Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 2, 2023 9:22 AM

Nov 2011
How interesting...a case involving a thief and taking place in such a time period too.

Getting mystery elements into this episode made it all too fitting. I like how despite being in that cage, Aya still has her intuitive mind at work. Not sure how long this arc will last but it should get interesting. 
Aug 2, 2023 10:48 AM

Jul 2017
A case of a kidnapping and thievery under the Paris Opera house, of Arsene Lupin and Sherlock Holmes, Erik becomes the Phantom assistant.

The area of Lupin and Holmes, Tsugaru and Rindo pardon themselves, though getting caught by the Scotland Yard from some hooligans tryng to rob them of the book that Tsugaru stole from the walking stick shop, Together with Holmes and Watson whom Phileas Fogg has assigned for this investigation role, supervised by Inspector Lestrade, Rindo actually can bring this case to an end, though the Penultimate Night which is a 80-carat black diamond that slipped through a total of 108 people's supervision, it's bad enough to be slipped by.

The 80-carat diamond which Lupin's after, it's a delicate treasure that's well guarded from tradition. The origin from Germany, and friends coming from all ove rthe globe, this puzzle-like maze is what stops them.

This is only the beginning, though having the Rakugo of Goemon Ishikawa, the cases are flowing by like 5 minutes. It's that engrossing.
Aug 2, 2023 11:10 AM

Mar 2020
Arsene Lupin, Holmes, Watson, and the cage user Aya all caught up in a case together, that is truly something to behold...

One case ends, and another begins as this time, Aya and Tsugaru find themselves in London, summoned by Phileas Fogg, the main character of Jules Verne's novel Around the World in Eighty Days. The task at hand this time was to protect the Penultimate Night, an eighty-carat black diamond, and along with Holmes, Watson, Inspector Lestrade, and many other supervisors, it proves to be a tall order. The episode this time was mostly to get acquainted with the Fogg mansion, and it was very interesting, though admittedly, I'm not so well-versed in literature to understand all the references that there were, yet it was very engrossing and interesting to watch, with such dialogue that flows so well the episode ended before I knew it. Looking forward to how this all plays out.
Aug 2, 2023 11:20 AM
Sep 2015
More and more European-origin characters appear. I think this is gonna be a very big case that last until episode 13. You can't have Holmes, Lupin, Phantom of the Opera, Phileas Fogg, Moriarty, etc involve in this case and end in just 2-3 episodes, can you?
Aug 2, 2023 11:23 AM

Dec 2020
This is really getting interesting tbh with sherlock holmes and lupin ane one mysterious group with these white clothes looks very good this episode.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Aug 2, 2023 11:30 AM

Mar 2021
For a show that is so heavy on dialogue and light on action, it is kind of amazing how quickly these episodes go by. Really top-tier direction and production values. (And mind you, when there is action, is it really, really good.)

What a delightful find. 
Aug 2, 2023 11:32 AM
Jul 2023
And the mystery begins.

Tsugaru continues to be the goofiest man remain certain.
Aug 2, 2023 11:36 AM

Jan 2013
Man, this show just continues to ooze quality, I hope this blows up.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Aug 2, 2023 11:36 AM
May 2018
Well I got to say when I started this show I was not expecting an anime equivalent to something like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Interesting I'm guessing they combine the Persians character and the phantom into one character. Seeing Rindo and Sherlock guessing what the twin criminal were guilty of doing was really fun. I don't know why but just hearing them reference Goemon Ishikawa put a smile on my face.
link2601Aug 2, 2023 12:20 PM
Aug 2, 2023 11:40 AM
Jul 2016
I love seeing anime depictions of Sherlock Holmes. These are all meant to be the same guy!

Aug 2, 2023 11:42 AM

Feb 2019
Man I am loving the mystery solving aspect of this show. It’s so cool hopping all around Europe solving legendary mysteries. Lupin, Moriarty, Sherlock Holmes, Watson, Rindo etc all in the same arc is insane. This is definitely going to be a long one and I can’t wait to see it unfold. So many big personalities lol.

