Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kill la Kill
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 5, 2013 8:24 PM

Aug 2013
This is definitely the most polarizing anime of the Fall 2013 season, as tons of people love it yet lots of people dislike it.
Personally, I can see the argument for both sides, as I have neutral feelings towards this show.

I am jealous of the people who are able to mindlessly enjoy this action-packed series, because unfortunately, I can't. Everything is just slightly above average to me as of now.

The over the top ridiculousness matched my expectations, but it bored me. The mindset I went into this show is "correct", so why can't I seem to be absorbed into the action?
I am a fan of action, but in this anime, I don't find it very interesting. I guess I will have to keep watching this, because everyone else is apparently doing so.

Can anyone offer insight on why certain people like me just can't enjoy what many people call a masterpiece?
Oct 5, 2013 8:25 PM

Apr 2013
same for me except it's the art style and some of the voice actors
Oct 5, 2013 8:27 PM

Aug 2012
Don't.

Be a smart man and analyze the shit out of it.

Because it might actually suck, and you don't know it yet.
Oct 5, 2013 8:29 PM

Dec 2010
You should always, always, always try to judge a show based off of what the show itself is trying to achieve. Judging it based off what you WANT it to achieve is a hilariously bad way to review.

Even with that advise, it's not like everybody likes the same things, and frankly, most of the people calling it a masterpiece after 1 episode are simply overhyping the show for hype purposes.
Oct 5, 2013 8:36 PM

Apr 2009
you don't have to turn your brain off, that's just a saying people use to describe enjoying this type of show that clearly doesn't follow the physics of our world. Don't look at it as shutting your brain off, think of it as zoning into this fictional universes own set of rules and logic. Once you do that you'll be able to appreciate it for what it is.

For example one piece is a show about a boy who eats a fruit that grants him the powers to stretch his body in impossible ways. That, and the fact that in our universe he and many other characters would have died several times over, may make it seem like you have to turn your brain off to appreciate it. But really that's just how the universe of one piece works, and it stays consistent.

I don't doubt the fine folks at Trigger will flesh out this zany world that they've created.
Oct 5, 2013 8:38 PM

Aug 2012
WyattEarp said:
you don't have to turn your brain off, that's just a saying people use to describe enjoying this type of show that clearly doesn't follow the physics of our world. Don't look at it as shutting your brain off, think of it as zoning into this fictional universes own set of rules and logic. Once you do that you'll be able to appreciate it for what it is.

For example one piece is a show about a boy who eats a fruit that grants him the powers to stretch his body in impossible ways. That, and the fact that in our universe he and many other characters would have died several times over, may make it seem like you have to turn your brain off to appreciate it. But really that's just how the universe of one piece works, and it stays consistent.

I don't doubt the fine folks at Trigger will flesh out this zany world that they've created.
In short, use your suspension of disbelief.
Oct 5, 2013 8:51 PM

Apr 2013
marathon inferno cop, then go back to kill la kill.
Oct 5, 2013 9:03 PM

Jul 2012
Most people that are shouting anime is saved and stuff like that are just really into all the action and intensity the episode created. You are not which is perfectly fine. Just keep watching and see if you like it, if you don't then that's okay. Just don't being of those hipsters calling this the worst shit ever.
Oct 5, 2013 9:06 PM

Sep 2012
This show is just gonna be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Now with uniforms instead of mechs and a main girl with smaller boobs.
Oct 5, 2013 9:43 PM

Apr 2009
In short, use your suspension of disbelief.

exactly. Read that article.
Oct 5, 2013 9:47 PM

Dec 2012
Thread Clean.

Some chatting comments removed. Keep it on-topic guys.
Oct 5, 2013 9:50 PM

Apr 2013
How about smashing your face into a concrete wall repeatedly?
an egomaniac and a fool

Oct 5, 2013 9:52 PM
Jul 2012
"Turning your brain off" is a very faulty statement, no matter the type of show, there's always something to talk about, and that requires thought. In the end it's not about shows that force you to think or not, but shows that require a different mindset from others.

Basically, think outside the box. I didn't like FLCL at first because I analyzed it too rationally, couldn't really value it's merits, knew what the series was supposed to be about but I end up not really seeing it/caring about that while watching. I loved it when rewatched because I took a different approach, I just enjoyed the ride and didn't take certain elements of the story too much at face value, and the meanings came into my mind themselves. Don't focus on questioning what the anime is about and such while watching: anime is art after all, the director is the artist, you have to interpretate yourself what means whatever weird-looking thing you see in a show rather than quickly closing your mind.

