Forum Settings
Forums

A-1 pictures is kinda underated and very overhated

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 2, 2023 9:52 AM

Jan 2021
A-1 Pictures is underrated? lol, it is very overrated.
Apr 2, 2023 9:58 AM
作画

Nov 2019
Ri-KoRin said:
nwssx said:
with this you basically proved my point (?), it wasn't founded for Mushoku Tensei

English Wiki:
On January 31, 2021, Egg Firm CEO and Mushoku Tensei chief producer Nobuhiro Osawa stated that he built the new production studio for Mushoku Tensei. In October 2019, production company Egg Firm explained their rationale for setting up a separate studio from the existing White Fox studio, stating they "needed a system that would allow us to move forward with the project in a continuous, long-term, and systematic manner" so they "will be able to concentrate more on the production of Mushoku Tensei." Egg Firm noted that "Studio Bind will use Mushoku Tensei as a launchpad for its full-scale animation production business.

Japanese wiki:
設立の理由には『無職転生 〜異世界行ったら本気だす〜』のアニメ化にあたり、企画を継続的・長期的・計画的に進めていく体制が必要であると判断したことを挙げている。またEGG FIRM代表取締役の大澤信博は、「(スタジオバインドの設立は)うちとWHITE FOXが立てたというよりは、代表取締役の大友寿也さんの独立を2社で後押ししたというのが実態です」と語っている

Translated
The reason for the establishment of Studio Bind was that the company decided that it was necessary to have a system in place for the continuous, long-term, and systematic development of the project for the anime adaptation of "Unemployed Tensei - Isekai Ika ni Toratte de Honkidasu". EGG FIRM Representative Director Nobuhiro Osawa also stated, "The establishment of Studio Bind was not so much the result of a joint effort by our company and WHITE FOX, but rather the result of two companies supporting the independence of Representative Director Hisaya Otomo.

that's what I meant, people were surprised when Onimai was announced because they thought BIND was founded solely to make Mushoku Tensei, but in truth they wanted to start a long-running joint venture that would have had more than the Mushoku Tensei project alone
Apr 2, 2023 10:07 AM

Apr 2016
Merve2Love said:

Not what I was saying. I was saying: Whatever you think about the Show - it looked good.
You saying it was a Turd, but it looked alright is actually you agreeing with me :) We're on the same page, buddy.
That's not what you said, you said " The studio was messing it up? I don't think so." and then you went on to talk about how it looked and production value. I agree with you on the looks but the way you phrased that it reads as though you equate "messing it up" with "the show looking bad or having low production value". You weren't giving me much room for interpretation there. XD

I'm fine with agreeing with you on the looks, everything else about the show was still completely messed up to me though (maybe to you too). :)
Apr 2, 2023 10:33 AM
Apr 2023
oh wow.  They were, but that guy isn't a Trigger employee.
He is just friends with the founder of Trigger because they knew each other when they both worked at Gainax. 
Apr 2, 2023 11:16 AM
Hello Everynyan

May 2022
nwssx said:
Nillwas said:

Dunno where you got this made up info about.
But Studio Bind is a studio created by staff from white fox.

that's what I meant, people were surprised when Onimai was announced because they thought BIND was founded solely to make Mushoku Tensei, but in truth they wanted to start a long-running joint venture that would have had more than the Mushoku Tensei project alone

Arguing on semantics huh, on what "solely" or "just" means under the context of 2023 for something that happened 4 years ago. The Japanese wiki clearly supports what @Nillwas said.

"設立の理由には『無職転生 〜異世界行ったら本気だす〜』のアニメ化にあたり、企画を継続的・長期的・計画的に進めていく体制が必要であると判断したことを挙げている。"

Apr 2, 2023 11:39 AM

Mar 2021
MAXproARYAN said:

Outsourcing isnt a bad thing and still counts as a plus for studios because its their final decision.
Also im not sure but i do think one of the fights in 86 had quite a lot of cgi blended pretty well with 2D.
Not sure tho

86 barely had any cgi mixed with 2d due to the nature of the show. Since it largely mecha spiders fighting. And yes smaller studios like the ones who did the muv luv can do on par if not better.

