Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 18, 2023 8:11 AM

Jul 2017
FINALE EPISODE.

Hinako falling sick and turning into a demon, Kanata baring its fangs at Koushi, Kira getting absolutely trampled by Yuoshichi's wifeit's a sign that worse things are yet still to come.

Touko and Akira going ahead of the precedence to take care of the Spiders, encounters the Wind Clan's Hibari to converse about the Flickering Flame, a mechanical doll built by the ancient humans. That, and which the fire hunter was supposed to hunt down the Lady Goddess to be crowned the Lord of the Fire Hunters, it's spiders like Kun coming to the rescue from the feud of incompetence.

Worse still, the divine clans relying on the Lady Goddess for everything, how low can they get. Hinako saving both Touko and Akira's familiar from drowning, and while she's still on the loose while the Okibi family is trying to locate her in full capacity, Touko will have to fend for herself.

An abrupt ending, this is clearly not over yet, but just the very beginning of a much sinister issue.

We end halfway into the complete novel's adaptation. See you in Season 2...if there is still interest in this great story but waning production.
https://twitter.com/hikarinoouanime/status/1637091494698835969
Mar 18, 2023 8:31 AM

Mar 2020
That escalated quickly, with Hinako turning into a demon, Kira getting sprayed with the seemingly illegal Asafuyou, and things are turning for the worst. More lore around the Flickering Flame was told by Hibari of the Wind Clan. Overall, an abrupt ending as we end in the middle of the novel, but Season 2 is coming.

The show was decent, with a very intriguing world and plot, sadly hampered by animation shortcomings. Still enjoyed it though.
Mar 18, 2023 8:42 AM

Oct 2022
The season ends abruptly just before the start of the mentioned war against the spiders. For me the show has an incredible world building with many unsolved mysteries. I like how they mix many lore elements (the struggling of humankind and his fear of fire, the god, the monsters,..). An enjoyable series not for everyone. The second season is a must to see in order to have an overall picture of what the hell happened

Mar 18, 2023 8:47 AM

Nov 2012
The most intriguing anime made since a long time. although i'm not sure how to judge it exactly, it feels like a mere introduction, albeit a great one. managed to set up the plot and world nicely. the reveal of the second season is unexpected, considering how much of a low budget this season had.

9/10
Mar 18, 2023 9:09 AM

Feb 2019
Yea I knew from the jump there was no way we were finishing hikari no ou story in 10 episodes. Way too rich a world and too much lore to cram in like that. Honestly don’t even know if two seasons can do it but we’ll see. Really nice finale setting up the final battle ahead with the divine clans
Mar 18, 2023 9:42 AM

Mar 2012
I went into this with a negative bias because it was directed by Junji Nishimura, and while the animation wasn't the best was quite ok story wise, I got bored of the info dumps and didn't pay much attention so I most likely missed out on some key points to the setting, I wish they would have put in better explanations instead of straight up narrating the whole thing.
Mar 18, 2023 9:58 AM

Jul 2011
Kanata knew that things could get bad. And almost gone bad.

Now I see Touko becoming the Hikari no Ou. That fight against the baboom could had used more time.
Mar 18, 2023 11:10 AM

Oct 2016
10 episodes of infodumbs and buildup for no resolution. I mean the dog is back with his family so at least one of the main plot points at the beginning got a resolution, but it was so-so. It was an insteresting buildup, but in the end just a buildup.
Mar 18, 2023 11:38 AM

Dec 2018
totally lost, have to start over honestly. so i can't rate yet but my impression as of this point is that it's really beautiful and interesting, i just got tripped up somewhere along the way.
Mar 18, 2023 12:47 PM

Sep 2007
I'm just feeling cheated and it's making me extra angry.
It feels like blatant novel commercial and it just don't function as an individual show.
It introduced some interesting world, buildups, nice narrative. And... nothing comes out of it. Episode 10 feels like yet another one, but suddenly - it's last of the season and they tell us to wait. 
I even turn a blind eye on horrid animation (I don't buy it as artistic) because I love complex postapo stories, and... I'm just so annoyed now.
Mar 18, 2023 1:05 PM

