Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 7, 2022 9:03 AM

Jul 2021
Do actual horror animes exist? I'm not talking about gore, killings, lots of blood horror nor am I talking about disturbing stuff. I'm talking about genuine horror atmosphere, that eerie silence and tense atmosphere, not knowing what will appear and what will happen next, animes which will make you feel genuinely scared while watching them and will scare to continue watching.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 7, 2022 9:07 AM

Jun 2022
Yes, for example in https://myanimelist.net/anime/2596/Shinreigari
I'd like to make myself believe that Planet Earth turns slowly
Oct 7, 2022 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
Tere a manga about a creepy cow with a head i can’t remember what it’s called
Oct 7, 2022 9:23 AM

Aug 2017
They exist depends of what do you consider as "horror". Disturbing stuff isn't horror all the time.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 7, 2022 9:23 AM

Oct 2018
I don't know, but Shinsekai Yori had an episode of pure horror called Darkness
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Oct 7, 2022 9:24 AM

May 2020
Higurashi was pretty scary for me, some scenes were gruesome
Oct 7, 2022 9:25 AM

Feb 2021
Yes.

Another

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei The Animation (and its sequels)

Deadman Wonderland

Itou Junji: Collection

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu

Shiki

Takahashi Rumiko Gekijou Ningyo no Mori (and its sequels)
Oct 7, 2022 9:33 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Mononoke, one of the most if not the scariest shit ever

Oct 7, 2022 9:46 AM
Dec 2020
I mean the promised Neverland season 1 does have some scary scenes and some jumpscares also a really eerie surrounding too.
Oct 7, 2022 9:48 AM
Feb 2020
In my opinion for me what I found disturbing was anime like

serial experiments lain (the atmosphere feels very desolate and people act very bizarre)

Mononoke (this anime is disturbing with the stories they show)

Monster (Johann Liebert is a genuinely terrifying villain like Griffith)
Oct 7, 2022 9:56 AM

Feb 2013
imagine expecting to be scared by tv shows D:
Oct 7, 2022 10:02 AM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
Gakkougurashi is the scariest horror anime.

I'm not joking.
Oct 7, 2022 10:10 AM

Feb 2018
It's nice to see another Ghost Hound fan in the wild, that anime is seriously a gem.
Oct 7, 2022 10:12 AM

Oct 2019
the only horror thing that has genuinely scared me was hereditary.

but I think you got it backwards.

if you want disturbing horror, there are a good few stuff. anime is more bad at jumpscare horror. made in abyss for example has some terrifying moments.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 7, 2022 10:18 AM

Feb 2016
I see you've heard of Shiki. One may dislike it personally, but what is Shiki if not horror?

romagia said:
imagine expecting to be scared by tv shows D:

Also this.
その目だれの目?
Oct 7, 2022 10:23 AM
Nov 2021
Jorge Joestar is very unpredictable and you apparently find that scary
Oct 7, 2022 10:36 AM

Feb 2020
There are some creepy shorts like Watashi no Kao, but full series? Haven't seen any.
Oct 7, 2022 10:40 AM

Jul 2020
Out of all the "horror" anime I've watched (71 titles according to anime.plus), Shiki is the closest to an actual horror and none of the others even come close
InexplicableOct 7, 2022 10:46 AM
Oct 7, 2022 10:57 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Episode 5 of Flip Flappers has a genuinely scary atmosphere, I would recommend it.
Oct 7, 2022 11:05 AM
Dec 2017
shiki and another easy picks for me personally.

Oct 7, 2022 11:11 AM

Feb 2022
Did1268 said:
Tere a manga about a creepy cow with a head i can’t remember what it’s called

It was more of final destination movies kind of horror. A guy still looking for employment and his group of friends run over a kudan youkai that prophesised they'll all die and they keep getting rekt while MC tries to save the heroine.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/92369/Kudan_no_Gotoshi?q=kudan%20no%20gotoshi&cat=manga
Oct 7, 2022 11:11 AM

May 2020
You should watch Shinreigari, it has very eerie atmosphere. I want to watch it again..
Oct 7, 2022 11:48 AM

Feb 2021
I haven't seen any that are actually scary, but some that I did find pretty creepy.
Oct 7, 2022 11:56 AM

Jan 2008
Shiki definitely comes close.
Ghost Hunt also took classic horror elements together
Oct 7, 2022 11:58 AM
Jul 2018
Ironically I like horror and dark fantasy anime often more than actual live action horror movies. I rarely can't get really into them, because it's hard to bond with the characters and care for them.