Outsourcing cgi will always lead to terrible composition. It is primarily used if the models or designs are too complex for handrawn.

So a1 is overall not good with cgi especially in comparison to ufotable or mappa. They would not be able to animate chainsaw man due to how complex the modeling it would be for denji and it mixing 2d and 3d. Chainsaw man is pretty much unadaptable unless you get a studio like mappa. If a1 animated it, it would look as bad as nier.
Apr 2, 2023 11:55 AM

Oct 2018
The real issue with A-1 is that Kaguya-Sama was the only good anime they produced in the last 8 years.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Apr 2, 2023 12:01 PM
Jul 2021
icefirestone23 said:
MAXproARYAN said:

Outsourcing isnt a bad thing and still counts as a plus for studios because its their final decision.
Also im not sure but i do think one of the fights in 86 had quite a lot of cgi blended pretty well with 2D.
Not sure tho

If a1 animated it, it would look as bad as nier.

Once again, Nier has had Amazing animations ever since ep 2, CGI included , and yes i also agree that A-1 's style wouldn't let them animate a anime like csm, but ig we would know better after fate strange fake
Apr 2, 2023 12:03 PM

Jan 2019
not being recognized as a ufotable ,mappa, wit, kyoani tier studio doesn't mean it's underrated. I myself consider A-1 one of the more popular studios because of the sheer number of shows they have made. 86 and Kaguya-sama (also Lycoreco) are definitely very well. It's just that their average tends to be hit-or-miss or below the standards that we think of when we think about any random anime made by one of the four aforementioned studios.

I know quite a lot of my friends including me who were disappointed when we heard Solo Leveling is being made by A-1. Hopefully they will make it their best project yet in terms of animation. Better than what they did with 86.
Apr 2, 2023 12:05 PM
Jul 2018
I think people over hate a1 since they made SAO but the animations on their productions been real nice 
Apr 2, 2023 12:08 PM
作画

Nov 2019
Ri-KoRin said:
nwssx said:

Arguing on semantics huh, on what "solely" or "just" means under the context of 2023 for something that happened 4 years ago. The Japanese wiki clearly supports what @Nillwas said.
what they said on their second post was correct, indeed. Again,
this^ is what I meant

and @Nillwas even mentioned themselves "I don't know if this is 100% correct", I just went and said that Studio BIND is a studio created to last, not a studio that would focus on a single series (Mushoku Tensei) and then cease its existence, THEY founded Studio BIND and had Mushoku Tensei as their first and pilot project that would get a full adaptation, but since the very beginning they had the intention to do more than that, you see what I mean?
Apr 2, 2023 12:13 PM

Apr 2021
Wait, really ? Damn, didn't know that. To me, it's an amazing studio, luv the animation >.<

Apr 2, 2023 2:29 PM

Mar 2021
MAXproARYAN said:
Once again, Nier has had Amazing animations ever since ep 2, CGI included , and yes i also agree that A-1 's style wouldn't let them animate a anime like csm, but ig we would know better after fate strange fake
Nier has been pretty average ever since episode 1. No big instances of Sakuga.

_ATG_ said:
not being recognized as a ufotable ,mappa, wit, kyoani tier studio doesn't mean it's underrated. I myself consider A-1 one of the more popular studios because of the sheer number of shows they have made. 86 and Kaguya-sama (also Lycoreco) are definitely very well. It's just that their average tends to be hit-or-miss or below the standards that we think of when we think about any random anime made by one of the four aforementioned studios.
Kaguya is a rom com that pretty much any studio can adapt and look good. People might say they are the only studios that can handle mecha but the muv luv studios did on par if not better. Lyco Reco sakuga isn't even good since it largely gun focused. And the character designs are ass. It has no business having that high sales. Engage kiss was a better show when it comes to Sakuga and character design. SAO as well.
Apr 2, 2023 3:39 PM

