Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 14, 2011 3:58 AM

Jul 2008
Definitely a unique story. This will be a top priority for me this season..
Jan 14, 2011 4:01 AM

Oct 2010
Wow the Ed song

i wanna cry for you ......... i wanna smile for you.......... i wanna dream for you...... Dream for you.

denpadarling said:
GarLogan78 said:
Who confessed to who in the past? I got confused. At first I that the girl confessed to the boy, but then the end made it seem like the boy confessed to the girl.

Nitori (the boy) was the one who confessed.

No the Girl Takatsuki (Dress as a boy) confesed to the boy Nitori (Dress as a girl).
Jan 14, 2011 4:07 AM

Aug 2010
Some of the comments in this thread are just...amazing, for entirely the wrong reasons. Wow.

Anyway, I'm really liking this show! The art's gorgeous. I suppose the characterisation is a bit weak in places as it pretty much throws you in without much explanation, but the story line's an interesting one.

Kind of curious how they're going to squeeze so much manga into 11 episodes. I guess they're going to be cutting out things to just get into the meat of the storyline, but I'm sad this is going to be so short. Either way, definitely going to be watching.
Jan 14, 2011 4:17 AM

Mar 2010
ozwell said:
Kind of curious how they're going to squeeze so much manga into 11 episodes.

Well, they've already skipped the first five volumes by starting when the kids are in middle school, and from what I recall of the manga, several chapters' worth of stuff were in the first episode alone...

Overall, the anime seems to be condensing a lot of the character interactions. Fair enough, to a degree; I remember getting a bit annoyed with the cold wars/arguments and making up again in the elementary school chapters of the manga, because those chapters did drag a bit (although that also contributed to their realism!).

On the other hand, starting in the middle of the manga means that they've skipped over lots of important points along Nitori's and Takatsuki's journey - how they started coming to terms with how they felt about their genders, their first decisions to try cross-dressing, and so on. That seems like a pity, to me.
Jan 14, 2011 4:31 AM

Feb 2008
sankar said:
No the Girl Takatsuki (Dress as a boy) confesed to the boy Nitori (Dress as a girl).
Um...but at the End of the Episode he said he got rejected....
desolatoJan 14, 2011 4:41 AM
Jan 14, 2011 4:49 AM

Jun 2009
sankar said:

It's the other way around.
Jan 14, 2011 4:52 AM

Dec 2010
Never read the manga, this kind of plot of serious slice of life is not my cup of tea but the art is surely aweasome.
Jan 14, 2011 5:05 AM

Jun 2010
Interesting story thus far and will probably prove to stay interesting. Art, music and voice acting all feel like a work of Makoto Shinkai (or was I the only one who thought this?), and that's definitely a plus. However, it's rather slow and at some times even boring in my humble opinion.

But I can't deny he's cute when he's crossdressing. Dang.
Jan 14, 2011 6:09 AM

Mar 2010
Don't see at all why people are confused by this episode. I didn't read the manga but I was able to make sense of everything so far. Definitely looking forward to more.
Jan 14, 2011 6:15 AM

Nov 2007
I was really confused at first. Why would they start the series in the middle of the Manga? At first I thought they'd let them enter middle school and start with a flashback of their elementary school time. Unfortunately that was not the case. I really adored the first episode but they left out so many important things about Shuu and Takatsuki, their interactions, the reason for their crossdressing and how they met Hiroyuki (the lady who gave Takatsuki her boy's uniform). Sure it included a lot of quarrels but they were important as well! Like how Saori ended up going to church after it.

But the animation is really flawlessly beautiful. Absolutely stunning! Oh, and I love the ending song.
Jan 14, 2011 6:32 AM

Oct 2010
-Quasar said:
sankar said:

It's the other way around.

Yea i just misunderstood the confession scene.
Jan 14, 2011 6:46 AM
Jun 2009
Didnt read the manga but the story was somewhat simple to follow imo. since its the same studio and author as Aoi Hana, im really looking forward of seeing more.
Jan 14, 2011 6:56 AM
Aug 2008
-Quasar said:
Okay, reading the sypnosis before watching it, I thought this is gay... and after watching this, it was gay and he was sick.

