Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 8:15 AM

Nov 2011
Jesus Christ, an assassination? It's kinda crazy that lives are in danger and a candidate for queen's position is still up for grabs. One of the better episodes imo.

It kept an eerie momentum and uncertainty. Seems everyone could be a potential target.
Jun 8, 9:50 AM

Apr 2009
Now that is quite the twist...
There was a hint of it in some promo videos prior to the shows airing, still quite a surprise.
Yukiya's disappointment at the end was painful to watch though.
This episode kept me on edge, well done. Too bad that the animation quality took a dip here in the action scenes.
shiroi-ookamiJun 8, 9:57 AM
Jun 8, 11:54 AM
Feb 2024
Atsufusa’s acting was incredible, that was perfect! Of course I wanted the Prince and Yukiya to live, but that’s was a phenomenal assassination attempt- well played. Good thing Yukiya is a quick thinker. He better get some kumquats for his efforts later.

I was skeptical, but it looks like Lord Natsuka really is one of the good guys. It’s been awhile since I’ve seen a strong sibling relationship like this even though the younger is the successor, that’s awesome! And he’s appreciative of Yukiya’s efforts to support his brother.
Man, I love this anime.
They left it on a sad note though… Yukiya thinks they only wanted him for his connection to the North House 🥲
A good long talk and some kumquats’ll clear this right up, I’m sure
Jun 8, 12:16 PM

Jul 2017
An episode filled with plot twists, a rise in intensity with the assassination attempts, betrayals and Yukiya trying to escape and find a way to save the prince amidst all the chaos and even the ending with learning about the alliance between Nazukihiko and Natsuka given all the aggressive teasing the anime's done with a betrayal and a split happening at some point. Animation wasn't at its best but this was still quite the episode to say the least, and a much needed one to build more hype and intrigue towards the second half of this show. Interested to learn more about what will happen with Yukiya given how they knew about who he really was and that he was used for his connections with the North House more than what 'he' offered but still got plenty of time to see how Yukiya's character continues to evolve. Shame since he really busted his ass this episode in very extreme circumstances and being kind of left in the dust when it comes to truths and alliances at the time. Atsufusa did a hell of a job with the acting since even though his niceness could have been suspicious, he did his role well since the betrayal really caught me off guard but ultimately, all of his efforts went to naught there.
Jun 8, 12:16 PM

Feb 2019
Astufusa HOLY SHIT WHAT A TWIST this show is COOKING. I was like one episode away from saying they need to just stick to the Sakura palace stuff because the male side of things was getting kinda meh, but this was exactly what they needed!

Astufusa playing 4D chess with the death ruse, the poison, trying to kill the prince etc.. just speechless. One of the best planned assassination attempts/betrayals I’ve seen. Yukiya’s quick thinking saved the day. My boy has grown tremendously in these first 10 eps.

But the twists ain’t done! WTF THE OLDER BROTHER IS A GOOD GUY??? This one really threw me for a loop because man I was sure he was a classically evil jealous brother. But they’re giving him the Itachi treatment, I like it. Collecting all the prince’s enemies in one spot to take them out in one fell swoop.

Sucks that things ended on a sour note with Yukiya.. he’s still really insecure understandably about his heritage and with the prince knowing about his true origin he thinks they just want him for political gain.. hopefully it gets cleared up next episode. You bring a lot to the table Yukiya
Marinate1016Jun 8, 1:00 PM
Jun 8, 1:22 PM

Jun 2020
Amazing rise in the dramatic shifts in this episode. Awesome!
Jun 8, 1:32 PM
May 2024
With each episode it gets better, if yukiya was against them that would be a huge turn of events. Like becoming the final villain, or better, antagonist.

Too bad there was a slight drop in animation in the fight scenes...
Jun 8, 2:31 PM

Jul 2021
There was one thing that's been bothering me in the back of my mind, and that's the fact that Yukiya was recommended to the Prince's attendant position by none other than Natsuka. I've been vaguely wondering what his game was back then. It looked like a spur of the moment decision, where Natsuka was so amused by this quick-witted, headstrong country bumpkin that he decided to send him off to his brother to mess with him and/or insult him. Now we know Natsuka was specifically aiming for Yukiya, in order to help his brother.

I should've known that there are no real coincidences in this show...

Yukiya figuring that out by himself was a little far-fetched, however. "Wakamiya knowing which temple Yukiya will be sent off to" is such a minor detail to think back on, especially when he's in a life-or-death situation and running out of time.