Lupin is likely already in the vault which is how he’ll get the diamond, but how is the big question. Rindo ended the episode by dropping the hint of Ishikawa Goemon who was essentially the Japanese Robin Hood. Very interesting.

Direction and quality of this series continue to be top notch and make even dialogue heavy episodes go by in the blink of an eye.
Marinate1016Aug 2, 2023 11:48 AM
Aug 2, 2023 11:43 AM

Feb 2019
erikkamirs said:
I love seeing anime depictions of Sherlock Holmes. These are all meant to be the same guy!

The moriarty one is the only canon one imo lmao
Aug 2, 2023 11:46 AM

Jul 2013
Just in case someone doesn't know who Ishikawa Goemon was (like I didn't):

Ishikawa Goemon (石川 五右衛門, Ishikawa Goemon, August 24, 1558 – October 8, 1594) was a legendary Japanese outlaw hero who stole gold and other valuables to give to the poor.[1] He and his son were boiled alive in public after their failed assassination attempt on the Sengoku period warlord Toyotomi Hideyoshi. His legend lives on in contemporary Japanese popular culture, often giving him greatly exaggerated ninja skills.
(Wikipedia)
Aug 2, 2023 11:50 AM

May 2020
And Scotland yard is in your service.. at your doorstep.. any minute

Though jokes aside, that was hilarious of how they set Holmes and Aya to meet each other face-to-face. There's going to be a lot of fun banter coming, so already looking forward. Now if for the episode itself, they did a good job in setting up along with briefing over the characters we'd see for the coming weeks. And mind you, most of them are those figures even a kid is familiar to, so there's already a fair of attachment.

Moriarty is already on the move with his circus it seems, so yeah Lupin ain't the only one they'll face.

Also this series really have some stacked cast of VA's.
Aug 2, 2023 12:00 PM

Feb 2021
So this show's version of Sherlock Holmes is quite different from the one on Moriarty the Patriot. 

And we also have the Phantom of the Opera now, interesting...
Aug 2, 2023 12:17 PM

Jan 2011
Public domain merchants. Let's see what they do with them. I don't know if I like the design of Sherlock Homles. Watson looks dope though. Also insurance company that...does this? Where do I sign up?
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 2, 2023 12:19 PM
Aug 2022
choukimochi said:
Just in case someone doesn't know who Ishikawa Goemon was (like I didn't):

Ishikawa Goemon (石川 五右衛門, Ishikawa Goemon, August 24, 1558 – October 8, 1594) was a legendary Japanese outlaw hero who stole gold and other valuables to give to the poor.[1] He and his son were boiled alive in public after their failed assassination attempt on the Sengoku period warlord Toyotomi Hideyoshi. His legend lives on in contemporary Japanese popular culture, often giving him greatly exaggerated ninja skills.
(Wikipedia)
Everyone who knows Lupin also knows Goemon...
Aug 2, 2023 12:43 PM

Nov 2011
Miyano Mamoru seems to be pretty busy guy xD

Nice ep, I like the way they blended all characters into one setting. Let's see how it will go. All are brilliant in their domains.
Aug 2, 2023 12:55 PM

Jun 2014
my favorite of the season. pretty stonk stuff
Aug 2, 2023 1:03 PM

Oct 2017
Just how many series has author mixed into this one lol. Things are looking quite interesting though. Excited for this case.
Aug 2, 2023 1:31 PM
Aug 2020
Would be funny if it was Lupin disguising as Phileas Fogg when he showed the diamond to the groups
justwinkleAug 2, 2023 3:10 PM
Aug 2, 2023 1:34 PM
Sep 2008
LOL they just left the safe door unlocked not that it probably matters too much since he wanted the safe as well but still
Aug 2, 2023 1:42 PM
Oct 2021
this show is so captivating and exciting to watch. probably in my top 3 of the season !
Aug 2, 2023 1:45 PM
Apr 2020
What a packed cast!!!!
Hoping this arc is as good as previous one
Aug 2, 2023 1:59 PM
Mar 2023
Sherlock in this episode is pretty accurate to the source material, they played him and Watson pretty straight