Jun 2021
AnimePedestrian said:
ApplePieHunter said:
A-1 Pictures can always be relied upon to have smooth and appealing animation. They also put in a large amount of effort to adapt the core aspects of a manga that the fans love. However, in my opinion, they also adapt some of the best and worst stories in the industry. But they also adapted some of the least liked shows in the community like, Darling in the FranXX

Isn't Darling in the FranXX a trigger original which A1 worked alongside Trigger to produce?
Ah, a quick google search shows you're right. I'm not sure how much responsibility A-1 had with the production of Darling in the FranXX, but it would probably be fair to let them off the hook for this one
I like apple pie. I also like gaming. Man's two greatest inventions.

Apr 2, 2023 3:41 PM

Jun 2021
MAXproARYAN said:
ApplePieHunter said:
A-1 Pictures can always be relied upon to have smooth and appealing animation. They also put in a large amount of effort to adapt the core aspects of a manga that the fans love. However, in my opinion, they also adapt some of the best and worst stories in the industry. They're the studio behind some of the most beloved shows like Love is War, Your Lie in April, and 86. But they also adapted some of the least liked shows in the community like Sword Art Online, Darling in the FranXX, and Fairy Tail.

At the end of the day, the impression I get is that they're just a company that adapts what they think will be popular and make money. They put effort into it so publishers and investors can be happy, but it's not like they really have a unique style or some sort of care into what they take on.

I agree but imo, except DITF , niether of sao or fairy tail is their fault, its just the source material, and i think sao got a really good adaptation if anything
+ I feel like all of love is war, 86 and YLIA had nothing but care put into it
But that's the point I'm trying to make. SAO and Fairy Tail had pretty lame source material, but they still chose to adapt them for whatever reason. To me, it signals that they just do what they do to get paid. Especially since the large majority of their flops still blew up and became really popular.

Of course, not every anime will be a winner, regardless of how much you try to cherry pick the best of the best. But considering how much content they have produced for the ones that aren't winners, it's pretty clear that winning = making money to them

Apr 2, 2023 4:03 PM

Jan 2021
ApplePieHunter said:
AnimePedestrian said:

Isn't Darling in the FranXX a trigger original which A1 worked alongside Trigger to produce?
Ah, a quick google search shows you're right. I'm not sure how much responsibility A-1 had with the production of Darling in the FranXX, but it would probably be fair to let them off the hook for this one

Yeah when you think about it the big three things people hold over them, Darling in the FranXX, Sword Art Online and Fairy Tale are thing they did work on. But the community doesn't like those things cause they are poorly written, not cause they are poorly animated. Which means there worst crime A1 did is taking on work to keep the lights on and adapting stuff which is not that great compared to other brands. 

That be like saying Ufotable is terrible because they made Demon Slayer. Yes Demon Slayer isn't the most compelling work of fiction but that isn't down to Ufotable who are adapting a mediocre manga. It just the nature of business. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Apr 2, 2023 4:15 PM

Sep 2021
It's responsible for LycoReco and adapted Fairy Tail. I have no idea about reputation or anything, but for giving me those two shows, it's already my favorite studio! 

Also, shouldn't it be super popular through Love is War? I always feel like this show has the most fans overall. 
Apr 2, 2023 4:26 PM

May 2021
I really like A-1 pictures and get excited when I see a new project is under them, which is probably because I’m such a huge kaguya-sama fan, but still
Apr 2, 2023 5:06 PM

Jun 2021
AnimePedestrian said:
ApplePieHunter said:

Yeah when you think about it the big three things people hold over them, Darling in the FranXX, Sword Art Online and Fairy Tale are thing they did work on. But the community doesn't like those things cause they are poorly written, not cause they are poorly animated. Which means there worst crime A1 did is taking on work to keep the lights on and adapting stuff which is not that great compared to other brands. 

