Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
xxxHOLiC Omnibus
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 29, 2008 12:27 AM

Feb 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have a little bit of knowledge when it comes to superstitions, so it was interesting to see this theme in the episode. The flashback of Watanuki and his beliefs in superstitions was nice to watch, and the ending was pretty light-hearted and funny, as usual. I wonder, does Doumeki have a key for Watanuki's apartment? xD
May 1, 2008 10:39 PM

Feb 2008
I think they could have done a lot more with this topic and episode really. A little disappointed with it but it was ok.
Jun 29, 2008 9:36 PM

Feb 2008
Gotta love the ending of this ep

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
Aug 9, 2008 4:57 PM

Jun 2008
lol Doumeki popping up = win ^^

This show makes me so hungry T_T.... and the superstitions thing was interesting.... Watanuki's story was sad T~T

But him turning into a cow in his dream.... xD- screenshot moment =3:

Sig WILL change soon~
Sep 22, 2008 4:57 PM

Sep 2008
Yeah, this ep could have been better. It was another Twilight Zone worthy episode though.

Higurashi: Retroactively asserting why scary and cute sound so similar in Japanese.
Oct 30, 2008 5:04 AM

Jan 2008
Err...I cut my nails at night > <

Hahahah, how the heck did Doumeki pop in XD
Dec 18, 2008 11:16 AM

Aug 2008
True or not, superstitions are really powerful!
Dec 25, 2008 10:44 PM

May 2007
Wow Domeki rocked in this episode, otherwise another solid effort making me think about stuff I normally don't.
My anime list
Apr 21, 2009 8:19 PM

Mar 2009
I think Yuuko sent him for the brandy simply because he'd find the book.
I like how Yuuko has all of these hidden agendas. She really seems to care about Watanuki, even if he doesn't realize it. Doumeki cares about him, too. Watanuki can be so dense! ;-)
May 7, 2009 11:47 AM
May 2008
^ It's not necessarily that Watanuki is dense its more like he doesn't won't to accept their feelings/good intentions for him.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jul 19, 2009 1:19 AM
Jun 2009
Uh, I feel like I stumbled into the Cowbell of Happiness episode of Revolutionary Girl Utena for the first half of this episode!

I enjoyed the second half, but the first was just too weird for me! DX

Doumeki is just awesome. DouWata re like an old married couple already, haha, ;P I liked when he just made dinner himself, much to Watanuki's chagrin.
Aug 4, 2009 2:10 PM

Dec 2008
this ep was fun. loled at watanuki charging at himawari yelling moooooo. rofl

never been much of a superstitious person.
i'd believe to be one to make my own luck and misfortunes, everything else is left to coincidence.
Aug 5, 2009 5:08 AM

May 2009
Didn't appeal to me that much. I won't dare say that I don't believe in superstitions at all,but the ep went a bit too far. You can't really turn into a cow just for lying down right after you eat can you? XD

But Watanuki's past was indeed sad. And the moment when Yuuko put her hand on Watanuki's head....<3<3<3
Oct 31, 2009 4:11 PM
Jul 2008
In a show where all supernatural manifestations are either symbolical or comic relief, superstitions seem like a tough subject to take on.

The interesting part is when it is said that each saying, though it may sound nonsensical, is actually a masked warning against a true danger. For instance, everyone knows that they say it is "bad luck to walk under a ladder" because you are very likely to have something or someone fall on you if you do so.

It is also obvious that if you believe in superstitions, they are likely to work because you will have unconsciously acted to make them come true. For instance a good luck charm will seem to work because it will have made you more feel confident. All this to say that I would have liked if this anime showed that only a person's belief may make superstitions seem like they have power, however unfounded or ridiculous they are.
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
May 18, 2010 7:20 AM

Feb 2010
Ok, so Doumeki has upgraded to breaking (so to speak) into Watanuki's house... lovely.

I found this episode interesting. I'm not a superstitious person at all. I've clipped my nails at night and I've walked under ladders, and nothing has changed. However... if I saw what Watanuki saw, I'd probably be a believer.
It's not breaking in if the door is unlocked.

May 28, 2010 6:55 PM

Nov 2008
I hated this episode.

A lot of the episodes have some deep truth behind them. I can't see any message behind this episode other than "Believe in superstitions." The exchange that Yuko and Watanuki have about how things that are passed down through generations must be valid and true or they wouldn't be passed down, is total crap. There are lots of things that have been passed down (not just including superstitions) that have been totally wrong.

Okay, so they passed down for a couple thousand years that the Earth must be flat. Does that mean there's validity to it? No, it just proves that people make their own conclusions and can be wrong about it.

Even if you do believe in superstition, I don't think any superstitious people think they're better than other people. Yet... the ending... no.
Jun 9, 2010 12:21 PM
Jul 2008
unclesnapple said:

A lot of the episodes have some deep truth behind them. I can't see any message behind this episode other than "Believe in superstitions." The exchange that Yuko and Watanuki have about how things that are passed down through generations must be valid and true or they wouldn't be passed down, is total crap. There are lots of things that have been passed down (not just including superstitions) that have been totally wrong.

Okay, so they passed down for a couple thousand years that the Earth must be flat. Does that mean there's validity to it? No, it just proves that people make their own conclusions and can be wrong about it.