It's often the standard family with the average parents, the bratty teenage daughter and the average son, who's slightly younger. They are living or buying a new home and supernatural shit happens there.
Or you often got the generic teenage group.

Ofc there are others too, but I rarely get into them. They are good popcorn cinema and it's fun to enjoy the horror atmosphere while watching, but I wouldn't say that I really like most of them.
Also they go over the top with jumpscares and shock values and these get worn out now to me.

I also prefer dark fantasy over actual horror a lot.

+ https://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi

It's tagged as Iyashikei, but it got a very eerie atmosphere in the episodic stories.
removed-userOct 7, 2022 12:02 PM
Oct 7, 2022 11:59 AM

Nov 2021
I Haven't Found Any Super Spooky Horror Anime Yet, That Genuinely Scared Me Or Spooked Me.
Oct 7, 2022 12:09 PM

Oct 2016
Got two good recommendations here. I'd say the first season of Yami Shibai and Boogiepop Phantom, great atmosphere in both.
Oct 7, 2022 12:12 PM

Jun 2022
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

+ https://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi

It's tagged as Iyashikei, but it got a very eerie atmosphere in the episodic stories.

Yeah Mushishi can be creepy at times but it doesn't have that feeling most of the time
I'd like to make myself believe that Planet Earth turns slowly
Oct 7, 2022 12:21 PM
Oct 2020
I for one, thought Another as a genuinely good supernatural horror
Oct 7, 2022 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
Im s
UberBat said:
nah i watched the first arc and god it was boring. Suprisingly weird since i really enjoyed the author’s other work shiki
Oct 7, 2022 12:42 PM

Dec 2016
The entire purpose of the horror genre (evoke fear and uneasiness in its audience) can only work or be effectively executed in live-action content with real people made of flesh and bones in real-world scenarios, so the answer is no.
Oct 7, 2022 1:08 PM

Feb 2021
Did1268 said:
Im s
UberBat said:
nah i watched the first arc and god it was boring. Suprisingly weird since i really enjoyed the author’s other work shiki

I also was bored with Ghost Hunt. Still can't understand how is another her work, Shiki, made a great impact of me.
Oct 7, 2022 4:01 PM

Oct 2011
Watch some horror Avant-garde anime. There's some disturbing and possibly tense atmospheric and/or psychological themed shorts or longer ones among some of this category. But horror/scary is subjective since everyone has their own types of sensitivities.
Oct 7, 2022 4:10 PM

Dec 2012
Those anime which go from a solid 9/10 to a 3/10 dumpster in a few episodes are the real horror in my eyes, not the actual 'Horror' tag in anime
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Oct 7, 2022 4:11 PM

Apr 2022
" Another " can be considered very creepy if that doesn't cut it for you... maybe some live action or non anime horror movie will do better.
Oct 7, 2022 7:41 PM

Jul 2007
I don't feel that animation works as well for the horror genre as it doesn't for genres like fantasy. Having things animated just make them feel like a separate world from our own. This works well for fantasy, magic, or superpower shows since the show feeling like it's in its own world allows for a greater suspension of disbelief. With the horror genre though a lot of the enjoyment comes from being able to picture yourself in the situations to feel the fear and dread that comes with it. In this situation the show feeling like it's in it's own world separate from ours works against it.
Oct 7, 2022 7:48 PM

Jun 2019
Horror fan here.

