Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2009 1:48 PM
Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, this ending episode was simply stunning. I would never had imagined that this series would finish as it finishes, it's simply unbelievable, even for an Oshii work. The final musical piece by Kenji Kawai was just fantastic and the combination of the yellow zeppelin and snowy background (makes ou remember the best Oshii film, Patlabor 2, doesn't it?) felt so desperate and emphasized the emptiness of the hero even more. Well, I guess that's what we call a dramatic comedy.

Great series, absolutely unique, much more complex and experimental than most Oshii works (except the three live-action movies he created between 1987 and 1991 and Tenshi no Tamago), with strange comedy elements, a very theatral script and great tragi-comic characters. Extremely difficult to grasp for one that does not know Oshii's filmography perfectly though. 9/10

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 11, 2010 5:50 AM
Jul 2009
I have to admit that this series is one of the most unique experiences I've ever had. Kinda reminded me "The Cherry Orchard" by Chekhov because of the way how comedy developed into the drama.
Aug 27, 2011 9:49 AM

Apr 2009
One word: Boring
Feb 21, 2012 7:43 AM

Feb 2010
I can't help but think about Oshii's movies I saw, peculiarly Red Glasses come to mind with regard to this episode. As with his movies, I can't say that I love them or realy like them, but I find something engaging in his storitelling, something charming. That he has Kenji Kawai to work the scores is instrumental, of course. They make great team. Oshii's anime I like better than his movies.
I enjoyed Oshii's narrative, which in this case is spoken outright by characters rather than shown. I'm sure I didn't get most of the cultural reference but nevertheless it was impressive. And the drama. Even show being a drama in theatrical sense, and obviously absurdish and humorous more than a little, it still leaves an impression of something meaningful and personal, if not in terms of a story but in ways it's told, in signs along the way, off things characters say. I wonder, what's with the soba shops for Mamoru Oshii, I find them most humorous part in his works. I wasn't fatigued at all by amount of speaking characters do, often in monologue, but rather enjoyed it. Very artistic. This show turned out to be unusual in a way that is enjoyable and rare.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
Feb 9, 2013 5:55 AM

Mar 2009
Renato said:
One word: Boring

think this is really funny and smallminded from someone with a lain (one of my favourite shows) avi haha

on the whole episode 6 underwhelmed and disappointed me compared to episode 5, but it certainly serves the purpose of shedding a new light on the series, devoid of the postmodern winks to the audience that allows episodes 1-5 to function as a(n albeit very, very dry) comedy.
Nov 16, 2013 8:52 PM

May 2010
Maybe he was saying that just this episode was boring? I might be inclined to agree then. Great ending with chasing after the blimp, but otherwise I'm a bit ambivalent towards this episode.
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 9, 2016 6:42 AM

Apr 2014
I found it.
One of the best anime series.
10/10.
CynthesizerDec 9, 2016 8:58 AM
Dec 11, 2017 8:47 AM

Aug 2016
This was so unique, i loved it!
Definitely needs a rewatch tho, since there was so much dialogue i'm sure that i missed a thing or two.
Apr 13, 2019 4:35 AM

Mar 2012
Whether you enjoyed this last episode or not, you have to admit that this anime is what we call “deeply unique/personal”. We have seen too many times this time travel thing, but in this show everything is completely different. Oshii’s presentation is splendid. Moreover, he gives us an intriguing perspective on the role of family in society.
Damn...this anime is a hidden gem!
May 19, 2020 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
it's really sad :(

This episode was really on a whole another level.. IDK if it' was all an illusion but it all made sense too.. and the way the tone/emotion of the final moments elevate. wow.

Yellow, the color is usually used in literature/movies to denote poverty, loss of sanity, health issues.. and the way Inumaru chases after the yellow air balloon, almost manically in tears and the shot with yellow butterfly positioned in a way that is over his head flying away must mean he lost his mind over Maroko.. could the entire thing about Maroko's arrival be his own illusion or made-up story? I'm not sure.. and it doesn't matter anymore

This anime is just a masterpiece.. I cannot believe how this gem is not even heard of, despite having Mamoru Oshii as the director.. I didn't know about this anime and wouldn't have checked it if it didn't pop up in the youtube recommendations.. for some reason I felt curious and didn't even seriously consider watching it but clicked on the video anyway since it had subtitles.. thought I'd watch it for a couple of minutes but got hooked immediately.