It might've been more believable if we saw Yukiya's line of thinking go from "why is this happening, why am I even here" to "who exactly sent me to the Prince," and then arriving on Natsuka. The show still goes back to that moment between Yukiya and Natsuka, though, so I guess it still works in the end.

Alternatively, Yukiya could've thought back to his relationship with his own older brother and just decided to gamble on familial ties. I admit that that would've been extremely naive. But I think Yukiya already learned that Natsuka himself doesn't really give orders, and I think Wakamiya never expressed hatred or concern towards Natsuka himself, so it might not have been a completely blind bet.

But overall, excellent twist. I can't think of anything I've seen in the past that contradicts this secret alliance.
Jun 8, 2:34 PM
Feb 2024
This episode was so good! The way the character twists were revealed was incredible and really hammers home why Yukiya has to be the Mc rather than any other character.
Jun 8, 2:44 PM
Aug 2020
another great episode

everything was perfect

he told us last week to pay attention to details

so the brother was helping him

damnnnnn
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Jun 8, 4:31 PM

Mar 2016
The twists and turns were pretty nice for what they were, at least. That being said, it still doesn’t have me significantly more interested in all this inner political conflict. Kinda convenient a setup having Yukiya being intentionally put in the dark about the more important intel. Like yea ofc he’s of important lineage all this time and he thinks he’s only being used for such. Not that I blame him for thinking that and feeling disappointed in Wakamiya and the rest of the associates, in fairness. Then again, this script feels far too familiar and recycled to make me compelled about any of the characters’ motivations especially when said characters still fail to spark any personal investment in them.

Next episode PV: “Whom does the excuse of loyalty serve?”

Hmm I wonder what the million dollar answer to that is…
Jun 8, 7:26 PM
Sep 2015
I never thought Rokon would be our ally, but the flashback when Yukiya force himself to remember make me realize that Rokon is trustable. It's very well executed.
Jun 8, 7:33 PM
May 2019
I am IN LOVE with this series! It's just so beautiful and well written. I would love to read the novels, but as far as I know there's no translation anywhere...
This one was by far the best episode of the series. I hope it goes like this for the seound half too, the pace was good, the plot was delivered well, the animation was pretty good and the visuals are stunning.
Jun 8, 8:07 PM
Oct 2021
i read vol 1 of the manga,i know who the bad guy is
i read plot twist after plot twist, it was insanee
and the anime STILL SHOWED ME ANOTHER PLOT TWIST from vol 2
y'all are not ready
Jun 9, 5:12 AM

Dec 2016
What a banger of an episode.

The direction in the beginning read like a horror movie. So much atmosphere with the sharp cuts and the dark rain.

Can’t wait to see where the story heads now.
Jun 9, 8:28 AM

Jan 2017
Had a feeling that Natsuka is not a villain in this story and I'm glad that my hunch was right. Kinda didn't expect Atsufusa to be a traitor though; I thought it was Rokon actually, but seeing him save the prince at the last minute made all my annoyance towards him from the previous episodes melt away. Yukiya is too smart to figure out the allies; he's really deserving to be the prince's aide now and in the future. Next is that we'll be seeing more of him and his past, so I'm really looking forward to it! 🖤
Jun 9, 9:15 AM
Sep 2014
Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.
Jun 9, 10:56 AM

Sep 2011
quite the misdirection of a plot twist in this episode. really thought atsufusa was going to die at the beginning there. a real shame now, knowing he's a traitorous villain.
Jun 9, 1:17 PM
May 2018
I don't understand: do they need something from North house? How connection with Yukiya can help them?

Jun 10, 12:02 AM
Apr 2024
@maarda,Those of the North House are warriors, their leader Genya is a general at the head of Yamauchi's army (Urinten-gun).So, it is important for imperial heir of Yamauchi to have the army on his side.
Jun 10, 9:02 PM
Feb 2015
Yukiya figure out who the secret alliance is, some of part that are not matching finally clear up.
Love how they turn the table on us this episode

They choose Yukiya based on his pedigree and heritage but that's not all definitely. Didn't he remember the day the golden kinu save him? maybe that was the promised between he and Wakamiya.
jumbosanJun 10, 9:13 PM
Jun 11, 4:31 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to jumbosan
Yukiya figure out who the secret alliance is, some of part that are not matching finally clear up.
Love how they turn the table on us this episode