That be like saying Ufotable is terrible because they made Demon Slayer. Yes Demon Slayer isn't the most compelling work of fiction but that isn't down to Ufotable who are adapting a mediocre manga. It just the nature of business. 
But that's just my point. This post seems to praise A-1 as if they're people who animate because it's fun and their passionate. But to me, their lack of style combined with the not-so-subtle focus on popularity makes them just a high quality business. They animate the things that make money, not the things they think are artistic masterpieces that deserved to receive a special adaptation. It's not a crime to act like a normal business, especially if you do consistently deliver high quality products (if we exclude the source material of the product), but they definitely shouldn't be considered "underrated".

Apr 2, 2023 7:39 PM

Jul 2019
Ah yes, the studio that bought us Sword Art Online. Such a great studio! AI pictures aren't over-hated in my eyes. They're pretty mixed. Their works such as 86, Your Lie in April, Darlin in the Franx, and Oreimo are pretty bad. Of course, some are passable like 86 but to say they are underrated when they make the most inflated series EVER is pretty outrageous.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 2, 2023 7:43 PM

Jul 2019
ApplePieHunter said:
AnimePedestrian said:

But that's just my point. This post seems to praise A-1 as if they're people who animate because it's fun and their passionate. But to me, their lack of style combined with the not-so-subtle focus on popularity makes them just a high quality business. They animate the things that make money, not the things they think are artistic masterpieces that deserved to receive a special adaptation. It's not a crime to act like a normal business, especially if you do consistently deliver high quality products (if we exclude the source material of the product), but they definitely shouldn't be considered "underrated".

Agreed. People be holding them to such a high standard when they've done nothing that's even remotely profound that permeates the entire industry.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 2, 2023 7:52 PM
Jul 2021
LordSozin said:
Ah yes, the studio that bought us Sword Art Online. Such a great studio! AI pictures aren't over-hated in my eyes. They're pretty mixed. Their works such as 86, Your Lie in April, Darlin in the Franx, and Oreimo are pretty bad. Of course, some are passable like 86 but to say they are underrated when they make the most inflated series EVER is pretty outrageous.

Bruh 86 legit couldn't have gotten a better adaptation by any other studio.
A good adaptation is much more than just animations, and shows like 86 , mushoku tensei and love is war and even bocchi the rock are literal proof of that
Also YLIA was really good, whats the problem with that? And As others mentioned A-1 didn't have much to do with DITF
Apr 2, 2023 7:55 PM

Aug 2020
Nah, they definitely not either or. They are just alright-to-good studio.
Keep scrolling
Apr 2, 2023 7:59 PM
Jul 2021
icefirestone23 said:
MAXproARYAN said:
Nier has been pretty average ever since episode 1. No big instances of Sakuga.

_ATG_ said:
Kaguya is a rom com that pretty much any studio can adapt and look good. People might say they are the only studios that can handle mecha but the muv luv studios did on par if not better. Lyco Reco sakuga isn't even good since it largely gun focused. And the character designs are ass. It has no business having that high sales. Engage kiss was a better show when it comes to Sakuga and character design. SAO as well.

There's no other studio that can adapt kaguya as well, besides cloverworks ig.
You probably just think good adaptation= good animations (which is why studios like ufotable and mappa are incredibly popular).
No. There's much more to that.
As i have mentioned ufotable hasnt made any scene from Kny manga way better except the fight scenes.
And while mappa did it on quite a few occasions, it wasn't anywhere near the level of kaguya s3 ending and 86 part 2 ending where the adaptation was considered wayy better than the source material.
Also you disliking lycoreco for character designs is very subjective, but yea i also think engage kiss had better sakuga.
And btw, a good adaptation is much more than just animations, and 86 and love is war have S tier direction, which not any studio can provide
Apr 2, 2023 8:05 PM

Jul 2019
MAXproARYAN said:
LordSozin said:

Bruh 86 legit couldn't have gotten a better adaptation by any other studio.
A good adaptation is much more than just animations, and shows like 86 , mushoku tensei and love is war and even bocchi the rock are literal proof of that
Also YLIA was really good, whats the problem with that? And As others mentioned A-1 didn't have much to do with DITF