A lot of times while watching this anime, especially in the two final episodes I wished that someone make a movie like this.. it's such a cleverly written script, it's funny, it grabs your attention not only because of the thought-provoking lively dialogues, but also because of the setting - the creative ways the scenes change "move forward".. that theatre-esque setting. It's very meta indeed, and you'll be caught in the loops of that meta-ness :D ..surreal experience watching this wonderfully directed series..

I also loved the whole "what is my role in the story" thing, and, the question of what a family is, what is family, what are blood relationships, are they just words, who writes the story that begins and ends without the knowledge of the self and so on.. Although it's not really a deduction, I feel like this entire story was Inumaru's story in his head - parts of which could be a imaginary dramatized reflection of events in Inumaru's real life.. like, may be in reality the state of affairs in his family was really rocky and perhaps the family had disintegrated and Inumaru's imagination was all of this.. his own reflection where his fantasy, trauma, pain, escape, dreams, hopes, "realities", family, ideas, and so on fuse into one another as he barely 'copes' or deals with real life?

But it could be something more or even be taken at face-value or maybe nothing.. ahhh.. this definitely needs re-watch even if I won't find any answer.

Mamoru has a beautiful mind. Beautiful script. Beautiful direction.. the direction though.. just kill me... the creativity is just :* ..these must be Mamoru's own thoughts, his own thoughts also about cinema or story-telling - I especially felt it come out loud in episode 5. (the bits about audience wanting a beginning, middle, end.. what a simple but clever and extremely engaging surreal way to push the script forward too huh?) ..I still am unable to get over the fusion of traditional Japanese theatre (and modern, and film-making-style) into anime.. just..

Loved the soundtrack.
Loved the art-work/animation.
Loved mother's voice-actor.

Loved this to bits and pieces :*
removed-userMay 19, 2020 12:11 PM
Jan 19, 2022 2:31 PM

Aug 2017
Now I'll be obsessing over the fact that there's probably nothing quite like this anime out there...animated theater. Of course, theatrical elements exist in various works (Eva, Utena, etc), but it's an entire play unfolding in animation. Unlike most people, I didn't watch it for Oshii (though I of course knew about his involvement), but rather for realistic animation/Utsunomiya's designs, and the participating animators. Bringing over the UY cast was a very pleasant surprise.

P.S. Oh, Machiko Washio also played in Red Spectacles, bumping it on my list of prioritized stuff to watch! And in Iwai's film...
St0rmbladeJan 19, 2022 2:35 PM
Mar 19, 2022 2:07 PM
Mar 2019
Maroko Yomota reminds me of a Cuckoo.
Enter the nest and proceed to get rid of everything in it.
Not a fan of Incestuous stuff even if it's just hinted at.
A lot of talking takes the place of any action.
Apr 8, 2022 3:54 PM
Jul 2019
Kinography, literally.

Dec 8, 2022 7:39 AM
Dec 2022
This episode was the best thing I’ve ever watched full stop. I’m talking about cinema from around the world, and all animation, though it’s all my opinion. I just love a tragic ending and this succeeds. I loved all 6 episodes equally but the complete tonal shift caught me off guard, it goes from a weirder version of FLCL or Tatami Galaxy to a weirder version of Texhnolyze just like that.
Mar 19, 2023 10:25 AM

Oct 2010
good show overall but I still don't understand what I was watching, in the end the poor bastard died
6/10
Jun 14, 2023 1:42 AM

Apr 2019
Masterpiece! Possibly the best Oshii anime

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 1 Discussion

Jacut - Jun 4, 2008

22 by removed-user »»
Jun 18, 2021 2:03 PM

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 5 Discussion

Fronzel - Mar 17, 2015

4 by removed-user »»
May 19, 2020 10:53 AM

Poll: » Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! Episode 4 Discussion

Unowen - Mar 22, 2016

2 by removed-user »»
May 19, 2020 9:57 AM

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 3 Discussion

Plate - Sep 7, 2008

4 by removed-user »»
May 18, 2020 4:00 AM

Poll: » Gosenzosama Banbanzai! Episode 2 Discussion

Plate - Jun 11, 2008

3 by removed-user »»
May 18, 2020 2:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.