where is the ikayaki?
"Seize the time, Meribor - live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
May 19, 2013 5:48 PM

May 2011
Well god damn, shit's gotten serious now. Diving into the whalesquids territory sounds seriously dangerous.

Never thought about time traveling in relation to this anime but it actually seems like a pretty plausible idea.
May 19, 2013 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
Spirai said:
I understand where the people of Gargantia are coming from and why they're pissed at Ledo. He's constantly acting on his own when it comes to these decisions and he doesn't share the same perspective or co-existence policy as theirs but I just can't help but side with Ledo here.

Bellows didn't even explain anything about the whalesquids to him. It's not as if his reaction was completely unexpected. I mean he pulled a gun on a dead one during the festival. She was there. She saw that

And the people are so damn hypocritical. The whalesquids are sacred to you? Then why did you eat them? Why do you have them on your 'special banquet' menu? They use Ledo for everything crucial and then bitch about it when he 'ruins their peace'. He protected their ships from the pirates. He was able to insure they were able to have much more drinking water. He's the reason they can go salvage that crap from the sea. Yet they barely acknowledge him. One or two paychecks yet no explanations. They treat him as if he's supposed to know their culture and understand what to do and not do.

And from Ledo's point of view, they're the ones in a standstill. They're the ones that refuse to understand he's a soldier- through and through. How else do you expect a soldier of that caliber to react? Moreover, they don't even want to know about his culture or what he believes in. Ledo sees himself moving forward. And he is, according to the Alliance's policy- even if it may be wrong. He's doing his job, he's doing what he was born (or maybe cloned) to do. Yet they disregard all that. All of that is part of his culture and who he is. If you disregard that and call it wrong, aren't you disregarding his whole being? Aren't you just waving off all that he is just because it doesn't make sense to you? Aren't you then, calling him an empty shell of a soldier? How else is he supposed to feel?

Sorry to disagree with you here, you said you understand the people of Gargantia, but it seems like you didn't and what you said is totally from Ledo's point of view.

The first thing I want to point out is that what they have in their "special" meal is an octopus, not the whalesquid, if you mind checking it again. Next, he indeed protect them from the pirate, that is true, but the cause of the pirate attacking them is because he killed the pirate in the first place. You may argue that well because the pirate tried to rope them so Ledo protected them, well yeah, but they have lived like that for a while now, they let them rope, and when they satisfy, they leave, they don't freaking bring a fleet to destroy them. This was in the human history in fact, for example the weaker country will supply the stronger one, as long as you don't fight them, they will just leave you at that.

About the people of Gargantia ignoring the culture where Ledo come from, well ..., have u ever lived in another country for a long time? There is a saying "when in roman, do as the romans do", I have been living in Finland for 4 years and I am not Finnish, can I just simply live the way I was in my country? No, I have to cope with the way things are here, the price, the lifestyle, the language, the thinking, the culture, everything. So as Ledo, he is in a society with people having a different culture than his, and you can clearly see that he is the one that is different here, he cannot live the way he was if he want to exist in Gargantia. The final scene in this ep prove this better, he want to leave, yes, because he cannot follow the rules here.

So? Are the people of Gargantia at fault? No, you can see at the beginning when he arrived at Gargantia that the people were living peacefully, they don't really need Ledo to make their life better. They let the pirate rope them a bit and they leave, they let the whalesquid alone, and well those creatures won't do a thing. Why violent when u can resolve with peace? The next question is, Is Ledo the one who is wrong? Well again No, he just have something people call culture shock, I don't say that what he do is wrong, to him it is his purpose, his reason for living. But, if he really do want to exist in Gargantia, he has to change all of that, If he can't, he can just leave, like he is about to do at the end of this episode.

If I made you mad, then you have to know that I have the same feeling with you watching this anime, I am indeed in Ledo's side. But please, look at it in a broader way, a view point of an outsider, not from any of the sides in this anime and you may ease your anger.
May 19, 2013 6:01 PM

Jul 2012
Yes, finally, muwahahahahah... shit's finally gonna get real, let the butchering begin.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

May 19, 2013 6:02 PM

Nov 2012
I might be wrong, but I think the setting of this series is more like "Battlestar Galactica" than the "Planet of the Apes."
I still not buying the whole time travel.
May 19, 2013 6:06 PM
May 2013
Maelis said:

You may argue that well because the pirate tried to RAPE them so Ledo protected them, well yeah, but they have lived like that for a while now, they let them RAPE, and when they satisfy, they leave, they don't freaking bring a fleet to destroy them. This was in the human history in fact, for example the weaker country will supply the stronger one, as long as you don't fight them, they will just leave you at that.