Jan 2015
I watched all the episodes but got so checked out from the exposition dumps that I couldn't tell you a single thing that happened after they got off the train.
Mar 18, 2023 2:03 PM
Oct 2008
Touko became Witcher, Hinako is possesed. I didn't expect such plot twist. I rate it 7/10 and wait for second season. Hope it will get better animation because I smell very good story!
Mar 18, 2023 2:08 PM

Sep 2018
I'm sure all the Oshii fanboys will rate this high for being "different" lol, this anime felt like a waste of damn time with obvious production issues. I'm not going to read you dumb novels XD
Mar 18, 2023 2:26 PM

Jun 2017
Gagarin said:
Touko became Witcher, Hinako is possesed. I didn't expect such plot twist. I rate it 7/10 and wait for second season. Hope it will get better animation because I smell very good story!

Totally agreed, that awakening moment was badass and it also makes me wonder just what is possessing Hinako.

This season ended so abruptly just when it really started to get moving but it's nice S2 was announced right away.

Mar 18, 2023 3:30 PM

Jan 2011
the lore was interesting but this didnt had much else other than that 6/10
Mar 18, 2023 3:37 PM

Sep 2018
"The advent of the Millennial comet, the Flickering Flame, is close at hand"

And I won't be there to see it lol... They forgot the meat and potatoes, and only had soggy green beans.
Mar 18, 2023 4:08 PM
Oct 2020
9/10. Solid fantasy series. People will hate it because of the animation, but those people are pretty weak.
Mar 18, 2023 4:27 PM

Sep 2018
"Solid fantasy series" lol. From the days of Twelve Kingdoms (the illustrator of this, also worked on it) to this underwhelming trash. Akihiro Yamada must be so disappointed.
Mar 18, 2023 5:22 PM

Jun 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg1HKNd5PUc

edit: Yes, yes and more yes.
Roch2001Mar 18, 2023 5:46 PM
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Mar 18, 2023 5:51 PM

Jun 2015
GakutoDeathGlare said:
"Solid fantasy series" lol. From the days of Twelve Kingdoms (the illustrator of this, also worked on it) to this underwhelming trash. Akihiro Yamada must be so disappointed.

go eat something. And by something I mean something which you wouldn't to.

edit: take your hate somewhere else you little xxx xxx xxx xxx
Roch2001Mar 18, 2023 6:01 PM
Mar 18, 2023 6:21 PM

Sep 2018
Roch2001 said:
GakutoDeathGlare said:

Sorry old man, not your echo chamber. I will shit on a series if I think it deserves it, similarly, I will also praise a series if I think it deserves it.

Mar 18, 2023 6:37 PM

Aug 2019
I seriously think I need to rewatch this lol I'm so confused rn

Couldn't even be bothered to fully watch through this final episode. And the animation is still so off even in this final episode :/
Mar 18, 2023 6:45 PM
May 2017
Damn what an abrupt end, I didn't realize it was only 10 episodes.

Anyways this episode was all over the place, but in a good way. Hinako going ape shit, Kun stepping out the cut ready for blood, and Touko is a pro fiend-killer. The post credit scene with her on the moon with who i can assume is the lady goddess? Man it's a lot going on.

Episode rated 4/5

Overall I like this show. It's like a gem in the rough. If some things were polished, and it's potential fully realized, it could have been a masterpiece.

Pros- unique plot, interesting characters, nice artstyle, worldbuilding, cool story, intriguing lore

Cons- bad animation, wonky pacing (sometimes)

Rated 7/10
Mar 18, 2023 8:44 PM

May 2022
I really enjoyed the first season and I’m looking forward to season 2. It’s a very unique and interesting story. The world was intriguing as well, I’d like to learn more about it. I’m hoping season 2 continues to flesh it out.

I know the animation was something some people couldn’t look past. It grew on me as the season went on.