Proof of what? What are the specific aspect other than animation and flashy sequences? If it's emotions, that's pretty cheap in my eyes. Of course, they adapted 86 truly to source material and even in some cases elevated when compared to the Light Novels. What I'm saying is that shows such as 86 and A1 pictures' past works' quality outside of its flashy animation aren't on par with the writing or extensive stuff like Madhouse, for example, have produced. My feeling is that A1 pictures aren't over-hated. In fact, I feel that the studio has recently become overrated simply because of a couple of shows that did well in the popularity of the masses such as Love is War and 86.
LordSozinApr 2, 2023 8:09 PM

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 2, 2023 8:16 PM
Mar 2021
I just want Grimgar S2 but there is no S2 yet....

Meanwhile SAO.... 
Apr 2, 2023 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
AnimePedestrian said:
MadanielFL said:
They were, but that guy isn't a Trigger employee.
He is just friends with the founder of Trigger because they knew each other when they both worked at Gainax. 

I see, I see. I guess of the two parties Trigger is more responsible for the story then.

It was the A1/Clover works producer that received backlash
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-04-17/anime-producer-yuichi-fukushima-endures-harassment-over-darling-in-the-frankxx-episode/.130524
Apr 2, 2023 11:02 PM

Jun 2019
A-1 pictures made Idolmaster 2011 and did a fantastic job with episode specific ED's and such attention to detail.

Otoh there's Fairy Tail.
Apr 2, 2023 11:31 PM

Feb 2016
Underrated? Not really but overhated? Maybe but they do definitely have hit or misses.  
Apr 3, 2023 12:26 AM

Oct 2018
understandable and have a nice day.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Apr 3, 2023 12:34 AM

Aug 2020
Apr 3, 2023 12:43 AM

May 2018
Some problems when people judge studios:

People see studios as brands, but the quality (like technical quality) of the shows is highly depending on many outside factors, like the team working on the project if freelancers are used or the production committee which gives the money and has some creative control.
Also the the big studios usually don't specialize in genres which means not every title from them is targeted at the same audience, thus the people will have skewed perspective on their overall production.
Personally I see as brands only some of the smaller studios (which employ a fixed set of artists), or for example Orange and Polygon Pictures which try to push their own styles and visual language of 3D CGI, or specifically the mecha/sci-fi line of Sunrise which has other projects I don't see as their branding products ect.

A1 being one of the biggest has a wide variety of projects from great ones like Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai to total mismanagement. Seeing their name on the "Studios" section tells me nothing about the anime before I actually watch it.

Talking about studios people usually look at the products (also usually at the highwater marks of those), not at the organization behind them...which is essentially their work: managing/coordination the whole process. Judging studios is a lot more than simply knowing who delivered your favorite shows.

People sometimes don't pay attention to what is going on industrial level. For example perceiving MadHouse for its past glory without realizing that its core migrated and created MAPPA (which is also wrongfully perceived are relatively new studio) and few others. Another example is may people failing at differentiate CloverWorks from A1.

So:
- Only few studios deserve to be seen as brands...that is being consistent at doing certain things. You should focus more on your favorite authors, many of who constantly change studios.
- Don be prejudice of studios! Even your least favorite can surprise you with a good show or too. Even your most beloved one can produce an stinker.
- Take account for studios changing over time.
Apr 3, 2023 12:49 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
A-1 Pictures? UNDERRATED?
AnoHana is overrated cryporn garbage, ERASED had questionable execution and villain, and then they later butchered Ace Attorney...

Apr 3, 2023 3:56 AM

May 2020
I won't say they are overrated, but when compared to other studios like Mappa, KyoAni and Ufotable, maybe it is less appreciated. But I agree with you that plenty of my favourite anime are from A1.
Apr 3, 2023 4:41 AM

Jun 2012
A-1 pictures is kinda underated and very overhated

No they are not and the evidence to prove it false is clear. 