Kill la Kill, similarly to shows made by the same staff, is an over the top fast paced action show with many "weird" aspects, but that's also the show's biggest strength since while it may seem "random", there's actually somekind of reason behind every detail. A lot of them are very clever references that make the viewer feel more involved.
Oct 6, 2013 5:18 AM

Sep 2013
There is no need to struggle to like the show. If you can't enjoy the outrageous art style and juvenile humor, it just means the show isn't targeted to you. Find something more up your alley. I immensely disliked Blade Runner, for example, despite it being a 'classic', but I won't lose any sleep over it.
Oct 6, 2013 5:24 AM

Mar 2013
Your brain is a necessity in life.

I dont think turning it off would be healthy for you.
Happy Halloween
Oct 6, 2013 5:26 AM

Apr 2012
StevenHu said:
Can anyone offer insight on why certain people like me just can't enjoy what many people call a masterpiece?
You haven't seen anything previously made by the creators, namely Dead Leaves, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann series and movies, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. You should also see Little Witch Academia which demonstrates what Trigger is capable of, and FLCL that will help you get used to the fast-paced anime. With no point of comparison it's normal to be at loss at first.
EratiKOct 6, 2013 5:37 AM
Oct 6, 2013 5:31 AM
Oct 2011
Watch Inferno Cop 5 times, or until you enjoy the shit out of it, then start Kill la Kill. It should work.
Here's a link (turn on captions for subs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy0E-1MD0bw&list=PL8Vd-cvqk4GtPGk2K8yfiEcWxy6nt3VZY
Candor123Oct 6, 2013 5:35 AM
Oct 6, 2013 5:35 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Chop your head off completely. Your brain would follow by default.

well anyways, the subject known as opinions is a nigh-impossible thing to attempy to rationally understand in the first place
Oct 6, 2013 7:50 AM

Jul 2013
Sourire said:

I did this, Kill La Kill felt like inferno cop but with different art.
Oct 6, 2013 8:18 AM

Apr 2013
BBQ_Chicken said:
Sourire said:

I did this, Kill La Kill felt like inferno cop but with different art.
that means you're doing it right!
Oct 6, 2013 10:47 AM
Jun 2013
StevenHu said:

Masterpiece is a strong word. Typically a work is considered a masterpiece when an overwhelming amount of critics and viewers judge it to be so. That isn't the case here, so don't worry about not enjoying a proposed, and prematurely determined, "masterpiece".

As for why you can't enjoy it, I think you have the same issue I do, you're expectations aren't in line with the show's direction, at least so far, and you've read some very good things about it. Go into the show as neutral as possible, so you won't get disappointed and before looking for all the bad things, look for the good ones. If you really, really can't find anything you enjoy, then you're just outside of the targeted niche and once you realize that, don't bother trying to enjoy it. It's likely not your cup of tea.

Lastly, don't conclude whether or not it's enjoyable based off one episode. See a couple more, you may learn to love it along the way.
Oct 6, 2013 2:05 PM

Oct 2011
I will never understand why people transform watching anime into a chore that has to be endured somehow.
Kyon-kun, denwa
Oct 6, 2013 2:44 PM

Oct 2013
StevenHu said:

To be fair the anime only has 1 episode so far, so no one can judge on whether or not it is a master piece.

Maybe after seeing a couple more episodes you'll be able to determine if you are into the series or if it just doesn't meet your expectations.

At the end of the day it's entertainment, if whatever series your watching doesn't entertain you, there's no way to really force it. How much you enjoy a series is subjective to your preferences.
Oct 7, 2013 4:00 AM

May 2011
well, i don't like this kinds of anime, actualy i hate it the most, there's no a certain plot or a story line, there's no meaning in watching it, i wonder why people keep talking about it like that,
Oct 7, 2013 4:02 AM

Jul 2008
I don't watch a lot of anime series with this style but I'm pretty flexible, I actually enjoyed this show :)
Oct 9, 2013 2:17 AM

Jul 2013
StevenHu said:
I guess I will have to keep watching this, because everyone else is apparently doing so.

Legit.

Opinions differ on everything, because they are personal opinions.
One day we will come upon each other, and for that day my claws, teeth, ears, hands and hair are at the ready.
Oct 9, 2013 5:21 PM

Dec 2012
Nariox said:
I will never understand why people transform watching anime into a chore that has to be endured somehow.

Quoted for fucking truth.

Now.

Don't turn your brain off. If your brain's off, Hiroyuki Imaishi's stuff is going to go right over your head. No one who liked Gurren Lagann had their brain off - we were focused, we were loving it, we were in it, we were taking it seriously.