I’ll always applaud shows that try something different instead of the “don’t take any chances”, “paint by numbers” approach you see often at times. Even though I enjoy them too, it’s refreshing to get a show like this to break it up.
Mar 18, 2023 11:42 PM
Nov 2016
A little rough around the edges but I liked this show overall. Worldbuilding and story really pulls you in, and the characters were good too. Hopefully have more budget for better animation next time. If there was one real negative, it was the pacing. First half went at a slow crawl, second half was warp speed. 
Mar 19, 2023 2:35 AM

Dec 2015
Gonna leave it at 7/10 for me. Some problems at the start - with the animation. Episode 2 was really weird. Plot got interesting later. But in this episode it already felt a bit like "too much". This can stay good and even get better. Or could get worse. Not really sure yet. I'll have a better opinion once the whole thing is released. Thought about giving it a 8 but since there is a risk that it still might get bad (plot writing in japanese stuff usually takes weird turns near the end) ... staying with a 7. (7.4 rounded down)
Mar 19, 2023 2:48 AM

Jun 2015
GakutoDeathGlare said:
Roch2001 said:

Sorry old man, not your echo chamber. I will shit on a series if I think it deserves it, similarly, I will also praise a series if I think it deserves it.

I rage inside as well. Our echo chambers are in harmony. Just a shame you don't like this show as I think its pretty decent.
Mar 19, 2023 9:26 AM

Nov 2013
Interesting. I assumed this was some fantasy world, but after-credit scene reveals it's the earth. Too many questions. Hopefully season 2 will answer all.
Mar 19, 2023 10:18 AM
Jun 2019
It's beautiful... but I have no idea what's going on
Mar 19, 2023 11:59 AM

May 2019
This season ended abruptly as up to last week MAL had not shown how many episodes were in this season. I found this series to be fairly unique with a decent storyline. Touko had some good development and she has become a fire hunter protege following Akira's and Koushi's late father's footsteps. I found the storyline compelling but hard to follow as it was kind of convoluted. For example, what happened to Hinako? She seems like she got possessed, escaped the mansion, reappeared to save Touku and appeared more normal but then she took off like an animal. I'm assuming we'll get more info in the 2nd season.

Anyways, the character designs were ok but the animation was lacking which was unfortunate. Hopefully they improve on some of the shortcomings for season 2. I give this a 7/10 and when the date of airing of season 2 is made I may re-watch season 1 to refresh my memory and also to get a better understanding of everything that is going on.
Mar 19, 2023 6:14 PM
Nov 2018
Wait, what, it's OVER?

Yeah, that's how to do a show. Build up to things and then stop before any of them are resolved.

As for the Spiders, we never really got to see them. We got to see the abandoned boy and a Spider tied up in the forest, and we got to hear about them. But that's not enough. It's like in the original Star Wars movie you'd never get to see any stormtroopers except one until it was time to blow up the Death Star. (And then they stopped the movie before the attack on the Death Star.)

It was disappointing. Luckily there were other good shows running at the same time.
Mar 19, 2023 10:11 PM
Jun 2022
Wtf??? Episode nine had an actual explosion and nobody is talking about it anymore? Nobody is talking about how Koushi invented a weapon of mass destruction as if it didn’t happen? We have zero resolution for most of the story (except I guess Kanata made it back to Koushi), and now we have even more questions. This isn’t what a last episode is supposed to be like. I feel cheated, bamboozled, taken for a fool. I did like this show-everybody is complaining about the animation but I liked it, it was stylized. The music was great. The world building was shaky, though compelling. But the writing was terrible. I felt lost so much of the time. Things were not explained well, the plot was not there. I liked this show much better until this episode and then lost it. I would not have known this was a final episode if I hadn’t seen it listed this way on MAL. Seriously, I’ve never had a worse feeling after finishing an anime. I really wanted to like this one more than I do.
Mar 19, 2023 10:52 PM
Oct 2019
It's Season Finale time.

