Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jan 12, 2020 2:41 AM

Oct 2015
The first episode was great.
It was interesting and pretty clear as a start to the story. The introduction of the characters was nice too.
We could notice a real evolution in the visuals since PMMM, and it still has the same artistic uniqueness as PMMM had.
As for the opening, it was great to see references to the opening of PMMM, and it's really cute ! (also I'm glad to know the Holy Quintet will definitely appear in the anime)
Jan 12, 2020 1:15 PM
Dec 2018
Homurice said:
The first episode was great.

It was great indeed. Also, cool username.
Jan 13, 2020 3:28 AM

Oct 2007
so glad this is back. Hearing Claris and Yuki Kajiura music again!

nice, they saved the girl's pet cat from the train witch.

Iroha is really mysterious. Why her sister disappear?

They encounter the train witch again, then I'm surprised a very strong witch from Kamihama appear and easily kill the train witch. First time to see a witch kill another one of it's own kind. They are saved by a tiny Kyubey and a strong magical girl. Plenty of surprises just on the first episode. :)

Jan 14, 2020 9:07 PM

Aug 2007
Sondfer said:
I wonder if the beginning of the episode (two narrating girls) might be a reference to Utena (panel before ED seems to confirm it?).
Also - seems despite all their problems, Shaft still got it (maybe because original director is here?).
My guess - Tamaki's sister was turning into a witch, and since it's not possible to get someone back, Kyuubei just erased/moved to another realm.

It wouldn't be the only Utena-inspired moment either, the birds on their perches and the way they seemed to move as if on cue was very reminiscent of Utena as well. Keeping the lead as a pink haired character also helped in firming the relationship as did the ED and the blank faced people.

I am now imaging A-Ko, B-Ko and C-ko as witches. They'd eat Akio alive.
Jan 14, 2020 10:24 PM
Feb 2015
Exactly what I needed while I wait for Heaven's Fell III
Jan 15, 2020 9:51 PM
Jul 2012
AdrianRubinsky said:
This is the one of the few watchable series this season. Winter 2020 is probably gonna end up being one of the worst Winter in years.

Ishuzoku Reviewers is a highlight for me, and ive seen a few others that seem promising. 2020 is certainly a weird year for anime so far, but there are some decent gems so far.
Jan 17, 2020 5:51 AM

Aug 2007
Finally I got to see this episode. Aww... hearing some of the music of the original sereis makes me feell a bit sad. Well, no. With nostalgia. I want to re watch Madoka Magica again (No matter that I have watched it about 5 or 6 times!)
Jan 20, 2020 4:59 PM
Jan 2017
uhhhh didn't Madoka like got rid of witches by changing the universe rules?
How is there still witches? I need explanation if this is bring up in the game plz
Jan 22, 2020 3:29 PM

Nov 2016
honestly, i really dont know what to think. i definitely liked that more than i thought i was going to, but i still think that the characters and their magical girl outfits arent nearly as well designed as the original. where are the cutesy ruffled shojo dresses?? they all look like jrpg characters rather than magical girls to me. that might be the aesthetic of this spin off, but if so it's not nearly as good. i probably shouldnt expect this to be even remotely as good as pmmm though, so trying to keep my expectations low.
really appreciated that they used some of the old OST and the labyrinths in this episode were cool. it's shaft, so no surprise that the show looks great and is animated very well. hoping that this is gonna grow on me more as i keep watching.
tamagolordJan 22, 2020 3:35 PM
Jan 23, 2020 9:52 AM

Jul 2009
Iroha reminds me of Madoka, and Yachiyo have a Homura's vibe...guess it was the intention...
Jan 24, 2020 2:32 PM
Jan 2016
This might be the best place to ask a question. Does anybody here know the name of the piano BGM that plays in Ep1,2,3. I searched everywhere, but couldn't find anything. It sounds really familiar, maybe it was used in the original show, though I'm not sure.
Time codes.
Ep1 - 7:40-9:25
Ep2 - 14:05-16:25
Ep3 - 02:50-04:40

I hope somebody knows.
Jan 25, 2020 2:33 PM

May 2015
Very interesting start. Im surprised she started remembering her wish immedietly. I thought it would be like Madoka Magica with Homura where we dont learn about it till the end. It'll be interesting to find out what happend to her sister.

