Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Aug 7, 2016 10:05 AM

Jul 2014
Two major things left the biggest impact on me when I saw this movie.

First, the animation... AKA the CG. I hate CG especially for anime (why do people do this?!). Ugh, just thinking about it is reminding me of Kingdom. But thankfully, the CG in this wasn't as disgustingbad as it was in Kingdom. It definitely still caught me off guard and made me wary when I saw it initially but I managed to look past it to the end.

Secondly, the OST. Simply saying, I loved it! I love ELISA, her voice is so beautiful and I think she and the song (Eonian) was perfect~

That said, I also enjoyed the fight/battle scenes, Angela and Dingo's relationship as well as Frontier Setter himself (rather itself)... though that last bit is probably just because I'm biased towards Hiroshi Kamiya (Frontier Setter's seiyuu).
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Sep 20, 2016 2:35 PM
Sep 2015
Honestly the one thing that threw me is... why didn't the girl do both... as a digitized consciousness, there's no reason to choose the body OR the spaceship, when one could just copy and paste and have one self explore space, while the other explored earth.
Sep 23, 2016 6:29 AM

Apr 2009
I lost the plot of the movie. But the animation and fanservice were great. 4/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2016 9:59 AM

Jun 2011
I haven't watch a lot of story-driven movie, but are they this uninteresting most of the time? I hate when movie doesn't start properly by getting us to know the characters better first. A huge chunk from the first few interactions between the main girl and the main dude was so cliche, it's basically like a girl who's being as much of a jerk she can, and a guy who's always right. I also hate that the theme is very one-sided, it's always the higher ups that are in the wrong, and the direction of the show is always being forced into that side.

A very forgettable movie that isn't worth watching even when you're not paying attention.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 21, 2016 3:52 PM
Mar 2016
i loved it but i mainly watch for shinichiro(dingo)'s voice. i love it so much
Nov 29, 2016 11:30 PM

Jul 2016
Alex_Moonwatch said:
Honestly the one thing that threw me is... why didn't the girl do both... as a digitized consciousness, there's no reason to choose the body OR the spaceship, when one could just copy and paste and have one self explore space, while the other explored earth.

Thats kind of what I felt too. I was also thinking the same thing for Frontier Setter as well. Perhaps the technology requires the consciousness of the person, thus you can only have your consciousness in once place.
It's fine. Everyone makes mistakes. You just need to make an effort not to make the same mistake again.
Nov 30, 2016 9:17 AM
Sep 2015
sam9502 said:
Alex_Moonwatch said:

Thats kind of what I felt too. I was also thinking the same thing for Frontier Setter as well. Perhaps the technology requires the consciousness of the person, thus you can only have your consciousness in once place.

But that in it self doesn't make sense, as copying the consciousness to two different places is essentially making a clone. they stop being the same person as soon as the second consciousness is made.
Jan 1, 2017 3:11 PM

Mar 2012
Interesting story, the one thing that annoyed me is how her personality suddenly changes when she goes from her virtual body to her 16 year old body...which didn't make much sense to me, considering they said her consciousness wouldn't alter. I enjoyed her more mature/strong/calm natured personality in the first like 15 minutes as opposed to her rash, immature, and immensely flustered version that was the rest of the movie, and that personality stuck even when she went back to being virtual again. Maybe it's just me idk.

Probably should have watched it in Japanese though....I was having trouble focusing when they kept saying Angela "Ballsack" (Balzac) over and over. Definitely not the best name for a main character.

Overall, not a bad watch.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jan 24, 2017 2:06 AM

Jan 2014
I expected more fanservice, too bad it's only in the beginning.

I thought Angela would come with Frontier, then become ruler of that spaceship, like her boss. it would be interesting if she do that, and she frequently visit earth to explore, while Frontier orbiting the earth.
Apr 27, 2017 9:35 PM

Feb 2012
This movie went beyond my expectations. I am glad it was full 3DCG because it fit the theme and plot. Don't keep mecha 3DCG but characters 2D. The animation style really reminds me of Sunrise's Freedom OVA and the plot is loosely similar.