Unlike Ikemen of the Opera lol
Aug 2, 2023 2:45 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I'm curious to see how Arsene Lupin is going to steal the Penultimate Night diamond with the Phantom of the Opera's help. It seems like there is only one way in and out of the basement of the mansion where the diamond is being held, so I'm assuming that Arsene would disguise himself as Phileas Fogg when the Phantom causes a distraction. The guards at who have the other two keys at the entrance to the safe won't be able to know the difference between the real and fake Phileas Fogg who has the third and final key. I wonder what Aya's plan for stopping Arsene Luipn that involves Ishikawa Goemon?
Aug 2, 2023 3:07 PM
Aug 2020
Ready for a new story with some great characters…
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Aug 2, 2023 3:47 PM

Apr 2020
This Episode made me doubt the importance of having a 3 Episode Vampire Murder Mystery, when there are obviously a lot of more relevant characters and plotpoints waiting to be introduced to the story. Pace seems to be off.
Aug 2, 2023 3:59 PM

Apr 2023
Gosh I love the directing of this show, really curious about how this case will unfold!
Aug 2, 2023 6:12 PM

May 2017
That was a loredump so massive the resulting semiotic black hole is going to sphagettify the plot. Throwing everybody genre-adjacent you can think of into the thing is a mess, not a setting. At most all it does is distract from the fat lot of nothing the show has done the past four episodes.

But such is the detective genre; ironic and hilarious Holmes is the face of literary autolobotomization. Even the Holmes banter was trite. Well, maybe Miss Severed Head will put him in his place, and the show will return to focusing on its main characters, which are its true strength. It does seem like it's planning to unleash Aya and Tsugaru next episode. Good; that's what this thing needs if it's going to save itself.
Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est
Aug 2, 2023 6:29 PM

Feb 2017
I don't know how I feel about how all these literary characters that were introduced. They're all so theatrical and costumed up they stick out like a sore thumb in the world they're in.

Same goes for the monster hunter organization. You know you're flamboyant when freaking Tsugaru and a talking head are calling you too dramatic lmao. The loud white uniforms make sense for a fanatical group's sense of unity and self-righteous pride though. I loved how they exasperated our trio lmao. Also Fatima is adorbs! Can't wait to see more from her.

I don't like the idea of them keeping a diamond in a mysterious place they don't understand the engineering of. That room was like a video boss fight chamber. I hope the diamond the old man put in there was a fake, because right now it's loot.

I also weirdly suspect the old man employing them could be Lupin himself, since he's a master of disguise, or his rosy-nosed Butler. This isn't based on any clues, but I highly suspect he was in there with them.
Aug 2, 2023 6:43 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Anime of the season for me, probably..
Sherlock, Phileas Fogg, arsene lupin, phantom of opera, our Japanese oni, count Dracula,Frankenstein monsters,

Bruh we getting the band back together...
So many characters from the classic novels way better than those marvel comic bozos blowing up buildings which 12 year olds love

Aug 2, 2023 7:20 PM

Apr 2022
miki shinichiro as sherlock holmes is very cool. miyano as arsene lupin is cool as well but how lupin looks... just eh.
Aug 2, 2023 7:54 PM

Jan 2019
They really pulling out all the Western public domain characters, and my money's on Lupin being a werewolf.

Aug 2, 2023 8:18 PM
Jul 2020
This episode was so cool! Can't wait to see Lupin vs Sherlock and Aya
Aug 2, 2023 8:43 PM
Jul 2020
erikkamirs said:

Pretty sure that, design wise, the UGMF one is actually easily the most accurate to the original mythos.