May I ask what part of the episode felt homosexual to you?
Jan 14, 2011 8:02 AM

Mar 2010
Nyr said:
Art, music and voice acting all feel like a work of Makoto Shinkai (or was I the only one who thought this?)

Not just you. I did know that this is from the person behind Aoi Hana (studio as well) so my first thoughts were back to Fumi, Akira and Yasuko.
Jan 14, 2011 8:08 AM
Jul 2010
voice actor for nitori is not good enough, feel like no emotion
Jan 14, 2011 8:25 AM

Nov 2009
The art is just gorgeous. I've been holding off on reading the manga, but now I think I'm going to. Am I the only one who wasn't confused? The only time anything confused me was who confessed to who, but I figured it out when he boy said that he got rejected at the end. This is certainly very interesting and I will definitely continue to watch this.

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

Jan 14, 2011 8:28 AM

Sep 2009
Amutofan123 said:
The art is just gorgeous. I've been holding off on reading the manga, but now I think I'm going to. Am I the only one who wasn't confused? The only time anything confused me was who confessed to who, but I figured it out when he boy said that he got rejected at the end. This is certainly very interesting and I will definitely continue to watch this.

Basically just this entire comment.
Jan 14, 2011 8:29 AM

Apr 2009
Well if every episode is this packed with stuff (I didn't find it boring at all) then it's going to be a a great 11 episodes. I was surprised by how much actually happened all in one ep. I'm glad to see a show like this finally being made, and approached artistically and realistically.
Jan 14, 2011 8:56 AM

Jun 2008
This show is adorable <3
Finally something different!
Very confusing, but that will probably change.
Jan 14, 2011 9:12 AM
Sep 2009
good art, boring as hell
Jan 14, 2011 9:13 AM

May 2010
The art was great and suddenly wanted to know what brand of shampoo are they using. :D

At first I was really confused who's who but the part towards end made it clear.

The story is somewhat different and was ok to watch.
Jan 14, 2011 9:37 AM

Oct 2006
-Quasar said:
Okay, reading the sypnosis before watching it, I thought this is gay... and after watching this, it was gay and he was sick.

...not that it's a bad thing though, it's actually interesting. I like the art and the slice of life approach on crossdressing. Be watching this one.

ಠ_ಠ
Jan 14, 2011 11:33 AM

Jan 2010
Well I haven't been this confused since the last time I browsed a trap thread.

Its hard to keep up with who's a boy and who's a girl in this show. I'm sure it will be more defined later on though.

Decent first episode, still not the best first episode of the season though.
Ok™
Jan 14, 2011 1:36 PM

Oct 2010
Wow, I'm real glad that I watched this show. I had a completely different opinion on this before I watched it. I love the characters and the story and I love the art work and animation. I also love the ending by Rie Fu <3
Jan 14, 2011 1:41 PM

Jun 2008
I got confused with the names for a bit but overall it wasn't too hard to follow. Not really a fan of the art style but it's nice in its own way.
Jan 14, 2011 2:26 PM

Jan 2011
-Quasar said:

...not that it's a bad thing though, it's actually interesting. I like the art and the slice of life approach on crossdressing. Be watching this one.

That's just ignorant and stupid.

Anyway, I wish they would have started from the beginning of the manga, since I think a lot of the emotion came from that, but there were less characters and it was a slower pace and we only get 11 episodes. ): And yay Saori being awesome as usual.
Jan 14, 2011 2:34 PM
Jan 2010
Tuomoz said:
-Quasar said:

May I ask what part of the episode felt homosexual to you?

This is what I wanted to ask, too.

Seriously, Tuomoz? Seriously?
Jan 14, 2011 2:35 PM

Jun 2009
This is one of those shows where you read the summary and You can not help but check it out.
Jan 14, 2011 2:54 PM

Apr 2010
Sandileina said:
Amutofan123 said:

Basically just this entire comment.

This. What's so confusing about it? I really enjoyed it. I'm sure some heavy emotional stuff is coming ahead.
Jan 14, 2011 3:10 PM

Dec 2008
This is definitely going to be the best series of the season for me. The art is incredibly, the human-interest story is fascinating, and the characters are already bringing out my emotional side.