Them angela ass shots. Seems like autumn 2014 had a motorcycle cockpit vibe with Cross Ange's para mails also having it. and Dingo's loli, only roughly works since biologically 16 year old Angela has big oppai and bounce.

So the three gods of Deva are Ganesha, Zeus and what I assume to be an Oni?

Using a railgun to blow up a nuke (whatever it was) before it hits the ground with the side effect of disrupting Deva's communications via EMP burst, nice.

I wished Dingo or at least one of the humans of Deva joined Frontier Setter on his journey. If it were Dingo, seems there could be a space western sequel lol

I can see Mizushima's influence (similar ending to the gundam 00 movie) and Urobuchi's influence since it had the post-apocalyptic nature I saw in his other lighter hearted series, Gargantia

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 3, 2017 5:01 PM

Feb 2015
wow
just
wow

It was the first movie or even anime I've ever watched that I enjoyed from the very start to the very end

story
music
characters
well made cgi, better than any I have ever seen
epic fights

Everything about this movie is awesome
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 20, 2017 4:57 PM

Oct 2014
Angela Ballsac is top tier waifu material.
Jan 1, 2018 2:25 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Pretty enjoyable flick. Solid story and some of the best cgi animation I've seen coming from Japan. I hope we get a sequel at one point.

RebelPanda said:
Angela Ballsac is top tier waifu material.

Oh yeah!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 2, 2018 2:09 AM
Jul 2018
I Loved it but i feel sorry for Frontier Setter i would have joined him on his journey
Feb 11, 2018 1:33 PM

Oct 2015
The movie was fine, but the CGI were not to my liking. As for the action scenes they were awesome, especially when Angela went mecha badass on them. I am glad Frontier setter went to earth safely, I kinda loved that AI and I am glad Angela betrayed Deva for it.

It wasn't that great of a plot but it was decent and the characters were typical, so its a.

6/10, because it still needs work.
lihle808Feb 11, 2018 1:37 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 24, 2018 2:33 AM

Dec 2015
This was a very enjoyable, average film.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 28, 2018 12:47 AM
Aug 2011
Ok, This has been bothering me for a while but does she even have legs/feet below the knee because those shoes look like they're attached to her feet.
Dec 16, 2019 8:21 PM

Aug 2013
Decent Movie, but not good. The last 30 minutes kinda saved it.
More accurate review after a rewatch, because I didn't really pay attention after the beginning section.
Mar 8, 2020 2:23 PM

Nov 2019
Average movie. 5/10
May 27, 2020 8:17 AM

Oct 2016
I really don't like this style of animation that seems so prevalent now, but the story was fine. Decent stab at what human evolution might look like someday. I also enjoyed the nod to Ergo Proxy, but I liked that in this case the statues were of gods of different cultures, not just greek. But I can't help but wonder why they would model themselves after gods of cultures they otherwise aim to expel through the omission of music etc. Surely if their goal is to make people forget about what Earth was like they wouldn't make themselves giant visual cues.
Jul 20, 2020 7:03 AM

Oct 2013
It's a solid 7/10 until the extended action sequence during the last half hour, which killed the film's momentum.

As always, I like Urobuchi's societal commentary. The idea of Frontier Setter wandering space eternally as the "child of mankind," eventually forgotten by the few who knows he exists, exceptionally tragic.

The English dub's central trio is star-studded, too. Steven Blum, Wendee Lee, and Johnny Young Bosch in one cast? Shit.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Nov 13, 2020 2:20 PM

Jun 2020
well i did not expect that to be a decent film. i thought it was going to be complete trash...
6/10, pretty good animation and angela balzac is fuckin hot
Mar 6, 2021 8:18 AM

Feb 2020
CGI looks bad to my eyes. It looks like one of those videogame graphics, very jarring especially in motion. They were like those papercut characters in 2d background which looks very ugly. I would prefer normal CGI (aka bad cgi) rather than this weird so called "good CGI"

