Forum Settings
Forums

What anime challenge traditional notions of morality and ethics, and what philosophical questions does it raise about the nature of good and evil?

New
May 23, 11:35 AM

Aug 2018
Deep Talk. I feel philosophical, ready to here thoughts.

May 23, 11:54 AM

Sep 2016
"My Life as Inukai-san's Dog challenges traditional notions of morality and ethics by centering around the idea of a human being transformed into a dog including the moral dilemmas and ethical questions that arise from this transformation. One of the main philosophical questions raised by the concept of this Anime is the idea of whether morality is inherent or dependent on one's physical form. Does turning into a dog change one's moral compass or does it reveal one's true nature? How does the transformation affect the individual's relationships with others and how do others perceive and interact with the transformed individual? This raises complex philosophical questions about the nature of good and evil, morality, identity and societal norms, challenging traditional notions and prompting viewers to reconsider their beliefs and assumptions about these concepts."
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 23, 12:07 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
"My Life as Inukai-san's Dog challenges traditional notions of morality and ethics by centering around the idea of a human being transformed into a dog including the moral dilemmas and ethical questions that arise from this transformation. One of the main philosophical questions raised by the concept of this Anime is the idea of whether morality is inherent or dependent on one's physical form. Does turning into a dog change one's moral compass or does it reveal one's true nature? How does the transformation affect the individual's relationships with others and how do others perceive and interact with the transformed individual? This raises complex philosophical questions about the nature of good and evil, morality, identity and societal norms, challenging traditional notions and prompting viewers to reconsider their beliefs and assumptions about these concepts."
@Zarutaku I would love to live my life as Inukai-san’s dog

I don’t care if it’s similar to having the Keyaru (beta version) and Flare prison dynamic.
May 23, 12:09 PM

Mar 2013
Happy Sugar Life does not count in challenging typical notions of morality as the show makes it quite clear that its lead character, Satou, is a sociopath who has kidnapped, imprisoned, and groomed a 8 year old child to be in a “romantic” relationship with them. Rather, it (sort of) challenges the audience to understand Satou and her twisted rationale. It does not so much raise philosophical questions on good or evil so much as it tries to characterize the latter in all too human terms. It is more psychological than philosophical.

Naoki Urasawa’s Monster is a bit more philosophical regarding Tenma’s struggles over reconciling his guilt of saving a monster and what role do doctors have in enabling the actions of others. Should doctors play god, both over life and death? Monster is more of an ahistorical psychological thriller drama, but this question does hang over the head if Dr. Tenma as he pursues Johan. The other question it asks is whether pure evil exists, and where does it arise from. Is Johan actually pure evil? I think it has too many episodes, but I do not know if I agree with Tenma in the end. (I should honestly start Pluto too)

Speaking of which, Oreimo challenges the societal taboo of not fucking your imouto. After all, is not incest just a more viable take on the childhood friends trope?

Trigun also veers into this territory between the pacifistic Vash and his brother the misanthropic Knives.
May 23, 12:14 PM

Sep 2016
Jackof-allspades said:
I don’t care if it’s similar to having the Keyaru (beta version) and Flare prison dynamic.

Not much similar, Flare is an evil rapist and who drugged Keyaru to make him an obedient slave.
Poor guy really, he even gets vilified by SJWs for taking revenge on her after turning the tables.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 23, 12:31 PM

Jul 2013
Anime almost never questions the status quo...because it is usually just propaganda for justifying the status quo...
May 23, 12:37 PM

Sep 2017
Made in Abyss and especially Bondrewd would like to have a word

Also, Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
May 23, 1:08 PM

Dec 2021
Closest thing I can think of is Patalliro, for being a homonormative anime taking place in a mostly homosexual world. It's never taken too seriously there, but it's the only time where I can unironically use the word "homonormative". Otherwise I don't watch deep anime, since I'm dumb lol.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 23, 1:09 PM

Feb 2024
Devilman: Crybaby.
Kindness is powerless, evil is unconscious, faith is vain, purity is doubtful.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 23, 1:25 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to PeripheralVision
Happy Sugar Life does not count in challenging typical notions of morality as the show makes it quite clear that its lead character, Satou, is a sociopath who has kidnapped, imprisoned, and groomed a 8 year old child to be in a “romantic” relationship with them. Rather, it (sort of) challenges the audience to understand Satou and her twisted rationale. It does not so much raise philosophical questions on good or evil so much as it tries to characterize the latter in all too human terms. It is more psychological than philosophical.