Inexplicable said:
Out of all the "horror" anime I've watched (71 titles according to anime.plus), Shiki is the closest to an actual horror and none of the others even come close

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Shiki is the best example of a "pure" horror anime series I've seen to date where the core central genre is indisputably horror; almost exclusively so (you could credibly argue it's also part thriller and part drama, but that's a natural consequence and outgrowth of the story and situation itself common to many non-anime horror titles). It definitely has as well the characteristic atmospheric tension of an isolated setting, wandering dark deserted streets at night while a menace is on the prowl unbeknownst to the PoV character at the time, a feeling of hopeless and despair at being surrounded and outnumbered, threatened to be consumed, by a seemingly unstoppable force that is perverting nature/the natural order, giving in/submission to the terror and circumstances as there's no likelihood of being saved, small world around you collapsing in on itself leading people to break with the pretenses of their previous roles and personas under normal circumstances, questioning the meaning of life & death/basic precepts of morality, dread, existential depression, etc.

Now, whether one finds it scary is another thing. That's always so completely individual. Personally, I find there are a number of tense moments where you're waiting for the hammer to drop similar to in a thriller, and some gruesome and evocative imagery, similar to in most at-least-decent horror. But 99.9% of either anime or non-anime horror alike in the whole breadth of media doesn't genuinely scare me in a deep and lasting manner in the sense of where I actually feel physiologically stimulated to feel physically uncomfortable and on edge at the time of viewing and/or thinking about it long afterward in the hours, days, even weeks or more ahead and coloring my perception of the world at all when, say, in the house alone at night.

I'm very desensitized to horror media in general having watched obscene and obsessive level amounts of it from a very young age and it long being one of my favorite genres, and that extends to anime titles too. I can count on less than two hands all the non-anime horror films and series which actually scare me in that real visceral way at any point in their runtime, and for anime, I think I can confidently say only parts of Higurashi season one did so.

It isn't the reason I watch horror anyway though, truth be told. I watch (hopefully, usually reasonably above average quality) horror for the same reason I watch and seek out good thrillers, drama, Sci-Fi, or fantasy - to see what kind of world and story they construct and, complementary to that, how they use it to explore the human condition and the mysteries of life/the universe. Unexplored or, typically rather, underexplored, thoughts and feelings with the who/what/when/where/why/how of the plot, setting, characters, etc. merely serving as its structural basis and a conduit. Shiki delivers that in spades, making it an excellent example of horror fiction, regardless of how subjectively frightening or not one individually finds it.
WatchTillTandavaOct 7, 2022 7:51 PM
Oct 7, 2022 8:07 PM

Feb 2016
Did1268 said:
Im s
UberBat said:

I had the same experience and feel the same way you do.
その目だれの目?
Oct 7, 2022 10:01 PM

Apr 2015
Hm not that I remember being scared or disturbed watching anime. Someone could prob say I'm numb to these things already, as I can't name a movie that has made me feel anxious either. And it's not a matter of me not watching enough to find it, quite the opposite. But I don't enjoy horror genre just to be scared in the first place.

Typical answer but I thought Perfect blue creates athmospere really well. The ost is main reason imo, it feels heavy around you. Paranoia agent also does it well, but it isn't really horror, maybe closer to thriller and crime.
Oct 7, 2022 10:14 PM

Mar 2015
idk about horror but I've seen some horrible ones for sure
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Oct 7, 2022 10:43 PM

Jan 2021
I think some episodes of Mushishi have genuine horror in it.

Perfect Blue is something that actually made me feel disturbed though, it's a great watch.
Oct 7, 2022 11:07 PM

Aug 2018
Higurashi VN and Shiki anime were pretty scary for me
Oct 8, 2022 12:15 AM

Aug 2018
yeah. yami shibai, genuine horror.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/19383/Yami_Shibai
Oct 8, 2022 12:28 AM
Jun 2022
yea but manga is better for the genre

More topics from this board

» Is romance/slice of life the greatest anime genre? ( 1 2 )

Semester1 - Yesterday

62 by omorashi »»
30 seconds ago

» Opposite sex AND same sex characters you most relate to

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

6 by JaniSIr »»
4 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

26 by JaniSIr »»
13 minutes ago

» why is myanimelist aka mal not popular in china?

deg - May 12

29 by LenRea »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Is reviving characters poor writing?

rohan121 - 3 hours ago

22 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.