Forum Settings
Forums

will laboratory grown meat end the vegan and vegetarian movements?

New
will laboratory grown meat end the vegan and vegetarian movements?
Jul 23, 2022 3:24 PM

Jan 2009
laboratory grown meat is coming so will it end vegan and vegetarian movements?

because afaik vegans and vegetarians does it because of ethical reason of preventing animal cruelty

so thoughts? i voted yes
Jul 23, 2022 3:30 PM

Apr 2013
theres always people who refuse to eat because they dont trust the technology, it wont end the movement but it would help reduce animal cruelty and improve meat shortage maybe
Jul 23, 2022 3:34 PM

Dec 2016
Eating... ewwwwww. Fucking primitives. Ut's 2022 for fucks sakes.

It is simply amazing just how many boxes becoming a transhuman cyborg checks.
Jul 23, 2022 3:35 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I don't really think so. Personally, I'm an ecological vegetarian (as much as I try to be). So the idea of chewing on meat and swallowing it isn't a pleasurable one. Probably that a few will turn to that opportunity, but...
"lab-grown meat is grown from animal cells that originate from a living animal. A vegan who is against the consumption of other living beings would likely not consider lab-grown meat vegan." (https://sentientmedia.org/lab-grown-meat/)

Jul 23, 2022 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
I’m pescatarian, for ethical reasons. Fish, eggs and dairy I still eat but I don’t think I’d dabble with lab grown meat. I’ve gone so long without red and white meat that I have no urge to eat it even if it was ethically done. I kinda would feel sketched out over eating lab grown meat too.
Jul 23, 2022 5:05 PM

Jun 2022
I'm more concerned implementation of it once it's viable will be incredibly slow or on too small a scale, and also there will be massive push back from large food-producing corporations.
dragonmadeJul 23, 2022 5:12 PM
Jul 23, 2022 9:42 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Lolsebca said:
A vegan who is against the consumption of other living beings would likely not consider lab-grown meat vegan."

That is an interesting take, because plants are living beings as well.
Jul 23, 2022 9:51 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Lab grown meat still has a long way of going before it becomes customary. If that ever happens at all. It's sure as hell not something I care to try until they make it just as good, if not better than real meat. Even in that world, I'm sure vegans will find something else to complain about.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jul 23, 2022 10:38 PM

Mar 2008
No. There are different kinds of vegetarians and vegans with different motives.

What they don't tell you is lab grown meat isn't necessarily better for the environment. To produce meat of same nutritional profile means vitamins and minerals have to be added to it and those have to come from somewhere. Unless they synthesize the vitamins using microorganisms it's no go. Also because the meat will be basically cloned cells it may be more susceptible to certain bacteria and viruses possibly but that's hard to say.

On the other hand bioengineered milk is quite good for the environment as far as I am aware.
Jul 23, 2022 10:50 PM

Mar 2022
I dont believe lab grown meat will be a viable option with the right nutritional value, proper production & without any lasting side-effects/allergies/etc. - it reminds me of that complete farce of a blood test by way of Theranos & Elizabeth Holmes, as well as stem-cell research

.......At least not in the immediate future, I would need at least another 50-80 years of research and testing until It could become widely available AND have me take a bite outta that lab burger.

I love to see other foods alternatives in this paradoxical world of starvation and gluttony; perhaps lab meat is the answer to the problem. I, for one would like for it to be a success so we can END WORLD HUNGER once and for all🙏..

Jul 23, 2022 10:54 PM

Mar 2008
zenviolet said:
I dont believe lab grown meat will be a viable option with the right nutritional value, proper production & without any lasting side-effects/allergies/etc. - it reminds me of that complete farce of a blood test by way of Theranos & Elizabeth Holmes, as well as stem-cell research

.......At least not in the immediate future, I would need at least another 50-80 years of research and testing until It could become widely available AND have me take a bite outta that lab burger.

I love to see other foods alternatives in this paradoxical world of starvation and gluttony; perhaps lab meat is the answer to the problem. I, for one would like for it to be a success so we can END WORLD HUNGER once and for all🙏..

