Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jan 16, 2018 8:57 AM

May 2016
That was pretty good but it was almost obvious that she would die. 7/10
Jan 29, 2018 9:34 PM

Jan 2017
The power of love was a fantasy element in this story.
And still, Bill will live on.
He will befriend the next inhabitants of the earth, beings of light who revere him as a god.
And Bill will outlive them all... for millions and millions of years...exploring, learning, living,
until the earth is swallowed beneath his feet.
Until the sun is long since gone.
Until time loses all meaning and the moment comes that he knows only the positions of the stars
and sees them whether his eyes are closed or open.
Until he forgets his name and the place where he'd once come from.
He lives and he lives until all of the lights go out.
Aug 31, 2018 1:56 PM
Jul 2018
Great adaptation, really liked how they introduced chapter 95 contents to give a more suitable buildup to Kenshin's character. Only change which I feel could have been better is how they portrayed Kenshin's character, quite a few moments where his soft side was shown was omitted/lost in transition. The changes at the end were wonderful though, how Tomoe herself gave the cross shaped scar, or how Kenshin came to know about her journal before her death. Soundtrack was beatiful while complementing the atmosphere really well and the animation was superb(not much censoring was also great), guess that's what happens with the freedom of not being a tv series.
Overall one of the most stunning and powerful pieces of work in anime medium I have seen.
Sep 29, 2018 5:20 AM

Feb 2018
This is a work of art. The amazing music, the emotional plot, the relatable characters - it doesn't have anything missing.
Oct 19, 2018 3:09 AM

Mar 2018
Way way way better than the actual anime. Nice backstory for Kenshin. Was actually a 6-7/10 before Ep.4. A solid 8/10 after I finished it. Now I feel happy that
TruceeOct 19, 2018 3:16 AM
Oct 22, 2018 9:33 PM

Jun 2016
EPIC EPIC EPIC!! I will miss this guy.
Nov 8, 2018 8:39 AM
Jul 2018
Easily the best episode. I wish the others were closer to this level.
Nov 17, 2018 1:52 AM

Jul 2017
I liked this. It was good. I was also underwhelmed based on the hype of so many years. The first episode was great, the middle two were okay, and the last one was pretty good. I feel like Tomoe was portrayed unfairly, basically a "woman in the refrigerator". It was interesting to see Kenshin grow and change, though, and the art and animation were top notch.
Dec 18, 2018 3:32 PM

Oct 2012
Raizel said:
That was pretty good but it was almost obvious that she would die. 7/10

Yeah honestly they should change the cover, I figured it out from that alone. It was also pretty obvious who the spys were the whole time, or at least it was to me.

Also i haven't seen the series really, I feel like I was missing some stuff because of that.

I did think it was really cool though, great directing. 7/10 for me as well, and 7 is a pretty high score for me.
Dec 18, 2018 7:13 PM

Dec 2015
@simonephone I know that in this day and era of the Internet, the stupid electronic legend of the "spoiler" is strong but not every preemptively known information can be labelled as a spoil. This is an "origin story" celebrating the manga's success and adapting the middle section of it, even if it is a great self-contained story, you are supposedly bound to already know that the woman is not around anymore during the Meiji Era.

Note: if you want to see more of it, the TV series tone could be jarring compared
to this work (but another OAV pack used the same kind of artistic direction to produce an original epilogue)

AniMEHLover said:
Now I feel happy that Kenshin didnt end up with Kaoru

Wait, what?! Once Kenshin's redemption path is closed, he goes back to Kaworu,
How is that not ending up together??

@youthful Where was the sin in the fact this false relationship became "real"? Is it because one was the murderer of the other's lover?

November 10, 2019
@Mizu Wait, what's this "director's cut"?
Rei_IIINov 10, 2019 5:46 PM
Dec 18, 2018 7:31 PM

Oct 2012
Rei366 said:
@simonephone I know that in this day and era of the Internet, the stupid electronic legend of the "spoiler" is strong but not every preemptively known information can be labelled as a spoil. This is an "origin story" celebrating the manga's success and adapting the middle section of it, even if it is a great self-contained story, you are supposedly bound to already know that the woman is not around anymore during the Meiji Era.

oh true, okay fair enough. well, still thought the spy stuff was kind of predictable. they really needed like a red herring.
Dec 18, 2018 11:57 PM

Mar 2018
Rei366 said:

Note: if you want to see more of it, the TV series tone could be jarring compared
to this work (but another OAV pack used the same kind of artistic direction to produce an original epilogue)

AniMEHLover said:
Now I feel happy that Kenshin didnt end up with Kaoru

Wait, what?! Once Kenshin's redemption path is closed, he goes back to Kaworu,
How is that not ending up together??

