Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2019 9:27 AM

Apr 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So difficult to discuss this movie. On one hand the journey to a fantasy land is a complete success, with various gorgeous landscapes and sights, but on the other hand the wondrous creatures are few and the magic is scarce, though only a faithful adaptation of the source is to blame for that.

Which leads to another issue, the fact of the adaptation. Yes it feels faithful, but still here and there some parts feel unexplored (the blacksmith guild for example), giving the whole less cohesion. A whole that visually seems to lack cohesion too, with elements seen before in movies like The Cat Returns ot Howl's Castle.

A refreshing thing was the movie is structured like an old Crayon Shin-chan movie, but again is way too discursive due to the written source.

An enjoyable experience that as a coming of age story felt a bit dated, but should satisfy the very young target audience.
Aug 27, 2019 5:15 PM

Jul 2017
it is an attempt at making a child movie in the style of gibhli.
it fails.

not only is it toxicaly moralist it is naive and chilidsh in the way only a child with retarded sense of critisism would like it. there are a few plotholes but that's not the main problem.

this is just an incrdibly generic and mediocre story that's even more predictable that okuto no ken but instead of a classic badass main character, it's """"""""""""""""""""average"""""""""""""""" (god I hate this shit) overdramatic typical generic unninteresting characters who fight for the ""good"" of this word and everything ends up well.

there is nothing interesting about this movie. it is good visually and has good music though. but it has no value.
it is worthless.

in fact, it is not mediocre. it's just bad.
Jan 13, 2020 2:22 PM

Jun 2015
I'm impressed at how bad this movie is in general. From how poorly it flowed, to how things just kept happening without establishing anything or caring to make you invested in the first place. Hell, it was even hard to care about the main girl considering the way they introduce her character with that awkward scene at the school where she just follows the group and ignores the isolated girl.

The jokes, some of the lines of dialogue and even the character reactions to most events were facepalm-worthy material as well. Overall it's like they tried to give the movie Ghibli elements but miserably failed to capture what makes those truly appealing. Would not recommend at all.
UnowenJan 13, 2020 4:02 PM
Feb 2, 2020 1:52 PM

Dec 2017
feels like a movie i'd forget about in two hours. the art looks good, kuvshinov's characters design really well adapted with beautiful animation and backgrounds.

story-wise it's just a one time. they briefly go over the situation and as briefly try to move on with the plot, have a happy ending, while planting seeds that the same story has continued and will continue for generations. i would compare it to family inheritance but even that has more impact and value on the person than just the mc have their worldview broadened a bit. and that after credits scene where she and her friends make up with the lonely girl from the beginning of the movie was such a lazy attempt of character development lol. but hey, at least in the end she got some
Feb 3, 2020 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
I went into this show thought Ushio Kensuke made the music for this movie but apparently after finishing it checked that specific signal.md movie haven't even released! oh well :\ because this movie story-wise was absolutely nothing special and lot of plotting issues. Seems like many recent films have gotten obsessed with alice-in-the-wonderland-esque plot where mc somehow goes to world and has to do something with the world clinche.

The movie itself wasn't too bad until they brought up that clinche and then got super boring to watch after first 40-50 minutes with lack of interesting plot elements or the worldbuilding wasn't wildly fantasy enough. Its kinda bummer tbh because I really liked the character designs and the whole production values but it seems all wasted effort at the end of the day.
removed-userFeb 3, 2020 1:55 PM
Feb 5, 2020 1:14 PM

Nov 2016
Could've been fleshed out more here and there, but I enjoyed the movie overall. Fine fantasy adventure with a chill atmosphere.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 12, 2020 5:51 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I went into this with high expectations; I remember seeing the concept art and trailers for this baby early on and I am a Iiya Kuvshinov fan deeply, who uses his work in all facets. However it’s hard to ignore how placid this movie was and just goes to show you that breathtaking art cannot make up for lack of story and character. I don’t know anything about the original book but they really should’ve used it as a loose template and expanded from there.

Some of the jokes and visual comedy were very good, I’ll applaud some of the wit in the snappy transitions and evolving jokes. Some of the best shots in the movie were quiet moments especially in the desert sky lines, just the contrast was phenomenal. Literal wallpaper pictures. The OST wasn’t memorable but was soothing at points and very laxed.

I do kind of like that they leave it a mystery as if her mom was the previous goddess but literally after the movie I calculated the year to time difference between the worlds and it was 25 years, so it had to be her!

Weirdly enough this should’ve had a dub with so much to digest visually; I took my sister to this who isn’t so used to the subtitles and though she was fine even I kinda like most these state side releases to get dubbed. Oh well.

Might come back to this. I’m leaving it at a 6/10 just because it impacted me so heavily visually but really it should be a 5/10. I’ll decide after another watch.
Feb 15, 2020 12:07 AM

Dec 2015
The world's design is the only appeal of this film that does nothing with a yet very easy to tell coming-of-age travel.
The chara-design is interesting (I never met this russian artist's work before) but rigid, and the heroin never looks her age (I wouldn't have known before the cake picture if there were no school scene in the beginning.). I like the actress' voice but here, it only amplifies the discordance between apparent and theoretical ages.
Omnipresent and noticeable CGI.
Weird music placement.

I can't even make a nicely paragraphed text, the film made me lack structure myself.

