Forum Settings
Forums

Anyone else notice that anime hype on the internet seems to have decreased over the last 6 years?

New
Sep 1, 2022 10:47 PM

Aug 2013
Seems like 2011-2016 was full of anime that took the internet by storm. Whether it was Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online, Kill La Kill, Hunter x Hunter, Parasyte, Erased, One Punch Man, Dragon Ball Super, Steins;Gate, My Hero Academia, it seemed like there was always a new show people are hyped about. The shows successes transcended into pop culture and it wasn't uncommon to meet people on the street who were watching the same animes that you were.

2017-present just seems like people are a lot less excited than they were back then. I do admit there have been shows like Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaizen that hit similar notes as the hyped shows in the 2011-16 era, but that's about it. Can't really think of any other new shows that obtained similar levels of hype that have aired in the last 6 years.

Have you noticed this too? What do you think is causing this? Are American consumers burnt out from anime, or maybe new anime haven't been as good as it was before? I have a feeling it's a little bit of both tbh. Online streaming from Crunchyroll/Netflix allowed for Americans/Westerners to enjoy anime for first time in the early 2010s. It allowed for a foreign audience to discover and enjoy a brand new genre they never seen before, but now the shiny new toy is no longer new and got bored and moved on to the next shiny new thing. On the other hand, it seems that Japan hasn't really been producing massive hits as often as it did in that era either. I haven't really been thrilled with much of the recent anime personally, but that's just anecdotal. Every season these days is full of bland Isekai and Harems that people are bored with.
KalleySep 1, 2022 10:59 PM
Sep 1, 2022 11:04 PM

Oct 2013
Wdym? people just recently start watching anime because of covid.
Sep 1, 2022 11:06 PM

Aug 2013
Scavendgarr said:
Wdym? people just recently start watching anime because of covid.

I mean there are fewer viral sensations than there used to be. Maybe more people are watching older stuff but there isn't that fresh new hit that everyone is talking about.
Sep 1, 2022 11:06 PM

Feb 2020
^^ exactly thats the first thing came to my mind
Sep 1, 2022 11:07 PM

Sep 2010
Have you been sleeping under a rock? Since the beginning of Corona practically everything gets completely overhyped out of proportion.
Sep 1, 2022 11:08 PM
Nov 2021
Isn't there an anime or two almost every season some people praise as the best thing ever?
SxF, Moshuku, Shield hero, Dragon maid S etc?
Kaguya is still second in top anime series and now everybody is raving about mainly Mob Psycho and Csm
Wtf are you talking about?
Sep 1, 2022 11:09 PM

Aug 2013
ateks said:
Have you been sleeping under a rock? Since the beginning of Corona practically everything gets completely overhyped out of proportion.

Really? Because when I enter a shopping mall I do not see any merch from shows that have came out in the last 6 years. It's all older titles like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Attack on Titan, MHA, SAO, etc... but not anything that's recent (with the exception of Demon Slayer).
Sep 1, 2022 11:09 PM
Jul 2018
Ig the quality of content in the recent years decreased and quantity of content increased also most of the popular shounen nowadays lacks originality.
Sep 1, 2022 11:10 PM
Oct 2020
Not really, I think it have become even more popular right now.Remember how people used to watch Naruto on YouTube in PARTS. Nowadays, there's like hundreds of way for you to access anime easily be it from streaming to downloading. Also, quarantine really help raising the numbers of people watching them
Sep 1, 2022 11:12 PM

Aug 2013
NotAnApartment said:
Isn't there an anime or two almost every season some people praise as the best thing ever?
SxF, Moshuku, Shield hero, Dragon maid S etc?
Kaguya is still second in top anime series and now everybody is raving about mainly Mob Psycho and Csm
Wtf are you talking about?

It might be praised heavily in the internet echo chamber, but it's not a breakout success into the mainstream. The virality is confined to our own space and doesn't reach beyond that, which is the point of my thread.

I think people forget how mainstream AoT and SAO were when they first came out. Whatever miniscule attention Dragon Maid received doesn't lift a finger to how viral AoT and SAO were.
Sep 1, 2022 11:14 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Kalley said:
Every season these days is full of bland Isekai and Harems that people are bored with.

That's the main problem and it's exactly what lessens the enjoyment and hype of Anime, well at least to me. I've been drone to read more Manga recently for such reason.
Kalley said:
On the other hand, it seems that Japan hasn't really been producing massive hits as often as it did in that era either.

