Forum Settings
Forums
New
Does reading actually have a relationship with intellect?
To an extent
0.0%
I have to make the poll later no time atm
0.0%
0 votes
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 7, 2022 10:59 AM
Aug 2020
not necessarily. not reading = ignorant. some people can solve problems and think creatively without reading books in their spare time. knowledgeable people are not necessarily clever... They might be able to comment on kings and queens, historic events, random facts, but ask them to solve a math problem, or ask them to code something... or to fix your car, etc. Each person has strengths and weaknesses. Some people read but don't even remember what they have read. Others read and are unable to apply what they have read or make sense of it. Some people just read garbage like 50 Shades of Grey. However, I do tend to think that people who don't read much are boring conversationalists. I have not met a girl who has read even half as much as me. I find most people boring af.
May 7, 2022 11:03 AM
Jan 2022
Schwarznight said:
not necessarily. not reading = ignorant. some people can solve problems and think creatively without reading books in their spare time. knowledgeable people are not necessarily clever... They might be able to comment on kings and queens, historic events, random facts, but ask them to solve a math problem, or ask them to code something... or to fix your car, etc. Each person has strengths and weaknesses. Some people read but don't even remember what they have read. Others read and are unable to apply what they have read or make sense of it. Some people just read garbage like 50 Shades of Grey. However, I do tend to think that people who don't read much are boring conversationalists. I have not met a girl who has read even half as much as me. I find most people boring af.
Lol what do you want to conversate about? Books? I find that stupid. I watch alot of anime but would never want to mainly talk about anime. I find the best things to conversate about are the mundane things in life.
Read it and weep. Your ethnicity and culture are weak.
May 7, 2022 11:12 AM

Dec 2013
Alright, so now you say farmers, fishermen, musicians, painters etc. who spend most of their time getting better at their job and skills instead of reading books are stupid humans?

Obviously not

I hate those arrogant bastards who would say they are stupid

May 7, 2022 11:14 AM
Jan 2022
Opticflash said:
Yes. Same with not playing chess = stupid human
Lol i dont know if you are joking. I was about to add that in the OP about how people think doing other certain things makes you smarter over all. But no doing those certain things do not bring any benefit to your brain other then the small amount of neurons they do incite.

Playing chess for most people just makes you a retard by leading you to think you are somehow better for it. Theres no one thing that benefits you overall, other than those related to keeping yourself in top condition, by eating well, exercising and resting well.
Read it and weep. Your ethnicity and culture are weak.
May 7, 2022 11:30 AM
Aug 2020
MilkMonster said:
Schwarznight said:
Lol what do you want to conversate about? Books? I find that stupid. I watch alot of anime but would never want to mainly talk about anime. I find the best things to conversate about are the mundane things in life.

Not about books. Just things in general. A person who knows a lot can comment on politics, history, psychology, etc. Say I meet someone who is into art...I would be able to talk about art for ages, because I know quite a bit about it. If I meet someone who is interested in history, I can talk about that as well. I would think twice about dating a girl who hasn't got a single book in her house.
May 7, 2022 12:50 PM

Jan 2022
Opticflash said:
Yes. Same with not playing chess = stupid human
"The ability to play chess is the sign of a gentleman. The ability to play chess well is the sign of a wasted life."

Same goes for reading. Having your head always buried in one is kind of weird, but you should have read at least a couple books just on your own.
-insert NGE meme here-
May 7, 2022 12:55 PM

Sep 2020
id rather do IQ quizzes online. it makes my brain overload loool reading books opens up your mind but not reading one doesnt make you stupid or less of a human
May 7, 2022 1:22 PM

Jul 2013
Reading a manual or math book correctly can make you smart enough, so yes! You should read something if you want to be smart.

Elon Musk built rockets because he read books and now he's the CEO of SpaceX.

Reading only fiction novels alone won't help make an entrepreneur or household name out of someone. Especially the Bible, the world's best-selling fiction novel.

On the other hand, TS Eliot could change the way you think about poetry. I agree with Doctor Octavius saying that his poetry is more advanced than advanced physics, complex also. Might as well be more advanced than chemistry also.

Maybe if more mangaka read TS Eliot, then more manga would be more intelligent than generic battle shounen, more original also. Too bad that most mangaka live in their own fantasy world and prefer to write graphic novels for teenagers.

Copying Akira Toriyama's business model, ideas, etc won't make everyone successful at all; copy what he's on to any degree. People cashing in on battle shounen can either make their own stories or get another job.

I am so tired of seeing anime based on second-rate novels making them mediocre overall.
May 7, 2022 4:18 PM
Aug 2020
Kurt_Irving said:
Reading a manual or math book correctly can make you smart enough, so yes! You should read something if you want to be smart.

Elon Musk built rockets because he read books and now he's the CEO of SpaceX.

Reading only fiction novels alone won't help make an entrepreneur or household name out of someone. Especially the Bible, the world's best-selling fiction novel.

On the other hand, TS Eliot could change the way you think about poetry. I agree with Doctor Octavius saying that his poetry is more advanced than advanced physics, complex also. Might as well be more advanced than chemistry also.

