Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2010 4:58 PM

Aug 2008
PARIS – Heavy snow in Paris on Wednesday shut down the city's main airport, its bus system and the Eiffel Tower. Elsewhere in Europe, bad weather caused travel chaos in Scotland, and a child's body was found after a flash flood in Spain.

In Paris, where heavy snowfall is unusual, the snow reached 10 centimeters (4 inches), weather service Meteo France said. It quickly turned into a slushy mess, and vehicles skidded on unplowed roads.

Flights in and out of Paris' Charles de Gaulle were suspended for about an hour and a half Wednesday afternoon, the city's airport authority said. When it reopened, only one of four runways was in use. At both Paris airports, flights were delayed by up to three hours.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101208/ap_on_re_eu/eu_europe_weather

Four inches?! Of snow? City shuts down?! WTF am I reading!? Well, this replaces this past summer's World Cup performance as France's latest embarrassment. Here I am near Chicago - and we just had 6 inches a few days ago. No problemo. >:D

Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 9, 2010 5:05 PM

Aug 2009
Wait, Paris, France?

As in "And not Paris, Arkansas"?

That's...I can't wrap my head around that.

I didn't think anything in Europe shut down before at least a foot of snow O__o
And the dude from The Lake House is all "WHOA!"
Dec 9, 2010 5:07 PM

May 2008
This is the biggest snowfall Paris has had in over twenty years. Did you make fun of people who died in Chicago during the 1995 heat wave, too?
SolanioDec 9, 2010 5:10 PM
Dec 9, 2010 5:14 PM

Sep 2007
A city which isn't used to getting snow shuts down when there is snow?!? Why that's the craziest thing I ever heard!

Man those frenchies sure are pussies, amirite? Not like us macho americans.
Dec 9, 2010 6:16 PM

Aug 2010
Meh, I wouldn't like 4 inches of snow either so I can't poke fun even though I live where we get a butt load more snow and everything keeps going for the most part.
Dec 9, 2010 6:25 PM

Jul 2008
It's like Asian's getting shut down after taking 4 inches too.
This is pretty odd mind, in Wales we're not used to snow either, but 4 inches is still nothing, I think it takes quite a bit more to shut us down.
Dec 10, 2010 7:36 AM

Jun 2008
Solanio said:
This is the biggest snowfall Paris has had in over twenty years. Did you make fun of people who died in Chicago during the 1995 heat wave, too?

How do you correlate shutting down a city because of 4 measly inches of snow, to a heat wave where temperatures reached 125 degrees Fahrenheit, and 750 people died as a result of that...

The Frenchies never cease to amaze me, if they aren't losing wars, they're scared of a little snow.
Dec 10, 2010 7:43 AM

Sep 2009
alexcampos said:

A city that doesn't get snow doesn't have protection.

No snowplows at the ready.
People don't have proper tires.
Ice can build up.

It may seem like a joke to those of us who have snow. I currently have about a half foot sitting in my driveway that needs to be shoveled in a few minutes.
But most cities don't know what to do.
Drivers may have never seen snow ever.
Dec 10, 2010 7:46 AM

Sep 2010
Im so happy I live in california where it doesnt snow =w=;;
I dont think Id live. Im terrible in it.

Dec 10, 2010 8:32 AM

Sep 2010
Sabinlerose said:
alexcampos said:

A city that doesn't get snow doesn't have protection.

No snowplows at the ready.
People don't have proper tires.
Ice can build up.

It may seem like a joke to those of us who have snow. I currently have about a half foot sitting in my driveway that needs to be shoveled in a few minutes.
But most cities don't know what to do.
Drivers may have never seen snow ever.

Exactly this, seriously, it's rare, and because of that they aren't prepared, meaning it's a lot worse for them. Think a little will ya.
Dec 10, 2010 9:28 AM

Feb 2009
...Oh good-

Seriously? Try living in Canada ya big French wusses. Seriously.
Dec 10, 2010 9:41 AM

Sep 2010
alexcampos said:
Solanio said:

How do you correlate shutting down a city because of 4 measly inches of snow, to a heat wave where temperatures reached 125 degrees Fahrenheit, and 750 people died as a result of that...

How do you correlate two cities that are 6,670 km (4,145 miles) apart?
Dec 10, 2010 9:46 AM

Nov 2008
Well in Wales; we haven't had much snow but it's hell for people where I live to get around as it has all turned into ice and every time you walk, you are in danger of falling over.
Dec 10, 2010 9:48 AM

Apr 2008
naikou said:
A city which isn't used to getting snow shuts down when there is snow?!? Why that's the craziest thing I ever heard!

Man those frenchies sure are pussies, amirite? Not like us macho americans.

We sure showed you back at, um, uhhhh....

*runs away*
Dec 10, 2010 9:51 AM

Jun 2009
there is also possibility that snow causes other problems, maybe their structures or smth else .... u never know even tho i agree , that's little 2much ...... i am used to snow even in high amounts of it coz in my country snow isn't smth so strange , every winter we have snow falling and depending on location amount can be extremely high , helly even now we have snow ;)
Gabriel

Dec 10, 2010 10:28 AM

Jul 2008
Just for comparison, it took about four feet to shut down everything in the city (in Ontario) earlier this week. It was a record snowfall here, too.