Fixed for ya.

Maelis said:
About the people of Gargantia ignoring the culture where Ledo come from, well ..., have u ever lived in another country for a long time? There is a saying "when in roman, do as the romans do", I have been living in Finland for 4 years and I am not Finnish, can I just simply live the way I was in my country? No, I have to cope with the way things are here, the price, the lifestyle, the language, the thinking, the culture, everything. So as Ledo, he is in a society with people having a different culture than his, and you can clearly see that he is the one that is different here, he cannot live the way he was if he want to exist in Gargantia. The final scene in this ep prove this better, he want to leave, yes, because he cannot follow the rules here.

Not really. Immigrants will just say they are discriminated and demand rights and human right activists agree it must be done.
May 19, 2013 6:07 PM
Oct 2012
Irenesharda said:
That is the only way it makes sense.

Has anything in this show made sense up until now? Why should anything change :-)

The galaxy way are not nanomachines, they were quite clearly described as a living organism in episode 2. I am curious where this obsession with them being nanomachines is coming from, was this explained somewhere else, or was there a bad subtitle?

A simple explanation is that the electricity is converted bioluminescence, something that squids produce.
May 19, 2013 6:10 PM
Oct 2012
jose21 said:
I might be wrong, but I think the setting of this series is more like "Battlestar Galactica" than the "Planet of the Apes."
I still not buying the whole time travel.

I wrote this on another thread, but the issue with time travel is: in the show they made it clear that the space humans left BEFORE the ice melted, whereas Gargantia is after the ice melted. While this doesn't necessarily preclude that Ledo drove the hideauze into space where they later become humanity's enemy, such a story would really stretch the imagination. Of ALL of SPACE and ALL of TIME that Ledo just happened to arrive in after falling into the wormhole, he just happened to end up at the exact nexus that will determine humanity's future.

To accept that would require a damn big machine to support that Deus.
May 19, 2013 6:20 PM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
The galaxy way are not nanomachines, they were quite clearly described as a living organism in episode 2. I am curious where this obsession with them being nanomachines is coming from, was this explained somewhere else, or was there a bad subtitle?

I believe the whole nanomachime theory comes from episode 6 around minute 2, where chamber says that the lightbugs are some type of nanomachine a legacy of a .......
May 19, 2013 6:25 PM

Oct 2011
Ledo kills Hideazu?Whalesquid)
Ledo and Amy moment T__T
Whalesquid comes in groups
Fleet Commander gets a heart attack

And so it begins......

The ending changed. From day( peaceful) to night( ominous)
May 19, 2013 6:28 PM
Oct 2010
Irenesharda said:
I thought of when he said that the Hideauze haven't bothered them yet because they aren't developed enough, and suddenly it wasn't just an argument of "be nice to them and they'll be nice to you" it's more of, "if you keep on just 'surviving' from day to day and don't become too uppity, you won't incur the wrath of the mutant squids".

I don't know if I agree with that. Are earth people going to stay in the dark ages forever? Are they forever going to be afraid of these things? Gargantia is a simple world, that has good things, but it also just survives and hopes to live to another day. It would rather hide it's head than become stronger, so as not to incur the wrath of the enemy (be they pirates or whalesquids).

And the rules of Gargantia can't apply to the Alliance who need their technology to survive. And the Hideauze of space seem much more dangerous than that of Earth.

I have a feeling the Hideauze and the whalesquid feed on the same thing: Energy.

That is the only way it makes sense. The Hideauze live in space which of course wouldn't have food for real squid, but they tangle with human colonies, ships, and stars. That would suggest they are predatory for their energy (solar and electrical). The whalesquid follow the galaxy sea currents which we know is not only full of energy that the human ships use to power themselves, but this power is supplied by the nanomachines which happen to be the most sophisticated tech leftover since the Earth flooded. This would support my hypothesis that the Hideauze of Space and Earth both consume energy and technology, which will, like Red said, be the destruction of both groups of humans in the long run.