Worldbuilding and Story was interesting but the Animation was really lacking ngl. Also the info dumping really not helping at all.
it could be so much better though, if it was made by more capable Studio.

hopefully the pacing could be much better in the second season.

I probably will need to rewatch this again when Season 2 is released because i will be so lost on everything.

6/10, because some of the VA that i like.
Mar 21, 2023 11:49 AM

Oct 2018
We're halfway into the script and getting a split now. Still don't know what t feel about this tbh.
Mar 21, 2023 1:14 PM

May 2015
This show is kind of interesting but also not interesting at the same time. A lot of things happening, and sometimes it was confusing to watch. But I like Touko and how badass she can be with the scythe. Don't know if I want to continue this though. I guess, there is a solid story to this, I'm just not sure if I like it all that much. 6/10
Mar 21, 2023 10:29 PM

Dec 2016
First of all, what was with Koushi's monotonous reaction after seeing his sister acting like that. You just saw your sister jumping and flipping on walls and ceilings like a possessed creature and you're like this “😐”. I get he was in shock but more than shocked he looked calm. He should've at least ran and tried to show some effort in stopping Hinata from strangling that woman but he just stood there. Kira acted more like a sibling than the actual brother himself.

Another info dump there by that Wind Clan Shinobi. Most of it went over my head.
So, according to that Shinobi, that satellite is their Lady Goddess herself or it's like a temporary vessel for her soul..?

I thought the ancient humans were more technologically advanced so they made satellite weapon and sent it to the space. But the humans and Divine Clans lost control of it and it will fall to earth anytime.
And that satellite (flickering flame) probably has the power to stop these fire fiends. And whoever catches it will be the lord of the fire hunters.

But there leaves one more question, what are these fire fiends? In episode 4, it was said that they are ancient mammals that turned into fire fiends to adapt to a changed environment. So, I was guessing these fire fiends were the result of some biological weapon experiment.

It keeps getting confusing. Just when I think I'm finally getting a grasp on what is happening but they decide to dump us with some completely different info.

Well as someone said on Reddit discussion, the OP song “Usotsuki” (Liar) does go well with how they are going with all the infos.

That Shinobi disappeared with Akira and Kun leaving Touko and the Chihuahua. We got to see a new version of Touko. I'm guessing she might become a roaming fire hunter. But after looking at the ending where Touko randomly goes to the space, we she her sitting beside the Lady Goddess in the satellite, now that makes me think she might become the new vessel for the Lady Goddess.

Let's see what info they'll throw on us in the next season.

I wanted to give it a 6 with how confusing it is. But the plot is intriguing enough to make me want to understand what's going on, so I'll give this season 7/10.
Mar 22, 2023 10:55 AM
Mar 2015
Things are coming  Touko has gone rouge . The  star has fallen signally a new age. The spiders are invading. The goddess is looking for a new body. The Flickering Flame is set inflame the earth
Mar 22, 2023 3:52 PM

Jul 2016
Surprise "final episode" out of nowhere. Like hell I'm gonna remember any of these plot-points when Season 2 airs lol.

Overall, interesting first season but not gonna lie, these past 10 episodes felt more like a long ass prologue than anything else. Huge lore infodumps stopped being intriguing after a while and though I didn't want to admit it at first, animation and production values in general indeed ended up lessening my enjoyment for this adaptation.

5,5/10 -> 6/10
SouthRzVaMar 22, 2023 3:55 PM
Mar 25, 2023 6:12 PM
Apr 2019
SOLID 7/10 I enjoyed it very much but it left bambozled
I was wondering if anyone can answer some question for me
1. What was koushi making with that lightning cannon
2. What is it that the gods don’t have and are seeking something about this lady being sick and needing a new successor
Thts all I need to know everything else is pretty much clear and I hope next season gets the budget it deserve
Mar 31, 2023 12:38 PM

Dec 2018
okay, now i think i have a better idea. this show is so darn frustrating because it gets so ridiculously and unexpectedly elaborate and then went 100mph into a brick wall to end the season. i want more but i wouldn't be surprised if i totally forgot about this show in a month.
Apr 1, 2023 11:45 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Lmao they really throw me such a big ass cliffhanger like that. Man that is evil, not gonna lie...