I'm not surprised that drivers would be having trouble if some of them have never even seen snow that actually accumulates on the ground :p

I am the senpai that notices you.

Dec 10, 2010 10:36 AM
Apr 2009
I know some places which never have snow tend to shut down due to lack of any snow removal... but I clearly remember as a kid still going to school when we had over 6 feet of accumulated snow at my house.... things still went on, although I could not see above the snow... :\ (and shovelling that crap was horrible)
Dec 10, 2010 10:41 AM

Nov 2010
To me it's insane but if you're not used to having that much snow I can understand. It's supposed to snow here this weekend...I'm not really looking forward to it.
Dec 10, 2010 10:41 AM

Apr 2010
lol 4 inches... it takes feet of snow to shut anything down here...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Dec 10, 2010 11:18 AM

Apr 2010
Some of you people really are arrogant. It's a place that's not used to that much snow, the people there don't know how to handle it or drive in it. Kind of like how cities in the southern US, like in Texas, get shut down and schools close because of half an inch of snow. Because they don't have any snowplows, and people there are more used to driving in dirt and bumpy grassland than on ice and snow.

Just because it's France, you people think they're pussies or cowards for not being able to handle a mere four inches of snow. I'd like to see Dallas or Houston get four inches or even two and see what kind of headlines it makes.

Also, I live in the Chicago land area, specifically the Fox Valley, I don't know what you're talking about. The snow we got last Friday I had to drive home in, it was nowhere near six inches when it was done falling. It also snowed last night, but that wasn't much either.

Dec 10, 2010 11:25 AM

May 2010
4 inches? that's nothing.

this is how my city looks like right now. (there's always more snow falling)
so... is there anyone complain about snow now?

Edit:HUUUGE image is HUUUUUUGE. Please use a spoiler tag next time.
desolatoDec 12, 2010 2:41 PM
Dec 10, 2010 11:35 AM

Dec 2009
Tell that snow from Paris to get his ass over here , my school gets shut down if there are more then 7 cm of snow.
Ps Tell the snow to hurry!!!
Dec 10, 2010 3:07 PM

Nov 2009
SNOWBALL FIGHT!!!

I guess if it isn't expected, it makes a bit of sense to shut things down.

We had 3 snowdays in a row here after the first real snowfall. I doubt we'll be getting any more snowdays, since people are now prepared.
Dec 10, 2010 4:03 PM

Aug 2009
The weather around here has been a total chaos since a week ago or so. In Portugal some cities were hit by a tornado. A tornado in Portugal O_o.
Dec 10, 2010 4:11 PM
Feb 2010
It's like last year when down south had a ton of snow and everything had to be shut down. They don't expect and aren't prepared for the snow and shutting everything down takes away alot of the dangers they would face if they didn't.
Dec 10, 2010 7:32 PM

Jun 2008
Nika-senpai said:
Just for comparison, it took about four feet to shut down everything in the city (in Ontario) earlier this week. It was a record snowfall here, too.

I'm not surprised that drivers would be having trouble if some of them have never even seen snow that actually accumulates on the ground :p
Where was this? It snowed a lot but it didn't pile up for us Toronto. Up north I assume?

And just a random note of fanaticism, oh shiaaaaaat it's global warming.
Dec 10, 2010 8:39 PM

Jan 2009
I think what a lot of people don't understand is that city's like this have no where to put snow. 4 Inches may not seem like a lot but when you have no where to plow it into it adds up quickly. Takes up a lot of space in an already cramped space.
Dec 10, 2010 8:42 PM

Jul 2008
Tachii said:
Nika-senpai said:

Where was this? It snowed a lot but it didn't pile up for us Toronto. Up north I assume?

And just a random note of fanaticism, oh shiaaaaaat it's global warming.

Nah, way south actually. London, specifically.

It's on the snow belt, so there's at least three feet of snow that accumulates throughout the three-four winter months. They just weren't expecting that much in three days, bwahaha. I guess everyone underestimated the power of lake effect snow. :p

I am the senpai that notices you.

Dec 11, 2010 4:04 AM

Sep 2007
I can't really judge. My town is retarded in these aspects. I remember last year we had this scenario:

Monday: Oh my gosh ONE SNOWFLAKE! SHUT EVERYTHING DOWN! SOUND THE ALARMS!

A few days later...

Thursday: Wha-? You want us to shut everything down for the biggest blizzard we've had in years? Don't make us laugh!

Five of the school buses got into accidents, and the road was pretty much filled with snow plows and ambulances. It was beautiful in a sad, sad kind of way.