Plot- Nothing special, Last time in gargantia Human advancement = squids and this time in this movie human advancement = software. I hate Urobutcher shallow portrayal of humanity every time. Lot of ironies in the plot like every Urobutcher works eg - advanced human think rock music is crappy and unnecessary but at the same time finds meaning in having different religion's god statues which is supposed to be the real superficial thing ( whether software human requiring religion is a talk of another day) or kind of how advanced human looked and felt more AI or npc and real AI felt like human masquerading as AI
Also last battle was kind of funny how dingo and ball sac went overpowered, beating a horde of mecha by themself

Characters - they literally made a movie out of 3 characters...lol (rest of the characters shown in mal were literally cameo characters). Characters felt like cheap visual novel characters who says lot of cheesy lines and fan service. I mean characters name were Dingo (the cowboy ), ball sac (the butt girl), Frontier Setter ( an AI with guiter and a cap)... I don't know what to expect at this point.

Well, it's a urobotcher movie. So partiality happens (like high cg praises, high score for a cg, stupid plot = intelligent, minor cameo character like Yzak not only getting a place in mal character list, but also having favorites...who even was that guy?)

Atleast there is no butchery from urobutcher ( Though the end credits still showed his Nihilism)
AdampkJul 15, 2021 8:51 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Apr 18, 2021 6:46 PM

Dec 2018
there is a complete Eonian Arise version somewhere?
Oct 6, 2021 2:11 AM
Jan 2020
Very decent film. The Mecha fight scenes was really good tbh, I wish all ofCG Mecha's at least looked good as that. 7/10
Dec 1, 2021 2:38 AM

Jul 2015
Nothing outstanding but still decent movie overall. The concept of humans becoming computerised is interesting and also Angela's THICC body was fascinating to see.

Feb 10, 2022 5:41 PM

Apr 2015
is there any continuation of this one? how's the ending in the light novel?
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Mar 15, 2022 4:31 AM
Jun 2021
This movie to me was amazing for its time when it released. The CG at times felt good and really wasn’t that bad at times. This was the Sci-fi movie I needed to see and it delivered with its interesting plot. As of now, this movie is a hidden gem for anime movie.
Aug 15, 2022 8:08 PM

Mar 2010
Very nice fights in the end! Was sometimes a bit hard to follow... I am sad that the little robot don't have a friend to travel with it. :(
Sep 28, 2022 1:31 PM

Apr 2017
I'll fully admit that the only reason I even heard of this movie was thanks to Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but I ended up watching it anyway.

And I enjoyed it. Might not have been the greatest movie of all time, but I had a great time.

I'm a sucker for transhumanism, so this was right up my alley.
Nov 22, 2022 6:57 AM

Oct 2021
That was pretty cool movie, those 3d fight animation was great. Really enjoyed it 8/10 :)
Alvie48xiNov 23, 2022 7:27 AM
Nov 28, 2022 1:09 AM
Oct 2018
its quite surprising and i'm glad to see that there are still people watching this movie in 2022, in case anyone want to know, the team behind this movie already announced that they're going to make a new anime original, the details will be revealed on spring next year but based on the visual teaser released around a week ago, it looks like Angela will return with short hair and a slightly different outfit
Dec 20, 2022 2:14 PM

Jul 2021
Damn it Angela, you are just a glorified NFT, you could have copy pasted yourself, and went to space!
Dec 23, 2022 7:19 AM

Aug 2018
aw, i wish Frontier Setter all the best!

great movie overall
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» It might just be me but

mydaddy - Apr 27

5 by Rhae »»
Apr 28, 2:52 PM

» Sequel

Chipp12 - Jan 26

9 by Yay267 »»
Feb 7, 9:21 AM

» what's the name of that song Dingo sings with his guitar before the end credits roll

YeetDabMcFapDab - Nov 20, 2022

1 by Renzoku_Rentou »»
Nov 28, 2022 1:00 AM

» Rated R+ for mild nudity?

TaigaStyle - Jan 14, 2015

6 by Felkyr »»
May 27, 2020 8:11 AM

» The BD/DVD will come out on 10 December.

rederoin - Sep 14, 2014

38 by DangerMouseDM »»
Apr 30, 2015 11:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.