Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 20, 2014 11:37 AM
Feb 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I stand corrected. Didn't know Sono changed that much. Makes sense though, since Sono or whoever had the idea also expanded greatly on Chazawa's background, making a total victim character out of her. He doesn't smear it into our faces though, the way her character is written in the live-action you actually want her to have her own little world where she could be happy in.
is her reward.

There is none of that in the manga though, here she is just a normal girl infatuated with her boyfriend.
Feb 20, 2014 12:21 PM

Jan 2013
I expected this kind of ending from the beginning but it's still pretty damn sad.
Feb 20, 2014 9:03 PM

Oct 2013
No romanticism, no bullshit, just a bang.

Awesome.
Feb 21, 2014 6:42 AM

Apr 2009
very good ending for it's kind.
i think somehow he achieved his goal.
he killed a "bad guy".
sumida's of course not the exemplary bad person nor does he have ulterior motives, still he himself and his surroundings made him into what he was.
a bad being with a monster within.

no clue how to rate this manga.
Feb 22, 2014 8:49 AM

Jan 2013
Meh..expected much more from the ending.
Feb 22, 2014 10:32 AM

Oct 2008
Yago_ said:
Meh..expected much more from the ending.

me too...
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Feb 23, 2014 1:53 AM
Dec 2008
Pretty much finished the conclusion in a simple manner.
Would have expected this to happen anyway.
Feb 24, 2014 10:01 PM

Feb 2009
I loved that this ending didn't turn into a typical boring sentimental happy ending.

But the cop letting a known murderer have an extra day of freedom under any circumstances is ridiculous.
Feb 25, 2014 10:47 AM

Apr 2009
Iconoclast said:
I loved that this ending didn't turn into a typical boring sentimental happy ending.

But the cop letting a known murderer have an extra day of freedom under any circumstances is ridiculous.

even in this shitty part of japan ?
it's kinda small and rustic.
maybe he is one of those people who still have faith in other humans and humans in general.
you know where i am goin, right ?
Mar 15, 2014 3:04 PM

Mar 2009
I must not be as cynical as I believe myself to be. I didn't even entertain the idea that the manga would actually end this way - abrupt and meaninglessly. But I guess that was the whole point of the manga.

:'(
Jun 8, 2014 8:38 PM

Oct 2011
I thought the ending was perfect. The cop letting him go for a night was a bit weird, though.
I assume that one-eyed monster thing that we saw occasionally throughout the manga was Sumida's "inner demon" or something.
Sep 21, 2014 12:22 PM

Jul 2008
I'm glad Sumida killed himself; anything else would have been too out of character. I'm also glad the ending didn't take a sentimental, let's-turn-this-around route. I prefer the manga in many ways to Sono's adaptation. The officer letting him off for another day was ridiculous, though.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 25, 2014 12:21 AM

Apr 2012
As upsetting as it is, this was the best possible ending. None-the-less, I don't know why he felt the need to atone for killing his deadbeat father in such a way. A prison sentence would have been more than adequate.
Jun 27, 2015 3:49 AM

Dec 2014
The officer letting him off for the night was a bit weird. The ending was great, though. The moment Sumada was offered that gun I had a feeling that'd be the cause of his death.
Jul 11, 2015 7:11 AM

Oct 2009
Great ending, very realistic. If you liked this checked out True Detective Season 1.
Also, as i was reading the last chapter, this song come on next in my playlist.
Goes with it perfectly.

Ólafur Arnalds - Brim
https://youtu.be/cEfLFhWqTLA
Jul 20, 2015 4:11 AM

Aug 2013
fuckzodd said:
very good ending for it's kind.
i think somehow he achieved his goal.
he killed a "bad guy".
sumida's of course not the exemplary bad person nor does he have ulterior motives, still he himself and his surroundings made him into what he was.
a bad being with a monster within.

no clue how to rate this manga.

this so much i don't how to rate it right now after the ending hmm :(

Definitely one of my Favorites right now....that was such a great manga
Aug 17, 2015 4:08 PM
Jan 2014
I liked the overexaggerated expressions in the faces so much. I realized the faces in later chapters were mostly normal compared to before. I think they stopped appearing with Akada.
Dec 15, 2015 6:09 AM

Jun 2015
I expected a cathartic ending :( but oh well, this is much better ending than Ciguatera
Jul 6, 2016 11:27 AM
Oct 2013
ok y'all have to explain it to me,WHO IS THE MONSTER?
Mar 4, 2018 3:26 AM

Dec 2013
Not sure how to feel about Keiko Chazawa honestly. I do want to say that she's a favorite character of mine, but her love for Sumida seemed to be pure infatuation. They are both teenagers so how can they really be sure that they love each other?