They choose Yukiya based on his pedigree and heritage but that's not all definitely. Didn't he remember the day the golden kinu save him? maybe that was the promised between he and Wakamiya.
@jumbosan, Unfortunately, Yukia didn't remember! Because then the true kin'u put him and Yukichi into a magic sleep and erased their memories...
Jun 11, 6:09 PM
Feb 2015
Reply to KisMaczka
@jumbosan, Unfortunately, Yukia didn't remember! Because then the true kin'u put him and Yukichi into a magic sleep and erased their memories...
@KisMaczka That was mindblowing, I want to see that happen in anime. I can't help but get spoiled since I'm so curious about Yatagarasu world.
Jun 12, 2:14 AM
Apr 2024
@jumbosan,I hope they show some of it in this anime. The princess brides and wakamiya + Yukia arcs need another 2-3 episodes to be finished. The remaining 7 or 8 episodes may be based on volume 3 of the novels. Depends on the anime director and screenwriters...
KisMaczkaJun 12, 5:11 AM
Jun 14, 1:27 PM

May 2018
Damn... the art is good, the music is epic, the story is interesting, and the characters are actually relevant... best anime of spring 2024 for sure
can't yuck my yum

Jun 15, 11:21 AM

Jul 2017
With all of the distortions of the Cherry Blossom Palace, everything comes to a head.

Atsufusa trying his very best to convince Natsuka to reconsider, only to be met by Rokon and almost slashed to death, thankfully he's still alive, with the word intact to Wakamiya at the Watchful Moon. Even worse, both Wakamiya and Sumio falling into the trap of Karon incense laid out by Atsufusa, as well as the staff of the inn, leaving Yukiya intact to find an escape route only used for court ravens. Finding allies, or running to save his life, that's his only train of thought to know who's friend or foe, that thankfully his advises with Wakamiya, gives him a chance to find someone he knows.

Atsufusa's plot colliding with the Yamauchi Guard to assassinate Wakamiya fails as he gains an unexpected ally: Rokon, thanks to Yukiya in desperation at the Clear Mirror Temple. In actuality, Natsuka is actually a good brother, having Wakamiya protect him all this time. Natsuka being a true Kin'u for the failings of the Royal Kingdom's family woes, and the fact that the brothers had an alliance, Yukiya had a hand since he did not want to train at the Unbending Reed Monastery.

Atsufusa's complete betrayal, and Yukiya being the grandson of the North, the latter impresses me more, but if he's only used for political gain, then his life is such a waste.
Jun 17, 2:45 PM

Apr 2012
Lol, that was unexpected and quite original. An enemy is really a friend, and a friend is really an enemy. I don't deny that this may have been hinted at before and I was just damb and didn't notice it, but I've been missing a show about intrigues that knows how to surprise for a long time.
Jun 27, 5:54 PM
Apr 2020
This episode was ABSOLUTE FIRE. The plot twists just kept coming and I was so incredibly impressed by how much the writers were able to obsure from viewers while still making logical sense once the reveal happened. Blood pumping animation matched with tight storytelling make this episode deserving of top marks.
Jul 11, 4:40 PM

Oct 2017
Atsufusa actually being the bad guy caught me offguard given how nice he was acting that he didn't even come as suspicious. Well done.

So Natsuka is supportive of Wakamiya after all, I initially thought that was the case and I'm really glad it is. Brothers should be brothers and not after one another's life. Also always thought it'd be a shame to have someone of Rokon's calibar to be on the enemy side. This episode made me really happy.

Wonder if the empress knows about Natsuka. Cause she said that he hides his true feelings even from his family making him a true southern.

Also got to know who the northern lord's second daughter was, Yukiya's mother. I hope Wakamiya will reassure Yukiya.
Jul 13, 9:55 AM

Mar 2008

This moment spoiled the episode for me and is a huge disappointment.
I really didn't expected and thought possible that an anime of such quality would resort to something so dumb and forced.
Sep 1, 2:41 PM
Oct 2020
So his biggest ally is the one he supposedly should be fighting against. I really like that the relationship between the brothers is good. I figured it might've been something like this due to how Rokon acted with Sumio. The two sides should be 100% at odds each other but something just didn't feel right. What was Natsuka hiding from his mother? etc etc so I thought something like this might be the case.

Still the episode ended on a sad note when Yukiya's blood line is revealed.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 14

18 by jumbosan »»
Today, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 29

60 by Sho_go »»
Sep 18, 7:36 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 31

14 by Vanettii »»
Sep 14, 7:34 PM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 7

30 by CaptainKenshiro »»
Sep 11, 11:11 AM

Poll: » Karasu wa Aruji wo Erabanai Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 1

38 by CaptainKenshiro »»
Sep 9, 9:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.