I hope we get some yuri stuff from the main two. They're already basically Homura and Madoka 2.0s with the black and pink colour schemes and their personalities being pretty dam similar so hope we see some nice scenes between the two.

Im guessing this is set before or during the original Madoka Magica since the Witches are still a thing.

I like the main character, shes cute.

But DAAAAAAM that art style looks amazing. I always loved the Madoka Magica art style but they've really managed to improve it tons here with the shadows and stuff. Some of those shots of the main two looked stunning.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2020 2:35 PM

May 2015
bittersweetlove said:
Iroha reminds me of Madoka, and Yachiyo have a Homura's vibe...guess it was the intention...

There is no way they didnt know what they were doing lol. I loved Madoka and Homura so Im happy to see they're somewhat similar.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 28, 2020 10:25 AM

Jul 2009
DarknessReality said:
bittersweetlove said:

There is no way they didnt know what they were doing lol. I loved Madoka and Homura so Im happy to see they're somewhat similar.

Hahaha, sure, I also love them, so I am happy
Jan 29, 2020 6:25 PM

Apr 2015
Design repetitivo, o mundo não combina com a época proposta, pouco criativo até o momento, aspecto dark pouco natural, resumindo, um péssimo começo.
Feb 12, 2020 11:37 AM

Dec 2013
I"M SO FREAKING ON THIS! Feels like I've been waiting for some more Madoka Magica forever. Even if it's just a side story it definitely feels like the same world and the new characters seem pretty cool.
Mar 2, 2020 10:28 AM

Nov 2017
Not really sure where this is going. I don't know if they really sold me.

1. There are no yuri vibes
2. We don't get Shaft
3. We don't get Urobuchi writing
4. The characters are blah
5. Not much is happening

Well, that's one way to cash in on another's success. I could use a Shaft classic right now.
Mar 2, 2020 10:58 AM
Dec 2019
DarkInsomnia57 said:

2. We don't get Shaft
5. Not much is happening

Well, that's one way to cash in on another's success. I could use a Shaft classic right now.

It's Shaft.
But I am ok with you (except for characters, I think Rena and Futaba are ok), I think that the problem is that they took people that is a lot more specialized in animation than in scenario(gekidan inu curry). But I don't know if, as you seem to say, their intentions were that bad (they made it just for cash)
Mar 2, 2020 12:36 PM
Dec 2018
houlouk said:

It's Shaft.
But I am ok with you (except for characters, I think Rena and Futaba are ok), I think that the problem is that they took people that is a lot more specialized in animation than in scenario(gekidan inu curry). But I don't know if, as you seem to say, their intentions were that bad (they made it just for cash)

Actually they already made cash from the game. The anime is more of a an advertisement (for even more cash). The ending is set in stones and there's a limit to how much they can rewrite the story. At this point I don't think they'll even adapt the full story of 1st arc. But still I welcome the changes and don't think they could have done better if they did it some other way.
Mar 2, 2020 4:25 PM

Nov 2017
houlouk said:
DarkInsomnia57 said:

2. We don't get Shaft
5. Not much is happening

It's Shaft.

Now that I know it's Shaft I'm even more confused. Must be a different director?

The quality doesn't seem to be the same.
Mar 2, 2020 5:31 PM

Mar 2013
The director for the series is Doroinu(the guy who did the witch and labyrinth design in the original anime). He's pretty involved with the game, but this is his first time directing an anime.
Apr 3, 2020 9:08 AM
Oct 2019
tamagolord said:
but i still think that the characters and their magical girl outfits arent nearly as well designed as the original. where are the cutesy ruffled shojo dresses??