Enjoyment: 3/5
Score: 4.5/10

Rei_IIIFeb 15, 2020 12:13 AM
Mar 22, 2020 4:28 AM

Dec 2014
an ok film...... but nice nonetheless.
Jun 29, 2020 11:04 AM

Oct 2013
It was a fun time. As usual, the visuals outweigh the story.
Jul 29, 2020 12:54 PM
Dec 2014
Did anyone else hear the pokemon mystery dungeon theme at around the 14 min mark? lol
Oct 14, 2020 2:17 PM

Jun 2019
An underrated movie for sure. Most of the time when something has such weak plot consistency I am the first one to start hating, but Birthday Wonderland was different. It is a fantasy story 100% and follows the classic "Alice in Wonderland" structure, but the way the scenes and chapters were linked kept it always interesting for me as a watcher. It was a lot of fun and DEFINITELY not just for kids. Now I want to get to the rest of Keiichi Hara's work (Colorful, Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai and Summer Days with Coo).
Nov 1, 2020 2:28 PM
Nov 2018
was good in my opinion and left me with the fluff of a fantasy adventure story ending i wanted. The comic relief aunt or friend (don't know really don't care)did her part and tho she was annoying in some parts she was still pretty good. A important question was left unawsered tho and it's gonna bug me to the rest of my days, The Mother of Akane. She had a bigger role than the movies would lead you to believe (prequel wise). overall characters good, story good, art really good. 8/10
Nov 13, 2020 8:20 PM

Nov 2013
My wife bought this BD on Amazon and we watched it on a 154" screen in our home theater tonight.
Visually, the film was spectacular.
I thought the character designs were a little odd, almost Disney-like, but I got used to that pretty soon.
Noted that director Keiichi Hara, of "Summer Days with Coo" fame, directed this film.
It was an Alice in Wonderland like adventure and it was a pleasant one with some interesting characters and a mystery. We find a shocking revelation about the prince, though his savior is rather predictable.
The prince's back story could have been fleshed out more, but even so, the film was enjoyable and had a good conclusion.
Jan 11, 2021 11:23 AM

Nov 2017
I would declare this film as underrated. I enjoyed this film as any other Hara Keiichi's work. The animation was stunning, the soundtracks , the story every thing was executed pretty well to me. I would rate it 8.5/10. I would really love to watch it again.

Jan 18, 2021 3:53 AM

Apr 2009
The plot was interesting, the art style was OK, the execution was meh.

6/10 good enough to pass the time but forgettable.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Mar 29, 2021 7:20 AM
Jan 2016
EratiK said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So difficult to discuss this movie. On one hand the journey to a fantasy land is a complete success, with various gorgeous landscapes and sights, but on the other hand the wondrous creatures are few and the magic is scarce, though only a faithful adaptation of the source is to blame for that.

Which leads to another issue, the fact of the adaptation. Yes it feels faithful, but still here and there some parts feel unexplored (the blacksmith guild for example), giving the whole less cohesion. A whole that visually seems to lack cohesion too, with elements seen before in movies like The Cat Returns ot Howl's Castle.

A refreshing thing was the movie is structured like an old Crayon Shin-chan movie, but again is way too discursive due to the written source.

An enjoyable experience that as a coming of age story felt a bit dated, but should satisfy the very young target audience.

So this movie is faithful adaptation children book Chikashitru Kara no Fushigi na Tabi? Thanks for help
Oct 7, 2021 2:39 AM

Jan 2021
I don't really understand what happened in almost 2 hours, like there's a lot to explain but it's okay I enjoyed it.

I know I've got to let it go and just enjoy the show ~ I think the ending song really fits the movie.

Jun 23, 2022 8:08 AM

Aug 2017
Definitely the most disappointing of Keiichi Hara's non-franchise movies. The character designs are sort of decent (not in the case of the prince though) but look very "flat" and lack texture. I like some of the antics of Chi (an older woman on such an adventure is a nice refreshment), but overall it was kinda bland and...strange. The entire world's water supply depending on a royal family performing some magic ritual is ridiculous (and the "villain" version of the prince tried to bring water out without the ritual? Lol).
Feb 7, 2023 7:18 AM
May 2016
It was absolutely beautiful, art was great but the dumb story and sand paper main character killed it.
Sep 30, 2023 4:27 PM

Sep 2020
It was alright but woefully underwhelming at the end. It felt like it tried to copy The Cat Returns (dapper, magical guide and the cats at the inspection) but without the charm.

Biggest problem was it didn't make me care 1 drop about the world or its inhabitants. They showed some beautiful areas but barely anything about the people, and even less about the magic. Akane was too whiny for me, while Chi was cool. I guess that was the point, Chi showing Akane how to go with the flow and appreciate things, but it didn't work for me, and Akane's sudden turn at the end felt unwarranted.

Then there was the story of the Prince. Why was he so angry in the first place? I got that he felt pressured and his parents had died, but the way they showed it he started rebelling for no reason before any of that happened.

I thought the comedy and some scenes were good, though (like the fish scene), so it wasn't a complete bust. But otherwise, forgettable.

7 blown-out candles /10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Nov 25, 2023 4:56 PM

Aug 2020
This movie is pretty cool... Yeah, I liked it. Nothing to brag about, but yeah. And the art is clean.

More topics from this board

» US Theatrical Release Dates

Tubby - Jan 29, 2020

0 by Tubby »»
Jan 29, 2020 12:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.