That would make alot of sense actually, it would also explain why they haven't attack the gargantia fleet, since it doesn't have an internal energy source.
May 19, 2013 6:34 PM

Feb 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Irenesharda said:
That is the only way it makes sense.

Has anything in this show made sense up until now? Why should anything change :-)

A simple explanation is that the electricity is converted bioluminescence, something that squids produce.

One, there is NO WAY that many tiny organisms could conjure enough biolumnescient energy to cause lightning enough to power fleets of ships that big.

Second, Chamber said that the bugs that form the galaxy sea ARE nanomachines from some bygone Earth era. Try looking at episode 6 again.
IreneshardaMay 19, 2013 6:40 PM
May 19, 2013 6:39 PM

Feb 2013
skudoops said:
Irenesharda said:

That would make alot of sense actually, it would also explain why they haven't attack the gargantia fleet, since it doesn't have an internal energy source.

Well, they do have an energy source that they get from the galaxy sea nanomachines. However, note the captain had everyone turn of the entire fleet and come to a full stop with no one making a movement? This would hint that the Hideauze are attracted to energy and because they didn't sense any on the ships, they left them alone.

However, one problem with that is since Chamber is much more advanced tech, he might become a bigger target.
May 19, 2013 6:40 PM

Nov 2012
Maelis said:
Spirai said:
I understand where the people of Gargantia are coming from and why they're pissed at Ledo. He's constantly acting on his own when it comes to these decisions and he doesn't share the same perspective or co-existence policy as theirs but I just can't help but side with Ledo here.

Bellows didn't even explain anything about the whalesquids to him. It's not as if his reaction was completely unexpected. I mean he pulled a gun on a dead one during the festival. She was there. She saw that

And the people are so damn hypocritical. The whalesquids are sacred to you? Then why did you eat them? Why do you have them on your 'special banquet' menu? They use Ledo for everything crucial and then bitch about it when he 'ruins their peace'. He protected their ships from the pirates. He was able to insure they were able to have much more drinking water. He's the reason they can go salvage that crap from the sea. Yet they barely acknowledge him. One or two paychecks yet no explanations. They treat him as if he's supposed to know their culture and understand what to do and not do.

And from Ledo's point of view, they're the ones in a standstill. They're the ones that refuse to understand he's a soldier- through and through. How else do you expect a soldier of that caliber to react? Moreover, they don't even want to know about his culture or what he believes in. Ledo sees himself moving forward. And he is, according to the Alliance's policy- even if it may be wrong. He's doing his job, he's doing what he was born (or maybe cloned) to do. Yet they disregard all that. All of that is part of his culture and who he is. If you disregard that and call it wrong, aren't you disregarding his whole being? Aren't you just waving off all that he is just because it doesn't make sense to you? Aren't you then, calling him an empty shell of a soldier? How else is he supposed to feel?

Sorry to disagree with you here, you said you understand the people of Gargantia, but it seems like you didn't and what you said is totally from Ledo's point of view.

The first thing I want to point out is that what they have in their "special" meal is an octopus, not the whalesquid, if you mind checking it again. Next, he indeed protect them from the pirate, that is true, but the cause of the pirate attacking them is because he killed the pirate in the first place. You may argue that well because the pirate tried to rope them so Ledo protected them, well yeah, but they have lived like that for a while now, they let them rope, and when they satisfy, they leave, they don't freaking bring a fleet to destroy them. This was in the human history in fact, for example the weaker country will supply the stronger one, as long as you don't fight them, they will just leave you at that.

So? Are the people of Gargantia at fault? No, you can see at the beginning when he arrived at Gargantia that the people were living peacefully, they don't really need Ledo to make their life better. They let the pirate rope them a bit and they leave, they let the whalesquid alone, and well those creatures won't do a thing. Why violent when u can resolve with peace? The next question is, Is Ledo the one who is wrong? Well again No, he just have something people call culture shock, I don't say that what he do is wrong, to him it is his purpose, his reason for living. But, if he really do want to exist in Gargantia, he has to change all of that, If he can't, he can just leave, like he is about to do at the end of this episode.