From MAL's bio of her:
"Keiko Chazawa is a classmate of Yuuichi Sumida. She harbors a severe crush on Yuuichi. Keiko's home life isn't much better than Yuuichi's. Her mother builds a gallows with a noose in place for Keiko to take her own life. Her mother believes her life would be better off without Keiko.

Under these circumstances, Keiko pays a visit to Yuuichi's home. A group of people are lingering nearby who live in make shift tents on the property. Keiko tries to befriend Yuuichi, but she is berated and even physically assaulted. She doesn't get deterred though and sticks around."

She is an awesome character for sure with all her courage throughout the manga, but her "love" for Sumida is questionable. Perhaps they mention how terrible her home life is and how she feels like she relates to Sumida or feel comfortable around him because he is broken himself too. Anyhow, it sucks that it's not a happy ending but this is better IMO. Really makes the manga more realistic.

This manga reminds me a lot about another manga Tsumi to Batsu: A Falsified Romance that deals with redemption too. I highly reccomend this series if you enjoyed Himizu.
Mar 4, 2020 12:28 AM
Jul 2018
I really enjoyed this manga.. one of the best I have read.

In the initial chapters, I was a bit hesitant to continue reading especially during those panels with the mangaka hopeful guy with huge mouth.. but the series becomes more and more grim and mature I'm glad to have continued.

I felt very sad by the end.. after seeing a glimmer of hope..whyyyyy :(
...some people are just blinded by their own mind that no matter how much love is showered upon them, and no matter how much you want to help and support them, in the end, all you can do is just watch them destroy themselves.. so sad.. I wish that he followed the dream he saw with Chazawa..

I loved Chazawa and Sumida's relationship..

A very realistic story-telling, narration.. I really loved how some panels are drawn in terms of visual narration where things were left to our imagination and rather implied, or the scene of crime or some event is away from our direct view..
Mar 6, 2020 1:24 PM

Aug 2018
wow
I'm speechless and depressed
I stalled this after the first volume for a long time, I picked it up again today and rushed it

wow, depressing, yet beautiful
this was such a fitting ending, anything else wouldn't have been as impactful as this

one of the best manga I've ever read
I will read Furuya's other works
Jun 14, 2020 8:22 AM

Sep 2017
Bittersweet endings in drama/psychological mangas are the best ngl this is a 9/10 I really enjoyed it for what it was.
yikes
Dec 10, 2020 4:51 AM

Mar 2020
From the beginning, I knew this isn't going to end well for the MC, but damn, I hoped I was wrong. He could have a better life, it was just his choice to die
“Life is a constant process of dying.”
Jan 30, 2021 3:20 PM
Oct 2015
I had totally forgotten about the gun, the ending was very welldone in that I almost expected him to have a decent ending. once the page said bang I just sat there for a minute. Quite a sad story but an interesting depiction of tragedy.
Apr 17, 2021 9:24 AM
Aug 2019
This was a good example of Chekhov's gun philosophy being used in a story
Aug 12, 2021 7:16 PM

Apr 2021
I had high hopes for this anime, but it felt like everything up till chapter 23 is completely forgettable. The author threw out of the window every character except for Sumida and Chizawa. The last chapter is great compared to the overall series.
Oct 1, 2021 3:29 PM
Jul 2015
No idea why the score for this manga isn't at least an 8. I really enjoyed it and I think its a hidden gem

Oct 12, 2021 2:04 AM

May 2020
Didn't care for this manga. It was just a collection of bad situations escalating into terrible situations on a whim. I didn't connect with our MC and honestly I still have no idea what exactly this manga was trying to portray.
May 21, 2022 7:11 AM

Dec 2013
Man, I expected the ending but I kind of hoping that there will Sumida will attain deliverance from his sin and thoughts. I enjoyed reading this but I'm having mixed emotions.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Jul 8, 2022 6:16 AM
Dec 2021
great manga, i enjoyed it a lot.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Himizu Chapter 31 Discussion

Zhou - Jul 11, 2013

7 by yxmxdx »»
Aug 17, 2023 6:29 AM

Poll: » Himizu Chapter 29 Discussion

Zhou - Jun 29, 2013

2 by kamikaze_25 »»
Apr 2, 2023 9:24 AM

Poll: » Himizu Chapter 8 Discussion

TheNapalm99 - Jan 3, 2023

0 by TheNapalm99 »»
Jan 3, 2023 5:26 PM

Poll: » Himizu Chapter 6 Discussion

0 by TheNapalm99 »»
Jan 3, 2023 5:16 PM

Poll: » Himizu Chapter 4 Discussion

0 by TheNapalm99 »»
Jan 3, 2023 4:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.