Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think immortality would bore you to death?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 18, 2021 7:01 PM

Nov 2011
As opposed to being bored I think I'd be stressed out from having to figure out a way to successfully live life if I'm immortal.

Jul 18, 2021 7:17 PM

Aug 2020
Honestly there is no reason to get bored with the amount of stuff the world has to offer and the amount of things one can do.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Jul 18, 2021 7:24 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah totally
U would need so much money to keep living forever
Like u could never retire u would always need a job
Also when the sun explodes then u would be in a super cold dark place for all of eternity ie there would be no more anime

Jul 18, 2021 11:20 PM

Jan 2021
No, I want immortality gimme that shit
Jul 18, 2021 11:32 PM

Apr 2020
Lolsebca said:
MrSwingingbison said:
No theres just so much to do. You can be a doctor, engineer, stay at home dad, travel. Live in different countries even 100 years, and not to mention things are constantly changing. Life every 200 or so years is extremely different.
So nah

I wouldn't be so sure, if your society declines you're left with surviving in the same ecosystem for generations and generations. Once the planet ends you may burn in the sun, or be cold in the endlessness of space for billions of years while on planets you would remain less time. Basically your only memories will mostly be that of empty space and of slowly drifting...
PERSONALLY:
I would be all for living for longer though, like 1000 more years. Enough to read some books, learn some stuff, create some art and love someone.

Fair point
Everything has an ending at some point
Jul 19, 2021 12:20 PM

May 2021
I never get bored and I can always entertain myself (I can get bored while doing something that I'd specifically consider boring, of course). So, I would definitely want immortality, if it means being eternally young, of course. But I would also want an option of at least being able to kill myself, because while I'm not worried of getting bored, I'm afraid of not being able to handle suffering which is life forever, so I'd want a way out on my terms.
Jul 19, 2021 12:28 PM

Dec 2008
Some billionaires invest in researches to figure out a way to extend their lives as much as possible to the point of immortality. Pathetic.
Jul 20, 2021 6:57 AM
Dec 2017
Stephen_MK said:
I would most probably not be bored. There is always something you can do. Imagine how much stuff you can watch and read, and how many games you can play, and if that is consumed at one point, imagine in how many places you can travel, and other things you can do. Immortality would be something awesome. The only downside is that I will witness the death of my beloved ones.

But what if there was a way you can make your loved ones immortal?

Its happened in fiction where relatives of gods who are mortal do ascend to immortality so there is always a way for that to happen.

Jul 20, 2021 7:41 AM
Dec 2017
Stephen_MK said:
Crow_Black said:

But what if there was a way you can make your loved ones immortal?

Its happened in fiction where relatives of gods who are mortal do ascend to immortality so there is always a way for that to happen.

Then it would be even better. Making my loved ones immortal would be the best thing. But it also depends if they want to be immortal. I can't just make them that way without their consent.

Yeah now that would be a good point to look in as well is that whether or not they want to be imortal.

Jul 20, 2021 3:19 PM

Jan 2021
No and yes???
There’s so much stuff you can do with immortality.
Like change careers and travel and explore the whole world.
Although you would probably outlive your friends, family. Lover, so that wouldn’t be any fun.
Jul 20, 2021 3:26 PM

Jan 2021
it usually doesn't really take much to keep me entertained. just put a sketchbook or laptop in front of me and i'll be good for a couple of hours. and if i ever somehow get tired of that, being immortal will give a lot of opportunity to travel and try new things. i don't like the idea of being immortal though. seeing all my friends and family die is something i don't want to live through.

blockberry creative will pay for its crimes

Jul 20, 2021 3:42 PM

May 2019
NoblePellinore said:
Yeah totally
U would need so much money to keep living forever
Like u could never retire u would always need a job

The smart game plan is to save money in a diversified stock portfolio then live off the capital gains with your wealth put into a nice stock/bond mix thereafter. Infinite retirement woo.
Jul 20, 2021 3:51 PM

Jul 2019
if that Immortal i get it in isekai why not
but if in this world no thank. i just want to life to watch end of anime era

Jul 20, 2021 4:43 PM
Sep 2019
It depends.... Immortality would be great if humans continue to exist and evolve, change, and reach the stars. Immortality would be bad if there is ever an end of the world situation whereby you're the only one left and with no means to change things yourself.

