Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 12, 2019 4:29 AM

Aug 2008
I always love it when Furuya fails! I'm evil, I know!

But damn! Goosebumps after Sawamura comes in like a badass!
Jul 12, 2019 5:50 AM
Jul 2019
So I have got to say that this episode is one of my favorites so far. It really show how Sawamura has improved as a pitcher, and also mentally. Though it is frustrating to watch how biased both Miyuki and Kataoka have become towards Furuya as is obvious the first half of the episode.

It is really thrilling to see Sawamura pitch when he gets in the zone like that, though this episode he has turned in a completely different beast. And it is so satisfying to see the shock on the coaches face as he realizes the level of pitching Sawamura has reached.

And that apology was something else, for me it seemed even everyone at the bench was surprised by it. I think it surprised Sawamura the most. He never lost respect for Kataoka i think, as he still calls him 'boss'. During the spring tournament Sawamura screwed up, and I think he realised that and never really questioned being put on the backburner, even though what miyuki did when he promises to catch for him and then decides to catch for Furuya.

this episode really feels like where all hard work is finally really paying off.

It didn't really pained me to see Furuya struggling, i actually hoped/thought he would be able to turn it around. Not because i like him or anything, I am a big Sawamura fan, but because it was the first time Furuya was really struggling since a long time.

But man to see Sawamura pitch like that was so awesome. I can't stope watching this episode. ^°^
Jul 12, 2019 10:32 PM

May 2011
Oh yayyy!! This is the type of episode I've been craving for since the past seasons!!

Sawamura's emotion is being delivered really well. Deep down initially, he probably wasn't really hurt with Furuya getting all the attention from his teammates and coaches. He wasn't sincerely angry as well, just frustrated. After all, Sawamura himself recognizes Furuya's strength and understands that he's important. However after seeing how horrible Furuya performed even after all that attention he has gotten, and that he's still allowed to pitch after countless amount of horrible pitching, it probably snapped into him how bias everyone were being.

Honestly I was refusing to believe that it was because of a mere diary entry that led to Kataoka's bias decision. After all, in the past, he always does what was right for the situation, being very pragmatic and realistic, and had almost never falter in that sense (even the coach from Teito said he used to switch pitcher very quickly without even batting an eye). I guess I was wrong =/. Felt really unreal to me haha.

Feeling so hyped now!
Jul 14, 2019 7:17 AM
Nov 2018
Great episode; the way Sawamura took out 2 guys with bases loaded was mind blowing-had to happen soon. Felt bad for Furyura but TeamSawamura o.o. The ending with coach and Sawamura... Oh Boy.
Jul 16, 2019 9:52 PM
Feb 2016
jrShark said:
Oh yayyy!! This is the type of episode I've been craving for since the past seasons!!

Sawamura's emotion is being delivered really well. Deep down initially, he probably wasn't really hurt with Furuya getting all the attention from his teammates and coaches. He wasn't sincerely angry as well, just frustrated. After all, Sawamura himself recognizes Furuya's strength and understands that he's important. However after seeing how horrible Furuya performed even after all that attention he has gotten, and that he's still allowed to pitch after countless amount of horrible pitching, it probably snapped into him how bias everyone were being.

Honestly I was refusing to believe that it was because of a mere diary entry that led to Kataoka's bias decision. After all, in the past, he always does what was right for the situation, being very pragmatic and realistic, and had almost never falter in that sense (even the coach from Teito said he used to switch pitcher very quickly without even batting an eye). I guess I was wrong =/. Felt really unreal to me haha.

Feeling so hyped now!

reason being kataoka himself was also an ace pitcher so obviously that position holds great significance for him. thats why he is biased.
Jul 17, 2019 2:46 PM

Apr 2011
One of the best episodes of the series and the best episode of Act II yet. Finally, we get to see valuable playtime for Sawamura. He really is the driving force of the series and following his development process in this long span of time was a really satisfying experience. I myself complained a lot about the Furuya's heroics and his exaggerated amount of spotlight time, but I guess when Sawamura eventually overcomes that kind of player and becomes the ace, it will be much more satisfactory.

Like Miyuki, I got goosebumps while watching Sawamura dominate...
Jul 17, 2019 7:17 PM

Mar 2009
This is the Ace of Diamond I used to love. Best episode in a very long time.

But honestly? Kataoka is an asshole. Same for the other coach. Also, wasn't Kataoka supposed to retire or something? What happened with that?
Jul 21, 2019 6:21 AM

Feb 2010
Miyuki and Kataoka were useless, their bias were showing and yet they were not being helpful at all to both Furuya & Sawamura... in the end Furuya was still perform badly and Sawa was getting frustated by them. Idk why the sudden turn of attitude, maybe for the plot to be progressed so Sawa being more spirited to take the ace number, it's just... lmao even in that fat coach's eyes (flashback to i-won't-sacrifice-everything-for-Furuya) Kataoka (and Miyuki) are the hypocrites, it's ironic.

