Forum Settings
Forums

'Sidonia no Kishi' Gets New Anime Film for 2021

New
Jul 2, 2020 9:37 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
The official website of the Sidonia no Kishi (Knights of Sidonia) anime series announced a new anime film on Friday. The film, titled Sidonia no Kishi: Ai Tsumugu Hoshi, will premiere in 2021. The website also revealed staff members, a key visual (pictured), and trailer.

The film will feature contents different from the original manga by Tsutomu Nihei with a new story. Nihei is supervising the film. Cast members are reprising from the previous anime installments.

Staff
Chief Director: Hiroyuki Seshita (Ajin)
Director: Tadahiro Yoshihira (Kuutei Dragons)
Script: Sadayuki Murai (Sidonia no Kishi), Tetsuya Yamada (Godzilla: Kaijuu Wakusei)
Animation Director: Reiji Nagazono (Blame! Movie)
CG Supervision: Takuma Ishibashi (Human Lost: Ningen Shikkaku), Masayuki Uemoto (Godzilla trilogy)
Art Director: Mitsunori Kataama (Sidonia no Kishi: Daikyuu Wakusei Seneki), Mitsuo Yoshino (Hirune Hime: Shiranai Watashi no Monogatari assistant art director)
Color Design: Hironori Noji (Nami yo Kiitekure)
Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami (Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System trilogy)
Music: Shuji Katayama (Youjo Senki)
Music Production: King Records
Production Design: Naoya Tanaka (Levius)
Distribution: KlockWorx
Studio: Polygon Pictures

J-pop band CAPSULE will perform the theme and insert songs. The trailer previews the insert song "Utsusemi." Music producer Yasutaka Nakata wrote and composed the songs.

Sidonia no Kishi was first adapted into a 12-episode television anime in Spring 2014, which was followed by a second season the following Spring. A compilation film of the first season featuring new scenes opened in Japan in March 2015. Netflix streamed the anime seasons after they finished airing in Japan.

The sci-fi space action manga ran in Afternoon magazine from April 2009 to September 2015. Kodansha compiled the manga in 15 volumes. Vertical published all 15 volumes in English between February 2013 and April 2016.

Sentai Filmworks licensed the anime series in North America and released the first season in June 2015 and the second season including the film in November 2016.

Trailer

Source: Comic Natalie

Sidonia no Kishi: Ai Tsumugu Hoshi on MAL
VindstotJul 3, 2020 12:51 AM

Jul 2, 2020 9:46 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Right, so it’s not a Season 3 after all.

Welp, for my case, I still have to binge Seasons 1 and 2 so it doesn’t really matter all that much.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 2, 2020 10:08 PM

Mar 2012
So they are going anime original end? or this is just a side project till it comes?

Well at least something is coming out after years being in the dark.
Jul 2, 2020 10:22 PM
Jul 2017
Wow I thought this was either dead or a mistake in the MAL database. Glad to see some sort of continuation!
Jul 2, 2020 10:43 PM

Jun 2016
so the franchise is not dead that's nice
>no angela
cmon guys..
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 2, 2020 10:46 PM

Feb 2015
That's a nice poster.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jul 2, 2020 10:50 PM

Jul 2016
Kek. The movie before the 3rd season? Where is my 3rd season.

Jul 2, 2020 11:52 PM

Apr 2018
About damn time we got finally got something. The manga ended years ago, so i dunno why they've stalled so much to finish the anime.

My question is: is this gonna be a recap movie in preparation for a future Season 3, or are they gonna wrap the whole story up with this movie?
Jul 3, 2020 3:32 AM

Nov 2019
Too bad they ruined the show through desperate attempts of appealing to the core demographic.
Jul 3, 2020 3:36 AM

Mar 2012
this_shit_again said:
Too bad they ruined the show through desperate attempts of appealing to the core demographic.