Immortality in the sense that you'll never die....if that is the case, then would you experience the end of the Universe and STILL be conscious? Then that would truly be a curse...b/c if the theory of the Universe's cold death is true - you're gonna be one bored thing for an eternity.
Jul 20, 2021 5:07 PM
Jan 2020
Never dying is scary. Imagine all life ending and being alone and no sun.
inactive
Jul 21, 2021 4:37 PM
Aug 2020
I think yes and no the first one because i imagine after a few centuries of watching people and the world go by i would grow stale of watching it all happen. Also i would be unable to form any long term relationships in any sense without seeing them eventually die.

With the latter no as i would get to watch so much happen and most likely get to eventually travel off world when Human space travel technology has reached that far and explore the stars.
Jul 22, 2021 6:22 AM

Aug 2020
It would probably be ok for a few hundred years since I could change my lifestyles but I would eventually run out of things to do and get bored

Also if everyone on earth dies expect me it would be boring

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Jul 22, 2021 6:39 AM

Apr 2021
yes after a couple hundred. my time perception would probably change and it would be fun to see mortals evolve as if watching a small cage of ants do their stuff. then i can do fun stuff too like idk have them see me as a god and worship me. Do experiments and play with them bc im a horrible person. (as long as they dont tell me their back story cause that would cause pity)

But yea no after that i would probably die from boredom. I can only get enough praise and it will wear off eventually
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Jul 22, 2021 2:21 PM

Aug 2009
Freshell said:
Figuratively speaking, of course. Some people think that it would. I'm not so convinced. Sounds like one of those sour grape justifications. "Yeah, well, I didn't want to live forever anyway!" Personally, I think it's very possible to be indefinitely entertained. How about you?

With the way civilization, technology and entertainment changes all the time I say no I wouldn't grow bored of immortality.
Jul 22, 2021 4:41 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I'd never get bored of seeing humanity's slow, downward spiral. That's a good while of excellent entertainment.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jul 22, 2021 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
The pure bloods in Vampire Knight were very lonely and I don't think I could handle being immortal :)
Jul 22, 2021 6:51 PM
Jul 2018
rohan121 said:
I think an immortal would eventually want the ability to end. People underestimate how long that would be by a ton.

Yeah, immortal means you'll never die. Even assuming the world won't ever end and the heat death of the universe becomes solvable, living 100 trillion years would drive any person insane, and you would eventually live everything that there is to live.

And "100 trillion years" is still nothing compared to the literal eternity that immortality is.
Jul 22, 2021 8:00 PM

Oct 2020
It wouldn't bore me 'cause I would spend all my time trying to figure out how to die.

In this world shrouded in darkness, I learned there was someone who’d been struggling along with me. That alone is enough.

Aug 8, 2021 2:55 PM

Jul 2016
although, to me the idea of immortality is awfully enticing, i don't think i'm the right person to receive it. there's far too much that can go wrong and far too much that will go wrong. i'd also go insane if i see everyone i love and come to love die, while i am forced to continue living with all that i have seen. you can't escape. you cannot even escape by trying to end it yourself. you may be immortal but that doesn't mean you suddenly get a power-up, do you? if someone locks you up because they found out that you are immortal and wish to experiment, you're done for. they can just simply tell their colleagues or successors to lock you up again once they themselves die of old age, no, fk that.

if the human race gets wiped out, am i supposed to hang out with the amoeba? huh? am i?
Aug 8, 2021 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Freshell said:
Bakchos said:
Depends. Do I keep aging or does aging stop? Not much to do when I cannot think right.
The aging stops. I'll also throw in that you somehow avoid all disasters that would make eternal life miserable, like being around when the sun dies.