I actually thought the same thing at first and my post could have been quite similar to yours. However, as is my policy, I waited for a day before writing and my post turned out to be much less angry than I had feared. :P
I agree that a great amount of superstitions are total drivel and should not be given a moment's thought other than to dismiss them utterly. There are, however, a few that warn about actual danger in an undirect manner (see my post for example of ladder). I think the episode was probably trying to show that one should take a second to think about the origin of a superstition so as to find out whether a real danger may be avoided. Once again , as I said in my first post, one can give superstitions power simply by believing in them in a sort of placebo affect. So beware of superstitions, they are bad for your mental health! :P
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Sep 12, 2010 4:00 AM
Sep 2009
Poor Yuko and Mokona, they were so hungry, how could Watanuki be so egoistical? And i wonder what Yuko ate before she met Watanuki? Doumeki goes too far in this episode: break into Watanuki's flat and read his manga forward — what a tactlessness!
Mar 19, 2011 6:06 AM

Sep 2008
Trojun said:
A little disappointed with it but it was ok.

Same here. I liked the episode, however... I felt like something more could have been added or something. Not sure why I found this one less entertaining, despite all the strange suspicions. And Doumeki's a little creepy, what with his ability to just appear randomly in Watanuki's apartment or even enter when he's not wanted. (So either Watanuki is really, really tuned out when he reads manga, or Doumeki is a ninja.)

lotrus28 said:
I wonder what Yuko ate before she met Watanuki?

I was wondering this myself! And she must have an incredible metabolism, being able to lie around and not exercise but still not gain any weight despite all the sake she drinks and fancy meals she eats. XD
Aug 26, 2011 10:56 AM
Oct 2010
I slept halfway through...
Dec 19, 2011 10:06 PM

Mar 2010
Another great episode. I loved the insight on how superstitions can play just as much an important role in life as realistic ideals can. This series definitely makes the word ''originality'' have new depth to it. Looking forward to the next!
Apr 13, 2012 5:29 PM

May 2009
Aniki1990 said:
Ok, so Doumeki has upgraded to breaking (so to speak) into Watanuki's house... lovely.

He is really freaking me out.
Oct 23, 2012 6:34 AM

May 2012
Didn't really liked this episode... Oh well lets see what the last 3 will give us!
Mar 25, 2013 6:35 AM

Sep 2011
Haha keeps getting better and better!
Dec 8, 2013 9:08 AM

Apr 2013
How will the Yuuko lived without Watanuki.
Apr 20, 2015 4:31 AM

Jun 2012
Aah! I always cut my nails at night :O Seeing what was about to happen to Watanuki, I am scared, I admit. Good episode.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Aug 22, 2015 3:49 PM

May 2009
In which Yuuko sets up a death trap for Watanuko to proove that people, in fact, can turn into cows.
Nov 21, 2015 11:28 AM

Sep 2014
Umm... A Decent Episode, previously one was much Better.
Jan 5, 2017 6:49 PM

May 2013
LOL @ Watanuki's "No!" xDD
Mar 30, 2017 6:06 AM

Feb 2015
I'm pretty sure Doumeki has a key to Watanuki's apartment, or Watanuki doesn't lock his door/ windows. x'D That last "No!!!" cracked me up.

Not my favorite episode but still really funny. Watanuki can't say no to food. Even though Doumeki ended up doing it the way he wanted.
"Oh, I wasn't trying to be funny.. I would've put a 'Haha' at the end of it."

Aug 31, 2019 5:51 PM

Jul 2016
Such an interesting relationship these two characters. Yuuko has her finger on everyone :)

Really loved this ep!

Cow transformation FTW!

Stupid Doumeki. He needs his butt kicked.
Jul 24, 2020 3:09 PM

Mar 2020
i’m cutting my nails tonight, wish me luck boys.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Oct 5, 2021 3:54 PM

Mar 2010
Ah right I need to brush up on them sayings, or superstitions. I feel like they are vast and endless tho lolz. Damn Wish I could be yuko's slave.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 15, 2022 7:22 AM
Dec 2015
Doumeki always popping in cracks me up xD
Apr 18, 2023 2:13 AM

Dec 2013
I like this episode as well. I haven't watch much anime that discuss superstitions so this is really interesting. Doumeki keep popping in lmao

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 15, 2023 2:42 AM
Aug 2022
Shinpachi dumfuck, you have the chillest friend, why cant you get along
May 18, 7:56 PM
Oct 2022
It’s bad luck to put on new shoes at night . He doesn’t believe in stuff like that. He could have asked a little bit nicer. This guy is cringe. It’s fun to believe in it if it’s a positive thing. I think he is turning into a cow because he lied down after eating???? if there is no truth to it why has it been passed down for so many generations? A suspiciously convenient nail clipper. The darkness is encroaching. The spiritual slicing of a flower from its stem. A spirit that has haunted mankind for generations. Sometimes humans are forced to encounter the unseen world and will try to explain it. Shall we cast the spell to remove you from superstition? Fear fear go away come again anouther day. It didn’t matter that he honored all of the suspicions they still died. So he stopped believing. To live blindly and shut out, the vastness of existence would be a waste. He doesn’t have much reason not to believe. She had the last volume all along. He doesn’t mind believing in them as long as they’re good ones. 3

More topics from this board

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Apr 12, 2008

55 by RGreatDanton »»
May 19, 3:58 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 2 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 11, 2008

38 by RGreatDanton »»
May 19, 3:46 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 1 Discussion

Trojun - Apr 9, 2008

48 by RGreatDanton »»
May 19, 8:35 AM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlueYoshi - Mar 30, 2008

59 by TheVistrian »»
May 18, 11:04 PM

Poll: » xxxHOLiC Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BlueYoshi - Mar 29, 2008

50 by TheVistrian »»
May 18, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.