Also, they had nothing to do with Mushoku. 
Apr 3, 2023 8:40 AM
Jun 2021
MAXproARYAN said:
Hear me out...
When you ask me what i think are the top adaptations of all time, i think of 86 , mushoku tensai and love is war in order, 2/3 are made by A-1.i believe all 3 of those are S tier adaptations and elevate the already loved source material, and has tons of love put into it.
Yes , demon slayer has god tier animations but you never look forward to ufotable adapting a scene from demon slayer which isnt a fight sequence, which is smth i wouldnt call elevating the manga .
I also think A-1 has the most stacked lineup for upcoming anime along with mappa.
A-1 has love is war , 86 , lycoris recoil, nier (despite the production issues), mashle, SOLO LEVELLING  and few others , which compete toe to toe with Mappa's jjk, csm , Hell's paradise, aot and vinland saga .
Ufotable makes like one anime a year, and while they do deliver quality anime, i think quantity is also important.
People hate A-1 for sds but sds got bad after S2, which was not adapted by A-1, and some people blame A-1 for that.
Others hate it for things like Nier production issues , but thats problem of the production studio Aniplex and not A-1's staff.
I think two of my fav animated scenes of all time are 86 part 2 ending, and love is war s3 ending, where you can just see passion and love for the project flowing through the screen.
86 is a piece of garbage, so is Solo Levelling and Mashle. Lycoreco is pure cancer and its' fans collectively jumping to shit up Gundam after it ended will never be forgiven. Love is war is patently overrated.

So, in terms of "stack" it's not that great.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Apr 3, 2023 9:05 AM

May 2018
Kaguya-sama, 86, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Erased, Ano Hana, Shinsekai Yori, some very well rated and popular stuff. Honestly, I don't see people hating on it either.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 3, 2023 11:43 AM

Jan 2021
icefirestone23 said:
MAXproARYAN said:

Not sure tho

86 barely had any cgi mixed with 2d due to the nature of the show. Since it largely mecha spiders fighting. And yes smaller studios like the ones who did the muv luv can do on par if not better.

Outsourcing cgi will always lead to terrible composition. It is primarily used if the models or designs are too complex for handrawn.

So a1 is overall not good with cgi especially in comparison to ufotable or mappa. They would not be able to animate chainsaw man due to how complex the modeling it would be for denji and it mixing 2d and 3d. Chainsaw man is pretty much unadaptable unless you get a studio like mappa. If a1 animated it, it would look as bad as nier.

I don't get what you mean, A-1 Pictures and MAPPA are roughly equally as good in their animation, which isn't to say much, but I don't think if they adapted Chainsaw Man it would look much uglier than what MAPPA already did for it. But Nier does, in fact, look ugly.
Apr 3, 2023 11:59 AM
Dec 2017
Only in your mind they living rent free op.

Apr 3, 2023 2:16 PM

Mar 2021
Ionliosite2 said:
But Nier does, in fact, look ugly.
Even for the 2d Nier stuff it looks pretty bad to the shows they put out in Sumer 2022.
Apr 3, 2023 8:28 PM
Jul 2021
Sometimes i wonder if y'all watched the same show as i did, unless you dropped it after ep1
Apr 3, 2023 11:03 PM

Dec 2019
They're not both for me, they're just an alright studio but i hate them for not making Grimgar S2
Apr 3, 2023 11:07 PM

Feb 2020
Not really underrated in my opinion.
Apr 6, 2023 8:42 AM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
Thread locked for not encouraging meaningful discussion.

Anime/Manga Discussion Rules 2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. Examples include:

g. categorizing generalized opinions as popular/unpopular
e.g. Why does everyone like/hate ___, Why is studio ___ so hated, Post your unpopular opinion about ___, etc.
These threads are designed to assign people into black/white categories which then instigate wars between each "side". Either use the overrated/underrated thread or think carefully about what it is you want to discuss and avoid generalizing.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Anime That Took a While to Enjoy

Jackof-allspades - Yesterday

22 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character?

Shizuna - Jun 3

41 by SgtBateMan »»
7 minutes ago

» How stylish is your favouite character?

SgtBateMan - 10 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

» Why do you dislike historical anime?

perseii - 6 hours ago

21 by LoveYourSmile »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

51 by StyxParadise »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.