Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 5, 2017 3:54 AM

Jan 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm4fVBl781s

it has that old school visuals like in the 70s and 80s cartoons

confirmed to be 1-cour (12 episodes only) http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-03-24/stan-lee-hiroshi-nagahama-the-reflection-wave-one-anime-reveals-july-premiere-more-staff/.113862
degJul 6, 2017 10:44 PM
Jul 5, 2017 6:03 AM

Feb 2014
I will check out the first episode but damn does this underwhelming. The art style is extremely simple and not very appealing. The premise is also super vague and cliche.

eXtacy67Jul 5, 2017 6:14 AM
Jul 5, 2017 6:29 AM

Jul 2007
Looks hella nice. Unique and out of the norm art style and color palette. I can only hope writing itself matches up in quality.
Jul 5, 2017 6:35 AM
Jan 2016
Nothing's really stand out except the art style & the side characters' design. It's good that this PV's out before the show airs, it sets my expectation realistically. Because honestly before, I thought this anime would be like something from Studio Trigger, heavily stylized & great animation. I guess I was right about it being heavily stylized.

eXtacy67 said:
The art style is extremely simple and not very appealing.

I guess they chose that art style so that the anime would stand out above the crowd, to make it unique. While I'm fine with it, I can see why some people might not like it.
Jul 6, 2017 1:10 AM

Jan 2013
I'm actually really digging the art direction here. It looks kinda like an old-school comic book, which makes perfect sense with the American-styled superheroes and Stan Lee's involvement. Animation also looks surprisingly good, especially considering that Studio DEEN is behind it.
Jul 6, 2017 10:02 AM

Jun 2016
The art looks to be paying homage to western comics; fitting, I suppose. It's definitely interesting and unique in the world of anime but also fairly low in detail and didn't seem all that energetic. The first episode proper will tell for sure, but I hope this doesn't hinder the inevitable big action scenes from being engaging.

That said, if the story, characters and general writing quality are there, that could easily make up for it either way.
Jul 6, 2017 10:59 AM

Dec 2015
Plasmatize said:
It's fairly low in detail and didn't seem all that energetic. I hope this doesn't hinder the inevitable big action scenes from being engaging.

I always thought that the less detailed drawings were, the easiest to animate they were.

edit @Plasmatize @Nei-san If you're interesting in knowing more: http://www.anime-now.com/entry/2017/07/06/230036
Rei_IIIJul 7, 2017 12:06 PM
Jul 6, 2017 12:31 PM

Jun 2016
Rei366 said:
Plasmatize said:
It's fairly low in detail and didn't seem all that energetic. I hope this doesn't hinder the inevitable big action scenes from being engaging.

I always thought that the less detailed drawings were, the easiest to animate they were.

Yeah, I get that. Ideally this would mean more fluid, impactful and expressive animation when called for as a trade-off, but I wasn't really seeing that in the PV. It's only a snippet, though, so we'll see how the full show looks.
Jul 6, 2017 2:01 PM

Sep 2011
Looks like shit tbh
Jul 6, 2017 2:10 PM

Jul 2015
>studio DEEN
lol , no thx
Jul 6, 2017 6:56 PM

Apr 2015
I'm all for experimentation.
Jul 6, 2017 10:22 PM
Dec 2016
I'm very disappointed
Jul 6, 2017 11:19 PM

May 2015
tragedydesu said:
>studio DEEN
lol , no thx

You obviously haven't watched anything from them recently.

Jul 7, 2017 4:30 PM

Sep 2011
tragedydesu said:
>studio DEEN
lol , no thx
i would of said that 2 years ago, but they wound up making one of the best anime ever made (rakugo) and have generally been putting out alot more energetic stuff since recently that I cant help but sayt they have done one of the hardest 180's in quality I have ever seen. Seriously go check out rakugo and be confused as fuck how Deen made it, its one of those shows that absolutly deserves its rating on this site depsite how overbloated ratings get here.