I mean what's up with Hinako? Akira and Kun while facing those angry divine clan bruh? Touko had a badass moment again after seeing the treefolk child bloodbathed, but for what end? Spider also reaching the capital finally, and the Gods also not wanting people to reach their divine 'sister' as if they want their source of power get stolen by a mere human. Tho, they forget, Touko being badass truly is the point of no return.

So yeah, i don't quite like this aftermath final episode, not to mention how the visual still at minimal for the least, sighing. Need more context, more detail plot regarding the whole story, and more of the solid animation. I think i understand the 6 stuck number on this. So i hope the continuation is better next....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 2, 2023 4:31 PM

Nov 2018
Many directorial decisions seem really odd, unnecessary and outright bad. No it doesn't have "bad" animation as some retards might think. It's just directed in an unnecessarily high and mighty artsy way that is just lacking and annoying. Probably won't be watching the second part.
Apr 22, 2023 10:34 AM

Feb 2021
OK, so Lain Iwakura transferred her consciousness into a satellite and survived an apocalypse just to get back close to Earth to become a god once more.

On a more serious note: bad animation is one thing, but 10 episodes of buildup (even if a good one) just to see a "see you in second season" is annoying. Story looks good, music and VA were good in this season, art had it's good moments, but everything falls down because of pacing and horrible animation. It was so bad, that sometimes interpreting what happened was difficult - like in the last fight scene. Facial expressions were wanky sometimes too - is that character angry, sad or shocked? Who knows?
Overall I hope this gets better production for next season.
Candies:
Apr 29, 2023 1:06 PM
Mar 2010
In a time plagued by isekai trash and half baked fantasy shows, here we have a series that held enormous potential but unfortunately felt like it never truly lived up to what it se itself for. I'll mainly attribute this to the production values. It's unfortunate that the show aired in its condition. Way too many awkward scenes and head scratching animation. It should have been delayed by at least another season for it to shine. This is not to say the storytelling itself was perfect. Multiple expositions and info dumps left me confused and mildly frustrated. Although a season 2 was announced, the 10 episodes didn't had any real conclusion for it to be sa satisfying one. Music is steller and hauntingly memorable.

6/10. I hope the second season will have better production values and direction.
May 1, 2023 3:41 PM

Jul 2015
Quite the abrupt end. Overall there were some obvious production issues (bad animation, pacing issues, etc.) and I was also not a fan of the infodumping but otherwise this had an unique and intesting plot and I also quite liked the artstyle. Hopefully s2 will be better.

May 13, 2023 11:55 AM

Jun 2019
My 224th completed series chronologically.

For the record, I extended it a 7/10 rating.
Jan 17, 9:42 AM

Aug 2021
I really loved the artstyle, animation, and just the vibe in general of this show. It's such a shame that the uninteresting expositions and info dumps made this such a chore to get through, that I mostly couldn't give a fuck about the story and instead just stared at how pretty the show is.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do people really think the animation quality is bad? ( 1 2 )

EmmyMoomin - Feb 7, 2023

73 by Serafos »»
May 22, 9:02 PM

Poll: » Hikari no Ou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jan 21, 2023

67 by LeAnToKi »»
May 5, 11:39 AM

» trivial question about the title name pronunciation

Link___ - Jan 24, 2023

10 by haku_mccvi »»
Apr 14, 7:42 PM

Poll: » The state of the fantasy genre in anime in the 2010s/20s

EmmyMoomin - Mar 18, 2023

8 by 0063873192871 »»
Apr 1, 4:33 AM

» For a world where fire was once worshipped; now was declared an enemy

sbyrstall2 - Mar 19, 2023

4 by 0063873192871 »»
Apr 1, 4:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.