What did they do exactly than?
Jul 3, 2020 3:42 AM

Aug 2008
Didn't second season completely shit itself with filler ending?
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 3, 2020 4:08 AM

Nov 2019
-ShadowClaw- said:
this_shit_again said:

What did they do exactly than?

If I remember correctly, it went from space opera with mecha to cloned sister harem.
Jul 3, 2020 6:09 AM

Jul 2019
I normally don’t have too much of a problem with CGI, but IMO this series would have been much better if it had been animated 2D.
Jul 3, 2020 7:49 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
So this is the ever so long awaited sequel huh..
Jul 3, 2020 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
Hope, they hire angela for this. Without her songs, SnK is not as epic.
Jul 3, 2020 10:02 AM

Jul 2019
Aragusuku said:
PerfectAzul said:
I normally don’t have too much of a problem with CGI, but IMO this series would have been much better if it had been animated 2D.

I don't think so. I believe it fits with the sci-fi aesthetics and its not that different from the manga visually speaking

I have no problem with the action scenes and such being CGI. But I found the CGI in the other parts of the show very awkward. For example, I couldn’t deal with how goofy it was to have Tsumugi in 3D. I also remember having a hard time telling the characters apart at the beginning of the show.

Of course in the end it’s up to personal preference.
Jul 3, 2020 10:08 AM

Jul 2019
Aragusuku said:
Oh I had this problem too... It was hard af to tell them apart (specially with 12 identical sisters), but it didn't bother me that much

Telling those sisters apart is a lost cause ahaha—I don’t think a 2D Knights of Sidonia would have solved anything there.
Jul 3, 2020 11:16 AM

Jul 2019
Aragusuku said:
.. are we using the same character as avatar?

I don’t think so. The character I’m using is Renge from Non Non Biyori. Hbu?
Jul 4, 2020 8:15 AM
Sep 2016
Where is season 3 :/
Jul 4, 2020 12:19 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
At this point, getting any new announcement is already good enough for me... it will probably be an original plot meant to capture viewers back in hopes for an S3.

Hope I m not being too naive.
Jul 8, 2020 8:57 PM

Jun 2009
Playcool said:
At this point, getting any new announcement is already good enough for me... it will probably be an original plot meant to capture viewers back in hopes for an S3.

Hope I m not being too naive.

Pretty much all the scenes in the trailer are from the last arc in the manga, so looks like they're trying to fit 46% of the manga into one two hour film (or more likely just skipping straight to the final arc).

We've been waiting three years since the announcement, and when I saw S3 was going to be a film I went ahead and read the manga. I'd recommend anyone who wants to experience the full story do the same.
Jul 12, 2020 3:05 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I already intended to read the manga eventually.

But I heard that due to how weird with the designs this manga can go for, some stuff actually get really hard to differentiate from one another, which is kinda a downer.

I already know about the ending of the manga from way back, so it is not like I m dying to read it right away either.
Jul 12, 2020 4:54 AM

Dec 2010
Whoops, I missed this. And right after I completely gave up on getting the sequel. Well, I guess it's not even a sequel, but it is a proof that the producers believe in the success of the franchise, so why wouldn't we get Season 3 after all?

Also, this being an original story means characters can start dying again after the peaceful S2, right? Lol.

More topics from this board

» 'NEET Kunoichi to Nazeka Dousei Hajimemashita' Announces Additional Cast for Winter 2025

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by ryoko6 »»
1 hour ago

» Video Game 'Guilty Gear: Strive' Gets TV Anime

DatRandomDude - 3 hours ago

10 by simonitro »»
1 hour ago

» Studio Bind Adapts 'Hana wa Saku, Shura no Gotoku' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - Jun 12

47 by deg »»
2 hours ago

» 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets Second Anime Season

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

17 by tragedydesu »»
9 hours ago

» Bones Produces 'Gachiakuta' TV Anime Adaptation for 2025

Vindstot - Jun 12

20 by Haneken2086 »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.