I'm tempted to read the manga, but I really want to enjoy the story first in animation. >_<
Jan 14, 2011 3:27 PM

Nov 2008
holy sh-- I hope the main will man up at the end of the season or else I'll turn into a homo...........cant deny hes cute as a girl....

I totally forgot I've read the manga before this was aired and stopped somewhere in the ceremony. So they actually skipped the first part eh xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jan 14, 2011 3:34 PM

Jun 2009
Mixed feelings... EVERYWHERE.
First, i guess i'd have no clue what's going on here if i haven't read the manga. This episode had an extremely fast peace and covered like 1/3 of the actual manga chapters, of course, leaving many things aside. I'd say they want to quickly get to the highschool events, and slow the pace by then, let's see if i'm right later. Character introduction worked pretty well for Takatsuki and Nitorin, not so sure about the rest. Also, way too little Saorin. <3 щ(゚Д゚щ)

Then again, it was really enjoyable to watch, animation was suprisingly good(wouldn't ever expect such animation from Shimura's manga adaptation). And the best, bgm - just awesome and nicely fit with the rest. OP and ED were also good, i'd say ED>OP.
Was there something more...? Whatever, i don't remember anymore, wrote more shit than i usually do anyway. ┐('~`;)┌

Orochi Out!!
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 14, 2011 4:11 PM

Jul 2010
i don't really know what to think of this anime, this episode was ok, but i dind't really saw in many scenes who was a girl and who a boy. only the mainchar could i see this the entire time. well i will watch 2 oder 3 episode an then i will make a desicion if i should watch this show to the end
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Jan 14, 2011 4:34 PM
Aug 2008
denpadarling said:
Seriously, Tuomoz? Seriously?

I don't quite understand, are you trying to ask me something?
Jan 14, 2011 5:09 PM

Feb 2010
This show is lovely. I am greatly enjoying this because it touches on a sometimes "taboo" subject.

Hopefully they can continue making every episode as compelling, interesting, and multi-faceted as this one. ::crosses fingers::
Jan 14, 2011 5:33 PM

Jan 2009
I haven't read the manga in a while, so this was a pretty confusing episode. I'm wondering how they'll take the approach from here on, but so far, it seems to be a fair adaption besides skipping a lot of the manga.
Jan 14, 2011 5:43 PM

Jul 2008
Wow... okay then just jump in the story. It's not like those first volumes were interesting or anything. :|

The art was so beautiful. The sakura petals looked so amazing during the bridge scene. <3

BEGINNER
Jan 14, 2011 6:54 PM

Jan 2009
This is so soft and cute and perfect and the way they're handling the character's issues is perfect and not overwhelming at all. Augh, I love it. <33
Jan 14, 2011 9:17 PM

Apr 2009
I have to say that I loved every moment of it. I loved the art style because I've never seen anything quite like it and I was really impressed with the character designs and backgrounds.
I'm in love with all of the characters...well most of them.
Jan 14, 2011 9:55 PM

Jul 2007
Very nice. I really liked the art and the background music.
The story seems interesting and I liked the pacing of it too.

Definitely looks like one of the better shows this season.
Jan 14, 2011 9:56 PM

Nov 2009
Wow the animation and music was so pretty.
& I thought the subject of gender-switching would be really strange to me, but how softly it's presented seemed really nice and innocent.
Jan 15, 2011 3:24 AM
Aug 2008
denpadarling said:
How does this series seem gay to you?

You must be misunderstanding me, I was asking that from -Quasar. I never said I think there's anything gay going on here especially since I'm quite familiar with the trans-themes.
Jan 15, 2011 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
I really don't care about this anime at all. It's really not my thing.

Dropped.
Jan 15, 2011 5:42 AM

Jun 2008
Maybe am not into gross-dressing or gay enough to enjoy this show. The show is slow and has no other element of a story that getting cross-dressed. I can see how an individual with similar fetishes or sexuality problems will find this anime interesting, especially if he/she had similar problems in childhood but if you are a typical viewer then how can you find any interest since you can't really empathize with the characters?