Due to various problems for animators and the lack of budget as well as lack of original or interesting ideas, many studios' quality production has gone downhill. Most original Anime nowadays don't stand a chance compared to those classic ones.
Sep 1, 2022 11:16 PM

Sep 2010
Kalley said:
ateks said:

Really? Because when I enter a shopping mall I do not see any merch from shows that have came out in the last 6 years. It's all older titles like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Attack on Titan, MHA, SAO, etc... but not anything that's recent (with the exception of Demon Slayer).

They only sell what is well known or already popular. Stuff that is just overhyped for a season and then gets forgotten won't make them money. Stores are a terrible indicator for that.
Sep 1, 2022 11:20 PM

Oct 2013
It's never the quality being the problem. you guys just ignoring quality shows like how people don't wanna watch golden kamuy just because 1 bear CGI in 1 episode.
Sep 1, 2022 11:41 PM

Jun 2022
I dunno, I feel like hype has only gotten bigger due to the continued proliferation of social media, as well as influencers and whatnot who have made entire careers off of being "hype beasts"
Sep 2, 2022 12:13 AM

Jul 2021
i think it's quite oppsite actually. anime has never been this popular before or so i've heard.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Sep 2, 2022 12:26 AM

May 2016
The hype has gotten bigger. Not necessarily a good thing.
Sep 2, 2022 12:30 AM
Jul 2021
Maybe I dunno a little something called oversaturation, way too many weebos/otakus wannabe running around "telling" the world what's what with anime.

Way too many 3xcrement anime being pumped out every single year.

Wokeness taking over.

Netflix, they sure have become a busy little bee, haven't they? Taking over anime (in the west).

Netflix making sh!tty "anime"

Netflix re-imagining certain anime.

Certain companies censoring their products, new and old.

A lot of online content creators/anime fans and to a certain degree normies are seeing the writing on the wall and are, I wouldn't say moving on to better pastures, but are certainly not paying the same amount of attention they used to online hype, so then the online creators create less anime focused content and so the wheels turns.

Me every time I hear the word "reparations": šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Sep 2, 2022 12:40 AM

Jul 2016
ateks said:
Kalley said:

They only sell what is well known or already popular. Stuff that is just overhyped for a season and then gets forgotten won't make them money. Stores are a terrible indicator for that.
this ^
a store would be less likely to stock items that aren't as reliable to sell. they stock items that they are aware have enjoyed staying power as far as popularity and fans go, which is proven over the period of time from when it first started airing. it's taking a risk to stock abundant merch of a newer anime, unless it's explosively popular and marketable from the get go without hype fluff. which, with all of the oversaturation of anime coming out + persevering 1-2 season trend, is not going to apply for 95-98% of the seasonals. brick and mortar stores and stores in shopping malls especially are a business first. you want merch of that recent anime? online shops and retailers carry it. just because your shopping mall doesn't, doesn't mean it's not being sold or created. additionally, most anime merch stores overseas typically tend to be a lot more general than specialty and smaller. not sure why op is using this as reasoning.
Sep 2, 2022 1:38 AM

May 2018
"Anyone else notice that anime hype on the internet seems to have decreased over the last 6 years?"

No recent seasons of AOT, Demon Slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen, JoJo? Even Spy x Family and Paripi Koumei made some noise.
No upcoming season of Chainsaw Man?

My impression is that in those 6 years the fandom grew more and became way more vocal (and annoying).
alshuSep 2, 2022 1:44 AM
Sep 2, 2022 1:50 AM

Jul 2015
Literally exact opposite, bruh. Anime went even more mainstream than ever exactly since late 2015 or early 2016.
It's all thanks to OPM and MHA and few more that aired back then.
Recently Demon Slayer made such a big noise, that whole world heard it.
Also, Netflix started streaming anime and even has some exclusives, so...

Sep 2, 2022 2:04 AM

Sep 2019
I'm pretty sure the hype has gotten even worse in recent years. All the overhyped shows have literally flooded my feed, LOL.
Sep 2, 2022 2:07 AM

Feb 2021
The opposite is happening. Hyping is through the roof these days. Tell me one season which doesn't have a super hyped anime. Call of the Night, CSM, MHA S6, Bleach TYBW, Mob Psycho are some upcoming ones which are pretty hyped up by their respective fandoms

Sep 2, 2022 2:08 AM

May 2018
Piromysl said:

Even Crunchyroll tried to become a producer.
Now Disney+ is trying to become a player too with Sommertime Rander and the new Bleach season.
Sep 2, 2022 2:09 AM

Jul 2015
alshu said:
Piromysl said:

Now Disney+ is trying to become a player too with Sommertime Rander and the new Bleach season.