Maybe if more mangaka read TS Eliot, then more manga would be more intelligent than generic battle shounen, more original also. Too bad that most mangaka live in their own fantasy world and prefer to write graphic novels for teenagers.

Copying Akira Toriyama's business model, ideas, etc won't make everyone successful at all; copy what he's on to any degree. People cashing in on battle shounen can either make their own stories or get another job.

I am so tired of seeing anime based on second-rate novels making them mediocre overall.

Elon Musk didn't build shit. He is a fraud. The people under him built all that stuff. If you actually investigate Elon's life, you will see that he was very privileged since birth and got very lucky. Tesla was not even his company. Neither was PayPal. Elon hired a lot of smart people, using the bank of mom and dad, and fired all the people that helped him make each business successful...In the case of Tesla, he even managed to get rid of the founders of Tesla. I doubt that Elon can even do calculus. He is a pseudointellectual who has an amazing PR team. His PR team has created this false genius image.
May 8, 2022 2:04 PM

Jan 2019
Verthandi11 said:
Cneq said:
I don't think I can agree with this and as someone who's academic background is so closely tied with information science I believe this focus on "reading" being the only means of knowledge acquisition is antiquated.

Information Technology and the quality of material available online has drastically changed just in the last decade and the amount of seriously high quality audio books/and or audio/visual based lectures [i.e from the great courses] is honestly a miracle and I'm surprised it hasn't caught on for most people yet.

Not to mention when it comes to audio books the run times are set in stone and thus while you may skim through a book too fast by habit [and thus inadvertently fail to cement some of what is written] when it comes to audio formats you are forced to listen to every word and when coupled in a quiet environment with headphones and the same mindset of a student attending a University class I'd say the chance of cementing said knowledge is the same if not higher than if you were to simply read it yourself.

Not to mention most Universities have their material made up of mostly lectures [visual and audio] and while sure there may be a few or quite a few textbooks depending on the nature of your field by and large it is clearly proven lectures do help people to take in knowledge.

And when said lectures are recorded and there is no limit to how many times you can listen/watch them over once again this is easily a replacement for general reading.

When the content is exactly the same just being read aloud/and or the content is ONLY available in audio/visual form [i.e University lectures] by and large it should be taken as seriously as reading and if anything focused on due to the clearly larger breadth of high quality material out there nowadays [which is always increasing] especially when you consider most Universities such as MIT just throw entire old courses up online.
one can get a degree but still remain stupid.

Sad to see a solid argument dismissed with a joke.

Can't blame you for not wanting to engage with Cneq's boring long winded paragraphs, though.

149597871 said:
Reading:

Visual images:

Although some intellectuals will keep saying how "superior" the former is, the majority of sane people would agree that the latter is clearly much easier to understand. In a sense, reading adds an extra step to the process of acquiring information, which is an obvious disadvantage. Of course, by "TV," I don't mean all the vacuous TV programs out there compared to some of the best writers of all time. (Not too mention that this argument can be quickly reversed. A scientific show with Carl Sagan will be better than reading a chapter of Twilight.)

What I'm saying is that all the information you see in a book can be converted into a movie or presentation format, and most of the time, that would only make it more palatable to the human brain.

So no, overall, reading is not required for intelligence.

I agree, but don't you think that the richness and descriptive nature of text also make it somewhat uniquely capable of being detailed? I imagine when we're discussing more complex technical subjects, such as astronomy or genetics, findings will inevitably have to pass through a text-only phase first in order to be abstracted, and only then can people make reliable visual representations or engage with a solid knowledge base around it.

(Though I guess this applies to speech as well, since two people can discuss about a subject as much as they need until a greater understanding is achieved.)

Also, don't you consider that being able to lay down knowledge in this peculiar text format also opens the possibility for one to spend more time thinking about the mechanisms of something, and thus making comparisons or noticing small details that they wouldn't otherwise?

Genuine questions, btw. I don't have a ready answer myself.
May 8, 2022 2:08 PM

Aug 2018
I feel like I am more articulate with my words after reading a book. But it's a temporary effect and soon enough I go back to being a dumbass
May 8, 2022 2:10 PM

Feb 2021
You ain't reached 100% of your brain until you experience what's like to read a hentai light novel...
May 8, 2022 11:00 PM

Oct 2008
It's worth being praised for it. If you've never read something (physical book, online content) it's definitely embarrassing at least.
Personally I'm not much of a book reader, but I did attempt it. Since I failed, I console myself thinking "I just haven't come across a book that's worth me getting invested in.
May 8, 2022 11:20 PM

Aug 2009
I didn't have to read many books to know what a pretentious cunt is.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you ever wish the internet would go back 20 years?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - May 22

42 by traed »»
43 minutes ago

» The captcha doesn't just work for the bots, it also effect people that are drunk or high

tsukareru - 12 hours ago

9 by Hikinekomori »»
57 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again?

KiraraFan - May 7

45 by GinIonSui »»
2 hours ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

809 by zzz »»
2 hours ago

» Do You Trust Anyone?

LenRea - Yesterday

33 by Kiryotsu »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.