Bruh I think it's good for Ume-sensei to explore different styles, those character designs are cute nonetheless, I think the magical girl designs here are as good as the ones in PMMM, some are even better (like Rena's).
Apr 6, 2020 6:27 PM

Nov 2016
Magicraft79 said:
tamagolord said:
but i still think that the characters and their magical girl outfits arent nearly as well designed as the original. where are the cutesy ruffled shojo dresses??

Bruh I think it's good for Ume-sensei to explore different styles, those character designs are cute nonetheless, I think the magical girl designs here are as good as the ones in PMMM, some are even better (like Rena's).

yeah, i understand wanting to try new styles, i just think that the overall designs of their outfits could have been better. especially iroha's, i think that hers is honestly one of the worst designs overall. maybe it's just because i'm not a huge fan of the genre, but to me they look like generic over designed isekai characters. that's just my opinion tho, some of the designs are pretty okay, but as a magical girl fan, i wanted to see some 90s ruffles and big hair bows lol.
i do agree that rena out of all the new pmmm girls has the best design, but i still stand by the original having far superior character design.
tamagolordApr 6, 2020 6:31 PM
Apr 9, 2020 8:29 PM

Mar 2013
The new designs being less than satisfactory probably has to do with how many were designed at once - the original PMMM only had five girls, while the game had Aoki Ume design about twice that from the beginning(the Mikazuki girls, KMR, the Magius, Ui and a few others). She may have also had more time to design the original cast.
Apr 11, 2020 9:33 PM
Apr 2017
Well we have Sana, Rena, Touka, Mitama and their frilly outfits, but not every magical girl outfit has to be frilly, even the outfits of Holy Quintet aren't so frilly except for Madoka's, and there shouldn't be any problem with that. It's good to explore beyond what's normal, if Ume-sensei had stuck with designing frilly costumes, wouldn't the designs be repetitive? That's why she decided to introduce new elements like hoodies and jumpsuits and fishnet stockings.
Apr 12, 2020 7:56 PM
Jun 2016
I've rewatched the Madoka Magica movie trilogy in preparation for this, along with waiting for all episodes to have aired already. Anyways, I'll try to predict a few things and state my first impressions. Btw, I'm an anime-only person so my impressions would mostly not take into account the games, manga, etc.

Iroha and Kuroe might be the Madoka and Homura of this story, or not really. I mean, mostly saying this since of the shared colour contrast (pink magical girl and a dark one). Also, Iroha has a kind heart like Madoka. Oh, and there's also blue girl. Since she's blue, she'd be Sayaka. But saved the two, what I assume to be, main characters. Similar to Mami saving Madoka and Sayaka. Turns out she's territorial like Kyouko. Dunno, I just like connecting things. Lol. At least she's "friendly" enough to give away the grief seeds.

It's nice that this spin-off (gaiden translates to that, btw) is already expanding on the main series. Having what I assume new soundtrack while still reusing the music we know and love. And it seems like it'll be exploring the territorial nature of some magical girls? I mean, I remember Kyuubei in the main series saying that the girls tend to have places that they consider under their jurisdiction (if not saying straight up that they're territorial). And we see that being proved by Kyouko, who is not happy with the potential competition of Sayaka.

When the witch/labyrinth kidnapped the duo from the train, it seems like it another entity killed it. I was thinking it could been a similar case to Oktavia? As in a witch being controlled by a magical girl (i.e. Sayaka was able to control Oktavia in Rebellion). Turns out I was wrong about that and it's just two witches.

I'm already suspicious of "baby Kyuubei." Although I'm thinking it would be a nice change of pace if it turns out it's not "evil"? I mean, Kyuubei is the antagonist of the original Madoka series. It's natural to think that baby Kyuubei would be as well. And with that, I think the writers could possibly go for it being not "evil"? Since Madoka is about subverting/deconstructing cliches. Just my two cents.

It seems like Iroha (and Kuroe) are the only ones who could see baby Kyuubei?

I'm a bit surprised that the girls are dreaming about Kamihama city saving them. I mean, if there was a city/town that would save them, then I'm expecting it would have been Mitakihara. But yeah, that would have been cliched. Would be funny if it turns out that they're both the same places, though (it seems unlikely). Interestingly, kami means god/spirit.