Now that I have these conditions, I can definitely say that I wouldn’t get bored with immortality. The amount of experiences to have and things to learn is infinite, and I would love to have more time to experience it all.
Aug 8, 2021 3:36 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
Being immortal would be like my worst Dream come true , im already pretty bored rn. Being immortal would just take out all meaning out of my life , i would completely loose all motivation since i can do it whenever i want and so on . In short , id hate it

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Aug 8, 2021 3:39 PM

Nov 2008
I'd love to be immortal. The people who are against it always use the ridiculous, cartoonish version of immortality, where even a supernova can't kill you.

Aug 8, 2021 3:40 PM

Nov 2008
--ALEX-- said:
In various works of Fiction, immortality is actually shown to be a CURSE....not a blessing.

A curse of never being able to age.

The curse of watching your loved ones die as you stay behind.

Trust me, this would be a torturous existence.

Meh. I barely speak to my family anyway.

Aug 8, 2021 5:56 PM
Mar 2020
The idea of immortality sounds nice but once you get all the diseases and health issues and still be alive it would be pretty miserable
Aug 8, 2021 6:11 PM

Jul 2010
There would be only so much time before the gov realize what you are and vivisect you.

Aug 8, 2021 6:19 PM

Jul 2016
Ezekiel said:
I'd love to be immortal. The people who are against it always use the ridiculous, cartoonish version of immortality, where even a supernova can't kill you.
you say that, but ironically you too are assuming that you will be able to die when given immortality. who knows what kind of immortality can be achieved by humans, and because there is no such known immortality achieved by humans yet that we can base it off of, the people that have replied in disagreeing with wanting immortality in this thread are going off of the OP's rules of immortality (as they said, avoiding all disasters). the very idea of immortality in humans is fictitious, thus there are no grounds to bar people from suggesting a more extreme version of what they consider as immortality.
Aug 8, 2021 6:20 PM
Oct 2018
Here’s a better way of being immortal: Sleep for 100 years, wake up and observe the world for a year or two - go back to sleep for 100 years… repeat. I think this’ll make it less boring.
--
Aug 8, 2021 8:23 PM

May 2013
Probably unless there are other new forms of entertainment to supplement current forms of entertainment. Imagine being immortal since the middle ages without modern technology.

Aug 8, 2021 9:27 PM

Oct 2020
It would be scarier than boring knowing that our world or even the universe isn't everlasting.
Aug 8, 2021 9:52 PM

Jan 2017
I believe everyone here is thinking too simply about being immortal. You want to travel the world? There is only so much to explore. You want to do achieve all of the things you set your mind to with no time limit like becoming a doctor/engineer/parent? You aren't even living to your fullest potential now as you lurk on a random forum post on an anime website. What makes you think you would change as a person just because you are given more time? You want to consume every piece of media to exist? Do you honestly think that you will be able to watch these things without noticing all of the tropes and predictable plotlines that merge together until you can't even enjoy it because you have seen it done better on 50 other shows. That is if you even remember what you have previously watched as your memory makes everything blur together until what you watched yesterday is indistinguishable from what you watched 50 years ago.
If you really want to beat boredom you have to look at what the current immortals are doing: going to high school. After a few years you should be able to ace any course you take after completing it multiple times before (except maybe a current events class) so you can just immerse yourself into the high school atmosphere. Become a high school student in spirit, just not in the flesh. A very intimate LARPing session. The main difficulty would be having to constantly switch schools so that no one finds out your secret. If you do not have immortal friends already, this may be a good way to find some. A chance encounter could find you transferring again and again with another immortal and you could become friends that way. Do not make friends with mortals because you would ultimately have to leave them behind as you transfer schools.

Until you meet that one special girl. Different from other mortals. You fall in love with her and become conflicted because you live two completely different lives in two completely different worlds. What do you do? Make her immortal too. Boom that is how you stay entertained forever as an immortal.
Aug 9, 2021 12:02 AM

Jul 2016
Fourhundr said:
If you really want to beat boredom you have to look at what the current immortals are doing: going to high school. After a few years you should be able to ace any course you take after completing it multiple times before (except maybe a current events class) so you can just immerse yourself into the high school atmosphere. Become a high school student in spirit, just not in the flesh. A very intimate LARPing session. The main difficulty would be having to constantly switch schools so that no one finds out your secret. If you do not have immortal friends already, this may be a good way to find some. A chance encounter could find you transferring again and again with another immortal and you could become friends that way. Do not make friends with mortals because you would ultimately have to leave them behind as you transfer schools.