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jul 25, 2019 6:00 AM

Feb 2017
Reading all these (previous) discussions, there sure are lots of angry Sawamura fans. Like so many people take it as a personal insult if Sawamura doesn't shine or some characters not doing always what he wants. I know it's frustrating considering he's the mc and all, but calm down.

But good for Sawamura, and hope Furuya can grow up from this.

Edit: I forgot to mention it, but props to Ochiai. If he hadn't said anything, Kataoka probably wouldn't have realized how dire the situation was.
KultaJul 25, 2019 6:32 AM
Aug 5, 2019 4:57 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Got so hyped up after Eijun's amazing performance in saving the team! I replayed the outside fastball so many times and everyone's reaction to it. Striked out with only fastballs, and then the first pitch to the next batter was a change-up. They really had a nice pace going.

As for the discussion thread, it's a bit sad to see some people say that the Seidou doesn't respect Eijun much, aside from first-years. I love the team as a whole, so it's uncomfortable to see other people seeing the team that way. The second-years definitely respect Eijun (Kanemaru, Haruichi, Toujou), and of course even the third-years like Kuramochi, Kawakamai, Maezono, none of them seem to favor Furuya in any way. Of course it'll seem like Eijun doesn't get respected in comparison to Furuya, that's just how it goes with having the Ace title.

Kataoka definitely made a delayed decision with switching Furuya out, but it's nothing on Eijun (or any other possible relief pitcher). He, like Miyuki, wanted to try and get Furuya back into shape. Ultimately, it was also for the good of the team I suppose, since they wouldn't want to let everyone see Seidou's ace performing so unfavorably. But it was a gamble, and again, Kataoka shouldn't have let it escalate to that point to sub in a relief. Kataoka actually treats Eijun quite favorably, if he didn't have an ounce of belief in Eijun, he could've subbed in Kawakami, who is the more reliable relief pitcher when under such a stressful situation.
Aug 8, 2019 5:55 PM
Jul 2019
it's been four weeks, but I still always return to this episode. Really, this is the best episode of Diamond No Ace I've ever seen, I don't forget how I got goosebumps when I saw Hero Sawamura.
Nov 12, 2019 12:32 PM
May 2019
I'm sick of Seido's bias in favor of Furuya. After giving up 2 runs the way Furuya did, Sawamura would have been switched out; he wouldn't even have been given the opportunity to lose all those runs. Instead they allowed Ichidai to play home run derby. Literally all Furuya has is power, he is behind Sawamura in literally every other aspect of pitching. They're functionally equal, but only Sawamura's mistakes seem to be acknowledged while everyone is too busy looking at the radar gun results when Furuya pitches. The only time Furuya ever gets switched is when he completely falls apart, whereas Sawamura gets shitcanned if he gives up a run or two and then doesn't get to play for 3 games. I swear to god if they metroid Sawamura AGAIN I'm done with the show, sick of him finding his stride only to be set back again and again just because the author doesn't know how to write power progression.
CashJacksonNov 12, 2019 12:39 PM
Nov 27, 2019 7:07 AM
Nov 2019
Idk why some of you are angry to coach kataoka and Miyuki where in fact I think they made the right decisions. (in the beginning I think) Furuya is the current ace so he's really important to the team, as Miyuki said he wants him to recover. He was more trusted (bcs he's the ace) but the fact the they really need to switch a pitcher is more important (bcs of the situation). There goes Sawamura, he's really a badass in this ep.. I waited so long to see that. It's just that, it's so sad at the same time bcs he's right. When he realized the difference of being an Ace and a reliever of the game :( I cried loud. But you know what at ep 16, I realized it's good that they lost Haha.. Everything really happens for a reason. And I really love the characters development . Grow more Sawamura 💕
Dec 20, 2019 7:08 PM

Sep 2018
For the first time, I got annoyed with Furuya and Coach now!! What happened???!!! He gave up so many run!! Coach takes too long to decide to switch him! Grrrrr

Good job Eijun!! I hope he pitch more now!!! He's ready to become ace!!
Feb 9, 2020 8:19 AM

Mar 2017
Caught up already but I'm rewatching-

I really love how Sawamura shines and shocked everyone at the field.
About time he gets the acknowledgement that he deserves. They are always bias when it comes to Sawamura and now they're probably changing their minds hence, trusting him 100%

Ace Sawamura is the best

It's cute that the first years are commenting and praising Sawamura~

killerqueen2000 said:
bzzrkd said:
The real question is: What did he mean by, "damn it, don't apologize"? What do you guys think? I am thinking he said that because he don't want the coach to appear weak. I'm not sure.