Wow, Iroha's wish was revealed at the end. I was expecting this spin-off would have been about her searching for the truth. But hey, who knows?

Honestly, though. My first reaction to seeing Kuroe was "AKARIN~!" (she has a similar hair-style to Akaza). And yes, I even said it out quietly in real life.
Jun 3, 2020 8:32 AM

Aug 2018
Madoka, including Rebellion movie, is among my all time favorites.. Let's see, how I'll enjoy this anime..
Well, music is back.. Battle stylistics feel also close to what we had.. MC's house has white colors like we had before.. Certainly many pieces have Madoka's aesthetics..
I wonder, what kind of personality main girl has.. As well as what was her wish..
Hm, she doesn't remember her wish.. Alright..
Wonder, if Kyubey in this universe is the same as always, or not..
Teacher seems to be very energetic.. Maybe even manic a bit..
Well, it seems Kyubey is enjoying the sun.. Acting more like a cat in this episode..
It seems that Tamaki's partner.. Or who is that girl to her.. She doesn't want to be magical girl.. Interesting..
Flashbacks of being in hospital or something?.. Ok.. Also.. Was she in the bed?.. Or some other girl she saved or something?..
Territories of magical girls.. Alright..
Hm?.. Wasn't one wish "I want to become a creature that can destroy Kamihama"?.. This wish can return later, I guess.. Also "I want to become another person" wish is interesting..
So.. Did she just save that girl with illness - is that it?.. But would she forget about it?.. There has to be more about that..

Overall.. Well, for now - slow start.. Not much is known about Tamaki's personality.. Though, now that I think about it.. Madoka didn't really have much of personality herself for long.. She was just suffering for her friends fighting and that's it.. And despite that Madoka's anime was great.. But for me it was great majorly to Homura.. Madoka had her depressing moments, I guess, on the other hand.. But for now, after first episode - not much to say about Tamaki - girl with amnesia.. She has partner, who isn't tagged as "main" on MAL - will she die soon or something?.. And one serious girl, cautious and dangerous.. I guess for first episode Tamaki's partner is the most interesting girl to me, but she's not tagged as main, so maybe there won't be much of her.. But she kinda reminds me of Sayaka's suffering, I guess.. Not wanting to be magical girl.. But.. Overall, a slow start, really.. But well, Madoka really became enjoyable for me, really, with Homura's episode, which is like 9th or 10th.. So if creators will continue to follow more or less, what they had in Madoka.. With how it follows aesthetics a lot and stuff.. Maybe it'll become only good somewhere towards the end.. Will see, of course..
Jun 4, 2020 5:55 AM

Mar 2013
Gendolfas said:
Hm?.. Wasn't one wish "I want to become a creature that can destroy Kamihama"?.. This wish can return later, I guess..
That'd be a major change: in the game so far, it's confined entirely to her side story. She's made enough modifications to how she uses her magic that the connection to such a wish isn't readily apparent.
Jun 4, 2020 7:01 AM

Aug 2018
Polycell said:
That'd be a major change: in the game so far, it's confined entirely to her side story. She's made enough modifications to how she uses her magic that the connection to such a wish isn't readily apparent.

I'm not too sure, what you mean.. As only 3 episodes in.. And haven't checked game, only know that it exists..
I only told that among wishes written there was "I want to become a creature that can destroy Kamihama".. That's just, what was written.. Which is kind of a major thing to wish for, really.. But maybe it's some past wish by someone, and it was negated by someone else, or something.. Or maybe some magical girl became so powerful as being able to destroy Kamihama, but then decided to use her powers for something else.. Well, things can go in different direction with wish like that, really..
Jun 4, 2020 10:22 AM

Mar 2013
Gendolfas said:
I only told that among wishes written there was "I want to become a creature that can destroy Kamihama".. That's just, what was written.. Which is kind of a major thing to wish for, really..
She was in an "I hate everything" state of mind when she contracted.
Or maybe some magical girl became so powerful as being able to destroy Kamihama, but then decided to use her powers for something else..
It's something like that.
Jun 4, 2020 11:14 AM