Until you meet that one special girl. Different from other mortals. You fall in love with her and become conflicted because you live two completely different lives in two completely different worlds. What do you do? Make her immortal too. Boom that is how you stay entertained forever as an immortal.
and that is how twilight was born, everyone. *stands up and starts clapping*
Aug 9, 2021 8:29 AM

Jan 2014
I think it would send me into a spiral of pain and depression seeing everyone I care and love pass away and in turn I wouldn't want to do anything so yes it would be extremely boring lmao.
β˜†γƒ»γ€‚γƒ»γ€‚β˜†γƒ»(* Ν‘° ΝœΚ– Ν‘°) ~Aphotic β˜†γƒ»γ€‚γƒ»γ€‚β˜†γƒ»γ‚œ
Aug 24, 2021 7:03 AM

May 2021
yes, because im already bored asf of everything and could hardly commit to anything.

if I end up with that ability I would probably sleep for the rest of my life because it's better than suffering.

Aug 24, 2021 7:24 AM

Aug 2009
I think my Steam library alone could get me though it.

Aug 24, 2021 11:36 PM

Aug 2020
Well if we are talking about being immortal for 1000-2000 years , I would willingly like to but forever? Nahh that would indeed be too boring
Aug 25, 2021 9:26 AM

Jul 2017
Most people in their 70’s and 80’s look like they’ve grown bored of life, so I can’t imagine how boring it would be if people were immortal. I think Neil DeGrasse Tyson said it best: “It is the knowledge that I am going to die that creates the focus that I bring to being alive. The urgency of accomplishment. The need to express love — now, not later. If we live forever, why even get out of bed in the morning? Because we always have tomorrow. That's not the type of life I want to lead."
Aug 27, 2021 6:19 AM

Aug 2021
If I was immortal, I'd probably want to go everywhere and see everything. Then again, being immortal would bring a whole slew of problems, like the age-old "immortality ≠ infinite youth" dilemma or the small issue of roaming the planet for another 4.5 billion years until the Sun turns into a red giant and quite literally blows the Earth apart.

Probably the most horrible fate would be if even the Sun's death didn't kill you.

Imagine it.

Sitting there, alone in a dead Universe, for trillions upon trillions upon trillions of years, so far in the future that there are nothing but stars, that there is no light, only an everlasting void. There would never be anything. For trillions of years, you quite literally would never be able to die until the Universe itself dies (which, based on current scientific understanding, will never happen).

And if the Universe itself doesn't die, you wouldn't die. You would have lived for trillions of years, day after day, minute after minute, alone in an empty Universe where nothing has happened and nothing will ever happen again.

Holy crap. Writing this answer gave me genuine chills. I can't imagine a life like that. I'd probably go insane after everyone else around me dies and there's no one to talk to. We as a species need social interaction.

----

Edit:
Corleone said:
There would be only so much time before the gov realize what [you are and vivisect you.

Problem is, even if you are vivisected, you'd be alive to witness it and you'd be alive through the whole procedure. I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone, unless being immortal also meant you wouldn't feel pain at the same time.
Nolo contendere.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » What is your favorite condiment to put on a sandwich/burger?

TheBlockernator - Feb 12, 2022

38 by Daviljoe193 »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you have any weird or mild medical conditions?

Mualani - Today

20 by Noboru »»
11 minutes ago

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships?

Amityblight - 2 hours ago

12 by Sad »»
43 minutes ago

Poll: » Should prisons be comfy?

Auron_ - 5 hours ago

15 by Sad »»
57 minutes ago

» good songs?

Haikyuu_ForLife - 2 hours ago

4 by Zettaiken »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.