"Tried" lol.
Let's not talk about the abomination they spawned.

Sep 2, 2022 2:18 AM

May 2018
Piromysl said:

Let's not talk about the abomination they spawned.

I am not...just commenting on the business movements and perspectives.

And if I am not mistaken Yojouhan Time Machine Blues would be on Disney+ too. Like there's growing fandom which more companies are trying to milk.
Sep 2, 2022 2:31 AM

Aug 2022
I've noticed the exact opposite to be honest, anime started increasing in popularity hugely around 2016 and from what I've seen hasn't stopped since. It's everywhere nowadays and pretty much impossible to avoid, comparing how things are today to how things were when I started in 2009, we never would've saw this coming. Part of me does wish it was decreasing because I miss the days this niche little hobby of mine felt so special but let's be real here it's not decreasing in popularity at all.
Sep 2, 2022 2:39 AM

Aug 2022
Kalley said:

2017-present just seems like people are a lot less excited than they were back then. I do admit there have been shows like Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaizen that hit similar notes as the hyped shows in the 2011-16 era, but that's about it. Can't really think of any other new shows that obtained similar levels of hype that have aired in the last 6 years.

I think this is more so the fault of most new otaku/anime fans almost exclusively watching currently airing shows, back in 09 we didn't really have simulcasts to the same extent we do now so we mostly watched previously aired shows and because there was a limited amount due to mostly relying on fansubbers at the time we only had so many to choose from, so a lot of shows really stood out. Now that we have so many choices every single season, and seasonal viewing is now the big thing to do because everyone wants to keep up with the latest SNS discussions, people tend to hype up shows for short periods of time, then when the season ends they're slowly forgotten about and replaced with the next talk of the season, we rarely get shows that gain long term fame to the same extent as SAO and Attack on Titan, NGE, because we have so many to choose from and people only really care about what's new and being discussed online, that and for a lot of people those anime were their introduction to the media, at least the newer fans so those shows probably hold a more special place in their heart than the latest seasonal talk of the town.
Sep 2, 2022 2:39 AM

Feb 2015
alshu said:
Piromysl said:

That makes me want to SCREAM!!! I can't STAND how many different streaming services there are. Disney has as much to do with Bleach as I do with Southern American politics. Ugh, that is senseless!
Sep 2, 2022 3:14 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
No it's just you I think...anime is getting more popular than ever every year

Sep 2, 2022 3:26 AM

Jan 2021
You tripping, never saw anything you talking about
Sep 2, 2022 3:41 AM

Dec 2015
No idea. As back than in 2012-2016 I wasn't even following any social media, back than I didn't even know what Instagram and Twitter is. And facebook I knew only for Messenger as I had no idea that fanpages and groups are for discussions in these times. So for me whenever there was an anime which bumped up as first in illegal Polish sites I was watching it without knowing if it was a popular shows, a new show or underrated show, back than (untill 2015) I had no idea when exactly those titles came out. Such as SAO, Darker than Black, Hyouka, Charlotte, Angel Beats, I had no idea if they are popular and if they are older/newer shows in 2012-2013.

Right now (2017-2022) I don't even need to go to facebook to know already what is hyped, I just see by recommandations and thumbails at Youtube which never happened over 6 years ago, back than youtube was mainly gaming or people trying to do something creative outside gaming. Even when I know exactly that CSM is hyped I have no idea why, but I would be a rich man if I'd get a dollar for any bumped relations/mentions for CSM in Youtube/Twitter/Facebook/MAL forums/Anywhere else. Same for Spy x Family before 1st came out, I had no idea what it is about and I even missed the first episode premiere so I started watching it when there was 2nd already or something like that.

