Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2010 4:28 AM

Jun 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Year 2080, finally they've arrive at Jupiter
Hachimaki delivers his speech after arriving at Jupiter, and satisfied with what he has now

*I learned that I could't stop loving people*

P.S What a nice ending and still a lot to show but I think this is the end of Planetes, I hope to see part 2 or even one-shot manga that he returned and meet with his old crew

and a bit of the future article
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Feb 8, 2011 11:38 PM

Aug 2010
We are in space so don't stop loving it and the advantages it gives us!!
Oct 23, 2011 2:39 PM
Jul 2018
Really good ending. Surprised at just how different the manga and anime are.
Oct 29, 2011 1:53 PM

Aug 2011
this final chapter made me contemplate becoming a christian again but then i had to stop myself and realize that this is a work of fiction. this is probably the most realistic manga i have ever read i just wish Yukimura made just one more chapter.
"Throw away your logic and kick reason to the curb! Beautifully following the golden road! If there’s a wall, we knock it down! It’s a road built with these hands! The Magma of the Heart’s Final Ignition! Perfect Unification Gurren-Lagann!"
Aug 1, 2013 12:57 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wow. I just finished this. It's so different from the anime. The manga is much more about asking some of the big questions in life. What are we doing in this world? What do we do with our lives? And to it, Yukimura came up with what is perhaps a predictable yet maybe the only answer and that is to love each other.

Yukimura is one great mangaka. I hope that he writes many more great stories like this one.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 15, 2014 6:24 AM

Dec 2012
Can anyone tell my why it says there 27 chapters of this manga when the story ends here?
Jul 25, 2014 5:25 AM
Jan 2012
Cooltaff12 said:
Can anyone tell my why it says there 27 chapters of this manga when the story ends here?

there is an extra chapter, that was released in volume 3, so maybe that was included in the chapter count
MatijaxDJul 25, 2014 5:32 AM
Nov 15, 2014 10:28 AM

Jan 2013
A different ending. Though I can't say which version was better atm.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Nov 27, 2014 7:04 AM
Apr 2014
I've just finished reading it...

Definitely one of the best manga I've ever read.
Jan 14, 2015 10:45 PM

Oct 2013
Really good
Jun 7, 2015 1:26 AM
Aug 2011
Some great things here, others not so great...

Fee in particular was an awesome character which an intriguing personality and backstory and I like the philosophical questions scattered throughout but I didn't enjoy anything else in this manga past that.
Jan 28, 2017 4:24 PM

Aug 2016
Volume 2 was such a mess man (omnibus) volume one was was great and i will always remember this series because of it, but like seriously, half of volume two couldve been completely removed, i bought it off amazon and caught a glimpse of a review saying "Starts strong, goes out with a whimper" and i was hoping that it just his personal opinion but he was right, still it was worth the read just because of how great volume one was.

8/10
Mar 12, 2017 7:20 AM
Jan 2017
The best episode <3
Sep 4, 2017 7:06 PM

Sep 2012
Man, this blew me away from beginning to end. I can only hope we're competent enough to get there by 2080.

Gurreninja said:
this final chapter made me contemplate becoming a christian again but then i had to stop myself and realize that this is a work of fiction.

That's hilarious xD I def appreciated his inclusion of religion in a story about humans, like
MrLegitimacySep 4, 2017 7:21 PM
Sep 14, 2018 7:08 PM

Aug 2017
I read the last chapter, thinking that there would be a next one, so the ending definitely caught me off guard. The ending was still touching when I had to go back to read it again lol

My favorite part of this was the character development, especially with Hachimaki and Fee, especially considering that this manga was so short.

Props to the book for diversity too (but I suppose it's a given, considering this is a manga about space). It's really nice how a Japanese author touched on discrimination in America, and it would've probably been around the ~2040s (considering fee is about forty at the end of the book?). I'm really glad that he actually acknowledges it and doesn't brush off discrimination as nonexistent after the civil rights era.

I feel like they're going to get stuck inside the Von Braun for more than seven years lol
DessertThiefSep 14, 2018 7:11 PM
-insert wise old moosy adage-
Aug 3, 2019 3:53 PM

Feb 2012
How cool would it have been the hear Louis Armstrong in an anime.
Hachi and Ai both taught each other something. It’s been a really great read. I was annoyed by the fact the earliest chapters didn’t seem to be in order, that being said I really like the chapters where a character’s past contrasts with their present. I like that more characters get focus more than just once or not at all.

So the journey to Jupiter chapters interlaced with what happens when Hachi's away (an actual space war and eccentric crewmember Baron).