There is a lot of food just how it's distributed by who pays the most and laws limiting people's ability to produce their own food is what causes hunger and gluttony.
Jul 23, 2022 11:06 PM

Mar 2022
traed said:
zenviolet said:

There is a lot of food just how it's distributed by who pays the most and laws limiting people's ability to produce their own food is what causes hunger and gluttony.

ya i know thats kinda what I was saying:

gluttonous world = "There is a lot of food"

the starved world = "how it's distributed by who pays the most and laws limiting people's ability to produce their own food"

∴ i believe more alternatives = more options for the starved & gluttonous world
Jul 23, 2022 11:09 PM

Jun 2019
zenviolet said:

World hunger has always been a false problem for the production of food is in fact plethoric. I thought as a kid to become a dictator and forbid any unorthodox production of food (junk food like chips, soda, candies, and almost all industrially processed food) in order to end "world hunger," but it is only necessary for aesthetical reasons...
Jul 23, 2022 11:15 PM

Jun 2017
I think they do it more for health reasons, so it probably won't. Plus they'll probably still do it for Moral Superiority. So they can brag about it with their nose up high and sniffing their own farts.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jul 23, 2022 11:15 PM

Mar 2022
Meusnier said:
zenviolet said:

World hunger has always been a false problem for the production of food is in fact plethoric. I thought as a kid to become a dictator and forbid any unorthodox production of food (junk food like chips, soda, candies, and almost all industrially processed food) in order to end "world hunger," but it is only necessary for aesthetical reasons...
i dont think so... "junk food like chips, soda, candies, and almost all industrially processed food" is NOT food! So maybe instead of World Hunger its World Starvation, cause the truth of matter is that people are starving & processed food is not the solution imo
nightjasmineJul 23, 2022 11:23 PM
Jul 23, 2022 11:52 PM

Mar 2015
Some vegans don't eat meat because they don't like the taste of it so I doubt it (unless the lab meat doesn't taste like meat lol)

Jul 24, 2022 12:33 AM

Sep 2021
I've been vegan for 19 years. Whether I consider lab-grown meat vegan depends on whether the animal cell line can be perpetually regenerated, or if it requires regular collection of "fresh" animal cells from living animals. If it is fully self-sustaining, and reasonably priced, then I'd eat it.

The OP seems to be assuming that if there is lab grown meat, then people won't eat regular meat anymore. There will always be a market for standard meat. Lab-grown meat would only take over if standard meat becomes too expensive for most people or gets outlawed somehow. Lab grown meat is still way too expensive for the market, and even if the price comes down, it still needs to compete with standard meat. If there is no more animal cruelty, then the vegan objective has already been completed. But that's not going to happen any time soon.
Jul 24, 2022 10:49 AM

Jun 2019
zenviolet said:
Meusnier said:

i dont think so... "junk food like chips, soda, candies, and almost all industrially processed food" is NOT food! So maybe instead of World Hunger its World Starvation, cause the truth of matter is that people are starving & processed food is not the solution imo

What I meant is that one need not forbid the production of processed food in order to provide sufficient food for everyone.
Jul 24, 2022 11:03 AM
Oct 2020
most people already get most of their calories from processed sugary crap. seed oils, weed and sugar are vegan. in the past our state media ran reports on frozen pizza not containing real cheese to make them cheaper. people were angry about it. today they could even advertise with it, no bad high cholesterol animal suffering inducing cheese, just some rapeseed oil with some "enhanced" by some chemical techniques. veganism is the perfect compromise between big sugar and the left with their idea of sin ("we" consume too much, "we" treat animals badly and so on). in my country they will probably ration meat, or make it too expensive, or shut down big meat producers. if you have no meat, insects will probably be no1 alternative, easier and cheaper than lab meat.

More topics from this board

» Biggest life hot takes?

Rabnawaz2 - 19 minutes ago

0 by Rabnawaz2 »»
19 minutes ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

92 by _YaoiShotaIncest »»
1 hour ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

88 by Azuchi »»
1 hour ago

» Talk to your waifu

EmperorThor - Jan 11, 2023

18 by DesuMaiden »»
2 hours ago

» What is one thing your country is famous for that you wish it wasn't ( 1 2 )

MadanielFL - Mar 31, 2023

73 by Citrone39 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.