Is like this story was made only for that kind of audience. If you expect other people to view it also then you have to make a story with more aspects to keep their interest without changing your original message and have a better rhythm because it can get really slow and boring.
Do they expect me just to watch it so i can satisfy myself of being open minded while the anime itself is not intriguing and fun? Sorry am not that insecure about how my mind works nether to i want to use this anime to demonstrate myself to others.
Anyway is just the first episode so there is still hope of becoming more interesting.
The artwork was a little disappointing too.
Jan 15, 2011 6:59 AM

Nov 2008
They should've done a better animation, it's kind of hard to distinguish guys and girls.
Jan 15, 2011 7:42 AM

Nov 2007
Monad said:
Maybe am not into gross-dressing or gay enough to enjoy this show. The show is slow and has no other element of a story that getting cross-dressed. I can see how an individual with similar fetishes or sexuality problems will find this anime interesting, especially if he/she had similar problems in childhood but if you are a typical viewer then how can you find any interest since you can't really empathize with the characters?

True, if your a 13 year old boy who just wants to soon animated pants and titties.

Not so true if you have a modicum of maturity or emotional depth.

The shows not about cross-dressing or homosexuality, its about transgenderism, very very different kettles of fish.
Jan 15, 2011 8:06 AM

Jun 2008
Heart_of_Storm said:
Monad said:

True, if your a 13 year old boy who just wants to soon animated pants and titties.

Not so true if you have a modicum of maturity or emotional depth.

The shows not about cross-dressing or homosexuality, its about transgenderism, very very different kettles of fish.

No am just not a hypocritical asshole that pretends he can feel like people who feel completely different that he could ever feel.

Different kettles of fish my ass. All those things are intertwined or did you miss how he was actually cross-dressing.

And i doubt that being a 13year old is what stops you empathizing considering the age of the heroes. Quite the opposite. If you are already of an age with an establish sexuality and you have already passed through teenage problems you are as far away from them as possible.
But since that comment was more like your attempt to take a hit to anyone who doesn't agree with you than anything else and to try to pretend you are mature with emotional depth, i understand why you didn't quote the second part of my post that described you perfectly.

Monad said:

Is like this story was made only for that kind of audience. If you expect other people to view it also then you have to make a story with more aspects to keep their interest without changing your original message and have a better rhythm because it can get really slow and boring.
Do they expect me just to watch it so i can satisfy myself of being open minded while the anime itself is not intriguing and fun? Sorry am not that insecure about how my mind works nether to i want to use this anime to demonstrate myself to others.
Anyway is just the first episode so there is still hope of becoming more interesting.
The artwork was a little disappointing too.
Jan 15, 2011 8:47 AM

Nov 2010
Really a cross dressing middle school student is just fine? How his friends accept him is beyond question and a girl still liking him the way he is and on top of that he confessed to some guy disguised as a girl, my mind has been blown away by what people are trying to pass out these days.
Jan 15, 2011 12:33 PM

Jun 2009
I was blown away.

The art is distinct to anything I’ve seen; soft, pastel colors and simple backgrounds with enough detail. The sound is fitting and beautiful on its own. Rie Fu singing the ED is a plus ♥

Sure, I was confused by the sudden introduction of all those characters, and who was who, but it was partly the idea. The drama impacted me, by just watching Nitori’s struggles at his own identity, I could feel his despair; I almost teared up.

This is what I’ve been looking for all this time. A deep, mature approach to a topic considered taboo most of the time. I’m really happy this is settled on a middle school, it add ups to the freshness of the show.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Jan 15, 2011 1:19 PM

Jun 2010
Well, I usually hate cross-dressing and other weird gender-bending themes... But just this once I'll watch it to the end. Unless it really grosses me far away in the middle. I hope they'll just come to terms with their true genders... I didn't read the manga so I don't know about this "starting in a middle" thing, but - isn't the art amazing? It totally made me open my eyes wider. Also liked the opening.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Jan 20, 2011

88 by redheadbros »»
May 22, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aversa - Mar 10, 2011

61 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 17, 2011

56 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 9:55 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Hannah_Ana - Jan 27, 2011

88 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:55 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Samu-tan - Mar 31, 2011

134 by Baskarite »»
Nov 13, 2023 11:08 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.