If I made you mad, then you have to know that I have the same feeling with you watching this anime, I am indeed in Ledo's side. But please, look at it in a broader way, a view point of an outsider, not from any of the sides in this anime and you may ease your anger.

I didn't explain fully how I understand where the people of Gargantia are coming from because overall I empathized more with Ledo but you're right, they didn't need him from the start.

However about Ledo being an outsider, this is the first time he's been a foreigner. He doesn't even know the concept nor has he any idea how he's supposed to act in such a situation. He's just trying his best to instinctively not get in the way. Yet the people don't seem to want to empathize with him all that much. I shouldn't be so mad about it really, and if Ledo leaves it may be for the best, but still, I'm a little disappointed in the people. If my people and I had a foreigner in our country who knew nothing of it, I would at the very least try to warn him more of less of the dangers which might tip him off (in other words, Bellows with the squid, seeing how he reacted to the octopus, she should've put two and two together before throwing him into the ocean).
May 19, 2013 6:43 PM
Oct 2012
jose21 said:
I believe the whole nanomachime theory comes from episode 6 around minute 2, where chamber says that the lightbugs are some type of nanomachine a legacy of a .......

Thank you, found the scene, you are right, they explained them as nanomachines in episode 6, but they were explained as living creatures in episode 2.

Now a good writer would have made some sort of explanation for this (like having chamber say that the people on the boat thought they were living creatures, but they were really nanomachines), but this is the kind of gap that can normally be glossed over with the viewer supplying the explanation (because the director doesn't have the time to explain everything).

However that said, given all the other inconsistencies this show has had, its sort of hard to maintain faith in the writer, once goodwill is exhausted, it makes it too easy to believe that the author just changed his mind and forgot what he wrote in episode 2.
May 19, 2013 6:47 PM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
jose21 said:

Thank you, found the scene, you are right, they explained them as nanomachines in episode 6, but they were explained as living creatures in episode 2.

Now a good writer would have made some sort of explanation for this (like having chamber say that the people on the boat thought they were living creatures, but they were really nanomachines), but this is the kind of gap that can normally be glossed over with the viewer supplying the explanation (because the director doesn't have the time to explain everything).

However that said, given all the other inconsistencies this show has had, its sort of hard to maintain faith in the writer, once goodwill is exhausted, it makes it too easy to believe that the author just changed his mind and forgot what he wrote in episode 2.

Nanomachines doesn't mean they are not living creatures.
In fact, I think i found something maybe similar to what they have in the series:
http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/mit-completes-virus-built-nanomachine-battery/
May 19, 2013 6:55 PM
Dec 2011
prosit said:
that scene with bellows and pinion was so intense.
That part made me totally ship them too >_>
May 19, 2013 6:56 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Wait. So, Ledo time traveled back to before the war against the Hidiaazu? What happens in the upcoming episodes is what caused the war? I guess that kind of would make sense when you look at why he can't contact his superiors and why the earth people are so primitive. I thought he just got transported to a distant galaxy or something. I guess we will have to wait and see for sure.

Anyway, shit is about to hit the fan. That was a TON of whalesquid and now that the fleet commander has kicked the bucket, I doubt they will even acknowledge the second in command. I bet they just go to the den on their own. All he has to do is ask Ledo and he will be foaming at the mouth. Shit is not going to end well.
May 19, 2013 6:59 PM

Nov 2011
No more slice of life. Shit is getting serious.

There are whole lot of those whalesquid. Defeating one of them already seems difficult for Ledo, how is he gonna deal with all of those underwater?

I wonder what kind of treasure they are trying to find down there. Would be surprising if its turn out something from the time where Ledo comes from.

Pages (9) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

502 by Titadou »»
Sep 24, 8:43 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

346 by Titadou »»
Sep 21, 11:24 PM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

670 by Titadou »»
Sep 20, 11:57 PM

» Gargantia Season 2 Cancelled

DawnJ - Apr 5, 2015

37 by Drakath_V »»
Sep 16, 2:47 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2013

579 by Titadou »»
Sep 6, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.