Forum Settings
Forums

Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

New
Jan 1, 2020 1:16 AM

Oct 2019
So do you like reading manga, or are you more a light novel person? I'm curious to see some answers!

Digibutter64Apr 8, 2020 4:08 AM
Jan 1, 2020 3:41 AM

Nov 2019
It depends on the series really. Generally, I love to read manga but I also love light novels like SAO Progressive and Konosuba.
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Jan 1, 2020 9:14 AM

Jan 2016
manga for sure but not against a good light novel
Jan 3, 2020 3:49 PM

Dec 2018
You are asking the manga discussion page, probably going to get more manga regardless.

Either way, I think it's easier to fuck up a manga than it is to a light novel, but manga has the edge of art, something that can speak so many words itself if done well.
Jan 6, 2020 7:17 PM

Sep 2019
Gotta say light novel, the good ones are quite beefy on page count and the volumes take a bit to read through.

There's also the fact some things just don't translate well to the anime/manga format, kinda like how novels don't translate too well to movie/tv show formats. These lost details can sometimes completely change your interpretation of characters/events.
Aug 5, 2023 11:54 PM
Apr 2022
Manga better for my small brain
Aug 6, 2023 12:41 AM

Apr 2023
manga bc i like pretty pictures dont judge me
Aug 6, 2023 1:05 AM

Jul 2022
light novels because they have more text so they are able to capture the inner thoughts and motivations in a better way. I just need everything explained :D. 
but I am sure for some series mangas are just better. also the art that goes into it deserves an immense praise and sometimes I just do starte at pictures almost religiously. 
I was ashamed of myself when I realized life was a costume party, and I attended with my real face. - franz kafka

Aug 6, 2023 3:41 AM

Jan 2023
I have no real preference.
I do read more light novels these days, but that doesn't mean I enjoy manga less, just that most stories I enjoy lately are told in light novel form.
Some of my favorite stories ever are mangas though.
Aug 6, 2023 7:04 AM

Jul 2023
Light novels tend to go in more details especially in the emotion of characters but manga gives you an easier time imagine the settings: you just have to look at a good art and you feel transported into the world. Both medium have good qualities but

Aug 6, 2023 11:33 AM

Oct 2020
Light Novels 100%, they're a lot more fleshed out and do a better job of capturing the story/characters. 
Aug 6, 2023 6:19 PM

Mar 2021
Basically, I like both manga and light novels.
However, when it comes to light novels, if I don't like the pictures in the manga when it is adapted into a comic book, I can't read the manga.
If the original work is a light novel, I prefer to read it as much as possible in light novel form...I think.

Aug 15, 2023 8:24 PM
Mar 2017
Reading is fine but sometimes the length of light novels chapters can be annoying, sometimes manga panels work well, how short, what artwork/style. The art in light novels are good. The pauses (the little icons in pages) in light novels are awkward sometimes of moment to moment scenes. Some words and situations can be alright others not adding much.

Manga is also easier to buy/find online. Barely found light novels in my book stores/library so more a thing online.

Depends on the series too. If I can get it in manga form I read it that way physical or digital then 'find' a light novel copy. Otherwise if I 'could' access light novels I would try and see. I have read a few because it's the only form to go for/only in LN form.
Suntanned_Duck2Aug 15, 2023 8:35 PM
Aug 15, 2023 11:37 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
I generally like reading books, maybe not as much as I used to but I love visiting libraries.
But for some reason I'm generally more attracted to manga than light novels... not sure if it's the usual writing style or not, no offense to ranobe readers.

That being said, I enjoyed reading The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya a bit more than watching its adaptation. Something felt lost.
Aug 16, 2023 5:04 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I like manga, light novel take a back seat..

Aug 17, 2023 9:41 AM

Apr 2022
Visual novels > Manga > Anime > Light novels

So yeah - I value manga over light novels, provided of course that both are of equal quality.
But often the light novel is the only option, so I do read some. The latest I read was Psycome...