That's how you enjoy Kill la Kill.
Oct 9, 2013 7:13 PM

Sep 2013
Legendre said:
You should always, always, always try to judge a show based off of what the show itself is trying to achieve. Judging it based off what you WANT it to achieve is a hilariously bad way to review.

Even with that advise, it's not like everybody likes the same things, and frankly, most of the people calling it a masterpiece after 1 episode are simply overhyping the show for hype purposes.

Entirely wrong. I can see that you haven't paid much attention in your literature classes. What the author meant to say is irrelevant before what emotions or thoughts are triggered in the receiver. If the reader(in this case viewer) doesn't get the message, then the author has done a terrible job.
Oct 9, 2013 8:00 PM

Jan 2013
Satan-sama said:
well, i don't like this kinds of anime, actualy i hate it the most, there's no a certain plot or a story line, there's no meaning in watching it, i wonder why people keep talking about it like that,
I see.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 9, 2013 8:05 PM

Nov 2010
Satan-sama said:
A story about a girl wanting to find the person who murdered her father is not a story to you? The reason the uniform was down underneath her house or why the teacher knew it was there is not part of the story to you? The relationship between the school president and the person with the other part of the scissors? What's the scissors true powers? What really are the uniforms?

It's been one episode and you think you know everything about the story.
Oct 9, 2013 8:08 PM

Jun 2012
Stop taking anime so seriously you loser.
Oct 9, 2013 8:18 PM

Dec 2012
Shuhan said:
Stop taking anime so seriously you loser.

Seriously they're just chinese cartoons anyway.

Oct 10, 2013 2:39 PM
Oct 2013
i don't know man, i usually dislike action animes but i think this is a masterpiece. it has everything: great fights, awesome direction, awesome art, well crafted jokes (especially visual jokes), an insane attention to detail. my guess is that you are watching it when you are too fresh and rested, and your brain is looking for something more demanding (or at least with a real plot lol)
Oct 10, 2013 3:36 PM

Apr 2012
You've came this far in watching anime. Your brain should already be off.
Oct 10, 2013 3:51 PM

Jul 2013
I'm enjoying it a lot. I see it as an over-the-top parody of anime in general. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a deconstruction, it just takes common anime tropes and plays them up to absurd, hilarious extremes. Overpowered student council? This one rules over a quarter of Japan. Mysterious transfer student? There's still some mystery, but she announces her intentions almost immediately. Fanservice? Dialed up to 11, beyond outrageous, and not the least bit 'moe'. And the pacing, it's so energetic. The episode just flies by.

The fanservice in anime always tends to bother me, but I guess I have to get used to that outfit. I'm hoping there's some mid-season uniform upgrade that's a little less ridiculous. That's about my only complaint.
"straight cash, homie."
Oct 10, 2013 4:02 PM

Mar 2011
The first half of episode 1 was enjoyable for me, the second part was bad in my opinion

I disliked almost everything in episode 2, I was about to post some of my reactions of the episode in the " Kill la Kill Episode 2 Discussion" thread, but in the end I didnt do it to avoid getting flamed.
Oct 10, 2013 4:03 PM

Aug 2013
Have a shot or smoke some bud.
Oct 10, 2013 4:52 PM
Jul 2009
find someone to watch it with you and scream "HOLY SHIT YEAAAHHHH" every time something happens
it's the best and only way to go
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Oct 10, 2013 4:58 PM

Aug 2013
bbBM said:
find someone to watch it with you and scream "HOLY SHIT YEAAAHHHH" every time something happens
If it's the best than doesn't that imply other methods?
Oct 10, 2013 5:16 PM
Jul 2009
Aerea said:
bbBM said:
If it's the best than doesn't that imply other methods?

i'm kicking reason to the curb on this one
FMA:B OUTDATED noot KIMI NO NA WA OVERRATED noot LONG HAVE WE WAITED noot PINGU IN THE CITY WAS CREATED noot
Oct 10, 2013 6:49 PM

Feb 2011
Its like a sugar rush x10. Well..... it could just be adrenaline and testosterone. Action + Skimpy wearing girls = mindless fun : ). Concentrate real hard lol
Oct 11, 2013 5:11 AM

Jul 2011
breathe deeply and relax

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

BRSxIgnition - Mar 27, 2014

961 by DonDoji »»
Sep 16, 1:51 AM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2013

225 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Aug 21, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2013

190 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Aug 21, 12:44 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2013

214 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Aug 20, 1:13 PM

Poll: » Kill la Kill Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2013

338 by SuperJohnDoe »»
Aug 20, 12:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.