Aug 2018

Ok.. A minor spoiler, I guess, but whatever.. Well, I remember that girl..
In general, it seems, this season so far having or hinting at big part of wishes being kinda in the moment, not the best ones in the end.. Will see, how it plays out for girls, I guess..
Jul 12, 2020 11:36 PM

Jul 2016
Did Kyuubey just... grant Iroha's wish of curing her sister's illness by completely erasing her existence?... or Ui wished something that made her disappear after overcoming her illness, maybe? Uhm... how intriguing.

Decent start overall. Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect from this. Madoka Magica was already perfect as it was with only its first 12 episodes but well, now let's see if the story can be as engaging as the original considering Urobuchi isn't involved anymore.
On a good note, I liked to see the atmosphere and general aesthetics remain the same and on top of that, I'm just so happy to know the studio will be using pieces of Kajiura's OST as well. I mean, it was simply too memorable to just ignore it.

And by the way, my depressed girl Homura appeared in the OP. Looking forward to her cameo!
SouthRzVaJul 12, 2020 11:42 PM
Jul 13, 2020 2:42 AM
Dec 2018
SouthRzVa said:
Did Kyuubey just... grant Iroha's wish of curing her sister's illness by completely erasing her existence?... or Ui wished something that made her disappear after overcoming her illness, maybe? Uhm... how intriguing.

Decent start overall. Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect from this. Madoka Magica was already perfect as it was with only its first 12 episodes but well, now let's see if the story can be as engaging as the original considering Urobuchi isn't involved anymore.
On a good note, I liked to see the atmosphere and general aesthetics remain the same and on top of that, I'm just so happy to know the studio will be using pieces of Kajiura's OST as well. I mean, it was simply too memorable to just ignore it.

And by the way, my depressed girl Homura appeared in the OP. Looking forward to her cameo!

Don't get your hopes high since the first season is just character introduction. It's quite enjoyable, but getting your hopes too high might end with you disliking the show.
Jul 13, 2020 10:50 AM

Jul 2016
salarx said:
SouthRzVa said:

Don't get your hopes high since the first season is just character introduction. It's quite enjoyable, but getting your hopes too high might end with you disliking the show.

Considering a second season/part was already announced, I'm not expecting some kind of closure here. I only wonder if this show can give me the same sensations I had when watched the original.
Thanks for the heads up tho.
Sep 9, 2020 9:05 AM

May 2018
I'm finally back after delaying this series for months lol

Alright episode, fine for an introduction
Feb 15, 2022 1:58 PM

Nov 2018
A bit astonished by some glaring similarities with Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, but it's too soon to make an opinion.

When I learned about Kyouko's wish in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica and the final outcome, I said to myself: "Man, this is exactly like a Greek tragedy!" Hearing about Iroha's friend's wish and how it all ended gave me another "Greek tragedy" feel.
😟.

"The me today will not ever make the future me to regret!"
(Emily Adachi from Air Gear: Kuro no Hane to Nemuri no Mori - Break on the Sky)

Nov 21, 2022 9:54 AM
Mar 2022
Inntriguring. Honestly the fact that it looks better makes me like it less its really missing the charm that madoka had. but it has its own merits
Apr 17, 11:00 AM

Apr 2015
Well, This was a good introduction I guess. New protagonist, Iroha is very different from Madoka yet also similar lol. Curious what events will occur here.
Not a fan of the OP but maybe it'll grow on me.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

» Is this necessary to watch?

theanimeviber - Feb 4

15 by salarx »»
May 10, 10:16 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

258 by Biisoo »»
Apr 24, 3:09 PM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2020

108 by Hilel1982014h »»
Jan 16, 7:42 AM

» This is quite funny

official_brown - Jun 10, 2022

16 by jedman »»
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2020

136 by HimeCrycho »»
Jun 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.