Havent read the manga at that point.
Jan 1, 2019 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
Just... terrible. Especially the "romance" between Kenshin and Tomoe. They were both a disgrace, disgusting and sinful to fall for each other. I couldn't stand them throughout.
Jan 2, 2019 8:33 AM
Jul 2018
Rei366 said:
@youthful Where was the sin in the fact this false relationship became "real"? Is it because one was the murderer of the other's lover?

Exactly. Falling in love with the murderer of her fiance... That's sick.
Jan 15, 2019 6:37 AM

Oct 2013
So dark, i loved it.. nice background story, really amazing how they showed drastic character development in just 4 episodes.

10/10
Aug 4, 2019 3:38 PM
Sep 2017
I found this to be so beautiful and sad. Art, animation, characters, OST, story, everything was simply gorgeous. To see so many things that were hinted at in the main Rurouni Kenshin series fleshed out and brought to life was awesome.
Sep 30, 2019 1:09 AM
Jun 2014
I can see why there are people who have a few problems with the way the finale played out. Since this is going for a very serious tone, there's an expectation that the characters would properly think out their actions. In this case, Tomoe would be more likely to ask Kenshin for help than to be naive enough to ask this murder crew to leave him alone. Or she would have much more trouble dealing with falling in love with the man who murdered her fiance. Its also hard to think of the logistics behind Tomoe getting in between Kenshin's attack without him noticing. However, at the end of the day this is a Rurouni Kenshin story and in Rurouni Kenshin plenty of ridiculous things happen (eg. the end of the Kyoto arc with Shishio). I think if they tweaked the way the final showdown played out, like having the bad guys ambush Kenshin's house as Tomoe tries to warn him/beg for forgiveness for betraying him, then have her die in the resulting battle, then it would fit the serious tone. Still, I think this was a great OVA series.
Nov 10, 2019 11:30 AM

Jul 2007
myronator said:
I can see why there are people who have a few problems with the way the finale played out. Since this is going for a very serious tone, there's an expectation that the characters would properly think out their actions. In this case, Tomoe would be more likely to ask Kenshin for help than to be naive enough to ask this murder crew to leave him alone. Or she would have much more trouble dealing with falling in love with the man who murdered her fiance. Its also hard to think of the logistics behind Tomoe getting in between Kenshin's attack without him noticing. However, at the end of the day this is a Rurouni Kenshin story and in Rurouni Kenshin plenty of ridiculous things happen (eg. the end of the Kyoto arc with Shishio). I think if they tweaked the way the final showdown played out, like having the bad guys ambush Kenshin's house as Tomoe tries to warn him/beg for forgiveness for betraying him, then have her die in the resulting battle, then it would fit the serious tone. Still, I think this was a great OVA series.

I considered the possibility of her asking for his help and forgiveness as well, but look at what it took for her to let her guard down and admit that her fiance was murdered and that her distress led her to Kyoto. She couldn't even be completely honest then, the night before Kenshin was to be ambushed. She felt an insurmountable level of guilt, watching Kenshin sleep soundly in their futon that they shared for what was suggested to be the first and only time. Her confronting the Shogunate official by herself was probably her means of taking responsibility, no matter how naive it appears to us viewers.

It is made clear many times how vulnerable Tomoe is, so it was unsurprising for her to fall in love with Kenshin and his unexpectedly gentle nature. She did have deep conflict over her love; why else would she hallucinate Kiyosato's bloody body in front of her as she was in despair over Kenshin fighting outside? Listening to the Shogunate official chastise her was obviously painful. She knew he had a point, that she looked like a hypocrite, and I'm sure this led to deep shame; she wanted to bite off her own tongue, after all.

