Forum Settings
Forums

Do You Even Watch Anime For Entertainment Anymore?

New
Do You Even Watch Anime For Entertainment Anymore?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 8, 2020 7:55 AM
Dec 2020
For me, viewing anime as one of the types of recreation. It's hard to call it entertainment, because I love watching anime alone and enjoy the process.
Dec 8, 2020 8:01 AM

Jul 2020
Yes, I don't have that many other means of entertainment, so I resort to anime.
Dec 8, 2020 8:07 AM

Feb 2020
I am a partial completionists. Unless, the anime is really really bothersome i wont drop it.
No, its not because its a job or bragging something like that.
Its because there are many anime which gets really enjoyable in latter episode/ season compared to initial episode/ season. This has happened to me a lot. Even their are some anime which I have dropped turned out to be fun when I watched it latter on.
So Its still all about enjoyment.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Dec 8, 2020 8:10 AM

Apr 2020
I only watch for enjoyment, that's the main reason my list will take a long time to reach 200 anime. I respect completionist people, but that's nor for me.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
Dec 8, 2020 8:21 AM

May 2020
I don't drop anime unless its unbearable to get through. I've only dropped one so far and I do eventually plan to finish it. As for why I don't drop anime, I just really don't like leaving things unfinished in general. Not really a great reason for wasting my time but I wasn't planning on doing anything else with that time so it works out fine.

I do watch anime for entertainment. It's just that not everything I pick ends up being enjoyable.
TitanInsaneDec 8, 2020 8:26 AM
Dec 8, 2020 8:24 AM

Oct 2020
It's mainly for entertainment but there are a couple anime on my list that I just forced myself to complete even though they were so hard to watch just because sometimes I like to finish what I start a lot of my dropped anime will probably be picked up again sometime though.
Dec 8, 2020 8:30 AM

May 2018
Hardcore fans? Completionists? Promiscuous shiteaters with insecurity they are.
Dropping and putting things on hold is essential and is a sign of maturity. That points out that a person does have their own taste.

Dec 8, 2020 9:06 AM
Dec 2020
It's a complicated question whether anime is entertainment for me. I love watching anime and I like to share my emotions with my friends. We often watch anime together and eat popcorn after school. This process takes an insane amount of time and very often we don't have time to do our schoolwork. Since we have been studying for more than a year, we know about this site https://writingbros.com/essay-examples/entertainment/ , which we very often use when writing essays and other materials. After watching another anime, I found examples of entertainment essay on this site that I used in my homework. Despite the many nuances, watching anime is a fun pastime for me, and I'm glad for it.
AmyGregoryDec 18, 2020 3:36 AM
Dec 8, 2020 9:08 AM
Dec 2013
A ton of self-hating people around here it seems. Watching something you fo not enjoy just for completion is cray-cray and a symptom of something mentally unstable.
Dec 8, 2020 9:20 AM

Nov 2016
Sounds like some of the people on these romcom manga comment section like domekano or kanokari that spend their entire time shitting on them yet can never seem to miss a single update, I personally could never imagine.
Dec 8, 2020 9:30 AM

Apr 2017
Unless you're a paid critic the only reason to watch anime is for entertainment.
Unpaid critics may or may not watch anime for entertainment but they are entertained by their commentary, or the reception it receives, otherwise they wouldn't be putting in any work.

In summary, those that watch anime seek to be entertained, whether or not that is achieved doesn't negate their primary motivation.
Not too many people actually set out watching something and say to themselves before even starting "this is crap, I'm really going to hate this" and press play, besides the masochists.

Dec 8, 2020 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
idk why else i would watch anime for, if not for entertainment and to enjoy a show
Dec 8, 2020 1:42 PM

Sep 2008
I only watch them for entertainment. I've dropped about 1/10 of the shows I've started. I'm a patient guy and hope things will turn out better, but even I have limits.
if a show bores me that much or downright offends me, it goes into the trash. no remorse.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Dec 8, 2020 1:45 PM
May 2020
It's not even "anymore", it's always has been for entertainment. I'm not watching anime because tomorrow there will be a test about anime or something
Dec 8, 2020 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
Lustrius said:
The longer i've been in this community, the more i see hardcore fans and what you'll call "completionists" where they never ever drop an anime. As time goes on, I wonder, do people even watch anime for entertainment anymore? What i mean by that is how some might not even watch anime for entertainment or to past the time, but rather as an obligation or "job", if that's a good example. I've seen so many people on Mal torturing themselves and forcing themselves to watch shit shows they don't even enjoy, complaining about it, yet never drop it for whatever reason, which is just so bizarre to me.

It's not like i'm trying to ridicule these types of people nor am i that annoyed of them but i'm just trying to understand what's the point of wasting your time? You could be doing anything else with your life but instead, decide to watch shit shows you don't even enjoy like it's your job or something. Why? Is it fun? Because i highly doubt that as i've seen so many of these people complaining about the show after watching it, then proceed to brag about it as if it's cool or something.

I typically drop shows that don't interest me. Based on the explanations I've been given, those people who are "completionists" typically watch the whole series through because they want to give the show a chance before judging them prematurely. It seems like these types of people on MAL typically rate shows from movie critic perspective. But that's not how I judge anime. I can't base my ratings on the aspects that people like or dislike about a show since I may have my own likes or dislikes about it. A person's experience with an anime is subjective. Someone else can find more positives with an anime series than someone else who may completely hate it for certain aspects about it.
Dec 8, 2020 2:01 PM

May 2018
"Do You Even Watch Anime For Entertainment Anymore?"