I mean even with this show you cant tell me its not trying something way different than alot of anime in terms of its visuals.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 14, 2017 9:09 PM

Oct 2008
why does no one take notice of who created and is directing this? just dismissing something nagahama hiroshi is making based on a PV or studio is stupid
Jul 14, 2017 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
simo000 said:
why does no one take notice of who created and is directing this? just dismissing something nagahama hiroshi is making based on a PV or studio is stupid

Because people don't go and look up at the staff etc because they just look at it at face value (if I can get this right)
Jul 14, 2017 9:54 PM

Oct 2008
Symphyon said:
simo000 said:

Because people don't go and look up at the staff etc because they just look at it at face value (if I can get this right)

good point. and i guess most of the time with anime staff doesn't seem to matter. i feel like 90% of new shows have no real unique, creative vision driving them. yes, i'm a cynic about all this
Jul 14, 2017 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
simo000 said:
Symphyon said:

good point. and i guess most of the time with anime staff doesn't seem to matter. i feel like 90% of new shows have no real unique, creative vision driving them. yes, i'm a cynic about all this

I mean there's nothing wrong with that but yeah. I just personally don't like it when people look at something only at face value and just look at the first thing they see as a label.

By that logic, if a show is made by Madhouse, that means that for a lot of people its going to be good (it is a terrible example I know, but there have been people who took it like that... and then what happened? Sometimes even the best studios out there can have a bad stain in their records) so I guess the best suggestion is to look at the bigger picture before grabbing the gun, that's all I'm saying.

This is why I look at the staff, cast, etc. Before saying any word regarding on this, of course there will be at times where I can be skeptical but all depends amount of episodes, gaps, the staff etc. But all plays out depending on the announcements.
Jul 15, 2017 12:40 AM

Oct 2008
Symphyon said:
simo000 said:

I mean there's nothing wrong with that but yeah. I just personally don't like it when people look at something only at face value and just look at the first thing they see as a label.

By that logic, if a show is made by Madhouse, that means that for a lot of people its going to be good (it is a terrible example I know, but there have been people who took it like that... and then what happened? Sometimes even the best studios out there can have a bad stain in their records) so I guess the best suggestion is to look at the bigger picture before grabbing the gun, that's all I'm saying.

This is why I look at the staff, cast, etc. Before saying any word regarding on this, of course there will be at times where I can be skeptical but all depends amount of episodes, gaps, the staff etc. But all plays out depending on the announcements.

yeah, I'm with you. Though there isn't really anything wrong with sharing some quick thoughts based on face value. I just hope people don't dismiss this (or other shows) entirely just based on something like which Studio is animating it. There are a variety of factors that inform a show's quality.

I'll be very surprised if this turns out to be average. Hiroshi Nagahama has a proven track record (even if you're not a fan of Aku no Hana, you can't deny its ambition) and I think this will be at the very least a unique show.
Jul 15, 2017 12:44 AM
Jul 2018
simo000 said:
Symphyon said:

yeah, I'm with you. Though there isn't really anything wrong with sharing some quick thoughts based on face value. I just hope people don't dismiss this (or other shows) entirely just based on something like which Studio is animating it. There are a variety of factors that inform a show's quality.

I'll be very surprised if this turns out to be average. Hiroshi Nagahama has a proven track record (even if you're not a fan of Aku no Hana, you can't deny its ambition) and I think this will be at the very least a unique show.

Can agree with that. And yeah, can see what you mean on that. There's also the source that comes from (although that's also a dismissing point here as well), the people behind it, etc. People will just ignore it if they see something like "DEEN" or ya know what I mean

And funny enough, I haven't really seen Aku no Hana (will plan on doing it way later on in the future) but from what I saw from his end he's pretty solid, and while I'm not the biggest fan of the stuff he directed I won't deny his style for it is rather interesting. xP

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Reflection Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2017

10 by theferrell »»
Jan 12, 2023 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Reflection Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2017

160 by name1_1 »»
Mar 29, 2021 5:05 AM

» Any news of second season?

Keidohanna - Sep 20, 2019

2 by Daniel_Naumov »»
Dec 14, 2019 4:31 AM

Poll: » The Reflection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2017

53 by BikeGoneRampant »»
Jul 18, 2019 9:33 AM

Poll: » The Reflection Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2017

33 by mar1217 »»
Sep 3, 2018 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.