Both Kenshin's hearing and vision were greatly impaired. His reaction time, which was normally impeccable in comparison to all of his peers, was also greatly reduced with his numerous injuries. If I remember correctly from the manga, the arrow that hit him in the beginning also poisoned him. He was in horrible shape, his mind in total disarray. I think he was giving 100% to attempting to land a single blow and didn't notice due to these factors combined. I'm not gonna say it's totally understandable, but this being anime and Kenshin probably being the closest to death he had been thus far is what has let me give that part of everything a pass.

Lastly, I think the final showdown was planned out and as dramatic as it was for a few reasons. First, this was a revenge plot, and vengeance is a strong theme in this OVA with Kenshin's scar constantly bleeding. Kenshin is public enemy no. 1 for the shogunate, with only Shishio being a true peer of his. With so many people having an investment in murdering Kenshin, it makes sense why so many men were involved in setting up this plot and numerous tactics being used to injure Kenshin and hamper his abilities as much as possible. The drawn out nature of the battle makes Kenshin's devotion to Tomoe clear, in addition to proving how his past would continually catch up to him and cause him a large amount of pain in the future.

Sorry that this is so long, I've watched the OVA director's cut several times lately and have mused over many of the points you have expressed here, so these are my 2 cents after thinking things over.
MizuNov 10, 2019 11:34 AM
Nov 26, 2019 6:04 PM
Apr 2016
I knew that she will die, but damn, I didn't expect him to accidentally become the killer. That was very tragic.
Dec 17, 2019 2:27 AM

Aug 2018
Damn....I was all upbeat for these holidays and then, came across this tragic anime. Although I did expect this to be good, I could never have even dreamt of it being this powerful and heavily charged. The Character Development and the OST were especially great. I found the 3rd episode to be the best, followed by this last one.
Now I don't think I can handle anything more tragic than this.
Jan 18, 2020 2:41 PM

Jun 2015
Speechless! That's all I have to say. And the music is just so beautiful!
Mar 19, 2020 1:08 PM

Aug 2018
Such a great tragedy.. Characters are written just very.. I just lack words.. They have very much to them.. Himura Kenshin and Yukishiro Tomoe, that is.. I am a bit in a heavy mood, so hard to write.. But.. I think that Kenshin's monologue talk after Tomoe's death summarizes everything perfectly.. (after 19:50) How Tomoe lived.. And what it means to Kenshin in the end.. Kenshin finally found his way in life, and how he wants to live it..
Jul 30, 2020 1:42 AM

Sep 2018
This must have a very niche audience, because it definitely isn't worth an 8.72 rating, jesus. Am I supposed to feel some sort of emotion with that death at the end? I guess if this was your anime and you're noob to this sort of stuff, then maybe, but even then... four episodes is enough to make people cry? Not enough screen time to make me give a shit that much. It was decent, confusing at times, too much of an info dump in a short amount of time. 3rd episode was the best IMO. 7/10
Jul 30, 2020 2:10 AM

Dec 2015
@GakutoDeathGlare It was a video market production, it had to make money. Besides, more OAVs were later produced based on the same shônen manga, proof enough of the successfull sales of this chapter.
I doubt we are supposed to feel some emotion here. We are only shown what the hero went through to become... well, what he became. The death being the final "event" triggering his move to something else. About crying, again, the character being sad isn't begging the public to be sad. I certainly never cried in front of those OAVs, despite having read the character's story.

As for the minimal duration for a fiction to move its consumer, I'm pretty sure it's less than a standard film one (90minutes). But I admit that people around here are prone to claim something made them cry, as little as it is.

Amatniki said:
Really sad episode, but also really good, no, insanely good. Honestly this was so good, and I cant wait to start watching the actual anime.

The series has little to do with that, it takes the manga's tone (and bastardizes its design style, whereas the OAVs had revamped everthing, so the TV series doesn't look at all like the OAVs). Have a good viewing nevertheless.
Rei_IIISep 20, 2021 5:39 AM
Aug 26, 2020 6:40 AM

May 2016
Even though it was inevitable that things would end the way it did with Tomoe dying on Kenshin's arms, I still had a shred of hope that things will somehow work out for them and they'll live happily together right until the bitter end despite knowing that it was never meant to be.

I'll give the powerful soundtrack my praises once again because it amplified the emotional impact at the part where Kenshin felt Tomoe's embrace while he caressed her scarf right up to the ending so much that I can't help but finally tear up over their tragic tale of trust and betrayal.