He was always supposed to be a somewhat older gentleman.

Definitely not an L-style “messy but genius” kind and also 100% not some sort of youthful brat.

Holmes is just a gentleman. A well dressed older guy with a pipe.
Aug 2, 2023 10:31 PM
Sep 2021
Wow nice to see lupine, Sherlock Holmes in anime world with a mix of supernatural. Excited to know about what's going to happen next
Aug 2, 2023 10:57 PM

Oct 2018
Love that they chose kaiki deishu's va for holmes, really fits the mood/tone to a tee
Aug 2, 2023 10:58 PM

May 2019
This is an interesting new case, I wonder how Aya will do vs. Sherlock Holmes in protecting and solving the case (assuming the black diamond does end up being stolen). I'm also curious how Lupin and the Phantom of the Opera will end up pulling this heist, my guess right now is through a disguise.
Aug 3, 2023 2:52 AM
Nov 2021
erikkamirs said:

What's the name of the first show?
Aug 3, 2023 2:59 AM
Nov 2020
justwinkle said:
Would be funny if it was Lupin disguising as Phileas Fogg when he showed the diamond to the groups

I was looking around the room trying to figure out if one of them was disguised. Such an interesting idea 😊
Aug 3, 2023 4:01 AM

Feb 2018
I know they previously mention Sherlock, but I wasn't actually expecting him to be a proper character of the story, very unexpected!
Wonder how all these new characters are going to get along, and the mansion looks guarded but you know it won't be that easy.
Aug 3, 2023 4:33 AM

Jun 2021
A familiar set of characters. They got another case to solve.
Aug 3, 2023 10:48 AM

Jun 2016
this show is really interesting to watch ..

i loved it
Aug 3, 2023 11:58 AM
Jun 2023
This anime has grown to me!
My candy

Aug 3, 2023 1:00 PM

Feb 2015
I got so excited when I heard Mamoru Miyano enter the scene. Everything just gets better when he's in a show. X) Love how he seems to be in more shows again.
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Aug 3, 2023 2:08 PM
Jul 2023
Super curious about the timeline in this world, while supposedly set in the 19th century the globe shown at timestamp 09:20, though slightly blurry resembles a map of 1939 Europe specifically post annexation of Czechoslovakia , deduced from the Polish borders, existence of a Slovak nation state and the name of Germany overlapping the protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. Is this an inaccuracy (randomly placed globe), canon timeline (alt history coincidentally leaving the world with such real life resembling borders) or a confirmation of time travel?

Or am i mistaken? Any fellow history or map nerds out there?

Aug 3, 2023 3:24 PM

Apr 2012
Swole_Walter said:
Super curious about the timeline in this world, while supposedly set in the 19th century the globe shown at timestamp 09:20, though slightly blurry resembles a map of 1939 Europe specifically post annexation of Czechoslovakia , deduced from the Polish borders, existence of a Slovak nation state and the name of Germany overlapping the protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. Is this an inaccuracy (randomly placed globe), canon timeline (alt history coincidentally leaving the world with such real life resembling borders) or a confirmation of time travel?

Or am i mistaken? Any fellow history or map nerds out there?

I noticed that too. I had to pause and look at the map to see the historical outlines of each European country. But I had to let this somewhat geographical inaccuracy slide since this timeline/world also involves supernatural creatures that could've influenced the outcome of each nation's history.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Aug 3, 2023 5:04 PM
Mar 2015
Holmes and Watson and Lupin and Phantom of Opera enter the fray for Phineas Fogg's diamond
Aug 3, 2023 8:40 PM

Aug 2016
Love this cast of characters. I’m so hyped for this new case! Also, was Lupin flirting with his new assistant or have I been reading too much bl?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2023

118 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 23, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2023

124 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 19, 11:40 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2023

121 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 19, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2023

102 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 16, 11:07 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 19, 2023

101 by Ranxomare »»
Jun 16, 10:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.