Nope, I am doing it for the money, the fame and the groupies.
Wait, I don't have any of those.
Dec 8, 2020 2:03 PM

Jul 2016
I watch anime because I like some animes, and I generally have nothing to do, so it gives me something to do.
Dec 8, 2020 2:04 PM
Jul 2018
Lustrius said:
The longer i've been in this community, the more i see hardcore fans and what you'll call "completionists" where they never ever drop an anime. As time goes on, I wonder, do people even watch anime for entertainment anymore? What i mean by that is how some might not even watch anime for entertainment or to past the time, but rather as an obligation or "job", if that's a good example. I've seen so many people on Mal torturing themselves and forcing themselves to watch shit shows they don't even enjoy, complaining about it, yet never drop it for whatever reason, which is just so bizarre to me.

Aah, those completionists, I wish I could relate haha. Ah no, wait, I don't want to relate. I don't understand people, who are so ambitious about completing a certain amount of anime, like... who even really cares what you have seen or not? Watching anime or reading manga is something you only do for yourself and it shouldn't feel like a chore.

But I also wouldn't say it's just for entertainment. To me, fiction always has been a very important part of my life and not just entertainment, you know. Ofc some people in real life and so on are more important to me, but it's still very important to me, not only as entertainment or to kill time.
removed-userDec 8, 2020 2:07 PM
Dec 8, 2020 2:19 PM

May 2018
I do watch things that I'm not exactly enjoying sometimes. Either as a background as I do other stuff or because I'm curious about a new genre or style and want to give it a fair try. Sometimes I watch because some parts are exciting and I want to know more that I'm willing to sit through less exciting parts.

The latter is what I'm currently doing. I'm watching Fruits Basket although I don't particularly like shoujo (not that it's bad, I'm just not the target audience). I have watched all of season 1 and now watching season 2 just for the tidbits that advance the zodiac family plot. I'm willing to sit through the cliched saccharine parts and put up with the kind of character I hate (the clumsy cute airhead who is always cheerful and nice to everyone) to see the better parts. I have it running while I'm working on other hobbies or doing light work, so it's not exactly a complete waste of time. Code Geas was another example. My eyes glazed over during mecha fights which made up a good portion of the show, but I loved most of the other parts and really liked the ending so it was really worth it.
amusedmonkeyDec 8, 2020 2:24 PM
Dec 8, 2020 3:54 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Yes, for the most part, but too often lately I've been catching myself just watching an anime with little more than the sake of just finishing it to form an opinion on it and to become just slightly more well versed in the world of anime. Told myself that I'd probably just be a casual viewer for life, but lately it hasn't been that casual. I'm trying to take it more easy now and just watch when I want to, rather than forcing myself to power something that maybe I'm not even digging

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 8, 2020 4:01 PM
Jul 2017
I do watch anime for entertainment as I am very passionate about it. In recent days, I have felt that Myanimelist as a medium has been a sort of hindrance when it comes to my anime experience, but I can still handle it
Dec 8, 2020 4:09 PM

Sep 2020
I DO IT FOR DAT WATCH TIME BOIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Dec 8, 2020 9:54 PM
May 2018
Usually I'm doing stuff while I have anime on. I just need to multitask. Im also the kind of person where if I'm deep enough in whether a game, food, or show I feel like I've gotta it least finish it. Alot of people on here though definitely dont seem to be doing it for fun though. Like when people say they want to watch every show. That cant be fun compared to doing anything else in life. Power to them for trying I guess but I'm sure they'd be happier in life doing something else.
Dec 8, 2020 11:29 PM

Sep 2007
Vendea said:
Eventhough I still hardly ever drop a show, I still take it as entertainment. For me, even shitty show are experience and they make me appreciate good shows even more. Do I suffer? Yes. But sometimes it can be rewarding, I've been finding lately that mana shows get better in the second half so it's worth a wait. And if not... well, no loss. It just helps me be more careful when picking what to watch next.

Pretty much the same here as I try to enjoy them for what they are.
Dec 8, 2020 11:33 PM

Dec 2012
I only watch anime to accompany me eat something lately..so what is that called?
Dec 8, 2020 11:48 PM
Jul 2018
I have a lot of free time. That's because. Currently, I'm rewatching a lot of anime that I like. But after this, I'm back to watching and completing bad anime again...

How do you know if something is "good" without knowing what is "bad"?

Why do you think something is "good"? Because you compare it to something "bad".

I enjoy anime a lot. I'm telling you. And I have watched bad ones while never dropping.
Dec 9, 2020 12:27 AM

Jul 2012
I definitely watch anime for entertainment but it's no longer the center of it.

Nowadays I just watch anime when I feel like it and drop a show when I'm not enjoying it, as opposed to the earlier days when I tried to complete every series I started.
Dec 9, 2020 12:35 AM

Apr 2020
always entertainment. i only watch things that really interest me. and yeah i dont get "completionists" either but ig Its an optimistic view for the show eventually getting better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 9, 2020 12:51 AM

Oct 2013
That's what boredom and a lack of anything else decent to watch will do to you..Or at least that how it was for me when I first started watching...Before I realized that I don't actually have to finish everything I watch or watch literally everything that caught my attention. Too bad I was already several hundred anime in by then and had pretty much conditioned myself to finish everything.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why are prudes trying to censor anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 54 minutes ago

16 by PeripheralVision »»
5 seconds ago

» Since anime fans today are weaklings and easily triggered, if Berserk were to be adapted properly today, do you think it would receive many complains? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - May 17

53 by ForgotEyeWasHere »»
5 minutes ago

» Romance anime with wheelchair girl

ZakuF_ - 31 minutes ago

3 by ZakuF_ »»
19 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

157 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
22 minutes ago

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - Yesterday

45 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.