I don't know when I'll get to watch the longer sequel series but I'll have to say that this was a really damn good prequel.

Aug 28, 2020 2:48 PM
Mar 2018
Depressing as fuck. What makes it even more depressing is how little people actually talk about this masterpiece.
Mar 13, 2021 4:36 AM

Sep 2020
Damn i cried so much,What an ending..... It deals with twists and the romance on the final fight is way too tear jerking,rest in peace tomoe,you will be forever in our heart.

10/5 every fight is enjoyable and made me cried so much.

May 23, 2021 2:30 AM

Jun 2020
This is absolutely epic. Brought a whole other meaning to the series.
May 27, 2021 5:11 PM

Dec 2019
I prefer the manga. This OVA, though pleasing in its own right with the different tone and presentation, lost most of the charm the remembrance chapters had.

Sep 19, 2021 6:16 AM

Aug 2018
Really sad episode, but also really good, no, insanely good. Honestly this was so good, and I cant wait to start watching the actual anime.

Jan 17, 2022 5:43 PM

Nov 2010
Cameo from Shishio, nice! I still prefer his burned version.

I watched this long ago and I didn't like it as much as Samurai X. I'm glad I rewatched it. I appreciate the slow burn and drama. Also, Kenshin's tragic past is very interesting. 9/10
May 23, 2022 2:23 PM

Oct 2015
I knew a tragic ending was coming, but I didn't think it would hit me this hard. Totally worth it though, I will be watching the main series because I'm hooked on Himura's quest.

8/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 28, 2022 5:00 AM

Dec 2020
I gave it a try on the basis of these praising comments above. Well it didn't do anything for me.

Maybe it's the fact that the show was so predictable and having only drama would put it in the bad side.

Bruh execution, those strobe effect hurts.
Sep 13, 2022 5:27 PM

Mar 2018
Everything felt executed so effortlessly, from the sound, cinematography, story, to the physiological and emotional impacts it provides. Truly a crime having just seen this after all these years but appreciative to have experienced it none the less.
Nov 23, 2022 11:54 PM
May 2022
great eps but still a misatoXkenshin stan
Dec 22, 2022 2:11 PM

Dec 2018
that last scene had me balling like a little baby. i wish the original series hadn't been so goofy and finished off better than with that stupid arc that was like a 1/5.
Dec 23, 2022 1:24 AM

Jan 2017
StateofOhayo said:
i wish the original series hadn't been so goofy and finished off better than with that stupid arc that was like a 1/5.

In case you don't know , after Episode 62 everything is filler.
And they were so bad/boring that they got the series cancelled before it could adapt the final Arc. (Which contained Tsuioku-hen as a flashback at the beginning of it)
Seisou-hen made an Anime Original Ending by selecting a few elements of it.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 4, 2023 8:05 PM
Apr 2022
previously i gave it 9 having last watched in 2003 or 4. rewatching in 2023 it’s a solid 10
Jul 8, 2023 8:14 AM
May 2021
So that's how he got his X scar. Felt sad for him man
Jan 18, 4:21 PM

Jul 2017
An excellent and emotionally grabbing episode to conclude this arc. Rewatching this, I loved it even more than I did the first time. The song used at the end was so great too, think Trust and Betrayal's soundtrack is exceptional too. I love the ambiguity in certain scenes and subtlety that was handled with the dialogue in general, especially during the more heartbreaking scenes by laying off the exposition. The quietness in some of those moments made it more impactful for me too and honestly, is something that a lot of anime could have learned from. Some elements of Kenshin as a battle shounen in general are kind of relics from the past but this particular arc was outstanding and has aged even better I think with time.
Apr 11, 9:47 PM

Dec 2015
First rewatch after years, still a timeless masterpiece and one of the best OVA ever.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 17, 2008

57 by catmancatplan »»
Apr 16, 5:23 PM

» Can I finally watch this after seeing the 2023 remake or I have to still see the Kyoto arc?

Cestlavie_ - Dec 16, 2023

13 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 17, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 2, 2008

75 by RFXs »»
Feb 9, 7:57 AM

» Similar tragic romance

yoru987 - Aug 13, 2023

5 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:20 AM

» The new pic sucks, please change it back

KingRequiem - Aug 4, 2019

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 12, 2023 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.