So yeah. I was totally going to laugh at France until I remembered my own inbred retard town. :/ Now I'm just kind of sad.
Dec 11, 2010 12:03 PM

May 2009
I heard that the same thing happened in Vancouver some time ago. Funny stuff.
Dec 11, 2010 10:52 PM

Jan 2009
I live in Florida now, but I grew up in Massachusetts and believe me, 4 inches of snow was nothing... we laughed at it, but nothing better was the time where our city was expecting a massive blizzard. They were talking of snow piling up by the footload so they cancelled all schools and shut down the city the day before the storm hit. Woke up the next morning and there was just a dusting on the ground, the storm missed us completely and everything was still shut down because they couldn't go back on an official closing.

So Paris shouldn't feel bad...

Well... maybe they should ^_^
"I don't want to live the dream because dreams always end when they get to the good part." - Sebastian Carmichael, A.R. Dragonfly
Dec 12, 2010 1:22 PM

Aug 2009
Interesting note: Apparently it takes 5x as much snow to do this:

That is the Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minnesota after some of the 20 inches (!) of snow that fell in the area the past few days ripped a hole in the air-supported roof of the dome.
And the dude from The Lake House is all "WHOA!"
Dec 12, 2010 2:29 PM

Jan 2010
if a region isnt prepared for it they have to shut down especially when its unusual for the area. My uncle runs a plowing and salting business so he rants about this all the time. When a region doesnt have enough salt they have to take extra precautions and if the pilots are not used to flying in snow they also have to take precautions. You also said it turned into a big slushy mess. Thats dangerous. >.> there is every reason to "shut down"

ps. live in wisconsin. used to shit loads of snow n cold
AcidBlackCherryDec 12, 2010 2:34 PM

Dec 12, 2010 2:37 PM

May 2010
We just had a blizzard here and we didn't shut down.
Dec 12, 2010 4:29 PM

Apr 2008
Does anyone happen to realize that Canada or parts of the USA are prepared for snow? Everyone has winter tires, the roads are salted etc.

Now if you live somewhere where it hardly snows, you're not going to have any large stocks on such precautions and hence everything will be much more a dangerous and therefor eeverything shuts down.

Although France bashing seems all the rage nowadays, how can you blame a country (or at least, parts of the country) that isn't prepared for snow because there is usually no need to prepare for snow?

If 4 inches of snow fell in Florida, i'd be quite sure that it would cause similar problems.
Dec 12, 2010 4:59 PM

May 2008
I agree with many people here.
It's not our place to judge the French when we're from regions that have snowfall every year.

And either way, it's better safe than sorry. With no preparation whatsoever and considering the excitement some of the french may feel with snow (kids running around, people just staring like dolts at the sky--lol cause I do that and i get snow every winder), there's just accidents waiting to happen. At least the French are trying to lessen the causalities that will inevitably happen.
"I've read so much manga that at times my mind works in comic panels and dramatically expressed chibis. I'm both ashamed and amused by this."

Dec 12, 2010 5:17 PM

Feb 2007
Sohei said:
Does anyone happen to realize that Canada or parts of the USA are prepared for snow? Everyone has winter tires, the roads are salted etc.
My part of Canada is not prepared for snow. We had 5cm of snow and it took me an hour longer to get to school (it was forecast snow, too). Lots of accidents, etc.
Dec 13, 2010 1:57 AM

Jan 2008
Seight said:
Interesting note: Apparently it takes 5x as much snow to do this:

That is the Metrodome in Minneapolis, Minnesota after some of the 20 inches (!) of snow that fell in the area the past few days ripped a hole in the air-supported roof of the dome.

The video of it was even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozg7XSx0Ugk
Dec 13, 2010 2:23 AM

Oct 2010
I'm in France for an internship atm, I live about 300 km from Paris. We had snowfall here too, not even 4 inches. Snow isn't such a problem, but it melted almost immediately and then froze again, turing the whole town into an ice rink. And the roads werent salted. Perhaps that's what happened in Paris too.
Dec 13, 2010 8:05 AM

Aug 2007
4 inches of snow!! Its really too much snow... Paris will have a White christmas with that!
Dec 13, 2010 8:15 AM

Sep 2007
Can Paris handle... two feet of snow!?

Dec 13, 2010 10:20 AM
Nov 2008
Seriously I am amazed. And not because of the frenchies but because of how moronic some replies here are.

Obviously a city that doesn't have the required anti-snow measures would shut down. Hell it never snows in Paris and even if it does it melts away instantly.

alexcampos said:

And about those measly 127 degrees Fahrenheit you must be kidding I mean in Qatar and in UAE we get those temperatures for extended periods of time, all the time and yet one dies. What weaklings...<---- Saying that would be just as retarded as what you just said.

Seriously it's all bout preparedness. If you don't have the necessary technologies to cope with natural phenomenons that weren't expected at all than this is unexpected. As a more extreme example would you want for people living in the northern Canada to be prepared for a heatwave?

Also it would be moronic for France to buy those street cleaning units etc. because they would only be used once what every 10 years? I can hardly call that a worthwhile investment. Also obviously we are forgetting about all the other regions of France that are able to cope with high snow levels.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.