Not to mention that in nowadays in Poland which has almost no legal anime available with polish translations it isn't rare to see people reading manga in trams, seein cosplayers in big cities going from small convents/gatherings or even seeing people wearing merch of anime such as DB/Naruto/Re Zero anything. Over 6 years ago you'd be the target to be beaten up hardly for wearing or reading such stuff in public. Now when I enter such store as Cropp I can already see the Ahegao shirts and Death Note shirts on sale, which was unthinkable back than. So you surely trippin about it hype, if something like that happens irl than imagine what happens in internet.
ZettaikenSep 2, 2022 3:45 AM
Sep 2, 2022 3:54 AM
Apr 2020
I noticed anime became more popular during the pandemic, so I don’t know what you’re talking about
Sep 2, 2022 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
This is absolutely not true. There has been a lot of hype for Film RED, One Punch Man Season 2, Mob Psycho Season 3, and Classroom of the Elite Season 2.

archmage-senpai said:

^
Sep 2, 2022 8:15 AM

Aug 2020
In my opinion, it is mainly less evident because it's more accessible now. Which is ironical but I think there's more watchers now (non commenters) and the commenters have easier ways to discuss certain anime, which you don't notice always unless you're a part of a certain fandom or browse youtube filtered by day.
Sep 2, 2022 9:46 AM

Jul 2012
I mean, an obvious note is that just using those examples 6 of those are still trending and ongoing in some form and the other bunch weren't nearly as blockbuster hits as you make them out to be.

Steins;gate, Erased and Parasyte did not transcend into pop culture by any means. Popular within the anime community absolutely, but not to mainstream levels outside it.

AOT, MHA and OPM all have new seasons confirmed. DB Super hit huge box office numbers with the newest movie, HXH left hiatus and Togashi made a twitter account that blew up.

But just for other examples outside of those listed, Spy x family, Kaguya-sama, Rent a girlfriend, Maid Dragon, Promised Neverland and Beastars are various examples that all bled over to mainstream or were major hits on their own. You could note those aren't action-centric series and may not generate a similar type of hype but they were all very popular and released post-2016.
Sep 4, 2022 11:38 AM

May 2016
mwinner said:
This is absolutely not true. There has been a lot of hype for Film RED, One Punch Man Season 2, Mob Psycho Season 3, and Classroom of the Elite Season 2.

archmage-senpai said:

^

I meant to say that anime getting more mainstream isn't necessarily a good thing. We have so many new toxic fanboys, SJWs who try to find politics even in the smallest of things, and normies who like to judge anime and it's community for being weebs.

Anime itself has gotten better though. We are getting so many good shows lately, like the ones you mentioned. So many good manga are getting adaptations too.
Sep 4, 2022 11:39 AM

Jan 2009
this is just you lol the pandemic alone made anime so popular worldwide
Sep 4, 2022 1:33 PM

Aug 2017
What are you talking about? Anime popularity is in its peak right now.

>Seems like 2011-2016 was full of anime that took the internet by storm

>It might be praised heavily in the internet echo chamber, but it's not a breakout success into the mainstream.

You're contradicting yourself lol
NurguburuSep 4, 2022 1:39 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 4, 2022 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
Ok, i think i understand what you meant but the way you phrased it makes your observation wrong

Any anime now can be getting a lot of hype regardless if it's sequel or not but there's nothing that overwhemingly wins popular vote
For older shows it seems to be true, there was only one sensation every one or two season and that's the reason they cemented in people's memory. Nowadays there's no consensus over which show is the best anime of the season and more of good series' sequel are coming with highly regarded new show and they divide between thelselves the fans.

An example would be just this year. Aot s4p2 was surely the most anticipated of winter season but it didn't win a good majority of the fans hearts. Ranking of Kings, My Dressup Darling and Akebi something were sensation too during that season
In Spring everybody was hyped about Spy Family and it was the most famous show of the season, but it ended with a LOT of fans preferring Kaguya sama, Summertime Render, Paripi Koumei and lesser known shows. I mean even Shikimori was hyped and then called out on that, lowering the score as it didn't meet the expectations

Older shows when they were good, they were dominating the season
Sep 4, 2022 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
archmage-senpai said:
mwinner said:

^

I meant to say that anime getting more mainstream isn't necessarily a good thing. We have so many new toxic fanboys, SJWs who try to find politics even in the smallest of things, and normies who like to judge anime and it's community for being weebs.

Oh yeah, I was agreeing with you. I didn't make it very clear, sorry.

More topics from this board

» When did the term ā€œJapanimationā€ started to become ā€œanimeā€ and what was the cause of that?

funtime43_tr - 3 hours ago

8 by velvetnyan »»
1 minute ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect. ( 1 2 3 )

Gashadokur0 - May 21

112 by Candy_Error »»
6 minutes ago

» Must I Watch it?

MrShroomzyy - 35 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7195 by digiraiter »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps.

TsutanaiFuun - 3 hours ago

19 by ToG25thBaam »»
12 minutes ago
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.