Its because Kataoka knows he made the wrong decision by not switching out Furuya earlier and the result of that is Seido currently losing. Basically Kataoka admitting his faults made Eijun frustrated because he was on the receiving end of it but also they’re losing the game because of it

this.... T__T
eulsFeb 9, 2020 8:27 AM

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Apr 8, 2020 11:08 AM

Dec 2019
Holy... Sawamura saving the day, and that OST coming up when he striked them out oh boy this is why i love Diamond no ace.
                                                         🖤   

Jul 24, 2020 12:24 PM

Dec 2012
Damn, Eijun was so intense. He really is the mood maker - I went from passively watching the match with mild interest to feeling my heart thumping as I couldn't look away. All on all, this episode was a total vindication for him and proves that he has all of the qualities of an ace.

Edit: As for Kataoka headpatting Eijun, man that was the real jaw dropper.
Made him seem like a father figure for a moment.
ZekkenshinJul 24, 2020 12:29 PM
Jan 11, 2021 7:39 AM
Jun 2020
Just wanting to pen out my thoughts somewhere about this episode and the following few~ Thought it will be a good way to destress lol~ (stress from real life, not the anime)
To avoid displaying a long post that probably have no discussion value, I shall use the spoiler tags, but there really isn't much spoiler~
Well just a rant and some thoughts, don't open the spoiler tag, is not worth~ hahaha

Whelp ended up with a full essay of my rants and somewhat a review~
Nov 3, 2021 10:57 AM

Jul 2015
I'm so disappointed in Kataoka for no longer sticking to 'Team before the ace' as he didn't switch Furuya even after giving away 5 runs until Ochiai of all people had to step up. Felt good seeing Eijun performing fantastic but terrible with how his own team heck even Miyuki was so shocked in the sense of them not expecting anything from him.

May 9, 2022 4:51 PM

May 2021
This is the perfect image of a TRUE ACE right here

Sawamura's inner monologue at the end is so sad though :'(

NAVID said:
sannythebest95 said:
In general the whole Seidou has little respect for Sawamura.
Even Ochiai, although he advised (rightly) to replace Furuya, is prejudiced on Sawamura.
Just look at the face he made when Kataoka said that Sawamura saved the team.
Besides the fact that later he says he expected to lose more runs

On Miyuki I have little to say, I have never liked at the beginning of the manga / anime, but I know that it is the most loved character (in Japan at least)
It should be noted instead that the boys of the first year, unlike the others, feel a lot of respect for Sawamura.
It's not a casuality

Yeah, the whole team really doesn't think much of him. But the first years respect him for his work ethic and spirit. They see him as someone who made it into the first team.

This is why I love this 3rd season the most. The presence of the new first years admiring Sawamura is very wholesome to see, pleasant to the eyes.

𝑇𝐼𝑃𝑆 𝐼𝑁 𝐺𝐼𝑁𝑇𝐴𝑀𝐴
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

Dec 22, 2022 4:11 AM

Oct 2015
Oh boi... I got tears in my eyes. Coach... why'd you have to say that? Now I can't even get mad at you for not switching our Furuya earlier anymore!

Anyway that was a perfect relief. Every pitch was incredible. I got goosebumps, man! Eijun is really awesome! :D
   HuaLian <3
Jul 18, 2023 7:27 PM

Aug 2019
This could’ve been easily avoided if Eijun had started the game and Furuya played second part of the game. Which was the plan before, but Coach Kataoka just randomly decided to change his mind at the last minute. What's going on with coach Kataoka, he's allowing his emotions to influence his decision.

I like the serious Eijun! Eijun is fire up, he’s ain’t playing around no more. He’s so much mature now.

HELL YEAH INSIDE PITCH. THAT WAS PERFECT!

Finally people are acknowledging Eijun. They even noticed how they needed to switch pitchers. Even though he has been saving Seido all this time.

YOSH YOSH YOSH

“My role” he indeed did it.
Aug 16, 2023 6:21 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Fking banger ep!! Sawamura is a GAME CHANGER

He’s done this so many times I love it haha. It’s always hype to see.

Surely he’ll actually become the ace by the end of this season, right?
Aug 21, 2023 6:20 PM
May 2020
THAT TOOK FOREVER! SAWAMURA IS FINALLY GETTING THE RECOGNITION HE DESERVES!
Dec 17, 2023 3:21 PM

Jan 2013
This episode really shows how much Eijun has grown and where Furuya still has to learn a bit more.
Loved it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Sequel announced!!!!

Dbagas8 - May 18

18 by AzureCielo »»
May 19, 4:34 PM

» is Diamond no Ace underrated?

LevyChase - Feb 11, 2022

23 by Zedlin »»
May 18, 2:02 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 52 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2020

58 by Nova22 »»
Mar 9, 5:56 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 23, 2019

74 by PrOxAnto »»
Dec 15, 2023 12:14 PM

Poll: » Diamond no Ace: Act II Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 10, 2019

31 by 1Konochi »»
Sep 14, 2023 11:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.