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 17, 2020 6:39 PM

Jan 2019
There were a few things that didn't get wrapped up, but overall, this was a good series. Hopefully, the last few pages imply that they will be able to clean up the debris from the war.
Sep 11, 2020 6:55 PM

Jan 2020
Yes...yes! That's what I was searching for! This manga truly is a masterpiece, its depth, ideas, artwork, plot and so on. Loved it
Feb 13, 2021 12:05 AM

May 2020
This was a pretty good manga. One of my favourite aspects of this is how realistic it is. Everything from the characters to the science behind the manga is just realistic. Like this could be a documentary instead of a manga from the early 2000's.

On the other hand, I didn't really care for all the characters. Fee and Yuri were awesome but I didn't really care for Hachimaki. But they were good characters and their journey was well done.

7/10
Apr 8, 2021 3:18 PM

Jan 2021
Different ending?

But this was good. I really loved the art style.

10/10
May 9, 2021 5:39 PM

Mar 2020
Pretty good ending but I think it could have been handled better, especially with how little development the Von Braun voyage ended up getting. Aside from that, this manga is definitely one of my favourites. It has its misses on occasion, but the character development and story progression were really well done. I only wish there was more of it since there wasn't much room for Hachimaki to grow as a character, especially with his romantic interest in Tanabe.

I started reading this manga after I started watching the anime, and I find it funny that all the major gripes I have with the anime aren't even present in the manga. Granted, there were some anime-only episodes I liked such as the one with El Tanika, but I can't comprehend why Sunrise decided to spend more money to make a worse adaptation.
Dec 25, 2021 3:57 AM

Nov 2016
This definitely felt like it wanted to be more thought provoking and down to earth*ba dum tss* compared to the adaptation.

Great read, but I prefer the melodramatic character drama that was the anime. The quirky cast there captured my heart. Although, I gotta love how the manga humanized Locksmith.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 20, 2022 6:56 PM

Jul 2019
A solid 6 out of 10 series. It's really a refreshing manga in a way how it ended.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 15, 2022 8:14 PM

May 2021
Weak manga, there are some plotlines that felt really outside the realm of this work, it tries to convey to many genres at the same time, ending is the usual generic "Power of Love" stuff, actually Locksmith had a more interesting view of everything, I would had been better closing with his thoughts. Hachimaki speech was lame and very self-centered, some resolutions in certain plotlines were laughable, also Yukimura is extremely optimistic about the Space Development, we are already in 2022 and Mars looks still a bit farther than we thought, he definitely overrated development of humankind in the Space and that kills the realism of the manga in certain degree.

I'm worried if some of the procedures here are applied in Vinland Saga, that would be detrimental for VS. Anyways, this manga is a below average 4/10.
Jul 18, 2023 9:35 PM
Mar 2010
-Xenophon- said:
also Yukimura is extremely optimistic about the Space Development, we are already in 2022 and Mars looks still a bit farther than we thought, he definitely overrated development of humankind in the Space and that kills the realism of the manga in certain degree.

Your negative argument is that the author can't accurately predict the future? Lmao. What else? Blade runner and 2001 a Space Odyssey are also bad movies because there are no replicants and no moon bases yet?
Jul 21, 2023 4:23 AM

May 2021
excalibur977436 said:
-Xenophon- said:
also Yukimura is extremely optimistic about the Space Development, we are already in 2022 and Mars looks still a bit farther than we thought, he definitely overrated development of humankind in the Space and that kills the realism of the manga in certain degree.

Your negative argument is that the author can't accurately predict the future? Lmao. What else? Blade runner and 2001 a Space Odyssey are also bad movies because there are no replicants and no moon bases yet?

That was just one of my multiple negative arguments, specially considering that Planetes is sorted as Hyperrealism. Unlike 2001 or Blade Runner which never tried to be realistic in the first place, they both just show a future a that fits with the intentions of the author and the plot, they could be called bad movies for plenty of other reasons but lack of realism will be a mistake since that never were their intentions.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetes Chapter 20 Discussion

Zinvy - Oct 13, 2010

7 by LuffyetWade »»
Jun 17, 4:24 PM

Poll: » Planetes Chapter 1 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Jan 24, 2010

11 by DarkVoyagerx »»
Feb 12, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Planetes Chapter 14 Discussion

HooHiraiBunny - Feb 8, 2010

8 by Anglix »»
Nov 4, 2023 9:15 PM

Poll: » Planetes Chapter 19 Discussion

Zinvy - Oct 13, 2010

8 by excalibur977436 »»
Jul 17, 2023 11:31 AM

Poll: » Planetes Chapter 22 Discussion

Zinvy - Oct 13, 2010

7 by EtherLux »»
Jun 28, 2023 4:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.