Naoki Urasawa’s Monster is a bit more philosophical regarding Tenma’s struggles over reconciling his guilt of saving a monster and what role do doctors have in enabling the actions of others. Should doctors play god, both over life and death? Monster is more of an ahistorical psychological thriller drama, but this question does hang over the head if Dr. Tenma as he pursues Johan. The other question it asks is whether pure evil exists, and where does it arise from. Is Johan actually pure evil? I think it has too many episodes, but I do not know if I agree with Tenma in the end. (I should honestly start Pluto too)

Speaking of which, Oreimo challenges the societal taboo of not fucking your imouto. After all, is not incest just a more viable take on the childhood friends trope?

Trigun also veers into this territory between the pacifistic Vash and his brother the misanthropic Knives.
@PeripheralVision I think this is the only time I have ever seen someone mention Happy Sugar Life. And I believe that people do not truly understand the premise, cause something like the synopsis here on MAL does not really get into how much of a fucked up psychological mess it is. And as a result, people do not like as it was not what they expected. I did like the story very much, not so the actual animation.

Be safe and well travels,
Chris
May 23, 1:26 PM

Jan 2009
attack on titans moral lesson is genocide is the solution /s
May 23, 1:38 PM

May 2021
Attack on Titan challenges the very nationalism we're taught to celebrate and demonstrates how moral relativism is a garbage justification in ethics—in my opinion, just off the top of my head
May 23, 1:53 PM
Aug 2018
I'm watching Kill la Kill currently, and it certainly challenges traditional notions of morality and ethics while also raising philosophical questions about the nature of good and evil...

So, what does it truly mean to be good or evil?

Is it the absurd concept of clothing as some form of self expression and individualism?

Or maybe the whole idea of authority, and rising up and rebelling against it?

Do we or should we conform to societal norms, or should we say "fuck all that" and instead break free from oppression, repression and pathetic ideals?

Or maybe it's just a fanservice anime, and I should just turn off my brain while watching it...

May 23, 1:56 PM

Dec 2013
Reply to JessicaKari
Attack on Titan challenges the very nationalism we're taught to celebrate and demonstrates how moral relativism is a garbage justification in ethics—in my opinion, just off the top of my head
@JessicaKari I think challanges more then that, from morality, idiologies and even values, AOT challanges everything.
May 23, 2:10 PM

Feb 2016
Reply to PeripheralVision

PeripheralVision said:

I believe Happy Sugar Life challenges viewers to ask if Shio's life is better with or without Satou.

Darker than Black follows the lives of humans who think and behave very differently from what we expect of our species. Can they still be considered human?
その目だれの目?
May 23, 2:11 PM

Nov 2018
I will die on the hill that One Piece does exactly this. Because the strawhats are the protagonists of the anime, it's easy to see who is good and who is evil so I understand why people may disagree. However, while I am not that far into the series, it's very clear immediately that the main cast in their world are labeled as terrorists, and in our world they would also be viewed as terrorists by major world governments. They challenge the status quo with every episode and seek for justice in unconventional ways, and while we know to distinguish good from evil in the series, that's much easier said than done in reality. I'd also like to contrast One Piece with My Hero Academia; if we place the cast of One Piece in the world of MHA, they would unequivocally be the antagonists of the series because the main cast of MHA does seek to maintain the status quo and uphold essentially a police state. Yet, in MHA, we're also taught to root for the protagonists. In this case, we have one series where we root for what are considered terrorists and another series where we root for what are considered superheroes, but the terrorists also do just as much if not more for marginalized communities than the superheroes who consider anything other than the status quo as wrong. So, One Piece does challenge notions of morality and ethics. The writer succeeds in showing that despite the strawhats being unconventional and viewed as terrorists by governing powers, we can identify them as the good guys regardless of how they would be viewed in other series because of their liberation movements.
May 23, 2:17 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
Jackof-allspades said:

Not much similar, Flare is an evil rapist and who drugged Keyaru to make him an obedient slave.
Poor guy really, he even gets vilified by SJWs for taking revenge on her after turning the tables.
@Zarutaku I have never watched Akuma no Riddle actually so I just went with “oh sadistic looking pink hair girl who happens to be named inukai” and rolled with that…
May 23, 2:20 PM

May 2021
Reply to Viriathus
@JessicaKari I think challanges more then that, from morality, idiologies and even values, AOT challanges everything.
@Viriathus definitely, was just throwing out a specific philosophical theory it challenges
May 23, 2:20 PM
Aug 2016
Of course Legend of Galactic Heroes!!
Whats better a corrupted democracy or a efficient autocracy?
What are the grounds for the political system?
May 23, 2:44 PM

Apr 2018
Watching Konata Izumi ask which side of the chocolate conch is the head makes me think about one of the most common questions: it can be interpreted as a reflection on the nature of truth. Konata, known for her playful nature and interest in pop culture, uses an everyday object to raise deep philosophical questions.

The chocolate conch, which does not have a defined 'head', serves as a metaphor for truth. Konata's question suggests that what we consider to be truth may not have a clear and objective definition. Rather than seeking a single absolute truth, Konata proposes the idea that truth can be relative and subjective, varying depending on each individual's perspective. This interpretation aligns with existentialism, which maintains that existence precedes essence and that it is the individual who gives meaning to his life and the world around him. The scene invites viewers to consider that our understandings of 'truth' may be as varied and unique as ourselves, and that perhaps the search for a single universal truth is itself an endless task.

In short, the scene not only reflects Konata's curious and thoughtful personality, but also offers an opportunity for viewers to contemplate the elusive nature of truth and how our individual perceptions shape our reality.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
May 23, 3:01 PM

Jan 2023
What are the odds i read your question after just finishing Shinsekai Yori lmaoo
May 23, 3:37 PM

Oct 2013
Monster Musume asks the the age old question "is it ok to bang a horse if it has human tiddies?"
May 23, 3:47 PM

Mar 2008
Rhae said:
I'm watching Kill la Kill currently, and it certainly challenges traditional notions of morality and ethics while also raising philosophical questions about the nature of good and evil...

Is it the absurd concept of clothing as some form of self expression and individualism?

Do we or should we conform to societal norms, or should we say "fuck all that" and instead break free from oppression, repression and pathetic ideals?

Or maybe it's just a fanservice anime, and I should just turn off my brain while watching it...

I could see clothing representing individualism in some way but really clothing is also used to show conformity so there also was a clear message against conformity and obedience to authority.
May 23, 4:02 PM
Aug 2018
Reply to traed
Rhae said:

I could see clothing representing individualism in some way but really clothing is also used to show conformity so there also was a clear message against conformity and obedience to authority.
@traed True, how could I have overlooked that? 😭

I was too busy admiring... the art style and animation.
May 23, 4:05 PM

Jul 2021
Definitely not Monster, that just proves that the status quo is right.
May 23, 4:14 PM

Oct 2010
death note is the anime for that.
and yes, killing is good if it's for the greater good as we saw it happening, all those police were evil because they were working against the population. Only Kira can judge humanity and not some random human institution who is corrupt as we saw in Misa's case. Kira can judge fairly and the result is a good society where people can live in peace and the kind people will never be oppressed by the evil police system shoehorned by L and the like. L is evil, he let one guy die for his stubborn reasons whereas Kira never killed randomly, L is a man of the evil system who's only job is to have fun playing with lives, remember how he abused Misa and got people killed for his selfish reasons, Kira is our god and the only justice.

More topics from this board

» Do you tend to skip the first episode/first few episodes of long running shows? ( 1 2 )

TheBlockernator - Jun 15

57 by konkelo »»
4 minutes ago

» Is the Three Sword Style (Santouryuu) the most awesome fighting style or technique there is?

SmugMiri - 33 minutes ago

4 by silversaint »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 3 )

melodyily - Jun 15

100 by SleepySera »»
10 minutes ago

» If the world was ending tomorrow

JoeChip - Jun 18

41 by SleepySera »»
14 minutes ago

» did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Jun 17

55 by SleepySera »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.