Aug 17, 2023 12:27 PM

May 2021
Mangas, as I don't read light novels.
Aug 17, 2023 12:45 PM
Walpurgis

May 2023
light novels, I find them much easier to read than manga (I find I can get too bogged down with the visual details in manga) 
Apr 9, 7:25 PM

Feb 2021
I prefer light novels, I believe they are the superior story-telling format.

Also most manga adaptations of light novels are terrible.

zaako said:
I prefer experiencing エロい moments in manga.
Some LNs can do that part pretty well, and many light novels even have better illustrations and art than many manga out there.
Apr 9, 7:29 PM

Sep 2018
I strongly prefer manga since I like the comic panel style even with hentai I think it is the best format. Manga tends to adapt easier into anime too which leads to more frequent seasons.
Apr 10, 12:58 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to MadanielFL
I prefer light novels, I believe they are the superior story-telling format.

Also most manga adaptations of light novels are terrible.

zaako said:
I prefer experiencing エロい moments in manga.
Some LNs can do that part pretty well, and many light novels even have better illustrations and art than many manga out there.
@MadanielFL So I've read quite of lot of LNs since I made that previous post and I agree with you on the fact that LNs often have better illustrations. However manga authors have the luxury of depicting actions with many panels/frames which makes erotic stuff more organic in my opinion.
Apr 10, 10:55 AM

Aug 2012
Manga for me. Dunno why, but I find many LNs to be a bit hompgenous. Manga are more diverse in themes and genres, I believe.
Apr 10, 11:38 AM

Apr 2023
I think manga benefits significantly from the 'show don't tell' aspect of writing, and seeing as it's mostly pictures whereas LNs have few/none it has an obvious leg-up.
Apr 10, 12:33 PM

Aug 2021
I first read up online what I'm missing in the manga
If I can deal with it I read the manga
If not I read the ln
Apr 10, 1:05 PM

Feb 2020
Prefer Manga, I just find how LNs read to be pretty odd. And it's not like I dislike books, but LNs are just very different from them.
Also I think certain genre like action really doesn't work so well for LNs (and probably some other genre also).
Apr 10, 1:46 PM

Feb 2021
LightWorker said:
Prefer Manga, I just find how LNs read to be pretty odd. And it's not like I dislike books, but LNs are just very different from them.
Also I think certain genre like action really doesn't work so well for LNs (and probably some other genre also).
The Goblin Slayer LN does a great job with the action, even better than the anime imo.
Apr 15, 11:23 PM

Jul 2013
Currently reading some Silent Möbius, so manga. Better than currently trending manga.

What would a weeaboo care about this manga and 2013 sequel? His ilk can't even read Japanese.
Apr 21, 6:45 PM

Nov 2016
Reply to Loyal_Sheepling
@LightWorker

I think I agree for the most part.

As this thread actually inspired me to pick up at least one light novel (Melancholy of H.S.) since it started to bother me what they are like since I already like reading. Sure it's probably not fair to generalize an entire genre with such little time spent with it but I'm also unsure whether I like the style of it either. Maybe it's the lack of telling the reader about the general atmosphere or setting instead telling readers things bluntly, feels like I'm reading a script of the anime instead with how it's mostly dialogue with only the necessary to set the scene.

So I think for now I prefer manga over light novels, the pictures do add to the experience. Actual novels add to the experience by having a coherent flow without a lot of pauses between every two to three sentences. I probably sound a bit too harsh but I'm trying to figure out where that odd feeling comes from. Maybe it's just not my thing, just like with visual novels but I think it was worth trying.

Voted for manga > LN's.
Apr 21, 7:57 PM

Dec 2020
I mostly read manga. Since LN are harder to find than mangas. At least physical copies.
Apr 23, 10:43 PM
Jun 2023
I prefer manga over lightnovel
Apr 30, 10:44 PM

Jun 2016
I put option 4, I really need a mix of both. They serve different roles.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

409 by Strymoon »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1091 by Bogard087 »»
Today, 5:14 AM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

31 by ColdBlackTeaFan »»
Today, 1:56 AM

» Good manga to read for people starting out

Goblingaming - May 21

18 by ItsMartin432 »»
Yesterday, 10:09 AM

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga ( 1 2 )

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

54 by Kumoiro_Shizuki »»
Yesterday, 3:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.